• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Every time the little icon telling me a game I have installed is leaving the service soon pops up I remember why it'd be horrible for gaming if this became the main way of consuming games.

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
I'm old school. I'd rather pay more for what I want and have a physical copy, than pay less and get access to some games I might like and don't really own.

until AAA games I desire start being game pass exclusive, I'm good.

Same. I've had 4 months of Game Pass now and not even completed a game. I go in certain I'll be getting value but then I just end up dropping stuff really quickly.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
My English is not native, but what would "sustainable business model" mean?

It means that they're not hemorrhaging money from it but it also doesn't necessarily mean it's profitable. It could very well be a money loser but other revenue streams can cover for it. At the end of the day, we won't know if it's profitable unless they explicitly say so.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I like Gamepass because I get to try a bunch of different games that I otherwise wouldn't have bothered with.

If I seriously like it, I can buy it at a discount.

If I want something that's not offered on Gamepass, I just buy it.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
There are only a select few games that I will play through again so I am all for a subscription service saving me money. The same way I'd rather pay monthly to watch Netflix shows instead of $40 for a season of a show that I will most likely never watch again unless it's Game of Throne quality. I'd pay $60 for something like Elden Ring but those kind of games are few and far between compared to the 7/10 games that I won't touch again. Game Pass is great for that.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
Once MS' new studios are all firing on all cylinders and all their games are day 1 on GamePass, its gonna be a huge deal.

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017
As I sat down and watched the PS5 event I counted at least 8 games I would definitely want to play.

Spider-Man
DeathLoop
Horizon
Ratchet and Clank
That Gary Whitta / Square Enix game
Sack boy Adventure
Kina (the little black monsters and the girl with the staff)
Demon Souls

All these amazing games (hell you can throw Ghost of ....in there as well)

seeing how I don't know how much all these games would be at retail, let's say $60 a pop, that's $480 before taxes. Let's say a couple of them are $40 a pop instead of $60 so let's say $400 without taxes.

Then I look at Gamepass and what was just released, three kingdom hearts game's and the newest version of No Man's Sky, plus every first party game Microsoft will show in July. At the cost of $10 a month.

Those sneaky fucks, they have hard wired my brain to no longer want to pay for games.

am I still getting a ps5? Of course, am I still picking up Spider-Man? Yeah don't be ridiculous, but I'm not picking up anything else outside of Destiny and COD for online purposes.

Yeah Sony has "exclusives" but exclusives does not mean i will fork over money day 1. I would like them to address this in the coming months. The world is already in a subscription model. I want them to adapt to that. Because you know what makes more money than 5 million people owning a game, 50 million people subscribed to a service and buying games off that service.
I feel the same way! I need that PS5 for the exclusives but I can wait a couple of years until a good bunch of games I want come out. In the meantime I can get an Xbox and use that gamepass sub I have prepaid for 2 more years. I'll definitely keep gamepass going though, it's really good.

What's crazy is how good this strategy is for Microsoft. I skipped the Xbox One but now they have me again.

Dec 31, 2017
Every time the little icon telling me a game I have installed is leaving the service soon pops up I remember why it'd be horrible for gaming if this became the main way of consuming games.
The games stay in the service for so long that it kind of is your problem if you didn't take the time to play it. And you always have the choice of buying. This isn't about replacing, it's all about options. Just like I have Netflix and still buy movies.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
35tsm8M.jpg
Not sure what this is tryin to convey but I will be purchasing The Last of Us 2 on sale whenever that happens as I did the original. Got a lot on my play as it is. Would be even cooler if I could reasonably wait for it to pop up on a Sony service Im paying for.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
They did crunch the numbers. Since last gen Playstation made PS+ mandatory for online play and Nintendo tied classics and online to a sub. Sony already more profitable this gen because of PS+. They then tried PS Vue and changing PS Now to give it features that people liked from Gamepass with a more aggressive price.

Most companies though can't radically change its offerings without planning (which is why it's taking so long for real Netflix competition) so you'll see each company handle subs in a way that works best for them.
Yep. PS vue was a failure and they had to shut it down. PSnow they had to drastically change it to offer downloads, more recent games. Before that they only subscriber numbers were pitiful. Its doing better but pales significantly to game pass. Game pass is the standard right now.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Game Pass is awesome and is still enough of a factor to make the Series X desirable to me. It was operating these last couple of months as the system selling factor for me and had me pretty convinced that the Series X would be my at-launch pick for 2020.

However, I am a huge fan of PlayStation exclusives and internally determined that if Sony got a Spidey, Gran Turismo, or Horizon follow up at or near launch, that would absolutely change my mind toward a PS5. All three were announced to my pleasure, with Spidey coming out this year. That's all it took for me. I know they didn't set a release date, but Demon's Souls is winning me over too, and I have a gut feeling it'll come out sometime in the first half of 2021.

I'll still get Series X later and Game Pass will be the biggest reason why, but I value the PlayStation portfolio way more personally.

Oct 25, 2017
It would cost Sony or Nintendo much more to run a service like that though. Sony even partnered with ms for their services.

www.google.com

Sony and Microsoft team up on cloud-based gaming and entertainment

In an unlikely turn of events, Microsoft and Sony announced today that they are to tackle the future of entertainment. The companies are planning to work together to build future cloud solutions in Microsoft Azure that will support gaming and content streaming. Sony will also use Microsoft data...

Game pass is literally just downloading games from a store something they already do with digital purchases in general and PS Now

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, i have to buy those games?
Wow, that is anti-consumer.
Where's the petition.

Seriously, ....uh yeah OP. Thats usually the plan. Buy the product.

Gamepass is great for what it offers tho. More power to MS and other companies if they decide to go that route.

I got Crackdown 3 a few months ago. Didnt sub to Gamepass to even test it first. So I guess it really just comes down to the individual.

I'm already what both of them are looking for in a consumer: I'm basically all digital now. Subscription services tho? I tried EA Access when I first got the One S. And it was great, games available, no extra money out of pocket. Its just something i cant get behind on a regular basis, unless it was the only option available on the platform.

I think both MS and Sony need to consolidate their services. IMHO....Gamepass is redundant with Games with Gold. Why the separate service when they could have just expanded Games with Gold? I see they are trying to do that now, but one of their services might need to go for it to be a real value.

Will be interesting to see how each company tweaks their services for next gen.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I love Gamepass but let's all be honest. Microsoft didn't have the IP stable to compete with Sony or Nintendo this gen and needed something to really differentiate themselves. I think Gamepass is a tremendous value but it doesn't change the fact that Sony have far more games that I personally want to play than MS has at any given time. I think though now with the amount of new studios they have that Gamepass could be a huge deal but I have two subscriptions of it and me and my friend have already blazed through most of its worthwhile content and thats from it offering over 7 years of video games. I've made this argument before but Microsoft just doesn't produce the quality of titles that Sony does and so Gamepass doesn't get the marks of superiority when compared against the other two consoles. I think it is a genius move for Microsoft though and its a big reason I'm buying the XSX it just doesn't detract from Sony or Nintendo at all cause to me they make better games.
Yea,GamePass is great value....but it does not devalue the competitions offerings,because they both make too many incredible games you simply can't play on Xbox.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Game Pass is a lot more than first party titles, but if that's the focus of the conversation it's pretty simple: people are willing to pay for Sony's exclusives, to get consoles for Sony's exclusives. It has been since the first half of the Xbox 360 that I think the same can be broadly said for Microsoft, so instead they are selling them on Game Pass.

Or, and again this if if you are focusing on exclusives, ask yourself: would you prefer to pay $300ish during the generation for Microsoft's exclusives or three times that for Sony's? For some the savings is worth it. For many, like myself, I value stuff like Uncharted, God of War, The Last of Us, Spider-Man, Bloodborne, etc. more even though I am going to pay more.

Plus it's nice to "own" my games when possible.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Gamepass is great and all but the fact that some games go away and arent permanent is a bit eh for me.

I had Gamepass due getting a new PC and the only reason why I started using it was for the MS first party games Gears of War 1 and 4.

I'd prefer buying them specifically on Steam.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Didn't Phil Spencer already state that it is a working/profitable business model?

Phil Spencer will know better than me, so I can't argue against that. But I still maintain that there will be very intelligent people at both Sony and Nintendo crunching the numbers and, presumably, they've come to a different conclusion. At the moment.

Dr Guildo

Oct 27, 2017
France
Not sure what this is tryin to convey but I will be purchasing The Last of Us 2 on sale whenever that happens as I did the original. Got a lot on my play as it is. Would be even cooler if I could reasonably wait for it to pop up on a Sony service Im paying for.

It means you have to pay full price for quality, excellence and AAA experience.

Jul 4, 2018
Are you suggesting that people value different things?! What an insane thought! It has to be CHEAP to have value sir!!
I would never say such a thing?!

I think the iPhone SE is a great example of how value can deviate from just being cheap stuff, its got a pretty bad screen, the form factor is that of a 2 year old phone, but its iOS and a very very very powerful chip for $400

For some, they only need the last two, for others (like me) I want an effective screen and I greatly enjoy stock Android.

So yeah, for some people, the fact the PS5 allows them to play a Sackboy platformer might be enough (legit does look good that game), some people might look at Lockhart + game pass + the monthly payment plan and leap in because the barrier for entry is so low a new hardware launch.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
I only have a limited time & energy for games. I like to boutique shop the best titles as they release instead of subscribing to a small subset of games. Netflix works because it's 30-90 minute passive experiences.

May 12, 2020
I've been using GameFly since 360 days and I love it. Game pass is good for consumers but bad for MS especially when it comes to marketing and sales. Remember when MS used to boast about incredible Halo launch numbers. They can no longer do that with GamePass. Online activity is not the same as sales numbers.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
One game selling 5 million is better than spreading the revenue out from those 50 million subscribers for the various developers. Also 50 million subs will only happen if the next Xbox does much better than the current One. Hopefully it does, I'm excited about it but this game pass stuff is brought up as some gaming savior. Let's say there are 10 must have exclusives next gen on Xbox they will surely be spread out over the course of the systems life do you would have to maintain the sub for what 6-7 years at $10 a month? Maybe there will be other worthwhile titles but I bet there will be several months where someone looks at the games available and jus not be interested yet still pay the sub.

Maybe? There are 350-400 games on Game Pass at any one time...

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game Pass is awesome and is still enough of a factor to make the Series X desirable to me. It was operating these last couple of months as the system selling factor for me and had me pretty convinced that the Series X would be my at-launch pick for 2020.

However, I am a huge fan of PlayStation exclusives and internally determined that if Sony got a Spidey, Gran Turismo, or Horizon follow up at or near launch, that would absolutely change my mind toward a PS5. All three were announced to my pleasure, with Spidey coming out this year. That's all it took for me. I know they didn't set a release date, but Demon's Souls is winning me over too, and I have a gut feeling it'll come out sometime in the first half of 2021.

I'll still get Series X later and Game Pass will be the biggest reason why, but I value the PlayStation portfolio way more personally.

See, this is perfectly agreeable. It's fine to prefer certain ecosystems or games and choose your preferences of hardware based on them. Your favourites include Gran Turismo and Spiderman. Those will not be on Xbox, so even if all their games were free you'd still not get those you wanted the most.

But then half the thread is worrying about Microsoft's finances, concern trolling about devs' sustainability and devaluing games, as if devs or publishers were forced to sign deals for Game Pass (or PS Now, for that matter). Games are always gonna be the main factor, and if you love franchises like Gears or Ori, Game Pass allows you to get them ridiculously cheap day one. OP would like a similar option for PlayStation but as for now it does not exist.

M4xim1l1ano

Oct 29, 2017
Santiago, Stockholm, Vienna
It means that they're not hemorrhaging money from it but it also doesn't necessarily mean it's profitable. It could very well be a money loser but other revenue streams can cover for it. At the end of the day, we won't know if it's profitable unless they explicitly say so.

So it is a working model that fits Microsoft because their other revenue streams? So maybe therefore Sony and Nintendo "cannot" do it or won't do it.. they don't have the same financial possibilities to do it?

Hmm.. we are then back at Schrödingers war chest..(sometimes Xbox has access to it, sometimes not)
😜😎

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
IN a year the last of us 2 will probably be on sale somewhere for 10 dollars. I know that's how I got spiderman at that price a year after launch.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
As I sat down and watched the PS5 event I counted at least 8 games I would definitely want to play.

Spider-Man
DeathLoop
Horizon
Ratchet and Clank
That Gary Whitta / Square Enix game
Sack boy Adventure
Kina (the little black monsters and the girl with the staff)
Demon Souls

All these amazing games (hell you can throw Ghost of ....in there as well)

seeing how I don't know how much all these games would be at retail, let's say $60 a pop, that's $480 before taxes. Let's say a couple of them are $40 a pop instead of $60 so let's say $400 without taxes.

Then I look at Gamepass and what was just released, three kingdom hearts game's and the newest version of No Man's Sky, plus every first party game Microsoft will show in July. At the cost of $10 a month.

Those sneaky fucks, they have hard wired my brain to no longer want to pay for games.

am I still getting a ps5? Of course, am I still picking up Spider-Man? Yeah don't be ridiculous, but I'm not picking up anything else outside of Destiny and COD for online purposes.

Yeah Sony has "exclusives" but exclusives does not mean i will fork over money day 1. I would like them to address this in the coming months. The world is already in a subscription model. I want them to adapt to that. Because you know what makes more money than 5 million people owning a game, 50 million people subscribed to a service and buying games off that service.
A lot of valid points. come launch day many XSX and Lockhart owners will only need to buy the consoles cos that's all they'll need and I bet towards launch MS will go in big time on GP towards announcing a couple of AAA 3P titles launching into the service day one too. It's going to be interesting.

benhan

Oct 30, 2017
Game Pass certainly forced Sony to adapt. Their PS Now service is far behind in subscription number and is not expanding quick enough. However PlayStation has 40 million Plus subscriber giving them $5 a month just for playing online. If they can combine Plus and Now for $10 a month and include 1st party games 3 months after release, that would be a GP killer.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I can see plenty of potential buyers weighing things up like this. There are games I'd buy blindly like Spiderman, but others where I'd like to try but not be willing to fork over $60 (not a fan of R&C but happy to try it, but would not risk losing money over it), sub model fixes that by converting curiosity into engagement, and potentially grow I.Ps .

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think games like Concrete Genie would be made if they were only part of a subscription service, so I'm happy to pay full price.

Aska

Jan 11, 2020
XGP for me is great for games I would like to give it a go.

But for the big games I like, I don't mind paying for those.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
How are the game's devalued if you're still paying full price for them and Microsoft compensates devs and the devs themselves say it has helped them.

Your entire OP is literally based on the premise you no longer want to pay for most PS5 games because of Game Pass. How's that not devaluing them in your mind?

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
Are we going to act as if Sea of Thieves a 2 year old game hasn't sold 500k at 40$ in 11 days? If a Microsoft game as Gears 5 hasn't sell well, it's because it lack of quality and not because MS games doesn't sell well lol.

PD: 500k only on Steam, if i remember well Rare said that the half of the Sea of Thieves player base has buy the game, that like 5 millions copies (10 millions player base).

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Threads like this is the reason why I'm glad I did not go into game development...despite majoring in design and programming in school and created a few simple games during my past time.

I now works in a bank IT dept doing mundane infrastructure work but earning 6figures per annum. I'll be probably living in a dumpster rental room if I went into indie development route.

I'm glad OP convinced my choice is right.

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
We have access to "free" games on Game Pass, PS+, Epic game store. Tons of sales on all platforms from Steam to the e-shop where games are dirt cheap. Bundles like the recent itch.io bundle give you literally over 1200 games for a couple of bucks

Quantity of games I can play for cheap is at the bottom of my list of priorities. There's enough to play for free/cheap. Time is much more valuable to the vast majority of gamers these days when the amount of game content always outweighs the time you can spend on it at any given time.

Luckily quality is on all these platforms mentioned as well, so the only deciding factor is my own taste.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Threads like this is the reason why I'm glad I did not go into game development...despite majoring in design and programming in school and created a few simple games during my past time.

I now works in a bank IT dept doing mundane infrastructure work but earning 6figures per annum. I'll be probably living in a dumpster rental room if I went into indie development route.

This post certainly is something.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Phil Spencer will know better than me, so I can't argue against that. But I still maintain that there will be very intelligent people at both Sony and Nintendo crunching the numbers and, presumably, they've come to a different conclusion. At the moment.

Sony's and Nintendo products and market share are also different from MS ones, so different situation---> different numbers--->different conclusion.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, but when it comes to dropping over $1000 on both systems at launch, money starts to get a little tight. The reality is Gamepass has me looking at other companies press events with caution to my wallet.
Okay but the quality of Microsoft first party hasn't really been great other than forza horizon, it's been pretty underwhelming for a while now and that's why they have gamepass. Gamepass is a good service but it's definitely not the game changer some are passing it off as

Oct 28, 2019

Lmao

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still like to pay for games I really like, even if GamePass is a thing. Gotta support the devs.

EDIT: Just to clarify, since everyone is quoting me now, I know GamePass supports the devs. I meant I like to support them directly by purchasing the games. That's all.

You could also buy DLC without buying the main game. That's one of the better ways of getting the game cheap with GP but also supporting the devs AND getting more content.