• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
I don't see that as an issue....if you want to own the games you have to buy them. Plus you can always sell them.

Gamepass is a great deal but I prefer owning my games and seeing how well Sony exclusives sell, there's no pressure to do a Gamepass service

Respawn

Dec 5, 2017
Even without the great value of game pass, games drop price significantly really quickly. There is not much reason to buy games day one (except multiplayer games) imo, and if you wait a year you can probably buy all these games at 1/3rd their day one price.
DariusBurst says hello lol. Damn game is still $59.99 wth

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
If Microsoft had the amount and quality of Nintendo and Sony exclusives, Gamepass wouldn't be $10.

I personally like to own what I play anyway, so for me the decision is clear.

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
If Microsofts first party lineup was as strong as Sonys and each game sold around 10 million copies, would Gamepass offer every game at launch, or would it be similar to PS now?

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'll play them eventually, how much did someone here pay for all 3 of those kingdom hearts games, I paid $10

Thats the difference at the launch of next gen, we will both be getting unique games but one side will see more value per dollar spent. Eventually the consumer market that exists outside of these forums will catch onto that.
Value per dollar is irrelevant since entertainment is inherently subjective. Someone can see more value per dollar spent with Mario Odyssey instead of with the entirety of MS 1st party games on Gamepass for exemple.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, sweet Baby Yoda, why did I go into this thread?

Support the devs. Buy physical and resell if you want to save some money. Ilove Gamepass too.
GamePass is supporting the devs, just not in the conventional model you're implying is the only one around. GamePass leads to more game sales.
That might change in the future, but Game Pass is a loss leader right now. The onus is still on Microsoft to prove this is viable.
Loss leader? I mean, we talked about this a few months back on this very same forum. Phil Spencer has even gone on record as saying "We're definitely investing in it, but not investing in a way that's unsustainable." Revisit this old thread, too.

I like gamepass but prefer buying games.
Oh, wow, you can do both. Whoa!

I have, several times now, purchased titles I've played on GamePass to own. These things aren't mutually exclusive.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep game pass is incredible.

Halo Infinite
Forza Horizon 5
Fable by Playground games
Initiatives new game (Perfect Dark?)
State of Decay 3
Everwild by Rare
Gears of War 6?
Hellblade 2
Wasteland 3
Psychonauts 2
Compulsions next game
Microsoft Flight Simulator
Age of Empires 4
Day One launch indies
Exclusive second party games
Recent third party games

All on game pass. Which i paid peanuts for 3 years for. It feels like I'm playing them all for free.

And that's cool. i'm also a game pass payed user for the next 3 years but when i see this list i see maybe 2-3 titles i would pay full price on day 1 for. luckily Ms doesn't expect me to do so and i'm happy if they're happy with this deal.

Everyone has their preferences i like sonys or even nintendos games a lot more than microsofts but mayb this'll change withthe new studios. I'm very much looking forward to the new fable.

But outside of a few exclusives game pass isn'tworth it for me personally. I had game pass on pc for over a year and i played gears 5 (loved it) and tested 2-3 games for about 30 minutes each. Most 3rd-party games i like i've already played day 1 years ago.

Game Pass is a great deal for Xbox fans and players who don't want to play everything they like day 1. I do and so Game pass looses a big fat part of its shine.

I really hope Xboxs exclusiv line up will be hot af this gen.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
GamePass is fantastic value and it's probably the future of gaming, but it's not for me. I don't have the time to play too many games, so I only like to buy and own the ones I'm interested in. That's the great thing about Xbox, though, it's offering both so there's something for everyone
Yep game pass is only going to grow and grow. Its pretty much inevitable. MS already sees the future with this. ten years people gonna wonder how they ever lived without it. Especially with the continuing rise of digital and subscriptions in every facet of entertainment.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Reminder that the company that sells more software these days is Nintendo, and they sell remasters at $60.

I bet ANY company that could do it, would, including MS.

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
I gotta agree with OP, but that's something that impact me more when I watch the Xbox shows where all I see are games that I'll be able to play at no extra charge because I already have Game Pass for the next 3 years.

Oct 27, 2017
Nobody is forced to subscribe to Gamepass. Gamepass gives choice and choices are good.

You can buy all the games you want, and by choice, if available you can play some on Gamepass. That's not so hard to accept that.

I will be more than happy if Sony gives me that chance to play their 1st party games day one on some similar subscription service

Oct 27, 2017
The World
Yep game pass is incredible.

Halo Infinite
Forza Horizon 5
Fable by Playground games
Initiatives new game (Perfect Dark?)
State of Decay 3
Everwild by Rare
Gears of War 6?
Hellblade 2
Forza Motorsport 8
Wasteland 3
Psychonauts 2
Compulsions next game
Microsoft Flight Simulator
Age of Empires 4
Day One launch indies
Exclusive second party games
Recent third party games

All on game pass. Which i paid peanuts for 3 years for. It feels like I'm playing them all for free.

All this certainly gives me joy ;)

Nah, the words joy and Microsoft/Xbox can't be uttered in the same post.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Nobody is forced to subscribe to Gamepass. Gamepass gives choice and choices are good.

You can buy all the games you want, and by choice, if available you can play some on Gamepass. That's not so hard to accept that.

I will be more than happy if Sony gives me that chance to play their 1st party games.
Yep if you want to continue to buy the games on launch without subscription the option is there. MS is number 1 when it comes to choice and options.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
CD and DVD sales also suggested streaming wasn't a major competitor. Up until it was.
Microsoft isn't going to compensate every developer making games across the industry, or offer the defining games of competing platforms on their service, which is why the traditional means of buying games isn't going to be invalidated or overtaken just because Xbox has decided on that approach. The problem with this premise is that people are being conditioned into being okay with not supporting developers because games still cost around the same as they always have. The phrase I've heard one too many times, "I'll just wait for it to come to Game Pass" is just grim.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
I don't like owning games so gamepass is perfect for me. Netflix started me on this path of not liking to own media. I'm never going back to preferring owning. It's antiquated for media

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
You know what OP.

As a former game dev, and someone who plays games pretty infrequently..I actually agree. A $10 sub service would be amazing and I would definitely prefer it over buying the actual game.

Shame it probably doesn't support the devs as much, I hope they can find a way to solve that problem.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Gamepass has been brilliant as I've been able to play games I would otherwise not have purchased.

Hellblade, Plague Tale, Alien Isolation.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Reminder that the company that sells more software these days is Nintendo, and they sell remasters at $60.

I bet ANY company that could do it, would, including MS.
Imagine Nintendo looking at 15M sold copies of New Horizon in two months and thinking "next time we should give this away for free day one as part of our new monthly sub"

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
I am subscribed to GamePass PC and like it. But I still think it will lead to a heavy GaaS future to be profitable. microsoft will need to put out content consistently. Minecraft Dungeons and Sea of Thieves have shown these tactic of "barebones" release that gets made into more and more as time goes on. Halo Infinite may be the same vein.
It will be interesting to see what games Microsoft will release a few years from now to keep Gamepass valuable once they increase the price. I am guessing many many GaaS titles with a few "one and done" A/AA games inbetween like Ori.

This is the same issue Netflix has. They burn through cash trying to keep new content on the service. And as new streaming services open up and they lose access to content they used to get, it makes that spending even more necessary. Its a constant battle.

With gaming the only way to combat this will be getting people to stick with the same content for longer periods of time. GaaS will be a requirement for a lot of their stuff. And thats just not for me.

Imagine Nintendo looking at 15M sold copies of New Horizon in two months and thinking "next time we should give this away for free day one as part of our new monthly sub"

Its funny because I actually never hear that Ninte do should give away their games for 1-10 bucks a month on a rental service. Only Sony. Or maybe I just dont see those threads.

Oct 25, 2017
Subscription services devalue games, there's plenty of people with OP's mindset now after Game Pass.

I really do think this could become a problem.

I mean you talk about gamepass being $10 a month and people will tell you they never pay even that much for the service. Game pass itself is being devalued because it's been on sale one way or another since launch.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Pay a one time payment to own games I want to play....or pay a recurring monthly payment to have access to hundreds I'll never boot up.
Yea,GamePass is great value,but it's certainly not how I want to do my gaming.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Ah okay this is a reaction to that other stupid thread. I thought we were having a discussion in earnest. Nevermind then, go on.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Gamepass is a great service, I had it for 6 months last year and thought it was great even if the selection left me wanting.

For me though, nothing on there touched PlayStation exclusives like Spider-Man, The Last of Us, Horizon, The Last Guardian or God of War. All of those games (except for Spider-Man) I bought months down the line for <$20 and I can come back to them whenever I want.

This isn't even getting into the value of Nintendo games like Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, Super Smash Bros., etc... which never go down in price. At the end of the day, $60 for a video game is honestly less than they're probably worth given development costs. I have no problem paying that or waiting for a sale down the line.

OP
OP
TheGhost

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
You know what OP.

As a former game dev, and someone who plays games pretty infrequently..I actually agree. A $10 sub service would be amazing and I would definitely prefer it over buying the actual game.

Shame it probably doesn't support the devs as much, I hope they can find a way to solve that problem.
But we know it does support the devs and it leads to more sales.

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
You can still buy the games on Gamepass for a discount which has saved me a ton.

Lots of games I thought I would enjoy I ended up not liking as much after playing on GamePass.

At the same time, a lot of games I would have written off I tried and ended up loving.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Happy to pay to support the developers and own my copies.

Streaming/subscription services have altered the way my wife and I get content. We don't buy movies anymore or TV box sets.

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
I don't get it, games launching on Gamepass are still a small fraction

for example timed exclusives like those from Bethesda or Square would not be avaiable on Gamepass even if they were not timed exclusives
You can use Gamepass as your only option for gameing only if you are ok with playing Xbox first parties and some indies on launch and some 1-2-3 years old games, but I don't think the majority here would be ok with this