• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
As I sat down and watched the PS5 event I counted at least 8 games I would definitely want to play.

Spider-Man
DeathLoop
Horizon
Ratchet and Clank
That Gary Whitta / Square Enix game
Sack boy Adventure
Kina (the little black monsters and the girl with the staff)
Demon Souls

All these amazing games (hell you can throw Ghost of ....in there as well)

seeing how I don't know how much all these games would be at retail, let's say $60 a pop, that's $480 before taxes. Let's say a couple of them are $40 a pop instead of $60 so let's say $400 without taxes.

Then I look at Gamepass and what was just released, three kingdom hearts game's and the newest version of No Man's Sky, plus every first party game Microsoft will show in July. At the cost of $10 a month.

Those sneaky fucks, they have hard wired my brain to no longer want to pay for games.

am I still getting a ps5? Of course, am I still picking up Spider-Man? Yeah don't be ridiculous, but I'm not picking up anything else outside of Destiny and COD for online purposes.

Yeah Sony has "exclusives" but exclusives does not mean i will fork over money day 1. I would like them to address this in the coming months. The world is already in a subscription model. I want them to adapt to that. Because you know what makes more money than 5 million people owning a game, 50 million people subscribed to a service and buying games off that service.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I love Game Pass, but I'll pay for the Sony exclusives. Just like Nintendo, it's worth it.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Game Pass isn't going to change the way people are used to buying games if PS4 and Switch software sales are anything to go off, and unless Microsoft plans to compensate every single studio making games out there, I think we should not be trying to condition ourselves into expecting free games with a subscription and instead we should be thinking about not actually having a problem with supporting developers making the things we love.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Because you know what makes more money than 5 million people owning a game, 50 million people subscribed to a service and buying games off that service.

You can be certain that Sony (and Nintendo) have been crunching these numbers like crazy for the past couple of years, and they've come to a different conclusion at the moment. That might change in the future, but Game Pass is a loss leader right now. The onus is still on Microsoft to prove this is viable.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I do not completely agree with what you say but it is true that between Game Pass, Twitch Prime and the free games from the Epic Store, I am more reluctant to buy day 1 games. Sadly the most affected are the indies.

It is undoubtedly a paradigm shift in how we consume games.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think Sony is eventually going to expand their online offering to be GamePass like. And I'll probably be ready to buy their system when they do. I went with Xbox this gen because GamePass was too good to be ignored (and I wanted MHW to look really pretty on the X), but I'd love an excuse to dive into all the PlayStation exclusives I've missed out on.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I'm sure you would like sony address your lack of wanting to impart with your money and get the products for essentially free.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Subscription services devalue games, there's plenty of people with OP's mindset now after Game Pass.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you don't want to own your games, you can always use something like GameFly.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Half of them will be on PS+ at some point and all of them will wind up on sale for $15 or lower in a couple of years. You can play (and own) them all without spending very much if you're willing to wait.

Oct 27, 2017
The World
You can be certain that Sony (and Nintendo) have been crunching these numbers like crazy for the past couple of years, and they've come to a different conclusion at the moment. That might change in the future, but Game Pass is a loss leader right now. The onus is still on Microsoft to prove this is viable.

Every subscription starts as a loss leader. Surely you know that.

Doesn't mean the devs are going hungry or not earning or anything. We have even had multiple devs confirm their sales have been good with GamePass being there.

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately for you Sony sells their games and a shit ton of people buy them. If you don't want to, I don't think theyre gonna lose any sleep.

The rest of us will be playing those games that you want to play.

pretzel

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 9, 2019
Germany
Well, but what if I am only interested in 4 of these games? What about the ability to resell these games when actually purchased?
Yeah, games as a service will always be more expensive in the end. That's why this business model came into existence in the first place.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
Why would I pay for gamepass if I can get 90% of the content in the next THQ bundle?

atomsk

Oct 28, 2017
as long as physical media still exists (for the moment anyway) so do game rentals.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think we've had enough Gamepass threads lately. They're all the same.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, and you'll actually own them when you buy them. They can't be taken away from you when licensing runs out or the service shuts down.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Even without the great value of game pass, games drop price significantly really quickly. There is not much reason to buy games day one (except multiplayer games) imo, and if you wait a year you can probably buy all these games at 1/3rd their day one price.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
The upside is that Sony isn't afraid to put their games on sale. Waiting a few months always nets a decent discount. Majority of games these days aren't really mandatory Day 1 purchases for me, so I play the heavy hitters a while after release. Exception being like 3 or so games a year maybe.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
The thing is, they ARE putting these on sub models. They're doing the most obnoxious thing ever. They're getting the $60 and then WAITING and then putting their exclusives on PC and PSNOW. So they get the money on both ends. It's wild.

anyways, there's a cost to MS having game pass. You get odd genres and smaller games whereas every game is a AAA blockbuster on PS

Oct 27, 2017
The World

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
I see the value game pass represents for people. If PS had it I'd be excited, but I don't have any interest in most of MS' first party output. $10 a month still represents $120 a year and I spend less than that on games in a year anyway and don't have more time to play more games. I buy titles for cheap, resell them, and borrow from the library.

$400+ dollars on launch games looks expensive but I don't buy that many games and never at full price.

OP
OP
TheGhost

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Unfortunately for you Sony sells their games and a shit ton of people buy them. If you don't want to, I don't think theyre gonna lose any sleep.

The rest of us will be playing those games that you want to play.
I'll play them eventually, how much did someone here pay for all 3 of those kingdom hearts games, I paid $10

Thats the difference at the launch of next gen, we will both be getting unique games but one side will see more value per dollar spent. Eventually the consumer market that exists outside of these forums will catch onto that.

Oct 27, 2017
The thing is, they ARE putting these on sub models. They're doing the most obnoxious thing ever. They're getting the $60 and then WAITING and then putting their exclusives on PC and PSNOW. So they get the money on both ends. It's wild.

anyways, there's a cost to MS having game pass. You get odd genres and smaller games whereas every game is a AAA blockbuster on PS
How is that obnoxious?

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It made me try a lot of games I was interested in but I wouldn't have known for sure if they're worth buying. And even more importantly, going into next-gen, knowing that every Microsoft first party will be there means an immediate saving compared to PS5.

Tratorn

Oct 25, 2017
Well yea, you would have to pay the people who make these amazing games, you are right.

Smh. That's why Game Pass is such a terrible thing for this hobby, because of stupid mindesets like this.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would love to play these games on a Sony Game Pass but as long as that isn't going to happen i'll happily buy these games day 1 digital (as i did for years).

I simply won't stop playing games i'm looking forward to just because other services give m some games for a few bucks every month.

I say that as someone who has game pass ultimate payed for until 2023.

I'm really looking forward to see the new Halo, Psychonauts 2, etc. but those games, so far, don't make me stop wanting the PS5 games as soon as possible.

Aug 13, 2019
I recognize Gamepass's value, I even have a subscription. It expires November and I won't be continuing. I'm still firmly in the "I want to buy my games" camp.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Support the devs. Buy physical and resell if you want to save some money. Ilove Gamepass too.

Makes no sense to say support the devs and buying physical (devs get way less than digital) and reselling your game (devs get nothing from reselling used copies).

If you want to really support the devs buy digital

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Would rather buy my games tbh. Don't mind paying for good quality content than I get to OWN you know?

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I still like to pay for games I really like, even if GamePass is a thing. Gotta support the devs.

EDIT: Just to clarify, since everyone is quoting me now, I know GamePass supports the devs. I meant I like to support them directly by purchasing the games. That's all.

Last edited: