• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thanquol

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 4, 2020
I'm canadian and there's one thing I don't understand. Why was some people saying Trump had the authority to shut down everything when it started but now he doesn't have authority to stop states to reopen?

Isn't it federal above state laws?

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
So, safe to assume that conservatives now totally hate states rights, and the reason they loathe Obama so much is because he abused his Presidential powers by giving the states too much power that should have stayed, Godlike, with the President? And conservatives now hate the constitution, because it's Fake News with a liberal bias claiming the President doesn't have such powers, when they remember reading in class that he does?
They hate whatever they're told to hate by the loudest right-wing voice du jour. Consistency doesn't exist for them.

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
I'm canadian and there's one thing I don't understand. Why was some people saying Trump had the authority to shut down everything when it started but now he doesn't have authority to stop states to reopen?

Trump had control of authorities like the TSA and our borders and basically did nothing to protect the country from having infected folks enter our borders (no testing, no forced quarantine, not even proper questions). The airports are something the federal government had control over. However, if a state decides to shut down schools, etc. the federal government can't change that because those powers are given to the states. The founding fathers were scared of a federal government that was too powerful, which is why the states have their own powers.

As to what the states can do, it's because of the 10th Amendment to the US consitution. From Wikipedia:
"The Tenth Amendment (Amendment X) to the United States Constitution, which is part of the Bill of Rights, was ratified on December 15, 1791.[1] It expresses the principle of federalism and states' rights, which strictly supports the entire plan of the original Constitution for the United States of America, by stating that the federal government possesses only those powers delegated to it by the United States Constitution. All remaining powers are reserved for the states or the people."

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
I'll take "Things Barack Obama could have said to make Sean Hannity's head explode" for $200, Alex.

What is "My authority is total"?

Much like the feds in Canada, Trump had power over some things but not others.

There are things Trump should have done (such as mobilizing production), and he could certainly have called on all governors to initiate a lockdown, but he has no power to order them himself.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
What's funny is that Mike Pence answered the question of whether Trump's authority is total by qualifying it "In a crisis..." which is also not true.

Thanquol

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 4, 2020
Trump had control of authorities like the TSA and our borders and basically did nothing to protect the country from having infected folks enter our borders (no testing, no forced quarantine, not even proper questions). The airports are something the federal government had control over. However, if a state decides to shut down schools, etc. the federal government can't change that because those powers are given to the states. The founding fathers were scared of a federal government that was too powerful, which is why the states have their own powers.

As to what the states can do, it's because of the 10th Amendment to the US consitution. From Wikipedia:
"The Tenth Amendment (Amendment X) to the United States Constitution, which is part of the Bill of Rights, was ratified on December 15, 1791.[1] It expresses the principle of federalism and states' rights, which strictly supports the entire plan of the original Constitution for the United States of America, by stating that the federal government possesses only those powers delegated to it by the United States Constitution. All remaining powers are reserved for the states or the people."
Much like the feds in Canada, Trump had power over some things but not others.

There are things Trump should have done (such as mobilizing production), and he could certainly have called on all governors to initiate a lockdown, but he has no power to order them himself.
Ah got it thanks. A bit like in Canada then, some provinces did a shutdown before others and some provincial pms were displeased about the lack of airport shutdowns which were the federals responsibility amongst other things

feline fury

Dec 8, 2017
I feel the president is in a tough spot when he juxtaposes this against "I don't take any responsibility at all."

If the president has total power ... Then shouldnt the president bare some responsibility for the the lack of tests, lack of PPE, lack of ventilators, etc... Etc...

Will any Republicans see this obvious contradiction? No of course not. It's too logical.
These clips better be running in anti-Trump campaign ads non stop this fall.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
He's like God. He has the authority but you better not make him use it. And if you need help you better help yourself.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Remember when conservatives criticized progressives about labeling Trump an autocrat and wannabe dictator, etc? Oh they still do? And Trump still is?

At this point it literally doesn't matter what Trump says or does. I avoid 90% of these threads (which there are a lot, unfortunately for the country). No president in history has gotten away with what he's said and done. So I could come into every thread and get mad and yell at clouds or hope that when we have a chance to vote him out of office enough Americans are reasonable. Because if somehow Trump gets elected after all of this with a democratic nominee that as flawed as he is has reasonably broad appeal...then America deserves anything that comes its way.

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Meanwhile the West Coast (Washington, Oregon, California, and Nevada) forms a Pact and on the East Coast there's a multi-State Council (New York, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Rhode Island). This could end very "not well".

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
Not shock at all that he thinks of says this. I'm happy reporters went after him for it.

First he showed no leadership when it was clear the coronavirus was going to hit us. Then he continued his lack of leadership as it spread throughout the country. Now this fool thinks he can just tell the country when to start back up.

He is willing to let hundreds of thousands if not millions of people die so he can have his good economy to win an election

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He isn't exactly wrong, the primary check and balance on the executive branch is supposed to be congress and impeachment. And the president has gained more power every presidency since fdr. We saw how impeachment went. If they want to push for more power to the president there aren't a whole lot of laws to actually stop him, especially with owning the supreme court. Trump's stupidity is our greatest defense now.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
He isn't exactly wrong, the primary check and balance in the executive branch is supposed to be congress and impeachment. And the president had gained more every presidency since fdr. We saw how impeachment went. If they want to push for more power to the president there aren't a whole lot of laws to actually stop him, especially with owning the supreme court. Trump's stupidity is our greatest defense now.

No, he is exactly wrong.

The Constitution grants power to the states where ever it is not explicitly enumerated in the Constitution. It's a founding principle of American government and explicitly stated in the Constitution.

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

Now, of course, no Republicans would do anything about Trump abusing power. They didn't with ukraine, they didn't with the emoluments clause, they didn't with any of his illegal firings, they haven't with anything. So theyre granting him this leash.

But, constitutionally, the president does not have total power over the states at all. Infact the Constitution specifically rebukes this idea Even from a practical perspective he doesn't. 45/50 states have stay at home orders and have closed non-essential businesses, and the federal government has not once issued any stay at home order. So its non sensical that Trump could lift a stay at home order that he himself never gave.

Last edited:

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Thinks?

With the Republicans backing him up, he really is.
Thinks? He IS a dictator.

5Ep.gif

Balphon

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't think it was possible to be tautological and wrong at the same time.

Yet here we are.

Starshine

Oct 25, 2017
It's nice to think that in 20 years he'll either be dead or a jacked-up-looking 93 years old and finally irrelevant.

I hope I can live that long to see it for myself!

It gives me something to strive for through this time that we are living.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
What a joke. He has no authority to do anything like this. So delusional and it's gotten worse each year. What a nightmare human being.

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

No, he is exactly wrong.

The Constitution grants power to the states where ever it is not explicitly enumerated in the Constitution. It's a founding principle of American government and explicitly stated in the Constitution.

Now, of course, no Republicans would do anything about Trump abusing power. They didn't with ukraine, they didn't with the emoluments clause, they didn't with any of his illegal firings, they haven't with anything. So theyre granting him this leash.

But, constitutionally, the president does not have total power over the states at all. Infact the Constitution specifically rebukes this idea Even from a practical perspective he doesn't. 45/50 states have stay at home orders and have closed non-essential businesses, and the federal government has not once issued any stay at home order. So its non sensical that Trump could lift a stay at home order that he himself never gave.

One nuance to these points. Congress could probably override state stay at home orders pursuant to its power to regulate interstate commerce. Trump alone couldn't do it absent congressional authority though.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Trolling, history of trolling
Hey protest voters!

Care to comment on this?

BorganXI

Oct 27, 2017
WA
The GOP, Fox News, right wingers would absolutely lose their shit if Obama said this.

Or a million other things if Obama did or said that Trump has.

Unbelievable.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Doesn't he realize that by saying he has total authority he indirectly also claims full responsibility?
Trump wants all of the authority, all of the credit and NONE of the responsibility.
That's how things work in his world. The responsibility always falls on someone else.

Does it make sense? Of course not.
But it doesn't have to when you're a son of a bitch autocrat who has never been held accountable for anything and to anyone.

Spence

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Trump wants all of the authority, all of the credit and NONE of the responsibility.
That's how things work in his world. The responsibility always falls on someone else.

Does it make sense? Of course not.
But it doesn't have to when you're a son of a bitch autocrat who has never been held accountable for anything and to anyone.

Yes but if you have total authority you also have total responsibility, they go hand in hand, he really wants to be a dictator.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
It's sad that this is the best we can hope for from this president, that we can mostly shrug of these nonsensical autocratic impulses of his by way of the fact that he can't he even competently enact the powers he does have at a time like this, like the DPA.

Deleted member 41502

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 28, 2018

The president doesn't make laws. Congress would have to pass laws that he'd enact, or pass rules granting him some sort of emergency powers to regulate intra- or inner-state commerce. I don't think they have yet.... have they?