• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Is it me or the actress of Infinity's mom looks very professional. Her hand gestures, tones are very detail and sharp. The professionalism is at another level

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Is this a serious post? Haha I can't tell

I took acting class during college because it was mandatory, and most of us who were still amateur at that time found it difficult to interprete sequences of words into life. Most of us just read the script and took the stage, but we didnt inteprete it into our own character

But Infinity's mother, she is different. She really lives as her character. I think as a future scriptwriter, it is something that i really appreciate

Oct 27, 2017
Thnx mod. Apparently I can't search just found OT :).

So just finished watching the first season and I'm really impressed with the show. It really scratched that House of Cards itch, but with a younger cast and a lot more comedy thrown in. Really interested to see how the 2nd season turns out.

Oct 25, 2017
Man, Ricardo is so terrible.
Watching him act with Jessica Lange is like watching a broadway play but they had to replace one of the actors with someone in the audience last minute.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Episode 6:
For a second there I was like "dang I actually like the fact that after all that build up they're acknowledging Student Council President doesn't mean shit to the adults who actually make decisions" but then they pulled the rug from beneath my feet and gave us "actually the reason the adults who actually make the decisions don't give a shit what he has to say is because the other candidate technically won and they have decided he has no ~mandate~"

but lol @ the high school doing a production of assassins

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
A reasonably enjoyable show, though I guess I was hoping for something a bit more insane and manic after Scream Queens.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Episode 6:
For a second there I was like "dang I actually like the fact that after all that build up they're acknowledging Student Council President doesn't mean shit to the adults who actually make decisions" but then they pulled the rug from beneath my feet and gave us "actually the reason the adults who actually make the decisions don't give a shit what he has to say is because the other candidate technically won and they have decided he has no ~mandate~"

but lol @ the high school doing a production of assassins
To give the show the benefit of the doubt you can see it as the principal shutting him down when he went to scream at her

Like I don't think the girl can convince the adults to lose money for the straws stuff considering their contract

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
sometimes i forget that gwyneth paltrow isn't just someone who hawks new age/actually literally dangerous crap to other rich ladies, she can actually be a good and likable and fun actress.

edit: episode 6, still
they literally cast ricardo as john wilkes booth? he's like... one of the most important characters in the show...

Last edited:

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Episode 8 + series in general:
Alice actually becoming a normal person after the timeskip was something where I was like "oh, she's normal around Thad because he's a normal person and not a sociopath" but then the show as just like nope that's just how she is now, she has like actual emotions instead of being a weird robot.

They're trying to fuse AOC with Cynthia Nixon, the combination of an apathetic incumbent who never gets primaried + the subway is bad made that much clear. It doesn't really work that well because Nixon lost her bid and Payton is... not AOC. Which brings me to another point: Everyone in his inner circle hyping Payton up as someone Who Wants To Make A Difference and Cares About Issues or whatever feels so unearned. When McAffie yells at her girlfriend (after her girlfriend is all "Here are ways we can make school better that are more inclusive") that Payton has spent his whole life trying to make the world a better place, it was like, no he hasn't? We've even had access to his inner thoughts, we know he was driven solely by his pursuit of the White House.

I'm guessing they already filmed "season 2" because Netflix gave Ryan Murphy one bajillion dollars and also you don't hire Bette for a single episode sequel hook if you're not sure there will be any more episodes

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Like all of Murphy's shows I've seen, it's very watchable though in the back of my head it's like "This isn't really that good, but I want to keep watching." I only have two episodes left but I feel like it's sputtered a bit near the end.

I feel like whoever was in charge of the visuals drew a little too much from Wes Anderson/Rushmore.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I loved the first episode. Reminded me of Heathers a bit. Some very funny scenes. Zoey Deutch and Jessica Lange are great. The second episode was OK. I'll stick with it. The season isn't very long, and I love the concept.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got around to watching this and I have to say I was really disappointed and it wasn't what I expected.

I also expected the show to be more queer and thought from the trailer this would be the first Ryan Murphy show with a gay male main character. Especially with Ben Platt as the lead. Such wasted potential.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I still need to finish this, I'm on episode 8 of... wait of 8? Lol I really should have finished it (it was losing me hard near the end tho), I would probably put it as disapointment of the year alongside with Sabrina S2, if Game of Thrones didnt exist of course...

I also lost interest to finish it lately as it wouldnt feature on my top 10 for RatskyWatsky 's thread anyway so I didnt bother... do you see what you're doing to my viewing habits Ratsky? Damn it >_<

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I finished it. The show started with such promise, I really liked the first ep, but it mostly went downhill from there.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Picked this show up on a whim, having genuinely not heard of it at all and seeing it was listed as a comedy on Netflix.

Finished it in two sessions and absolutely loved it. Can't wait for season 2.

It kinda fills the hole in my heart for political intrigue that I had personally filled with Game of Thrones for almost a decade, but it's way funnier.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
I still need to finish this, I'm on episode 8 of... wait of 8? Lol I really should have finished it (it was losing me hard near the end tho), I would probably put it as disapointment of the year alongside with Sabrina S2, if Game of Thrones didnt exist of course...

I also lost interest to finish it lately as it wouldnt feature on my top 10 for RatskyWatsky 's thread anyway so I didnt bother... do you see what you're doing to my viewing habits Ratsky? Damn it >_<
I dipped out like halfway though the final episode when I realized that I didn't like any of the characters and couldn't care less about what happened to them.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Just got around to finishing this myself. Unlike a lot of people in here it seems, I didn't really care for it at the start, but grew to really like it by the end.

The only thing I wasn't convinced by was Payton and Alice's relationship, it just seemed odd to me. I was never convinced when he said he loved her, and it was obvious that it was River who he really loved.

Anyway, the actress reminded me a lot of Billie Lourde the way she talked.

And Astrid was great.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Watched 2 episodes just now and enjoyed them. Like I said about season 1 in here, it's not going to win any awards but I'm entertained.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Making my way through season two is such an interesting experience. This is a show that is just unique enough in its style and just sharp enough in its comedy (moments like James pushing all the computer monitors over and McAfee dryly says "you know maybe we shouldn't have lined those up") that I did legitimately find myself wanting to finish both seasons, and probably the ones to come.

But holy hell, this show is truly all over the place.
Who is Payton Hobart? Does he actually want good things? Is he a sociopath? Why is his character development an insane jumble of back-and-forths without much justification? Why did Skye try to murder him and then not go to jail and then became on of his closest advisors? Why does Georgina's character move from intensely caring mother trapped in a bad marriage in season 1 to her season 2 dynamic of being an almost comically-unaware-yet-impossibly-charismatic politician? How many times will they pull McAfee or James into weird situations where the show tries to convince you they've betrayed Payton and will never side with him again only to reverse that? Why does Alice become a normal person for like two episodes at the end of the first season and then go back to being the exact same robotic characterization? Why does Astrid even work for Payton's campaign at all in the second season?

I DESPERATELY want this show to have heart at its center. I want it to have this dynamic I'm rooting for. And the worst thing is they are SO CLOSE. The first episode I loved the dynamic that River was this foil to Payton that also served as his closest real connection. With River's suicide the show takes a heavier turn but they played at a very real and human element of Payton holding onto the one relationship that felt real to him against a world that didn't want him to hold on. And y'know, it had moments where I was truly ready to buy in to rooting for Payton as an existentially broken young man who lost the one person who may have centered him and now has to find himself all on his own. But they keep veering away from anything resembling Payton's humanity for episodes at a time and the only content is insane back-and-forth plot reversals (throuple is bad, throuple revealed, throuple turned into a positive, throuple ended, the reveal of the throuple ending is bad, ect) and some fun jokey moments (Georgina's "Loser, bye" text) that also reduce main cast characters to shockingly shallow caricatures. I saw the scene where Payton and Astrid talk about their night with River and how they both needed him as a grounding, authentic, truly loving force in their lives, but the next thing they do is this grossly artificial threesome dynamic with Astrid, Payton, and Alice, leading to the whole double-pregnancy plotline. The show chances upon these moments of genuine warmth, and not just warmth but warmth that verges on saying something meaningful about the human condition ( for example Payton's life as allegory for finding meaning and purpose in what you do, and knowing who you are actually are). But it can't bear to hold onto any threads that exhibit genuine heart or even consistency for more than two scenes at a time.

I'm really entertained by this show. Genuinely so. The aesthetic of it, the cinematography, and even the comedic writing. The only thing it needs is a central plot and characters with meaning and true human connection to drive my compassion for what happens and it lets me glimpse that potential before sinking back into this cold, absurdist veneer that dominates most of it.

It's this show I like and I'm begging to be able to love.

Last edited:

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I vaguely liked the first season but I couldn't finish the first episode of the second season. I just couldn't get back into it, and I didn't see any particular good reactions to it.

Maybe it just feels too goofy outside the highschool setting. It was cute in a "aww look at these teensy teens playing politics" but now when it's real politics and everyone acts the same way it just feels dumb.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I vaguely liked the first season but I couldn't finish the first episode of the second season. I just couldn't get back into it, and I didn't see any particular good reactions to it.

Maybe it just feels too goofy outside the highschool setting. It was cute in a "aww look at these teensy teens playing politics" but now when it's real politics and everyone acts the same way it just feels dumb.
I felt the same way when I started season 2 a few days ago. Honestly what first really intrigued me about the trailer for the first season of the show was this playfully over-dramatic high school politics angle. And the first season by and large makes good on having a fun time with it being a high school political race that's blown up to absurd proportions. But then it's a senate race and it's... a senate race. A huge angle of comedy (and levity) in the first season is the setting, and without it the second season definitely doesn't keep the same kind of playful and over-the-top tone, because the political stuff is legitimately just politics now.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Im a bit late but the first episode is really nice, but then the quality drops significantly. Ricardo and the grandma are 2 trash tier characters that honestly ruin the series. For some reason I am still watching it though.