• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
We all know there has been a lot of discussion surrounding the animations and graphics in Pokemon Sword and Shield. I don't really want to get into all that here. I just want to use this thread to talk about the not insignificant amount of memorable animations that are in the game. A previous similar thread was made, but it got derailed due to what was perceived to be a combative OP. I hope we can just use this thread to appreciate how charming and full of personality a lot of these animations are, though:

This is so cute, and not a thing I realized could happen:

I love the amount of overworld interactions with the Pokemon in this game:

Speaking of Growlithe:

Finally, this one made me giggle hysterically:

Please feel free to share any and all animations from Pokemon Sword/Shield :)

Slamtastic

Oct 26, 2017
While I prefer how Let's Go had all Pokemon visible in the overworld and not just some, SwSh does improve on LGPE when it comes to the overworld Pokemon AI, them actually having personality where some chase you, some run away, and some are curious is great, instead of just wandering aimlessly.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Okay yeah, some of the interactions are cute as hell even if they need to be more fluid. For a start these are pretty great, ngl.

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
Don't know if it counts since it was during a cutscene but the introduction of the 3 starters was super cute.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
b39.gif

Oct 25, 2017
They're ok. Hope to see a better balance between various parts of the game in the future. Also some of this isn't actually working the way people are making it seem. But it's nice people are having fun with it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
They're ok. Hope to see a better balance between various parts of the game in the future. Also some of this isn't actually working the way people are making it seem. But it's nice people are having fun with it.
People aren't "making it seem" to be anything. Usually something cute happens, and they share it. There's no larger agenda or conspiracy.

Tiamant

Oct 28, 2017
Welp, can't match that Falinks. That is probably the smartest design since, well, forever.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't have a .gif of it but DEAR GOD when Grapploct runs at you in Pokemon Camp.

It's the opposite of cute. Creepiest Pokemon animation ever.

Oct 25, 2017
People aren't "making it seem" to be anything. Usually something cute happens, and they share it. There's no larger agenda or conspiracy.

Didn't say it was a conspiracy. Calm down. It's just not as contextual as people think. That kirlia animation for instance is just their default animation. It's not a reaction to the player spinning. It's a cute animation, sure, but it's not as interesting as the tweet makes it seem. Same thing with those dogs in BotW. And that cinderace kick definitely seems edited as someone pointed out earlier. That doesn't make anything an agenda or conspiracy, it just makes it less interesting.

So yeah, some animations are nice, most is pretty basic. And I hope they find a better balance in the future.

Yam's

Oct 27, 2017
I like this thread's title.

I love the animations in this game. Obviously they could be improved, but they already do a good job creating a fun and cute world. My nephews absolutely love the camping part in this game.

Zassimick

Nov 6, 2017
Scorbunny running around brings me joy.

I wish I would have thought to capture it, but there was a moment in my camp early on where Scorbunny was racing my Dottler across the screen. That sure was... something...

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have a .gif of it but DEAR GOD when Grapploct runs at you in Pokemon Camp.

It's the opposite of cute. Creepiest Pokemon animation ever.
when i first saw it open its mouth i was very shocked because i didnt expect that part of its body to be its mouth

the camp stuff would be way more interesting to me if Pokemon could actually physically affect each other like this

Last edited:

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
Did they ran out of budget near the end?

I can't believe they approved this scene, especially since it happens at the end

Last edited:

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Much better thread than the other dude created, good on you OP. The game does have some funny/cute interactions in Pokémon camp. Seeing the Pokémon walk/run around in the overworld does also contribute to the world feeling a little more alive, I can give the game that.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, some of the ways you can interact with Pokemon, and how they imitate and stuff just like pets are AMAZING.
Don't know if it counts since it was during a cutscene but the introduction of the 3 starters was super cute.

When I saw this I was FLOORED...like there has never been this over-the-top cuteness in a game...and I usually don't care much for that!

Dunban_Fyuria

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty simple and not much but any running animation that small pokemons do when you call them is too cute and my heart can't handle it.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Much better thread than the other dude created, good on you OP. The game does have some funny/cute interactions in Pokémon camp. Seeing the Pokémon walk/run around in the overworld does also contribute to the world feeling a little more alive, I can give the game that.
E: nvm my bad lol