• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
alright, so my last exposure to Steven Stone in the anime (not in the games where he's cool) was him being a random one-off guest character while Lance replaced him in the team magma/aqua arc but apparently he's really cool in the anime now and has a shiny metagross???

talk about glow up
He showed up in X & Y in the final arc, as well as in the Mega Evolution prelude specials :)

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
He showed up in X & Y in the final arc, as well as in the Mega Evolution prelude specials :)
actually looking into how he is in newer media including masters and I like that he's actually confident to the point where's a little narcissistic and I actually love it lol

dude's been the champion for years and the heir to like the biggest company in the world, steven can afford to have some ego

OP
OP
TheGamingNewsGuy

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017

FSojuqaUUAA7mio

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine giving the best color to Diantha in that sequence with Pikachu. I feel personally attacked.

Also, god Leon's ace being Charizard sucks so much. Now they have the two mascots of Pokemon facing off I guess. Can't wait for the next champion to have a pikachu with whatever regional gimmick Scarlet and Violet has.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The biggest suspension of disbelief is that Ash's Pikachu can go toe-to-toe with every Pokemon ever.
Pikachu constant fluctuation in power level is hilarious. One season, it's going against legendaries and kicking all kinds of ass, then the next season, it get bodied by a Magikarp.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Pikachu constant fluctuation in power level is hilarious. One season, it's going against legendaries and kicking all kinds of ass, then the next season, it get bodied by a Magikarp.
When was the last time this happened though? Pikachu has been a consistent powerhouse since XY at least

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Two questions:

When does this arc starts?

Are previous episodes necessary to watch? I've only barely kept up because of what a friend posts online but haven't actively watched Journeys

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Two questions:

When does this arc starts?

Are previous episodes necessary to watch? I've only barely kept up because of what a friend posts online but haven't actively watched Journeys
No date for when the first Master 8 Battle is but they typically start in July/August for tournaments

Na they're not necessary but you may lose some of the buildup if they finally overcome something

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
No date for when the first Master 8 Battle is but they typically start in July/August for tournaments

Na they're not necessary but you may lose some of the buildup if they finally overcome something

Alright, will probably catch some previous stuff just in case then. It's cool that the arc could air during this years World's in London (Finally! just in time to say goodbye to Gen 8)

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
When was the last time this happened though? Pikachu has been a consistent powerhouse since XY at least
Beats me, I don't keep up with the show. Last time I watched was in DP. I just remember hearing about that and having Pikachu magically reset back in the Advanced and DP days as well. I don't remember if Pikachu reset during the Johto years though.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Alright, will probably catch some previous stuff just in case then. It's cool that the arc could air during this years World's in London (Finally! just in time to say goodbye to Gen 8)
Yeah I'm so psyched for Worlds this year.

The Leagues do tend to go on during that. I remember the Kalos League final was weekend of Worlds 2016 and the semi finals of the Alola League began the same weekend of Worlds 2019
Beats me, I don't keep up with the show. I just remember hearing about that and having Pikachu magically reset back in the Advanced days as well.
It never really was. It was just ill when it went into Hoenn, but its power was never reset

It's literally only happened "once" and even then that was just for one episode then Pikachu went back to being Pikachu. People overblow that statement so much. In the BW saga, it got hit by Zekrom and couldn't use its electric moves, so got defeated by a Snivy (and this isn't the games so level is irrelevant)

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Yeah I'm so psyched for Worlds this year.

The Leagues do tend to go on during that. I remember the Kalos League final was weekend of Worlds 2016 and the semi finals of the Alola League began the same weekend of Worlds 2019

2016 was so hype. Kalos League became mainstream, Pokemon Go launched, 20th anniversary with Alola soon to launch, the return of the Restricted meta in VGC with Wolfe getting that win. Good stuff, good stuff.

Looking forward to this year's Pokemon mood.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
2016 was so hype. Kalos League became mainstream, Pokemon Go launched, 20th anniversary with Alola soon to launch, the return of the Restricted meta in VGC with Wolfe getting that win. Good stuff, good stuff.

Looking forward to this year's Pokemon mood.
Will you be attending it?

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It never really was. It was just ill when it went into Hoenn, but its power was never reset

It's literally only happened "once" and even then that was just for one episode then Pikachu went back to being Pikachu. People overblow that statement so much. In the BW saga, it got hit by Zekrom and couldn't use its electric moves, so got defeated by a Snivy (and this isn't the games so level is irrelevant)
I don't mean "reset" in a literal term. More like Pikachu losing to newbie trainers and Pokémon that it has no right losing to considering its battle experience. I remember that happening in DP too, though I also remember that Paul was also an experienced trainer from another region, so that offset him losing his rival all the time at least.

Who knows, I could be mistaken. It's been like 15 years since I watched the anime after all. You'd know more that I would.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dude forgot to bring 6 Pokémon and still beat ash ass
I remember somewhere it being said that a full team was necessary to compete but I can't find it now.

In Sinnoh Ash gets eliminated by some dude with a team of legendaries because the writers literally needed some deus ex machina to make Ash lose. Next time around they do it by making him so incompetent some kid without a complete team does it. Never thought that pokemon would disrespect its own protagonist on that level.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Could it still use Quick attack and Iron Tail?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
next season should have a temp6t-style trainer who's just there to troll ash and the other competitors

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I know some who don't post in the journeys OT were asking about when this started properly and we just got these titles today:

JN114 (Jun 10) "Special training: Battle of Flames! Satoshi vs Shinji!!"

JN115 (Jun 17) "Opening! Masters Tournament!!"

No idea when the battles proper start

Gengahrrr

Oct 25, 2017
I know Eternatus is already out of the way, but I hope this doesn't get interrupted mid-way through the tournament with some other super villain side plot.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Why didn't they use Gary for this tournament?

:(

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't watched Pokemon seriously in decades but isn't he a Pokemon Professor now? Why would he be in a trainer tournament?
Yeah he became a researcher. That's why while he actually did come back and continues to have a signficant role for Journeys, it's as Go's rival for the project Mew stuff, not Ash's, because he already decided to go in a different direction and rather than undo his character development they brought him back in a capacity that allows him to be around but focuses on continuing the direction he was already going in

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Iris probably needs a Z-move since Haxorus doesn't have a Mega Evo or a Gigantamax form

Sanchoco

Dec 3, 2018
So seeing the that Mega Gardevoir and Dragonite in the trailer

Looks like it might be Ash/Lance/Iris vs Diantha?

Fake edit: lol, I originally thought I pinpointed one battle matchup but then I realized 3 trainers have Dragonite,