• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I want baby Growlithe and baby Vulpix. :(

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
is this early Komala?
88.png

this looks like Minccino maybe?
104.png

and this like Cherrim?
109.png

I mean, I'm totally reaching, but it does seem that they kinda go back and revisit some of the scrapped monsters in later generations

I'm in love with this
117.png

and I still need this in my life
139.png

TriggerShy

Mar 26, 2018
I mean they had to get Iwata to help them fit Kanto in so 150 extra Pokemon was probably too much space.

Game Freak also had to consider the overall balance of the game, they had to think of what types are needed and where to place them. Pokémon from Kanto were also found in Johto, so the new ones had to be balanced around them too. I mean, I really don't like how most of the Dark types and the only new Ghost type are Kanto only, but the Ghost type Gym right after the Normal type Gym teaches the player (if they didn't already have a Gastly) that some moves just don't work, you're also unlikely to have any decent Ghost, Dark, or Psychic moves. So Game Freak has to think about how certain Pokémon's availability effects how the player approaches the game. It might hard to do that if they just put too many Pokémon in a single area.

Snubbull's already in too, incidentally.
65.png

I don't see as much a resemblance as I do Puddi
133.png

Which is why I think if it was just replaced by something, it was this. Similar colors, face, tail, ears, eyes....some of that could be blamed on similar artists but like there is so much that lines up with the two.

Ah, I didn't see that. Oh well, I tried.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
FCA5IYZ.png

I could be totally wrong here, but I wonder if this thing was the scrapped concept based on Dolly the cloned sheep that Masuda and Sugimori mentioned in an interview once? It looks a little like an early Mareep/Flaaffy with the similar head and tail shapes, but the angry eyes and unnatural bulging veins suggest a creature that's been experimented on. I'd even venture to say the headband thing it's wearing could be a bunch of little embryos.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
FCA5IYZ.png

I could be totally wrong here, but I wonder if this thing was the scrapped concept based on Dolly the cloned sheep that Masuda and Sugimori mentioned in an interview once? It looks a little like an early Mareep/Flaaffy with the similar head and tail shapes, but the angry eyes and unnatural bulging veins suggest a creature that's been experimented on. I'd even venture to say the headband thing it's wearing could be a bunch of little embryos.
It screams psychic type to me. Gigantic experimental superbrain.

RomanceDawn

Teacher of Superheroines
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
INCREDIBLE!!!!!! Look at what looks to be an alternate Paras evolution. It grew out of the mushroom!

Look at that concept for a Noctowl! That is a cool looking bird! I love Noctowls design but I would love that thing as a new Pokemon all together or a split evolution. Heck a 3rd stage!

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
So during its time as a daifuku, it didn't have cheek pouches, correct?

Nishida: It did not! The cheek pouches didn't exist during the daifuku time! During the process of making it cuter, I added the cheek pouches because I wanted to give it a sense of "charging." That said, I only thought of a squirrel for the cheek pouches part, and the rest came from putting together all these parts that I thought were cute.

What about the dark ear tips?

Nishida: I believe that was a leftover from its time as a daifuku.

The question is: are those or are they not cheek pouches?

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
FCA5IYZ.png

It does seem pretty weird...the tail thing too
258.png

especially from the back, does seem suspiciously similar to Mareep's

If the numbering is any indication of similar dev time (which, i fullyadmit, is a big "if") then it was also put in the game around the same time as mareep (it's 2 spaces later). And well before Flaaffy & Ampharos, for that matter. It's a pretty weird design t,hough, it looks more like a lizard regardless of whatever else is going on so this might just be a case of similar design work like all the similar kaijus in gen 1

ERAsaur

Oct 25, 2017
Probably an earlier Flaaffy attempt, yeah. Ampharos is Denryu after all, would make sense if the second stage looked more like a dragon.

André

Oct 25, 2017
Europe
I'm crying. This is like 10 Christmases in a row for someone as fascinated with unreleased Pokémon stuff as I am.

Miller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So, here's something interesting:

18.png

This is actually listed after Farfetch'd, and indeed its named Madame and presumably has Madame's footprint (though I believe the height and weight are of the mon pictured,) but the dex entry... is not about Madame. I have always wanted to see a Madame dex entry to find out whether or not it is indeed themed after the madame at a brothel (which I believe it is.) Nevertheless, here's this dex entry.

Madame
"Mizuuo" Pokemon (Cannibal fish?)
When on land, it secretes slimy, poisonous mucous membranes.

What in the

EDIT: If anyone wants me to translate some dex entries, just tell me which ones

Oct 26, 2017
I redid the snowbunny/proto-pika?'s palette using the grass palette from yellow:

828k4w.png

I also did a Yellow version palette for every sprite from the original GS beta leak:

betayellowflips2kga.png

Crepuscular

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Whoa, the Oddish line is my personal nostalgic favorite, so it's super interesting to see some new concept art for them. It looks like a Gloom is ... dying? And pooping??? Looolwtf

ERAsaur

Oct 25, 2017
It should be mentioned that the Gloom sprite is labeled "Tes(t)" so it was probably just a dummy sprite they were using as a joke.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
So, here's something interesting:

18.png

This is actually listed after Farfetch'd, and indeed its named Madame and presumably has Madame's footprint (though I believe the height and weight are of the mon pictured,) but the dex entry... is not about Madame. I have always wanted to see a Madame dex entry to find out whether or not it is indeed themed after the madame at a brothel (which I believe it is.) Nevertheless, here's this dex entry.

Madame
"Mizuuo" Pokemon (Cannibal fish?)
When on land, it secretes slimy, poisonous mucous membranes.

What in the

EDIT: If anyone wants me to translate some dex entries, just tell me which ones
That's not too different from its final entry (Silver)
When it walks around on the ground, it coats its body with a slimy, poisonous film.
Seems like maybe a word just got lost, like "it secretes FROM ITS slimy...." or some such.

Guess name hadn't been decided yet so they didnt get around to changing the name

Miller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's not too different from its final entry (Silver)

Seems like maybe a word just got lost, like "it secretes FROM ITS slimy...." or some such.

Guess name hadn't been decided yet so they didnt get around to changing the name

I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume that it's the same dex entry. The Japanese text refers to "action" on the ground, which I just glossed over as "on land" to communicate that it was merely making a distinction between when it's underwater vs. on land and not saying like, "as it WALKS around, its body does this thing." The latter difference is just a localization, I'd think. Difficult to tell the target demo, in English, "secretes a mucous membrane."

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
25.png
25.png

Looks like they originally wanted to keep Sentret's tail and from its patterns it looks more like a type of weasel than a ferret. Well, I mean, they're all related but you know more of one of those red or brown weasels you see from time to time and not the more distinct bandit ferret makings.

Seems they were pretty happy wit hthe sprites, they stayed mostly similar posing in the final build
Spr_2s_162.png
Spr_2g_162.png

Miller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume that it's the same dex entry. The Japanese text refers to "action" on the ground, which I just glossed over as "on land" to communicate that it was merely making a distinction between when it's underwater vs. on land and not saying like, "as it WALKS around, its body does this thing." The latter difference is just a localization, I'd think. Difficult to tell the target demo, in English, "secretes a mucous membrane."

I was wrong! Turns out, this was edited for Wooper's final Japanese Silver dex entry. The beta explicitly says that it secretes such a membrane while this mon is on land, while the dex entry r_n shared is a perfect translation of the final build, which states in Japanese that Wooper does indeed cover its body in a slimy, poisonous mucous membrane when it walks around. I find the distinction fascinating.

Also fascinating: Even though the beta Wooper is quadrupedal and seemingly... rounder than Wooper, it has the same height and weight.

And if anyone was wondering, the leaked Gold dex entry for this mon is unchanged from the final build (minus the name ,footprint, and classification.)

Last edited:

riq

Feb 21, 2019
I wonder if Helix Chamber will end up doing a, ah, thesis-sized write up for these, I really enjoyed all of their content, and honestly I'm not sure I can trust anons to keep all discovered info properly documented in a digestible fashion.

ERAsaur

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Helix Chamber will end up doing a, ah, thesis-sized write up for these, I really enjoyed all of their content, and honestly I'm not sure I can trust anons to keep all discovered info properly documented in a digestible fashion.
Eventually maybe, but for team legal safety we're not going to be covering it for a while if at all. Also it's just so much that it would take months to write about everything, plus few of us are particularly skilled with code so I think it'd be better to wait for other groups to release their findings.

I was writing a map article about how I thought the unused Johto maps fit together but, well, not really needed anymore now when there's a file in there that just tells you how they connect, huh? Maybe I can write about the maps that appear in their banks and what that might mean for the early region instead someday...

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Eventually maybe, but for team legal safety we're not going to be covering it for a while if at all. Also it's just so much that it would take months to write about everything, plus few of us are particularly skilled with code so I think it'd be better to wait for other groups to release their findings.

I was writing a map article about how I thought the unused Johto maps fit together but, well, not really needed anymore now when there's a file in there that just tells you how they connect, huh? Maybe I can write about the maps that appear in their banks and what that might mean for the early region instead someday...
I remember your old theory crafting about that from last year, at a glance, does it seem like you were on the money?

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo has (at least) 30 years worth of game source code in various stages of development... I really wish they'd release stuff like this officially, like in artbooks. We got a taste of this in the Hyrule Historia, and another taste with these stolen sources... But just think how much more there is?

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
You know I thought Cyndaquil might've been an ice type from the front, since the spikes look so similar to alolan sandslash's icicles but....gotta say....from the back
216.png

Cyndaquil reminds me a lot of spinies
150px-Spiny_Artwork_-_New_Super_Mario_Bros._2.png

So I guess maybe the simpler explanation is they just wanted it emphasize the spiky bristles of the echidna. Who knows maybe it was even a steel type at some point.

Miller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You know I thought Cyndaquil might've been an ice type from the front, since the spikes look so similar to alolan sandslash's icicles but....gotta say....from the back
216.png

Cyndaquil reminds me a lot of spinies
150px-Spiny_Artwork_-_New_Super_Mario_Bros._2.png

So I guess maybe the simpler explanation is they just wanted it emphasize the spiky bristles of the echidna. Who knows maybe it was even a steel type at some point.

I still think ice, if only for the Alolan Sandlash connection, which you said. So many of these designs have been salvaged in a similar way that something so visually similar would be quite the coincidence otherwise. Interesting theory, though.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Nintendo has (at least) 30 years worth of game source code in various stages of development... I really wish they'd release stuff like this officially, like in artbooks. We got a taste of this in the Hyrule Historia, and another taste with these stolen sources... But just think how much more there is?
Yeah, if there had been an art book for Pokemon years ago, we'd have known a lot of this and maybe these releases wouldn't have been as desirable. But there's so much to discover still, that even something like that may not have been enough.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Honestly most of these aren't good and I see why they were cut/drastically changed. Other thoughts:

Leafeon has apparently existed forever

Proto-Dunsparce is actually much better than what we eventually got

why so many birds?

That fire starter is literally a mash up of Pikachu and Charmander

The water starter seems like a proto-Lapras almost?

Raikou is Super Saiyan Dog.

That Wobbafett LMAO

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I still think ice, if only for the Alolan Sandlash connection, which you said. So many of these designs have been salvaged in a similar way that something so visually similar would be quite the coincidence otherwise. Interesting theory, though.
I am really curious if there might be some names tied to these old sprites buried somewhere, maybe in old emails or wayward code mentions or something. A name would probably poitn us in a direction if they wanted some convoluted ice spike pun

ERAsaur

Oct 25, 2017
I remember your old theory crafting about that from last year, at a glance, does it seem like you were on the money?
For Spaceworld? That's a different region but there appear to be later versions of those maps in there with some slight edits as well. I was right about using a boat at some point (there is a map of a port now) but what I didn't expect was them adding a train to West, Newtype and (unfortunately) Kanto. Blue also just appears to be their name for Red in this game for whatever reason instead of the female character, his house is called as such. The route designations also go completely off the rails towards the end so there's no way anybody could have guessed that.

Funniest thing I found was that the idea of Spaceworld Kanto lives on in an earlier version of Final Kanto: an earlier Celadon contains Route 7, Celadon, and Route 16, an earlier Fuchsia contains Fuchsia and Route 18, an earlier Vemilion contains Route 6 and Vermilion, and Route 24 and 25 were merged into one map. Thankfully they found enough space to expand them enough, even if they were a bit smaller than Gen 1.

riq

Feb 21, 2019

Completely understandable. I deeply apreciate the effort you guys made these past few years. The minute analysys of every aspect, from move name lists to fixing glitched maps and even reconstructing details of the blurriest, tiniest pictures...

I think I've spent more time reading, re-reading and consulting your site for reference than I'd like to admit. Terrific digital archeological work. The folks from pret as well, who I follow back from the skeetendo forums lol.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
For Spaceworld? That's a different region but there appear to be later versions of those maps in there with some slight edits as well. I was right about using a boat at some point (there is a map of a port now) but what I didn't expect was them adding a train to West, Newtype and (unfortunately) Kanto. Blue also just appears to be their name for Red in this game for whatever reason instead of the female character, his house is called as such. The route designations also go completely off the rails towards the end so there's no way anybody could have guessed that.

Funniest thing I found was that the idea of Spaceworld Kanto lives on in an earlier version of Final Kanto: an earlier Celadon contains Route 7, Celadon, and Route 16, an earlier Fuchsia contains Fuchsia and Route 18, an earlier Vemilion contains Route 6 and Vermilion, and Route 24 and 25 were merged into one map. Thankfully they found enough space to expand them enough, even if they were a bit smaller than Gen 1.
haha that's really interesting. Iwata really coming through saving Kanto

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
This is all so cool! Though, I am surprised that GF never revisited the Yuki Usagi concept in future gens.

I'm also in love with proto-Wooper.

Miller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Figured I'd take a crack at my favourite gen 2 evo line.

190.png

Undecided03
Angler Pokemon
Height 0.5m
Weight 12.0kg
No.171
On the dark ocean floor, the blinking lights on its feelers provide its only means of communication.

Ignoring the missing name and footprint, Chinchou's leaked silver dex entry is a little different from the final version -- it seems they would give it an edit for grammar before release, and shift the verb "allows (it to)" to "does". Curious. Classification, height, and weight are all the same as the final build, as is the body text of the leaked Gold dex entry. Its dex number would ultimately decrease by one to 170.

13.png

Tsubomitto
Light Pokemon
Height 1.2m
Weight 22.5kg
No.193
The light emitted by Lanturn (alternately: "its lantern") is so glaring that it can reach the water's surface from a depth of 5000 meters.

Lanturn's dex entry, like Wooper's, seems to have been laid overtop of a cut Pokemon -- in this case, Tsubomitto, the cut "Bellossom" of the Bellsprout line. Consequently, it adopts its dex number (193) and name. It has no footprint in the final build, which tells me that this footprint is Tsubomitto's, and confirms my theory that the footprint in Wooper's was in fact Madame's. The classification, height, and weight here are all identical to the final build, though the body text uses a different adjective to describe the light it emits when comparing this to the retail copy of Gold.. The final version simply uses bright, while this uses glaring. This might have been done to create distinction between this and the Silver entry, which begins with that very adjective. The Silver entry (ignoring the Tsubomitto anomalies) is identical to the final build. Lastly, it's interesting to me that Chinchou's name had yet to be decided, while Lanturn's presumably hadn't. I say presumably because Lanturn's Japanese name is not the way that "lantern" is typically approximated in Japanese. I really wonder why the accepted fact among fans is that Lanturn's Japanese name is simply "Lantern" then, but I assume they know something I don't, so I've made room for either translation. Also weird that, if its name was indeed decided, it still carries Tsubomitto's name here. Makes me wonder if this aspect of the game wasn't in the middle of being worked on when this build was captured.

Last edited:

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
INCREDIBLE!!!!!! Look at what looks to be an alternate Paras evolution. It grew out of the mushroom!

Look at that concept for a Noctowl! That is a cool looking bird! I love Noctowls design but I would love that thing as a new Pokemon all together or a split evolution. Heck a 3rd stage!

Just btw, those two in particular were already leaked last year. There's a lot of writeups on Spaceworld '97 and the spritesheets.
There's a lot of stuff to dive into with the source code leak.

I mean, I'm totally reaching, but it does seem that they kinda go back and revisit some of the scrapped monsters in later generations

I mean they confirmed this is exactly what they do at times. Plus the Spaceworld '97 leak from last year definitely shows they did (Leafeon, Mime Jr, Lickitung + Tangela evos, etc)

It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of these early drafts were just sort of them doodling concepts, they have talked about how they drew a lot of the gen 1 Pokemon as sprites first then drew the art afterwards.

How are people viewing the full Pokédex in the spaceworld '99 build?
Final build saves work with it.

I love that there's literal excel documents with them drawing maps in there too.

Last edited: