• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
hey boy do you want to go out for a walk today

quagsireg3jdc.png

let me tell you about this cool new thing i just heard of

slugmavdka1.png

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
This leak is the holy grail confirmed.

1587773845746.png

EDIT: One of the builds is in the process of changing the Elite Four roster from the '97 lineup to the final one. All the rooms are different, Will is Giovanni (with coloured Yellow sprite), Koga is actually Agatha with new sprite(!), with Lorelei is still the final E4 member (also with new sprite!).

ENA1JU6.png

hxVumgf.png
Incredible! There's so much coming out I can't keep up!

Curler

Oct 26, 2017

1587773845746.png

EDIT: One of the builds is in the process of changing the Elite Four roster from the '97 lineup to the final one. All the rooms are different, Will is Giovanni (with coloured Yellow sprite), Koga is actually Agatha with new sprite(!), with Lorelei is still the final E4 member (also with new sprite!).

ENA1JU6.png

hxVumgf.png

Wow there's soooo many good designs that went unused! Wish they would bring some back... So many of these are just classic 90's monster dedigns and look a lot more "Pokemon" than some experimental ideas lately :x

You can see how Farfetch'd originally was a swan and I guess they brought it back for Swanna.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
https://gssource.neocities.org/sprites.html - Most of them are here if you want decent rips of them
2.png
3.png

These things are pretty weird. Maybe more stuff meant for the ruins of alph at one point? SEem intentionally paired

6.png

This seems like...p-proto fennekin? The tail seems to be on fire and it's got stuff in its ears just like a fennec fox does....

7.png
8.png

Oh based on snow rabbits, definitely ice type

9.png
10.png

Grass type, I assume. Probably based on a fern, I guess?

11.png

Another elephant. Maybe the gen 1 proto elephant got reworked into this before getting dropped?

13.png

Oh a Natu mid evolution! I love it!! I guess they got rid of it since Natu/Xatu on their own fit the theme enough.

15.png
17.png

A Kiwi AND a quail (they're unrelated). I'm guessing they dropped the quail since Natu was the superior round bird but mannnn I'd love these two weirdos to come back sometime

16.png

A classic no-nonsense scorpion. Gligar wasn't around at this time, guess the design evolved into it.

18.png
94.png

I think these 2 might be related. Similar shapes, colors, mayeb a music theme. Its okay, horn bird is kind of goofy.

19.png

This build also has things like both elekids, so I wonder if this is a build from when they were slowly replacing design work? If so, Qwilfish (who is later down the list) might've replaced this entirely.

21.png

A fairly plain wild boar. If the other thing wasnt an elephant I guess these two could have been related?

27.png
177.png

I dunno what this is. It resembles the baby growlithe, Puddi, so it might be a case of the original proto-growlithe. Back sprite seems more refined than the front.

33.png

A classic japanese ghost. It's fairly plain, probably why it got the axe. Would've been at home with the voodoo doll & jiangshi pokemon, I suppose.

46.png

A viking ship! This is a cool concept and probably would've gone great with Lapras, kind of surprised they didnt bring this back in gen 5 as a "replacement" for Lapras.

51.png

Kind of reminds me of those temple dogs. Get kind of legendary vibes from it, might just be me. Might've been dropped for being too similar to Arcanine? Who knows...

52.png
53.png
54.png
55.png

No idea what's going on with any of these dudes. The third one might be based on a scare crow I guess?

57.png
58.png

Either in the process of replacing Grotesque & Inari as evolutions to Manbo1 or the reverse was going to happen. Or maybe Manbo was itself in the middle of being replaced by a new pre-evolution for the pair?

62.png
212.png

This feels like a very specific reference to something I'm not getting. Is it a squirrel maybe? WIth a ...katana? A message scroll? Cute though

66.png

I really get ice vibes from proto-cyndaquil. If this is from just before space world, then they must have come abck to this design and reworked it for the fire starter for some reason.

79.png

A fox that's all head & tail. Kind of whatever, seems like it'd evolve. I dunno if its related to teh earlier fox or if it just never got to the evolution phase

80.png

A mama bird concept is really cute but I can see why it got dropped. Feels like there were a lot of birds that they just started taking the axe too

82.png
232.png

The backsprite is way different, but that front sprite screams like a match to one of those squids we only had the backsprites to before. Seems like it was in the middle of a redesign before getting axed.

84.png
85.png

These two seem related. The bagworm probably got revived & reworked into Pineco & much later on burmy/mothim at some point.

88.png

Seems like a fairly standard Koala. Komala's gimmick is much better so I'm glad they left this alone for years and years.

89.png
239.png

So its a tanooki carrying a burning bundle of sticks. Alright, sure, why though. Does make me wonder if this was the original idea for Illex Forest (or whatever it was at this stage in development) before repalced by Farfetch'd. You know ,teh charcoal and all. And you'd chase around an on-fire tanooki pokemon instead?

99.png

This frog seems way more refined than even proto-politoed. Guess they only wanted one frog...maybe cutting it is why Politoed got reworked into a more standard frog?

102.png
103.png
104.png

105.png
106.png
107.png

108.png
109.png

Just completely freestyling ideas at this point. Bunch of bugs, some plants, some real crazy stuff here. Maybe a mosquito? An alien?! The sakura thing is basically proto-cherrim. And hell stuff I can't even begin to question.

114.png
117.png

These two are definitely related. And I feel really positive that the one on the left is proto-dunsparce...which would make the one on the right a would-be evolution. That's an oof from me. I like these guys, they seem fairly refined too...wonder why they got cut?
44.png

Compared with the still-in-development sprite fo what becomes Dunsparce, you can see the similarities.

118.png

"Another bird?!" - gamefreak design staff, probably.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017

1587773845746.png

ENA1JU6.png

hxVumgf.png

holy fucking shit!

is there anything left from old magazines/behind the scenes images that hasn't been leaked yet?

Nov 25, 2019
89.png
239.png

So its a tanooki carrying a burning bundle of sticks. Alright, sure, why though. Does make me wonder if this was the original idea for Illex Forest (or whatever it was at this stage in development) before repalced by Farfetch'd. You know ,teh charcoal and all. And you'd chase around an on-fire tanooki pokemon instead?
There is a japanese story about a rabbit giving some kindling to a thief raccoon and setting it on fire to avenge the wife of a farmer he was a friend of. This would have been an AMAZING concept and I'm now sad it's not real :(

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also that Alien might be early Gligar.

I've mentioned it before but Gligar's name in Japanese is supiciously close to how Giger would be spelt. The fact Gligar injects it's poison via the face like a face hugger definitely makes me think it began as an Alien reference before being toned down a bit (due to copyright or violence?) and this supports that.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
89.png
239.png

I've seen this kinda design in other games so I'm sure it's a Japanese thing. Maybe they thought it'd be too basic? One example:
359.gif
from Maplestory lol.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of really cool unused designs here, damn what a trip to see this decades later. I'm really happy this came to light though.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I still remember my days on the internet fondly between Pokemon yellow and leading up to silver and gold. It was a special time finally being able to boot up gold and silver on my game boy color. .. those good old websites, pokemasters.net and bulbagarden.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

I've mentioned it before but Gligar's name in Japanese is supiciously close to how Giger would be spelt. The fact Gligar injects it's poison via the face like a face hugger definitely makes me think it began as an Alien reference before being toned down a bit (due to copyright or violence?) and this supports that.
I will support this theory because it also suggests that Gligar's scorpion tail is actually a giant dong a la the original facehugger design.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017

If so then the earlier scorpion might've been part of the line. It's a pretty fierce design and it evolving into a proper alient would follow pretty well.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Oh my god even more unused gen 2 designs, and a lot are just as good as the unused ones we'd already seen :(

Really makes me wonder why they did a 100 pokemon dex and not 150 again if they had all these concepts.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Kind of wish we had a Predator based counterpart here lol.

(Speaking of Gligar I'm 100 percent sure it and Sneasel were intended to be counterparts originally due to their similarities but they fucked up and made Delibird Gligar's version counterpart instead.)

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god even more unused gen 2 designs, and a lot are just as good as the unused ones we'd already seen :(

Really makes me wonder why they did a 100 pokemon dex and not 150 again if they had all these concepts.

There has to be 100 Pokemon worth of unused designs between gen 1 and 2 leaks alone. It's crazy how much has gotten out there at this point.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I mean they had to get Iwata to help them fit Kanto in so 150 extra Pokemon was probably too much space.

TriggerShy

Mar 26, 2018
46.png

A viking ship! This is a cool concept and probably would've gone great with Lapras, kind of surprised they didnt bring this back in gen 5 as a "replacement" for Lapras.

I also would've loved the viking ship, I wish they ran with it like how Sudowoodo and Kecleon were filling the "blocking" role that Snorlax did.

79.png

A fox that's all head & tail. Kind of whatever, seems like it'd evolve. I dunno if its related to teh earlier fox or if it just never got to the evolution phase

Probably an early Furret concept, Furret's entire deal is that we don't know when its body ends and tail begins.

27.png
177.png

I dunno what this is. It resembles the baby growlithe, Puddi, so it might be a case of the original proto-growlithe. Back sprite seems more refined than the front.

That might be Snubbull, its Gold sprite looks vaguely similar:

snubbull.png
snubbull.png

21.png

A fairly plain wild boar. If the other thing wasnt an elephant I guess these two could have been related?

They probably could've been related, Piloswine does evolve into Mamoswine making it more mammoth-like while still keeping it boar-like. Game Freak would sometimes change the animal a Pokémon is based on in evolution if they feel it makes them look more powerful.

19.png

This build also has things like both elekids, so I wonder if this is a build from when they were slowly replacing design work? If so, Qwilfish (who is later down the list) might've replaced this entirely.

I could actually see this creature evolving into that Qwilfish lookalike and the two of them would've been the Water/Electic types if Chinchou/Lanturn weren't introduced. If that was the case, maybe Qwilfish was re-worked into a single Water/Poison type for the sake of making it more unique? I know Stunfisk was changed from Water/Electric to Ground/Electric for game balance.

118.png

Heh, maybe Game Freak just really like birds, they apparently had this problem with Gen 5 as well along with too many Grass types.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I also would've loved the viking ship, I wish they ran with it like how Sudowoodo and Kecleon were filling the "blocking" role that Snorlax did.

Probably an early Furret concept, Furret's entire deal is that we don't know when its body ends and tail begins.

That might be Snubbull, its Gold sprite looks vaguely similar:

snubbull.png
snubbull.png
Snubbull's already in too, incidentally.
65.png

I don't see as much a resemblance as I do Puddi
133.png

Which is why I think if it was just replaced by something, it was this. Similar colors, face, tail, ears, eyes....some of that could be blamed on similar artists but like there is so much that lines up with the two.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana

1587773845746.png

ENA1JU6.png

hxVumgf.png
omg 344 and 350 I need them

Oct 26, 2017
2.png
3.png

These things are pretty weird. Maybe more stuff meant for the ruins of alph at one point? SEem intentionally paired

6.png

This seems like...p-proto fennekin? The tail seems to be on fire and it's got stuff in its ears just like a fennec fox does....

7.png
8.png

Oh based on snow rabbits, definitely ice type

9.png
10.png

Grass type, I assume. Probably based on a fern, I guess?

11.png

Another elephant. Maybe the gen 1 proto elephant got reworked into this before getting dropped?

13.png

Oh a Natu mid evolution! I love it!! I guess they got rid of it since Natu/Xatu on their own fit the theme enough.

15.png
17.png

A Kiwi AND a quail (they're unrelated). I'm guessing they dropped the quail since Natu was the superior round bird but mannnn I'd love these two weirdos to come back sometime

16.png

A classic no-nonsense scorpion. Gligar wasn't around at this time, guess the design evolved into it.

18.png
94.png

I think these 2 might be related. Similar shapes, colors, mayeb a music theme. Its okay, horn bird is kind of goofy.

19.png

21.png

27.png
177.png

33.png

A classic japanese ghost. It's fairly plain, probably why it got the axe. Would've been at home with the voodoo doll & jiangshi pokemon, I suppose.

46.png

51.png

Kind of reminds me of those temple dogs. Get kind of legendary vibes from it, might just be me. Might've been dropped for being too similar to Arcanine? Who knows...

52.png
53.png
54.png
55.png

No idea what's going on with any of these dudes. The third one might be based on a scare crow I guess?

57.png
58.png

Either in the process of replacing Grotesque & Inari as evolutions to Manbo1 or the reverse was going to happen. Or maybe Manbo was itself in the middle of being replaced by a new pre-evolution for the pair?

62.png
212.png

This feels like a very specific reference to something I'm not getting. Is it a squirrel maybe? WIth a ...katana? A message scroll? Cute though

66.png

I really get ice vibes from proto-cyndaquil. If this is from just before space world, then they must have come abck to this design and reworked it for the fire starter for some reason.

79.png

80.png

A mama bird concept is really cute but I can see why it got dropped. Feels like there were a lot of birds that they just started taking the axe too

82.png
232.png

The backsprite is way different, but that front sprite screams like a match to one of those squids we only had the backsprites to before. Seems like it was in the middle of a redesign before getting axed.

84.png
85.png

These two seem related. The bagworm probably got revived & reworked into Pineco & much later on burmy/mothim at some point.

88.png

Seems like a fairly standard Koala. Komala's gimmick is much better so I'm glad they left this alone for years and years.

89.png
239.png

99.png

This frog seems way more refined than even proto-politoed. Guess they only wanted one frog...maybe cutting it is why Politoed got reworked into a more standard frog?

102.png
103.png
104.png

105.png
106.png
107.png

108.png
109.png

Just completely freestyling ideas at this point. Bunch of bugs, some plants, some real crazy stuff here. Maybe a mosquito? An alien?! The sakura thing is basically proto-cherrim. And hell stuff I can't even begin to question.

114.png
117.png

These two are definitely related. And I feel really positive that the one on the left is proto-dunsparce...which would make the one on the right a would-be evolution. That's an oof from me. I like these guys, they seem fairly refined too...wonder why they got cut?
44.png

Compared with the still-in-development sprite fo what becomes Dunsparce, you can see the similarities.

118.png

Sweet analysis! :D Also where are those other sprites like the snow bunny? It's not on the sheet above.

Edit: Oh it was here, it didn't load the whole thing when I first checked, huh.

Last edited:

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
443 could legit be the third evolution or some regional form of Noctowl and I would keep that badass on my team. So many good designs here, like damn, now I want a game with some of these designs in.