• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

badatorigami

Dec 5, 2019
Uncapitalized legos for life. Colloquialism, baby!
Also, there are TONS of non-brick format lego pieces. When we adhere to rigid brand-defined pedantry, we actually lose true descriptivity. You expect me to look at Bionicle (capitalized because it deserves that respect) pieces and call 'em bricks? *loud derisive scoff*

Sep 10, 2020

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I've always thought "millions" when talking about money is weird.

Why the "s"?? "Million" already means a lot of something. So it's $20 Million in the US, but is said $20 Millions in some places.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
If you really want to get into the weeds, I read something a long time ago that came to the conclusion that vinyl (plural) is not logical grammatically, and no one really knows why it came to be. It should be vinyls based on the rules, but it just isn't. I'll see if I can track it down.

Edit: here it is
It's not the pluralisation I have issue with; I wouldn't call one record "a vinyl" either.

Oct 26, 2017
Here's some Legos Sheeps:
sheeps3rkf1.jpg

Awww, that little baby made from Legos, I hope they have more offsprings for her to play with!

How about some Legos Mooses?
moosesj4kca.jpg

Didn't know you could get Legos Mooses, that was news to me - looking forward to plenty more similar newses in future!

Fishs made from Legos:
fishspxkr2.jpg

Not sure what species the big one is, maybe they're all different specieses?

A classic - Legos aircrafts <3
aircraftsm6kw1.jpg

They made a whole series of aircarafts out of Legos - I bet they could make plenty more serieses of Legos aircrafts.

This one is interesting - Legos Dices. but not made from Legos, they just have pictures of the Legos bricks on each face.
dices6okih.png

If you need anymore informations on Legos feel free to ask - I'll have all my staffs look into it for yous.
What's the joke here? That you don't know how to use nouns as adjectives?

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty interesting.

Are you in the UK?

How about if you had a bunch of writing utensils (let's say more than one pen) scattered around your room? What would she say in that case?
And what about a word that ends in a vowel, say Radio. How would she tell you to pick up multiple of that word?
It's not sheeps.

Using "rules" in English is a hiding to nothing.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
It's been Legos for me for 30 years, therefore Legos it will stay. I don't give a fuck what the company want me to call them, it'll be Legos till the day i die. It's quicker, more logical and sounds just better.

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I have to assume a major motivation is that they don't want people to refer to them as objects rather than a brand name because they would lose the brand name to genericization like Xerox or Kleenex.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, hah! You might be an outlier on that one, I don't know if I can follow you on that path

Haha, definitely a losing battle these days, but I'm not alone.

Just Google "calling records vinyls" and you'll find tons of old men complaining about it šŸ¤£

forums.stevehoffman.tv

Should we give up and let people call records "vinyls?"

Should we? Why or why not? Do you think it's going to happen anyway?
forums.stevehoffman.tv

Why Do Folks Refer To Records AS "Vinyls", Or 'Platters"?

:realmad: IT DRIVES ME F^%&* Crazy when people refer to them as this. I dont refer to cars as "automobiles". Just call them what they are: VINYL...

If you'll excuse me, I'm going to listen to some records.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
How is it folks are having a hard time understanding the word is used differently when referring to a concrete noun (physical objects(s)) vs a Brand Name.

The brand name is always singular. There's only one of them.

The concrete noun can be either as there are gajillions of them.

Genuinely, what's so difficult to understand about this. There's no contradiction created just because it's a brand name. What lunacy is that?!

Not in Americaland. We say Bandaids.

I say Legos.

Mg.

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't LEGO also written in all-caps? Or is that just the case when referring to the company name and not the product?

Grimsen

Oct 25, 2017
Is the company sending free lego sets to the corporate bootlickers? Shit, I'll say whatever you want.

Dec 16, 2017
Lego needs to defend Lego bricks so its brand isn't generalized out of a trademark.

"That cut looks pretty bad. Can some one grab the bandaids?"

Not

"That cut looks pretty bad. Can someone grab the Band-Aid adhesive bandages?"

Or more dramatically, "Can you bring the dumpsters to the road?" Where the dumpster trademark is no longer enforced.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I used to work in marketing at an ABC affiliate, and every year we'd air the American Music Awards - commonly referred to as "the AMAs" - and the country music variant, commonly referred to as the CMAs. The one time we made a promo officially tying in our local programming with the CMAs, we said "tonight after the CMAs" in our script, and our spot got rejected and we were sternly informed we can't call them the "CMAs." We had to say "CMA Awards" because CMA is for Country Music Association.