• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Why not just get a GPD XD? The machine already has the power to emulate PSP and DC. Though there are some limitations due to the emulators themselves.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It's less of a hassle though. And it's portable. The OP is a giant wall of text on how to get things running and what you need. With GPD XD, you need the system and the games. There's my tutorial.

That doesn't change the answer to your question though. $200 is not an insignificant amount of money.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
What's up with the power situation of this thing? It comes only with a USB cable for power? Do you plug that into your tv if you have usb ports on it?

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Picked one up at walmart today for 30 CAD. So I have a few questions.

1)For the otg, can I use a L shape one similar to the ones used for snes classic? I might have one around somewhere.

2)Is it possible now to use the internal memory to save a few games? If so how big is that memory?

3) can I swap disks? Do I have to use a multidisk pbp?

Thanks

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Picked one up at walmart today for 30 CAD. So I have a few questions.

1)For the otg, can I use a L shape one similar to the ones used for snes classic? I might have one around somewhere.

2)Is it possible now to use the internal memory to save a few games? If so how big is that memory?

3) can I swap disks? Do I have to use a multidisk pbp?

Thanks

1. AFAIK, it should work ( but I don't remember if it's a 90 or 270 degree one).
2. Not yet. USB only for now.
3. You don't have to use PSX2PBP but it makes things much easier (and you can convert them into separate PBPs).
You switch games by pressing select+△ and there'll be an option to switch discs if the folder or PBP contains one.

Happy gaming~ :D

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
1. AFAIK, it should work ( but I don't remember if it's a 90 or 270 degree one).
2. Not yet. USB only for now.
3. You don't have to use PSX2PBP but it makes things much easier (and you can convert them into separate PBPs).
You switch games by pressing select+△ and there'll be an option to switch discs if the folder or PBP contains one.

Happy gaming~ :D
angled adapters work, but it has to be facing the opposite direction from the kind that works on the snes classic
Thanks guys. I will mess around with it during the week end.
Sucks for number 2. I wanted to start with no usb and a few select games. Now let's pray I have a usb stick that works or does any work with otg?

Deleted member 27451

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Anyone tried Retroboot? As I can see it has retroarch build in and I would be able to play older consoles and playstation 1 games with filters and stuff. Is there any benefit using autobleem instead of retroboot?

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Thanks guys. I will mess around with it during the week end.
Sucks for number 2. I wanted to start with no usb and a few select games. Now let's pray I have a usb stick that works or does any work with otg?
That was one of the main points of the update to Bleemsync- using OTG and any USB drive (in theory).
Anyone tried Retroboot? As I can see it has retroarch build in and I would be able to play older consoles and playstation 1 games with filters and stuff. Is there any benefit using autobleem instead of retroboot?
I've been meaning to do so but haven't had time. Since it's all on USB with zero brick potential, give it a shot and tell us how it works:)

Last edited:

Ninge

ID@Xbox Developer Partner Manager
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Finally got everything set up and the games play great :) Now i want to make it pretty - so I searched around for some nice XMB dynamic wallpapers... but, nothing? Like 3 samples on github and a couple of dodgy youtube videos. Am i missing something? Is there someplace with a nice collection of background images, or am I going to have to whip out the crayons and make my own? :D

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Is there any way to choose the internal resolution on PSX games with retroarch?
There is only one ON/OFFhigh res option that once actived let games have slowdowns.
I would like something in beetwen, an higher resolution in comparison to the native but with steady framerate.

Thanks.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I didn't know it could emulate Dreamcast. Thinking of getting one then, does it also emulate Saturn?

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
I'm also curious on Dreamcast emulation.
Don't bother: the hardware is not powerful enough
For dreamcast or just Saturn?

Noob question:
So I guess that you'll have the OS (retroarc) on a usb memory stick and the system booting from this? So you also have games on the same usb?
So I'll guess that you can only use one controller? There is only 2 usb ports?

If you unplug your usb stick, does the PlayStation classic boot up in normal mode and work as usual?
Or do you rewrite the system software once and it works like a hacked system?

Can you manage games from the usb, is there like a file manager? How big memory does it have?

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a best OTG adapter to get for this? I should be good with a 16gb USB stick since my current PS1 library is pretty small but want to make sure I don't mess up the OTG part.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
i accidentally disabled the user 1 controller in the retroarch, is there any way i can re-enable it with out reinstalling everything? maybe in the config files from the drive?

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
The setup was pretty easy. Now how do I get rid of the awful pal versions of the games?
Tekken 3 plays really off

Yep. Its because its slower than the NTSC version. Its super noticeable even after not playing the game for well north of a decade. Sony put no real effort into the thing and they were happy to push a retro box with games that literally play at the wrong speed simply to say "hey we got a retro box too - buy it like you bought Nintendo's 2 boxes!!"

Someone earlier told me they cant be removed. But to be honest, you can always just tell the thing not to show the pre-installed games and ignore them if you want.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Picked one up for $34 AUD, worth it just as a display piece at that price.

Ultimately, for whatever other problems it might have, the library killed it.

Lucky for us, tho...

So, man... my Alundra 2 disc scratched and wouldn't play right. So, I was happy to get a chance to play it again... but oh man, this game is UG LY. Holy shit. I hardly realized, in part because of CRT TVs, in part because I was just accustomed to weak graphics. The gap in graphical quality between this and Breath of Fire IV is amazing, considering they both came out the same year.

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
Picked it upp for 349 Swedish kr ( ca 36 dollars) and the controllers works fine with my retropie. As Many already suggested: it's worth the money just as a display and for me the controllers alone. I will probably fill it with psx games later.

Deleted member 55568

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I haven't touched mine for months because I'm waiting for the tools to get to a place where I can remove the games that came with it and store my added games on the internal storage. Weird that it's taking so long.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Finally decide to mod mine, got Autobleem and its easy as counting 1-2-3 to set up. Only have one 16gb usb that work, so with multi disk game like Command & Conquer and Resident Evil 2, was able to fit my best 22 games.

And, to be honest, im just not impress how the visual come out of this. Its perhaps the emulator itself , or because its displayed on my 4k tv and would be better on a CRT, i think it make the games feel they aged even more. Happy to fire up Doom again, but even with gfx filter on, i feel there is something off.

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't touched mine for months because I'm waiting for the tools to get to a place where I can remove the games that came with it and store my added games on the internal storage. Weird that it's taking so long.

There's only a handful of people (at least publicly) working on this now, and most of that focus is on modifications which leave the stock system intact. If you have BleemSync 1.0+ installed and you're set on replacing the stock games then it is reasonably trivial to do so via FTP. There are some written guides on the PlayStation Classic Reddit, and probably some YouTube guides.

And, to be honest, im just not impress how the visual come out of this. Its perhaps the emulator itself , or because its displayed on my 4k tv and would be better on a CRT, i think it make the games feel they aged even more. Happy to fire up Doom again, but even with gfx filter on, i feel there is something off.

I think it's just the reality that PS1 games have visually aged badly, and because it isn't powerful enough to enhance the visuals of the game in any meaningful way you're left with native PS1 output that does look incredibly rough on HD screens. It just cannot compare to a powerful PC which can apply all these visual enhancements to make the games look reasonable.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
There's only a handful of people (at least publicly) working on this now, and most of that focus is on modifications which leave the stock system intact. If you have BleemSync 1.0+ installed and you're set on replacing the stock games then it is reasonably trivial to do so via FTP. There are some written guides on the PlayStation Classic Reddit, and probably some YouTube guides.

I think it's just the reality that PS1 games have visually aged badly, and because it isn't powerful enough to enhance the visuals of the game in any meaningful way you're left with native PS1 output that does look incredibly rough on HD screens. It just cannot compare to a powerful PC which can apply all these visual enhancements to make the games look reasonable.

Yeah, this era really age badly. I just dont feel that nostalgia fix when playing them, more questioning myself ´did it look that bad in the past?´ .

Still happy to have it, paid 30$ cnd for it, but i think it will be more use for nostalgia display than playing with it.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
i just cant get retroarch to work. and for some reason, thps 2 and 3 run like ass. i only have the pal versions but shouldnt they run at 50 fps? thps 2 barely makes it to 30.

Luck

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Perhaps the answer to the following question has already been asked, but I could not find it.

Does the current state of PSC modifications in any way improve the emulation of the original games, or are there still problems with them and it is not possible to improve due to hardware limitations?

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Perhaps the answer to the following question has already been asked, but I could not find it.

Does the current state of PSC modifications in any way improve the emulation of the original games, or are there still problems with them and it is not possible to improve due to hardware limitations?
The emulation is improved for some games like R4 but keep in mind that many of the games used are PAL versions which run at 50hz instead of 60. So there is not much you can do about it if the actual version of the game is not the good one. Tekken 3 runs slower than what I am used to (American version) and it's apparent.
The ps classic came with a bad emulator but also with bad versions of the games. What you can do is upload your own versions of both.

Deleted member 55568

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Sorry if this has been asked before, but with every other device I hook up to my TV, the RGB range is either limited, or I have the option of limited or full. Because of this, I keep my TV set to limited, that way I never need to change anything.

But the PS1 Classic is set to full and you can't change it, so I always have to change my TV from limited to full just for this one device.

Do any of the current tools for adding games allow you to change that RGB setting?