• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Inugami

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Which is best as emulation machine, PS Classic or a Raspberry Pi 3?
PSC plays PSP games perfectly, Pi is more hit or miss. Both are pretty bad at N64. Dreamcast is also very hit and miss on both. That said, anything PS1 and earlier will play perfect on both.

The main advantages to the PSC are price (you can have the PSC at the same price as a Pi with all of the sales on it, but it also comes with a case and 2 controllers where the Pi won't) and PSP games. The Pi, however, comes with bluetooth and wifi, as well as an array of GPIO pins in case you want to do anything arduino like with it.

Not sure how, since the Pi 3 is at least a bit more powerful on paper, but here we are.

The PSC's GPU is a very noticeable gain to the Pi's and there-in lies the difference with PSP and why things like N64 or saturn show almost no benefit since they are CPU limited very hard.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How does the PS4 controller work (with the 8 bit.do receiver) on the Playstation Classic?

Honestly, if it works really well without too much input lag this will become my main emulation machine.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
i could pick one up for 27 bucks. i am still not sure if the system is what i want (with all the possible "upgrades").
- can i add new games (mainly replacing the shitty pal versions)?
- some games have framerate issues (rr4). can i fix that?
- can i tweak some settings (higher resolutions, scanlines, better framerates, filters...)?
- what do i need? usb stick?
- can i use my ps4 controller?
- how do i install stuff and what emulator should i use? (tried retroarch on pc, but i cannot get it to work)

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
i could pick one up for 27 bucks. i am still not sure if the system is what i want (with all the possible "upgrades").
- can i add new games (mainly replacing the shitty pal versions)?
- some games have framerate issues (rr4). can i fix that?
- can i tweak some settings (higher resolutions, scanlines, better framerates, filters...)?
- what do i need? usb stick?
- can i use my ps4 controller?
- how do i install stuff and what emulator should i use? (tried retroarch on pc, but i cannot get it to work)
Just did a search on amazon UK for the classic.

First result seems to be 64gb usb stick preloaded with games and all the software. Ridiculous that came up before the actual product.

Ninge

ID@Xbox Developer Partner Manager
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Is it possible to set this up so that retroarch runs off the internal storage, so you don't need to have a USB connected? Having a USB device plugged in all the time kinda ruins the aesthetic :)

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Is it possible to set this up so that retroarch runs off the internal storage, so you don't need to have a USB connected? Having a USB device plugged in all the time kinda ruins the aesthetic :)
You could get one of those usb drives that's only like 5mm long. Would be a bit more discreet.

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I cannot get Doom to run on Autobleem or Bleemsync to save my life. Anyone here able to get it working?

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Does this thing have decent scanline options? When we say "better emu box than Raspberry Pi," how much better are we talking?

OP
OP
Inugami

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Does this thing have decent scanline options? When we say "better emu box than Raspberry Pi," how much better are we talking?
They both literally use retroarch. If the filter or overlay exists in one, it should work in the other and of course comes with a bunch by default.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
PSC plays PSP games perfectly
Does it? I've got the latest Retroarch build and coreset (1.7.7) and only Crisis Core appears to run at full speed. So far I've also tried Brave Story, which is very choppy, and Prinny 1, which is almost full speed with really bad audio. The fact that Crisis Core works great suggests I'm not too far off from an optimum config.

I'm using Autobleem, but unless bleemsync overclocks the system or something I don't know how to get full speed for all PSP games.

Kris1977

Nov 25, 2017
Does it? I've got the latest Retroarch build and coreset (1.7.7) and only Crisis Core appears to run at full speed. So far I've also tried Brave Story, which is very choppy, and Prinny 1, which is almost full speed with really bad audio. The fact that Crisis Core works great suggests I'm not too far off from an optimum config.

I'm using Autobleem, but unless bleemsync overclocks the system or something I don't know how to get full speed for all PSP games.

Don't worry, what you are getting is about par for the course for psp games. PlayStation classic does not run the vast majority of psp games at full speed. It doesn't have the power. Even a switch with full overclocks struggles with a fair few games so the classic won't ever be able to.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Just bought a PS Classic on a whim today at Best Buy today. They're dirt cheap...29.99. If I mod the PS classic will it result in the pre-installed games being deleted?? I do have a few old games left over that I'd like to try to get running on this thing like Star Ocean 2 for example. I could never stand playing it on the PS2 because it was prone to crashing at times even though the PS2 did add things like perspective correct texturing which made games look worlds better.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Just bought a PS Classic on a whim today at Best Buy today. They're dirt cheap...29.99. If I mod the PS classic will it result in the pre-installed games being deleted?? I do have a few old games left over that I'd like to try to get running on this thing like Star Ocean 2 for example. I could never stand playing it on the PS2 because it was prone to crashing at times even though the PS2 did add things like perspective correct texturing which made games look worlds better.
Pretty sure you still keep the pre-installed games.

Sejanoz

Nov 10, 2017
Just got one. It's so tiny!
It took me an hour to find a compatible charger though, the ones from my old phones wouldn't work. Almost thought I had a broken unit

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017

Same here. I saw these at Walmart Canada for $29.99 and said to myself "what the hell?" and just bought one. I don't think it will be a substiture for my raspberry pi. These things don't have any wireless or a network connections, which makes it a bit more limited, IMO. I can;t really use it as an "all in one" TV HUB, like I can with a Raspberry Pi. But I do like the design and it does come with two USB gamepads.

Also, I use Linux as my main OS, and I tried plugging one of the gamepads into my PC and I get no response. I wonder if there are any custom drivers for these pads? Or can I just detect them as generic US pads?

But I mostly bought this thing just to soft mod it. Because... the default emulation really does suck.

Last edited:

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Same here. I saw these at Walmart Canada for $29.99 and said to myself "what the hell?" and just bought one. I don't think it will be a substiture for my raspberry pi. These things don't have any wireless or a network connections, which makes it a bit more limited, IMO. I can;t really use it as an "all in one" TV HUB, like I can with a Raspberry Pi. But I do like the design and it does come with two USB gamepads.

Just a quick update. I modded this with Bleemsync, and loaded in some of my own games, along with Genesis/ Mega Drive and SNES titles. For less than $35 with taxes, this thing is pretty cool modded. It comes with two game controllers, looks nice as a little showpiece beside my TV, the PSXReloaded emulator that comes with Bleemsync is infinitely better than the emulator packaged with the system. It's nice that I can also load the built in games into Bleemsync and get a better experience. The PS1 style gamepads are pretty nice, but they do feel a touch worse than the original PS1 pads. But they are satisfactory. I'm liking it so far.

sca

Oct 25, 2017
I laughed when it was released for $99, but for $30 plus its recently unlocked potential,its too good to not buy it anymore. Im even thinking of buying 2, to keep one sealed for posterity reasons
I preordered it at $99, then another for $26. Oh well. I've been forgetting/too lazy to set it up

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
You can't actually remove the preinstalled games from the system currently. All the games you add to it stay on a USB drive; the hacked software just adds the USB drive games to the default carosel UI. There are options to prevent the default games from appearing in the carosel but they'll still be on the system.

So far most of the hacks are minimally invasive and the system will return to acting like a stock unit if you unplug the USB drive.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
You can't actually remove the preinstalled games from the system currently. All the games you add to it stay on a USB drive; the hacked software just adds the USB drive games to the default carosel UI. There are options to prevent the default games from appearing in the carosel but they'll still be on the system.

So far most of the hacks are minimally invasive and the system will return to acting like a stock unit if you unplug the USB drive.

Exactly what I discovered and exactly what I want.

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Does any usb hub work to play 2 player?
Yes.

Are there any that match the color well?

Before you do this, the latest versions of BleemSync support the OTG (USB on the go) connector on the back of the machine, as well. So, you could buy something like this (there's lots of different options here, I'm just using one example)...

And just plug it into the USB power connector in the back of the unit and split it between your USB thumb drive and OTG power cable. so you can spare the one USB plug in the front of the machine for that second controller.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone tell me what the experience is like with a PS4 controller and the 8bitdo receiver?

Ninge

ID@Xbox Developer Partner Manager
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
This is probably more of a Retroarch question, but I want to set some nice defaults for PSX titles in retroarch as it runs the built in ones way better than the built in emulator. Sadly, i only seem to be able to set some things per game from the quick menu. EG: scanlines, high resolution mode, filtering etc. Is there any way to set this defaults for ALL games and then override them per game if i don't want to use them?

itschris

Oct 27, 2017
This is probably more of a Retroarch question, but I want to set some nice defaults for PSX titles in retroarch as it runs the built in ones way better than the built in emulator. Sadly, i only seem to be able to set some things per game from the quick menu. EG: scanlines, high resolution mode, filtering etc. Is there any way to set this defaults for ALL games and then override them per game if i don't want to use them?

Yeah, there are options under Quick Menu > Overrides. You can save a settings override for the current core (in this case, the PSX emulator), or you can save an override for the current game.

jimtothehum

Mar 23, 2018
I picked up a Sandisk Cruzer 128 GB 2.0 USB stick, followed the directions for Bleemsync, plugged in the stick in the second port, plugged the power cord in and turned on the PS Classic. Nothing happened, just loaded up like normal. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if I have an incompatible flash drive.

Oct 27, 2017
I picked up a Sandisk Cruzer 128 GB 2.0 USB stick, followed the directions for Bleemsync, plugged in the stick in the second port, plugged the power cord in and turned on the PS Classic. Nothing happened, just loaded up like normal. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if I have an incompatible flash drive.
Sounds like an incompatible flash drive.

I had to test 6 of them at home and only one worked for me.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
According to the site, you shouldn't have any cables connected at all (though I've only ever unplugged the power with the controller and HDMI remaining in). YMMV.