• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
This is why you aren't in charge of Nintendo! Their software is there bread and butter. Pretty sure they don't care about console wars with PS4 selling 300k more...
Rising tide lifts all boats etc.:
That's not the only crazy fact today. For example, revenue generated from Sony's PSN in 2018 is higher than Nintendo's total revenue for 2018.

A higher install base means many more (third party) software sales.

chechi

Dec 3, 2018
Really impressiv! Would be crazy if it could beat the ps1 sales - and everything looks like it will. "Just" 10 more millions to go!

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
It's not just the EU, the likes of South America, Africa, Middle East, and other regions that aren't seen as the major markets all add up to make a difference for Sony I would think

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Love how strong the industry is at the moment, two consoles doing over 17 million in a year is great.

raygcon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
PS4 is a beast. But I mean Switch is only Nintendo's game that carry the machine which is more impressive to me.

ElFly

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo really needs to start dropping big games in the middle of the year too.

Just trusting in Smash Bros on Xmas was not enough.

Hermione Granger

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 9, 2018
With all these threads and hype about Switch, I was sure it was easily the best selling console. Like damn, PS4 is 5 years old. Seriously impressive.

Mirev

Jun 8, 2018
I'm a Switch and PS4 Pro owner. It's the best combination so far.

Congratulations to Sony for what they're doing.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
I'm rather impressed with the PlayStation brand to be honest. Since the PS1 Sony has been putting up a fight with their competition, and dominating during all but the PS3 era.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Spider-Man, Spider-Man, selling as many consoles he can

It's good to see they are investing that profit into their first party studios. Bring out even more great games in the future which attracts even more costumers.
I only wish they release more children friendly games like in the PS1 and PS2 days.
I wish I could say to you that Dreams is coming soon but it isn't :/

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Not really, and you can't really blame them anyway.

As long as there's football games and there's a new PlayStation to play them on, EU will be a guaranteed market for PS.
Take FIFA and/or PES out of the picture and Europe is suddenly a much less relevant market worldwide, but of course there's no chance of that happening.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think the Switch will still be the best selling console for the FY though.
Possible, but unlikely.
Nin tend to over-perform in Holidays, but not so much in Q1 of CYs.
Otoh Sony with no promos in December should have a somewhat smaller drop than either MS or Nin in January, and has historically done "ok" in Q1s.

Geinrendour

Jun 3, 2018
It's not just the EU, the likes of South America, Africa, Middle East, and other regions that aren't seen as the major markets all add up to make a difference for Sony I would think

Yeah. Brazil here is a decent market as well and Sony dominates. Lots of friends bought last year and Sony has been doing good work with ads and prices with PSN and the likes.

Can't even try to compare it with Switch here because Nintendo doesn't sell it officially in Brazil which is freaking laughable.

Oct 25, 2017
This is without price cuts through the year too. EU and those smaller countries shouldn't be underestimated.

With that being said, I think Nintendo's poor first half has a lot to do with this result too.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. Brazil here is a decent market as well and Sony dominates. Lots of friends bought last year and Sony has been doing good work with ads and prices with PSN and the likes.

Can't even try to compare it with Switch here because Nintendo doesn't sell it officially in Brazil which is freaking laughable.

Really? I thought Brazil was Xbox country...nice to hear

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Possible, but unlikely.
Otoh Sony with no promos in December should have a somewhat smaller drop than either MS or Nin in January, and has historically done "ok" in Q1s.

Nintendo actually has solid Q1 thanks to carry over from the Holidays. They actually beat Sony last year.

Sony's report came in:

PS4

Q1 2018 : 2,5M

Switch

Q1 2018 : 2,93M

The problem was their Q1.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Sony plays it right with PS5 ($400, fully BC) they'll carry the majority of their user base and momentum over and keep dominating.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Huh, I was under the impression that the Switch had a significant lead. Guess I've been reading too much Era.

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
Yes but I think Nintendo was very cautious, I think they will finish at 18.5 million or something.

It's not just a matter of being cautious, it's that they know how much they have already overshipped. So at some point they need to compensate.

About PS4 obviously these are great sales, imo there is still a lot of potential in the console with the great lineup that Sony is preparing. Games like TLOU2, Death Stranding and Ghost of Tsushima. The main issue I see is that they need to permanently cut the price to 199$ to unlock those sales. New models or even smaller revisions for both base ps4 and pro using 7nm chips should be in the works. In any case they need to cut the price otherwise the drop in sales will be brutal this fiscal year.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
Possible, but unlikely.

You had Smash in December, its effect will still be felt in FY Q4. The Switch sales were huge in early january. And we had New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe as well. So I think they'll do very well. At least 3 million units.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
PSN making more money than all of Nintendo is flipping nuts

Really nuts.

And entire MS gaming division.
Wow...this can't be right......
Yup, it's why I don't read too much into NPDs. It's good to know how well the consoles are doing regionally but it's important to remember that there's a whole world out there. When you focus too much on one region's sales you tend to forget the rest of the world and live in your own bubble.

Yup, and this applies to any reigon.

USA is USA
Japan is Japan
UK is UK

Last edited: