• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thug Larz

Designer @ Bungie
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Good question.

Unsure how quickly or if would change in the same way. Unless the whole ecosystem becomes more like the current TV & Movie market where it's al about digital streaming platforms. Like if Luna, Stadia, and xCloud become the dominant ways to play games, I could see it.

I could also see a much smaller physical place, with digital codes for games and/or subscriptions on cards.

As long as people buy physical things like consoles, controllers, discs, etc...there will probably be space for them.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
It will happen and it will happen a lot sooner than some people here think.

Of course, there will be some physical releases left for collectors (or at least fancy boxes with download codes) but as a mainstream thing physical video games are losing relevancy fast.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I think eventually you'll see physical media disappear from brick and mortar stores, and instead will transfer to them being only available from online retailers because most people don't have great internet and data caps will forever be a thing.

CoinReturn

Nov 7, 2017
Vinegar Syndrome, Shout Factory, Second Sight, Criterion, Vestron and other boutique labels are putting out incredible Blu-ray and 4K discs, and there is a tangible difference in quality in comparison to streaming. There is no difference in videogames though, which is why I think physical games will die off before films.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it has shifted, but that doesn't mean it's going to be a nonstop shift until it's 100% digital, 0% physical. I feel like people in this thread aren't realizing this. They're trying to make digital more appealing, for profit reasons, but physical media is still massive and not going away.
Movies and DVDs are still being made.
It's just that Wallmart have decided that the market is too small to bother. Disney are abandoning UHD in favour of streaming exclusives.
Physical media market share will continue to shrink, particularly with the new digital only consoles. And all it takes is for the market to shrink enough for big stores to decide not to bother.
Digital has overtaken physical in a year with COVID 19 and you are acting like its 80-20. It isn't that I don't want a pure digital future, its the fact that you are completely assuming everyone lives in an area with access to broadband. Until that is a reality, until 1TB data caps are gone, etc. then physical will be an option. No console manufacture or game publisher is leaving that money on the table.
I'm not acting like it's 80-20. But I can see a lot of big companies moving in that direction. The infrastructure is there. Australia may have generally crappier internet than other places, but we've had unlimited plans for nearly 20 years.

SavageRobbery

Jul 28, 2018
In the future sure, but not until download speeds improve and data caps are eliminated. There will still be a need or at least preference for a while on those people who deal with those restrictions to be able to buy physical copies.

Sep 23, 2018
I live off having my consoles tethered to my unlimited mobile data SIM plan through a £150 smartphone. And I collect physical games. No way do I want a physical to go away.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
No. Physical movies still exist and will continue to. Same with games, even if it becomes a niche, it will always exist.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
The Walmart near me has gotten rid of its video game section and put the major titles and systems behind the counter from what I can tell. Movies only had a small section. So this is literally happening already with movies and games.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
I love physical movies but it has been a while since I walked to the back of my local Walmart to see what they have on hand. To my surprise there were no movies on the shelves.

I asked an employee if they were just remodeling and they respond they are getting rid of it altogether. The horror!

This happening a year after one of the biggest TV shows ends and the highest grossing movie ever is released.

I don't know how widespread this is but it can't be disputed streaming and downloading has struck a death blow to brick and mortar rental stores at least in the States.

Digital is making up an increasing portion of game sales. This gen almost every retail game had a digital store version. Next gen the twins are releasing digital-only versions on their boxes.

It may not happen quickly or at all, but do you think game physical games will become more of a quaint reminder of a bygone era for collectors in the decades to come?
Our local Walmart got remodeled and now the game sections are a fraction of what they were. More accessories, consoles, and TVs everywhere, and more phones and tablets and things, but definitely less actual games in game cases. But there are Xbox/PSN/Google/Amazon gift cards every 6 feet it seems.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Completely different markets. Why hasn't consoles allowed me to upgrade my graphics card.

You cant answer a question with another question.

What does an upgradable graphics card have to do with PC's switch to becoming an entirely digitised marketplace?

PC sat alongside Console games for the longest time , MMO's took the ownership out of the equation and made the subscription the important part.
Valve made the most anticipated PC exclusive digital only and unsealed the cork of Pc games' move to digital only.

We haven't had that Half Life 2 moment, but we are only moments away From something happening in the console space.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017

What does an upgradable graphics card have to do with PC's switch to becoming an entirely digitised marketplace?

PC sat alongside Console games for the longest time , MMO's took the ownership out of the equation and made the subscription the important part.
Valve made the most anticipated PC exclusive digital only and unsealed the cork of Pc games' move to digital only.

We haven't had that Half Life 2 moment, but we are only moments away From something happening in the console space.

Half Life 2 definitely still had a physical release. It just required Steam.

It's funny you mention MMOs as they're one of the few genres where physical releases are still pretty big. Final Fantasy XIV and World of Warcraft both still have physical releases.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Already happening.

Walmart near me has next to nothing in terms of physical games.

same with Best Buy

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Half Life 2 definitely still had a physical release. It just required Steam.

It's funny you mention MMOs as they're one of the few genres where physical releases are still pretty big. Final Fantasy XIV and World of Warcraft both still have physical releases.

It was a code in a box that installation media included. I had customers at the time to had to leave the game "validating" the content of the dvd for days on end on their 56k modem 😂

Especially painful if you bought the collectors edition of the game That had Half Life and CS included. There was a shit tonne of validating that had to be done.

Tiber

Nov 1, 2017
A matter of when, not if.

I haven't bought a physical movie in a very long time, surprised they are still so widely stocked.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Right now many PS4/Switch physical games don't get Xbox physical release

Oct 26, 2017
Yep. It's a matter of time IMO.

Still surprised this gen wasn't the one where they nailed that coffin.

Why would you be surprised? MS tried to do it cold turkey and got bit in the ass.

So the natural recourse is to ease in the digital boxes and eventually phase out the physical editions.

Right now many PS4/Switch physical games don't get Xbox physical release

Isn't this because Xbox One sales are lagging significantly behind? So obviously companies would be less inclined to port physical games for it

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
why did pc game developers move away from physical then?

1. ludicrously low prices from key shops
2. no one has a blu ray drive
3. no point when every game has to be tied to an account to even get updates

none of this applies to the console space, so physical sales are on a normal, gradually decreasing level

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not acting like it's 80-20. But I can see a lot of big companies moving in that direction. The infrastructure is there. Australia may have generally crappier internet than other places, but we've had unlimited plans for nearly 20 years.
The United States doesn't, the overwhelming majority of people have a 1TB cap. If they even have broadband.

Frag Waffles

Apr 7, 2018
Physical game sections have definitely dwindled. It's one of those things where not only is digital taking over, but if you want physical, you can just have it shipped to you.

I imagine the market for window shopping games barely exists anymore.

Oct 25, 2017

Because they are two completely different markets. I would bet the majority of PC builders don't even put a optical drive in their system.

I can buy a game key for a PC game cheaper than I can buy a console game which is why I don't mind digital on the PC.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Because they are two completely different markets. I would bet the majority of PC builders don't even put a optical drive in their system.

I can buy a game key for a PC game cheaper than I can buy a console game which is why I don't mind digital on the PC.

But as I've just said I my post, that was not always the case, games started to go digital BEFORE people started building PCs without a drive.
PC games we're always 25% cheaper than the console equivalent, even when we all bought them on CDs. That's not a new thing.
Tell me What was it that caused PC gamers to ditch discs and go digital.
It wasn't price.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
I think it is inevitable.

On PC, for example, I don't even have a cd player and haven't had for almost a decade maybe?

On consoles we now have 2 versions of next gen being digital only.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Physical games are not going away any time soon. I could see it happening maybe in 10+ years (assuming infrastructure changes).
It's already slowly going away. Many indie games are digital only, now we are seeing foreign games releasing locally with only digital options. Both Sony and Microsoft are now going to have cheaper digital only consoles. Lots of retail stores have already closed. I'm not suggesting physical is going to die soon, just where to buy them.

The fact is there is less and less of a need now for the disk. They all have to be installed and we always have patches.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's already slowly going away. Many indie games are digital only, now we are seeing foreign games releasing locally with only digital options. Both Sony and Microsoft are now going to have cheaper digital only consoles. Lots of retail stores have already closed. I'm not suggesting physical is going to die soon, just where to buy them.

The fact is there is less and less of a need now for the disk. They all have to be installed and we always have patches.
Indie games are an extremely weird barometer for judging this, there are more physical indie releases now than there were 5-10 years ago

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I really noticed it with preowned games this gen, right from launch, less physical stuff was sold , so there was less used in the shelves.
It's crazy how small the preowned sections are when I occasionally go into games shops now

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
the bigger games get the further and further an all digital future gets

until developers get game size under control, there will still be a sizeable market for physical games

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
My Walmart renovated the movie/games last year. Movies got shrunk down to half an aisle and a bargain title end cap. Games got moved into smaller/individual glass cases by platform, each with their own half aisle. Games/systems in the cases and controllers and random accessories on pegs next to the case. It is much more organized but there are only maybe 10-15 different games in each case so the pickings are slim beyond new releases. I can't imagine it will get remodeled again for at least another 3-5 years.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Netflix killed me buying physical movies. I'll buy one or two a year if I'm lucky.

Video games are way cheaper physical still and outside of gamepass, I still want to own video games because I mainly play on Switch/PS4. PC gamepass isn't as good and the physical market for it is dead anyway, but there's better options at trying to get cheap games.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
The fact that it's moving in this direction without DRM free alternatives, is honestly tragic.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
I was all in to go digital...until I saw the ps5s SSD space. It'll have to wait for Ps5 pro or the gen after when storage space has caught up more.

I was pretty much all digital anyways since getting a regular HDD is cheap enough. It's funny how much this sad sort of threw things back.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. We lost. Shit is done.

PS5/Switch 2 will be the last consoles with physical media and it breaks my heart.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
There will ALWAYS be physical games. The real question is how much of said physical will there be?
Outside AAA titles, I think more and more titles are going to rely on services such as LRG or Super Rare Games.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
There will ALWAYS be physical games. The real question is how much of said physical will there be?
Outside AAA titles, I think more and more titles are going to rely on services such as LRG or Super Rare Games.
This is exactly the same development that has been happening in physical movie releases.

The more niche titles even from major studios are being released by boutique labels like Arrow or Eureka. There is no way a company like Arrow would have been able licence films like Robocop or Flash Gordon just five years ago.

mrbogus

Jul 14, 2019
I think it will happen eventually, but then the game section will still be there and look sort-of like the old Toys R Us game section where you had pieces of paper to turn in to get games. Only this time the pieces of paper will just be a game code.

Adam Tyner

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this because Xbox One sales are lagging significantly behind?
I don't know if this is still the case, but the word from companies like Limited Run Games is that the minimum order for an Xbox run is significantly higher than Nintendo or Sony, to the point where the numbers aren't really workable. And, yeah, when you factor that in with the smaller install base, plus the fact that a lot of people who might buy a physical release on the Xbox One (especially in certain genres) probably also have access to a PS4 or Switch, it can be tough to make a case for it.