• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Off topic, but what recent meme has caused so many different posters to use this exact avatar?

14377.jpg

MoogleMaestro

Oct 25, 2017
Which restaurant was it? Because if they didn't leave it in a Washington DC area McDonald's then they clearly don't have the goods and don't know their target very well.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And in every subsequent game he's shown off even worse tendencies, including the heaviest homophobia ive ever seen in a game, Catherine's transphobia, and all of the games' still rampant sexism.

"heaviest homophobia i've ever seen in a game" just says to me you don't play many games or consume much media in general, because the homophobia in hashino's games, while undoubtedly present and a problem, is largely relegated to poor-taste jokes (over-the-top flamboyant stereotyping, cross-dressing jokes, etc.) that queer people have had to put up with from media for decades. people also don't seem as keen to talk about this as the bad stuff, but catherine fullbody also adds
a full-fledged gay romance route that's put on just the same level as the straight ones
, added in no small part because hashino himself thought times had progressed enough where they could do it.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
It's like they realised halfway through writing the tweet that P5 is very political but decided to post anyway.

And of course somebody upset at politics in games is excited about FF7.

Real life politics in escapist entertainment ruins the escapism for some. That doesn't make them evil. And by real life, i mean names, parties, etc. Moreover, why should a videogames player care what a jpn anime writer thinks about us politics? Like maybe look to people like Noam Chomsky.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"heaviest homophobia i've ever seen in a game" just says to me you don't play many games or consume much media in general, because the homophobia in hashino's games, while undoubtedly present and a problem, is largely relegated to poor-taste jokes (over-the-top flamboyant stereotyping, cross-dressing jokes, etc.) that queer people have had to put up with from media for decades. people also don't seem as keen to talk about this as the bad stuff, but catherine fullbody also adds
a full-fledged gay romance route that's put on just the same level as the straight ones
, added in no small part because hashino himself thought times had progressed enough where they could do it.
The homophobic, sexist, and transphobic bullshit being stereotypical poor taste jokes doesn't make it any better. And I'm not going to believe that Hashino actually wanted to put gay romance in his games all along when the way he represented queer people in his games before was so horrid. And perhaps people don't bring it up as much as the bad stuff because it doesn't make up for the bad stuff in Full Body at all. Cool that he maybe has slightly less horrible opinions about gay people now, but going by the content of his work dude's still a sexist and transphobic piece of shit. Not the absolute worst bigot in the JP game industry of course, but still a piece of shit.

Deleted member 2474

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Dismissive and Antagonistic Commentary
The homophobic, sexist, and transphobic bullshit being stereotypical poor taste jokes doesn't make it any better. And I'm not going to believe that Hashino actually wanted to put gay romance in his games all along when the way he represented queer people in his games before was so horrid. And perhaps people don't bring it up as much as the bad stuff because it doesn't make up for the bad stuff in Full Body at all. Cool that he maybe has slightly less horrible opinions about gay people now, but going by the content of his work dude's still a sexist and transphobic piece of shit. Not the absolute worst bigot in the JP game industry of course, but still a piece of shit.

It doesn't make it acceptable by any means, but I think it clearly comes more from a place of ignorance and lack of understanding rather than deliberate hatred or malice, and while it's not happening as quickly as any of us would like, I think Atlus is learning. And you can not believe Hashino wanted to add that route all you want, but he literally said they wanted to do it in the original game and just didn't think it would be accepted at the time - refusing to believe it strikes me as selectively rejecting reality to better suit your own narrative.

I certainly won't blame anyone for being upset or angry at some of the shit in these games (believe me, I fucking get it), but I also think these games have a lot of positive and even progressive messages that many games don't dare to make either, and I'm pretty damn tired at this point of the armchair psychoanalysis and outright dismissal of anything Hashino does as worthless hateful garbage.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
The political message of FF7 is way too nuanced for people like that.
At this point I'm not even sure how blatant something needs to be for people like that to get it to be honest.
Real life politics in escapist entertainment ruins the escapism for some. That doesn't make them evil. And by real life, i mean names, parties, etc. Moreover, why should a videogames player care what a jpn anime writer thinks about us politics? Like maybe look to people like Noam Chomsky.
Persona 5 is a game that's very political and draws heavily from real life events/people. Acting like something related to politics that a random fan of the game did somehow has an impact on the game is stupid, not only because that fan has zero involvement with the game but also because the game it's pulling from is already political.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Excuse me, you dont get to tell a homosexual what is more homophobic

As a gay man, Persona 4 and 5 are the only games that have EVER made me actively sick to my stomach and forced me to stop playing for a few months.

How dare you try to play down the wild homophobia both Yosuke spouts and the predators are, jesus christ

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't make it acceptable by any means, but I think it clearly comes more from a place of ignorance and lack of understanding rather than deliberate hatred or malice, and while it's not happening as quickly as any of us would like, I think Atlus is learning. And you can not believe Hashino wanted to add that route all you want, but he literally said they wanted to do it in the original game and just didn't think it would be accepted at the time - refusing to believe it strikes me as selectively rejecting reality to better suit your own narrative.

I certainly won't blame anyone for being upset or angry at some of the shit in these games (believe me, I fucking get it), but I also think these games have a lot of positive and even progressive messages that many games don't dare to make either, and I'm pretty damn tired at this point of the armchair psychoanalysis and outright dismissal of anything Hashino does as worthless hateful garbage.
I'm not going to believe that the way he portrays queer people is just out of ignorance, not when the stereotypes he uses can be so hateful. I'd also hardly call the games he worked on progressive, aside from maybe compared to other mainstream games. Besides that, since Sega JP has recently legitimately been making efforts to be more LGBTQ+ inclusive inside the company, I imagine that changes are more likely to come from that.

I do agree with that his games generally shouldn't be dismissed as complete hateful garbage, but the games undeniably contain it. And personally I'm going to be skeptical of Hashino's work, and I won't blame anyone for thinking he's a piece of shit. Cause he sure made it look like he is one.

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the message of Persona 5 is really important to world events, people wanting to "keep politics out" are deluded. Such a progressive game, I cant wait for Royal to expand and fine tune it

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Cringey.

Big yikes for people who think this is cool and/or rebellious. Then again, that would make those people just as edgy as the characters in P5, so it works.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

"Gamers"

What is with the intense cognitive dissonance of so many gamers when it comes to politics existing in games? Like, do they see all that shit at face value and not see the underlying commentary on the society that inspired the material in the first place?

SlimeKnight

Jan 2, 2018
Excuse me, you dont get to tell a homosexual what is more homophobic

As a gay man, Persona 4 and 5 are the only games that have EVER made me actively sick to my stomach and forced me to stop playing for a few months.

How dare you try to play down the wild homophobia both Yosuke spouts and the predators are, jesus christ

I'm also a gay man and find the "gay men are pedophiles and sexual predators" stereotypes Persona games repeatedly throw around to be disgusting and unforgivable. The fact that someone in this thread is going out of their way to dismiss this shit as harmless little jokes and telling us that we have no right to be offended by it is ridiculous and said person should be ashamed.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm also a gay man and find the "gay men are pedophiles and sexual predators" stereotypes Persona games repeatedly throw around to be disgusting and unforgivable. The fact that someone in this thread is going out of their way to dismiss this shit as harmless little jokes and telling us that we have no right to be offended by it is ridiculous and said person should be ashamed.
Nowhere did they call them harmless or that you shouldn't be offended by them.

Deleted member 2474

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that someone in this thread is going out of their way to dismiss this shit as harmless little jokes and telling us that we have no right to be offended by it is ridiculous and said person should be ashamed.

that is absolutely not the point I was making at all, and I directly said these things are shitty and it's totally fair to be angry about it. my point is that acting like this stuff is, to quote the user i was replying to, "the heaviest homophobia" ever to be in a video game is ludicrous. there are right wingers that have literally made video games about slaughtering queer people.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
At this point I'm not even sure how blatant something needs to be for people like that to get it to be honest.

Persona 5 is a game that's very political and draws heavily from real life events/people. Acting like something related to politics that a random fan of the game did somehow has an impact on the game is stupid, not only because that fan has zero involvement with the game but also because the game it's pulling from is already political.

Guy was talking about real life politics, you know actually naming names and parties and shit.

And I agree. when i want to get educated about the real world, i dont look to anime videogames. Ymmv, tho. No judgement.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I don't recall P5 having anything interesting to say outside of "kids rule, adults drool", but it's been awhile since I've played it.

It isn't really kids rule, adults drool though. It's about recognizing people who feel oppressed by those who hold the power. There are loads of adults you meet that are in similar situations to the thieves where someone holds power over them, and their confidants are about breaking out from that.

A quick notes version on the message of P5 would be about activism, about recognizing that there is corruption and power abuse and doing something, anything in your power, to combat that. The greatest message comes from the very end of the game where

Everyone you've impacted comes out and tries to help you, to fix something they all recognize as an injustice, through completely ordinary and mundane means, spreading awareness of the situation, writing letters, etc. Basically, no matter if you lack power in government or your community, you can still do something to change the situation.

Game definitely has rough parts, but I personally thought it was a good message that I often see diluted to just "lol, fuck adults."

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
Video games don't have to directly name names when it's obvious what they're referencing. Even if for some reason gamer brain=missing any commentary.

Like what exactly are you criticising? The people who dont want Trump in their videogame? Because that was what the tweet was about, actually naming trump in a videogame context.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
It isn't really kids rule, adults drool though. It's about recognizing people who feel oppressed by those who hold the power. There are loads of adults you meet that are in similar situations to the thieves where someone holds power over them, and their confidants are about breaking out from that.

A quick notes version on the message of P5 would be about activism, about recognizing that there is corruption and power abuse and doing something, anything in your power, to combat that. The greatest message comes from the very end of the game where

Everyone you've impacted comes out and tries to help you, to fix something they all recognize as an injustice, through completely ordinary and mundane means, spreading awareness of the situation, writing letters, etc. Basically, no matter if you lack power in government or your community, you can still do something to change the situation.

Game definitely has rough parts, but I personally thought it was a good message that I often see diluted to just "lol, fuck adults."

While selfishly i wanted another small town japanese murder mystery with dungeon crawling and social links instead of p5, if it did have a positive impact somehow, then i am glad they didn't make another p4g. I can always go read nisioisin for some escapism.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I remember when the r/Persona5 reddit started banning "phantom thieves send calling card to real life person" threads due to how frequent and honestly, kinda cringe they were.

This one has a lot more effort put into it though.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Like what exactly are you criticising? The people who dont want Trump in their videogame? Because that was what the tweet was about, actually naming trump in a videogame context.
But there's no Trump in their video game. This is a real card in real life about a real person, referencing a video game. I take umbrage in the sentiment a medium that is actually rife with political commentary shouldn't be brought up in the context of real life politics, because real life politics are exactly why there's that commentary to begin with.

And, if you're talking about escapism, virtually wishing the convenience of a video game on real life vexation is exactly it. Making that card is escapism.