• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
uploadvr.com

Persistence Dev Firesprite Hiring For VR Game Based On 'Multimillion Selling Console IP'

The Persistence developer Firesprite is working on a new VR game based on a new, multimillion-selling console title from the last decade. Job listings for the UK-based studio (first spotted on Reddit) outline an action adventure game that’s “adapted from one of the most original and successful...

The Persistence developer Firesprite is working on a new VR game based on a new, multimillion-selling console title from the last decade.

Job listings for the UK-based studio (first spotted on Reddit) outline an action adventure game that's "adapted from one of the most original and successful multimillion selling console IP titles in the last 10 years." A listing for a Lead Producer says the developer is working with the IP holder to release a "whole new chapter" in a "highly original universe". It will also uitlize "the full immersive capabilities in VR".

There's no other hints about what the title could be but it's worth noting that The Persistence was initially released as a PSVR exclusive with the help of Sony before coming to PC VR and flatscreen consoles. Given that that relationship already exists, and the fact that Sony has released multiple successful new IP in the past 10 years, could the team perhaps be working on another PSVR project? If so, which IP would you want to see brought to VR?

Any ideas what this "multimillion selling console IP" could be? If we're narrowing it down to Sony IPs...I'm still not sure lol. The Persistence is an fps, but that's no indication whatever this is has to be that, but it could very well be from a third person IP translating it for a first person VR experience. My fan bias wants it to be something like TLOU, but I kinda doubt they'd let anyone touch that IP besides ND. Killzone VR maybe?

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
There's a rumour about some kind of Horizon VR game that's been doing the rounds for a while.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
If it is PS VR related then you wonder which VR?

I think it is time to move on to PSVR2 software development if it exist.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Yeah, I made a thread about this almost 2 years ago.

It's not been announced since then (obviously), and it feels like Sony aren't really focussing on PSVR at the moment. Maybe it's been bumped to be a PSVR2 launch title at this point.

Firesprite have a bunch of games cooking at the moment and they've managed to expand into a huge studio of 160+ people, whilst currently hiring for around 70 more.

www.resetera.com

Firesprite (Ex-Sony Liverpool/Wipeout) are working a PlayStation VR game based on a globally recognised multi-million selling action RPG

Firesprite (The Playroom/The Persistence) who were a spin-off studio when SCE Studio Liverpool (Psygnosis) closed have been doing a lot of hiring lately. Some of their job listings refer to them working on a new IP, however more interesting is that they are working on a new PSVR title as...

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I was lucky enough to visit London Studio around the time Blood & Truth was coming out and they took us on this cool tour. It'd be surprising if they weren't doing VR anymore because they seemed HEAVY into it back then. Although, obviously, this was like two weeks before Blood & Truth was due out.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Yeah, I posted about it in the first-party thread about a month ago.

All job listings and references to VR were removed from their website. Also Stuart Whyte who was previously "Director of VR Development" is now Co-Studio Head instead.

There's a slim chance they are still working on VR, but they doing their best to hide it...

Edit - Posted about it in December:
www.resetera.com

PlayStation Studios |OT16| Where we're going, we don't need loads. OT

I dont know much about their VR output, but calling their other stuff great is uh something.
www.resetera.com

PlayStation Studios |OT16| Where we're going, we don't need loads. OT

I dont know much about their VR output, but calling their other stuff great is uh something.

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
If you were going to release a new VR system, it makes sense to have some great software for it. Horizon and Astrobot: Rescue Missions 2 is a good place to start.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yeah, I posted about it in the first-party thread about a month ago.

All job listings and references to VR were removed from their website. Also Stuart Whyte who was previously "Director of VR Development" is now Co-Studio Head instead.

There's a slim chance they are still working on VR, but they doing their best to hide it...

Interesting. It's a weird one because, honestly, I'm not sure what else they would actually do... The studio seemed really small to me, and while I know they've made other stuff like SingStar and EyePet, I kinda got the impression that they'd put everything into VR over the past five or so years, starting with PSVR Worlds and then Blood & Truth.

They really gave me a "we are the experts on this" kinda vibe.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I was lucky enough to visit London Studio around the time Blood & Truth was coming out and they took us on this cool tour. It'd be surprising if they weren't doing VR anymore because they seemed HEAVY into it back then. Although, obviously, this was like two weeks before Blood & Truth was due out.
Ever since we got word that Sony was working on a headset intended for release in 2025, I thought that it might be possible that PSVR2 won't be coming out until then: https://uploadvr.com/sony-next-generation-vr-headset/

If so, it would make sense why London Studio backed off with the VR naming, as they'd have a large gap with no new hardware to release on.

As for why a PSVR2 might slip to 2025, I suppose the main reason is eye-tracked foveated rendering being so incredibly hard to do, and wireless functionality being hard to get at the right cost. I hope that this is just a Sony headset not intended for PlayStation and a PSVR2 releases in 2022, but I can see reasons why there might be a VR gap for Sony this generation.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. It's a weird one because, honestly, I'm not sure what else they would actually do... The studio seemed really small to me, and while I know they've made other stuff like SingStar and EyePet, I kinda got the impression that they'd put everything into VR over the past five or so years, starting with PSVR Worlds and then Blood & Truth.

Their next game could be SingStar with a VR mode but not necessary.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
If that's Horizon VR, what is London Studio doing?

For some reason I thought that was it.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England

London Studio is an interesting one.

They had a team called "New Entertainment" working on a second project, but all references and hiring about that team got removed from the website along with the Creative Director and others moving off it so that clearly got cancelled. They've had quite a few departures in recent months as well.

The European trademark from a few months ago by SIE for "Soho Engine" was surely for London Studio, so maybe they are refocussing and are in the early stages of making their own full-fletched AAA game similar to what Sony Bend did. That's at least my hope anyway. A reboot of The Getaway franchise given the AAA treatment would be amazing.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Persistance was one of my favorite PSVR game of all time. This was that good, give them anything !

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
I don't think they're doing TLOU VR

But what if someone was doing TLOU VR?

ND were talking like they were working on something special