• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
He totally supports the troops.
Even for those of us who are all too wearily familiar with President Donald Trump's disdain for journalists, his administration's latest attack on the free press is a bit of a jaw-dropper.

In a heretofore unpublicized recent memo, the Pentagon delivered an order to shutter Stars and Stripes, a newspaper that has been a lifeline and a voice for American troops since the Civil War. The memo orders the publisher of the news organization (which now publishes online as well as in print) to present a plan that "dissolves the Stars and Stripes" by Sept. 15 including "specific timeline for vacating government owned/leased space worldwide."

"The last newspaper publication (in all forms) will be September 30, 2020," writes Col. Paul Haverstick Jr., the memo's author.

Today Stars and Stripes is printed at sites around the world and delivered daily to troops — even those on the front lines, where the internet is spotty or inaccessible. As the "local paper" for the military, it provides intensive and critical coverage of issues that are important to members of the nation's armed services and "cuts through political and military brass BS talking points," Rep. Ruben Gallego, D-Ariz., a Marine veteran, told Military.com.
www.usatoday.com

The Pentagon has ordered Stars and Stripes to shut down for no good reason

Trump wants to pull funding from Stars and Stripes, a newspaper for American troops that began in the Civil War and has been serving our soldiers.

Oct 25, 2017
The abject stupidity of trying to do this during an election season, even divorced the current circumstances, is mind boggling.

Kotto

CEO of Traphouse Networks
Nov 3, 2017
Military facebook groups, Reddit, and other social media will have to pick up the slack and try to cover for SS. They already do in some way, so it shouldn't be too hard.

Aug 1, 2018
I assume AFN's active duty news hosts will be replaced by Fox News and OANN psychopaths soon?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty obvious their only interest is in destroying whatever they can with their last few months

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
The paper has been said to be getting the ax since February but this would be the killing blow

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
Come on.. that is horrible. The people fighting for our freedom should know exactly what is going on back home.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is such a bafflingly unforced error to make 2 months before an election that I wouldn't be surprised if someone told me it was intentional sabotage.

Which says a lot about the strategic instincts of the Trump administration, really.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
I'd agree with you, but like. Nothing sticks. There are no consequences. Trump has, correctly, surmised that no one is ever going to hold him responsible, so why restrain yourself?

This is not true at all. Polls have shown that more and more military personnel are supporting Biden over Trump. Trump continuing to shit on the troops is definitely not going to help him.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
is anyone here in the service or know people that are in active duty?

I mean, i get the optics with the story from yesterday, but does this matter? I'm genuinely curious because i have no frame of reference for this in 2020.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Literally right before a general election too, and the cost is relatively peanuts. It's not just bad, but really dumb. I guess that's just the theme for the last four years though.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I'd agree with you, but like. Nothing sticks. There are no consequences. Trump has, correctly, surmised that no one is ever going to hold him responsible, so why restrain yourself?

His favorbility rating with the troops has been dropping some time now and I believe the majority now view him in a negative light.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Having grown up in a military family, the Stars and Stripes was a surprisingly unbiased and nuanced lifeline to information within the DoD community, especially when we lived overseas.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Tightening the noose on dissent as we step further into an authoritarian regime.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Literally right before a general election too, and the cost is relatively peanuts. It's not just bad, but really dumb. I guess that's just the theme for the last four years though.

Chapter in a future history textbook: "2017-2021: The Dumb Years." ...Hopefully 2021 is indeed the end year.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Is he deliberately trying to not get elected? Cos that's my only logical conclusion for the utter shambles of a leader the fucknugget is.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
im-226961

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017

I mean, i get the optics with the story from yesterday, but does this matter? I'm genuinely curious because i have no frame of reference for this in 2020.
Sorta? I've been out since 2003, when I was in the Army I saw the paper a lot, even read it while waiting for shit since it used to be left out at places you'd wait much like a magazine at a barber shop is but I never knew anyone who wanted to read it. Kinda the same deal with the Armed Forces channel they do, saw it a bunch because places with a TV would have it on but I definitely didn't want to watch it. Frankly I found the whole idea weird of being on a US base and whenever being somewhere with TV or reading material it being military produced shit, was weird.

I can definitely see the value of services like that overseas, but, this is also 2020 and the places that have copies of the paper or the armed forces network are likely to have internet, Satellite and other shit. I was a kid in Germany in the 80s when my dad was in the Army so the Army's TV and paper were actually something I consumed a lot then but I imagine any family members now stationed in duty stations where you can bring your family over are just watching Hulu, or getting some American channels on Satellite reading CNN or Foxnews' website, it isn't the old world any more.

But it'd be a big deal in the sense they are long running institutions that people know of. I dunno how everyone else felt about them. I can't imagine the paper or their network being any more a waste than an esports team or band.

Oct 27, 2017
Tightening the noose on dissent as we step further into an authoritarian regime.

Simple, he is killing this to control the airwaves so that on November 3rd, he's is going to use Voice of America to declare that they have won reelection. Regardless of what happens that night. In lieu of that, anything after that speaks of a Biden victory will then be used to put out that there is a coup against the white house and since he is the president, he will galvanize the military with force. We will have to depend on the generals that will inevitably lose their job to stand down and not comply. To be Patriots. That's why the votes need to be so overwhelmingly in favor of Biden on election night. Vote!

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Sounds like someone doesn't want our troops knowing the kind of bullshit he's spewing about them back home.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Who would want to read a newspaper by and for "suckers" and "losers" anyway, am I right?

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington

Between this and the story from yesterday plus the alleged bounties... If I were in the military I'd hate his guts.

But I get the feeling that this isn't going to affect his base at all. Even people in the military or families of active duty/veterans. I just see them saying it's fake news.

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017
This has been in the works since at least February, when Trump recommended eliminating the federal part of the paper's budget (around $15M, which is about half its operating cost).

Oct 25, 2017
I could see Trump stepping in and saving it for better optics right now.

He'll act like this was the pentagon doing it and he had no knowledge.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
Simple, he is killing this to control the airwaves so that on November 3rd, he's is going to use Voice of America to declare that they have won reelection. Regardless of what happens that night. In lieu of that, anything after that speaks of a Biden victory will then be used to put out that there is a coup against the white house and since he is the president, he will galvanize the military with force. We will have to depend on the generals that will inevitably lose their job to stand down and not comply. To be Patriots. That's why the votes need to be so overwhelmingly in favor of Biden on election night. Vote!
Literally in any other timeline stuff like a military run news network in an era of freely available independent news would be the conspiracy theory.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I can see this happening. He knows he has better chance to look good in election night. As mail in votes continue to be counted, Biden's chances increase. Biden needs a big 4-5+ points win.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Wow, this is a shock for me. It's like finding out the New York Times will suddenly cease publication.

The thing about Stars and Stripes is that it didn't just cover general news, it focused a lot on military-related matters and items specific to the region you were in. It was independent and unbiased. You could actually be informed on things of relevance to you that you never would've heard through official lines of communication or the rumor mill.

Nowadays you could say that with the internet, it's not as important as it used to be, but losing that local, independent, English-language news source will hurt.

What'll be left? Facebook groups filled with rumors and shitposts, and useless official PA releases?

Deleted member 18179

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Sorry, but do you see the Armed Forces protesting? Or refusing to show up when the National Guard gets called in? Or refusing to continue imperial occupation in the middle east? His support has declined LESS THAN 10%. Who cares what people think? Their actions are what matters. Actions are consequences, not thought. And no action is forthcoming.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, but do you see the Armed Forces protesting? Or refusing to show up when the National Guard gets called in? Or refusing to continue imperial occupation in the middle east? His support has declined LESS THAN 10%. Who cares what people think? Their actions are what matters. Actions are consequences, not thought. And no action is forthcoming.
Voting is also an action. And it is the only action that is going to make a difference.
As for refusing to show up when the National Guard gets called in, it specifies active-duty troops. National Guard aren't active-duty troops.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's a print publication. I don't think it'd be much of a factor in a late evening November 3rd power grab.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so old I remember when these same Trump supporters questioned John Kerry's patriotism.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
This is a gimme for Biden. The ad writes itelfs "The president ordered Stars & Stripes to be shut down after reporting it called dying and wounded soldiers losers. A vote for me is a vote for re-opening this important institution, and a vote to support the wounded war herores".

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Having grown up in a military family, the Stars and Stripes was a surprisingly unbiased and nuanced lifeline to information within the DoD community, especially when we lived overseas.

This is a good sum up. I don't think it's that all that popular in the general military (in 2020), but it's circulated around very often overseas and is a great unbiased military news source.

So I don't think this would matter to Trump supporters, but keep in mind as other people posted Trump support in the military has been on the downturn anyway. Obviously there are still a lot of Trump supporters in the military, but there are a lot more varied and negative opinions about him than some non-military might think. A lot of this depends on where you work/what branch though.

The Climaxan

Oct 27, 2017
NC-USA
Lol. Backtracking like a motherfucker now I see.

If the Atlantic article doesn't exist, this 100% still happens. They must be endorsing Biden (if S&S even endorses candidates that is).