• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
The PC was supposed to die 10 years ago, but it's just experienced its first big growth in a decade. Market research firm Canalys reports that PC shipments reached 297 million units in 2020, up an impressive 11 percent from 2019. IDC puts the year at 302 million shipments, up 13.1 percent year over year. Either way, it's clear 2020 was a big year for PCs and the biggest growth we've seen since 2010.
More here:
www.theverge.com

The PC market just had its first big growth in 10 years

Home working and remote learning drove PC sales in 2020.

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well lot of people moved to work from home this year

They have stated work and online learning been the main contributor

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
May be worth noting for some here that this article pertains to the growth of the entire PC market, not just PC gaming, which has enjoyed steady growth over the last decade

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I find it interesting that a mainstream big box store like Best Buy has a ton of semi-respectable pre-builts and actual parts (x570 motherboards, etc.) in their stores now. It seems like a lot of it is due to the explosion of streaming and e-sports.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Strangely enough my console-focused brother moved to PC this year. Never thought I'd see that happen. Now he has a 3060ti and loves it.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
When tablets and smartphones were hitting it big many thought standalone computers would become a niche product, especially for home users.

How's the tablets market compared to PC market now?

I just cant stand using tablets , its so limited in terms of power and accessibility (like the number of USB ports, etc).

Its funny because 10 years ago I was interested in getting a iPad and then a few years later Surface Pro but after dealing with both in the IT field, I prefer Laptops and Desktops moreso than tablets nowadays lol.

Phone market I am not surprised, its been great and can only get better (though I cant see my phone replacing my desktop or laptop whether its for general use or gaming).

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
PCs and "gaming PCs" aren't interchangeable so I don't think this stat proves much beside that chromebooks are falling out of favor.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My fault.. after only having Mac computers for the last 20 years I finally built myself a top spec gaming PC in 2019 and I'm about to build my second PC from the leftovers of my recent upgrade.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
When tablets and smartphones were hitting it big many thought standalone computers would become a niche product, especially for home users.

I wonder how big that "many" people were. I've never encountered anyone who thought that. I could see home use going down a bit, but definitely not for businesses. But with laptops getting better all the time, I think many will choose one of those over a tablet or smartphone.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Even without growth, PCs are still a many times bigger market than consoles for reasons that should be obvious, so the whole PC will die mentality was always bizzare.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
I'm always surprised by how big the notebook market seems to be compared to the desktop/workstation market.

Are business still lending out laptops instead of using something like a Wyse (cloud-computing) box/terminal to connect a workstation?

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
No wonder Sony got rid of the 'Only on PlayStation' tag on their covers.

ViciousOfficialCow-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

Deleted member 9306

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well I built my new build last year, and my little sister's boyfriend is trying to build his new build soon too, so I guess we're helping PC out lol.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Who would have thought a year of working from home seeing a colossal surge in uptake would also lead to a surge in PC sales?

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

PC-tan

Feb 25, 2018
You could have been a part of this Sony but instead of continuing with VAIO (which they still own a very small percentage of) they choose to push their Xperia phone line (and how has that been going for them? Good phones sure but who exactly are they for?)

But yeah 10 years ago they were saying stuff like PC and laptops would be dead since everyone would be using smartphones and tablet and they are current that a lot of people use them but you can't really use a phone to replace all the things a tablet does (If you could, Apple would no longer be making iMacs and Macbooks because you can just do all of that stuff on an iphone and ipad). I remember being in highschool and reading articles talking about all that sort of stuff, I think ultrabooks started popping up not that longer after that.

Something I do find interesting are Chromebooks, I think that MS even made ads saying that Chromebooks were a waste of time and stuff. But yet they are still around, so they are pretty good for the price point that they are sold at.