• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Razer Game Store is dead, who should go next?

• Epic Store

Votes: 261 38.8%
  • Windows Store

Votes: 156 23.2%
  • Bethesda.Net

Votes: 180 26.8%
  • Origin

Votes: 25 3.7%
  • PSN

Votes: 50 7.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andres

Oct 25, 2017

I just finished playing through the first two Zero Escape games so I'm gonna hold off for a bit for the next sale to get Zero Time Dilemma but it's nice they're giving them price cuts.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
And I'm by and large okay with that.
Your analysis is overly simplistic. There's a beauty to Morrowind where you can actually follow descriptions given to you to find your way, (or not and just use a caravan, it didn't force you to engage with it).
And in most modern RPGs, the pointers and objectives just seem necessary, because the game is designed around them. There's literally a mod for Skyrim that just ads proper descriptions, so that you actually play it without quest markers. If you know the player has a magic arrow telling them where to go, then you never need to explain how they know a magic treasure can be found in a specific part of the country, in a specific cave, where they need to find a specific spot, to open a specific tomb, and open a specific grave, etc.
No, instead you need to design this entire thing so that people can figure it out without playing "Car GPS simulator - the game".

Mr. Tibbs

Oct 27, 2017
6 days until 3D Realms new Quake 1 engine-powered FPS is revealed! Press outlets, including IGN and Gamespot, recently went hands-on with it. 1C Entertainment, who are also publishing Voidpoint's Ion Maiden, are backing this as well. In addition to Steam, it'll hit Xbox One, PS4, and Switch, too. A little Discord teaser...

codename_mourningvale.gif

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Your analysis is overly simplistic. There's a beauty to Morrowind where you can actually follow descriptions given to you to find your way, (or not and just use a caravan, it didn't force you to engage with it).
And in most modern RPGs, the pointers and objectives just seem necessary, because the game is designed around them. There's literally a mod for Skyrim that just ads proper descriptions, so that you actually play it without quest markers.

So you desire a game design that asks more from the player, correct?

More deductive reasoning and less hand-holding? A path that the player needs to figure out vs. one that is clearly laid out for them?

These are legitimate desires. Perhaps a casualty to the immediacy of modern game design where much like microwave ovens or always-online culture, most are accustomed to results at the snap of a finger.

Do you see another viable path that doesn't default into the archaic?

I'm down with what you're saying. I just don't see how we get there outside of ultra-niche productions that adhere to more hardcore designs of the past. That typically translates to low-budget passion projects that feel untenable on a larger scale. Shrink your audience and you shrink your production budget in simple math.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
6 days until 3D Realms new Quake 1 engine-powered FPS is revealed! Press outlets, including IGN and Gamespot, recently went hands-on with it. 1C Entertainment, who are also publishing Voidpoint's Ion Maiden, are backing this as well. In addition to Steam, it'll hit Xbox One, PS4, and Switch, too. A little Discord teaser...

Honestly I kind of hope they do the same thing as all the other FPS throwbacks coming out recently and release it episode by episode. I really enjoy going back to each game every few months to do the next episode. Amid Evil has been especially great for that.

Iced_Eagle

Dec 26, 2017
For those who were fans of Spies vs Mercs back in the day, Intruder just launched on Steam after many, many, many years being available only from the dev's site, as in I bought it back in 2015. It's not exactly the same, but it scratches the itch and is a ton of fun. For those looking for a unique, team-focused, stealth FPS, check it out. I think it's made by 2 people as well.

Andres

Oct 25, 2017
Spike Chunsoft just did a stream with Zanki Zero info, chat was actually not a complete dumpster fire. People were supportive over the change but you still had your two or three people screaming about censorship. Anyways, they revealed a trailer that showed off the gameplay more in depth and I'm excited to play it.

sanhora

Oct 25, 2017
Spike Chunsoft just did a stream with Zanki Zero info, chat was actually not a complete dumpster fire. People were supportive over the change but you still had your two or three people screaming about censorship. Anyways, they revealed a trailer that showed off the gameplay more in depth and I'm excited to play it.
Speaking of which, I just saw a review of sorts of it over here.
I was already looking forward to it but not really expecting too much, and yet reading this actually got me pretty hyped.
Light spoilers ahead?
It's actually a horror/action/survival game with roguelike elements but it has enough text to be considered partly a VN too.

For a quick synopsis, 7 young adults and a kid wake up one day on a desolate island, the only apparent link to the outside world is a black and white cartoon that play intermittently to give them instructions to facilitate their survival.
Soon after, they find that a new island appeared overnight, deciding to explore it to find food and hints about their situation they realize that this island was part of the city several of them lived in, with the building in the center of the island being the workplace of one of them.

The actual gameplay is satisfying and mostly fun, especially in the first half of the game where it feels like you are always walking a tightrope, the second half of the game is much easier survival wise but I thought the horror ramped up in a good way, especially the dungeons in chapter 6 and 7 are well designed and really creepy.

The fights are mostly about strafing to avoid hits and attacking weak spots, it's nothing complex but compared to ZZS the team previous action game it's definitely a big improvement, you can gain special loots by destroying specific parts of an enemy which is pretty cool

First there is thing I should have mentioned earlier, Zanki Zero focuses on themes that I didn't think I'd see in a commercial game.
Suicide, murder, adultery, pedophilia, incest, extortion, sexual abuse, and more… it goes further than most eroge I read in pursuing the various traumas of the characters and is honestly one game that would really need a trigger warning.
Everything I cited above, and it's not exhaustive, is shown in a very explicit and non-glorified way.
One scene in particular shows a kid being repeatedly stabbed while blood fly all over, the scene itself isn't portrayed in a comical way like Dangan Ronpa, it's just extremely raw and sick.
Definitely not for everyone.

The final thing to note is that for all intent and purpose Zanki Zero's narrative is rather straightforward, definitely don't expect a new Dangan Ronpa and you should have no problem but if you do you could be disappointed. Well to say it in another way it's not a game you play to shit bricks at twists and stuff.

Zanki Zero definitely proves that Spike Chunsoft still has it even without Kodaka, a good surprise and one of the hit of 2018

Oct 30, 2017
I finished up my time with Mad Max recently. I can definitely say it is one of the most polished licensed games I have ever played. Didn't love everything but I really enjoyed the world and upgrading my character and car. I wasn't ready for that ending though :'(

HP_Wuvcraft

Oct 26, 2017
South of San Francisco
I'm a bit confused as to the pause/cancel policy of Humble Monthly.

If I cancel today or tomorrow, do I lose March's games or April's early unlocks? And would my keys be invalidated for March even though I've activated some?

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017

If I cancel today or tomorrow, do I lose March's games or April's early unlocks? And would my keys be invalidated for March even though I've activated some?

If you would cancel/pause tomorrow or today you should lose access to Aprils games. March games should be fine.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017

You keep any keys that you have received.
If you pause/cancel, any bonuses are immediately removed (discount on the store, access to the Trove games), and you will not receive the upcoming games.
If you decide to claim this month's games early and then pause/cancel, you will still receive the remaining games since you have paid for that month. I'm not sure whether you will retain access to the bonuses or not though.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Green Man Gaming currently selling Devil May Cry 5 steam key for 27% off for VIP members. I think you just need an account to become a VIP member. Not sure how long this lasts but I think it's a weekend deal.

Wait...what? I'm ready for this.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Green Man Gaming currently selling Devil May Cry 5 steam key for 27% off for VIP members. I think you just need an account to become a VIP member. Not sure how long this lasts but I think it's a weekend deal.

That will last until publishers/developers don't start pulling games from stores until 30% cut is lowered XD

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Humblebundle.com are doing similar offer to Uplay-
Buy Division 2, get one of 3 games.

EDIT: Voidu have the same promo as well
https://www.voidu.com/en/

Hmmm. Got in early enough on CDKeys that it's still worth it. If you could play the games on offer immediately, I'd have blown off my earlier pre-order already and gotten one with this deal. I don't know what they were thinking. On March 15 and for a good long time afterwards, I'll be playing TD2.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
So you desire a game design that asks more from the player, correct?

More deductive reasoning and less hand-holding? A path that the player needs to figure out vs. one that is clearly laid out for them?

These are legitimate desires. Perhaps a casualty to the immediacy of modern game design where much like microwave ovens or always-online culture, most are accustomed to results at the snap of a finger.

Do you see another viable path that doesn't default into the archaic?

I'm down with what you're saying. I just don't see how we get there outside of ultra-niche productions that adhere to more hardcore designs of the past. That typically translates to low-budget passion projects that feel untenable on a larger scale. Shrink your audience and you shrink your production budget in simple math.
I actually don't think the kind of thing I'm asking for runs counter to fast-travel and other niceties. It's just about realizing the strengths the old games had, and what was lost in the path to convenience, as you said. And it's baffling to me how someone like Todd Howard seems entirely unaware of this. Now, I get that he wasn't lead designer on Morrowind back in day, but he still helped make it happen, and it's hard for me to believe he doesn't understand how much was lost in quest design, and more over, the writing itself.

So to answer you question: No, I don't expect to see this outside of "indie" productions, but I don't feel it would take much from big AAA games to allow for this kind of gameplay: If you have better descriptions, than everyone profits as it makes the world more believable. A more simulationist approach to RPG design doesn't have to cost that much more money, I don't think so. Just allow people to turn off these objectives and detective modes or whatever, but make sure the game still - in principle - works without them. If you keep them in mind while designing quests, I think you can find creative solutions that allow people to get to where they need to be, or do what they need to do, by simply listening and reading. Of course the information shouldn't be spoon-fed to you. It should be natural: Say you need to find a bandits lair, instead of the magic objective marker, let me ask people in a local shady tavern, (and with a speech check) one of them might mark the rough location on my map (and maybe warn the bandits, so they'd set up an ambush)

UltraJay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Can you expand on this a little more?

I like the look of Northgard but hearing it's RTS is like Kryptonite to me.

I just can't deal with the pressure of traditional RTS timers.

How forgiving is Northgard?
Sorry for the delay, I was sleeping.

Everything about Northgard screams real-time Civilization.

There are victory conditions other than "kill everyone."

There are professions for your units that you can specialize in - you can choose and change these. They usually amount to stuff like "this is a carpenter," "this is a scout," and "this is a woodcutter." This is very Settlers-esque as opposed to a StarCraft where the different units all amount to different ways of killing things.

You have ways to increase "Notoriety" which is basically Civilisation's "Culture" and has a victory condition tied to it - "Fame."

It is why I am so excited to have it in the Humble Monthly as I've had my eye on it ever since it came out since it appeals to me as a person who likes games like Civ, Settlers, or Anno as opposed to StarCraft or Warcraft.

It is more like an Age of Empires meets Civilisation.

A good Giant Bomb Quick Look about the game.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England

I've been keeping an eye on this as well, very promising after how good the Ion Maiden preview was.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I am wondering if Windows XP compatibility messes up The Steam Overlay. There are a few old games that I need to set to either Windows XP or Windows 7 comp. for them to run. Games that I set comp. to Win 7 will get steam overlay on them, but NOT Windows XP games. Is there a workaround for this to force Steam overlay onto a game that is run with Windows XP compatibility?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
No problem! We'll continue to bring awesome games, both new and classics, to the PC.
What about supporting 1:1/raw mouse input in these ports? Resident Evil 2 still hasn't been fixed.

I am wondering if Windows XP compatibility messes up The Steam Overlay. There are a few old games that I need to set to either Windows XP or Windows 7 comp. for them to run. Games that I set comp. to Win 7 will get steam overlay on them, but NOT Windows XP games. Is there a workaround for this to force Steam overlay onto a game that is run with Windows XP compatibility?
Do you have any examples that people could try?

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
No problem! We'll continue to bring awesome games, both new and classics, to the PC.
Sorry but can you do something with regional prices for Ace Attorney Trilogy on Steam? It cost the same in RU/CIS region as in USA and EU, while we have significantly lower income than in ROW regions
unknown.png

Who is in charge of regional prices for Capcom games on Steam and why he keeps doing this? At least russians had their regional prices before, but now even they have matched to US price.

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I finally take a serious look on Left Alive today and think it looks awesome. Yes, animations are fairly janky and SFX seems dated, but the gameplay sounds very interesting. Definitely going to give it a try eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.