• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Razer Game Store is dead, who should go next?

• Epic Store

Votes: 261 38.8%
  • Windows Store

Votes: 156 23.2%
  • Bethesda.Net

Votes: 180 26.8%
  • Origin

Votes: 25 3.7%
  • PSN

Votes: 50 7.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Adding "psn" in a joke poll about what store should die next in a PC thread nice... but for reals guys its the console warriors that always attack us poor PC gamers. Would love to see some people's reaction if the same poll, with Steam of course, was made on a console thread.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
i don't know which role he played in the original but here he doesn't do much in the story but what he does is pointless and he's so obnoxious the rest of the time

fighting him is also tied to upgrading the one fighting style that's "new", and it's necessary cos that style is given to you in a worthless state that you need to upgrade to match the other 3, and i'm at the final chapter and it's still garbage so whelp, whatever!

edit: there's some funny moments with majima but generally i'm much more of a fan of his personality in 0, he seemed like such a deeper character that it's a shame to see reduced to this crap

i didn't, i played yakuza 0 in like june of last year

the bad idea was making the same game again but worse in every conceivable way...

In the original yakuza 1 he literally only appears twice or so lol

Playing yakuza games back to back is never a good idea. One must apace between playing them to nor get burnt out.

I actually played yakuza 1 to 5 all back to back and didn't burn out on it. But these games have a vastly bigger evolution between the different titles than 0 --> kiwami does

lazerfox

Oct 26, 2017
Switzerland
and i really can't stand majima in this game anymore, he's not funny or interesting in any way, he deserved a side quest (a series even) of his own, but his character shouldn't have this much of a spotlight cos... sheesh he's annoying...
That's disappointing to hear. I hoped that maybe the Majima parts are going to get better later because his first appearance felt kinda out of place.

I think going into Kiwami with tempered excpectation is good way to go about it. I played through the first chapter yesterday and was still enjoying it quite a lot.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when Portal 2 was bundled with a Steam code on PS3 and it had cross play with PC? That was fun.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Voted Windows Store in the poll. The fact that this (broken) store sells games as locked down encrypted apps is a huge threat to the open nature of pc gaming. The €70 price tag is also insane, and Microsoft doesn't allow devs to sell keys in 3rd party keystores.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Voted Windows Store in the poll. The fact that this (broken) store sells games as locked down encrypted apps is a huge threat to the open nature of pc gaming. The €70 price tag is also insane, and Microsoft doesn't allow devs to sell keys in 3rd party keystores.
Not to mention their encryption doesn't help. Crackdown 3 was cracked yesterday.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I definitely played it again on the ps3 then because trophies and achievements still seemed novel to me at the time lol. Glad it got people into pc gaming.
Helps that it is a solid adventure puzzle game. At the time i wasnt into first person view games but decided to give this game a try and was very pleased with it. I always wanted to do its 2 player modes but couldnt find a partner to play with :p someday i will rho~

lazerfox

Oct 26, 2017
Switzerland
Helps that it is a solid adventure puzzle game. At the time i wasnt into first person view games but decided to give this game a try and was very pleased with it. I always wanted to do its 2 player modes but couldnt find a partner to play with :p someday i will rho~
This reminds me that Portal 2 MP was one of the first games that had the Ping system which everyone seems to love in Apex Legends right now. I'm honestly surprised that it took so long until a studio implemented it in such a smart way. It's perfect for days when you don't feel like talking to strangers but still want some teamplay. Gotta be the source engine magic.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
The way Kiwami treats Majima, I have the impression that the director or whomever really, really hated Majima as a character, but he got told to include him more in the game, since he proved so popular, so he punishes the player base by literally shoving in your face all the time. It's cruel, but it really shows that you should be careful with what you wish for.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
I haven't started it yet myself but I'm seeing multiple people here and on Twitter saying that devotion is an early goty contender

Oh boy

Memphis-Ahn

Nov 7, 2017
I always thought videos was out of place on the Steam store.

They should just stick to games.
I'm of the complete opposite opinion, I never bought and have no interest in buying videos, but since the infrastructure is already there (and they have such a large userbase) I think they should take advantage of it. Branching out into audio/e-books would be good too.
It would bring some competition to Amazon's monopoly :^)

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
So, I watched a walkthrough of the original Yakuza PS2 and compared it to what I saw so far in Kiwami, and they indeed added some weird additional lines for Majima dialogues. Like, all cutscenes I've seen so far was identical, except that first scene with Majima - in the remake they've added the part where Majima starts to beat Kiryu with an umbrella for a stupid reason, it felt out of place and apparently, there was nothing like that in original. I'm starting to worry now they fucked up and those additional scenes will ruin his character and story pacing overall.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
I think the problem with Steam as a videoplattform was, that they didnt develop a "Kodi-like" interface for that.

It felt like one of those Steam features where they thought "Let's add it and work on it later", but then.... didnt.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Having put 30 hours into Anthem and appearing to have a pretty different view than the conventional wisdom, I thought I would put down my thoughts on why I like (and also don't like) the game.

For reference, I am playing the game on a GTX 1080 at 1440p and Ultra settings. In the 30 hours I've played so far, probably 28 have been spent either playing scripted missions or interacting with the characters (more on that in a moment). I've only done free-roam in the world for a short while for some materials and world event credits that are needed at one point in the story. I did a lot of side quest while working on the main story, but having finished it, I still have a bunch of side quests left and one new Stronghold (like Destiny's Strikes).

The big question is, of course, what happens once I run out of story quests. There is definitely a grindy set of endgame quests to do if you want. But if I spend 40 hours doing content I really enjoy, will I care? And I get if people want to play Anthem every day non-stop for the next few months, that could be a disappointment. Maybe this is biggest disconnect between me and the reviews, but that wasn't why I was coming to the game. So anyway...

The good:

Flying - once you get the hang of the controls, which doesn't take long, flying is great. Maneuvering is easy to do and I don't know another game that has done this so well. There is a heat limit feature that means you can't fly indefinitely, but you learn to skim lakes and streams, burst through waterfalls and dive to the ground to reduce heat. It works well, and I think it's there for a specific reason...

The World - the open world section is huge and beautiful and you should sometimes get on the ground and look around. There are ruins, caves, villages, and more and there are treasure chests, materials and lore collectibles to pick up. You can fly quite high as well as dive down into underwater areas.

The Javelins - there are 4 javelins, and they all have unique features. I started with the Ranger, which is fairly bland, but then I tried the Interceptor and Storm, which quickly won me over. The Interceptor is quick and agile, allowing you to dash around with chained dodges and make quick melee slashes. The Storm can float for extended periods in combat and send down devastating elemental attacks. I haven't unlocked the Colossus yet, but I've heard it's got it's own unique style I'm eager to try.

The characters and character interactions - note that this is not the overall story. Anthem takes place in Fort Tarsis, where a big cast of characters is trying to live their lives day to day. There is the socially awkward Sentinel (army officer essentially), the douchebag laundry guy, the goofy bartender, the mysterious bar owner, the shopkeeper who loves baby monsters, the mother who is looking for her dead daughter, the wife who wants to know why her husband is having trouble adjusting, and many more. You can optionally speak to these people in exchange for increasing faction points which will eventually get you rewards, but they are well worth talking to regardless. It's a mix of humorous, serious, sad, mysterious and otherwise engaging storytelling that is also written and acted incredibly well. Outside of the main villain, who is surprisingly shallow, all of the characters are nicely fleshed out and grow and change during the game. You also are usually looking directly at them when they talk, and there is some very subtle work done with hand, face and eye movements. Tying it all together is Sarah Elmeleh as the cocky female lancer, and she's amazing. I've actually heard her in some other things and was not impressed (her character in For Honor sounds really out of place), but she really nails this. I don't know about the male lancer, hopefully he's good too.

The graphics - the game is flat out beautiful and performs well. With tons of enemies on screen and elemental explosions raining down, the game runs 60 FPS on ultra without a hitch (unless there is lag, which there was last Sunday, and that made for a bad experience)

The ok:

The guns - the guns are...fine? There are 12 or so classes of guns, from assault rifles to machine pistols to shotguns to heavy machine guns to sniper rifles and everything in between. But they are just guns. They feel good to shoot and they usually have some stat bonus on them, but they leave something to be desired. Hopefully this will improve over time. In general I only have purple gear, so it will be interesting to see how things change as I get the orange or yellow gear and can try some of the harder difficulties.

The story - again, it's serviceable. The villain could be interesting if they spent some time developing him. It's a pretty generic messiah kind of story with some predictable twists and it ends pretty abruptly. However, the mystical sci-fi lore has promise, and we'll see. There are hints as to where it is going after you finish the game.

The bad:

Load times - no sugar coating this, it's not great. You can spend a lot of time between loads, but they are coming and they are annoying.

Warping to squad mates during story quests - this probably bothered me more than it bothered others. Basically, if you matchmake your story quests with randoms it will try to start everyone at the very beginning together, but in the interest of not making people wait, it will start a mission with 2 or 3 people and then drop in the rest. Which means you can get into a mission having to catch up to the others, which means you may have missed some story voiceover, and if you are too far behind you'll get warped ahead after a countdown, once again likely missing some story voiceover. The game does actually have a journal that summarizes every mission you've been on, which is fantastic, if you need a refresher.

So there it is. I'm not usually one to like "bad games", but people have been dumping on Anthem so hard I thought it might be interesting to explain why I have been enjoying it.
Wow, this is exactly what I feel about Anthem. It's not an all around great game by any means, but it's still not as bad as people make it out to be.

People tend to look at the negative stuff only, which is confirmation bias at its finest.

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017
Finished the mini campaigns in XCOM 2 Tactical Legacy pack. It's dope.
That ending though. :>

Can't wait for XCOM 3.

Me too. Ive played a lot of XCOM, many runs through the main game which is great but takes a long time and so the mini campaign was excellent to have another blast through without sinking 50 hours.

Last edited:

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I only bought AVGN Movie (still not watched) a while ago, so good riddance i guess.

I bought season 19 of South Park when Comedy Central accidentally made it available to purchase while preparing to release every episode on Steam. The error was quickly fixed, but CC made the eps private again and later abandoned the idea of releasing the show on Steam, so I still have no access to them.

I suppose I should request a refund... or see if I can't convince Valve to make the eps public again.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
I did as well.

EGS sucks hard, and so does paying for exclusives, but by virtue of not being the OS it simply doesn't have the same potential for damage to the essence of what PC gaming is.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
The way Kiwami treats Majima, I have the impression that the director or whomever really, really hated Majima as a character, but he got told to include him more in the game, since he proved so popular, so he punishes the player base by literally shoving in your face all the time. It's cruel, but it really shows that you should be careful with what you wish for.
That makes no sense since Kiwami is just a remake and it was the first Yakuza game. Or did they put in more Majima in Kiwami because of Yakuza 0?

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Voted EGS. I have no idea how bad Windows Store is cause I'm a peasant who still runs 7 and I avoided the bullet with Bethesda launcher thanks to not having any interest in 76 (all Howard's games tbh).

RIP Valve video service. I only bought a few episodes of Kabaneri and video quality was an ass, but it was a good idea if you were into anime and your region had minimum of legally available content.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I bought Hard West when it came out but the gameplay didn't seem intricate on an XCOM level, as far as I remember, but I only played the first two, or three missions tops, so I couldn't quite grasp all the praise the game got. Does it get more complex later on? Does it focus purely on gameplay or is there also a focus on the narrative?

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
My problem with movies on Steam was the fact that 95% of non-anime stuff was not available in my region =/
This why I am glad games don't have to deal with licensing crap like TV and movies. Outside of censorship laws, most games can be bought on PC easily and even if a game was banned there are ways to get around it without resorting to piracy.

Even consoles games used to have this artificial barrier where they would only really service NA and Europe and tell everyone else to go take a hike. One of the big reasons why I jumped to PC from consoles was I saw how Steam was willing to be really open and try to attract a more global audience instead of just the usual big regions. And this was before they even had regional pricing.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I bought Hard West when it came out but the gameplay didn't seem intricate on an XCOM level, as far as I remember, but I only played the first two, or three missions tops, so I couldn't quite grasp all the praise the game got. Does it get more complex later on? Does it focus purely on gameplay or is there also a focus on the narrative?
Far as narrative goes, it's a 'choose your own adventure' kind of thing. Your actions/choices can affect what items or characters could join you depending on the scenario you are playing.

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017

I liked the story side of the game. It was presented well. The combat isnt as slick as XCom but is still pretty good once you get used to it. Its not a long game if i remember rightly, maybe 10 hrs.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
So it would seem the reason my DS4s don't pair with my laptop is because I may had needed to update the Xbox gaming apps on my ned.
After I updated them, restarted, I went to pair and...it connected! MS pls....

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Far as narrative goes, it's a 'choose your own adventure' kind of thing. Your actions/choices can affect what items or characters could join you depending on the scenario you are playing.
I liked the story side of the game. It was presented well. The combat isnt as slick as XCom but is still pretty good once you get used to it. Its not a long game if i remember rightly, maybe 10 hrs.
Okay, thanks, guys. I'll give it a few more tries then and see how it unfolds for me after a couple of next missions.

Status
Not open for further replies.