• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Razer Game Store is dead, who should go next?

• Epic Store

Votes: 261 38.8%
  • Windows Store

Votes: 156 23.2%
  • Bethesda.Net

Votes: 180 26.8%
  • Origin

Votes: 25 3.7%
  • PSN

Votes: 50 7.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
You can now preload Metro Exodus on Steam.

Which by the way IS A WORTHLESS FEATURE according to the users this side of this message board. So glad Epic isn't wasting money on useless features as that.

sanhora

Oct 25, 2017
You can now preload Metro Exodus on Steam.

Which by the way IS A WORTHLESS FEATURE according to the users this side of this message board. So glad Epic isn't wasting money on useless features as that.
From my experience if you have a decent connection it's faster to not preload because decryption takes forever, at least on an HDD. I haven't bothered preloading anything in years so I'm not sure how much an SSD improves things.
With that said, I'm happy that the feature still exists for those with extremely slow connections who do benefit from it.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
I am really happy I found this thread, pcgaming subreddit is a pretty toxic place (even compared to typical reddit toxicity) you are all my kinda peeps

Edit:
From my experience if you have a decent connection it's faster to not preload because decryption takes forever, at least on an HDD. I haven't bothered preloading anything in years so I'm not sure how much an SSD improves things.
Totally agree, I preloaded Ace Combat 7 and the download on my fibre took like ~20 mins, decryption took 40+ mins. NVME SSD + 2700x

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't preloaded on Steam in years. Decryption always takes longer time than downloading it once the game is released.

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
isn't preload always broken cos then it has to unpack and it takes as long as downloading the whole thing all over?

or is that no longer the case

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
I'm lucky enough to have a connection where it is faster to just download the game. Still, it would be nice if Valve could somehow speed up the decryption process for people with slower internet.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
1, lol. and by this I mean 5.

I might be ignoring 100, though. At one point Steam just stopped showing curators with a message something like, "clearly you don't like this stuff so we give up" basically.
Oh, I see. :p

It happens to me too occasionally but it usually works after 3 or 4 attempts! If not, I'd say Valve is doing something behind the scenes, which could only mean one thing...

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
isn't preload always broken cos then it has to unpack and it takes as long as downloading the whole thing all over?

or is that no longer the case

That largely depends on your internet speed. If you've a decent PC with an SSD and a connection of at least 250Mbps or so, then, yeah, wait for unlock o'clock. In my case, I have a 100Mbps connection and can generally decrypt at a rate of about 2GB per minute, so pre-loading is still helpful.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Preloading is a great feature for folks with shit download speed, like me. I certainly appreciate it existing.
That said, it would be easy to have a better system than Steam (though prone for datamining I guess), so Epic could have scored some easy brownie points there.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Decrypting Resident Evil 2 took less than 5 minutes what are you people doing lol

Is it just a hardware thing, internet speed or what for how it works?

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Preloading is a great feature for folks with shit download speed, like me. I certainly appreciate it existing.
That said, it would be easy to have a better system than Steam (though prone for datamining I guess), so Epic could have scored some easy brownie points there.

Valve really needs to get with the times. Publishers having an alternative pre-load option that delivers game data as-is but withholds the executable/s associated with the app's launch configuration until unlock o'clock, and the ability to configure a rolling unlock schedule that Steam's backend processes automatically, would significantly improve the user experience.

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018
So Annapurna Interactive is still releasing games on Steam. Interesting.

Don't think I'll replay Flower though, especially without motion controls (Could a DS4 work? Don't have Steam controller.) but really liked it back in the day.

I am really happy I found this thread, pcgaming subreddit is a pretty toxic place (even compared to typical reddit toxicity) you are all my kinda peeps

On which side of the anime-issue do you stand?

Note: Every answer except 'disgust' will result in a severe clobbering.

Last edited:

TioChuck

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Preload always has been a way to people with not so good internet connection could still play the game launch day, if you have decent connection you realy don't need it, but is nice to know the feature is there in case something happens, I normaly preload the game and if everything is ok with my internet I just delete the preload and download the game once the game has launched, but I don't have a data cap.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Valve really needs to get with the times. Publishers having an alternative pre-load option that delivers game data as-is but withholds the executable/s associated with the app's launch configuration until unlock o'clock, and the ability to configure a rolling unlock schedule that Steam's backend processes automatically, would significantly improve the user experience.
Maybe we should all write Gabe an email.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
On which side of the anime-issue do you stand?

Note: Every answer except 'disgust' will result in a severe clobbering.

1278295-anime_is_for_jerks___giant_bomb_1266817993606.jpg

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Was this even announced for PC before?

Given the announcements they'd made, I'd thought all of Annapurna's games were going to be timed exclusives to the Epic Store for the time being, but apparently not?

Nope, surprise release. I'd imagine Epic just didn't wanted to shell out dollars for it, since it not anywhere as popular as Journey.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for nothing Epic.
Them being the ones to bring Journey to PC would have been an actual good thing, but alas, it was just cash to keep it off Steam.

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
No shit they are higher on Uplay. Who would actually buy it on the Epic store? Though, given the pre order free game bonus, it seems that they still aren't matching the sales they lost on Steam.

Also, Ubi is kind of annoying. They pull Division 2 and say they want to drive people to Uplay, but Trials and Far Cry are still releasing on Steam. As a consumer, having to wonder where to buy a game, sucks.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I think preloading being bad is a Steam thing in particular. It seems like they could fix it since it's not an issue on consoles, for example.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
No shit they are higher on Uplay. Who would actually buy it on the Epic store? Though, given the pre order free game bonus, it seems that they still aren't matching the sales they lost on Steam.

Duh, it's blatantly obvious this was all to get Steam users onto Uplay, taking the deal from Epic was just the ploy and extra free money.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I think preloading being bad is a Steam thing in particular. It seems like they could fix it since it's not an issue on consoles, for example.
All they'd need to do is only encrypt a small part of the game, say the exectuable and maybe 10% of the game at random. That would be good enough to still effectively lock people from playing it early and already speed up the decryption process by factor of 10.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
No. It's Xbox only unfortunately. Only games listed as Play Anywhere will play on your PC. There is only about 10 or so right now.

Edit: Actually, there are more than 10 it seems. I got mixed up with the number of games on gamepass. Still, it has to be a Play Anywhere title to play on PC. But, not all Play Anywhere games are on gamepass. Confused? Me too.

Ha thanks, I guess I'll have to wait a bit :)

Deleted member 1444

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Duh, it's blatantly obvious this was all to get Steam users onto Uplay, taking the deal from Epic was just the ploy and extra free money.

They want to convert as many as they can get, but I'm still fully on the train that Ubisoft games will appear on Steam again next year with the Division 2 1 year after release.

Deleted member 2533

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With that said, I'm happy that the feature still exists for those with extremely slow connections who do benefit from it.

That's exactly it, bandwidth on the connection vs. bandwidth on the storage.

The last time I preloaded something was Yakuza 0, and it took a couple hours DLing at 3.5 megs/sec, but decrypting was about 15 min.

It's nice to have the option.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Why can't they do the same on PC? Is this like a hacking thing?

They probably won't do the same on PC, cuz yeah, somebody would break that near instantly.

I'm not an expert and won't claim to be one, but I think if people can break denuvo by spoofing the phone home, they could break any such similar phone home or online activation/requirement just as easy.

As others have pointed out, it's really something Valve should be looking into rather than individual publishers. Some ideas posted already would probably work out quite a bit better than what we have currently. Such as leaving out the .exe, randomly encrypting only 10% of the files, leaving out other small files, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.