• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Heazy

IT Tech
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK
Does anyone have any recommendations for wireless adapters for controllers it seems that xbox one is seemingly sold out everywhere. Will take recs over picking up a random third party.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Zotac a shitty brand?

It's ok, but we all make fun of it. I have personally never used a Zotac product. A Zotac 3080 will perform just as well as an EVGA 3080 (within a certain range because no two cards are the same, even among the same brand). Biggest differences would be the cooling solution used and how good/bad the warranty would be in your country.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's ok, but we all make fun of it. I have personally never used a Zotac product. A Zotac 3080 will perform just as well as an EVGA 3080 (within a certain range because no two cards are the same, even among the same brand). Biggest differences would be the cooling solution used and how good/bad the warranty would be in your country.
I understand, just worried about the build quality on this lol.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Zotac a shitty brand?
Nope. My Zotac 1080 Mini has been fine and my Zotac 3070 I just got has been fine too. They're pretty much one of two options if you want a smaller iTX card.

They tend to price gouge and make shitty design decisions, though. Their cards already tend to be the more expensive ones, and when the shortages first started, they were the first ones to start jacking up prices. And the mini 3070 they make has weird ass recessed power connectors,.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, got a 3080 ti for 899. Not much more than I can find a 3080 12 gb for.

My 1080ti can finally rest, thanks for being the GOAT. I'm starting to feel the age though and with this Spiderman coming out in 2 weeks, it feels like a good time to do it.

Last edited:

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Any thoughts on Fractal Design's Meshify, Torrent, and Pop Air respectively?

Ideally I'd love the Pop Air Mini, but they don't have a version of that with the solid side panel.

In regards to the Meshify, I'm having a hell of a time parsing out the differences between the Meshify C, Meshify 2 Compact, Meshify S2, and Meshify 2.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
In regards to the Meshify, I'm having a hell of a time parsing out the differences between the Meshify C, Meshify 2 Compact, Meshify S2, and Meshify 2.

Meshify C is the "compact" version of the original meshify, which has slightly more compact dimensions. It is also the only version of the case that has a m-atx version, the "Meshify C Mini". This is the case I'm using since m-atx is the best form factor, but is super under served currently.

Meshify 2 is the more modern release with some new features like front panel usbc. It comes in various forms including a "compact" and "xl", which iirc are smaller and larger cases (yet no dedicated m-atx case). The S2 is a larger more feature filled version of the older original Meshify that predates the "2" series. It's confusing I know.

What size case and features are important to you?

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021
I noticed this by now sans one MSI board I found, I'll pass this onto him aswell :P For me personally I stopped bothering with onboard 5.1 since... 2008 or so.
Analog surround is old. There isn't much of a market for surround pc speakers anymore. And since HDMI audio out has long been a thing on PC---you can run your audio through a receiver and use potentially better speakers and amplification, anyway.

Oct 29, 2017

Ideally I'd love the Pop Air Mini, but they don't have a version of that with the solid side panel.

there is a MATX case with solid panel thay goes by SAMA IM01 in the USA, but by a different brand on other territories (as the video below suggest), this may be of interest to you if you ae looking for simple looking smallish MATX box (intake would be from the sides rather than front however). Seems pretty practical and well designed even if it is from a no-name brand.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjXmX1phh9U

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Meshify C is the "compact" version of the original meshify, which has slightly more compact dimensions. It is also the only version of the case that has a m-atx version, the "Meshify C Mini". This is the case I'm using since m-atx is the best form factor, but is super under served currently.

Meshify 2 is the more modern release with some new features like front panel usbc. It comes in various forms including a "compact" and "xl", which iirc are smaller and larger cases (yet no dedicated m-atx case). The S2 is a larger more feature filled version of the older original Meshify that predates the "2" series. It's confusing I know.

What size case and features are important to you?

I've been helping my brother-in-law part out a new computer over the last few weeks to replace his Alienware circa 2015 and I think I finally came across a decent build, but I'm always stuck on the case.

The build is using a MicroATX board, so ideally I'd like a MicroATX Mini Case, as I can't see any reason to have a bunch of empty space in there.

I'm not a fan of clear/glass side panels and I don't plan on using any RGB, so a solid side panel for me please.

I initially picked out Cooler Master's N200 as I used it for a recent Office PC build and the price is right at around $80, but honestly it looks a bit old school, and I was hoping to set him up with something a little bit classier looking without going too expensive.

I've used a few Fractal Design cases in the past and they've always been quality and I know their recent airflow designs have been well received so I was looking over what they offered. As mentioned, the Torrent Mini is ideal, but it's ITX only, and between the similarly sized Meshify Compact and Pop Air, the Pop Air is cheaper and comes with three fans instead of two, so it appears to be the current winner.

there is a MATX case with solid panel thay goes by SAMA IM01 in the USA, but by a different brand on other territories (as the video below suggest), this may be of interest to you if you ae looking for simple looking smallish MATX box (intake would be from the sides rather than front however). Seems pretty practical and well designed even if it is from a no-name brand.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjXmX1phh9U

I've seen that case mentioned a few places but the relative lack of coverage has me concerned with ending up with a pseudo-lemon. Fitting a mATX board and ATX PSU along with a tower cooler and a decently sized GPU seems like it would be an airflow and cable management nightmare.

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021
I've been helping my brother-in-law part out a new computer over the last few weeks to replace his Alienware circa 2015 and I think I finally came across a decent build, but I'm always stuck on the case.

The build is using a MicroATX board, so ideally I'd like a MicroATX Mini Case, as I can't see any reason to have a bunch of empty space in there.

I'm not a fan of clear/glass side panels and I don't plan on using any RGB, so a solid side panel for me please.

I initially picked out Cooler Master's N200 as I used it for a recent Office PC build and the price is right at around $80, but honestly it looks a bit old school, and I was hoping to set him up with something a little bit classier looking without going too expensive.

I've used a few Fractal Design cases in the past and they've always been quality and I know their recent airflow designs have been well received so I was looking over what they offered. As mentioned, the Torrent Mini is ideal, but it's ITX only, and between the similarly sized Meshify Compact and Pop Air, the Pop Air is cheaper and comes with three fans instead of two, so it appears to be the current winner.

I've seen that case mentioned a few places but the relative lack of coverage has me concerned with ending up with a pseudo-lemon. Fitting a mATX board and ATX PSU along with a tower cooler and a decently sized GPU seems like it would be an airflow and cable management nightmare.
If you don't already have an ATX PSU-----then just get an SFX. There are no downsides, other than a bit higher cost.

If you already have an ATX PSU, then you should go for a dual fan card or something similar to AMD's triple cards, which are relatively compact. Here is a midnight black 6800xt.

SAMA IM01 follows the design queues of the NR200 so closely that, it performs very similarly. Which is to say, cooling is good, if not great. Depending upon a couple of things.

As I mentioned before, it is a little less solid/rigid, than the NR200. Its not terrible. But I haven't seen anyone mention that. And quite a few people on reddit have built with this case.
Other negative is that you can't put two 120mm fans centered on the side panel mount, unless you use an ITX motherboard (allowing the SFX PSU to mount on the same side as the mobo). Which is annoying, aesthetically, for RGB. They could have given a secondary front mounting position for the SFX PSU, which biased it toward the motherboard side, allowing two 120mm fans on the side mount.

And personally----I do not like the tool free panels which snap into place. Too often, they are a real pain to remove. And actually, the NR200 I used to own.....I had it up on a table. I tried to remove a side panel. It SUDDENLY popped free, and the side panel popped out of my hand and it flew off the table and onto the floor and got bent up pretty badly. My Sliger S610 has the same style of panels which snap into place. I adore the S610. But, It is still a major pain to remove the panels. I am VERY careful about it now. I basically only open the case on my bed, now.

imkl3qk24zo81.jpg

This builder reported good temps. But...

IMO, this person should have rotated the CPU cooler to point upwards. Then put two 120 fans up top (1 of them may need to be a slim, the fit with the ATX PSU mounting bracket). And then you could get rid of the bottom fans. As the suction from the CPU cooler and the top fans, would passively pull in plenty of air to keep the GPU fed with cool air.

Last edited:

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
Sales start for AMD 7000-series CPUs reportedly in six weeks. Reveal + pricing at the end of this month (Monday 29:th). Leaks suggests they'll go lower in the SKU stack (e.g 7600) this time around, which makes sense to me given the competition.

wccftech.com

AMD Ryzen 7000 "Raphael" Desktop CPUs & X670 Motherboards Launch on 15th September, Announcement on 29th August

AMD will be announcing its Ryzen 7000 "Raphael" CPUs with Zen 4 cores & X670 motherboards on 29th August followed by a 15th September launch

TrAcEr_x90

Oct 27, 2017
I have a Taichi Ultimate motherboard with a 2900x. Been patiently waiting for years to make an upgrade. What is the highest I can go with AMD series that's still compatible?

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
I have a Taichi Ultimate motherboard with a 2900x. Been patiently waiting for years to make an upgrade. What is the highest I can go with AMD series that's still compatible?

Find the motherboard compat page. I can't find a "Taichi Ultimate" on TR4/sTRX4, and isn't 2920X the lowest tier? I feel like you've gotten some of the basic information wrong here.

If you're on TR4/X399 the outlook is quite poor.

www.asrock.com

ASRock X399 Taichi

ASRock Super Alloy; Supports AMD TR4 Socket Ryzen Threadripper Series CPUs; IR Digital PWM, 11 Power Phase & Dr. MOS; Supports Quad Channel DDR4 3600+(OC) & ECC UDIMM Memory; 4 PCIe 3.0 x16, 1 PCIe 2.0 x1; NVIDIA 4-Way SLI™, AMD 4-Way CrossFireX™; 7.1 CH HD Audio (Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec)...

If you meant you have a 2000-series on AM4 then the outlook is much better.

ASRock > X470 Taichi Ultimate

Supports AMD AM4 Socket Ryzen™ 2000, 3000, 4000 G-Series, 5000 and 5000 G-Series Desktop Processors; Supports DDR4 3466+ (OC); 2 PCIe 3.0 x16, 1 PCIe 2.0 x16, 2 PCIe 2.0 x1; NVIDIA Quad SLI™, AMD Quad CrossFireX™; 7.1 CH HD Audio (Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec), Supports Purity Sound™ 4 & DTS...

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Find the motherboard compat page. I can't find a "Taichi Ultimate" on TR4/sTRX4, and isn't 2920X the lowest tier?

www.asrock.com

ASRock X399 Taichi

ASRock Super Alloy; Supports AMD TR4 Socket Ryzen Threadripper Series CPUs; IR Digital PWM, 11 Power Phase & Dr. MOS; Supports Quad Channel DDR4 3600+(OC) & ECC UDIMM Memory; 4 PCIe 3.0 x16, 1 PCIe 2.0 x1; NVIDIA 4-Way SLI™, AMD 4-Way CrossFireX™; 7.1 CH HD Audio (Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec)...
that's a Threadripper motherboard, I'm guessing TrAcEr_x90's is either a x370 or x470

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Analog surround is old. There isn't much of a market for surround pc speakers anymore. And since HDMI audio out has long been a thing on PC---you can run your audio through a receiver and use potentially better speakers and amplification, anyway.

That makes sense. Honestly I mysel still use Analog 5.1 because it's a desk setup and I don't really want to hook up a receiver or similar but yeah it's understandable this technology fades away.

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Zotac a shitty brand?

I mained a Zotac 3080 and it was a totally fine card. Did get bricked by the New World thing but got an RMA in 6 weeks. I still strongly prefer EVGA due to its superior RGB, international warranty, and resale warranty though.

It's quite popular though as prices are very competitive for the SEA/China brands: ZOTAC, PALIT, GALAX, etc. There are no dumpster fire brands for RTX 3080 though, just ones that cool slightly better or worse, have better or worse warranties, or just want to make the world's largest video card (looking at you, Gigabyte).

Leaks suggests they'll go lower in the SKU stack (e.g 7600) this time around, which makes sense to me given the competition.

Ryzen 5000 launched with a 5600X though, I think? It was 5950X/5900X/5800X/5600X. The only real difference here is that maybe the 7800X isn't a thing this time and it goes back to the 3600/3700 cadence. Or did you mean something else?

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow Fractal going all in on the mATX (and ITX with the nano versions too) cases market with the Define 7 Mini and Meshify 2 Mini lol. I'm happy! I'm watching the reviews right now xD

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LEunPJqFlU

More choices! Also, surely Torrent Mini next? :x

Oh fuck yeah, I really didn't think they were going to do matx anymore. Good to see them do one for the meshify 2. Even though I just built 3 computers using the older meshify c mini....

I can relate. That is also the reason I prefer matx. Not a ton of wasted space and enough room to fit everything I want without having to really struggle to fit. I also dislike side panel windows and only have one because of the lack of options for the case. Whatever, it faces a wall and I have all the rgb stuff disabled. The Meshify C mini is still a really good case and would have fully recommended it if not for just learning the Meshify 2 mini is coming. Course I'd wait to see more reviews and details on it before I'd personally recommend it.

I'm not a fan of the torrent case even if it had a matx version because of the top mounted psu limiting cooling options. If you plan on never needing a rad/are only ever going to air cool they are amazing cases though.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Oh fuck yeah, I really didn't think they were going to do matx anymore. Good to see them do one for the meshify 2. Even though I just built 3 computers using the older meshify c mini....

I can relate. That is also the reason I prefer matx. Not a ton of wasted space and enough room to fit everything I want without having to really struggle to fit. I also dislike side panel windows and only have one because of the lack of options for the case. Whatever, it faces a wall and I have all the rgb stuff disabled. The Meshify C mini is still a really good case and would have fully recommended it if not for just learning the Meshify 2 mini is coming. Course I'd wait to see more reviews and details on it before I'd personally recommend it.

I'm not a fan of the torrent case even if it had a matx version because of the top mounted psu limiting cooling options. If you plan on never needing a rad/are only ever going to air cool they are amazing cases though.
lol yea. I like the torrent because of the 180mm fans. Anyway good thing, more options for my eventual next pc

Just right on time for what you want haha!
www.fractal-design.com

Define 7 Mini

The Define 7 Mini offers the same stylish appeal and many of the life-improving features of its larger siblings, in a streamlined form factor.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
lol yea. I like the torrent because of the 180mm fans. Anyway good thing, more options for my eventual next pc

Just right on time for what you want haha!
www.fractal-design.com

Define 7 Mini

The Define 7 Mini offers the same stylish appeal and many of the life-improving features of its larger siblings, in a streamlined form factor.

The lack of a mesh front seems like it would be a cooling/airflow nightmare, no?

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah airflow doesn't look great on the Define 7 mini. It doesn't have the door feature of the Define 7 proper, which lets you open the front panel for more airflow. I imagine a complex mechanism that is cut to make these cheaper models.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I think I'm probably gonna end up recommending the Pop Air. A bit larger than I'd like, but it includes three fans (two front, one rear) so I don't feel the need to toss in additional fans from the get-go unless for some reason temperatures end up being a real issue, and the mesh front looks like it'll be nice for breathability.

Oh and the price is right. $80 pre-tax and shipping.

Thanks for everyone's words of wisdom.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
The lack of a mesh front seems like it would be a cooling/airflow nightmare, no?

It's not the greatest, but I'm sure it would be fine with 3 p12 fans on the front. Checking to see if you can still mount 3 120s on the front of that and the meshify 2 mini, since I know you could with the meshify c mini. Yeah just checked and can still do that with both the cases. Kind wish they widened the case just a little so you could do a 280 rad on the top, but can't have everything.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
It's not the greatest, but I'm sure it would be fine with 3 p12 fans on the front. Checking to see if you can still mount 3 120s on the front of that and the meshify 2 mini, since I know you could with the meshify c mini. Yeah just checked and can still do that with both the cases. Kind wish they widened the case just a little so you could do a 280 rad on the top, but can't have everything.

Does Fractal Design have a MSRP yet? As is it appears that the Pop Air comes with more fans included for $80. Presuming the Define 7 Mini comes in at that price base, I'm looking at it being more expensive purely based on the fact of having to tack on the price of an extra fan or three.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Does Fractal Design have a MSRP yet? As is it appears that the Pop Air comes with more fans included for $80. Presuming the Define 7 Mini comes in at that price base, I'm looking at it being more expensive purely based on the fact of having to tack on the price of an extra fan or three.

No listings anywhere and just announced but looks like $110 for the matx new versions of the Meshify and Define series respectively. Sorry if I'm less than helpfull, I normally don't consider fans as part of the price since I just get the 5 packs of p12s for $30 as add on costs to most of my builds anyway.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
so I had a random power flicker yesterday, and now the hdmi outputs on my 3070 do not work; displayport is fine. stranger still, if I uninstall the driver, it works. the second I reinstall the driver, it stops again.
im gonna see if flipping the hardware bios switch to the nonOC mode resets it or something but I have no idea what else to try after that. given the price I paid for the card, I have no problem feigning ignorance that it "randomly stopped working" if I need to RMA it; I'd just prefer not to deal with the hassle if possible

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
so I had a random power flicker yesterday, and now the hdmi outputs on my 3070 do not work; displayport is fine. stranger still, if I uninstall the driver, it works. the second I reinstall the driver, it stops again.
im gonna see if flipping the hardware bios switch to the nonOC mode resets it or something but I have no idea what else to try after that. given the price I paid for the card, I have no problem feigning ignorance that it "randomly stopped working" if I need to RMA it; I'd just prefer not to deal with the hassle if possible
Try unplugging the hdmi cord from both the tv and pc and unplug the tv and pc from the wall for a few minutes. Sounds like a handshake issue rather than a hardware problem.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Try unplugging the hdmi cord from both the tv and pc and unplug the tv and pc from the wall for a few minutes. Sounds like a handshake issue rather than a hardware problem.
i've tried two different tvs, different wall outlets for power, and different hdmi cables already.
another thing i'm realizing I haven't tried yet is DDU; i'll hook my keyboard up after work and run that as well.

TrAcEr_x90

Oct 27, 2017
that's a Threadripper motherboard, I'm guessing TrAcEr_x90's is either a x370 or x470
Its x470. I originally bought it because I heard upgrading it at some point would allow next gen CPU's. I've just waited sooooo long for prices to come down that I think we are on like 3 new series. I just thought maybe someone would know how far I could go into series for the upgraded cpus.

Oct 29, 2017
Its x470. I originally bought it because I heard upgrading it at some point would allow next gen CPU's. I've just waited sooooo long for prices to come down that I think we are on like 3 new series. I just thought maybe someone would know how far I could go into series for the upgraded cpus.
According to their website, with the a recent BIOS ( P4.70) this mobo is compatible with 5950X, 5900X, 5800X, and 5600X.

edit: both the newer 5700 and 5800X3D are also listed as validated for BIOS L4.88.

5800X3D is the best CPU for gaming you can get.
5950X with 16 cores is the best one for productivity, like video editing.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
i've tried two different tvs, different wall outlets for power, and different hdmi cables already.
another thing i'm realizing I haven't tried yet is DDU; i'll hook my keyboard up after work and run that as well.

I'd also try booting from some kind of live Linux CD and see if they work with that. It wouldn't surprise me if this was some kind of software glitch with the driver and Windows. Even if DDU doesn't fix it, if you're still using the same Windows install I'd try a live CD/USB boot disk of some type.

firen

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I recently got most of my parts for my new PC except for the GPU and I'm blown away how big of difference upgrading from i7-4790 to i5-12900K made. I guess many of the games were bottenecked by the CPU. For example, I can play Doom 2016 on 1440p Ultra @ ~60 fps. While CS GO was ~70-100 fps on my old build, it feels even smoother now. Granted I haven't tried any true "modern" games like Cyberpunk or Forza or the new Call of Dutys but I'm really shocked how well the GTX 980 is holding up and the difference the RAM and CPU made. This may seem obvious to most of you but I haven't built a PC in like 7 years😅

My Asus Tuf 3080 comes in tomorrow but now I'm considering to return it lol.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I recently got most of my parts for my new PC except for the GPU and I'm blown away how big of difference upgrading from i7-4790 to i5-12900K made. I guess many of the games were bottenecked by the CPU. For example, I can play Doom 2016 on 1440p Ultra @ ~60 fps. While CS GO was ~70-100 fps on my old build, it feels even smoother now. Granted I haven't tried any true "modern" games like Cyberpunk or Forza or the new Call of Dutys but I'm really shocked how well the GTX 980 is holding up and the difference the RAM and CPU made. This may seem obvious to most of you but I haven't built a PC in like 7 years😅

My Asus Tuf 3080 comes in tomorrow but now I'm considering to return it lol.

Absolutely not.

If you think you've experienced such a massive upgrade with a new CPU, you're in a world of shock going from a 980 to a 3080.