• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
what gpu would be a good upgrade over a gtx 1070 for someone who doesn't need 4k 120fps. i'm fine with 2k 60fps for most games and somewhat future proof for 4-5 years.

oh and maybe some light VR.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
1440p60fps? 4-5 years will be impossible to tell so don't buy products for "futureproofing", it's a flawed concept that often doesn't work. Right now get a 3060Ti or 6600/6650 XT, or wait for the next generation of higher end cards. Assuming you have a good baseline CPU.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
1440p60fps? 4-5 years will be impossible to tell so don't buy products for "futureproofing", it's a flawed concept that often doesn't work. Right now get a 3060Ti or 6600/6650 XT, or wait for the next generation of higher end cards. Assuming you have a good baseline CPU.
i would be buying a new cpu with the card.
is a 3060ti a big upgrade over a gtx 1070?
if not i'd rather wait another year or two.

CoachKevin

Oct 25, 2017
Well, just ordered the 12GB EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra from Amazon Warehouse for $739!!

They have about 7 listed in "Good" condition with no description. In my past experience with Amazon Warehouse, most often this means Brand New and they have a bunch of overstock they want to get rid of. Worst case I can always return it if it is used.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Damn you Linus. Just watched his ugly Noctua build and it got me looking up chromax fans again. When I built my PC my U12A didn't have a chromax option so I went vanilla (well cappucino). Now the separate NF12x25 is available in chromax black so I'm tempted to get a couple along with the white heatsink cover to pretty much finish off my black and white build.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Damn you Linus. Just watched his ugly Noctua build and it got me looking up chromax fans again. When I built my PC my U12A didn't have a chromax option so I went vanilla (well cappucino). Now the separate NF12x25 is available in chromax black so I'm tempted to get a couple along with the white heatsink cover to pretty much finish off my black and white build.

You only live once, might as well spend a bunch of money on aesthetically pleasing computer fans that make no performance difference but look good.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
You only live once, might as well spend a bunch of money on aesthetically pleasing computer fans that make no performance difference but look good.

and that I won't get the benefit of as I barely use it for gaming and its mainly my daughter that uses it for Apex with her friends..

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
Yes a custom loop would help and if you're using open air case it'll be easier to convert because you don't have the space constraints of a traditional case. Which case are you using? I'm on a Thermaltake P5 for my loop.

If you're going to do it, I'd do both GPU and CPU (as opposed to just GPU). Building one is quite easy with a basic soft tube setup. If you can read instructions and use a screwdriver/hex wrench, you'll be fine. Happy to answer any questions via PM and help you get a sense for what you'd need and how it would be configured on the case.
i am currently using the P3.

Is the idea that a water based cooling system will bring the heat down faster and the air will be cooler once it hits the rad/fans?

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
  • Ryzen 7000 (which requires a new socket and also requires DDR5) is launching by November, most likely.
  • Intel 13000 may launch before christmas, although Intel has a habit of delaying into the next year.
Usually when a new platform is announced, prices on the previous stuff comes down a bit. But for example you could expect deals around Black Friday, if you can wait that long.
I'm almost thinking I want to go with Intel instead of AMD if I do upgrade.. would be nice to have a stable USB connection to all my devices lol

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017

Is the idea that a water based cooling system will bring the heat down faster and the air will be cooler once it hits the rad/fans?

Right - you have the water absorbing more of the heat that would otherwise be radiated.

The P-series is specifically designed for water so you couldn't have an easier case to convert to a loop. A 360mm rad would do well.

CoachKevin

Oct 25, 2017
Heads up that Amazon Warehouse now has 16 of the EVGA 12GB 3080 FTW3 Ultra in stock. https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce...-deals&sprefix=3080,warehouse-deals,72&sr=8-1

No doubt these are brand new and they are clearing out stock as is usally the case when listed without a detailed description with such high stock. Ordered this morning and it already shipped.

Screenshot-2022-07-14-053121.png

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
So is there a place I can look for PC cases by specific height? I'm looking for an ATX case that's below 450 mm tall. I'm getting tired of waiting for the O11 Air Mini to arrive (and asked distributors and it seems that it probably won't arrive at all), and importing it is soooo expensive.

I need to change my Case already. MasterBox Q500L and BitFenix Mesh TG are the only ones that sit at or below that height.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
So is there a place I can look for PC cases by specific height? I'm looking for an ATX case that's below 450 mm tall. I'm getting tired of waiting for the O11 Air Mini to arrive (and asked distributors and it seems that it probably won't arrive at all), and importing it is soooo expensive.

I need to change my Case already. MasterBox Q500L and BitFenix Mesh TG are the only ones that sit at or below that height.

And use the filters to sort "Height from" and "Height up to." I haven't used this in a year or two so I cannot guarantee it's up to date with new cases.

Anumariku

Jan 8, 2020
I'm assuming we don't have information that is quite reliable enough to give a good answer to this, but with the 30xx series finally starting to come down to realistic prices, I thought I'd ask the question --

My plan was to wait for the 4070 release and hopefully snag a preorder, and assuming the pricing will be $500-600, but since the 3080 12gb is getting near $700 at points, it made me curious on what a 4070 vs 3080 would look like. Is it assumed the 4070 will be on par/exceed the 3080?

And fwiw, I'm not dying for a new card asap, so I can wait a few months for the 4070, so time isn't a factor.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile

GetDigitized

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, I bought an Alienware r10 ryzen edition last year since it worked out at like £400 minus the graphics card.
It has a 5800x with liquid cooling, but it seems to overheat randomly recently (outside the heatwave the UK is experiencing) . For example opening 20 pages of Mercari Japan which is fine 90% of the time causes the pc to BSOD because the cpu is overheating ( I can hear the cooling+fans getting loud and cpu usage maxes out when it happens) . The pc's been updated from W10 to W11 , so I'm not sure if its a faulty processor or if the 5800x is the issue since I've read they overheat a lot. It's fine with gaming, but even stuff like outlook freezing and using like 20-40% cpu causes the liquid cooling to kick in.

It's like 30 celcius in my room, but the cpu is hitting up to 74 degrees just browsing the internet etc.

Last edited:

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Heads up that Amazon Warehouse now has 16 of the EVGA 12GB 3080 FTW3 Ultra in stock. https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-12G-P5-4877-KL-Technology-Backplate/dp/B09Q3DH7V3/ref=sr_1_1?crid=17EL3XQHRIGCW&keywords=3080&m=A2L77EE7U53NWQ&qid=1657791350&s=warehouse-deals&sprefix=3080,warehouse-deals,72&sr=8-1

No doubt these are brand new and they are clearing out stock as is usally the case when listed without a detailed description with such high stock. Ordered this morning and it already shipped.

Screenshot-2022-07-14-053121.png
damn was tempted by this. Even had overnight shipping for Prime. But it's the 3x8 pin and looks slightly thicker than the other FTW3 model (sans RGB) XC3. I have the 3060 Ti FTW Ultra which isn't RGB so got it mixed.

Would just be a PITA to route another cable in my sffpc and I'm not totally confident my 650w PSU would be sufficient lol. Would be much simpler to easily swap out the same dimensions/cabling as my 3060 TI

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Thanks, was using that to check. Sucks that it's europe only, there are a lot of cases not avaliable on my market, but I'll check if Amazon has some of those to see if the import isn't as expensive

Ah yeah, it is Euro-centric. The only other thing close to what you want that I'm aware of is this medium form factor list. It might have a few ATX cases on there, but it's mostly mATX and mITX.

docs.google.com

SFF PC Master List

Sheets SFF PC Master List,Made by u/prayogahs with contribution from u/ermac-318 Sheets,Description,Currency,Value <a href="#gid=534210212">SFF Case <10L</a>,List of Cases smaller than 10L Volume,CNY/USD,0.1400 <a href="#gid=0">SFF Case 10L-20L</a>,List of Cases between 10L and 20L Volume,CNY/GB...

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
So, I bought an Alienware r10 ryzen edition last year since it worked out at like £400 minus the graphics card.
It has a 5800x with liquid cooling, but it seems to overheat randomly recently (outside the heatwave the UK is experiencing) . For example opening 20 pages of Mercari Japan which is fine 90% of the time causes the pc to BSOD because the cpu is overheating ( I can hear the cooling+fans getting loud and cpu usage maxes out when it happens) . The pc's been updated from W10 to W11 , so I'm not sure if its a faulty processor or if the 5800x is the issue since I've read they overheat a lot. It's fine with gaming, but even stuff like outlook freezing and using like 20-40% cpu causes the liquid cooling to kick in.

5800x does get pretty toasty (I have one). You may have to go into BIOS to set a more aggressive custom fan curve (which I had to do)or use this:
github.com

GitHub - Rem0o/FanControl.Releases: This is the release repository for Fan Control, a highly customizable fan controlling software for Windows.

This is the release repository for Fan Control, a highly customizable fan controlling software for Windows. - Rem0o/FanControl.Releases

Also, you may have to replace the thermal paste on the CPU. It's possible that when your PC was assembled, thermal paste was applied poorly.

You can also go into BIOS and change the 5800x to run in ECO mode (65W Mode). There's other things you can do in there and I am sure others here will post about it, but this is a pretty simple thing to do (although you will lose a bit of performance).

GetDigitized

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
(although you will lose a bit of performance).
Thanks , haven't actually checked the bios since I assumed Dell would have optimised settings. I'll check out the fan curve settings, never messed with that sort of thing before.
I dont use the cpu for AAA games so it hardly ever gets maxed out so I think that'll be fine, my pc is basically only for older games,gamepass and emulation so the 5800x was overkill for me, but i got it due to it being a good deal (and not actually reading up on it).
I'll check with Dell about the thermal paste, I have some laying around, but don't want to mess with my warranty over something so simple.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks , haven't actually checked the bios since I assumed Dell would have optimised settings. I'll check out the fan curve settings, never messed with that sort of thing before.
I dont use the cpu for AAA games so it hardly ever gets maxed out so I think that'll be fine, my pc is basically only for older games,gamepass and emulation so the 5800x was overkill for me, but i got it due to it being a good deal (and not actually reading up on it).
I'll check with Dell about the thermal paste, I have some laying around, but don't want to mess with my warranty over something so simple.

Just re-read your post and saw you have an Alienware. I know they use a lot of propietary parts, so it's possible the BIOS might be very limited in what you can do.

And I forgot to ask, what temps are you getting at idle and on load? 5800x will spike CPU usage and temps when having multiple browser tabs open, so seeing something like 65C at that time is normal. But the crashing is definitely not normal.

CoachKevin

Oct 25, 2017
damn was tempted by this. Even had overnight shipping for Prime. But it's the 3x8 pin and looks slightly thicker than the other FTW3 model (sans RGB) XC3. I have the 3060 Ti FTW Ultra which isn't RGB so got it mixed.

Would just be a PITA to route another cable in my sffpc and I'm not totally confident my 650w PSU would be sufficient lol. Would be much simpler to easily swap out the same dimensions/cabling as my 3060 TI

Holy shit. I didn't notice that. I am sure my 850w power supply will be fine with it, but that is a lot of power vs the normal 16-pin 3080 and 8-pin 3070.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Holy shit. I didn't notice that. I am sure my 850w power supply will be fine with it, but that is a lot of power vs the normal 16-pin 3080 and 8-pin 3070.
yeah It's kind of annoying. I feel like it's solely for the RGB strip lmao the boost can't be that much of a diff compared to the XC3 3080 12GB...

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021

It's like 30 celcius in my room, but the cpu is hitting up to 74 degrees just browsing the internet etc.
I would remove the pump block, clean the CPU and pump, and reinstall the block with fresh thermal paste. It's possible they didn't tighten down the block all the way and/or do a sub-par application of thermal paste.

Also, update the Bios and Chipset drivers, if you havent.

Dell command update makes it easy. Otherwise, you can manually download bios and drivers, by putting the service tag of your dell/Alienware, into the dell support site.

Also open a command prompt and use the command:

sfc /scannow

This will find and attempt to automatically fix corrupt windows files.

And then update windows.

Last edited:

PhantomFFR

Oct 25, 2017
Vienna, Austria, EU, Earth
Right - you have the water absorbing more of the heat that would otherwise be radiated.

I don't think this works quite that way, at least not in practical application. Given the specific idea of a PC heating up the room, the method of cooling the components would only matter in so much as a bigger thermal mass (as with water in water cooling) would take longer to heat up and cool down compared to a metal heat sink. But ultimately the temperature in the room would be the same.
What might change in theory would be the extremes of the room temperature. A larger thermal mass would be slower to raise the temperature of the room, but also keep it warmer for longer, but it might not reach the same peak temperature. But given the variables, that seems more of an academic exercise than practically relevant, as apparently the PC would be running under quite a bit of load for prolonged periods anyway. And I can't imagine the room in question being small enough to heat up significantly if the computer is stressed for short periods of time.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
I don't think this works quite that way, at least not in practical application. Given the specific idea of a PC heating up the room, the method of cooling the components would only matter in so much as a bigger thermal mass (as with water in water cooling) would take longer to heat up and cool down compared to a metal heat sink. But ultimately the temperature in the room would be the same.
What might change in theory would be the extremes of the room temperature. A larger thermal mass would be slower to raise the temperature of the room, but also keep it warmer for longer, but it might not reach the same peak temperature. But given the variables, that seems more of an academic exercise than practically relevant, as apparently the PC would be running under quite a bit of load for prolonged periods anyway. And I can't imagine the room in question being small enough to heat up significantly if the computer is stressed for short periods of time.

Yeah, thinking about it maybe I'm using a bit too much bro science, lol. If there's a marginal improvement and you get a quieter, faster PC though perhaps it's still worth it.

GetDigitized

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just re-read your post and saw you have an Alienware. I know they use a lot of propietary parts, so it's possible the BIOS might be very limited in what you can do.

And I forgot to ask, what temps are you getting at idle and on load? 5800x will spike CPU usage and temps when having multiple browser tabs open, so seeing something like 65C at that time is normal. But the crashing is definitely not normal.

Last time i checked it was around 40, going as low as 35ish, but that was a couple of months ago. atm its 40-50 but its also MUCH hotter and humid in the uk atm due to a heatwave so i think thats still fine.
I never have multiple browsers and have like 3-5 tabs open if im working.
The 20 tab thing I do once or twice a day to check for collectibles, but I've been doing that for years, only the 5800x has been giving me issues, I thought it was chrome being the culprit at first , but realised in the past month its chrome+the cpu. What happens is the tabs don't load but the cpu goes crazy until it eventually BSOD's. I usually kill chrome via task manager before that happens.
I would remove the pump block, clean the CPU and pump, and reinstall the block with fresh thermal paste. It's possible they didn't tighten down the block all the way and/or do a sub-par application of thermal paste.

Also, update the Bios and Chipset drivers, if you havent.

Dell command update makes it easy. Otherwise, you can manually download bios and drivers, by putting the service tag of your dell/Alienware, into the dell support site.

Also open a command prompt and use the command:

sfc /scannow

This will find and attempt to automatically fix corrupt windows files.

And then update windows.
This is my first liquid cooled cpu so I'll have to look into that.

Bios+chipset are up to date, I check once a month.

I did the sdc /scannow when I upgraded to W11 and just did it now, no issues.

Guess I'll try the thermal paste and then if that fails reinstall W11 as a last ditch. Thanks for the help you two,if it still happens I'll post back in like 2 weeks since I won't have the time for a while.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I've bought, cancelled, and rebought this damn 3070 four times now in the past two days because every time I check, Amazon has lowered the price for the stock have in Amazon Warehouse. The price is down $4 since I last reordered this morning. Should I do it again? Please tell me no, lol.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand

The P-series is specifically designed for water so you couldn't have an easier case to convert to a loop. A 360mm rad would do well.

I'm almost 100% sure that the difference in heat in the room between air cooling and water cooling is negligible, at least in that the heat absorbed by the water doesn't add up to much of anything.

In fact, a good water cooling system can heat up your room MORE because it reduces the likelihood of thermal throttling, which means you might push more wattage through your system.

Basically, getting a better cooler on your CPU/GPU, whether air- or water-cooled, won't measurably improve your room temp, and might just make it worse.

As someone else suggested, you'll want to undervolt your CPU and GPU and maybe pick up a more power efficient power supply as your only real options to reduce heat generated by your PC.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'll chime in on this watercooling vs air cooling debate just to say that water cooling will not cool your room down and if anything it will make it warmer by an imperceptible amount. A good custom loop will move more heat away from your CPU and GPU to radiators that then put that heat in the air with the aid of your fans. The amount of heat generated doesn't change and in fact with Precision Boost Overdrive and the way modern GPUs handle boost clocks, better cooling means more sustained boost times, which means more heat generated.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
FYI, MicroCenter has ASUS 3080Ti TUFs for $979 (in-store)

www.microcenter.com

ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti TUF Overclocked Triple-Fan 12GB GDDR6X PCIe 4.0 Graphics Card - Micro Center

Get it now! The TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6X OC Edition features three Axial-tech Fans and a MaxContact heatsink to deliver best-in-class thermal performance. Military-grade Capacitors and other TUF components enhance durability and performance.

Also have $1299 EVGA 3090 FTW3 and $1499 EVGA 3090 Ti FTW3

Decado

Dec 7, 2017
About to pull the trigger on an upgrade. I'd been considering getting a new PC, so want to run this by folks quickly before I go buy it.

Current system:
Intel Core i7 8700K 3.7GHz 12MB
Geforce 1070 (forget which one - wanting to upgrade it for years)
MSI Z370 GAMING PLUS Motherboard
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3 750W PSU
G.SKILL RipjawsV DR4 3200 16GB
Noctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler
Fractal Design Focus G ATX Case
500GB SSD
2TB HD

Upgrade to: MSI RTX 3060 Ti VENTUS 2X OC

For $30 CAD more I might be able to get an MSI RTX 3060 Ti Gaming X 8G LHR

Or possibly a 3070

I play on a 65" 4k tv (sitting fairly close). I can also build a new PC, or wait until Fall/Winter and build a new PC.

This upgrade seems like a nice compromise, though I'm unsure what kind of performance I can expect with newer games like God of War and Warhammer III.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

CoachKevin

Oct 25, 2017
Rolling the dice on Amazon Warehouse New but sold as Used EVGA Cards. More often than not when they list something as "Acceptable" or "Good" without a detailed description they are just offloading extra or dented new stock. Really hope that 12GB 3080 for $629 is a new card.

AjPUzRN.png