• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
That being said, if you definitely plan on switching to ITX in the future, it might be worthwhile just investing in an SFX power supply now to use with your current hardware, and then when the time comes to buy a new motherboard and case you can just carry over that PSU with it. You'll need an adapter bracket of sorts like this.

Corsair's SFX products are great and you while you can get by with a 600W power supply, I'd go for a 750W model to give yourself a bit more headroom for the future.
Hey, I just thought I'd mention that I've gone for the Corsair SF750. Found it for £100 on amazon just now and thought why not. It's £10 cheaper than it's ever been as far as I can see.

TΛPIVVΛ

Nov 12, 2017
some pics after I moved my top case fan over the CPU cooler heatsink area...makes sense to have it there as it won't interfere with the natural airflow of the case plus it adds some additional cooling for the giant heatsinks...

jJpEmigh.jpg

HGwyRkVh.jpg

tmMpUMfh.jpg
Just curious what mesh are you using at the top? Have the same case but have an AIO for my EVGA 3080 so the one before doesn't fit

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Just curious what mesh are you using at the top? Have the same case but have an AIO for my EVGA 3080 so the one before doesn't fit

I'm using the default one that came with the Meshify S2 case...I just removed the dust filter because I'm using the top fan as an exhaust but kept the mesh cover

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
some pics after I moved my top case fan over the CPU cooler heatsink area...makes sense to have it there as it won't interfere with the natural airflow of the case plus it adds some additional cooling for the giant heatsinks...
You have some nice parts, but you should take care of that cable management haha :P

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Thanks for the prompt info dude! What are the specs for the rest of your rig and how's the new exhaust temps working out?

AMD 5800X
MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk
G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 32GB (2 x 16GB)
EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra
Corsair RM850x
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2

Noctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler
Noctua NF-A14 140mm Case Fans

I haven't had time to test temps yet but I don't see it making a big difference one way or the other...I just like using exhaust fans in all my builds as I've always felt that since heat rises that it's always best to have at least one on top of the case

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Dreading the day I have to pull off my CPU cooler. Really felt like I was about to break the damn motherboard with how much I had to tighten that thing down for the screws to "bite".

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Dreading the day I have to pull off my CPU cooler. Really felt like I was about to break the damn motherboard with how much I had to tighten that thing down for the screws to "bite".

When you do, be sure to run your PC for a few minutes and maybe do a CPU stress test to warm it up and soften the thermal paste, then twist the cooler a bit instead of pulling straight up. At least with Ryzen CPUs, you could potentially yank it out when removing the cooler if you don't do this!

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any way to get an RTX 3080 at MSRP or am I just chasing a unicorn behind a rainbow? In US btw.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
ok, got my new motherboard, CPU and RAM and managed to let my old Windows boot.

but I think my PC still thinks it has a Intel CPU and not an AMD.
what is the best course of actions here?

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
ok, got my new motherboard, CPU and RAM and managed to let my old Windows boot.

but I think my PC still thinks it has a Intel CPU and not an AMD.
what is the best course of actions here?
First thing that comes to mind is downloading software for your CPU and Motherboard and install it, stuff like the chipset driver for example.

You could also update your BIOS in case there's a problem there.

You could also create a Windows USB installation drive and reinstall. Probably the best option as the user above said.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Honestly the best, easiest thing to do is to just re-install Windows. Anything else probably isn't worth the headaches.

First thing that comes to mind is downloading software for your CPU and Motherboard and install it, stuff like the chipset driver for example.

You could also update your BIOS in case there's a problem there.

You could also create a Windows USB installation drive and reinstall. Probably the best option as the user above said.
could an update to win 11 also help?
because with the new CPU I can update to win11 now.

BUT.. I need to enable "secure start" for that, but when I first started my PC after the mainboard change, it wouldn't boot windows.
I had to change it from UEFI to CSM.
but you need to enable UEFI for "secure start", did I get the right?
not sure if my PC will still boot, when I change it back to UEFI.

Last edited:

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Do Newegg Shuffles still offer cards at MSRP? Looking to build a stopgap rig with a 3060Ti to upgrade from my 1070. If not, where would be the best place to look? I'm not paying 800 fucking dollars on a card that's going to be a midpoint before I find an endgame card that can do 4k60 with ray tracing no compromises probably within a gen or two.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
ok, so I can't install Win11 because I can't activate "secure start".
and I can't activate it, because I can't switch to UEFI because then my system won't boot anymore.
for that to work, I need to change my SSD where I have windows installed from MBR to GPT. But it won't let me.

how can I change that?
reinstall from bootstick? will that let me choose if I want GPT?
and do I need to do an install with win10 first, or can I do win11 right away then?

BSherrod

Oct 27, 2017
ryzen_7_5800x3d_3dvcache_ryzen_9_5900x.png.webp

We are close to the release of 5800X3D so... just wanted to share some thoughts!

If you are living in a place where there is a good availability/prices and you are eyeing a CPU upgrade on AMD platform then the 5800X3D is definitely worth waiting for imo. Its also a solid contender against Intel's 12th gen CPUs as well for pure gaming. Its crazy how the situation now is completely reversed in terms of AMD vs Intel gaming/app performance!

According to AMD the new processor is 15% faster on average than the 5900X, and what we should consider here I think is:

- Let us not make the same mistake again by assuming that someday the 12-core CPU will overtake the 8-core one, its not going to happen simply because of single thread limitations. The 10700k is still a faster CPU for gaming than the 3950X even in CPU intensive cases today, as it was some years ago. In fact looking at this graph that AMD shared before, In some games the 5800X3D could offer up to 40% performance increase over the 5900X, this is a very big increase and closer to a generational jump than a simple upgrade. Also 20% improvement in many other games is not nothing.

- Right now the processor doesn't matter at high resolution like 4k, but when we have some scaling with future GPU generations, it will be in favor of 5800X3D and it will be similar to what we are seeing in this graph, not the 5900X or 5950X. The most "future proof" CPU of this line-up is going to be the 5800X3D if you care about that, and its the CPU that will have the highest chance out of these to max out your next GPU, without having to upgrade the mobo/cpu/ram.

ryzen_7_5800x3d_3dvcache_core_i9_12900K.png.webp

When compared to Intel, things get more complicated!

If the 5800X3D is really 350$ like the source above said, then it would be better for pure gaming build than any Intel 12th gen CPU. Its gonna be faster than a 12700k, and slightly cheaper. Now the 12700k will be faster in desktop use and apps in general, and there remains advantages to choosing it over the 5800X3D. But again for someone just looking at pushing the highest FPS possible, this is gonna be the best choice for that and the extra cores of the 12700k will not lead to any advantage against the 5800X3D in gaming, it will probably be evenly matched with the 12900k when looking at larger selection of games as well, but at ~half or 2/3 the price.

Now of course, for someone just looking at maxing out their GPU at high resolution now with no intention of upgrade anytime soon, then CPU doesn't matter much, and even 5600X/12600k would be able to do the job just fine.

Saying that, Its too late and I will probably not be able to get one due to limited availability/high cost here : (
I've been holding out for this ever since I had to buy a new motherboard for my case swap last year. Big fan of the aesthetics of my board and will be playing at higher resolutions whenever I upgrade my GPU so I figured it'd be good to get the best in socket CPU and ride it out until DDR5 has a clear cut advantage over DDR4. A $350 price tag would be awesome, but I'm anticipating $400-450 just because it's possible very competitive with the 12th Gen Intel's.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
are benchmarks like Cinebench and Unigine Superposition worth running or do they torture the system too much like Furmark and Kombustor?...I don't want to run any tests that try and melt my system...

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
I've been holding out for this ever since I had to buy a new motherboard for my case swap last year. Big fan of the aesthetics of my board and will be playing at higher resolutions whenever I upgrade my GPU so I figured it'd be good to get the best in socket CPU and ride it out until DDR5 has a clear cut advantage over DDR4. A $350 price tag would be awesome, but I'm anticipating $400-450 just because it's possible very competitive with the 12th Gen Intel's.

450$ is gonna be too expensive, even if its faster than Intel in gaming it will probably still lose against the 12700k in apps, and there is also the perception of a 12-core processor vs 8-core processer, and a more modern platform. I would be surprised if it is priced at more than 400$.

I was also waiting to upgrade but unfortunately as AMD has no distributor where I live, I doubt stores are gonna carry it or import it because its gonna be more expensive than regular 5800X, and Intel is way more popular here so even for someone buying in this price category they will choose the 12700k over it. Even if they carried it in limited quantities its gonna be at least ~150-200$ more expensive that what the 5800X is going for right now. Anyway, I will make my mind in the next weeks : (

Isn't it 15% faster than the 5800x?

No, 15% faster on average than 5900X, which means it should be ~17-18% faster than 5800X on average at 1080p. Though "on average" is not the only metric, its gonna be extremely useful for games that are sensitive to cache, getting 20-40% improvement in some games is very big improvement. This should easily be the AM4 CPU that will last the most in terms of gaming performance.

Last edited:

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone ever experience a USB Overcurrent POST error on their motherboard even when nothing is connected via USB and even the internal USB headers are disconnected?

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
how do I reinstall windows and change my SSD to GPT in the same time?

edit: and is it possible to do a win11 install right away? or do I need to reinstall win10 and then update to win11?

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Anyone ever experience a USB Overcurrent POST error on their motherboard even when nothing is connected via USB and even the internal USB headers are disconnected?

Thankfully no, but a quick look around shows the three possible culprits:
  1. BIOS issue (ie: reinstall your BIOS if possible)
  2. Front panel wiring issue (ie: wires in the wrong place, even for the power buttons, etc)
  3. Ground fault on the motherboard (something being bridged; either by corrosion, damage, or like a loose conductive screw sitting in the wrong spot) I vaguely recall this error on really old boards caused by using the wrong screws to install a motherboard, but I'm not sure that is even still possible.
Assuming it fails post, the last resort method to test would be to literally remove the motherboard from the case, set it on your Motherboard box, then reconnect just enough to POST and see what happens. Not a fun method but if it comes down to RMA as an option, you could try it.

how do I reinstall windows and change my SSD to GPT in the same time?

edit: and is it possible to do a win11 install right away? or do I need to reinstall win10 and then update to win11?

This video covers how to convert to GPT during a windows installation. He does it from a Windows 11 DVD, but the experience would be the same from a USB key. According to this you can activate Windows 11 using a Windows 10 key / Windows 10 MS account, so a clean wipe and install should be possible.

I also noticed this guide which explains how to convert from MBR to GPT, in Windows 10, without losing your data.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
speaking of GPT...I have a Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe...how come when I look in Device Manager my Samsung NVMe doesn't display my GPT/MBR status?...doing a Google search it says that in Device Manager---> Disk drives---> Volumes tab, it's supposed to show it...it only shows blank lines for me...what am I doing wrong?

g0UkgSN.png

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
This video covers how to convert to GPT during a windows installation. He does it from a Windows 11 DVD, but the experience would be the same from a USB key. According to this you can activate Windows 11 using a Windows 10 key / Windows 10 MS account, so a clean wipe and install should be possible.

I also noticed this guide which explains how to convert from MBR to GPT, in Windows 10, without losing your data.
got it now. thanks.

did the win11 test and the little app now says my system is ready, but under "Windows Update" it still says "PC does currently not meet the requirements for Win11"..
speaking of GPT...I have a Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe...how come when I look in Device Manager my Samsung NVMe doesn't display my GPT/MBR status?...doing a Google search it says that in Device Manager---> Disk drives---> Volumes tab, it's supposed to show it...it only shows blank lines for me...what am I doing wrong?

g0UkgSN.png
press "Populate"

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
Yeah if they ever made a 5950X3D version I would buy two, just to extend the longevity of both my machines since AM4 is done now.

It stinks that AMD won't release a 5950X3D cpu. I've been holding out on upgrading my 3900X for the best chip you can get on the AM4 platform. I think I'd rather have the extra cores than the extra performance uplife V-cache allows. Looks like I'll be going with the 5950X and a really good kit of ram.

Those two plus the eventual Alienware QD-OLED panel will be a super nice upgrade.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It stinks that AMD won't release a 5950X3D cpu. I've been holding out on upgrading my 3900X for the best chip you can get on the AM4 platform. I think I'd rather have the extra cores than the extra performance uplife V-cache allows. Looks like I'll be going with the 5950X and a really good kit of ram.

Those two plus the eventual Alienware QD-OLED panel will be a super nice upgrade.
Well here's the endgame Zen 3 RAM kit if your use case involves high RAM usage:

www.newegg.com

G.SKILL Trident Z Neo Series 128GB (4 x 32GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Intel XMP 2.0 Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C16Q-128GTZN - Newegg.com

Buy G.SKILL Trident Z Neo Series 128GB (4 x 32GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Intel XMP 2.0 Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C16Q-128GTZN with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
Well here's the endgame Zen 3 RAM kit if your use case involves high RAM usage:

www.newegg.com

G.SKILL Trident Z Neo Series 128GB (4 x 32GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Intel XMP 2.0 Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C16Q-128GTZN - Newegg.com

Buy G.SKILL Trident Z Neo Series 128GB (4 x 32GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Intel XMP 2.0 Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C16Q-128GTZN with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

I was actually looking at this one

www.newegg.com

G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Elite Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C14Q-64GTESA - Newegg.com

Buy G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Elite Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C14Q-64GTESA with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Though 128GB would be cool, I don't need that much. Also, I prefer much lower latency (timing 14-14-14-34).

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was actually looking at this one

www.newegg.com

G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Elite Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C14Q-64GTESA - Newegg.com

Buy G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Elite Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C14Q-64GTESA with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Though 128GB would be cool, I don't need that much. Also, I prefer much lower latency (timing 14-14-14-34).
Oh yeah that is a sweet kit.