• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
GPU woes continue and I don't really know what the best course of action is.

Quick recap: my 1080 Ti (literally) cooked itself, I suspect something wrong with the card itself. I've replaced it with an RTX 3070. Ever since installing the 3070 I get weird display driver issues, usually manifesting as the computer stalling for 5 or so seconds, the screen or window going dark, flashing, and then returning to normal. It's very easily triggerable by rapidly dragging a window back and forth (eg: Chrome or Steam). Sometimes the whole monitor freezes and flashes, sometimes its just the window itself (while the mouse pointer remains visible and moveable, though cannot interact with anything).

From my tinkering and testing I've observed the following:
- Monitoring software shows an aggressive GPU usage spike to 100% every time this occurs.
- Event monitor displays the warning message "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."
- It's always present but wildly inconsistent in how regularly it impacts activity (eg: it's happened 3 times just typing this post, no moving windows)
- Some games are perfectly playable, others are not. EG: Dying Light 2 has no performance or crash issues even maxed out and stressing the GPU. Rocket League has very infrequent but nevertheless existing crashes seemingly from the same driver issue. Cyberpunk is straight up unplayable after the latest patch and crashes regularly, same driver issue. Some games have had no crashes or issue at all.
- I've done a clean install of Windows 10 to ensure no driver issues. This hasn't helped.
- Research has been useless. The "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." error is apparently notorious and could be a million things. Some suggested underclocking the card to see if it's a stability issue. Tried it, didn't work.
- I have no way to test any other component as I do not have spares.

So basically I don't know if it's the GPU that's 100% at fault and I should send it back for warranty. Or if it's a clash with other components (eg: MBO) that have issues or damage from my previous GPU shitting the bed.

Within the next two - three weeks I'm going to be buying an entirely new MBO/CPU/RAM setup, so my gut says I should just wait until then and see if the GPU issue continue. If it reoccurs on a new setup I'll send it back.

Rocket League has issues with OneDrive. Unlinking OneDrive solved its crashes to me.
I had similar driver issue with W10 and wasn't able to solve it, a clean install of W11 solved it completely. I was sure its not the GPU because I was able to game for hours with no crashes.

Any thoughts on this budget build? I want it as my main PC, used for some hobbies like making music, game dev, and art. Probably some light gaming as well. I'm thinking the 5600G should be powerful enough for my use case but not totally sure. For example, I'm not exactly sure how it might hold up using something like Blender. I also want to have a PC that is a good fit for putting in a GPU later on if I choose to do so.

How about i5-12600k build instead? its way way better for performance in applications including blender than the 5600G, and its faster in games though its integrated graphics is seemingly slower. Regardless it would be much better choice in the long run especially that you aim to add GPU in the future.

Indeed, its the architectural improvements. And not just the IPC and clockspeed improvements. But specifically, the cache. Zen 2 already had a lot of cache, which helped it perform as well as it did. But, the cache in Zen 3 is now totally unified. So, all cores have access to all of the cache, all of the time. Whereas with Zen 2, the cache was split evenly between each CCX (group of cores). Unified cache improves performance of the cores. They also added even more total cache for Zen 3. So its a really big reason for the performance improvements. 5600g and 5700g have their cache cut in half. So, you can get an interesting view of how important the cache size is, to Ryzen.

Right. They improved the latency big time. Cache is also the main reason why the new 5800X is gonna be the fastest gaming CPU (probably) when it releases. I think CPU cores and GPU VRAM importance were way over-estimated by PC builders over the years. I'm not saying they are not important of course, but they were over-emphasized compared to other more important metrics that were going to affect gaming performance more directly, and ended up not as useful as people thought. I mean the 12600k can outperform the 5900X in many games.

Last edited:

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021
Oh yeah, another thing I forgot to say about VA panels:

For me personally, they usually make my eyes hurt after only about 10 minutes. Unless I'm really far away from them. So, I cannot use them as a PC monitor. I can't sit close to a VA TV to fill my view for immersive video gaming.

I have to be way back, in a large living room.

I had a nice Samsung 144hz VA monitor C32JG56 32" which I had to get rid of. My two monitors since then, have been fantastic for my eyes. An Asus pro-art with IPS panel. and a Monoprice Dark Matter with AHVA panel (IPS-like).

I also recently picked up an old high end Samsung TV from like 2010. Its a 52 inch 1080p VA panel TV with extraordinarily good viewing angles for a VA TV. Beautiful color. Minimal dark smearing. But maaaaan it hurts my eyes to watch it. Unfortunately, gonna have to get rid of it.

This is just me, though. Not saying VA hurts everyone's eyes. I know they don't.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Big quote chain incoming....

A. a 6700k will bottleneck a 3070 pretty often.

B. Regarding the Asus Ryzen system: This particular one has some real nice stuff, mostly where it counts. It comes with a legit nice X570 mohterboard. Good AIO. Decent Power supply, which is likely made by Great Wall (a quality OEM which makes power supplies for Corsair and some other companies). A 3070. And a 5800x. The RAM looks to be fine. I dunno what it is. I would be very surprised if the SSD was a PCI-E 4.0 unit. However, a quick call to your local microcenter should clear that up.
Really----its a pretty solid buy for the money. And there isn't really anything you would need to do with it, to make it right. When you get it, you should check all the cable attachements, waterblock screws, etc, to make sure its all tighten down like it should be.

However, there is another Asus product which will take a little extra to make it right. But, If you ultimately value gaming/graphics, It could be a better purchase, in the end. one of these from Best Buy. (Or ask Microcenter if they have something similar):
These also come with really nice motherboards. This one, in fact: https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b560-g-gaming-wifi-model/
It comes with an Asus TUF 3080. a lot more powerful than the 3070 and it may be better use of your money.
11700KF is very similar performance as a 5800x. Technically, the 5800x is better. But you wouldn't ever be able to tell the difference, unless you were timing long video renders or something like that.
The RAM is barebones RAM. It won't have low timings and it doesn't look nice with heatspreaders. But its fine. Its also half the amount of the other system.
smaller SSD
The CPU cooler is garbage. You will need to get something better or the CPU will throttle and lose a lot of performance in order to manage heat.
It comes with a quality PSU from Great Wall
The case reportedly is not the most friendly for adding fans and whatnot.

Your choice!
This was so helpful, thank you! I'm leaning towards the first asus one. I'd be keeping my sn750 nvme so I'm not too worried if it has a slower SSD for the OS. I'd put all on games ony nvme.

Cranzor

Oct 25, 2017
How about i5-12600k build instead? its way way better for performance in applications including blender than the 5600G, and its faster in games though its integrated graphics is seemingly slower. Regardless it would be much better choice in the long run especially that you aim to add GPU in the future.

Thank you, I appreciate the advice. I will definitely consider that. All I have right now is a laptop with a MX150 card, which is pretty old and weak at this point. But it has been fine for my needs so far. If the integrated graphics on the 12600k are on par or better than that, then I should have no issues.

Oct 29, 2017

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Thank you, I appreciate the advice. I will definitely consider that. All I have right now is a laptop with a MX150 card, which is pretty old and weak at this point. But it has been fine for my needs so far. If the integrated graphics on the 12600k are on par or better than that, then I should have no issues.

Honestly the integrated graphics of the 12600k is not going to be satisfying on its own even with low settings, the 5600G is way better in this area, but the 12600k is much faster in applications (it has 6 performance cores + 4 efficient cores). It would perform better with a GPU than the 5600G as well, but if you want better gaming from the CPU now, you have to go with AMD.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile

I'm not saying a 5600x is worthless. If you are on a 5600x you have 0 reasons to upgrade to other CPU unless you have specific need for more cores. But if you are on an older 6 core chip, to me it doesn't make much sense going to another 6 core chip. If it's about averages and charts, say, if you are on the 1700x why not going for a 12100 then, if that's all that matters? Sometimes it's not all about charted % gains.

Another way to look at it, while it's not all about more cores and more threads, let's use a 6600k and a 6700k. Back in the day it was the same deal: go with the 6600k, it's not really much difference with the 6700k, and all charts showed the same. A couple of years later and those who chose a 6700k clearly got a better experience in the long run, they got longer before they had to upgrade.

The difference is that saving that price premium back could mean a higher tier GPU. That isn't the case anymore. Maybe you'll get more storage, more ram, sure, but you can also just get a better, longer running CPU, which is a core component.

Everything in the end is about your use case and budget. If those extra 100 bucks don't hurt, go for the better chip. If you are on a tighter budget, then don't worry, you'll get an excellent 6 core chip regardless.

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Compared to a 5600x ---- at 1440p, you won't actually notice any difference in the majority of games. At 4K, you won't ever notice the difference, unless its a game which absolutely loves cores. Of which there are only a small number that I can think of.

I don't think the upgrade is worth it. I would wait until later this year, when Zen 4 and Raptor Lake arrive.

The 5600x is Zen 3. The generational improvements over the Zen 3700x are quite large. A 5800x likely won't make much more difference for you. However, Since you mentioned Sim Racing, I would look around and see if someone has some benchmarks. You might be playing one of the few games which truly loves extra cores. And not just the extra cache, which the 5600x already has.

What are your thoughts on the 5800X3D? It appears to still use the AM4 socket so my x570 board may be able to support it. Potential worthwhile upgrade?

oddjobs

Oct 27, 2017

Quick recap: my 1080 Ti (literally) cooked itself, I suspect something wrong with the card itself. I've replaced it with an RTX 3070. Ever since installing the 3070 I get weird display driver issues, usually manifesting as the computer stalling for 5 or so seconds, the screen or window going dark, flashing, and then returning to normal. It's very easily triggerable by rapidly dragging a window back and forth (eg: Chrome or Steam). Sometimes the whole monitor freezes and flashes, sometimes its just the window itself (while the mouse pointer remains visible and moveable, though cannot interact with anything).

- Monitoring software shows an aggressive GPU usage spike to 100% every time this occurs.
- Event monitor displays the warning message "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."
- It's always present but wildly inconsistent in how regularly it impacts activity (eg: it's happened 3 times just typing this post, no moving windows)
- Some games are perfectly playable, others are not. EG: Dying Light 2 has no performance or crash issues even maxed out and stressing the GPU. Rocket League has very infrequent but nevertheless existing crashes seemingly from the same driver issue. Cyberpunk is straight up unplayable after the latest patch and crashes regularly, same driver issue. Some games have had no crashes or issue at all.
- I've done a clean install of Windows 10 to ensure no driver issues. This hasn't helped.
- Research has been useless. The "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." error is apparently notorious and could be a million things. Some suggested underclocking the card to see if it's a stability issue. Tried it, didn't work.

So basically I don't know if it's the GPU that's 100% at fault and I should send it back for warranty. Or if it's a clash with other components (eg: MBO) that have issues or damage from my previous GPU shitting the bed.

Within the next two - three weeks I'm going to be buying an entirely new MBO/CPU/RAM setup, so my gut says I should just wait until then and see if the GPU issue continue. If it reoccurs on a new setup I'll send it back.

Possible easy & cheap solutions to try before buying anything else:

- If you didn't when switching the cards, clear your CMOS
- Use DDU to get a clean install for your GPU drivers (clean re-install of Windows would of course do the same)

Out of curiosity, what brand & model is your 3070?

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021
12700k is $337.50 @ Amazon

What are your thoughts on the 5800X3D? It appears to still use the AM4 socket so my x570 board may be able to support it. Potential worthwhile upgrade?
Games love cache. For people with big GPUs---- it will likely give them more frames than 12th gen or zen 3.
It could be significant for minimum framerates, which would benefit more GPUs than just the biggest ones.

The cache will likely benefit some other areas, such as encryption benchmarks.

However, the underlying architecture is the same. And it won't even be available for another month or two.
Zen4 and Raptor Lake should solidly beat it later this year.
IMO, this late in release----its kinda only for people who need a big upgrade now. Or people who have money to play with. I don't think it's gonna be a good value.
I would like to have seen it release in January.

Last edited:

Kintaro

Oct 27, 2017
Here is my final parts list, I am pairing this with a RTX 3080 FE I was able to score. My only question mark would be the RAM and storage. Any comments on how these parts look? I plan on ordering this today.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor ($374.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($101.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z690-P D4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($216.49 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($184.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: ADATA XPG GAMMIX S70 Blade 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1083.44
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-02-18 18:31 EST-0500

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Here is my final parts list, I am pairing this with a RTX 3080 FE I was able to score. My only question mark would be the RAM and storage. Any comments on how these parts look? I plan on ordering this today.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($101.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($184.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: ADATA XPG GAMMIX S70 Blade 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ Newegg)

If you don't care about RGB, you could swap out the Corsair AIO for an Arctic Liquid Freezer II or even an EK-AIO Basic. They'll give better performance, particularly the Arctic.

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021

PCPartPicker Part List

Order the 12800k at Amazon today or price match at a local best buy. $339.50

drastic

Oct 25, 2017

Have you tried pulling and re-seating the card? It's a common issue for the display driver to keep crashing like that.

Kintaro

Oct 27, 2017
If you don't care about RGB, you could swap out the Corsair AIO for an Arctic Liquid Freezer II or even an EK-AIO Basic. They'll give better performance, particularly the Arctic.
Thanks I picked up the Arctic Liquid Freezer II after checking out some videos. Got all my stuff order and excited to build my new computer.

I'm going to get a case as well as I'm going to repurpose my current rig. Now I need to research that.

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021
As I'm considering building a new computer this year, I started looking at what CPU cooling options are out there now. What would work better for one of those latest-gen Intel processors: AIO, or high-end air cooling? I'm looking at these products in particular:
These two will give similar performance. However, the problem with EK right now, is their Vardar fans. The fans offer very high pressure and perform very well at every speed. However, they are some of the loudest stock fans on any AIO.

IMO, the EK fans should be replaced. Especially if you are running anything more power hungry than a 12600k (because they will be too noisy when handling a hotter CPU). However, 2 really good fans will cost you $40 - $50 more...

Last edited:

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
As I'm considering building a new computer this year, I started looking at what CPU cooling options are out there now. What would work better for one of those latest-gen Intel processors: AIO, or high-end air cooling? I'm looking at these products in particular:

I use the EK-AIO 240 with a 5800x. I don't use the stock fans but do use two Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM fans. With this cooling setup I get great performance with near silent performance when not benchmarking (I have an aggressive fan curve).

But comparing an AIO with the Noctua NH-D15, there isn't going to to be that much of a difference in performance. The only thing to consider is case size and cooler clearance. Also, AIO pumps will degrade over time, and usually have a lifespan of 6-8 years, depending on how well you're treating them (installed properly to ensure no air bubbles in the pump). An air cooler can last forever; the only thing that could stop working is the fan, and those are relatively cheap to replace.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I did it, I bought the Asus GA35 from microcenter, with the 3070.

I'm looking to put my SN750 NVMe in, and it looks like this motherboard comes with heatsinks? Do i need to apply this to my NVMe or does it just sit on top of there? It looks like the mother board is this one

rog.asus.com

ROG Strix X570-E Gaming | Motherboards | ROG Global

AMD Ryzen 3000 series ATX motherboard with Aura Sync, WiFi 6(802.11ax), 2.5G LAN, Intel 1G LAN, Dual PCIe 4.0 M.2 with heatsinks, SupremeFX and USB 3.2 Gen 2

This is the PC i got:
www.microcenter.com

ASUS ROG Strix GA35 GA35DX-MB776 Gaming PC Platinum Collection; AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 - Micro Center

Get it now! Dominate game worlds and beyond with the powerful ROG Strix GA35. Action-packed gameplay runs fast and fluid on Windows 10 Pro OS and an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 graphics card, while an 8-core AMD Ryzen 7 5800X CPU accelerates demanding workloads like content creation and heavy...

Any advice? It looks like I need to unscrew the silver bar under where the GPU is, and i'm assuming that's the heatsink, but then I'm not sure where to go from there.

Oct 29, 2017
Alright, I did it, I bought the Asus GA35 from microcenter, with the 3070.

I'm looking to put my SN750 NVMe in, and it looks like this motherboard comes with heatsinks? Do i need to apply this to my NVMe or does it just sit on top of there? It looks like the mother board is this one

rog.asus.com

ROG Strix X570-E Gaming | Motherboards | ROG Global

AMD Ryzen 3000 series ATX motherboard with Aura Sync, WiFi 6(802.11ax), 2.5G LAN, Intel 1G LAN, Dual PCIe 4.0 M.2 with heatsinks, SupremeFX and USB 3.2 Gen 2

This is the PC i got:
www.microcenter.com

ASUS ROG Strix GA35 GA35DX-MB776 Gaming PC Platinum Collection; AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 - Micro Center

Get it now! Dominate game worlds and beyond with the powerful ROG Strix GA35. Action-packed gameplay runs fast and fluid on Windows 10 Pro OS and an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 graphics card, while an 8-core AMD Ryzen 7 5800X CPU accelerates demanding workloads like content creation and heavy...

Any advice? It looks like I need to unscrew the silver bar under where the GPU is, and i'm assuming that's the heatsink, but then I'm not sure where to go from there.
Yeah those long metal pieces under or above the PCIe brackets are covering the M.2 Ports, but it looks like it is a whole piece that covers both rather than separate heatsinks for each.

DPoSEKp.png

Underneath that metal plate normally has strips of thermal pad protected with a plastic lid. You install the NVMe in the M.2 port, then remove the plastic lid from the thermal pad and screw the metal piece on top again.

vPnafvC.png

For a SN750 a heatsink is not all that needed, but no reason to not add the cover again to keep the look of the board consistent.

edit: Plus if it is a single plate that covers the whole area, then it looks like the chipset cooling fan would need that piece around it to channel air through those fins bellow it.

Last edited:

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah those long metal pieces under or above the PCIe brackets are covering the M.2 Ports, but it looks like it is a whole piece that covers both rather than separate heatsinks for each.

DPoSEKp.png

Underneath that metal plate normally has strips of thermal pad protected with a plastic lid. You install the NVMe in the M.2 port, then remove the plastic lid from the thermal pad and screw the metal piece on top again.

vPnafvC.png

For a SN750 a heatsink is not all that needed, but no reason to not add the cover again to keep the look of the board consistent.

edit: Plus if it is a single plate that covers the whole area, then it looks like the chipset cooling fan would need that piece around it to channel air through those fins bellow it.
Fuck. I got this opened up but the post doesn't have a screw! Since this has a heat sink would it be a big deal if that's what secures it?

The screw I used in my old build doesn't fit this post

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021
Fuck. I got this opened up but the post doesn't have a screw! Since this has a heat sink would it be a big deal if that's what secures it?

The screw I used in my old build doesn't fit this post
Did the computer come with the accessories for the motherboard? You might have some very small zip-lock bagges with VERY small screws in them, for the NVME.

IF not, I would go back to microcenter and tell them you didn't get the NVME mounting screws. They probably have some on hand they can just give you.

Deaf Spacker

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I have a H150i Elite Capellix AIO with three ML120 RGB PWM fans, I have noticed that when the fans exceed 1300 RPM the middle one starts making a slight noise almost like a helicopter, these don't have ball bearings so I'm wondering if the fan hasn't been tightened enough? I think there's also a slight vibration with that fan too but my eyes may be deceiving me.

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021
I have a H150i Elite Capellix AIO with three ML120 RGB PWM fans, I have noticed that when the fans exceed 1300 RPM the middle one starts making a slight noise almost like a helicopter, these don't have ball bearings so I'm wondering if the fan hasn't been tightened enough? I think there's also a slight vibration with that fan too but my eyes may be deceiving me.
Yeah unfortunately, many fan brands have some consistency issues. Your Corsair AIO has 5 year warranty. I would try to get that fan replaced.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

You can try tightening the screws, but it likely may just be the fan has gone bad.

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021
Yeah the pump itself and the other two fans are fine, I've read so many complaints about this particular pump being noisy but mine is very quiet.

I thought that the ML fans were meant to be very good?
They are good. But, for many fan brands, if you have a few of them, you may find some inconsistencies. Even Noctua.

Personally, I think the most consistent quality, are Be Quiet! brand fans. I've had 5 of them and they all sound great. And even holding them in your hand, they just seem better quality most other brands.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Did the computer come with the accessories for the motherboard? You might have some very small zip-lock bagges with VERY small screws in them, for the NVME.

IF not, I would go back to microcenter and tell them you didn't get the NVME mounting screws. They probably have some on hand they can just give you.
It did not. Unfortunately, it's about 1 hour away, and i've already put it all back together haha. Just got Cyber punk installed. Anyone have rec settings for a 3070 and a 5800x? It defaulted to RT ultra and high texture settings. Ran the benchmark and averaged 55fps.

Also, is like 55C temp normal for a 5800x idling? Playing cyber punk it seemed to hit 70ish

Last edited:

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021
It did not. Unfortunately, it's about 1 hour away, and i've already put it all back together haha. Just got Cyber punk installed. Anyone have rec settings for a 3070 and a 5800x? It defaulted to RT ultra and high texture settings. Ran the benchmark and averaged 55fps.

Also, is like 55C temp normal for a 5800x idling? Playing cyber punk it seemed to hit 70ish
Ryzens idle higher than intel. But 55c is a little higher than I am used to seeing. I would check the mount screws for the water block and see if they aren't tightened all the way.

If that's not the case, then personally, I would remove the block and reinstall it. But you would need some thermal paste on hand, to clean the block and re-apply.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Ryzens idle higher than intel. But 55c is a little higher than I am used to seeing. I would check the mount screws for the water block and see if they aren't tightened all the way.

If that's not the case, then personally, I would remove the block and reinstall it. But you would need some thermal paste on hand, to clean the block and re-apply.
OK, it might just be something weird with the Armoury Crate software. PC has been idle for a bit while i did some other stuff and when i just looked at it, the cpu temp is 42C with the usage at 6%. Seems more normal?

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
I have a very absurd question about high refresh rate monitors. I have a 144hz monitor and whenever a game reaches 60fps, it still looks like a stuttery mess on my PC unless it reaches 72fps, as it's half of the refresh rate and divides evenly and such.

Is it possible that setting the video mode in Nvidia control panel to 120hz results in smoother 60fps? Or should I stick to 144hz and just cap to 72? Thanks!

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021
OK, it might just be something weird with the Armoury Crate software. PC has been idle for a bit while i did some other stuff and when i just looked at it, the cpu temp is 42C with the usage at 6%. Seems more normal?
If you don't want it, you can get rid of armoury crate. Some Asus motherboards have a bios setting which auto-installs it. So, you need to look for that, first. If you want to uninstall it.

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021
I have a very absurd question about high refresh rate monitors. I have a 144hz monitor and whenever a game reaches 60fps, it still looks like a stuttery mess on my PC unless it reaches 72fps, as it's half of the refresh rate and divides evenly and such.

Is it possible that setting the video mode in Nvidia control panel to 120hz results in smoother 60fps? Or should I stick to 144hz and just cap to 72? Thanks!
Does your monitor support Variable Refresh rate?
Does your graphics card support G-sync?

If yes to both, make sure VRR is turned on in your monitor's settings. And make sure its turned on in your Nvidia control panel.

Even if your monitor only says freesync support and otherwise doesn't specifically say G-sync, its pretty likely it will still work.

However-------even without VRR, it would be unusual for 60fps to be "a stuttery mess" on a monitor set to 144hz refresh. When simply talking about how a framerate divides into a refresh rate.

What's more likely happening, is it sounds like you arent really getting close to 144hz and your GPU is probably frequently hitting 100% load, which can cause input lag and sutters.

Additionally, high refresh modes in games can really stress out your CPU and cause the CPU frametimes to be poor, if your overall system can't actually reach the refresh rate which you have set in the game.

So......if you can't even get close to 144hz in a game, you should cap your framerate closer to what your GPU can actually achieve, on average. You will likely have a much smoother experience in game.

you can either set a framerate limit in the Nvidia control panel (even per game), or if the game itself has options, you can set it there.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
If you don't want it, you can get rid of armoury crate. Some Asus motherboards have a bios setting which auto-installs it. So, you need to look for that, first. If you want to uninstall it.
I got rid of most of the pre installed stuff, fortunately there wasn't much!

I kept that though because I assumed it controlled fan speed stuff? If it doesn't do tjay what does? Just stock?

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021
I got rid of most of the pre installed stuff, fortunately there wasn't much!

I kept that though because I assumed it controlled fan speed stuff? If it doesn't do tjay what does? Just stock?
You can control fans in the BIOS. Often its called qfan.quantity.
* you will need to know which fans are connected to which fan headers on your motherboard. Check the manual for the labels of the fan headers.

Last edited:

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
You can control fans in the BIOS. Often its called qfan.quantity.
* you will need to know which fans are connected to which fan headers on your motherboard. Check the manual for the labels of the fan headers.
Funny thing about this pre built, it came with bascially no manual which was wild to me. Asus website doesn't have an English one posted either