• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Just budgetary reasons but the difference isn't that much so I think I can squeeze the 12400 in.
What would you recommend as the motherboard for this build that doesn't cost toooo much?

Asus TUF B560 or MSI B560 Tomahawk for the i5-11400F, you won't have to deal with power limit this way, and VRM performance is excellent for both.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I guess you can make a case for a 5800x because it isn't too expensive, even though I think it's not worth it over a 5600x, but a 5900x is 100% wasted money for gaming. More cores didn't make the 3700x/3900x more futureproof and it won't make the 5800x/5900x more futureproof. Before 8 cores will provide enough benefit these CPUs will be too slow in general.

Take the 12100 for example. It currently outperforms the 3700x, the 8 core CPU from last gen, and provides 80% of the performance of a 5800x. You basically spend 3-4x as much for 20-25% more performance and that's based on 1080p data. At 1440p+ it might be less than 10%. Imagine doing that for a GPU. For an equal amount of money over a given period you generally end up with much higher average performance by upgrading more often.

The difference is not in average framerates, but in concistency and specially for multitasking. I never thought the difference between a 3600 and a 5800x at 1440p with an RTX 3070 would be much, but wow it did make a huge difference in how much smoother everything became. I'm sure it would've been smaller if it was 5600x to 5800x, but yeah, it wasn't much average difference, just an overall much better experience. Sometimes those are harder to see in charts.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
The difference is not in average framerates, but in concistency and specially for multitasking. I never thought the difference between a 3600 and a 5800x at 1440p with an RTX 3070 would be much, but wow it did make a huge difference in how much smoother everything became. I'm sure it would've been smaller if it was 5600x to 5800x, but yeah, it wasn't much average difference, just an overall much better experience. Sometimes those are harder to see in charts.

This is not difference between number of cores, its an improvement from architecture to another, 5000 series offered huge gains in terms of IPC. You would've gotten almost the same jump if you upgraded to 5600X. In a few months we re getting 5800X with stacked memory and according to AMD, its gonna be 15% faster than 5900X even though it has 8 cores vs 12 for the 5900X.

I agree about multitasking and general system use though.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
It probably would be just as smooth if had you upgraded to a 5600x. It's the IPC gains, not the additional cores that's making it smoother.

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
Any feedback on this pre built from best buy? I've always built my own PCs, but with the GPU scarcity, seems like this is the only way. Going to try and sell my current PC and get this, as I have a 10% off coupon. Would be gaming on a 1440p gsync monitor

Can't really comment on pricing, as I'm from Europe. But the PC itself doesn't look great to me.
The GPU should be fine and the CPU is fine as well, but last gen.
The case seems to have bad front intake.
A 120mm AIO is not great
Ram is pretty slow (3000 mhz)
Motherboard looks cheap (based on rear IO)
No info on PSU, but the ketchup and mustard cables reveal that it's a cheap one.

I think you should be able to find something better

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Any feedback on this pre built from best buy? I've always built my own PCs, but with the GPU scarcity, seems like this is the only way. Going to try and sell my current PC and get this, as I have a 10% off coupon. Would be gaming on a 1440p gsync monitor

Can't really comment on pricing, as I'm from Europe. But the PC itself doesn't look great to me.
A 120mm AIO is not great
No info on PSU, but the ketchup and mustard cables reveal that it's a cheap one.

I agree with them ^

Don't worry too much about the RAM speed on an intel system though, 3000mhz is okay. It makes a much bigger difference on Ryzen.

If you want something decent but don't want to pay a ton, look at the ABS prebuilt desktops on Newegg imo

www.newegg.com

ABS Gladiator Gaming PC - Intel i5 11400F - GeForce RTX 3070 - 16GB DDR4 3000MHz - 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD - Newegg.com

Buy ABS Gladiator Gaming PC - Intel i5 11400F - GeForce RTX 3070 - 16GB DDR4 3000MHz - 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
A 120mm AIO is not great

Hmm good info, thanks for taking a look. Is AIO the liquid CPU cooler? Where did you see those details, i can't find specifics on that at all.

You know, looking at it more, maybe i'll just keep trying to get a new GPU. I feel like, even though I can't upgrade to windows 11 (stupid), my CPU is still fine? My current machine is:

i7 6700k
GTX 1070
16 GB DDR4 (2667 speed tho, link)
650w PSU
1 nvme drive
1 ssd
2 HDD in a raid

I just did a PSU calculator and it seems I could still go up to like a 3070 and still have about 100w to spare.

Then again, I have a buddy that might want to buy my current desktop so i'm back to prebuilts lol.

Any thoughts on this one?
www.microcenter.com

ASUS ROG Strix GA35 GA35DX-MB776 Gaming PC Platinum Collection; AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 - Micro Center

Get it now! Dominate game worlds and beyond with the powerful ROG Strix GA35. Action-packed gameplay runs fast and fluid on Windows 10 Pro OS and an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 graphics card, while an 8-core AMD Ryzen 7 5800X CPU accelerates demanding workloads like content creation and heavy...

Last edited:

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
It probably would be just as smooth if had you upgraded to a 5600x. It's the IPC gains, not the additional cores that's making it smoother.

Probably on averages, but not on general system usage. I'm not saying that buying the 5600x doesn't make sense, it really all depends on your use and budget. While more cores doesn't equal better future proofing (and generally that's a fool errand's on its own), say for example a 9900k user has way less reasons to upgrade than a 9400f user right now. It usually happens with CPUs. So if you aren't breaking your bank to go for a tier above, if it's in your budget there's no reason not to go for a 12700 or 5800x above the 12400 or 5600x. It's not like, for example, that price difference can go to the GPU and jump a tier it just... isn't like that anymore.

Duck Sauce

Oct 30, 2017
United States
Finally got my Ryujin 2.

ezgif-7-3a049d54c3.gif

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
I want to build myself a PC for work to basically run a POS system. I need 16 gb of ram, says an i5 equivalent (probably could get an i3 for it at this point). I can just use an integrated GPU. My home PC has ryzen, still worth it for that? What's the cheapest way to get windows now? MY home PC I just kept upgrading and transferring that but I need a new license.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I want to build myself a PC for work to basically run a POS system. I need 16 gb of ram, says an i5 equivalent (probably could get an i3 for it at this point). I can just use an integrated GPU. My home PC has ryzen, still worth it for that? What's the cheapest way to get windows now? MY home PC I just kept upgrading and transferring that but I need a new license.

You can run Windows 10 without a license. The only caveat is that you won't be able to change the desktop background and it'll have a watermark on it.

www.howtogeek.com

You Don’t Need a Product Key to Install and Use Windows 10

Microsoft allows anyone to download Windows 10 for free and install it without a product key. It’ll keep working for the foreseeable future, with only a few small cosmetic restrictions. And you can even pay to upgrade to a licensed copy of Windows 10 after you install it.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
You can run Windows 10 without a license. The only caveat is that you won't be able to change the desktop background and it'll have a watermark on it.

www.howtogeek.com

Microsoft allows anyone to download Windows 10 for free and install it without a product key. It’ll keep working for the foreseeable future, with only a few small cosmetic restrictions. And you can even pay to upgrade to a licensed copy of Windows 10 after you install it.

Heads up: you can change the background by right clicking the image and selecting it as background. You won't be able to personalize the desktop appereance or change the background from that customization menu though.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017

www.howtogeek.com

That's it lol. it's literally going to run a point of sale system the whole time so idgaf. I'll just do that then.

GalvoAg

Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
Any downside to putting a third M2 (980 Pro) into the last lane on an X570 Aorus Master? Already using the other two but this is a better drive than my B lane.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Corsiair is doing a few bundles with 3090fe (not pre-built PC's but parts). You have to get a lot of other Corsair stuff with it. Does come with their new 5000t RGB case and new lighting triangles, which are pretty steep in price, but it's not a terrible price overalll if you're up to entering the corsair ecosystem and were planning a high end build already.

Last edited:

slorelli

Nov 1, 2017
Ohio

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Is it worth it to upgrade from a TN panel to an IPS? I have an AOC Agon AG241QX that I purchased in 2019. I've been looking at the MSI mag274qrf-qd as an upgrade. Have IPS monitors made some decent leaps in input lag and refresh? Is this sort of upgrade even worth it?

https://www.displayninja.com/msi-mag274qrf-qd-review/ this is the monitor I'm considering.

And this is my current monitor - https://www.displayninja.com/aoc-ag241qx-review/

Thank you.

Yes. Even though TN panels usually have a slightly better refresh rate, they have poor colors and don't look as good. IPS panels have come a long way in terms of refresh rate and response times and pretty widely used for gaming nowadays.

I have an IPS monitor (Lenovo Legion Y27q-20, 27" 1440p 165 Hz) and have no issues with any game. I haven't noticed anything in the way of response times or input lag hindering me in Halo Infinite or Guilty Gear Strive (and the latter is a fighting game where input lag is a big thing). The monitor you're looking at seems pretty similar, and it's also Freesync/GSync compatible as well, which is a great feature to have. Like with my monitor, you shouldn't have any frame rate issues with it. You'd probably want to calibrate it for the best experience, though.

Even the rtings review mentions is has very low input lag:
www.rtings.com

MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD Review

The MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD is an excellent gaming monitor. It has a native 165Hz refresh rate with FreeSync and G-SYNC compatibility to reduce screen tearing. Mo...

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Yeah I'm fairly sure it will work in it just don't know if you get full speed in the C lane.

Otherwise I will swap it out with the B or A but would rather not have to if possible.

On X570 there is a dedicated x4 lane to the NVMe 1 slot from the CPU. (This is why on B550 there is a single PCIe 4.0 slot) Any other slots share lanes given by the chipset. So if there is an NVMe SSD you absolutely need to guarantee max bandwidth for at all times, it should be on that first slot. But the reality is that it's incredibly unlikely to be pushing max bandwidth on all NVMe drives simultaneously; your B and C drives should co-exist just fine.

slorelli

Nov 1, 2017
Ohio
Yes. Even though TN panels usually have a slightly better refresh rate, they have poor colors and don't look as good. IPS panels have come a long way in terms of refresh rate and response times and pretty widely used for gaming nowadays.

I have an IPS monitor (Lenovo Legion Y27q-20, 27" 1440p 165 Hz) and have no issues with any game. I haven't noticed anything in the way of response times or input lag hindering me in Halo Infinite or Guilty Gear Strive (and the latter is a fighting game where input lag is a big thing). The monitor you're looking at seems pretty similar, and it's also Freesync/GSync compatible as well, which is a great feature to have. Like with my monitor, you shouldn't have any frame rate issues with it. You'd probably want to calibrate it for the best experience, though.

www.rtings.com

The MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD is an excellent gaming monitor. It has a native 165Hz refresh rate with FreeSync and G-SYNC compatibility to reduce screen tearing. Mo...
Thank you for this response! I'm definitely leaning towards this option. I'm also considering this https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/gaming/27--odyssey-g7-gaming-monitor-lc27g75tqsnxza/

Anyone have good experience with the G7?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Thank you for this response! I'm definitely leaning towards this option. I'm also considering this https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/gaming/27--odyssey-g7-gaming-monitor-lc27g75tqsnxza/

The G7 is a VA panel, but I think I recall some folks liking it. I would check RTINGS though. As usual with VA you get superior contrast but the ghosting and smearing is problematic; as such they are generally recommended for gaming but not for say, sharp text reproduction.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan

I've been using it for half a year now and I think its fantastic with few weaknesses.

pros:

+ Performance is best in class, its still one of the fastest monitors out there. motion is very smooth.
+ Contrast level is above average and better than IPS without local dimming, but amazing with deep blacks when local dimming is on (I will never go back to IPS after this, and there is a reason why better 4K non OLED TVs do use VA not IPS).
+ Some VA monitors could have washed out colors... not the case here as it uses QLED filter to enhance colors, and it has very good factory calibration.
+ One of the few 1440p monitors with HDR600. Granted its semi-HDR and not very impressive, but for the right game its beautiful and an improvement over SDR, it has a local dimming feature (despite it being limited) and decent WCG coverage, which isn't the case for many 1440p monitors.
+ Very easy to use, I connected it to PC and all settings/G-Sync were set on without the need to touch anything (I experimented with settings a lot though).

cons:

- Color bleeds from monitor's edges, but turning on local dimming (which is turned on automatically when HDR is on, or manually if you wish so) solves the issue and improves black uniformity in general to very satisfying level. This is especially true if you are using W11 and auto HDR, as you will get amazing contrast/deep blacks all the time.
- Some people faced flickering issues especially with local dimming on, but Samsung introduced firmware update that solved the issue. Personally, I don't have flickering on W11 even without using the new option (VRR control).
- Scanline issue: in some rare cases scanlines can appear on screen (some examples here), I was able to reproduce the issue in these images but I never faced it in any game or movie/anime or while browsing the web, I don't know what triggers it in these rare cases.
- No speakers

www.rtings.com

The 6 Best Gaming Monitors - Spring 2024: Reviews

The best gaming monitor we've tested is the Dell Alienware AW3225QF. It's a premium monitor that features high-end perks like a 4k resolution, 240Hz refresh rate, and QD-OLED panel, providing both outstanding picture quality and gaming performance.

RTINGS still consider it one of the best gaming monitors even now.

The G7 is a VA panel, but I think I recall some folks liking it. I would check RTINGS though. As usual with VA you get superior contrast but the ghosting and smearing is problematic; as such they are generally recommended for gaming but not for say, sharp text reproduction.

Not this one though.
This monitor has no ghosting or smearing unlike other VA panels.

Last edited:

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I currently have a 5600x, x570 mobo, w/ a 3080, 1440p and 4k gaming. Been mulling around the idea of upgrading the 5600x, is making the move to a 5800x worth it, or does it make more sense to scrap the AMD setup, and pick up a new intel chip / mobo, like a 12600k w/ z690 mobo or something? Also doing nothing is an option lol.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I currently have a 5600x, x570 mobo, w/ a 3080, 1440p and 4k gaming. Been mulling around the idea of upgrading the 5600x, is making the move to a 5800x worth it, or does it make more sense to scrap the AMD setup, and pick up a new intel chip / mobo, like a 12600k w/ z690 mobo or something? Also doing nothing is an option lol.
Please quote me too, anyone who is responding to this :D

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

A 5600x is pretty good for gaming, but in the coming years new games will likely utilize more cores. Also, if you multitask a lot and do more than only play PC games (you have Discord/web browsers open and constantly alt tab to them while gaming, stream on Twitch, or use your PC for intensive work related things), then a 5800x makes more sense. I went from 5600x to 5800x and don't really regret it, though I miss the lower temps the 5600x had.

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
A 5600x is pretty good for gaming, but in the coming years new games will likely utilize more cores. Also, if you multitask a lot and do more than only play PC games (you have Discord/web browsers open and constantly alt tab to them while gaming, stream on Twitch, or use your PC for intensive work related things), then a 5800x makes more sense. I went from 5600x to 5800x and don't really regret it, though I miss the lower temps the 5600x had.

I don't stream to Twitch, I do stream a game once in a while for my buddies to watch via Discord, I edit some HD/4k video from a GoPro once in a while, so maybe the 5600x is fine for now. I do however sim race in VR with a HP Reverb G2, and noticed a huge FPS increase going from a 3700x to the 5600x, maybe the 5800x would help there, I think sim racing atm is mostly single threaded.

Which cooler are you using with the 5800x now? I have the Noctua NH-UH12A, temps have been pretty good with the 5600x, 50C +/- gaming.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I don't stream to Twitch, I do stream a game once in a while for my buddies to watch via Discord, I edit some HD/4k video from a GoPro once in a while, so maybe the 5600x is fine for now. I do however sim race in VR with a HP Reverb G2, and noticed a huge FPS increase going from a 3700x to the 5600x, maybe the 5800x would help there, I think sim racing atm is mostly single threaded.

Which cooler are you using with the 5800x now? I have the Noctua NH-UH12A, temps have been pretty good with the 5600x, 50C +/- gaming.

I use an EK-AIO 240. Idle temps usually in the high 30s/low 40s, on load it'll hit mid 70s, low 80s in Cinebench. But the 5800x will always be hotter than the 5600x because of its design.

slorelli

Nov 1, 2017
Ohio
I've been using it for half a year now and I think its fantastic with few weaknesses.

pros:

+ Performance is best in class, its still one of the fastest monitors out there. motion is very smooth.
+ Contrast level is above average and better than IPS without local dimming, but amazing with deep blacks when local dimming is on (I will never go back to IPS after this, and there is a reason why better 4K non OLED TVs do use VA not IPS).
+ Some VA monitors could have washed out colors... not the case here as it uses QLED filter to enhance colors, and it has very good factory calibration.
+ One of the few 1440p monitors with HDR600. Granted its semi-HDR and not very impressive, but for the right game its beautiful and an improvement over SDR, it has a local dimming feature (despite it being limited) and decent WCG coverage, which isn't the case for many 1440p monitors.
+ Very easy to use, I connected it to PC and all settings/G-Sync were set on without the need to touch anything (I experimented with settings a lot though).

cons:

- Color bleeds from monitor's edges, but turning on local dimming (which is turned on automatically when HDR is on, or manually if you wish so) solves the issue and improves black uniformity in general to very satisfying level. This is especially true if you are using W11 and auto HDR, as you will get amazing contrast/deep blacks all the time.
- Some people faced flickering issues especially with local dimming on, but Samsung introduced firmware update that solved the issue. Personally, I don't have flickering on W11 even without using the new option (VRR control).
- Scanline issue: in some rare cases scanlines can appear on screen (some examples here), I was able to reproduce the issue in these images but I never faced it in any game or movie/anime or while browsing the web, I don't know what triggers it in these rare cases.
- No speakers

www.rtings.com

The 6 Best Gaming Monitors - Spring 2024: Reviews

The best gaming monitor we've tested is the Dell Alienware AW3225QF. It's a premium monitor that features high-end perks like a 4k resolution, 240Hz refresh rate, and QD-OLED panel, providing both outstanding picture quality and gaming performance.

RTINGS still consider it one of the best gaming monitors even now.

Not this one though.
This monitor has no ghosting or smearing unlike other VA panels.
Thank you for this info! It seems like the G7 is pretty well priced right now at under 600$ for what it offers. I just feel like I'm not getting the most out of my setup with my current monitor. It does it's job at 1440p 144hz but it is still a 5 year old TN panel. I mostly play FPS and RTS games, so I was just concerned about input lag and response while playing fps which appears to be a non issue.

Is there any reason to delay purchasing a monitor in lieu of upcoming models releasing soon? I don't see myself jumping to 4k yet since 1440p is just now slowly becoming the sweet spot for competitive PC gaming.

Last edited:

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Thank you for this info! It seems like the G7 is pretty well priced right now at under 600$ for what it offers. I just feel like I'm not getting the most out of my setup with my current monitor. It does it's job at 1440p 144hz but it is still a 5 year old TN panel. I mostly play FPS and RTS games, so I was just concerned about input lag and response while playing fps which appears to be a non issue.

Is there any reason to delay purchasing a monitor in lieu of upcoming models releasing soon? I don't see myself jumping to 4k yet since 1440p is just now slowly becoming the sweet spot for competitive PC gaming.

I don't know if there is something better coming, but I think there are plenty of great 1440p options to choose from right now. I agree with you about 1440p and I think performance/low input lag are actually the strongest area for this monitor despite it being VA panel.

slorelli

Nov 1, 2017
Ohio
I don't know if there is something better coming, but I think there are plenty of great 1440p options to choose from right now. I agree with you about 1440p and I think performance/low input lag are actually the strongest area for this monitor despite it being VA panel.
I just didn't want to pull the trigger if there were other more superior models on the horizon. I did some searching and it seems most of the monitors coming soon are big screen 4k models with very high price tags. I have a 3080/5900x setup so I won't be really pushing frames beyond the 144-200fps range in most 1440p games anyway, so 4k really isn't something I'm in a rush for.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
In a similar situation. Always waiting for some new good 1440p option knowing that most of the top things now are a year/couple years old at this point. Don't ever expect HDR in the size/resolution, but also doesn't seem like everything is progressed as far as it will. I should have just gone with the g7 at launch but don't like how aggressive the curve is.

GeezyAF

Oct 28, 2017
I just didn't want to pull the trigger if there were other more superior models on the horizon. I did some searching and it seems most of the monitors coming soon are big screen 4k models with very high price tags. I have a 3080/5900x setup so I won't be really pushing frames beyond the 144-200fps range in most 1440p games anyway, so 4k really isn't something I'm in a rush for.
HUB just did a recap for best monitors for early 2022. Personally, I own the PG279QM from the list.

www.youtube.com

Best 1440p Gaming Monitors, Plus Great Value Picks [Early 2022]

Support us on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/hardwareunboxedJoin us on Floatplane: https://www.floatplane.com/channel/HardwareUnboxedBuy relevant products ...

Oct 25, 2017
I almost pulled the trigger on a monitor the other day and then remembered how much I just spent on my PC build.......all this monitor talk is tempting but the sale is over for now anyway.....unless a stellar deal pops up in Canada

slorelli

Nov 1, 2017
Ohio
Do IPS monitors struggle in dark lit rooms? I will be primarily playing in the dark and I've narrowed my choices to the Samsung G7 or Acer Predator XC273U.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Do IPS monitors struggle in dark lit rooms? I will be primarily playing in the dark and I've narrowed my choices to the Samsung G7 or Acer Predator XC273U.

I haven't had an issue, and I've used my monitor in the dark plenty of times. In fact, I had to reduce the brightness level of my monitor because the default setting was too bright.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10

Depends on how sensitive you are about contrast and black levels. I'm used to VA panels and when I wanted to upgrade monitors a couple years back I tried a couple IPS monitors because that's what most people recommend and the blacks are not very dark. Lots of backlight glow. I hated playing anything in a dim setting, like skulking through a dim cave in Morrowind, because the darkness didn't look very dark and the contrast was bad. I ended up getting a VA panel and have been much happier.

jim2011

Oct 27, 2017
Any suggestion for a smaller build PC that can fit and power my existing RTX 2080? Ideally, I don't want to have to assemble the motherboard, processor, and case. I'm fine with RAM, HDD, and GPU installation.

GalvoAg

Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
Definitely recommend going the G7 route, love mine and I tried a couple IPS before but returned them for the G7. Blacks where the big killer for me playing a lot of single player games.

Will say I went through two G7's before I got the right one. Apparently it has gotten better but it was a crap shoot when they first came out. Having said that it has been perfect since 2020 for me, prefer gaming on it to my OLED hands down.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Any suggestion for a smaller build PC that can fit and power my existing RTX 2080? Ideally, I don't want to have to assemble the motherboard, processor, and case. I'm fine with RAM, HDD, and GPU installation.

Looking for a SFF build? Cooler Master NR200 is a very popular case.

Check out this post for more ideas:

www.resetera.com

Small Form Factor "Gaming" PC Thread (AKA HTPC) OT

Here are some useful resources that could be included in the OT whenever OP is unbanned and decides to update: SFF List - Google Sheets: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AddRvGWJ_f4B6UC7_IftDiVudVc8CJ8sxLUqlxVsCz4/edit#gid=1459265577 A well curated spreadsheet with separate sheets for...

Oct 25, 2017
Got a cheap Logitech 2.1 speaker system and it works fine so the issue I was having with the older 5.1 speakers must be an issue with the speakers themselves and not my PC.

Ah well

For 30 dollars Canadian they seem pretty good, much better than the built in speakers on the monitor!

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
GPU woes continue and I don't really know what the best course of action is.

Quick recap: my 1080 Ti (literally) cooked itself, I suspect something wrong with the card itself. I've replaced it with an RTX 3070. Ever since installing the 3070 I get weird display driver issues, usually manifesting as the computer stalling for 5 or so seconds, the screen or window going dark, flashing, and then returning to normal. It's very easily triggerable by rapidly dragging a window back and forth (eg: Chrome or Steam). Sometimes the whole monitor freezes and flashes, sometimes its just the window itself (while the mouse pointer remains visible and moveable, though cannot interact with anything).

From my tinkering and testing I've observed the following:
- Monitoring software shows an aggressive GPU usage spike to 100% every time this occurs.
- Event monitor displays the warning message "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."
- It's always present but wildly inconsistent in how regularly it impacts activity (eg: it's happened 3 times just typing this post, no moving windows)
- Some games are perfectly playable, others are not. EG: Dying Light 2 has no performance or crash issues even maxed out and stressing the GPU. Rocket League has very infrequent but nevertheless existing crashes seemingly from the same driver issue. Cyberpunk is straight up unplayable after the latest patch and crashes regularly, same driver issue. Some games have had no crashes or issue at all.
- I've done a clean install of Windows 10 to ensure no driver issues. This hasn't helped.
- Research has been useless. The "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." error is apparently notorious and could be a million things. Some suggested underclocking the card to see if it's a stability issue. Tried it, didn't work.
- I have no way to test any other component as I do not have spares.

So basically I don't know if it's the GPU that's 100% at fault and I should send it back for warranty. Or if it's a clash with other components (eg: MBO) that have issues or damage from my previous GPU shitting the bed.

Within the next two - three weeks I'm going to be buying an entirely new MBO/CPU/RAM setup, so my gut says I should just wait until then and see if the GPU issue continue. If it reoccurs on a new setup I'll send it back.

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia

IPS are the brightest monitors typically, both in the actual driver and the fact that they maintain the best viewing angles. The issue isn't "can I see it" but simply contrast: in a dark room, black will have a noticeable "glow" because the contrast ratio is lower than VA.

For 30 dollars Canadian they seem pretty good, much better than the built in speakers on the monitor!

The sad truth is that virtually every monitor speaker is basically a cheapo laptop speaker, for both cost and size reasons. There is actually nothing stopping them from doing great speakers - see Apple's lineup - but it's always a backup feature. So yeah, unfortunately even a discount 2.1 set is going to do way better.

Quick recap: my 1080 Ti (literally) cooked itself, I suspect something wrong with the card itself. I've replaced it with an RTX 3070. Ever since installing the 3070 I get weird display driver issues, usually manifesting as the computer stalling for 5 or so seconds, the screen or window going dark, flashing, and then returning to normal. It's very easily triggerable by rapidly dragging a window back and forth (eg: Chrome or Steam). Sometimes the whole monitor freezes and flashes, sometimes its just the window itself (while the mouse pointer remains visible and moveable, though cannot interact with anything).

- Monitoring software shows an aggressive GPU usage spike to 100% every time this occurs.
- Event monitor displays the warning message "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."
- It's always present but wildly inconsistent in how regularly it impacts activity (eg: it's happened 3 times just typing this post, no moving windows)
- Some games are perfectly playable, others are not. EG: Dying Light 2 has no performance or crash issues even maxed out and stressing the GPU. Rocket League has very infrequent but nevertheless existing crashes seemingly from the same driver issue. Cyberpunk is straight up unplayable after the latest patch and crashes regularly, same driver issue. Some games have had no crashes or issue at all.
- I've done a clean install of Windows 10 to ensure no driver issues. This hasn't helped.
- Research has been useless. The "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." error is apparently notorious and could be a million things. Some suggested underclocking the card to see if it's a stability issue. Tried it, didn't work.

So basically I don't know if it's the GPU that's 100% at fault and I should send it back for warranty. Or if it's a clash with other components (eg: MBO) that have issues or damage from my previous GPU shitting the bed.

Within the next two - three weeks I'm going to be buying an entirely new MBO/CPU/RAM setup, so my gut says I should just wait until then and see if the GPU issue continue. If it reoccurs on a new setup I'll send it back.

The stalling (and clean Windows 10 install) unfortunately points at your video card (or worse, motherboard). Usually the only recourse at this point would be to put the card in a different PC and see if it still happens. A local RMA can do this but if you're in the US or Canada then no choice but to do a mail in and ship it off. You could still be wrong - the motherboard could be the problem - but the feedback from the RMA should tell you.

Realistically if you don't have another motherboard or PC to test with, the RMA is your best option. There are only two longshots I can think of:
  1. Do a Windows offline install (disconnect ethernet, install windows, install drivers from USB, then connect to the web). But usually that is only good for stopping weird driver conflicts.
  2. Install to different storage. Even if it's just a SATA hard drive. If your current main is toast this could explain the kernel problem. But again, unlikely.
Since you are buying a new MB/CPU setup, I agree; wait on that and then try before doing a GPU RMA. You're going to lose time but I can't say I've ever heard of an RMA with < 3 weeks turnaround time. (The only reason I would act now on the 3070 would be if you had some kind of store or amazon warranty and could get an immediate replacement)

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
Hi guys, was hoping y'all could give me some advice regarding a defective Gigabyte 3070 Ti I purchased as part of a custom build from Newegg. Essentially, there is an issue with the video ports of the card not displaying on my monitor. I had a computer technician look it over today and he was able to conclude theres an issue with the card, not the motherboard.

At this point, I essentially have two options: 1) return the entire PC to Newegg and get a full refund; or 2) Remove the graphics card and send it directly to Gigabyte for them to repair it and send it back to me as part of my warranty.

Its been a while since i had purchased any PC components through Newegg; I always had decent experiences in the past so I figured I would order the PC through them and have their ENIAC partner assemble it for me. This has been just a massive nightmare scenario of horrible customer service; I received the PC last Thursday and STILL have not (nor any reps at Newegg) been able to get in touch with anyone at ENIAC who assembled this thing. The technician told me the bios was 20 versions out of date, so clearly no one there really cared or tried when assembling this. As such I am not too thrilled to work with them again on ordering a new PC.

On the other hand, I have no experience sending individual parts out for repairs. Ideally I would like to keep the computer and not have to pack it all up, but I have to fully pay to ship the card out and any shipping damage is on me. Does anyone else have experience with Gigabyte repairs?

Thanks

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
The stalling (and clean Windows 10 install) unfortunately points at your video card (or worse, motherboard). Usually the only recourse at this point would be to put the card in a different PC and see if it still happens. A local RMA can do this but if you're in the US or Canada then no choice but to do a mail in and ship it off. You could still be wrong - the motherboard could be the problem - but the feedback from the RMA should tell you.

Realistically if you don't have another motherboard or PC to test with, the RMA is your best option. There are only two longshots I can think of:
  1. Do a Windows offline install (disconnect ethernet, install windows, install drivers from USB, then connect to the web). But usually that is only good for stopping weird driver conflicts.
  2. Install to different storage. Even if it's just a SATA hard drive. If your current main is toast this could explain the kernel problem. But again, unlikely.
Since you are buying a new MB/CPU setup, I agree; wait on that and then try before doing a GPU RMA. You're going to lose time but I can't say I've ever heard of an RMA with < 3 weeks turnaround time. (The only reason I would act now on the 3070 would be if you had some kind of store or amazon warranty and could get an immediate replacement)

Good advice and exactly how I feel. I did the Windows 10 fresh install offline to ensure everything was installed cleanly. It might be the drive I have Windows installed on, but yeah, my gut says it's the GPU or MBO.

Fortunately Australian consumer laws guarantee me a one year warranty on all tech, so if the GPU is fucked they'll replace it. And ASUS have a limited 3 year warranty that should cover any issues. I had full intention to upgrade anyway, but held off due to costs. This tipped me over the edge. If the GPU is fried I'll know by the end of next week.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Hi guys, was hoping y'all could give me some advice regarding a defective Gigabyte 3070 Ti I purchased as part of a custom build from Newegg. Essentially, there is an issue with the video ports of the card not displaying on my monitor. I had a computer technician look it over today and he was able to conclude theres an issue with the card, not the motherboard.

At this point, I essentially have two options: 1) return the entire PC to Newegg and get a full refund; or 2) Remove the graphics card and send it directly to Gigabyte for them to repair it and send it back to me as part of my warranty.

Its been a while since i had purchased any PC components through Newegg; I always had decent experiences in the past so I figured I would order the PC through them and have their ENIAC partner assemble it for me. This has been just a massive nightmare scenario of horrible customer service; I received the PC last Thursday and STILL have not (nor any reps at Newegg) been able to get in touch with anyone at ENIAC who assembled this thing. The technician told me the bios was 20 versions out of date, so clearly no one there really cared or tried when assembling this. As such I am not too thrilled to work with them again on ordering a new PC.

On the other hand, I have no experience sending individual parts out for repairs. Ideally I would like to keep the computer and not have to pack it all up, but I have to fully pay to ship the card out and any shipping damage is on me. Does anyone else have experience with Gigabyte repairs?

Thanks

Newegg is notorious for being incredibly shitty with defective products and their return policy (see the Gamers Nexus debacle). You'd probably have better luck sending it to Gigabyte since the card is still under warranty. Unfortunately, I have no experience with their repair process.

Have you tried doing any troubleshooting yourself? Does the card show up as a listed device in device manager? Do the fans spin on when the PC is on? Have you tried uninstalling drivers using DDU and reinstalling the drivers? Did you try using different Displayport or HDMI cables? I guess the technician you brought the PC to must have done all of this.

Cranzor

Oct 25, 2017
Any thoughts on this budget build? I want it as my main PC, used for some hobbies like making music, game dev, and art. Probably some light gaming as well. I'm thinking the 5600G should be powerful enough for my use case but not totally sure. For example, I'm not exactly sure how it might hold up using something like Blender. I also want to have a PC that is a good fit for putting in a GPU later on if I choose to do so.

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021
Big quote chain incoming...
This is not difference between number of cores, its an improvement from architecture to another, 5000 series offered huge gains in terms of IPC. You would've gotten almost the same jump if you upgraded to 5600X. In a few months we re getting 5800X with stacked memory and according to AMD, its gonna be 15% faster than 5900X even though it has 8 cores vs 12 for the 5900X.

I agree about multitasking and general system use though.
Indeed, its the architectural improvements. And not just the IPC and clockspeed improvements. But specifically, the cache. Zen 2 already had a lot of cache, which helped it perform as well as it did. But, the cache in Zen 3 is now totally unified. So, all cores have access to all of the cache, all of the time. Whereas with Zen 2, the cache was split evenly between each CCX (group of cores). Unified cache improves performance of the cores. They also added even more total cache for Zen 3. So its a really big reason for the performance improvements. 5600g and 5700g have their cache cut in half. So, you can get an interesting view of how important the cache size is, to Ryzen.

Hmm good info, thanks for taking a look. Is AIO the liquid CPU cooler? Where did you see those details, i can't find specifics on that at all.

You know, looking at it more, maybe i'll just keep trying to get a new GPU. I feel like, even though I can't upgrade to windows 11 (stupid), my CPU is still fine? My current machine is:

i7 6700k
GTX 1070
16 GB DDR4 (2667 speed tho, link)
650w PSU
1 nvme drive
1 ssd
2 HDD in a raid

I just did a PSU calculator and it seems I could still go up to like a 3070 and still have about 100w to spare.

Then again, I have a buddy that might want to buy my current desktop so i'm back to prebuilts lol.

Any thoughts on this one?
www.microcenter.com

ASUS ROG Strix GA35 GA35DX-MB776 Gaming PC Platinum Collection; AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 - Micro Center

Get it now! Dominate game worlds and beyond with the powerful ROG Strix GA35. Action-packed gameplay runs fast and fluid on Windows 10 Pro OS and an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 graphics card, while an 8-core AMD Ryzen 7 5800X CPU accelerates demanding workloads like content creation and heavy...

A. a 6700k will bottleneck a 3070 pretty often.

B. Regarding the Asus Ryzen system: This particular one has some real nice stuff, mostly where it counts. It comes with a legit nice X570 mohterboard. Good AIO. Decent Power supply, which is likely made by Great Wall (a quality OEM which makes power supplies for Corsair and some other companies). A 3070. And a 5800x. The RAM looks to be fine. I dunno what it is. I would be very surprised if the SSD was a PCI-E 4.0 unit. However, a quick call to your local microcenter should clear that up.
Really----its a pretty solid buy for the money. And there isn't really anything you would need to do with it, to make it right. When you get it, you should check all the cable attachements, waterblock screws, etc, to make sure its all tighten down like it should be.

However, there is another Asus product which will take a little extra to make it right. But, If you ultimately value gaming/graphics, It could be a better purchase, in the end. one of these from Best Buy. (Or ask Microcenter if they have something similar):
These also come with really nice motherboards. This one, in fact: https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b560-g-gaming-wifi-model/
It comes with an Asus TUF 3080. a lot more powerful than the 3070 and it may be better use of your money.
11700KF is very similar performance as a 5800x. Technically, the 5800x is better. But you wouldn't ever be able to tell the difference, unless you were timing long video renders or something like that.
The RAM is barebones RAM. It won't have low timings and it doesn't look nice with heatspreaders. But its fine. Its also half the amount of the other system.
smaller SSD
The CPU cooler is garbage. You will need to get something better or the CPU will throttle and lose a lot of performance in order to manage heat.
It comes with a quality PSU from Great Wall
The case reportedly is not the most friendly for adding fans and whatnot.

Your choice!

Probably on averages, but not on general system usage. I'm not saying that buying the 5600x doesn't make sense, it really all depends on your use and budget. While more cores doesn't equal better future proofing (and generally that's a fool errand's on its own), say for example a 9900k user has way less reasons to upgrade than a 9400f user right now. It usually happens with CPUs. So if you aren't breaking your bank to go for a tier above, if it's in your budget there's no reason not to go for a 12700 or 5800x above the 12400 or 5600x. It's not like, for example, that price difference can go to the GPU and jump a tier it just... isn't like that anymore.
Anyone with a 5600x should not feel bad about not having 8 or more cores. In the majority of games, the differences in average framerates and minimum framerates, between a 5600x and all of the higher core ryzens----is negligible. 5600x has so much cache and clockspeed on tap, it satisfies most of the general performance milestones which games and software need under the hood, so to speak.
I seriously doubt anyone in a double blind test could tell a difference in average Windows OS use. But, even if you can....I don't think its necessarily worth the price premium.
Streaming to twitch or having Discord on the side, doesn't take that much CPU, if you aren't doing the encoding on the CPU cores. If you are doing the encoding on your GPU or in the case of Intel----on the integrated GPU: A 6 core Zen 3 or 6 core 11/12 series Intel will not show performance issues in games. Encoding on the CPU cores and playing games on the same machine, can even be an issue with the 12 core ryzens.

You can get Windows licenses for like $12 - $15 on grey market sites like CD keys or CJS keys. The money you pay them may not exactly be going to microsoft. But those two sites are otherwise totally safe to buy stuff from.

However, if the mods around here don't want those two sites talked about, please shoot me a PM.

Is it worth it to upgrade from a TN panel to an IPS? I have an AOC Agon AG241QX that I purchased in 2019. I've been looking at the MSI mag274qrf-qd as an upgrade. Have IPS monitors made some decent leaps in input lag and refresh? Is this sort of upgrade even worth it?

https://www.displayninja.com/msi-mag274qrf-qd-review/ this is the monitor I'm considering.

And this is my current monitor - https://www.displayninja.com/aoc-ag241qx-review/

Thank you.
Unless you have a really nice TN panel------you are likely missing out on color accuracy, color volume, color saturation, etc. And the viewing angles can be so bad that, even sitting directly centered----the right/left sides could still be washing out.

IPS panels are really good nowadays. You probably won't miss a TN, unless you are pushing 200hz or more. Its at that point that IPS response times can struggle to actually deliver the true experience. Unless you buy the absolute top tier panels.

www.rtings.com

The Lenovo Y27q has the same Panel in it as LG's best monitor for 2020. Its nice.
Most monitors have good input lag nowadays. But there are some strange ones. Many Asus monitors have bad input lag at 60hz So, they wouldn't be a great choice if you play a lot of games which don't allow framerates above 60.

The G7 models are impressive. Their lower models are junk. LIke, even worse than some past VA monitors.

Compared to a 5600x ---- at 1440p, you won't actually notice any difference in the majority of games. At 4K, you won't ever notice the difference, unless its a game which absolutely loves cores. Of which there are only a small number that I can think of.

I don't think the upgrade is worth it. I would wait until later this year, when Zen 4 and Raptor Lake arrive.

The 5600x is Zen 3. The generational improvements over the Zen 3700x are quite large. A 5800x likely won't make much more difference for you. However, Since you mentioned Sim Racing, I woudl look around and see if someone has some benchmarks. You might be playing one of the few games which truly loves extra cores. And not just the extra cache, which the 5600x already has.

IPS generally aren't as good in dark rooms. However, some panel manage glow and light leakage better than others. I have a 240hz 1080p monitor from Monoprice's Dark Matter series. And its surprisingly solid in a dark room. But is also not IPS. its an AHVA panel (which is IPS-like. Its not at all related to a VA panel).

GPU woes continue and I don't really know what the best course of action is.

Try updating the bios. Your system is old enough that if you are still on a very old bios, the motherboard may have problems with UEFI devices. And they probably fixed it with a bios update. Some of Nvidia's 10 series GPUs themselves had to get firmware updates, to fix UEFI issues.

It may not end up being your issue. But a BIOS update is a real easy thing to do and they often fix various issues.

Thanks
Gigabyte is pretty good about RMAs, albeit a bit slow.

However, since GPUs are in short supply, you may have to wait longer. I would ask Newegg if they have any extra systems on hand and see if you can exhange the whole system now. Rather than waiting on a GPU.