• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
I paired my 3090 with a 5800x and love it. Had a 5900x, but I caught a sale at microcenter amd got the 5800x for $360. 5900x would have been overkill and certainly not worth nearly $200 extra.

Yeah, its a no brainer at this price and a fantastic cpu, I'm also planning to upgrade to 5800x sometime next year, its price is much cheaper now than it was before which is very tempting to me as its only slightly more expensive than 5600x, it will help me push for a better high refresh rate gameplay when i get a new monitor. improvements compared to my 3900XT can reach 20% in some games even at 1440p. and i would have a better chance to survive a gpu upgrade in the future without building a whole new computer. many people find it to be an odd choice between the two others but it is the sweet spot in my eyes.

I built my PC in 2015, and haven't upgraded since, so I currently have an ASRock Z97 Extreme6 (mobo), Intel i7-4790, 16 gb DDR3 RAM, and a 650w power supply. Could someone suggest a new mobo, CPU, set of RAM, and power supply (if 650w is inadequate, that is)? I don't have a budget really, but would prefer the parts to be fairly available so I could order soon.

You certainly need a new Power Supply, EVGA's 3080 can consume as much as 450W if you want to overclock ,and if you don't, it would need 370W still when pushed to full load, so you are looking for comfortably more than 500W consumption with the CPU, this power should be provided by the PSU's 12V rail alone. I strongly recommend at least 850W Gold PSU, as some people faced issues even with 750W PSUs with those cards. I use Seasonic Focus and it has been great, but people are also recommending Corsair strongly.

For a Ryzen CPU if you want X570 mobo (for better PCIe 4 support), then there are multiple decent and affordable options like MSI MPG or Asus TUF, but if you don't want to deal with a chipset fan, and don't mind less support for PCIe4, then there are many B550 boards that are more than capable of dealing with any CPU and will provide you with all the features you need including PCIe4 and the ability to use at least one M.2 gen 4 SSD. I think it would be preferable to look for a board that supports Bios flashback, so you would be able to flash the board's bios to support Ryzen 5xxx cpus without installing an old cpu first.

For cpu, Ryzen 5600x, Ryzen 5800x, Ryzen 5900x will all perform almost the same at 1440p ultra or 4k, so choose which one suits your needs better, in gaming they will perform around the same. I recommend them over Intel right now because their power consumption is much better and their performance is about equal or slightly better depending on the game. Waiting for Alder Lake is not a bad idea at all, but if you decided to pull the trigger now, Zen 3 won't disappoint you as well. they will push your 3080 to its maximum ability. For ram look for a DDR4 3600mhz CL16 kit.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Follow-up question: is it stupid and insane to try to plot out a mini ITX build with a 300mm gpu (EVGA 3080 FTW3)? I was looking at the SSUPD Meshlicious and I really like the form factor and cooling, but I'm a little worried about using the M2 slot on the back of the mb if it's sandwiched between the board and the GPU. And I'd want to use both slots, eventually.

Kinda feels like all signs are pointing to either yes, quite insane or no, but it'll be a really tight/hot build, but dang that small footprint is attractive.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I made my peace with not finding a affordable rtx 3xxx card at any time but all my parts sans the case and ryzen cpu are purchased and either already been delivered or are on the way.

I have to ask because I'm still mulling over picking up a 5600x CPU and use my old GTX 1050ti for now when I can get a 5600g APU and settle with its integrated graphics until I find a video card I want.

I looked up the specs of both the 5600X and G and the differences seems negligible. My thought is that if I have settle with a 5 year old mid/low-range video card anyway then how much better is that over getting a similar running APU with integrated graphics?

To put it another perspective: my current build is almost a decade old and is running with an Intel i5 2500K cpu so anything at this point should be a massive performance jump. Worse case scenario is I can't play the latest games in medium graphics settings but honestly that's what I'm dealing with right now.

I need a second opinion on this because I'm just about ready to pick up one or the other soon.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
If someone doesn't mind paying $630 for a 3060 and not getting it until October, there's one available now on Amazon.

Look under "more offers" to see the one shipped and sold by Amazon for $630

Amazon.com: PNY GeForce RTX 3060 12GB XLR8 Gaming Revel Epic-X RGB Dual Fan Graphics Card : Electronics

Buy PNY GeForce RTX 3060 12GB XLR8 Gaming Revel Epic-X RGB Dual Fan Graphics Card: Graphics Cards - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases

*I think it's prime members only

CrazyIvan1978

Oct 27, 2017
Wisconsin
So I received my stuff, but did not realize my Hyper 212 Evo needed a new bracket (I bought it in 2012) for the AM4 motherboard. Brackets are out of stock at cooler master. What are my options? Or can someone recommend a better cooler for the Ryzen 7 5800x?
Ended up picking up a Hyper 212 Evo black edition which came with the necessary brackets to make it work with an AM4 board. Goddamn this thing is silky smooth now, and my Silvestone Raven case fans are being controlled by the motherboard now which is so weird as I have been playing with jet noise since 2012…

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
I made my peace with not finding a affordable rtx 3xxx card at any time but all my parts sans the case and ryzen cpu are purchased and either already been delivered or are on the way.

I have to ask because I'm still mulling over picking up a 5600x CPU and use my old GTX 1050ti for now when I can get a 5600g APU and settle with its integrated graphics until I find a video card I want.

I looked up the specs of both the 5600X and G and the differences seems negligible. My thought is that if I have settle with a 5 year old mid/low-range video card anyway then how much better is that over getting a similar running APU with integrated graphics?

To put it another perspective: my current build is almost a decade old and is running with an Intel i5 2500K cpu so anything at this point should be a massive performance jump. Worse case scenario is I can't play the latest games in medium graphics settings but honestly that's what I'm dealing with right now.

I need a second opinion on this because I'm just about ready to pick up one or the other soon.
5600X + 1050Ti for sure. The 5600G looks similar on paper but it has half of the L3 cache size of a 5600X, and that has a measureable performance impact.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I'm starting to think 4k/2160p just isn't worth the performance/power consumption cost.

Comparing 1440p to 2160p.

Framerate - 120fps vs 72fps

Temperatures - 73c vs 49c

Wattage - 89w vs 219w

It's a ridiculous difference for what is essentially a minor boost in clarity (from 2ft on a 28 inch monitor)

I play at 1440p 27" and a 4K 50" Tv depending on the game, both look really great, but 1440p wouldn't look as good at 50". You know where is at? 1800p. Playing at that resolution with the scaling done by the GPU looks very good on a bigger display.

But yeah, sometimes 4K has too much cost to justify. If you're only gonna play on a monitor, I don't know if the jump to 4K is that much worth it.

Jul 7, 2021
I play at 1440p 27" and a 4K 50" Tv depending on the game, both look really great, but 1440p wouldn't look as good at 50". You know where is at? 1800p. Playing at that resolution with the scaling done by the GPU looks very good on a bigger display.

But yeah, sometimes 4K has too much cost to justify. If you're only gonna play on a monitor, I don't know if the jump to 4K is that much worth it.

DLSS drastically changes this equation... I just wish it was in every game.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Hey everyone,

Figured this would be the best place to ask. I just recently indulged in a Ryzen 7 5800x with an NZXT Kraken X63 AIO cooler.

Everything installed fine and it's all plugged in, but the slightest spike in CPU load (say, to 10%) will send my temps into the upper 50s / lower 60s and the radiator fans kick into full speed. This shouldn't be normal, should it?

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Hey everyone,

Figured this would be the best place to ask. I just recently indulged in a Ryzen 7 5800x with an NZXT Kraken X63 AIO cooler.

Everything installed fine and it's all plugged in, but the slightest spike in CPU load (say, to 10%) will send my temps into the upper 50s / lower 60s and the radiator fans kick into full speed. This shouldn't be normal, should it?

It's kinda normal for Ryzen CPUs, though ymmv based on the silicon lottery and whatnot. I would advice in doing a slight Undervolt, I used CTR for my 3600 with an air cooler and it always stays between 55-65°C with an 1.250mV undervolt and a 4.450Mhz OC depending on load and game.

Also, congrats on the upgrade!

EDIT: In any case, it wouldn't hurt to check the AIO, I'm not the most in the known about water cooling so I wouldn't just dismiss the chance of an issue there, but those spikes in temps aren't all that rare in Ryzen CPUs

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Mindfactory doesnt make it easier to decide which cpu to buy.

5600x 262€
5800x 369€
5900x 469€

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
It's kinda normal for Ryzen CPUs, though ymmv based on the silicon lottery and whatnot. I would advice in doing a slight Undervolt, I used CTR for my 3600 with an air cooler and it always stays between 55-65°C with an 1.250mV undervolt and a 4.450Mhz OC depending on load and game.

Also, congrats on the upgrade!

EDIT: In any case, it wouldn't hurt to check the AIO, I'm not the most in the known about water cooling so I wouldn't just dismiss the chance of an issue there, but those spikes in temps aren't all that rare in Ryzen CPUs
Thanks! Reading online I see high temps are normal for this CPU. I think the real issue is honestly the radiator fans that come with the X63. They're louder than all hell. I swapped them with a couple of SilenX 140mm fans and it running much quieter now

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Hey everyone,

What temps are you monitoring? don't look at the highest temp value as it represents the hottest part of the cpu in that time, look at the avg temp using HWinfo and it would probably be below 50c.

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
I noticed that on my PSU, there are two connectors labeled "MB", one 24pin and one 8pin. I assume for normal use I only need to connect the 24pin, right?

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Hi PC Build era! Any recommendations for a budget-friendly router that's solid for gaming?

The concept of "gaming routers" is essentially a bunch of horseshit. Get any budget-friendly router you want.

Follow-up question: is it stupid and insane to try to plot out a mini ITX build with a 300mm gpu (EVGA 3080 FTW3)? I was looking at the SSUPD Meshlicious and I really like the form factor and cooling, but I'm a little worried about using the M2 slot on the back of the mb if it's sandwiched between the board and the GPU. And I'd want to use both slots, eventually.

Kinda feels like all signs are pointing to either yes, quite insane or no, but it'll be a really tight/hot build, but dang that small footprint is attractive.

I'm sure it'd be fine. How much you paying for that 3080 FTW3? My thing with ITX and 3000 series cards is you're potentially spending way too much on hardware that's known to run hot and needs max cooling but subjecting it to a form factor that maximizes the former and limits the latter unless you're making it water-cooled, which I would highly recommend (seriously, it's way easier than it seems).

On the other hand the higher temps, noise and inevitably lower clocks aren't likely to mean anywhere near significant difference in performance so unless noise is an issue, go for it.

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017
The concept of "gaming routers" is essentially a bunch of horseshit. Get any budget-friendly router you want.
Yeah, I figured a "gaming router" would just break the bank with minimal gains. I'm primarily looking for something that performs well with in-home streaming. Virtual Desktop from my PC to my Quest is my go-to way to play VR, and I'll be sharing the network with my brother who does a lot of streaming while he plays games too.

I came across the TP-Link Archer AX10 which seems to be the most budget-friendly WiFi 6 router as far as I know unless I've missed something better. I'm hoping it will last me at least through this gen if not more.

Link: https://www.microcenter.com/product/632419/tp-link-archer-ax10-wifi-6-ax1500-smart-wifi-router?rf=PDP_altSell+>+Cross_Sell+>+Cross+Sell+Wireless+Routers+Broad

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Yeah, I figured a "gaming router" would just break the bank with minimal gains. I'm primarily looking for something that performs well with in-home streaming. Virtual Desktop from my PC to my Quest is my go-to way to play VR, and I'll be sharing the network with my brother who does a lot of streaming while he plays games too.

I came across the TP-Link Archer AX10 which seems to be the most budget-friendly WiFi 6 router as far as I know unless I've missed something better. I'm hoping it will last me at least through this gen if not more.

Link: https://www.microcenter.com/product/632419/tp-link-archer-ax10-wifi-6-ax1500-smart-wifi-router?rf=PDP_altSell+>+Cross_Sell+>+Cross+Sell+Wireless+Routers+Broad

Unless this same router is available somewhere else for cheaper, you have not missed something better. This will serve all your needs.

Penza058

Nov 2, 2017
New Zealand
I am looking at building a new pc and had a question about cases. I currently have a Fracture Design R5 and really like the brand. Just wondering if there are more compact ones from Fracture that would be suitable for fitting a standard 3080 (and likely only fan cooling if you can do that with a 3080). I am having trouble understanding things like fits "270 mm radiator in the top " means when i look at the cases specifications ect. Cheers.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
I am looking at building a new pc and had a question about cases. I currently have a Fracture Design R5 and really like the brand. Just wondering if there are more compact ones from Fracture that would be suitable for fitting a standard 3080 (and likely only fan cooling if you can do that with a 3080). I am having trouble understanding things like fits "270 mm radiator in the top " means when i look at the cases specifications ect. Cheers.

I think you mean 240mm but if you're not using an AIO or water-cooling then radiators don't apply to you. Otherwise it just means two 120mm fans.

Anyway, yes there are more compact cases but as I just posted: why does it need to be more compact when you're putting a 3000 series card which are known to run hot? Do you absolutely need to save a few square inches of space? If not, reuse your R5.

Penza058

Nov 2, 2017
New Zealand
I think you mean 240mm but if you're not using an AIO or water-cooling then radiators don't apply to you. Otherwise it just means two 120mm fans.

Anyway, yes there are more compact cases but as I just posted: why does it need to be more compact when you're putting a 3000 series card which are known to run hot? Do you absolutely need to save a few square inches of space? If not, reuse your R5.

Thanks for replying.

I just liked that idea of a smaller case. However, I have zero knowledge of how hot these things get (currently just running 1070 and old i5 cpu). What you say makes sense so I definitely can have as big a case as needed. I will still need to use a new case as I have not looked after my current one...there is like rust on the usb ports at the front top of the case only only 2/4 work now lol.

Would you anticipate the fracture compact would be fine? It seems about the same size as an r5, but no as long. Or would the extra length definitely help with fan cooling the gpu ?

The other question I have is what is the best cooled 3080 ? I would prefer to pay more so I have less headaches with cooling as my knowledge of fixing things is limited.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
are we *ever* gonna have affordable GPUs again
My 1660 super still holding out for me. I wanted to upgrade this year but prices are too much.
crying-cry.gif

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Thanks for replying.

I just liked that idea of a smaller case. However, I have zero knowledge of how hot these things get (currently just running 1070 and old i5 cpu). What you say makes sense so I definitely can have as big a case as needed. I will still need to use a new case as I have not looked after my current one...there is like rust on the usb ports at the front top of the case only only 2/4 work now lol.

Would you anticipate the fracture compact would be fine? It seems about the same size as an r5, but no as long. Or would the extra length definitely help with fan cooling the gpu ?

The other question I have is what is the best cooled 3080 ? I would prefer to pay more so I have less headaches with cooling as my knowledge of fixing things is limited.

The cooling differences between the cards are mostly negligible. If it's a 3-fan design it's going to be fine.

Can't speak to Fracture series - compact or otherwise - because I only do custom loops in open air cases. Will throw it out there but if you want max cooling for a compact build, you should get an open air case like Yuel Beast makes: https://yuelbeast.com/

My 1660 super still holding out for me. I wanted to upgrade this year but prices are too much.
crying-cry.gif

Two recommendations:

1. Filter ebay buy-it-now listings geographically close to you or however long you're wiling to travel. Message the seller and ask if they'll accept cash/Venmo/PayPal on the spot with local pickup. They avoid eBay and PayPal fees and make more money and you pay less - a win-win.

2. Check Craigslist. I snagged my 3080Ti FTW3 for like $80 more than I would have paid buying from EVGA with tax and I am many, many months away from landing on the queue.

Last edited:

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan

Its probably the Asus TUF using performance Bios (which actually allows fans to spin faster). though it doesn't necessarily have the best cooling solution, as other top OC cards consume more power. in any case, if low temps is what you want, its the Asus TUF using performance Bios.

are we *ever* gonna have affordable GPUs again

Its really depressing.

Penza058

Nov 2, 2017
New Zealand
Thanks for the above replies in regards to my questions.

There is no obvious issues with the following?:

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor

be quiet! Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler

Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200 CL16

Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 LHR 10 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING LHR Video Card

Fractal Design Define 7 Compact ATX Mid Tower Case

EVGA SuperNOVA GA 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

(have my own monitor already)

I also have a Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" 250GB SSD SATA3 MZ-75E250B that i wanted to still use for installing Windows on. Would this still work with the above motherboard....is it slower than the SN550?

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
You always use both. One is for the entire motherboard and the other is for the CPU.
This is the PSU:

be_quiet__Straight_Power_11_Platinum_750W_001.jpg

The way I understood it is that the P8/P4 one is the one for the CPU that connects at the top of the motherboard. The smaller one labeled "MB" was what I meant, though I see now it's actually smaller than the CPU one. I tried to google it but did not get a totally clear answer, but I guess it might for people who want big overclocks?

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
This is the PSU:

be_quiet__Straight_Power_11_Platinum_750W_001.jpg

The way I understood it is that the P8/P4 one is the one for the CPU that connects at the top of the motherboard. The smaller one labeled "MB" was what I meant, though I see now it's actually smaller than the CPU one. I tried to google it but did not get a totally clear answer, but I guess it might for people who want big overclocks?
Can you check if the 20+4 motherboard power cable is split to two connectors on the other end? Both the MB connectors should be part of the 24pin ATX cable.

I also have a Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" 250GB SSD SATA3 MZ-75E250B that i wanted to still use for installing Windows on. Would this still work with the above motherboard....is it slower than the SN550?
Save some money on the motherboard by getting a $100-120 B550 motherboard instead, the MSI B550M Mortar and the A-Pro are both excellent. You can continue using the SATA drive for sure. But I would suggest using the NVME drive as your OS drive for the faster speed. Additionally, WD recently swapped components in the SN550 drive resulting in slower speed, consider using the extra budget from the motherboard for a better drive like the SN750 or Crucial P5.

You could also get some savings with a cheaper cooler like the Scythe Fuma 2.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I noticed LEDs on Corsair fans are miscolored. If I have white set for everything in Icue (because it's an all-white build), it goes pink-ish or yellow.

I'm hopefully getting replacements from the store, but what causes this? High inner temps in the case, or just bad LEDs?

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
Can you check if the 20+4 motherboard power cable is split to two connectors on the other end? Both the MB connectors should be part of the 24pin ATX cable.
It is. There is the 20+4 that goes in the Motherboard (right?) and then there are also two connectors on the other side and they would fit the MB connectors.

nede-045_nede_045_01_800x800.jpg

Like this.

Last edited:

JustInsane

Oct 27, 2017
Need some help finding a good prebuilt from a reliable source. Has to come from Canada or at least ship to Canada.

Some info - budget cap is $2500CAD including tax and shipping, would like a new graphics card (amd or Nvidia, doesn't matter), a new amd CPU, ssd of course, ram is whatever since I can pop in what I have now, a decent cooler, doesn't need anything fancy like rgb lights or coloured wiring. Pretty much it, don't care about 4k, but would like to play in 1440p at times.

A found some decent looking ones on Newegg, but reading reviews of ACB, they seem very hit or miss. This is the best one I've found, but know nothing of the company - also the value doesn't seem amazing - https://www.newegg.ca/skytech-st-chronosw-0225/p/N82E16883289120

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Need some help finding a good prebuilt from a reliable source. Has to come from Canada or at least ship to Canada.

Some info - budget cap is $2500CAD including tax and shipping, would like a new graphics card (amd or Nvidia, doesn't matter), a new amd CPU, ssd of course, ram is whatever since I can pop in what I have now, a decent cooler, doesn't need anything fancy like rgb lights or coloured wiring. Pretty much it, don't care about 4k, but would like to play in 1440p at times.

A found some decent looking ones on Newegg, but reading reviews of ACB, they seem very hit or miss. This is the best one I've found, but know nothing of the company - also the value doesn't seem amazing - https://www.newegg.ca/skytech-st-chronosw-0225/p/N82E16883289120

RTX 3070 is extremely expensive, but it seems Radeon 6700 XT has a much better price, something like 1100-1200 CAD and maybe cheaper elsewhere? so if you don't mind going with AMD gpu , how about you get the 6700 XT and build the computer yourself? it would end up ~ same price of this computer but with much better components.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020

You were so right, 3200x1800 is beautiful.

1800p, 90+fps, 59c, 108w

Amazing

Oct 27, 2017
I connect my TV to my 2070 super via HDMI for PC Gaming. I also want to connect another monitor to my video card but I only have 1 hdmi slot available on my video card (my main monitor uses displayport.

Is there a switch or splitter that would plug into my HDMI on my video card where I could then plug my TV and 2nd monitor into that switch/splitter?

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017

If you play AAA games (which, to me, the 3080 implies that you may), do not touch the 5600x. Go 5800x as bare minimum to match with that gpu. We have games both new and a few years old that want all the threads you can throw at it for consistent, smooth frame times.

as for the mobo, maybe consider a B550 such as the Asus Strix B550-F or B550-E instead. Heard that the TUF x570 is a bit limited and very budget.

AND, as stated above, consider a better nvme drive as the WD sn550 has some issues.

ALSO, please, please, please do not get a Define 7 for a 3080. 3080's need lots of airflow as they are incredibly hot cards and dump tremendous amounts of heat into the case. Go Meshify 2 instead.

Last edited:

shinbojan

Oct 27, 2017
Upgraded from 1080ti to 3070 and even though it worked nicely in most games, performance in 2077, Legion and Control was terrible. I've checked GPU z and GPU was working in x1 instead of x16. After removing everything from other slots and using the old GPU, I've concluded that the port is damaged.

I am running it in x8 now and getting great results. Do I loose anything by not running it in x16?

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
Upgraded from 1080ti to 3070 and even though it worked nicely in most games, performance in 2077, Legion and Control was terrible. I've checked GPU z and GPU was working in x1 instead of x16. After removing everything from other slots and using the old GPU, I've concluded that the port is damaged.

I am running it in x8 now and getting great results. Do I loose anything by not running it in x16?
pci 4.0 at 8x? Not really (or, at least not now or for a while). pci 3.0 at 8x? You are losing a tiny bit of performance, but like 5% at most.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
If you play AAA games (which, to me, the 3080 implies that you may), do not touch the 5600x. Go 5800x as bare minimum to match with that gpu. We have games both new and a few years old that want all the threads you can throw at it for consistent, smooth frame times.

I don't know about that , there is no game I'm aware of that work on the 16 core processor Ryzen 3950x faster than 5600x. in fact the later is much faster in gaming, and it can outpace even the 10 cores i9-10900k in some games. if you don't do any productivity work, 5600x is totally fine and a great match for any gpu in my opinion. it is the sweet spot for most people right now.

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about that , there is no game I'm aware of that work on the 16 core processor Ryzen 3950x faster than 5600x. in fact the later is much faster in gaming, and it can outpace even the 10 cores i9-10900k in some games. if you don't do any productivity work, 5600x is totally fine and a great match for any gpu in my opinion. it is the sweet spot for most people right now.
I didn't say frame rates, but frame times. It's not about fps charts, it's about user experience. 5600x will hitch and stutter more than a 5800x despite both getting the same average framerate.

And I wholeheartedly disagree with your other statement. Don't pair mid-tier parts with high-end hardware >.> Make a balanced system.

edit: Like, to further harp on this, a 5600x is likely fine on a completely sterile system with absolutely no programs at all besides windows. On a regular person's system with an assortment of background programs and processes consuming threads while then trying to run a AAA game that wants as many cores as you can give it? That won't be a great time.

On the other end of things, if you have 3080 money then you have i7/Ryzen 7/i9/Ryzen 9 money.

Last edited: