• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
Finally able to snag a 3070. Here's my build. It's basically the AMD $1.5k/$2k build in the OP:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
MSI MAG B550M MORTAR Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
MSI GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB SUPRIM Video Card
Fractal Design Define 7 Compact ATX Mid Tower Case
Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

I also got a Gigabyte M27Q this spring just before my current rig went kablooey.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
So my computer was crashing every few seconds to every few hours and no matter what I did I couldn't determine wtf was happening so I took it into an actual shop which is not something I've done since I was a teenager I'm pretty sure.

They've determined it was the mobo, was an MSI x570-A Pro and they've recommended B460M as a replacement, should I have any reason to hesitate going ahead with that?
It's a very odd replacement. For starters B460 is for intel CPUs, so what's happening to your Ryzen CPU? If you want to keep it you should be going for another x570 or a B550.

On the other hand, it is also a downgrade. B460 is a generation behind the current intel boards which have pcie 4.0 (which the x570 also has). If going intel is part of the plan and you want to have the same features you should be going B560 ( I think these are not out yet), H570, Z590, or also some Z490 boards, but a 11th gen intel CPU for sure.

What is your CPU? That's the most important question, because if you have a $300 or or above AMD processor then keeping that is more important than saving money by going for a budget board like a B460 and still having to pay for a new CPU.

Last edited:

Thwomp

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
my new pc build keeps crashing for some reason, my monitors go black but i can still hear audio from games/youtube in the background.

everything in my pc is new except for my 970 which i'll replace once my 3070 comes in.

my 970 worked fine in my old pc so i dont think thats the problem...argh

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
It's a very odd replacement. For starters B460 is for intel CPUs, so what's happening to your Ryzen CPU? If you want to keep it you should be going for another x570 or a B550.

On the other hand, it is also a downgrade. B460 is a generation behind the current intel boards which have pcie 4.0 (which the x570 also has). If going intel is part of the plan and you want to have the same features you should be going B560 ( I think these are not out yet), H570, Z590, or also some Z490 boards, but a 11th gen intel CPU for sure.

What is your CPU? That's the most important question, because if you have a $300 or or above AMD processor then keeping that is more important than saving money by going for a budget board like a B460 and still having to pay for a new CPU.

Definitely keeping the ryzen, the guy knows I have a ryzen so perhaps he misspoke on the phone? Or I misheard the model number.

What am I realistically losing by going with a cheaper mobo?

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Been awhile since I've built a PC and I never knew installing fans could be such a pain. My case came with two fans mounted to the front and my CPU cooler (NZXT Kraken Z63 98.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler) came with two fans. It seems like the CPU fans are meant to be mounted to the front of the case so I decided to mount those to the front and I planned to move one of the fans that came with the case to the top and one to the rear vent.

Unfortunately screwing the CPU fans onto the front drove me into a Homer building a grille sort of rage because the holes seemed like they were slightly off so getting everything to line up right was a nightmare. Then for the other two fans I don't seem to have the proper screws to screw them onto my case so I might just forgo having those two fans for the time being.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
So, I built a headless streaming gaming server desktop:

Ryzen 5600x
RTX 3080 Ti 12GB
32GB DDR4 3200 Ram
1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 SSD
Tomahawk B550 mobo
-no Monitor, Mouse or Keyboard.
-using a 4K HDMI dummy plug to trick the GPU into detecting a display

I've been able to remote play at 1440p with all settings maxed at 60FPS on my HP Spectre laptop. Laptop temps never get above 60C (because the Desktop box is doing all the processing).

I've finally figured out remote streaming without hardly any sacrifice using Steam Link and Parsec.

-in my home network at least. Haven't tested over internet yet. Still, feels cool to get this kind of mobility without having to use a eGPU over Thunderbolt.

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
So, I built a headless streaming gaming server desktop:

Ryzen 5600x
RTX 3080 Ti 12GB
32GB DDR4 3200 Ram
1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 SSD
Tomahawk B550 mobo
-no Monitor, Mouse or Keyboard.
-using a 4K HDMI dummy plug to trick the GPU into detecting a display

I've been able to remote play at 1440p with all settings maxed at 60FPS on my HP Spectre laptop. Laptop temps never get above 60C (because the Desktop box is doing all the processing).

I've finally figured out remote streaming without hardly any sacrifice using Steam Link and Parsec.

-in my home network at least. Haven't tested over internet yet. Still, feels cool to get this kind of mobility without having to use a eGPU over Thunderbolt.
Nice! Congrats on the build. Sounds like you have been watching the entire craft computing series on headless streaming rigs, though he had the entire thing virtualized rather than bare metal.

Oct 29, 2017
Definitely keeping the ryzen, the guy knows I have a ryzen so perhaps he misspoke on the phone? Or I misheard the model number.

What am I realistically losing by going with a cheaper mobo?
You don't necessarily lose anything other than less PCIE 4.0 and less USB 3 connections, but your previous board wasn't taking full advantage of either. If you go B550 instead of x570 then you only have one M.2 and x16 Slot that are PCIE 4.0 instead of two. Other than that, some of the cheaper B550 boards are often Micro ATX so with that you lose some extra slots to connects devices, but that's the form factor rather than having anything to do with the chipset.

However you may gain some things as well because B550 boards are newer. The MSI PRO B550-A and MSI PRO B550M PRO-VDH WIFI for example have a USB 3.2 Gen 2 header for USC C front panel that the MSI X570-A PRO doesn't have. (but you will notice how they have two fewer usb 3 ports on the back, and they are instead USB 2.0, or no USB C in the back)

Going for A520 instead of B550 is more cut down, I would say probably too much. No PCIe 4.0 at all in that chipset. only one x16 that is 3.0. Less connection overall.

Last edited:

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
You don't necessarily lose anything other than less PCIE 4.0 and less USB 3 connections, but your previous board wasn't taking full advantage of either. If you go B550 instead of x570 then you only have one M.2 and x16 Slot that are PCIE 4.0 instead of two. Other than that, some of the cheaper B550 boards are often Micro ATX so with that you lose some extra slots to connects devices, but that's the form factor rather than having anything to do with the chipset.

However you may gain some things as well because B550 boards are newer. The MSI PRO B550-A and MSI PRO B550M PRO-VDH WIFI for example have a USB 3.2 Gen 2 header for USC C front panel that the MSI X570-A PRO doesn't have. (but you will notice how they have two fewer usb 3 ports on the back, and they are instead USB 2.0, or no USB C in the back)

Going for A520 instead of B550 is more cut down, I would say probably too much. No PCIe 4.0 at all in that chipset. only one x16 that is 3.0. Less connection overall.
Thanks for the info! Really appreciate it.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017

TBH mATX is rarely an issue these days. They offer enough expansion options for 99.5% of the people as most of them have multiple PCIE x1/4 slots, 4-6 SATA slots and two M.2 slots. 4-6 USB slots in the back aren't that bad either, and nothing a cheap 3.2 dock can't fix.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
So issues aside my PC is built and it boots fine (sort of). All the storage i have installed (SSDs only) were taken from my previous PC. As I've mentioned in previous messages it's been awhile since I've built a PC so I was surprised when my newly built PC just booted into Windows before I had even installed it (I assume this is because of my SSDs?). It says my pin is unavailable so it lists my options as making a new pin or other sign in options. Problem is, not long after getting to the Windows log in screen my PC just abruptly shuts down every time. This seems like a hardware thing but I don't really have the knowledge to know what specifically it would be. But maybe it's actually a software thing? Maybe doing a fresh Windows install is what's needed here?

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
So issues aside my PC is built and it boots fine (sort of). All the storage i have installed (SSDs only) were taken from my previous PC. As I've mentioned in previous messages it's been awhile since I've built a PC so I was surprised when my newly built PC just booted into Windows before I had even installed it (I assume this is because of my SSDs?). It says my pin is unavailable so it lists my options as making a new pin or other sign in options. Problem is, not long after getting to the Windows log in screen my PC just abruptly shuts down every time. This seems like a hardware thing but I don't really have the knowledge to know what specifically it would be. But maybe it's actually a software thing? Maybe doing a fresh Windows install is what's needed here?

Might be a driver issue. What CPU were you using before and what is the new CPU? It would probably be best to do a fresh install, especially if you went from AMD to Intel (or the other way around). That's what I did with my new build last year.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Might be a driver issue. What CPU were you using before and what is the new CPU? It would probably be best to do a fresh install, especially if you went from AMD to Intel (or the other way around). That's what I did with my new build last year.

Ah yes. This is my first AMD CPU so maybe that's it? I'll give a fresh Windows install a shot. Thanks.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Ah yes. This is my first AMD CPU so maybe that's it? I'll give a fresh Windows install a shot. Thanks.

Yeah, if your previous PC was Intel, and you're using AMD now, you would need to have completely different chipset drivers, CPU drivers, motherboard drivers, etc. If you are able to back up your data a simple reformat and fresh install should do the trick. Be sure to visit your motherboard's support page to Dow load the latest drivers, and go to AMD's site to get the latest chipset drivers.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, if your previous PC was Intel, and you're using AMD now, you would need to have completely different chipset drivers, CPU drivers, motherboard drivers, etc. If you are able to back up your data a simple reformat and fresh install should do the trick. Be sure to visit your motherboard's support page to Dow load the latest drivers, and go to AMD's site to get the latest chipset drivers.

Hm well it just hard shutdown during the Windows install so I wonder if something else is going on here? Though it took longer to shutdown than it did previously so the AMD situation probably isn't helping.

EDIT: Upon closer inspection I don't believe my CPU fan is kicking on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Personal build update: I finally trashed the Thermaltakes and am going full Cooler Master Halos (they have 140mm versions now). The sheer amount of cabling and room needed to support 3 thick cables + a separate controller + a USB2 header + a non-SATA power connector was just too much. Going multi-RGB standard is just too much of a pain in the ass unless you have a full tower.

Finally able to snag a 3070. Here's my build. It's basically the AMD $1.5k/$2k build in the OP:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
MSI MAG B550M MORTAR Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
MSI GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB SUPRIM Video Card
Fractal Design Define 7 Compact ATX Mid Tower Case
Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

I also got a Gigabyte M27Q this spring just before my current rig went kablooey.

I like it. 3700X isn't bleeding edge but with 16 cores and the muscle of the 3070 you are locked in for great gaming performance. The B550M mortar is just a ridiculously good board for the price, too; I used that on my wife's build but in some ways it was better than my X570 TUF (preinstalled IO shield, USB 3.2G2 10Gbps in Type A/Type C, 2.5G LAN...probably some other things) And you have the M27Q to make sure you use it. Good setup. The SN850 is probably unnecessary but I won't argue against the speed there either.

Thanks for the info! Really appreciate it.

Off the top of my head, the MSI X570 A-Pro is the disaster board where the VRMs massively overheated, triggering a huge controversy between Hardware Unboxed and Tom's Hardware. They should be replacing that board with a different X570, full stop.

TBH mATX is rarely an issue these days. They offer enough expansion options for 99.5% of the people as most of them have multiple PCIE x1/4 slots, 4-6 SATA slots and two M.2 slots. 4-6 USB slots in the back aren't that bad either, and nothing a cheap 3.2 dock can't fix.

Particularly on the AMD side B550 MATX seems very feature rich, I gotta admit. There are cheap boards but usually on A320; even the bargain B550 seems to have something to it. And the only thing I'm using an expansion slot for other than the GPU is...a USB-C internal header. sigh

Hm well it just hard shutdown during the Windows install so I wonder if something else is going on here? Though it took longer to shutdown than it did previously so the AMD situation probably isn't helping.

EDIT: Upon closer inspection I don't believe my CPU fan is kicking on.

That's bad. I would try re-connecting the fan to the motherboard or even try a different fan header if necessary, to make sure the fan actually works at all.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
I like it. 3700X isn't bleeding edge but with 16 cores and the muscle of the 3070 you are locked in for great gaming performance. The B550M mortar is just a ridiculously good board for the price, too; I used that on my wife's build but in some ways it was better than my X570 TUF (preinstalled IO shield, USB 3.2G2 10Gbps in Type A/Type C, 2.5G LAN...probably some other things) And you have the M27Q to make sure you use it. Good setup. The SN850 is probably unnecessary but I won't argue against the speed there either.
Thanks! Really excited to put this thing together. Coming from a prebuilt HP Envy with an i7-6700k and a 980ti that I ran on a standard 1080p monitor, so it's going to be a nice jump.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Managed to trade my 1080Ti Founders Edition + a Samsung 1080p 144hz 24" Qled monitor (from 2019), adding some money, for an RTX 3070 EVGA FTW3 Ultra and a brand new Gigabyte M27Q 1440p 170hz IPS monitor.

If I had sell the card and monitor, and added the money I gave, I would've still be far from buying those two items. One of the best deals in my life

Now I wonder how much of a bottleneck the 3600 will be lol But screw it, will stick with it until the 5800x is much cheaper. I don't want to upgrade to a 5600x

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Managed to trade my 1080Ti Founders Edition + a Samsung 1080p 144hz 24" Qled monitor (from 2019), adding some money, for an RTX 3070 EVGA FTW3 Ultra and a brand new Gigabyte M27Q 1440p 170hz IPS monitor.

If I had sell the card and monitor, and added the money I gave, I would've still be far from buying those two items. One of the best deals in my life

Now I wonder how much of a bottleneck the 3600 will be lol But screw it, will stick with it until the 5800x is much cheaper. I don't want to upgrade to a 5600x

You are a magician. I went from 3600/GTX970>3600/RTX3080 and it was a massive improvement so I have to think you will see huge gains, wouldn't be in a rush for a 5600X...

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Personal build update: I finally trashed the Thermaltakes and am going full Cooler Master Halos (they have 140mm versions now). The sheer amount of cabling and room needed to support 3 thick cables + a separate controller + a USB2 header + a non-SATA power connector was just too much. Going multi-RGB standard is just too much of a pain in the ass unless you have a full tower.

Off the top of my head, the MSI X570 A-Pro is the disaster board where the VRMs massively overheated, triggering a huge controversy between Hardware Unboxed and Tom's Hardware. They should be replacing that board with a different X570, full stop.

Particularly on the AMD side B550 MATX seems very feature rich, I gotta admit. There are cheap boards but usually on A320; even the bargain B550 seems to have something to it. And the only thing I'm using an expansion slot for other than the GPU is...a USB-C internal header. sigh

That's bad. I would try re-connecting the fan to the motherboard or even try a different fan header if necessary, to make sure the fan actually works at all.

Did that and the fans do work so I guess I know what the issue is. Any chance I may have damaged my CPU or should I be good?

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
Just upgraded to a 4K hdr display and games are chewing up my vram like crazy.

im using a 6800 w/ 16gb and it's getting 80% filled almost instantly in games like horizon, flight simulator and doom eternal

is this normal?

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017

Who is 'they' in this situation? Either way I'm paying for it and if there's not much to gain by going more expensive I'm happy to get a cheaper board.

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Did that and the fans do work so I guess I know what the issue is. Any chance I may have damaged my CPU or should I be good?

It's very unlikely your CPU is damaged from thermals. Modern CPUs will shut down rather than let you hit 110 melting temperatures. But if your fan is working now and you still have shutdown issues, it may be suspect anyway...

Just upgraded to a 4K hdr display and games are chewing up my vram like crazy.

im using a 6800 w/ 16gb and it's getting 80% filled almost instantly in games like horizon, flight simulator and doom eternal

is this normal?

4KHDR gobbles VRAM, for sure. You're using 4K framebuffers using 10+bit color, and then most modern games are also caching whatever they can to VRAM as well. There is a famous thread on resetera going into how the cached number does not mean the actual VRAM requirement.

Who is 'they' in this situation? Either way I'm paying for it and if there's not much to gain by going more expensive I'm happy to get a cheaper board.

Hardware Unboxed posted a review of some MSI X570 boards where the VRM cooling was so bad they hit 100+c and overheated, meaning on some CPUs the board would literally be useless. Then Tom's Hardware called them trolls and MSI freaked out. Long story short, MSI eventually apologized and Tom's made a fool of themselves for insufficient product testing.

"The MSI A-Pro was a...disaster". It's possible they addressed the issue later but it would be impossible to tell if you had a fixed board without literally before and after photos.

If you're happy with the A320 then no worries, just that from my perspective they sold you an X570 board, gave you the worst possible one....at that point I would expect at least a B550 out of it?

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Hardware Unboxed posted a review of some MSI X570 boards where the VRM cooling was so bad they hit 100+c and overheated, meaning on some CPUs the board would literally be useless. Then Tom's Hardware called them trolls and MSI freaked out. Long story short, MSI eventually apologized and Tom's made a fool of themselves for insufficient product testing.

"The MSI A-Pro was a...disaster". It's possible they addressed the issue later but it would be impossible to tell if you had a fixed board without literally before and after photos.

If you're happy with the A320 then no worries, just that from my perspective they sold you an X570 board, gave you the worst possible one....at that point I would expect at least a B550 out of it?
Funnily enough I got a call today where they've determined it's actually the CPU and it's still under warranty. So they'll be replacing it with a new one, and I get a working computer plus a brand new Ryzen (after warranty stuff is finalised) that I can resell.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
I'm new to PC gaming (been a console gamer and Mac user most of my life).

I don't know why, but I decided to build a PC a few weeks ago. I didn't like how slow my work (Mac) laptop was getting and I wanted a better monitor and that spiraled into just trying to build my own PC because it sounded fun. I told myself I'd go slow because getting a GPU is hard these days.

I went to Micro Center 2 days after I decided in the morning and they had a raffle to purchase GPU and I ended up with a 3070ti. I would have preferred a 3080, but not gonna complain for how little effort I put forth.

Got most of my other parts during prime day. The motherboard was bad during the build, so I got another and did it all over again. Now I'm finally done! It's not the best of the best, but I'm happy with it and I can easily upgrade parts as I go now.

Intel I7-10700k 3.8
MSI Z590 Pro WIFI
16gb Ballistix DDR-3600
WD SN550 1tb
ASUS GeForce 3070 TI
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh ATX
EVGA SuperNOVA 750W power supply
AW3420DW Display

The PC build itself came out to around $1500 with deals. Got the display from Dell for $525.

prrWnDe.jpg
DS6vvhY.jpg

Last edited:

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

I don't know why, but I decided to build a PC a few weeks ago. I didn't like how slow my work (Mac) laptop was getting and I wanted a better monitor and that spiraled into just trying to build my own PC because it sounded fun. I told myself I'd go slow because getting a GPU is hard these days.

I went to Micro Center 2 days after I decided in the morning and they had a raffle to purchase GPU and I ended up with a 3070ti. I would have preferred a 3080, but not gonna complain for how little effort I put forth.

Got most of my other parts during prime day. The motherboard was bad during the build, so I got another and did it all over again. Now I'm finally done! It's not the best of the best, but I'm happy with it and I can easily upgrade parts as I go now.

Intel I7-10700k 3.8
MSI Z590 Pro WIFI
16gb Ballistix DDR-3600
WD SN550 1tb
ASUS GeForce 3070 TI
AW3420DW Display

The PC build itself came out to around $1500 with deals. Got the display from Dell for $525.

prrWnDe.jpg
DS6vvhY.jpg

Congrats on your new PC!

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017

Intel I7-10700k 3.8
MSI Z590 Pro WIFI
16gb Ballistix DDR-3600
WD SN550 1tb
ASUS GeForce 3070 TI
AW3420DW Display

prrWnDe.jpg
DS6vvhY.jpg
Dude that is clean AF.

Roubjon

Oct 25, 2017
Hey all,

I've never built a PC before and have always preferred laptops, however due to my job I need a high quality pc now. I really have no idea what I'm doing and don't know what makes a good PC. I did take a gander at PC Parts picker, and I read the OP and ended up building this setup:

Is this solid? I mean, the price is BEEFY, so I'm guessing it is haha. I just modified the $1500 Intel build suggested in the OP with a few things, like upgraded RAM and a better graphics card. I also have an extra 1TB SSD in my laptop that i'll be popping into this new PC as well.

Also, I'm kinda freaked out about putting the thing together myself, but it can't be that hard right? The tutorials posted in the OP seem pretty substantial.

Thanks for any help at all.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
I am kinda turned between 3080 and 3090, would you guys have gone for 3090 if it were available and can somehow afford it?
Reason why am considering 3090 is because of VRAM.

Motherborad: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XIII EXTREME, cost almost 1200 USD, Is it overkill?

Appreciate the feedback

BSherrod

Oct 27, 2017
I am kinda turned between 3080 and 3090, would you guys have gone for 3090 if it were available and can somehow afford it?

Motherborad: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XIII EXTREME, cost almost 1200 USD, Is it overkill?

Appreciate the feedback
I feel like if you have to ask then you probably don't need anything close to a $1,200 motherboard. Even the high end $400+ are overkill for most people.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile

Intel I7-10700k 3.8
MSI Z590 Pro WIFI
16gb Ballistix DDR-3600
WD SN550 1tb
ASUS GeForce 3070 TI
AW3420DW Display

prrWnDe.jpg
DS6vvhY.jpg

Wow, that setup is really beautiful. Congrats on your new PC!

Hey all,

I've never built a PC before and have always preferred laptops, however due to my job I need a high quality pc now. I really have no idea what I'm doing and don't know what makes a good PC. I did take a gander at PC Parts picker, and I read the OP and ended up building this setup:

Is this solid? I mean, the price is BEEFY, so I'm guessing it is haha. I just modified the $1500 Intel build suggested in the OP with a few things, like upgraded RAM and a better graphics card. I also have an extra 1TB SSD in my laptop that i'll be popping into this new PC as well.

Also, I'm kinda freaked out about putting the thing together myself, but it can't be that hard right? The tutorials posted in the OP seem pretty substantial.

Thanks for any help at all.

Yes, that's a solid build. What resolution and refresh rate are you planning to play at? I'd suggest also considering the i5 11400 or the 11600k, not much difference in price but same or better performance.

If you are not feeling sure about building it yourself and you are going from scratch, then you should probably also consider going with a prebuilt machine. There are very good deals in places like newegg.

Appreciate the feedback

I'm gonna ask something anyway, but I can safely say that it is overkill in 99% of the times. Which CPU will you be using with that?

As for the RTX, I'd say that the 3090 will have a bit better longevity. You are already spending a lot on a card, so if you can pay for it, might as well go with the top tier option.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, that setup is really beautiful. Congrats on your new PC!

Yes, that's a solid build. What resolution and refresh rate are you planning to play at? I'd suggest also considering the i5 11400 or the 11600k, not much difference in price but same or better performance.

If you are not feeling sure about building it yourself and you are going from scratch, then you should probably also consider going with a prebuilt machine. There are very good deals in places like newegg.

I'm gonna ask something anyway, but I can safely say that it is overkill in 99% of the times. Which CPU will you be using with that?

As for the RTX, I'd say that the 3090 will have a bit better longevity. You are already spending a lot on a card, so if you can pay for it, might as well go with the top tier option.

Am asking because someone is building the PC for me since I dont have much time between streaming and job, So I got these recommendation from him,
As for the CPU i9 11900

Much love guys

Roubjon

Oct 25, 2017

I only have a 1080p monitor with a standard refresh rate, so nothing fancy. I'll definitely check out Newegg's prebuilts as well. Thanks for the help!

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
Am asking because someone is building the PC for me since I dont have much time between streaming and job, So I got these recommendation from him,
As for the CPU i9 11900

Much love guys
What workload do you usually use? Unless you need AVX512 support, or your usual work tool just runs better on Intel, I would strongly suggest against using a 11900K. AMD is significantly faster at high end multicore productivity loads at similar pricing, and consumes significantly less power.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
What workload do you usually use? Unless you need AVX512 support, or your usual work tool just runs better on Intel, I would strongly suggest against using a 11900K. AMD is significantly faster at high end multicore productivity loads at similar pricing, and consumes significantly less power.

Just highend gaming, Some video editing maybe for youtube, Nothing else

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
As for the CPU i9 11900

Much love guys

As the poster above says, consider the AMD options as well unless you really need Intel. Specially for multitasking purposes the extra cores/threads might help a little more, specially when streaming. But for the motherboard you really don't need such an expensive model. I know you don't have the time as you said, but looking at reviews always helps in getting a good motherboard that cover your I/O needs and also sustain temperatures and power for less money than that. The Asus X570 Prime P for example is not very fancy in looks and I/O stuff, but has high end coolers for the VRM that are much better than some more expensive models.

I only have a 1080p monitor with a standard refresh rate, so nothing fancy. I'll definitely check out Newegg's prebuilts as well. Thanks for the help!

So absolutely. The 3060 is super fantastic at 1080p at even high refresh rates.

Last edited:

BSherrod

Oct 27, 2017
Then a 11900K+ hyper expensive Z590 build is flat out not a good value. A 5900X + high end B550 is cheaper, faster and more power efficient. In fact, the 11900K is one of the worst high end CPUs in recent years.
I agree, the cost difference alone would bridge the gap between the 3080 and 3090 and yield better performance overall.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Then a 11900K+ hyper expensive Z590 build is flat out not a good value. A 5900X + high end B550 is cheaper, faster and more power efficient. In fact, the 11900K is one of the worst high end CPUs in recent years.
As the poster above says, consider the AMD options as well unless you really need Intel. Specially for multitasking purposes the extra cores/threads might help a little more, specially when streaming. But for the motherboard you really don't need such an expensive model. I know you don't have the time as you said, but looking at reviews always helps in getting a good motherboard that cover your I/O needs and also sustain temperatures and power for less money than that. The Asus X570 Prime P for example is not very fancy in looks and I/O stuff, but has high end coolers for the VRM that are much more expensive models.
3090 will fit with this combo right?
I really appreciate it , You guys are awesome :)

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's time I get on the UPS train. Does anyone have any recommendations?

These are the two I've been looking into for my PC and monitors;

Amazon.com: APC UPS, 1500VA Sine Wave UPS Battery Backup & Surge Protector, BR1500MS2, Backup Battery with AVR, (2) USB Charger Ports, Back-UPS Pro Uninterruptible Power Supply: Electronics

Amazon.com: APC UPS, 1500VA Sine Wave UPS Battery Backup & Surge Protector, BR1500MS2, Backup Battery with AVR, (2) USB Charger Ports, Back-UPS Pro Uninterruptible Power Supply: Electronics

Amazon.com: CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD PFC Sinewave UPS System, 1500VA/1000W, 12 Outlets, AVR, Mini Tower, Black: Home Audio & Theater

Buy CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD PFC Sinewave UPS System, 1500VA/1000W, 12 Outlets, AVR, Mini Tower, Black: Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases

I've seen them both get closer to $200, but still doing more research before buying.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These are the two I've been looking into for my PC and monitors;

Amazon.com: CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD PFC Sinewave UPS System, 1500VA/1000W, 12 Outlets, AVR, Mini Tower, Black: Home Audio & Theater

Buy CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD PFC Sinewave UPS System, 1500VA/1000W, 12 Outlets, AVR, Mini Tower, Black: Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases

I've seen them both get closer to $200, but still doing more research before buying.

Damn, the negative review on both have lots of reports on them failing spectacularly and spewing out smoke. lol, that's not inspiring.