• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
I've decided to try and get a 3070 FE through Best Buy to finally replace my GTX 670 (yes, not a typo).

Not looking forward to being on high alert for drops. This is probably a futile exercise.

slorelli

Nov 1, 2017
Ohio
Two things. First, yes it is definitely worth the upgrade for those running 2080 Supers and up (3070, 3080, etc).

With a 3080 I would spend the extra $100 (assuming we're dealing in USD), because locking in an 8c/16t CPU now will leave you set for a long while and you can have total peace of mind as far as CPU bottlenecks.

If you upgrade every 2 years, maybe the 5600X makes more sense.

Is there a big difference in performance between a 5800 and 5900? I'd like to be set for like 3-4 years.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I have a x470 Tuf, so it should. I was under the impression that the 5600x and 5800x are pretty close as far as gaming performance. I just don't know if an upgrade from a 3600 is worth it.
Imo since you're chasing the fastest single thread performance for high refresh rate gaming, buy a 5600x and then buy the equivalent 3-4 years from now. I think there's a pretty low chance that the 5800x noticeably outperforms the 5600x within that time frame, and you can just spend the difference on upgrading your cpu sooner or buying a better gpu.

slorelli

Nov 1, 2017
Ohio
Then 5600 if you want to save money, or the 5800 if you don't mind, as you'll get some extra power out of it for certain games that make use of it. More than that is best suited for other applications outside of games. But id go with a 5600 for just games.
Thank you. The issue is the 5600s are selling for almost as much as 5800s :(

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
I've decided to try and get a 3070 FE through Best Buy to finally replace my GTX 670 (yes, not a typo).

Not looking forward to being on high alert for drops. This is probably a futile exercise.
It's going to be really difficult, even if you are on high alert. I'm sure you've gotten tips already, but here are mine:

Tomorrow is a likely drop date.

Tips:
- Best Buy usually drops every 2 weeks.
- Tuesday is the most common, but Thursdays and Fridays are next.
- usually it's like 7:30-10:00 AM PT I believe
- there are often multiple drops in a day
- hit the add to cart button, stay on the page, it will go gray for a bit, then if you're lucky it will go back to yellow. Add to cart
- adding to cart is the hard part, usually it's out of stock after that
- some people have had luck with not checking out, keeping it in their cart and waiting for the next time they are in stock.

Last edited:

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Might be the wrong thread, but is now a bad time to get a laptop? Looking at a Dell XPS. Going to be using it for school.
Depending on the specs, yes. Anything with the slightest hint of a gaming graphics card is being snapped up by bitcoin miners, so you might have a hard time finding a laptop.

That's on top of the fact it's already a hard time to find a laptop since there's the overall chip shortage.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Guys I gotta tell you -- if you're OK with going with a new PC, try NZXT BLD. They were selling 3080 FTW3 at MSRP for hours today. They sell the 5600x for 300. Barely any markup, $50 shipping + ~100 build fee, Ships in a month.

Hell, they charged me $99 for my asrock phantom gaming 4. Thats 20 bucks less than newegg.

dummmyy

Oct 27, 2017
Got an nvme drive this past week. What's the best way to clone my OS SSD to it? and will I need to find my win 10 key to activate it again?

Oct 30, 2017
Guys I gotta tell you -- if you're OK with going with a new PC, try NZXT BLD. They were selling 3080 FTW3 at MSRP for hours today. They sell the 5600x for 300. Barely any markup, $50 shipping + ~100 build fee, Ships in a month.

They have pretty good stream of GPU's all the time at the moment. If you check twice a day, youll get what your looking for. 3060 TI, 3070, 3080 and the 6800 xt's all go within 24 to 36 hours. But yes, their prices are all normal prices from what I have seen. Mine is almost here.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
They have pretty good stream of GPU's all the time at the moment. If you check twice a day, youll get what your looking for. 3060 TI, 3070, 3080 and the 6800 xt's all go within 24 to 36 hours. But yes, their prices are all normal prices from what I have seen. Mine is almost here.
Yeah, for me it only took two days of occasionally refreshing to find a 3080 and get it ordered.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
It's going to be really difficult, even if you are on high alert. I'm sure you've gotten tips already, but here are mine:

Tomorrow is a likely drop date.

Tips:
- Best Buy usually drops every 2 weeks.
- Tuesday is the most common, but Thursdays and Fridays are next.
- usually it's like 7:30-10:00 AM PT I believe
- there are often multiple drops in a day
- hit the add to cart button, stay on the page, it will go gray for a bit, then if you're lucky it will go back to yellow. Add to cart
- adding to cart is the hard part, usually it's out of stock after that
- some people have had luck with not checking out, keeping it in their cart and waiting for the next time they are in stock.
Thanks for the tips! Didn't know Thursday was also a drop day and it was multiple times a day.

So far I think I'm going with the Saved item in cart method and making sure I'm always logged in with as much info pre-filled out as possible. Crossing my fingers for something tomorrow.

SpaceBridge

Oct 31, 2017
Hi guys may be wrong thread to ask but I need some advice from you computer experts. Please don't be mad if this is the wrong place to ask....if it is I'll make my own thread.

Some background: I live in Canada and we are still in partial lockdown. I was laid off in Oct, so money and funds is tight. I need a new laptop. Mostly for work applications and maybe to apply to online customer service roles. I was using my roommates iMac but she needed it back.

question: I'm not too sure what i should be looking for when shopping for a laptop. I keep seeing chrome books online but I'm not familiar with them. I've either used Mac or windows laptop (Acer was my last windows laptop)
My budget is ideally $250 and under. $300 Max. What should I be looking for when it comes to a decent laptop.

I mostly need it for email, writing, steaming Netflix and as mentioned online customer service work if I get a job on that field.

I see a lot of Chromebooks in my price range but I'm not too into google as I have an iPhone. Can chromebooks do what I'm looking for?

What should I be looking for as RAM, HDD size and chip sets of decent quality?

I was thinking of buying used from kijiji but I'm scared of it breaking down or being swindled.

Thanks again and I apologize if this was the wrong place to ask.

NeroPaige

Jan 8, 2018
Got an nvme drive this past week. What's the best way to clone my OS SSD to it? and will I need to find my win 10 key to activate it again?
Any decent disc image backup software should have you covered. Try the "clone drive to drive" option if you don't want to create an image first.

I use Active@ Boot Disk, you can create and restore backups from a bootable USB flash drive which is incredibly easy to use. It has a lot of usages but I only use it for backups.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Hi guys may be wrong thread to ask but I need some advice from you computer experts. Please don't be mad if this is the wrong place to ask....if it is I'll make my own thread.

Some background: I live in Canada and we are still in partial lockdown. I was laid off in Oct, so money and funds is tight. I need a new laptop. Mostly for work applications and maybe to apply to online customer service roles. I was using my roommates iMac but she needed it back.

question: I'm not too sure what i should be looking for when shopping for a laptop. I keep seeing chrome books online but I'm not familiar with them. I've either used Mac or windows laptop (Acer was my last windows laptop)
My budget is ideally $250 and under. $300 Max. What should I be looking for when it comes to a decent laptop.

I mostly need it for email, writing, steaming Netflix and as mentioned online customer service work if I get a job on that field.

I see a lot of Chromebooks in my price range but I'm not too into google as I have an iPhone. Can chromebooks do what I'm looking for?

What should I be looking for as RAM, HDD size and chip sets of decent quality?

I was thinking of buying used from kijiji but I'm scared of it breaking down or being swindled.

Thanks again and I apologize if this was the wrong place to ask.

Used Thinkpad is the best option for your budget.

www.bobble.tech

Used ThinkPad Buyer's Guide

New, live technology Q&A weekly on YouTube! Email your questions to [email protected], and join live or view the archive for the answers!

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
So, due to the strange ways the world works these days, I have the choice between

ASUS TUF RTX 3060TI GAMING OC

or

MSI RTX 3070 VENTUS 2X OC PC

With the 3060TI being actually $20 more expensive than the 3070 in this case (where I live, not the US)

I expected the 3070 to be the more expensive card, but I know not all cards with the same chip are equal, so could there be a performance reason for the price difference where the 3070 ends up cheaper? Or is this a fluke of the times and I should just go for the MSI 3070?

Note that both are overpriced (as all cards are these days), around the 1250 USD mark.

Last edited:

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
So, due to the strange ways the world works these days, I have the choice between

ASUS TUF-RTX3060TI-O8G-GAMING-OC

or

MSI - GeForce-RTX-3070-VENTUS-2X-OC-PC

Where the 3060TI is actually $20 more expensive than the 3070 in this case

I expected the 3070 to be the more expensive card, but I know not all cards with the same chip are equal, so could there be a performance reason for the price difference in favor of the 3070? Or is this a fluke of the times and I should just go for the MSI 3070?

Note that both are overpriced (as all cards are these days), none of them are a great deal.
Fluke. If the Ti were cheaper, I'd say get it and overclock it to close enough to 3070 performance, bur you might as well get the 3070 and overclock.

MrToughPants

Oct 30, 2017

I use kiwi browser (chrome clone) on android running distill extension with webpage changes highlighted on a 15 second refresh. I set this up last week and managed to snag 2x 3060s and cancelled a 3070 dual ventus before the bots. I got an evga 3070 yesterday from the BB.ca drop and almost had another order down for a 3060ti. Discord/twitch notifications are too slow.

BlueScrote

Oct 25, 2017
I am regretting doing a full build rather than buying prebuilt now that I'm in the GPU hunt. I broke down and nabbed a 2070 off ebay for an uncomfortable markup while I'm still trying to get anything from the 3000 series.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
For those with airflow cases, how do y'all position fans? Right now I have a rear exhuast, top exhaust, two front intakes, and a intake fan under my 3080.

Similar. I have 3x front intake, rear exhaust, top exhaust. Tried to finagle a bottom intake but the positioning ultimately felt better with the 3rd intake on the front.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile

ASUS TUF RTX 3060TI GAMING OC

or

MSI RTX 3070 VENTUS 2X OC PC

With the 3060TI being actually $20 more expensive than the 3070 in this case (where I live, not the US)

I expected the 3070 to be the more expensive card, but I know not all cards with the same chip are equal, so could there be a performance reason for the price difference where the 3070 ends up cheaper? Or is this a fluke of the times and I should just go for the MSI 3070?

Note that both are overpriced (as all cards are these days), around the 1250 USD mark.

Probably has to do with the fact that since the 3060Ti consumes less energy it's more efficient for miners, thus, being more desirable than the 3070.

I you can and makes sense to go for the 3070 now, just do it. A beast of a card.

Duck Sauce

Oct 30, 2017
United States
For those with airflow cases, how do y'all position fans? Right now I have a rear exhuast, top exhaust, two front intakes, and a intake fan under my 3080.

Not really if mine counts as an airflow case but I have a Asus Helios case and I have 3 intakes and 4 exhausts.

3 front intakes, 3 radiator exhaust (custom water block on the cpu) and one rear exhaust.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Thanks for the tips! Didn't know Thursday was also a drop day and it was multiple times a day.

So far I think I'm going with the Saved item in cart method and making sure I'm always logged in with as much info pre-filled out as possible. Crossing my fingers for something tomorrow.
I'm not completely sure how well the cart method works. I've heard some people have success with it, and others have complained that it kicked out their card.

Brandino

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
I'm building a computer for my brother. I spec'd the thing out with an nr200 and 5800x, under the assumption that he'd want a 3080. After talking to him today, he wants to go all out with a 3090. He's only going to use it for gaming, and I've showed him the benchmarks for the two cards. So I guess I have two questions. What's a good case for the 3090? I'd be worried that things would get too hot and noisy in the nr200. I know that bottom space for video cards can get cramped, and with a big card like that, it's unlikly I'll be able to get any additional fans under there.

The second question is, should I keep him at a 5800x, or look into the 5900x for him? Since he's just gaming, I don't think the extra cores will offer him much, but maybe in the future?

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I was able to get my new PC built last week (5600X+3080). I was coming from an i7-4770K+3080. I game at 4K60 on a HDR TV and while the system is certainly faster in general, actual in-game performance is only a little better if I'm being honest. Frames are a little more consistent but there are still hitches and drops in games like AC Odyssey. The biggest improvement I see is in emulation which is not too surprising since it relies on CPU brute force. I'm not disappointed at all as my old rig was very long in the tooth and was missing some key features (M.2 slots, etc.) and the new one is very cool and quiet, but I would say at 4K60 I could've gotten by for a another year or two with just the 3080.

Imo since you're chasing the fastest single thread performance for high refresh rate gaming, buy a 5600x and then buy the equivalent 3-4 years from now. I think there's a pretty low chance that the 5800x noticeably outperforms the 5600x within that time frame, and you can just spend the difference on upgrading your cpu sooner or buying a better gpu.

This was my thinking as well. Especially given my results going from the i7-4770K to the 5600X, I think for 4K60 gaming the 5600x is going to be plenty for the next 5 years. I was able to get it at MSRP though ($299) so it just didn't make sense to spend $150 more (+50%) for no appreciable gaming difference. In the event that more cores would make a huge difference in the next 5 years, I can just drop a 5800x or 5900x in the same motherboard for an instant upgrade.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
I use kiwi browser (chrome clone) on android running distill extension with webpage changes highlighted on a 15 second refresh. I set this up last week and managed to snag 2x 3060s and cancelled a 3070 dual ventus before the bots. I got an evga 3070 yesterday from the BB.ca drop and almost had another order down for a 3060ti. Discord/twitch notifications are too slow.
Thanks for the info! I'm on iOS, but it looks like Distill is also available for mobile Safari, although it only has a free 7 day trial and is monthly after that. I am trying another app out for alerts (HotStock) so I'll see how that works for now since it's free and consider using Distill if it isn't quick enough. Definitely trying to avoid Discord notifications.

I'm not completely sure how well the cart method works. I've heard some people have success with it, and others have complained that it kicked out their card.
Hm good to know, I'll report back on my findings.

Mirk

Oct 25, 2017
So I am looking to build a new PC. I have been building and upgrading my PC since 1998 and I have never seen it this bad. WTH is going on lol. Is it all due to covid?

Jan 31, 2019
Right now you can get an Alienware aurora r12 equipped with 12th gen intel CPUs and rtx 3080 for under 2k before tax. I zero percent apr financed this and will be literally payed to own this (by nicehash).

Mirk

Oct 25, 2017
Ya I went there and checked it out it's really not for me. I can price out everything I want for much cheaper except a 3080. So it's a wash. So my options are pay them out the nose for the card or buy the parts I want and wait on the gfx.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
So I am looking to build a new PC. I have been building and upgrading my PC since 1998 and I have never seen it this bad. WTH is going on lol. Is it all due to covid?
Mostly from mining, also fabrication capacity limits + the demand for silicon, and a little covid slowdowns on materials and shipping.

A perfect storm