• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want a 58, going for the 5950x, but that is refreshing to see some improvement in availability. Gives me hope now that it's March.
It might be more of a case that scalpers don't see the value in the ryzen 5 and 7 chips than availability genuinely improving (ideally it is just stock improving but, who knows at this point).

Sky Chief

Oct 30, 2017
I just feel like the 5800x is bad value. Why get 8 cores for $450 when you can get 12 for $550? It would be a lot more compelling if it cost ~$400.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I just feel like the 5800x is bad value. Why get 8 cores for $450 when you can get 12 for $550? It would be a lot more compelling if it cost ~$400.

The issue being availability of course.

I have a sealed 5800X sitting here only because I can't score a 5900X. I missed a chance last week being on a conference call, ugh.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
Is this the correct place for tech issues/help? Having a serious, out of nowhere CPU heat problem that has me pretty concerned and looking for some advice. I know there was another thread floating around but I couldn't find it and had this one bookmarked. If it's cool to post issues here (build is about 2 months old) I will reply with the details. Very confusing.

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, as far as cash value goes, the 5800x is absolutely terrible, objectively. But, short term longevity, it will absolutely prove to be the better option than the 5600x*

*disclaimer being if you want to play current-gen-only AAA games on pc going forward or, hell, even Fortnite and its ilk will benefit from more cores.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Is this the correct place for tech issues/help? Having a serious, out of nowhere CPU heat problem that has me pretty concerned and looking for some advice. I know there was another thread floating around but I couldn't find it and had this one bookmarked. If it's cool to post issues here (build is about 2 months old) I will reply with the details. Very confusing.
Yeah, fire away.

My EKWB 280 is still not here :(
I wanna change my cooler!

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Is there a way to change the minimum fan speed of the GPU? Even through MSi Afterburner i can't go lower than 30% in my GPU.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
Alright thanks. So, funny the 5800 is getting attention this page, when that is the CPU I am having issues with! Just a brief blurb on my setup:
Phanteks P400A
Ryzen 5800X with/Noctua NHD15
Gigabyte Aorus B550m Pro-P
Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz DDR4 16GB (8GBx2) CL16 BL2K8G36C16U4B (X2)
Zotac GeForce RTX3080
800W Silverstone Gold-rated PSU
1x500gb Crucial SSD
1X2TB Crucial SSD
1x4TB Western Digital HDD

So, the setup - I don't overclock anything except change BIOS settings so my RAM will properly run at 3600MHZ. I got the thing built and running great on the first try and that surprised me. Performance was great, and other than EGS glitch with the AMD 5xxx series that caused heat to spike, the heat levels were great with the Noctua and the default 5 fans in the Phanteks. It would idle, even with my typical (and admittedly absurd) 50-60 Chrome tabs open at anywhere from 38-50deg Celsius, typically in the low 40s. Games would spike up to the 60s, 70s for demanding games - the only game I ever saw take it above 80degrees was Warzone, but it would typically sit right around 80 and lower. I would almost never hear fan noise, so it was fantastic.

Then I went on a short trip where I had the PC switched completely off while gone, came home (3ish weeks ago) and then realized I was hearing more fan noise than normal. I hadn't had Ryzen master on for a week or so because I had forgotten to turn it back on to monitor temperatures. I randomly flipped it on one day because I heard so much fan noise and realized the temperate was in the high 80s - I then tested benchmarks on multiple games - Division 2, Borderlands 3, Metro Exodus, Horizon, and more - the temperature was up near the maximum limit of 90deg celsius (or at that mark) in almost every benchmark. Then I started noticing even playing games like FFXIV, or less intensive games the temp would also go up to high 80s/90 flat.

I am now at the point where as I type this the temperature is fluctuating just below or hitting the 90'c max, and with no games or applications running in the background my CPU is showing at 4,000+ mhz (typically is below 1000mhz when just browsing the web). All my settings are on auto and have not been changed. I have never overclocked. The PC has not been moved, bumped into, or damaged. It was seated properly with an adequate amount of thermal paste purchased for its efficiency.

I have restarted multiple times, checked my task manager and tried to close other programs, and have not seen much change. Fortunately games still work pretty well - I get a lot more random FPS drops than before this happened so clearly performance is suffering, but I guess the overall power of the system keeps things running pretty well.

I am mostly worried that at this point I am risking lasting damage to the internal components or the CPU because of this. I was scared of reports of excessive heat with the 5800x but like the poster above could not get the 5900 so settled on this in the interim. I am willing to do a full Windows reinstall if necessary, and while I desperately don't want to undo my entire desk setup and take the PC apart, I will do that if that is the recommendation to try to fix the problem.

Oh- last thing - the PC is in a well ventilated area and none of the fan enclosures are blocked. As I said, this issue was non-existent for nearly two full months of daily operation.

Thanks for any help you all can give, I just have no idea what to do at this point.

PS: BIOS is driver updated, GeForce drivers are updated. GPU temperatures appear normal when running games/tests according to MSI afterburner, so I am fairly certain this is almost entirely a CPU heat issue.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Alright thanks. So, funny the 5800 is getting attention this page, when that is the CPU I am having issues with! Just a brief blurb on my setup:
Phanteks P400A
Ryzen 5800X with/Noctua NHD15
Gigabyte Aorus B550m Pro-P
Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz DDR4 16GB (8GBx2) CL16 BL2K8G36C16U4B (X2)
Zotac GeForce RTX3080
800W Silverstone Gold-rated PSU
1x500gb Crucial SSD
1X2TB Crucial SSD
1x4TB Western Digital HDD

So, the setup - I don't overclock anything except change BIOS settings so my RAM will properly run at 3600MHZ. I got the thing built and running great on the first try and that surprised me. Performance was great, and other than EGS glitch with the AMD 5xxx series that caused heat to spike, the heat levels were great with the Noctua and the default 5 fans in the Phanteks. It would idle, even with my typical (and admittedly absurd) 50-60 Chrome tabs open at anywhere from 38-50deg Celsius, typically in the low 40s. Games would spike up to the 60s, 70s for demanding games - the only game I ever saw take it above 80degrees was Warzone, but it would typically sit right around 80 and lower. I would almost never hear fan noise, so it was fantastic.

Then I went on a short trip where I had the PC switched completely off while gone, came home (3ish weeks ago) and then realized I was hearing more fan noise than normal. I hadn't had Ryzen master on for a week or so because I had forgotten to turn it back on to monitor temperatures. I randomly flipped it on one day because I heard so much fan noise and realized the temperate was in the high 80s - I then tested benchmarks on multiple games - Division 2, Borderlands 3, Metro Exodus, Horizon, and more - the temperature was up near the maximum limit of 90deg celsius (or at that mark) in almost every benchmark. Then I started noticing even playing games like FFXIV, or less intensive games the temp would also go up to high 80s/90 flat.

I am now at the point where as I type this the temperature is fluctuating just below or hitting the 90'c max, and with no games or applications running in the background my CPU is showing at 4,000+ mhz (typically is below 1000mhz when just browsing the web). All my settings are on auto and have not been changed. I have never overclocked. The PC has not been moved, bumped into, or damaged. It was seated properly with an adequate amount of thermal paste purchased for its efficiency.

I have restarted multiple times, checked my task manager and tried to close other programs, and have not seen much change. Fortunately games still work pretty well - I get a lot more random FPS drops than before this happened so clearly performance is suffering, but I guess the overall power of the system keeps things running pretty well.

I am mostly worried that at this point I am risking lasting damage to the internal components or the CPU because of this. I was scared of reports of excessive heat with the 5800x but like the poster above could not get the 5900 so settled on this in the interim. I am willing to do a full Windows reinstall if necessary, and while I desperately don't want to undo my entire desk setup and take the PC apart, I will do that if that is the recommendation to try to fix the problem.

Oh- last thing - the PC is in a well ventilated area and none of the fan enclosures are blocked. As I said, this issue was non-existent for nearly two full months of daily operation.

Thanks for any help you all can give, I just have no idea what to do at this point.
First of all, is the fan on the d15 turning all-right? Seems so by your description, but I wanna be sure.
If not, the first thing I'd recommend is to just redo the cooler mounting. Maybe something came loose, who knows, but that's what I'd do.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
Thanks, is it worth the extra $17? The B550 USB issues should get resolved via an update right? I see that's an MATX board, can I opt for a smaller case or am I going to have to use an ATX one
For most people the only downside of mATX is aesthetics: it looks a bit awkward in a full size ATX case, but if you can look past that, not an issue. Full size ATX boards with wifi are usually quite more expensive. The current cheapest that I would use is the ASUS TUF B550 Plus Wifi and that comes in at 180. The USB issue can be easily avoided by using PCIE Gen 3 on the GPU slot, which has no tangible performance impact on a 3060Ti.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
First of all, is the fan on the d15 turning all-right? Seems so by your description, but I wanna be sure.
If not, the first thing I'd recommend is to just redo the cooler mounting. Maybe something came loose, who knows, but that's what I'd do.
Wow, that is crazy...I...never looked directly at the CPU fan because I was positive I could hear it? But it is not running at all. What in the world would cause the CPU fan to completely stop moving out of the blue and is there any non-pull my PC apart solution to get it to start again?

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Wow, that is crazy...I...never looked directly at the CPU fan because I was positive I could hear it? But it is not running at all. What in the world would cause the CPU fan to completely stop moving out of the blue and is there any non-pull my PC apart solution to get it to start again?

Can be as dumb as re-seating the cable. Really. And if that doesn't work, try connecting to a different fan port. If neither of those work, the fan has died.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Can be as dumb as re-seating the cable. Really. And if that doesn't work, try connecting to a different fan port. If neither of those work, the fan has died.
Yeah, exactly that. Also, to change the fan, you don't need to pull-apart anything but the fan.
Unclip it from the cooler and remove the cable from the header, put the new one in and connect it.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
For most people the only downside of mATX is aesthetics: it looks a bit awkward in a full size ATX case, but if you can look past that, not an issue. Full size ATX boards with wifi are usually quite more expensive. The current cheapest that I would use is the ASUS TUF B550 Plus Wifi and that comes in at 180. The USB issue can be easily avoided by using PCIE Gen 3 on the GPU slot, which has no tangible performance impact on a 3060Ti.
Thanks so much! This is my finalized list, I'll send it to the retailer if no one can pick any holes in it:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600
MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI
GSKILL TridentZ Neo 2x8GB DDR4 3200mhz (F4-3200C16D-16GTZN)
GIGABYTE Geforce RTX3060TI Gaming OC PRO 8GB DDR6
SEASONIC FOCUS PLUS GX-650 80+Gold Full Modular
LIANLI LANCOOL 215
CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB Gen3 PCIe x4 NVMe(3480/3000)
ACER 27"XV272UP-IPS/144HZ/2K(2560x1440/1ms/HDMIX2/DP/Speaker)
LOGITECH C310 HD WEBCAM

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
Thanks so much! This is my finalized list, I'll send it to the retailer if no one can pick any holes in it:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600
MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI
GSKILL TridentZ Neo 2x8GB DDR4 3200mhz (F4-3200C16D-16GTZN)
GIGABYTE Geforce RTX3060TI Gaming OC PRO 8GB DDR6
SEASONIC FOCUS PLUS GX-650 80+Gold Full Modular
LIANLI LANCOOL 215
CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB Gen3 PCIe x4 NVMe(3480/3000)
ACER 27"XV272UP-IPS/144HZ/2K(2560x1440/1ms/HDMIX2/DP/Speaker)
LOGITECH C310 HD WEBCAM
Flawless.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
So I got a used 1080Ti for a good local price (for reference, the same price as a used 2060, new 1660Ti or half the current new price of a 3060ti/70/60)

What a fucking beast of a card lol

I have a question, just to be sure.

When I swapped the cards looks like I moved something (or that's what I think). I swapped the cards and played and noticed something was off. Checked and there was only one stick of ram being detected. Weird, so I turned off, checked the ram and everything was normal. Turned on the PC and it didn't boot into BIOS. switched the RAM slots, nothing. Returned the RAM to their slots, swapped into the 1060 again, and it booted. Damn I said, bad GPU then. Swapped again to the 1080Ti, nothing wrong. Played for about an hour and a half and 0 problems, recognized both RAM slots with the correct speed and all. Rebooted a couple of times just to be sure, and everything ran fine.

Is it correct to assume I just did something wrong the first time I installed the 1080Ti, maybe handled something wrong? Has anyone encountered issues like this when changing into a higer tier GPU?

I'll keep testing the PC with the new card, but at least after the heart attack of a failure, played for 1.5 hours and had 0 issues, on the contrary. What a beast of a card it is.

Full specs:

MB Asus x570 Prime P
CPU Ryzen 5 3600
RAM : 2x8 gb Crucial Ballistix @ 3200Mhz
Storage: 1 x NVME Adata X8200 Pro / 1 x Seagate Barracuda 2 TB 7200rpm
GPU: EVGA 1080Ti Founders Edition
PSU: beQuiet! Pure Power 11 600W Gold
Case: Fractal Design Focus G

OCD Guy

Nov 2, 2017
I'm getting rid of my 5950x and X570 Unify for a Z590 and 11900k.

There's just something about AMD I don't like, I've had nothing but issues, it all just feels unfinished.

I don't remember having it feel like that when I had an 8700k.

Also seem to get micro stutters and hitches in a lot of games. I'm not sure if that's down to having two chiplets and Windows switching between them.

Anyone else going back or sticking with intel?

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017

There's just something about AMD I don't like, I've had nothing but issues, it all just feels unfinished.

Also seem to get micro stutters and hitches in a lot of games. I'm not sure if that's down to having two chiplets and Windows switching between them.

You're making me nervous. Hoping to get to my 5600X build this weekend. It will be my first AMD build. Always Intel before this.

billiam

Oct 28, 2017
Finally got my build completed, as the parts trickled in over about 7 weeks. Had to settle for 5800x (still very nice perf) as the 5900x I planned just kept getting delay after delay. I actually had waited longer for that than the GPU despite spending way too much time online looking. This part scarcity is crazy even for ram hdd and psu.

Thankfully no issues at all so far, running for 2 weeks now. Even doing BIOS qflash went fine, although it didn't seem to do anything at first when updating. As for the USB issue, I only have m/kb but nothing abnormal yet.

AMD 5800x
Evga 3090
Aorus Master x570
Gskill trident z royal 32gb (2-16gb)
Corsair rm850x
Sabrent 2tb nvme
Secondary drive samsung 970 1tb nvme
Noctua nh-u14s
Corsair 780t case
BIOS version f32

Temps at rest
CPU 35c
GPU 41c
Other temps being monitoring about 30-37c

Happy to answer other questions about components or performance

OCD Guy

Nov 2, 2017
You're making me nervous. Hoping to get to my 5600X build this weekend. It will be my first AMD build. Always Intel before this.

Don't be there seems to be lots of people happy. AMD seem to be the go to cpu now.

The last PC rig I had was an 8700k and 1080Ti which I sold, went to consoles and then when I built again saw that Ryzen was the one to go for.

To be honest the reason I didn't go for a 10900k was the lack of PCIe 4.0 for NVMe.

It's probably just old habits, but I just found everything easier with intel, even overclocking, raise the multi,and vcore and test for stability.

I find the curve optimiser annoying to test each core for stability, and often you can be stable under load but it's idle or low loads where you blue screen.

It's just my personal opinion, and it looks like I'm in the minority. I'm sure you'll be happy with your build :)

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I've been using a 5600x and 3070 new build since November and it's been great. No issues at all with everything I've thrown at it.
3070 is all I have yet to get...stick with 980ti. :/
Don't be there seems to be lots of people happy. AMD seem to be the go to cpu now.

The last PC rig I had was an 8700k and 1080Ti which I sold, went to consoles and then when I built again saw that Ryzen was the one to go for.

To be honest the reason I didn't go for a 10900k was the lack of PCIe 4.0 for NVMe.

It's probably just old habits, but I just found everything easier with intel, even overclocking, raise the multi,and vcore and test for stability.

I find the curve optimiser annoying to test each core for stability, and often you can be stable under load but it's idle or low loads where you blue screen.

It's just my personal opinion, and it looks like I'm in the minority. I'm sure you'll be happy with your build :)
:) okay thanks.

TheRizza7

Oct 30, 2017
Still rocking a 730 and only play at 1080. What card would the people recommend to get me into the times at the best price? (Still playing 1080... for now)

GeezyAF

Oct 28, 2017

Last year I went from 9900k -> 3700x in anticipation of Zen 3 -> 10700k. I plan on getting an 11900k.

Agree with you on the old habits for OC'ing.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
I have my PC nearly built. (Still need a video card.)

Added a blu ray player.

Still need a video card... I'm tempted to get a GT 710 until things settle down.

Overall the build has been really nice. I love building my own PC. I've never used an after market CPU heatsink + fan before. This thing is a monster, and was the only difficult thing to get in.

Last edited:

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I have my PC built.

Added a blu ray player.

Still need a video card... I'm tempted to get a GT 710 until things settle down.

Overall the build has been really nice. I love building my own PC. I've never used an after market CPU heatsink + fan before. This thing is a monster, and was the only difficult thing to get in.

Hey congrats! What temps are you getting with the 5800x and the Hyper 212?

myzhi

Oct 27, 2017

My 5950x and B550i works fine except for know issue with Realtek 2.5 gigabit lan port loosing internet randomly.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone help me out finding the correct replacement battery for my older XPS 13 9350, please?

Here's the spec manual.

If you go to the battery section you get this info:

Type 4‑cell 56 WHr smart lithium ion
Dimensions: Width 103.50 mm (4.07 in), Depth257.60 mm (10.14 in), Height5.20 mm (0.20 in)
Weight (maximum) 0.25 kg (0.55 lb)
Voltage 8.8 VDC
Charging time when the computer is off (approximate) 4 hours
Operating time Varies depending on operating conditions and can significantly reduce under certain power‑intensive conditions.
Life span (approximate) 300 discharge/charge cycles
Temperature range: Operating0°C to 35°C (32°F to 95°F)Storage–40°C to 65°C (–40°F to 149°F)
Coin‑cell battery DP/N W6NPD

Here's a few on Ebay.

They all list the 9350, but I just want to be sure I'm getting the right one.

the laptop is old and I don't really care about long term use, I just need something to work remotely for the next couple of weeks.

Cheers![/quote]

PhantomFFR

Oct 25, 2017
Vienna, Austria, EU, Earth
Still rocking a 730 and only play at 1080. What card would the people recommend to get me into the times at the best price? (Still playing 1080... for now)

Buying used virtually anything that was mid-high end and released in the past 10 years (like a Radeon HD 7770/GTX 460 or better/newer) would probably offer better performance* and might be an easier sell at cost later even in these dire times for GPU supply.

*as in allowing you to actually play some games that have graphics.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
What kind of performance are you getting with the new card? im on a 970 myself waiting for the gpu market to calm down some before I add a more up to date card to my new build (my 5800x has been worth it on its own so far)
You are looking at about 4 times of pure GPU performance, all things considered. That game you are fiddling settings here and there just to get it run stable at 1080p60fps? 1440p120+ at max settings now, probably.

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
Hey all. After paying two cards off and talking things over with my brother, think I am ready to take the plunge into building or getting a gaming PC again.

He'll be taking over a few of the side things, such as the keyboard, mouse etc and eventually go half with the end cost, but I have to say, I am very out of the loop! Last PC I had played Dark Souls and those patches when they just came out to give you an idea. Alright, to answer the questions. No rush... Thinking I'll start looking for parts in a week or so

1. What's your budget and currency?
  2. What do you want to use the computer for? (gaming? web? video editing? everything?)
  3. When do you plan to purchase the parts and build it?
  4. Are you reusing any parts or are you building a completely new computer?
  5. Do you only need the computer itself or do you need accessories, such as a monitor, mouse, keyboard, and speakers?
  6. Do you want to overclock? (will make your PC faster, but requires better cooling and can have various side effects)
Budget is between.. $1500-1700 total for my end, US bucks. I will mainly be using it for emulation, Steam games I have, as well as indie games that appeal to me either from my library at ichio or other places I got them from and haven't played! Also, my brother will use it on occasion to edit his Gundam video and upload them to YouTube, and I will do the same with dashcam video I may capture. Also will have some Auto repair/analysis software, but think it isn't too demanding

I plan on buying and building around this month. Monster Hunter Rise might distract a bit, admittedly. I don't really have any parts saved outside of a old 480 GB hard drive and DVD ROM from my previous computer.

Accessories will be bought by my brother. He is picking up a monitor from a friend of his but I have no information on that. Have previously overclocked my former gaming PC and got good performance with it but it was a traditional air-cooled with a big cooling added to the CPU. Never did liquid cooling so it would be new to me.

Extra details: don't really need like those shiny RGB case things it's really doesn't fit my aesthetic. As long as it functions as an efficient case and has USB slots it's fine. Also clueless on how Windows works now, as I mainly use my phone for most things! Just a note more than anything.

If important, I do live an hour away from a MicroCenter and wouldn't mind going to the store itself as I saw a couple weeks ago they had parts only available at the locations. Oh, don't mind either AMD or Intel, but I had an AMD before.

Thanks for the help ahead of time. Looking forward to having a machine again.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
Go to the microcenter or call them to confirm if and when they'll have decent GPUs in stock, a 3060Ti or a 3070. Get that sorted, the rest should be easy.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I recently upgraded from a GTX 1070 to an RTX 3080 so I'm new to RTX and DLSS...does DLSS automatically add anti-aliasing?...if a game features an AA setting do I enable that along with DLSS or do I disable it?

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
I recently upgraded from a GTX 1070 to an RTX 3080 so I'm new to RTX and DLSS...does DLSS automatically add anti-aliasing?...if a game features an AA setting do I enable that along with DLSS or do I disable it?
DLSS is a form of AA itself, it automatically disables TAA (or any other form of post process AA).

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
so AA of any kind (TAA, MSAA, SMAA etc) cannot be used with DLSS (even when using a 3rd party tool like ReShade)?

I'm sure you could externally force a post process AA like SMAA or FXAA if you really wanted to, but all you'd be doing at that point is degrading the image. DLSS gives the best form of anti-aliasing you can get outside of silly amounts of supersampling. Despite rendering at 1440p, 4K DLSS quality is more temporally stable than native 4k with TAA.

Memento Mori

Oct 26, 2017
What kind of performance are you getting with the new card? im on a 970 myself waiting for the gpu market to calm down some before I add a more up to date card to my new build (my 5800x has been worth it on its own so far)
At 1440p and a mix of high/ultra settings I'm getting basically a minimum of 100 fps in everything bar Microsoft Flight Simulator. Performance is great.

TheRizza7

Oct 30, 2017
Buying used virtually anything that was mid-high end and released in the past 10 years (like a Radeon HD 7770/GTX 460 or better/newer) would probably offer better performance* and might be an easier sell at cost later even in these dire times for GPU supply.

*as in allowing you to actually play some games that have graphics.

Thanks! I'll look into these soon

Strangiato

Oct 28, 2017
What is the different between an SFX and an SGX PSU? Can't seem to find this question asked online anywhere.