• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

myzhi

Oct 27, 2017
FYI: I got a B550I Pro AX recently and it wasn't on a 5xxx compatible firmware.

Couldn't get Q Flash to work at all, any way, put the CPU in and it recognised it and loaded W10 fine. Downloaded the BIOS that way then flashed to an official 5xxx FW.
Got the same board and Q flash without any issue. I just use MB and PSU. I read the more hardware you have install the problems it may cause.

dcchambers

Jan 28, 2020
Putting together a new build for the first time since my last build in 2011. Through some patience and luck was able to get everything at MSRP without too much hastle. My first time ever owning an AMD cpu. Only thing I really struggled sourcing was the GPU, and I ended up buying it off my friend who managed to get an extra while doing his build. I'm just happy he was willing to sell it to me at cost - he could have flipped it online for an nice profit. The PC building market is insane these days. Had no idea it had gotten so bad until I decided to put together a new build, but it didn't seem like waiting was going to help the situation.

- AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
- Nvidia Founder's Edition RTX 3060 Ti
- MSI MEG X570 Unify
- Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz 32GB (2x16GB dual rank sticks)
- Samsung 980 Pro PCIe NVMe M.2 1TB
- EVGA SuperNova 80 Plus Gold 750 Watt PSU
- Fractal Define 7 Compact White Case

Main uses are gaming and some development work in linux, although I mainly use a MBP for coding these days. I might swap out the CPU for a 5800X or 5900X if I can get my hands on one in the next few months but I'm not too worried about it since I don't stream or anything. At some point I'll add some more storage (hopefully when the price 2TB NVMe drives come down...this motherboard has space for THREE NVMe M.2 drives). I've got some SATA SSDs I can throw in thew for now. I went with 2x 16GB sticks so I could easily double the RAM in a few years when I need/want to. I'm also going to give the stock AMD cooler a try with the CPU and see what the noises and temps are like. I've got an AIO liquid cooler right now that has worked well, but I don't plan on overclocking so I don't really think it's necessary.

Despite upgrades over the years to GPU and RAM, my 2011 build is finally starting to show its age, especially in CPU-bound games like Monster Hunter World. Excited to be able to play some of the latest releases in all their glory. I have a 4K 60hz monitor right now, but plan on buying a 1440p 144hz/G-sync monitor at some point.

Darksol

Oct 28, 2017
Japan
Haven't kept up with powerful desktops since the last one I purchased a decade ago. Seems I should ask for advice.

Would like some suggestions on what to buy with a roughly $3000 USD budget (can be persuaded to go a few hundred more or less if the difference is noticeable). Don't wanna build it, just wanna add to cart and have it shipped ASAP, lol.

Basically, wifey is going heavy into digital art, and will also likely spend some time with 3D modelling , Unity, and other aspects of game creation. That being said, she's aiming more indie (wants to make something on par with Hollow Knight); we're not talking Naughty Dog photorealism. Still, anything well suited to keep rendering times down.

I just want a sick pc to run games buttery smooth. I figure there's a lot of crossover in our wishes.

Bonus points for SSDs/NVMes, rigs that don't look like shit, fancy cooling solutions, multiple hard drives, or 32GB of ram.

Also, don't factor a monitor into this cost, we will probably just use a spare TCL monitor we have lying around and get a much better monitor on a future paycheck. Monitor advice is always welcome though.

I'm not a fanboy and don't care whether Intel or AMD — whatever is awesome.
Help me oh wise Era techies ^_^

Last edited:

Ostinatto

Oct 30, 2017
Just got my brand new PC:

- CPU: I9 10900KF
- MOTHER: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-H
- RAM: KINGSTON 32GB 3600HZ
- GPU: RTX 3080 FTW3
- SSD: KINGSTON M.2 1TB
- HDD: TOSHIBA 1TB

Something really weird is happening to the computer, after doing a clean windows 10 installation, and having all the drivers for the official website, the Motherboard cant install drivers properly
WmjbzzV.jpg

Second: on the task manager windows, Toshiba HDD is getting 100% activity for some reason.
SVKjfOa.jpg

Any idea on what is causing these issues? thanks

Heysoos

Prophet of Truth
Nov 3, 2017
Someone help me out, I'm a little ignorant on AIOs. I'm trying to use the BIOS settings for this but no matter what I do my Artic Freezer 2 only ever runs at like 793RPMs according to my MOBO software (Asrock A-Tuning). My case fans are seemingly fine. Even when set to run at 100% it just stays at 793RPMs.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
Just got my brand new PC:

- CPU: I9 10900KF
- MOTHER: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-H
- RAM: KINGSTON 32GB 3600HZ
- GPU: RTX 3080 FTW3
- SSD: KINGSTON M.2 1TB
- HDD: TOSHIBA 1TB

Something really weird is happening to the computer, after doing a clean windows 10 installation, and having all the drivers for the official website, the Motherboard cant install drivers properly
WmjbzzV.jpg

Second: on the task manager windows, Toshiba HDD is getting 100% activity for some reason.
SVKjfOa.jpg

Any idea on what is causing these issues? thanks
Did you actually install the OS on the hard drive? Because that's exactly what it looks like (C: is the default OS drive label).

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Someone help me out, I'm a little ignorant on AIOs. I'm trying to use the BIOS settings for this but no matter what I do my Artic Freezer 2 only ever runs at like 793RPMs according to my MOBO software (Asrock A-Tuning). My case fans are seemingly fine. Even when set to run at 100% it just stays at 793RPMs.

Is the pump plugged into the AIO_PUMP header on your motherboard? Usually that is the fan header that runs 100% all of the time (some motherboards let you tune, others are 100% locked)

Heysoos

Prophet of Truth
Nov 3, 2017
Is the pump plugged into the AIO_PUMP header on your motherboard? Usually that is the fan header that runs 100% all of the time (some motherboards let you tune, others are 100% locked)

It's installed on the CPU 1 header, there's a CPU 2 header that had Water Pump fan control but I was told the Freezer 2 should go on CPU1. Is it supposed to go on CPU 2/WP?

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
It's installed on the CPU 1 header, there's a CPU 2 header that had Water Pump fan control but I was told the Freezer 2 should go on CPU1. Is it supposed to go on CPU 2/WP?

I think it's worth a try; I'm not sure why you were told CPU1, but if you can't get the RPMs you want there try the other one.

Otherwise I suspect it's that you're in a mode where it's running based on temperature only, even if you change the settings.

daprodigalson

Oct 27, 2017
Hi chaps (UK specifically) just wondering if you guys could advise me on the bes gpu I can get for around £300 at the mo?

Rest of spec all ready sourced

X99 mobo
32gb ddr4 3200 ram
Zeon E5 2678v3
750w 80+ gold psu
Air cooled

Appreciate its not an all new parts top spec machine, but am on a budget

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
Hi all.

OBS and my MacBook Pro don't play nice when I'm streaming and to prevent needless CPU strain on an otherwise great laptop, I am eyeing building a PC. I bought an XSX but think I'll return it and make a PC my GamePass/streaming machine. That said, I'm completely green to the world of PCs.

My hope is to build a PC for right around $500 USD (slightly flexible, excluding monitor, OS, peripherals, etc) that has a strong upgrade path so down the road I can grab some beefier cards, more memory, larger HDD/SDD, etc. My understanding is spending the money on a PSU/motherboard/CPU/case/cooling would be where to put the bulk of my ~$500 as these would be expected to be the more stable elements of my PC build, with the understanding I'd probably drop another $500 or so on upgrading to an SSD, grabbing a nicer graphics card and improving the memory situation at some point.

Looking for advice here as to how you folks might proceed forward?

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Finished the build! Everything worked flawlessly until the windows instalation and the stupid USB stick, but after a few trials I managed to install everything. Now, I read about the Ryzen CPU being hot but wow they really are.

Build is

Ryzen 5 3600
Asus Prime x570-P
16 Gb DDR4 3200Mhz Crucial Ballistix
Adata SX8200 Pro 512 Gb
Seagate Barracuda 2 TB HDD (7200Rpm, 256mb cache)
Zotac 1060 6 gb Mini
be Quiet! 600W Pure Power 11 Gold

Idle CPU is easy between 50-60c, gaming depends on game, Apex legends 68ºC-70 somethings, Battlefield V 83 to 88ºC. I am using the stock cooler with the thermal paste it came with, could that be why it's so high? I know stock cooler isn't very cool, but I expected a game like BFV to top at 80, not 88ºC. Then again, I've read these temps are normal.

For reference, previously the I7 4770 in the same case, with stock intel cooler, and a bit of Artic Silver thermal paste, it never went above 70ºC EDIT: The rest of the components are fine in temperature. GPU keeps the same as before (70 something, it's summer here), NVME 37º on Idle, etc.

PD: Wow did gaming change with the CPU. Same GPU, but BFV has no stutter or frame pacing issues. Framedrops are really GPU related, poor poor 1060

Heysoos

Prophet of Truth
Nov 3, 2017
I think it's worth a try; I'm not sure why you were told CPU1, but if you can't get the RPMs you want there try the other one.

Otherwise I suspect it's that you're in a mode where it's running based on temperature only, even if you change the settings.

Sorry, fell asleep last night. Changed it to CPU 2/WP header and still the same issues. Fans stuck at low RPMs, 780-800ish range. Even if I try to change it in the BIOS it seems to be stuck there no matter what. :/

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
Finished the build! Everything worked flawlessly until the windows instalation and the stupid USB stick, but after a few trials I managed to install everything. Now, I read about the Ryzen CPU being hot but wow they really are.

Build is

Ryzen 5 3600
Asus Prime x570-P
16 Gb DDR4 3200Mhz Crucial Ballistix
Adata SX8200 Pro 512 Gb
Seagate Barracuda 2 TB HDD (7200Rpm, 256mb cache)
Zotac 1060 6 gb Mini
be Quiet! 600W Pure Power 11 Gold

Idle CPU is easy between 50-60c, gaming depends on game, Apex legends 68ºC-70 somethings, Battlefield V 83 to 88ºC. I am using the stock cooler with the thermal paste it came with, could that be why it's so high? I know stock cooler isn't very cool, but I expected a game like BFV to top at 80, not 88ºC. Then again, I've read these temps are normal.

For reference, previously the I7 4770 in the same case, with stock intel cooler, and a bit of Artic Silver thermal paste, it never went above 70ºC EDIT: The rest of the components are fine in temperature. GPU keeps the same as before (70 something, it's summer here), NVME 37º on Idle, etc.

PD: Wow did gaming change with the CPU. Same GPU, but BFV has no stutter or frame pacing issues. Framedrops are really GPU related, poor poor 1060
It also depends on your case since I don't see it being listed. Stock Wraith Stealth is just adequate and yes you'd much better off switching to any well known $30-40 air cooler.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Running out of space on my 1TB NVME drive which I have my boot drive on. Is it worth getting a second one for games or should I just get a regular SSD?

Heysoos

Prophet of Truth
Nov 3, 2017
What fans (and fan spec, if you know it) is it?

It's some Arctics fans, they're rated at 200-1800rpm.

Edit: I think I'm just going to pick up a new AIO today at work, CPU is idling at ~70c so don't want to keep running like this, I'll change it out tonight and see if it was that.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
It's some Arctics fans, they're rated at 200-1800rpm.

Edit: I think I'm just going to pick up a new AIO today at work, CPU is idling at ~70c so don't want to keep running like this, I'll change it out tonight and see if it was that.

Even at that fan speed that's REALLY high. Which model of Freezer 2 do you have? And what CPU? I have the 360 model on a Ryzen 7 5800X and my idles are around 40c with about 930RPM.

Darksol

Oct 28, 2017
Japan
Posted elsewhere about my PC build since I wasn't getting any reply in this thread, and was basically chastised about building a PC right now, and told that due to shortages, all you can find is crap or overpriced shit at the moment.

How much truth is there to that, or did I just have a few salty users because I wanted to make 3000-3500$ rig?

A computer I have to wait months for isn't exactly worth saving a couple hundred bucks in my estimation. So unless PC prices are massively inflated across the board I don't see why I can't order now :/

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, same. Freezer 2 360 on a Ryzen 7 5800x.

Hmm, only thing I can suggest is recheck how the cooler is mounted. It's my first AIO sorry.

Posted elsewhere about my PC build since I wasn't getting any reply in this thread, and was basically chastised about building a PC right now, and told that due to shortages, all you can find is crap or overpriced shit at the moment.

How much truth is there to that, or did I just have a few salty users because I wanted to make 3000-3500$ rig?

A computer I have to wait months for isn't exactly worth saving a couple hundred bucks in my estimation. So unless PC prices are massively inflated across the board I don't see why I can't order now :/

If you have the cash and aren't paying markups it's no worse than any other time imo. GPU's seem difficult to find but everything else seems readily available. Though this will depend on where you are to some extent.

Darksol

Oct 28, 2017
Japan
Hmm, only thing I can suggest is recheck how the cooler is mounted. It's my first AIO sorry.

If you have the cash and aren't paying markups it's no worse than any other time imo. GPU's seem difficult to find but everything else seems readily available. Though this will depend on where you are to some extent.

Thats pretty much what I figured yeah. Thanks.

Trixie Mattel

Nov 9, 2017
Finally taking the plunge to assembling my first build today, what is the go-to beginners youtube tutorial to assembling one's PC?

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Running out of space on my 1TB NVME drive which I have my boot drive on. Is it worth getting a second one for games or should I just get a regular SSD?
Considering there's basically no real performance gains in games going from a SATA to an NVMe SSD, I'd just get a fat SSD for games and reserve some space on the NVMe for your most-played titles.

Of course, down the road when DirectStorage/RTX IO start coming into play this could all change and perhaps a PCI-E 4.0 NVMe will be significantly faster in games that support it, but for now unless you really want to future-proof, don't see a reason to own two NVMe drives.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
This is a list of all the parts I have, got them all ready for unboxing right now and raring to go!

I recommend building outside the case (just put the motherboard on top of the box it came in) That way, if you need to troubleshoot and take things apart and put back together, it'll be a lot easier doing it outside the case. Did you download the AMD chipset drivers and the motherboard drivers as well? Also, if you have a 5600x you will likely need to flash the latest BIOS onto the motherboard so you can actually use that CPU. Otherwise it won't be recognized and you can't boot up the PC.

The BIOS for your board can be found here: https://rog.asus.com/us/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-x570-e-gaming-model/helpdesk_bios/

Trixie Mattel

Nov 9, 2017
I recommend building outside the case (just put the motherboard on top of the box it came in) That way, if you need to troubleshoot and take things apart and put back together, it'll be a lot easier doing it outside the case. Did you download the AMD chipset drivers and the motherboard drivers as well? Also, if you have a 5600x you will likely need to flash the latest BIOS onto the motherboard so you can actually boot into Windows.

Yep! The motherboard BIOS has been updated along with the drivers. Didnt think about putting it together outside of the case so thanks for the tip!

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Use some discord stock notification channels and you should be able to get the CPU and GPU at MSRP at the very least with some dedication. Some other components may be tough to get still, like a motherboard in your price range for instance, or a power supply. It'll just take some more effort than it used to take, but it is doable.

Darksol

Oct 28, 2017
Japan
Use some discord stock notification channels and you should be able to get the CPU and GPU at MSRP at the very least with some dedication. Some other components may be tough to get still, like a motherboard in your price range for instance, or a power supply. It'll just take some more effort than it used to take, but it is doable.

I'm not building from scratch, just customizing a rig from ibuypower. They seem to have plenty of options. I'll just have a 4-6 week wait after my order. Too lazy to build or part hunt lol.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Hey guys, if I have a Prime 390-A motherboard, whats the best type of SSD I can get? I already have a Samsung 850 Evo 250GB for Windows, but I'm looking at around 2TB as an additional one for some of the new next gen games coming out. I just don't know much about the newer ones like m.2 or something.

PhantomFFR

Oct 25, 2017
Vienna, Austria, EU, Earth
Hi chaps (UK specifically) just wondering if you guys could advise me on the bes gpu I can get for around £300 at the mo?

Rest of spec all ready sourced

X99 mobo
32gb ddr4 3200 ram
Zeon E5 2678v3
750w 80+ gold psu
Air cooled

Appreciate its not an all new parts top spec machine, but am on a budget

GPU at the moment is tricky. Maybe with some luck something like a (used) RTX 2070/2060Super or RX5700 could be found for 300GBP. But looking at continental European prices, that might requrire a lot of luck.

But if I may ask: Why did you pick that CPU? That seems fairly ill-fitted for gaming with its 12 cores but maximum frequency of 2.5GHz.

Hi all.

OBS and my MacBook Pro don't play nice when I'm streaming and to prevent needless CPU strain on an otherwise great laptop, I am eyeing building a PC. I bought an XSX but think I'll return it and make a PC my GamePass/streaming machine. That said, I'm completely green to the world of PCs.

My hope is to build a PC for right around $500 USD (slightly flexible, excluding monitor, OS, peripherals, etc) that has a strong upgrade path so down the road I can grab some beefier cards, more memory, larger HDD/SDD, etc. My understanding is spending the money on a PSU/motherboard/CPU/case/cooling would be where to put the bulk of my ~$500 as these would be expected to be the more stable elements of my PC build, with the understanding I'd probably drop another $500 or so on upgrading to an SSD, grabbing a nicer graphics card and improving the memory situation at some point.

Looking for advice here as to how you folks might proceed forward?

What's the problem with your MacBook and OBS?
500 USD for a gaming PC (what games?) that can also stream might be a bit hard to do. Especially if you want it to be upgradeable in the future.

Building is problematic, as the fastest CPUs and basically all GPUs are a) hard to find and b) if you can find them likely priced much higher than they should be. I'd seriously consider going for a pre-built, perhaps from one of the more reputable system builder/boutique system builders, that allow you configure the specs yourself. that should mitigate both issues to a large degree, especially at your price point.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
What's the problem with your MacBook and OBS?
500 USD for a gaming PC (what games?) that can also stream might be a bit hard to do. Especially if you want it to be upgradeable in the future.

I have a newer MBP:

Model Identifier: MacBookPro16,2
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 512 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 16 GB
Chipset Model: Intel Iris Plus Graphics

It seems to be an optimization issue because OBS immediately gets fans spinning. Using an HD60S+ and the Facetime HD Camera as my sources and while I expect some huffing and puffing while streaming, it's utilizing 30-40% of my memory and CPU at any given time. If I open up my browser or anything else I can expect fans to get louder. I'm only streaming for 10-15 minutes at a time (just testing stuff out) but have concerns about how it would hold up streaming with any regularity.

I should have been clearer with my intentions too: I have a Switch and a PS5 so this would be the third wheel in terms of AAA games for me--it would be primarily used as a streaming-specific device that I can eventually upgrade into a more robust PC. $500 was mostly because I am planning to return the XSX I bought, but I'd say up to $700 is something I'm comfortable with--beyond that is just not in my budget at present.

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe I dropped $900 on upgrades this past week. What an expensive hobby:

2600x -> 3800x - $250 (used)
16GB 3200 Ram -> 32GB 3600 Ram - $142 (open box)
1660Super -> 3070FE - $500

Hope this quenches the thirst for quite a while... but now I have components to make a second PC.
when does it end?

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't believe I dropped $900 on upgrades this past week. What an expensive hobby:

2600x -> 3800x - $250 (used)
16GB 3200 Ram -> 32GB 3600 Ram - $142 (open box)
1660Super -> 3070FE - $500

Hope this quenches the thirst for quite a while... but now I have components to make a second PC.
when does it end?
Howd you manage the 3070fe for $500

Nov 8, 2017
Putting together a new build for the first time since my last build in 2011. Through some patience and luck was able to get everything at MSRP without too much hastle. My first time ever owning an AMD cpu. Only thing I really struggled sourcing was the GPU, and I ended up buying it off my friend who managed to get an extra while doing his build. I'm just happy he was willing to sell it to me at cost - he could have flipped it online for an nice profit. The PC building market is insane these days. Had no idea it had gotten so bad until I decided to put together a new build, but it didn't seem like waiting was going to help the situation.

- AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
- Nvidia Founder's Edition RTX 3060 Ti

How did you find the 3060 Ti?

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I finally picked up an EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra this morning from my local Micro Center...it uses 3 8-pin power connectors...do I really need to use 3 separate cables for each connection or can I just use 1 cable that has 2 connectors?...my Corsair PSU has 4 separate 8-pin cables (with 2 connectors per cable) but that would mean I would need to push out or remove my PSU to attach the new cables and that would be annoying...

Brandino

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
I finally picked up an EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra this morning from my local Micro Center...it uses 3 8-pin power connectors...do I really need to use 3 separate cables for each connection or can I just use 1 cable that has 2 connectors?...my Corsair PSU has 4 separate 8-pin cables (with 2 connectors per cable) but that would mean I would need to push out or remove my PSU to attach the new cables and that would be annoying...
You probably should not daisy chain it. You could overload the psu.

Brandino

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
when did this become a thing?...for years I thought it was perfectly fine to daisy chain it...why would PSU manufacturers supply 2 connectors per cable if it would harm the PSU or GPU?
The 3080 is a power hungry card though. Anything else, you'd probably be fine, but the higher end Ampere cards eat power for breakfast. So to speak

Oct 25, 2017
Dundee, Scotland
Help.

I have an old PC that we use as mostly a media server. Old AMD build that I slung a spare 1050Ti into for 4K video. Nvidia driver update ran earlier, and now it won't output video, at all. No onboard gfx so can't switch back to that. The only spare gfx card I have is a 1060, but that's no use, same drivers! I know what the issue is, but I can't access the PC to get rid of the drivers. It's infuriating.

Any ideas?

Really need to resolve this asap as the kids have been using the PC as a makeshift WFH machine for home schooling.

Brandino

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Help.

I have an old PC that we use as mostly a media server. Old AMD build that I slung a spare 1050Ti into for 4K video. Nvidia driver update ran earlier, and now it won't output video, at all. No onboard gfx so can't switch back to that. The only spare gfx card I have is a 1060, but that's no use, same drivers! I know what the issue is, but I can't access the PC to get rid of the drivers. It's infuriating.

Any ideas?

Really need to resolve this asap as the kids have been using the PC as a makeshift WFH machine for home schooling.
Does booting into safe mode bypass the video drivers?