• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Best thing to look out for is to not enable scalpers by getting one from eBay. Discord notification bots are the way. With a little bit of luck and some dedication you should be able to get one at MSRP.

I get that but even a Founders Edition in Germany? I do not want any cheap AIB card since I'm coming off a GTX 1070 with a absolute inaudible Arctic Accelero Xtreme III Cooler and I'm honestly done with GPU coolers I can hear after the terrible GTX 1070 Dual stock cooler, a loud Radeon HD 7970 and a Radeon 4850 and 5770 that were loud enough to be heard from the neighbor flat and I'm not joking here.

bloodyroarx

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Hey folks, were cobbling together a PC for the kiddo and I was offered a used 1060 6GB which is perfect but how much do I offer for it?

I was thinking $75 usd plus shipping but is that too low?

Oct 25, 2017
oh boy I went and very impulsively puled the trigger on an mITX case, not realizing the very short supply of available mITX mobos available to buy for my 9700k.

Any suggestions? BH has the GIgabyte z390 board listed as 2-4 weeks out and looks like the best option that doesn't involve not way overspending lol.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
Some leaks about the 11400 starting to appear. With B560 now offering memory overclocking and the increased IPC this really looks it's shaping up to be the "bang for buck" gaming CPU to finally replace the 3600. AMD's inexcusable $100 price bump (with price cuts, more like $150) to the 6c12t segment leaves the pricepoint wide open and the 10400 was already really strong it was just the lack of memory overclocking on affordable midrange boards that held it back. Remove that restriction and bump up IPC and you're looking at a great gaming CPU for the money.

www-tomshardware-com.cdn.ampproject.org

Intel Core i5-11400, Core i7-11700 Show Good IPC Gains

Not 19%, but good enough

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
I have a question about PSU since I'm not well versed in electricity and stuff, so pardon my ignorance and limited understanding of the subject. So I'm planning to buy a 550 watt PSU, specifically the Seasonic Focus Gold. However, my room only supports up to 550 watts worth of electricity. My question is, considering my room is barely able to hold the PSU's power, will it pose a problem to the PSU and my room (power cut, etc.). If I turned on my PC with the PSU, would it immediately charge 550 watts of electricity or only enough electricity needed by the components of my PC?

My PC specs:
i7 4770
8GB DDR 3
1 HDD + 1 SSD
750Ti (planning to replace it with the 3060 non-Ti, hence me planning to buy the PSU lol)

Thanks!

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a question about PSU since I'm not well versed in electricity and stuff, so pardon my ignorance and limited understanding of the subject. So I'm planning to buy a 550 watt PSU, specifically the Seasonic Focus Gold. However, my room only supports up to 550 watts worth of electricity. My question is, considering my room is barely able to hold the PSU's power, will it pose a problem to the PSU and my room (power cut, etc.). If I turned on my PC with the PSU, would it immediately charge 550 watts of electricity or only enough electricity needed by the components of my PC?

My PC specs:
i7 4770
8GB DDR 3
1 HDD + 1 SSD
750Ti (planning to replace it with the 3060 non-Ti, hence me planning to buy the PSU lol)

Thanks!
It's only going to draw as much power as it needs to at any given time and it will not be constant. When you're idling, it won't pull much, when you're browsing the web, a tad more, and when you fire up a game and the GPU kicks in, it'll start really pulling power. Even then it will rarely, if ever, hit that maximum wattage.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe a bit less, sub-$170. I sold a 1070 last month for ~$200, but it was a bit of a hassle to sell it for that price, and if I sold it for closer to market rate ($180-190) it probably wouldn't have taken over 2 weeks to sell.
In the recent weeks the GPU market has gotten so bad that a used 1070 for $200 is actually now a good deal

Ocho

Oct 25, 2017
My EVGA 3090 FTW3 I got on my built prebuilt computer 6 days ago bit the dust. It would flicker then my monitors would lose signal, and it would take several reboots to work again. Happened while gaming or otherwise. Apparently it's a common occurrence for EVGA's 30XX models? I have a RMA pending.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Well my good old i5-3570k has officially retired. Just built it in a "new" pc for my Dad from bits I've had spare from old builds.

This i5-3570k has just been a golden chip. Ran it daily @4.8ghz for years and years, even had a fairly stable 5.1ghz overclock for it to show off with, tho the temps where too high for daily use.

It's done everything I've ever thrown at it overclock wise, just couldn't reach 5.2ghz quite. Just could never sell it, wouldn't want to lose it.

It's gone now for lighter duties.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Well my good old i5-3570k has officially retired. Just built it in a "new" pc for my Dad from bits I've had spare from old builds.

This i5-3570k has just been a golden chip. Ran it daily @4.8ghz for years and years, even had a fairly stable 5.1ghz overclock for it to show off with, tho the temps where too high for daily use.

It's done everything I've ever thrown at it overclock wise, just couldn't reach 5.2ghz quite. Just could never sell it, wouldn't want to lose it.

It's gone now for lighter duties.
It's been my baby since 2012 as well. I'm still waiting on my 5900X to make my new build. Have everything else (except a new GPU) in place. My 3570k will stay a lighter task machine for the kids to use for school and games after I move on. I am really happy with it, but man I can't wait to move on from it to this new generation. Same for my 980ti. It's been good to me but...damn. It's time.

ChemicalWorld

Dec 6, 2017
I think at this point I'm going to give up looking for a white B550 mobo. The only I can find that fits the bill is the Asus ROG Strix B550-A. Problem is this mobo has the bad Intel LAN chipset and it lacks a USB C internal header (I have a Phanteks P500A case).

Pretty bummed that I'm going to have to go black, considering my Z190X I'm upgrading from had a sick white heatsink design :(

modernist

Jan 13, 2018
It's only going to draw as much power as it needs to at any given time and it will not be constant. When you're idling, it won't pull much, when you're browsing the web, a tad more, and when you fire up a game and the GPU kicks in, it'll start really pulling power. Even then it will rarely, if ever, hit that maximum wattage.

this is true, but runs parallel to the thought that the power draw can also spike up suddenly, especially with newer, more power hungry hardware - one of the reasons why cheaper PSUs that should supposedly support 3080s and 3090s but aren't from well known brands can sometimes struggle to post or will see crashes.

Extreme example but:

(video timestamped)

I'd be surprised if you could blow your power supply and/or room electricity with that setup though tbh, sounds fine.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What is the cheapest way to build a Ryzen 3200g build without a proper GPU? I was wondering if I should future proof some things (like the case) , but having a XSS I am good for newer games, so maybe I shouldn't. The most modern game I expect run would be Melty Blood Actress Again, and maybe Ys 8/Ys 9.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
Cheers! I hope my room can handle the PSU XD
As your question has been answered, may I enquire what odd kind of room this is? How do you know about that maximum wattage of your room?
To add a bit of context, I live in Indonesia, so there are many "quirkiness" regarding our houses and electricity and stuff. AFAIK, middle-class houses usually only have a maximum wattage of 1300 watt. So my parents used to rent some of the rooms in my house, and they divided the wattage: 550 watts in total for the rented rooms and the rest for the main house. I currently stay in the formerly rented room, so I can't really buy PSU with a high wattage lol

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Is there any preference for using one as the boot drive and other as storage from drives like this?

rfrZyYv.jpg

I'm guessing top boot, SSD files.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
Is there any preference for using one as the boot drive and other as storage from drives like this?

rfrZyYv.jpg

I'm guessing top boot, SSD files.
That WD Blue is actually SATA, not NVME. Get the SN750, Crucial P2/P5 or the Plextor M9Plus instead
this is true, but runs parallel to the thought that the power draw can also spike up suddenly, especially with newer, more power hungry hardware - one of the reasons why cheaper PSUs that should supposedly support 3080s and 3090s but aren't from well known brands can sometimes struggle to post or will see crashes.

Extreme example but:

(video timestamped)

I'd be surprised if you could blow your power supply and/or room electricity with that setup though tbh, sounds fine.

Excessive spike isn't really an issue for 3060s so it should do fine.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
So do most not put games on their boot drive? I bought Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 2tb drive in anticipation of just using that for a good long while in my new build.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any reason why I wouldn't get 100% GPU usage in games even with Gsync/Vsync disabled. My system maxes out at 97%

GPU 3070
CPU 3700x
32 GB ram
650 W PSU

Not a big issue, just curious.

Last edited:

myzhi

Oct 27, 2017
So do most not put games on their boot drive? I bought Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 2tb drive in anticipation of just using that for a good long while in my new build.
This really only applies to HDDs. No longer applicable with solid state drives. Similar to need to partition the drive for OS, media and etc.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have two Sabrent Rocket 4.0 2TB SSDs in a RAID 0 configuration as my boot drive. 4TB of PCIe 4.0 M.2 NVME SSD storage. I install all of my games on to my C drive.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
Any reason why I wouldn't get 100% GPU usage in games even with Gsync/Vsync disabled. My system maxes out at 97%

GPU 3070
CPU 3700x
32 GB ram
650 W PSU

Not a big issue, just curious.
Not an issue. This is quite common on 20 and 30 series cards, most likely due to power management. In games anything >95% is fine.

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
My year long arms race against my wallet due to the PC is very funny:
  1. Got a 2080 but felt it was underused with my 1080p 60hz monitor, so I got a 2K 144hz monitor.
  2. My 4 core i7 6700 non-K started bottlenecking at high FPS, so I updated to a 5900x.
  3. Now I set up everything and the 2080 is back to bottlenecking, with the 5900x sitting at a beautiful 25% usage when gaming.
This hobby is keeping me sane during lockdowns so it's all good.

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
I've got all the parts for my pc except GPU, I can get a Rx 480 for £110 locally should I just lump it and grab it till normality resumes ? Or wait and take the chance that I might be able to get an rtx 3060 preorder next month.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Would you say that a 2070 Super for less than launch price (all local pricing, mind you), roughly what currently a 2060/2060S is being sold at, is a good buy? I don't need it but I'm looking at it like hmmmmm

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
I've got all the parts for my pc except GPU, I can get a Rx 480 for £110 locally should I just lump it and grab it till normality resumes ? Or wait and take the chance that I might be able to get an rtx 3060 preorder next month.
Do you have a current GPU you could use until such time as a better one becomes available?
A 480 is a bit long in tooth for that price. Youcould probably find a 1660 or a 5500xt for that which would tide you over better

PhantomFFR

Oct 25, 2017
Vienna, Austria, EU, Earth
Do you have a current GPU you could use until such time as a better one becomes available?
A 480 is a bit long in tooth for that price. Youcould probably find a 1660 or a 5500xt for that which would tide you over better

Unless you have a way to travel back to November, I don't think that's actually true right now. In fact, I'd even go so far and say that a RX480 for 110 GBP is okay for where the market currently is, and unless something drastic changes, you'd probably be able to sell it without losing money.

PhantomFFR

Oct 25, 2017
Vienna, Austria, EU, Earth
Would you say that a 2070 Super for less than launch price (all local pricing, mind you), roughly what currently a 2060/2060S is being sold at, is a good buy? I don't need it but I'm looking at it like hmmmmm

Talking from a European perspective: If you can get a 2070S for less than 500€, right now you'd be able to sell it for that, or even a bit more than that used. But then again, if you don't need it urgently you could just as well (again seeing this through the perspective of living and buying/selling in Europe) stay on the lookout for a 3060Ti for a similar price (or even lower, if you are especially lucky). And if you don't have any use at all, then I don't think either would be worth the hassle.

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017

I don't and 1660 or 5500xt are both selling for like £220-£300+ which is absolutely ridiculous pricing for the power. I don't really want to spend that much when I'm going to lose a ton on it when normal stock resumes which is why I thought buying something around that £100ish price to tide me over is more smart because I'm number 1 spending less to begin with and number 2 probably losing less money in the end.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
I only just found out AURA lets you set static color for up to 5 separate segments of my RAM (G-Skill Trident Z). I typically have lighting low or off because it's distracting so I never played around enough with AURA - and I guess I could have made a logical conclusion seeing the rainbow effect - but it never occurred to me. Having this level of control is pretty fucking cool

image2ykkev.png

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with that is IIRC the propietary power connectors (and perhpas form factor) of Oblivion's PSU. So exchanging the PSU is not as trivial a matter as just buying a new ATX/SFX/TFX PSU. That said, we did reach the conclusion that there's a solid chance that a GPU that does not have an external power connector will work.

That's not quite the conclusion we got to. There are people that do just that, and even your conclusion was, that it "might work" and would be "worth a try".

Correct on all fronts, thanks. :)

what are your thoughts? should i get the 750, or wait until the 1650 becomes more affordable again?