• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

esco

Nov 15, 2017
Complete beginner when it comes to PC building. Would anyone be able to look through my list to see if I'm missing anything? Or anything I could change to make it better.

Also it seems like I won't be able to top mount my aio because of clearance issues. But could I take the RGB fans that come with the Corsair capellix and use them on the top of my case, and maybe use the 2 fans that come with my Meshify c mini case on the aio?

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
The used GPU market is stupid right now, everything costs way more than it's worth. I'd say keep an eye on discord notify bots and try to snag a 3060 Ti, it's not impossible.

sigh I guess. I'm subscribed to one of those, no luck so far. Problem is that with the price increase, tax will too and may overblow my budget (I have to import since prices in here are like $750+ for a 3060Ti).

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sigh I guess. I'm subscribed to one of those, no luck so far. Problem is that with the price increase, tax will too and may overblow my budget (I have to import since prices in here are like $750+ for a 3060Ti).
I guess try to get a good deal on a used GPU or something then, like a 1080 Ti or something.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Complete beginner when it comes to PC building. Would anyone be able to look through my list to see if I'm missing anything? Or anything I could change to make it better.

Also it seems like I won't be able to top mount my aio because of clearance issues. But could I take the RGB fans that come with the Corsair capellix and use them on the top of my case, and maybe use the 2 fans that come with my Meshify c mini case on the aio?
Nothing stands out about this build to me, looks like a good list of parts you've assembled! The one thing is that you can save $30 - $60 by switching to an air cooler and basically lose no performance. So if you're getting an AIO because of thermals and not for aesthetic reasons, I'd recommend that, as a 5600X just doesn't produce enough heat to require something like an AIO. You can also save about $25 on the RAM if you want to forego RGB, something like the G.Skill Ripjaw kit is about $175.

Last edited:

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What would you say it's a good price for something around that performance range? In USD, would $350 be too much?
I'd say $350 would be worth it. Nothing higher than that, and you'll probably have better luck getting a new GPU at MSRP than a 1080 Ti for that.

A 3060 Ti Founders Edition at $399 would definitely be better.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
Used gpu market is getting bonkers. The ancient GTX 1070 worth like 30-40% more then it did 1 and a half years ago when I bought it. o_O
At this point no one should buy anything unless they absolutely must.
Can confirm, it's crazy right now. I just sold my old MSI 5700 XT for $630 on ebay to fund my new 3070. I snagged it for $200 off FB marketplace in August and the card was basically brand new then. The thirst is real.

Oct 29, 2017
I see. So keep my Zotac?
Unless you really want another model and have the ability at the moment to acquire it. But all 3090 models just got a price increase this week if you are in the US.

There's at least one poster here who got the Zotac and then cancelled it after learning it was not one of the best 3090, but the story is different if you got yours when it was $1500 since now the price of a top 3090 is more like $2000 rather than $1700.

Last edited:

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
I may have dun goofed. I bought a 3070, intending to use EVGA step up to get an 3080. Forgot to add it in the 2 week window to skip buying the warranty so I'm trying to buy it now. Only, they only accept paypal and it keeps failing. Forum searching tells me that I need to have the money in the paypal wallet or it won't work. So I try to send the ~26 euros there, but the options are sending it in via bank transfer to their account in Germany where my bank requires their address since it's in a foreign country, or using "Trustly" which I do not trust at all since it wants to login to my bank account to send the money. So I sent the euros via bank transfer and I'm now waiting to see if it works.

I *could* return my 3070 and try to buy a 3080, but 1) they want 900 euros for one 2) the estimated delivery date is like three months out.

Oct 29, 2017

There aren't a lot of matx cases that actually fit a 240mm rad on top comfortably, they are usually cube like and more expensive, like the corsair 280x and the Lian Li O11D mini (requires SFX PSU). Which are a kind of RGB oriented too if you are going for that look.

That said, my recommendation for your build is that you don't need the AIO for the 5600X. You could fit a Scythe FUMA 2 inside the Meshify mini and that would be more than enough for that CPU.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Alright so, upgrade update

CPU Ryzen 5 3600, which has arrived!

Motherboard: ASUS X570-P
RAM: 2x8 gb 3200mhz Crucial Ballistix

Both MB and RAM have not arrived and should arrive by the 22nd

NVMe Storage: ADATA SX8200 Pro which will be bought before the Mobo and RAM arrives

Now, for the GPU, I'll just have to keep using the 1060 6gb. I really want to upgrade to maximize the CPU and the 144hz monitor, for that I wanted the 3060 Ti but it looks that I just wont be able to get it, at least in a lot of time until pricing, demand, stock, etc. settles.

Which GPU would be a good mid stop upgrade? 1080, 2060 ? Pricing for used parts suck too, so I don't even know if its worth paying for those. I am playing on a 1080p 144hz monitor, but was planning to use the 3060Ti with a future 4K tv (I know I'd have to tweak with resolution scale and stuff, but the main use will be the 144hz monitor, the 4K TV would just be a plus).

Hey Serpens - really don't buy a used stop gap GPU. The used market is so crazy high right now you will lose a disproportional amount of money when supplies normalize.

That's also another reason as to why the 3000 series cards are in demand; people can get top dollar for their used 1080ti's and used 2000-series. Seriously. Like easily 60-90% of original retail value.

If you can, get on one of the discords for 3000 series drops, and consider a 3070 as well as the 3060ti. Have payment methods saved on the recommended retailers sites.

Good build by the way!

Oct 25, 2017
That's also another reason as to why the 3000 series cards are in demand; people can get top dollar for their used 1080ti's and used 2000-series. Seriously. Like easily 60-90% of original retail value.
Datapoint here. Sold my heavily used GTX 1070 for $190. I bought it over 4 years ago for just over double that. Really softened the $400 blow of my new 3060 Ti. Never imagined I'd be able to sell a 4 year old electronic anything and make almost half of what I spent back on it.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
finally got my hands on a 5800x. Wanted the 5600, but it's time to finally put my 5th gen i7 to bed.

So a little more than i wanted to spend... then i had to get a mobo, okay getting expensive... then its all coming tomorrow FINALLY, and i realize that my Hyper EVO 212 is from a a prebuilt back in the day and doesnt actually have the hardware to mount. I'm too impatient to wait another week ordering the am4 accessories from, what seems to be the only place i can find it online, cooler master themselves. Also, it costs half the price of the cooler itself including shipping so let's be real, I might as well get myself a nice cooler and not some budget thing from a prebuilt forever ago...

So fast forward 30 minutes and i decided to sink another 150 for an AIO that I'll probably regret, but amazon ships it overnight so I still get to put everything together tomorrow!

Oct 25, 2017

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
finally got my hands on a 5800x. Wanted the 5600, but it's time to finally put my 5th gen i7 to bed.

So a little more than i wanted to spend... then i had to get a mobo, okay getting expensive... then its all coming tomorrow FINALLY, and i realize that my Hyper EVO 212 is from a a prebuilt back in the day and doesnt actually have the hardware to mount. I'm too impatient to wait another week ordering the am4 accessories from, what seems to be the only place i can find it online, cooler master themselves. Also, it costs half the price of the cooler itself including shipping so let's be real, I might as well get myself a nice cooler and not some budget thing from a prebuilt forever ago...

So fast forward 30 minutes and i decided to sink another 150 for an AIO that I'll probably regret, but amazon ships it overnight so I still get to put everything together tomorrow!
Nah, you made the right decision. An EVO 212 would've had trouble keeping up with a 5800X.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Nah, you made the right decision. An EVO 212 would've had trouble keeping up with a 5800X.
Good to know. I truly didn't even think about it, I've been putting all my energy into getting a CPU everything else was like.... oh wait i need other things! once amazon was like "btw your cpu that you preordered for 2 months from now is coming tomorrow!"

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

Which AIO did you get? I have a 5800x cooled by a 240mm Corsair H100x and it does a good job. I did replace the stock fans with Noctuas.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Which AIO did you get? I have a 5800x cooled by a 240mm Corsair H100x and it does a good job. I did replace the stock fans with Noctuas.
I grabbed a Fractal Design Celsius S24 (mainly because with my 30 min of research it was the best one i could find for a decent price that arrive tomorrow lol). I have so many extra noctuas I'm definitely replacing the fans.

ABeezy1388

Apr 5, 2018
So I picked up the 3090 FE I was able to get from Best Buy. Was going to try and trade it for a 3080 FE as I didn't want to spend that kind of money... right now I've got no bites on a trade plus cash. Maybe I'll keep it... I don't know? Here's my current build:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ITX WIFI
CPU: AMD RYZEN 5 3600X
Cooler: NOCTUA NH-L9a CHROMAX BLACK
GPU: EVGA RTX2080 SUPER BLACK GAMING
Memory: G. SKILL 32GB 2X16 D4 3200 RIPJAWS
Storage: IPSG 1TB I PREMIUM NVME SSD (boot drive)
Storage: IPSG 2TB I PREMIUM NVME SSD
Power Supply: EVGA 650GM 80+G FM SFX PSU
Case: LOUQE GHOST S1 LIMESTONE

If I keep I I will need to sell my case as it won't fit. I'm an ITX/SFF guy 100%. Any suggestions on a case that works well for the 3090? I don't want anything but I like the small footprint. If I get a new case I would try to package up my Ghost S1 with my EVGA 650 psu plus custom pslate cables for the ghost... any idea what kind of money I could sell those three things together for?

I would also then have a 2080 Super for sale. Excellent condition, still have the box etc. any idea what those are going for in todsy market?

so I would sell the case, psu, cables, and gpu. I would then need a new sff case, new psu... want the Corsair sf750 which is always OOS... would my cpu be ok for now? Im hoping so and that I wouldn't have to replace anything else right now. Maybe an aio...

sorry for the rant. I don't know what to do. Suggestions on all my comments anyone? Please and thanks 😊

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I picked up the 3090 FE I was able to get from Best Buy. Was going to try and trade it for a 3080 FE as I didn't want to spend that kind of money... right now I've got no bites on a trade plus cash. Maybe I'll keep it... I don't know? Here's my current build:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ITX WIFI
CPU: AMD RYZEN 5 3600X
Cooler: NOCTUA NH-L9a CHROMAX BLACK
GPU: EVGA RTX2080 SUPER BLACK GAMING
Memory: G. SKILL 32GB 2X16 D4 3200 RIPJAWS
Storage: IPSG 1TB I PREMIUM NVME SSD (boot drive)
Storage: IPSG 2TB I PREMIUM NVME SSD
Power Supply: EVGA 650GM 80+G FM SFX PSU
Case: LOUQE GHOST S1 LIMESTONE

If I keep I I will need to sell my case as it won't fit. I'm an ITX/SFF guy 100%. Any suggestions on a case that works well for the 3090? I don't want anything but I like the small footprint. If I get a new case I would try to package up my Ghost S1 with my EVGA 650 psu plus custom pslate cables for the ghost... any idea what kind of money I could sell those three things together for?

I would also then have a 2080 Super for sale. Excellent condition, still have the box etc. any idea what those are going for in todsy market?

so I would sell the case, psu, cables, and gpu. I would then need a new sff case, new psu... want the Corsair sf750 which is always OOS... would my cpu be ok for now? Im hoping so and that I wouldn't have to replace anything else right now. Maybe an aio...

sorry for the rant. I don't know what to do. Suggestions on all my comments anyone? Please and thanks 😊
EKWB releases a water block for the 3090 FE this month, then it'll fit. Check out Optimum Tech on YouTube for some SFF watercooling inspo.

You can make a killing off of that 2080 Super right now.

ABeezy1388

Apr 5, 2018
EKWB releases a water block for the 3090 FE this month, then it'll fit. Check out Optimum Tech on YouTube for some SFF watercooling inspo.

You can make a killing off of that 2080 Super right now.

I am honestly new to the pc game as of just about a year ago... I honestly don't want to water cool, I'm all about air or maybe just an aio but no full custom loop or water block or any of that. Beyond my comfort level or interests. In a sff it'll also be a challenge.

I do watch Optimum Tech. Did consider the FormD T1 but that was if I got a 3080. Maybe a NCase M1. I think that still ends up being his go to, and I believe can handle a 3090. I'll double check.

where do most people sell their cards right now? eBay is probably safest but man their seller fees are brutal. If I could make some good going on it I would sell it and just keep the 3090. No idea on going rate... I think I payed $800 in January 2020...

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I am honestly new to the pc game as of just about a year ago... I honestly don't want to water cool, I'm all about air or maybe just an aio but no full custom loop or water block or any of that. Beyond my comfort level or interests. In a sff it'll also be a challenge.

I do watch Optimum Tech. Did consider the FormD T1 but that was if I got a 3080. Maybe a NCase M1. I think that still ends up being his go to, and I believe can handle a 3090. I'll double check.

where do most people sell their cards right now? eBay is probably safest but man their seller fees are brutal. If I could make some good going on it I would sell it and just keep the 3090. No idea on going rate... I think I payed $800 in January 2020...

3090 fits in the T1, many people have been successful with it. But good luck trying to get a T1. It can't currently be ordered due to the team changing factories due to earlier production issues. NR200 may be an option, or maybe a Sliger case?

You can get more advice here:
www.resetera.com

Small Form Factor "Gaming" PC Thread (AKA HTPC) OT

Here are some useful resources that could be included in the OT whenever OP is unbanned and decides to update: SFF List - Google Sheets: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AddRvGWJ_f4B6UC7_IftDiVudVc8CJ8sxLUqlxVsCz4/edit#gid=1459265577 A well curated spreadsheet with separate sheets for...

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Man I was running Hearthstone on one monitor and playing a YouTube video on the other and only noticed for the first time just how much my cpu (3570k) was getting taxed. Spikes to 97% at points. Is that normal? I know it's old as dirt now but I wouldn't have imagined those two things would work it that hard. I mean I had Discord open as well...

I need that 5900x to ship.

ABeezy1388

Apr 5, 2018
3090 fits in the T1, many people have been successful with it. But good luck trying to get a T1. It can't currently be ordered due to the team changing factories due to earlier production issues. NR200 may be an option, or maybe a Sliger case?

You can get more advice here:
www.resetera.com

Small Form Factor "Gaming" PC Thread (AKA HTPC) OT

Here are some useful resources that could be included in the OT whenever OP is unbanned and decides to update: SFF List - Google Sheets: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AddRvGWJ_f4B6UC7_IftDiVudVc8CJ8sxLUqlxVsCz4/edit#gid=1459265577 A well curated spreadsheet with separate sheets for...

i knew many had 3080's in the T1, didn't realize 3090 was viable in that case. I'm aware of their issues so who knows when they'll be available. But yes... I'm already in that thread too. Traction here seems to be much better.

NR200 is nice and I like the look but it's huge. My ghost is just shy of 9L, the T1 just shy of 10, the M1 is about 12.5, NR200 jumps up to 18L. That's pushing it for me. OT seems to currently be running a 3090 in the M1. Hmm... all comes down to selling some of my stuff to recoup some money.

I did post on the SFF thread too but doesn't seem to get as much traction sadly.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Facebook Marketplace or OfferUp should serve you well for reselling that 2080 Super.

myzhi

Oct 27, 2017
i knew many had 3080's in the T1, didn't realize 3090 was viable in that case. I'm aware of their issues so who knows when they'll be available. But yes... I'm already in that thread too. Traction here seems to be much better.

NR200 is nice and I like the look but it's huge. My ghost is just shy of 9L, the T1 just shy of 10, the M1 is about 12.5, NR200 jumps up to 18L. That's pushing it for me. OT seems to currently be running a 3090 in the M1. Hmm... all comes down to selling some of my stuff to recoup some money.

I did post on the SFF thread too but doesn't seem to get as much traction sadly.
3090FE won't fit in a M1 without modification. I believe OT is using 3090 TUF which is still a very tight fit.

Oct 25, 2017
Check out the Buy/Sell/Trade thread on Era or r/HardwareSwap on reddit. I know for sure the latter would pay a few hundred over what you paid for it, and people seem to be trading there all the time.

ABeezy1388

Apr 5, 2018
Facebook Marketplace or OfferUp should serve you well for reselling that 2080 Super.

cool thanks I'll check both out. I've sold tons on Facebook but didn't assume a gpu would be popular there lol.

3090FE won't fit in a M1 without modification. I believe OT is using 3090 TUF which is still a very tight fit.

dang that's extremely disappointing :( didn't really want to go much bigger volume wise. Well this sucks.

ABeezy1388

Apr 5, 2018
Check out the Buy/Sell/Trade thread on Era or r/HardwareSwap on reddit. I know for sure the latter would pay a few hundred over what you paid for it, and people seem to be trading there all the time.

i did post on hardware swap but it was to trade a 3080 plus cash for my 3090. No bites yet. I'll check the buy sell trade thread here! Thanks!

Uriah

Oct 25, 2017
Either my motherboard or CPU has died so I'll be making a new computer. I plan on switching from Intel to AMD. Will I be able to boot into Windows and do a clean install? I only have the now nonfunctional PC. Downloading and installing Windows via USB is not an option.

myzhi

Oct 27, 2017
Either my motherboard or CPU has died so I'll be making a new computer. I plan on switching from Intel to AMD. Will I be able to boot into Windows and do a clean install? I only have the now nonfunctional PC. Downloading and installing Windows via USB is not an option.
Now, Windows is pretty good with hardware changes so you should be fine just plugging the storage device with current installation into the new computer. If you run into issues, you'll have to find a way to USB Windows install.

Oct 25, 2017
Worse comes to worst, you could download a Windows CD-ROM to your Android phone and attach it by USB storage, SD card, or even a direct connection to the phone's storage.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
I switched from a 6600k to a 5900x.

I tried to do a dirty install but never could get my install to recognize I was using the AMD chipset when updating the mobo. Booting and everything else were working okay-ish. Ended up doing a new install where all my old data was stored under Windows.old and moved over everything I needed.

You should if anything be able to do a dirty install and download everything you need to set up a USB/SD card Windows installer. But just know you may run into some random issues sometimes if you don't do a fresh install.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
If your current OS drive is still intact, you can try boot with that after building the new one, and make a USB install disk there then do a fresh install.

Saty

Oct 27, 2017
Do we know for certain if Intel's 12 series and AMD's AM5 going to be DDR5 only? I would prefer not to early-adopt costly new RAM and i already bought DDR4 sticks in preparation for a new PC.

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know for certain if Intel's 12 series and AMD's AM5 going to be DDR5 only? I would prefer not to early-adopt costly new RAM and i already bought DDR4 sticks in preparation for a new PC.
If Skylake is a sign of things to come, expect the vast majority of X670/Z690 motherboards to have extremely limited, if any, support for DDR4. Though tbf, DDR4 RAM was fairly cheap even at launch. I got 16GB of 2133MHz DDR4 for $50 in mid-2016.

maped

Mar 7, 2018
I switched from a 6600k to a 5900x.

I tried to do a dirty install but never could get my install to recognize I was using the AMD chipset when updating the mobo. Booting and everything else were working okay-ish. Ended up doing a new install where all my old data was stored under Windows.old and moved over everything I needed.

You should if anything be able to do a dirty install and download everything you need to set up a USB/SD card Windows installer. But just know you may run into some random issues sometimes if you don't do a fresh install.

I've found success by uninstalling chipset drivers and all the integrated peripherals (lan/audio) before moving the disk to a new machine. Oh, and also you should completely uninstall all mobo maker utilities and such, since you might not be able to get rid of it with the new hardware (thanks Asus). But like others have said, it's worth giving it a shot, but be prepared to re-install. And even if it works and seems succesful at first, migrating the os may lead to problems later on, which is good to keep in mind when you're troubleshooting some weird problem months down the line.

Oct 29, 2017
If Skylake is a sign of things to come, expect the vast majority of X670/Z690 motherboards to have extremely limited, if any, support for DDR4. Though tbf, DDR4 RAM was fairly cheap even at launch. I got 16GB of 2133MHz DDR4 for $50 in mid-2016.
At Skylake's launch it has gone down in price, but when DDR4 released alongside Haswell E and the x99 platform in 2014, 2400Mhz 16GB were $220.

If this time around DDR5 releases alongside mainstream CPUs (as opposed to launching alongside Threadripper 5000 or the next intel HEDT) it may still be cheaper in comparison to DDR4 when it launched, but I would still expect them to be more expensive than the premium DDR4 sticks of today.

maped

Mar 7, 2018
At Skylake's launch it has gone down in price, but when DDR4 released alongside Haswell E and the x99 platform in 2014, 2400Mhz 16GB were $220.

If this time around DDR5 releases alongside mainstream CPUs (as opposed to launching alongside Threadripper 5000 or the next intel HEDT) it may still be cheaper in comparison to DDR4 when it launched, but I would still expect them to be more expensive than the premium DDR4 sticks of today.

And I would also expect the first round of motherboards and processors to be significantly more expensive than their x570 peers, too. I wouldn't be surprised if the mobo/processor/ram was 300€/$ more than even the launch prices of x570/Zen 3.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
what kind of temps are you getting? i'm running a custom loop and my temps are sort of disappointing. i'm wondering if it's mine specifically, but i hear a lot of stories about their 5800x's running a bit hot

With an ambient toom temperature of about 17C HWiNFO shows the CPU at around 30-33C when idling at desktop. When using Firefox it fluctuates between 35-50C. After about 15 minutes of Cinebench R23, it reaches a max of 80C. I've never seen it go higher.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Hey Serpens - really don't buy a used stop gap GPU. The used market is so crazy high right now you will lose a disproportional amount of money when supplies normalize.

If you can, get on one of the discords for 3000 series drops, and consider a 3070 as well as the 3060ti. Have payment methods saved on the recommended retailers sites.

Good build by the way!

Yeah, looks like I won't buy a used stop gap. Checked the local used market and it's insanely stupid. 2070 for almost the price of a new 3060Ti, 2060 for what a 3060Ti would cost imported, and resellers taking advantage of people that are selling their gpus cheap for emergency money. Best deal I could find was a 1660Super new for a somewhat reasonable price, but that card isn't really very attractive going from a 1060. It's an improvement but not enough to bite