• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Except that's not what burned me. Even if I ran the same junk from every vendor, it's not like it suddenly becomes easier and concise isn't to dissemble to troubleshoot component failure. That's a pain in the ass no matter what.
I see, I was citing your post where you talked about your fittings not fitting into a heatkiller radiator's threads IIRC. Sorry about that.

As for troubleshooting component failure, that is a PITA whether you are watercooling or not. It's the nature of PC building and even happens with prebuilt PCs. I went through more than my fair share of it when simply having a capture card installed in my Crosshair VIII Formula led to the whole system not working properly, taking 15 minutes to start up with most services inactive and overall awful performance. I appreciate just how maddening that aspect of PC building can be.

Last edited:

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
This is in stock now

www.newegg.com

Lian Li UNI Fan SL120 RGB Black 3x 12cm Fan Pack with Controller - UF-SL120-3B - Newegg.com

Buy Lian Li UNI Fan SL120 RGB Black 3x 12cm Fan Pack with Controller - UF-SL120-3B with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

www.newegg.com

LIAN LI UNI FAN SL120 RGB White 3x 12cm Fan Pack with Controller - UF-SL120-3W - Newegg.com

Buy LIAN LI UNI FAN SL120 RGB White 3x 12cm Fan Pack with Controller - UF-SL120-3W with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Telling me it's sold out when i try and checkout, despite showing it's in stock. I got the text too...at 4 something AM.

Time to wait another month :/.

I may just say screw it and rock with the Corsair fans that I have. I'm really drawn to the simplicity of the cable hookup on the Lian Lis, but it does me no good if I can't get the controller due to stock issues.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see, I was citing your post where you talked about your fittings not fitting into a heatkiller radiator's threads IIRC. Sorry about that.

As for troubleshooting component failure, that is a PITA whether you are watercooling or not. It's the nature of PC building and even happens with prebuilt PCs. I went through more than my fair share of it when simply having a capture card installed in my Crosshair VIII Formula led to the whole system not working properly, taking 15 minutes to start up with most services inactive and overall awful performance. I appreciate just how maddening that aspect of PC building can be.
It certainly is but WC adds and entirely new dimension to it. I can't just swap components out like I could with air coolers or AIO's. The entire loop needs to be drained and taken apart for something as simple as re-connecting the CPU fan header. Water cooling takes an already frustrating situation and dials the misery up to 11.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Ordered the Lian Li Uni 120 3 pack+controller from OverclockersUK. Came out to $115 after the exchange rate, and won't get here until sometime in Feb. Whatever. One less thing to worry about for the time being. The stock situation with these is crazy.

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
I'm looking to build $500 office pc, gaming is not a use case at ALL. Don't need to include os, monitor, keyboard, mouse etc in budget

Jan 2, 2018
Hey peeps, need help on some sort of speaker / soundbar solution for my workstation. My setup:
I also have an old PC tower that I rarely use for gaming (GTX 1080), but I primarily want to be able to run sound from my Mac and/or Switch when I have work downtime. Right now I have no way of getting sound from the Switch because my monitor does not have speakers. Budget is open. Thanks in advance!

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking to build $500 office pc, gaming is not a use case at ALL. Don't need to include os, monitor, keyboard, mouse etc in budget
You might want to consider going with a NZXT H1 case and a mini ITX motherboard. You may also want to consider going with a Intel Z490 motherboard so you can use the integrated GPU. This setup will allow you to upgrade to a discrete GPU later down the road if you do want to upgrade the PC for gaming. An ADATA M.2 SSD can keep costs down, and an entry level Intel 10th gen CPU can also help.

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
ok, didnt get any replies about my last build, but now made this one at CyberPower

With talk of AIO fans I can pick between a regular liquid cool and an AIO liquid cool for same price, under 120mm~140mm Liquid Cooling options, should I switch it?

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
You might want to consider going with a NZXT H1 case and a mini ITX motherboard. You may also want to consider going with a Intel Z490 motherboard so you can use the integrated GPU. This setup will allow you to upgrade to a discrete GPU later down the road if you do want to upgrade the PC for gaming. An ADATA M.2 SSD can keep costs down, and an entry level Intel 10th gen CPU can also help.
what does an h410m shut me out of compared to z490?

myzhi

Oct 27, 2017
For a $500 build, isn't a $350 case way over budget?

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
Any recommendations for 140mm intake fans in a Fractal Design R5? I believe I need something with high static pressure due to the fans being behind a mesh dust filter and a closed front with side vents. I've used the stock fans since I got this case (I bought an extra to match the ones it comes with for a two fan setup in the front) but they're non pwm, and max out at 1000RPM, also one has been making a rattling sound recently.

Ideally I'm looking for something that has a good noise to performance ratio as I don't want overly loud fans, but at the same time I don't want a dead silent fan that barely pushes any air.

OCD Guy

Nov 2, 2017
I managed to get hold of a 3090 Suprim x. The card is gigantic and weighs a ton. I'm sure it's the largest and heaviest graphics card out there. I'm getting a hell of a lot of sag. Like ridiculous amounts.

336 x 140 x 61 mm and 1895g / 3197g are the dimensions and weight.

Anyway it came with a gpu stand, basically a metal bar as opposed to a pcie bracket, and it just won't work in my particular setup (not enough space).

The supplied bar isn't practical, and I'm wondering whether there is a suitable pcie bracket out there? I've looked into it and MSI actually supplies pcie brackets with their other variants such as the Trio X 3090. There must be a reason they give the bar instead with the Suprim X right? I'm assuming the bracket wouldn't hold the weight of the Suprim X.

Basically I don't want to waste my money buying something not suitable or potentially damage the card. I've found a few on Amazon but they all have pretty mixed reviews. "Uphere" is one of the brands I've come across.

Any advice appreciated.

Last edited:

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
I managed to get hold of a 3090 Suprim x. The card is gigantic and weighs a ton. I'm sure it's the largest and heaviest graphics card out there. I'm getting a hell of a lot of sag. Like ridiculous amounts.

336 x 140 x 61 mm and 1895g / 3197g are the dimensions and weight.

Anyway it came with a gpu stand, basically a metal bar as opposed to a pcie bracket, and it just won't work in my particular setup (not enough space).

The supplied bar isn't practical, and I'm wondering whether there is a suitable pcie bracket out there? I've looked into it and MSI actually supplies pcie brackets with their other variants such as the Trio X 3090. There must be a reason they give the bar instead with the Suprim X right? I'm assuming the bracket wouldn't hold the weight of the Suprim X.

Basically I don't want to waste my money buying something not suitable or potentially damage the card. I've found a few on Amazon but they all have pretty mixed reviews. "Uphere" is one of the brands I've come across.

Any advice appreciated.
EDIT: Disregard, misread your post.

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
If you're only cooling the CPU and not the GPU, getting an AIO solution makes a whole lot more sense.
thanks was talking to another friend and it looks like both options were AIO, I know understand what that term means. And I upgraded to a 2 fan AIO solution that was the same price.

And the gpu an evga 3080 comes with 3 fans mounted to it yeah? i wont need additional fans/cooling?

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Integrated, won't be used for gaming at all

Have you considered going with an ASRock Deskmini?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-10100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($124.71 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 CL16 Memory ($71.13 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Lenovo)
Custom: ASRock DESKMINI H470W Black Mini / Booksize Barebone System ($211.93 @ Newegg)
Total: $512.76
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-13 19:05 EST-0500

Eeek

Nov 3, 2018
Could someone do a final check on my idea for a first build? Most notably the motherboard since I kinda just chose a random one. The monitor I'm using is the Dell S2721D so I'm aiming for 1440p/60 Hz.

I'm technically over budget so I'm contemplating waiting until February and getting the 3060 non ti instead but I'm worried prices for other parts might be going up or the 3600 being harder to find.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/C64gp2

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($279.00 @ Canada Computers)
Motherboard: ASRock B550M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.58 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($94.98 @ Best Buy Canada)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card
Case: Cougar MX330-X ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($139.99 @ Canada Computers)
Total: $818.53
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-13 19:56 EST-0500

Oct 29, 2017
Could someone do a final check on my idea for a first build? Most notably the motherboard since I kinda just chose a random one. The monitor I'm using is the Dell S2721D so I'm aiming for 1440p/60 Hz.

I'm technically over budget so I'm contemplating waiting until February and getting the 3060 non ti instead but I'm worried prices for other parts might be going up or the 3600 being harder to find.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/C64gp2

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($279.00 @ Canada Computers)
Motherboard: ASRock B550M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.58 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($94.98 @ Best Buy Canada)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card
Case: Cougar MX330-X ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($139.99 @ Canada Computers)
Total: $818.53
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-13 19:56 EST-0500

That's not a bad motherboard choice. For the price I think it will be between it and the MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI. The difference being that the Asrock has USB C in the back and the MSI has Wifi. However the MSI also has usb c header, but you would either need a cable or a much more expensive case that comes with USB C front panel. If you want something slightly cheaper than either, the Gigabyte B550M DS3H is still a decent choice although li lacks both of those other features and it is more basic in general.

Also, while the ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro originally got great reviews. There has been reports that Adata changed the controller chip in the recent version and it is not as good anymore. If you can find the Crucial P5 or Wester Digital SN750 for the same price those still have the same parts they had when they came out (all three drives are about the same). The Adata is still a much better choice than things like the Intel 660p or the Crucial P1 and P2, however.

Edit: You could also save a little on the PSU. For around $120 the 2018 Corsair RMX instead of the 2019, or a Seasonic FOCUS Plus Gold.
That said I had to spend $200 between case and PSU; I think it is better to get a $100 PSU, even if it is not fully modular, and a good $100 case, than a $140 PSU and a $50 case.

Edit2: That cougar looks pretty decent tho

Last edited:

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are the next batch of mobos coming out this year? Interested in a x570 but they are from 2019.
Nothing set in stone yet, but X670 with DDR5 support and a third party chipset not requiring active cooling is generally expected towards the end of 2021, like October/November.

X570 is still the most advanced mainstream desktop platform out there until Z590 comes out and basically matches it.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
anyone with a Lian Li lancool II have issues with the accessory front USB-C? Keeps pushing in slightly so it won't make a connection - every time I need to plug something in I have to open the case and hold it in place from the inside.

Separately - any easy way to know which of the 8,000 different audio devices are the right one for each connection? I actually connected my headphones via USB-C because I couldn't work out which one was the right one for hte front audio jack.. Amongst the hardware ones, and the virtual ones for oculus etc its a nightmare

Eeek

Nov 3, 2018
That's not a bad motherboard choice. For the price I think it will be between it and the MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI. The difference being that the Asrock has USB C in the back and the MSI has Wifi. However the MSI also has usb c header, but you would either need a cable or a much more expensive case that comes with USB C front panel. If you want something slightly cheaper than either, the Gigabyte B550M DS3H is still a decent choice although li lacks both of those other features and it is more basic in general.

Also, while the ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro originally got great reviews. There has been reports that Adata changed the controller chip in the recent version and it is not as good anymore. If you can find the Crucial P5 or Wester Digital SN750 for the same price those still have the same parts they had when they came out (all three drives are about the same). The Adata is still a much better choice than things like the Intel 660p or the Crucial P1 and P2, however.

Edit: You could also save a little on the PSU. For around $120 the 2018 Corsair RMX instead of the 2019, or a Seasonic FOCUS Plus Gold.
That said I had to spend $200 between case and PSU; I think it is better to get a $100 PSU, even if it is not fully modular, and a good $100 case, than a $140 PSU and a $50 case.

Edit2: That cougar looks pretty decent tho

Hey, thanks for looking over everything so thoroughly!

I think I'll keep the ASrock since I own a wifi adapter already.

The Western Digital SSD was actually on sale around boxing day which I missed. I'll definitely try to keep my eye on any sales, especially since the Adata's non-sale price appears to be around the other two.

Thanks for the PSU suggestion I'll just grab the 2018 Corsair.

I'm unsure about the case, since it seems all the more expensive cases have plastic/glass panels which I'm not super into.

Oct 28, 2017
Used gpu market is getting bonkers. The ancient GTX 1070 worth like 30-40% more then it did 1 and a half years ago when I bought it. o_O
At this point no one should buy anything unless they absolutely must.
Edit: I put up the card for sale and I had a local buyer in 18 minutes...

Last edited:

GFP_RYU

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hello. Super noob question. I need to ask this:

I have Zotac Rtx 3090 and rumor has it has been gimped due to power limit. If I don't overclock and just plug and play, do I still need to sell this and find a better Rtx 3090?

Also I already have the Ryzen 5900x and Zotac Rtx 3090. If I could not find the Asus Dark Hero, what is the next best motherboard that is compatible to my cpu?

Oct 29, 2017
Hello. Super noob question. I need to ask this:

I have Zotac Rtx 3090 and rumor has it has been gimped due to power limit. If I don't overclock and just plug and play, do I still need to sell this and find a better Rtx 3090?

Also I already have the Ryzen 5900x and Zotac Rtx 3090. If I could not find the Asus Dark Hero, what is the next best motherboard that is compatible to my cpu?
It is primarily that it doesn't overclock, otherwise it performs like the founders edition. But even Cards like Asus Strix and the EVGA FTW3 that have the 3 8-pin power connectors still have power limit unless you replace the BIOS.

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any particularly recommended options for PCI-e SSD cards? I'm looking to expand my computer's storage, and M.2 isn't an option for me.

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing set in stone yet, but X670 with DDR5 support and a third party chipset not requiring active cooling is generally expected towards the end of 2021, like October/November.
Is it reasonable to expect that without Zen 4 (and thus AM5)? Seems to me that outside of BIOS compatibility issues with Zen 3, there's nothing new chipsets could really add at this point. When's the last time a CPU gen has been cross-compatible with two DDR generations with no asterisks or weirdness?

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it reasonable to expect that without Zen 4 (and thus AM5)? Seems to me that outside of BIOS compatibility issues with Zen 3, there's nothing new chipsets could really add at this point. When's the last time a CPU gen has been cross-compatible with two DDR generations with no asterisks or weirdness?
AMD won't launch a new mainstream mobo platform without launching Zen 4 along with it, they will be a package deal.

X570 is the platform to use with Zen 3.

I'm also now seeing a leaked roadmap suggesting Zen 4 and AM5 may not be coming until 2022.

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Been messing with undervolting, and reran port royal this time at 1950mhz at 875mV +600 memory only scored 11,592, TimeSpy score of 17,980, hit 75 C. Stock the card scored 17,000 in TS.

At 1880mhz / 850mV +600 memory PR scored 11,317, TimeSpy score of 17,743, hit 73C.

Cyberpunk crashed at 1950mhz 875mV +600 memory, bumped to 881mV, see what happens. Noticed temps went up to 71C vs 70C at 875mV. In game maintains 1935mhz.

Maybe my EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra just sucks lol.

At what temp does this card start to throttle?

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reran port royal this time at 1950mhz at 875mV +600 memory only scored 11,592, TimeSpy score of 17,980, hit 75 C.

At 1880mhz / 850mV +600 memory PR scored 11,317, TimeSpy score of 17,743, hit 73C.

Cyberpunk crashed at 1950mhz 875mV +600 memory, bumped to 881mV, see what happens. Noticed temps went up to 71C vs 70C at 875mV. In game maintains 1935mhz.

Maybe my EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra just sucks lol.

At what temp does this card start to throttle?
I had a fair bit of success with upping the fan curve on my 3090 FE, you might want to try that. The crashes seem to come from hitting the power limit from everything I've been reading.

west

Oct 28, 2017
I finally got around to finishing my build, as the RGB fans came in today. Was my first build in 7 years.

Thankfully my local PC suppliers support backorders or I would never have gotten the parts.

CPU: AMD Zen 3 5900x
GPU: MSI 3080 Gaming Trio
Motherboard: Asus Crosshair Hero VIII Wifi
Memory: G.Skill 32GB (4 x 8GB) Trident Z Neo DDR4 3600MHz ( 16-16-16-36 )
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black
Case: Meshify 2
Power: Seasonic 750w Focus PC-750
Fans: Alpenföhn Wing Boost 3 ARGB, 140mm

Storage: 2T in SSD (m2 and regular) and 6T in backup drive.

First thing; cases have improved a lot in 7 years. Cable management is actually planned out! M2 drives are so weird though. How can they plant a storage solution that you cannot even get to without removing the graphics card? Jeesh.

Used way to much time shopping for RGB fans. Again, simple stuff made complicated. I was going for Corsair for the longest time, until I saw the amount of hardware (and software) needed inside the case to make it happen. Seriously, this motherboard has like four RGB headers and then there are like 2 manufacturers in the world that actually support them. USB has been around forever, how hard could it be to create a single cable solution for SATA drives and another for RGB fans?

Might add a second fan to the Noctua later. The single fan version was the only one in stock, and it shows off the RGB memory better.

And here it is, without the side panel.

IMG-1302.jpg

IMG-E1303.jpg

IMG-E1304.jpg

slorelli

Nov 1, 2017
Ohio
How much does a Ryzen 3600 gimp a 3080? I have been playing Warzone at 1440p with settings turned down and am averaging around 120-130 FPS. I don't know if this is good or not for the card or if something is wrong.

GFP_RYU

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I finally got around to finishing my build, as the RGB fans came in today. Was my first build in 7 years.

Thankfully my local PC suppliers support backorders or I would never have gotten the parts.

CPU: AMD Zen 3 5900x
GPU: MSI 3080 Gaming Trio
Motherboard: Asus Crosshair Hero VIII Wifi
Memory: G.Skill 32GB (4 x 8GB) Trident Z Neo DDR4 3600MHz ( 16-16-16-36 )
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black
Case: Meshify 2
Power: Seasonic 750w Focus PC-750
Fans: Alpenföhn Wing Boost 3 ARGB, 140mm

Storage: 2T in SSD (m2 and regular) and 6T in backup drive.

First thing; cases have improved a lot in 7 years. Cable management is actually planned out! M2 drives are so weird though. How can they plant a storage solution that you cannot even get to without removing the graphics card? Jeesh.

Used way to much time shopping for RGB fans. Again, simple stuff made complicated. I was going for Corsair for the longest time, until I saw the amount of hardware (and software) needed inside the case to make it happen. Seriously, this motherboard has like four RGB headers and then there are like 2 manufacturers in the world that actually support them. USB has been around forever, how hard could it be to create a single cable solution for SATA drives and another for RGB fans?

Might add a second fan to the Noctua later. The single fan version was the only one in stock, and it shows off the RGB memory better.

And here it is, without the side panel.

IMG-1302.jpg

IMG-E1303.jpg

IMG-E1304.jpg

Did you flash your motherboard for 5900x?

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How much does a Ryzen 3600 gimp a 3080? I have been playing Warzone at 1440p with settings turned down and am averaging around 120-130 FPS. I don't know if this is good or not for the card or if something is wrong.
I had a ton of issues playing Warzone on my 3950X/2080 Ti system which should've been plenty to run it maxed out, and now that I've upgraded to a 5950X/3090 the issues have gone away. Perhaps Warzone just doesn't like Zen 2 or something.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Alright so, upgrade update

CPU Ryzen 5 3600, which has arrived!

Motherboard: ASUS X570-P
RAM: 2x8 gb 3200mhz Crucial Ballistix

Both MB and RAM have not arrived and should arrive by the 22nd

NVMe Storage: ADATA SX8200 Pro which will be bought before the Mobo and RAM arrives

Now, for the GPU, I'll just have to keep using the 1060 6gb. I really want to upgrade to maximize the CPU and the 144hz monitor, for that I wanted the 3060 Ti but it looks that I just wont be able to get it, at least in a lot of time until pricing, demand, stock, etc. settles.

Which GPU would be a good mid stop upgrade? 1080, 2060 ?
Pricing for used parts suck too, so I don't even know if its worth paying for those. I am playing on a 1080p 144hz monitor, but was planning to use the 3060Ti with a future 4K tv (I know I'd have to tweak with resolution scale and stuff, but the main use will be the 144hz monitor, the 4K TV would just be a plus).

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alright so, upgrade update

CPU Ryzen 5 3600, which has arrived!

Motherboard: ASUS X570-P
RAM: 2x8 gb 3200mhz Crucial Ballistix

Both MB and RAM have not arrived and should arrive by the 22nd

NVMe Storage: ADATA SX8200 Pro which will be bought before the Mobo and RAM arrives

Now, for the GPU, I'll just have to keep using the 1060 6gb. I really want to upgrade to maximize the CPU and the 144hz monitor, for that I wanted the 3060 Ti but it looks that I just wont be able to get it, at least in a lot of time until pricing, demand, stock, etc. settles.

Which GPU would be a good mid stop upgrade? 1080, 2060 ? Pricing for used parts suck too, so I don't even know if its worth paying for those. I am playing on a 1080p 144hz monitor, but was planning to use the 3060Ti with a future 4K tv (I know I'd have to tweak with resolution scale and stuff, but the main use will be the 144hz monitor, the 4K TV would just be a plus).
The used GPU market is stupid right now, everything costs way more than it's worth. I'd say keep an eye on discord notify bots and try to snag a 3060 Ti, it's not impossible.