• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gimbles123

Oct 27, 2017
I mean if someone can convince me enough, I'd love to spend less on the 5600x. I was just under the impression we'd wanna do 8 cores minimum?

Consoles have had 8 cores since 2014 and it has not stopped my 4 core 7700k from entirely outclassing them. Getting caught up in core counts is counterproductive. You don't have to take my word for it, any review of the 5600x shows this to be true.

You're not wrong, friend. The difference is minimal, but the 5600x is a 6 core chip, which may come into play in the next 5 years. At close to $300 I'd go for the i9 9900k (which is on sale for $319) which gives you basically the same performance at 4K with a 3090 like the 5600x with a higher core count. If you're only gaming, I think that's a better choice price/performance.

It won't. I wouldn't mind the 9900k pick if it wasn't for pcie gen 4 ssds being standard in consoles and there being games that clearly showcase their use already (Spiderman: MM, Ratchet and Clank). Once devs start to work this into multiplatform products in likely 2 years I won't want to be on a platform that is missing gen 4.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Consoles have had 8 cores since 2014 and it has not stopped my 4 core 7700k from entirely outclassing them. Getting caught up in core counts is counterproductive. You don't have to take my word for it, any review of the 5600x shows this to be true.
That's enough for me then. If that is available first, I'll jump on it.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile

It won't. I wouldn't mind the 9900k pick if it wasn't for pcie gen 4 ssds being standard in consoles and there being games that clearly showcase their use already (Spiderman: MM, Ratchet and Clank). Once devs start to work this into multiplatform products in likely 2 years I won't want to be on a platform that is missing gen 4.

Core count is not all that matters, but the efficiency of these do. Console 8c/16t are from a very good architecture with lots of room to be taken advantage from, unlike the Jaguar cores. That's why our old chips are still good for gaming, because games have been made for much less quality CPUs as a base. We really don't know how long it's gonna be until devs take advantage of the higher core counts of the Zen 2 architecture, but they will eventually, this is a no brainer.

At the $300 mark you are making a decision on wether you lose PCIe 4.0 future support, or a higher core/thread count. At which point, I'd insist, if you already have a 3090, why not jumping to a 5900x and forget about this whole discussion? You get both higher cores/threads, AND PCIe 4.0 support. Costs more, but you are getting more too. 5600x and 5900x perform very similar today, but that's the key part. Today.

If we were talking about a 3070, 6800, a future 3060Ti, etc I really wouldn't even be arguing this, but if you are buying such top of the line hardware, there really isn't much point in buying a CPU that may need an upgrade sooner than the other. Just get another top of the line hardware and forget about it.

Your 4c/8t 7700k is still very good, my 4770 is still ok. How are the i5 7600k or the 4650k for CPU intensive games in comparison today?

That's enough for me then. If that is available first, I'll jump on it.

The point we are arguing may not really matter to you. If you buy the 5600x you're still gonna get amazing performance.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
The point we are arguing may not really matter to you. If you buy the 5600x you're still gonna get amazing performance.
I'm always torn. I've been hanging on with a 3570k. I like to build for the long haul. So it's a constant back and forth since these were all announced. I really don't mind spending the extra money...I just want something available at this point. I either have, or have picked out everything for it.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
I have 2 slots for ram on my mainboard and use 2x G.Skill Aegis DIMM 8GB, DDR4-3000, CL16-18-38.

I want to treat my pc to better ram and maybe even go to 32gigs if possible on 2 ram slots. I probably don't need it but I kinda want it and want to treat myself.

What can you recommend?

Oct 27, 2017
I'm always torn. I've been hanging on with a 3570k. I like to build for the long haul. So it's a constant back and forth since these were all announced. I really don't mind spending the extra money...I just want something available at this point. I either have, or have picked out everything for it.

Sign up for Discord alerts on the AMD stuff, then snatch a 5900X and don't look back. You'll be set for at least 8 years on that thing.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile

Probably more than one disagrees with my line of thinking, but if you really are aiming for the long haul, you are better off buying higher tiered hardware, when they're good enough. The only buts for me here is budget. If budget is smaller, yeah, you really don't need the R9 or I9, but if you can pay for them, you're not really wrong in doing it. The alternative would be buying a really good motherboard and a 5600x and if there is the need, selling the 5600x and getting the 5900x or the 5950x, same goes for Intel. You're gonna end up spending almost the same in the long run, but if people like me are wrong and it ends up not really being a thing that higher cores will be better, well, you win.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017

Discord - A New Way to Chat with Friends & Communities

Discord is the easiest way to communicate over voice, video, and text. Chat, hang out, and stay close with your friends and communities.
Thanks!
Probably more than one disagrees with my line of thinking, but if you really are aiming for the long haul, you are better off buying higher tiered hardware, when they're good enough. The only buts for me here is budget. If budget is smaller, yeah, you really don't need the R9 or I9, but if you can pay for them, you're not really wrong in doing it. The alternative would be buying a really good motherboard and a 5600x and if there is the need, selling the 5600x and getting the 5900x or the 5950x, same goes for Intel. You're gonna end up spending almost the same in the long run, but if people like me are wrong and it ends up not really being a thing that higher cores will be better, well, you win.
I am super not into having to sell something down the line like that for an upgrade. GPU? Sure. Okay, that settles it...again. 5900x. Thanks.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
Unless you already have a mobo how are you intending to shop for a compatible 5 year old mobo? This build seems like you either use your existing parts in a small ATX compatible case, or you buy all new parts to facilitate an ultra compact build.
My understanding was any mini ITX board with an LGA1151 slot would be fine! But yeah, it doesn't need to be ultra-compact, just neat under a small desk. Like, <40cm depth would be nice.

Check out this post for tons of info about ITX builds
Thanks!

Oct 25, 2017
I will say that in my own case, Karhu found the problem and the solution ridiculously was to just set the BIOS back to default. I had changed RAM and something old was not redetected. So I went into bios, reset to default, then re-enabled DOCP/XMP and everything was fine.

But yeah if that doesn't help the RAM could be bad and you may want to test sticks individually.

That's such a bizarre issue that I would never have guessed. Honestly I'm surprised at how useful Karhu is, I've never heard of it until now -- so thank you for that!

I've swapped to my old ram for now and everything is great. It appears that the RAM I purchased was either defective or just made my system very unstable. I'm relieved that the issue is only the RAM but also disappointed because I threw the package away already lol.

Thanks for all the help everyone, was really tearing my hair out on this one. I would have never, ever guessed the RAM was the problem after memtest came back okay.

gimbles123

Oct 27, 2017
My understanding was any mini ITX board with an LGA1151 slot would be fine! But yeah, it doesn't need to be ultra-compact, just neat under a small desk. Like, <40cm depth would be nice.

You would think so, but Intel is disinclined to support older cpus even across chipsets. If you can some how find an older z270 mobo then it would work, but otherwise you're out of luck. This is why I suggested building from scratch unless you want to stick with parts you have in a case that fits your existing mobo (assuming you have one), and buying an adapter for wi-fi.

Core count is not all that matters, but the efficiency of these do. Console 8c/16t are from a very good architecture with lots of room to be taken advantage from, unlike the Jaguar cores. That's why our old chips are still good for gaming, because games have been made for much less quality CPUs as a base. We really don't know how long it's gonna be until devs take advantage of the higher core counts of the Zen 2 architecture, but they will eventually, this is a no brainer.

At the $300 mark you are making a decision on wether you lose PCIe 4.0 future support, or a higher core/thread count. At which point, I'd insist, if you already have a 3090, why not jumping to a 5900x and forget about this whole discussion? You get both higher cores/threads, AND PCIe 4.0 support. Costs more, but you are getting more too. 5600x and 5900x perform very similar today, but that's the key part. Today.

If we were talking about a 3070, 6800, a future 3060Ti, etc I really wouldn't even be arguing this, but if you are buying such top of the line hardware, there really isn't much point in buying a CPU that may need an upgrade sooner than the other. Just get another top of the line hardware and forget about it.

Your 4c/8t 7700k is still very good, my 4770 is still ok. How are the i5 7600k or the 4650k for CPU intensive games in comparison today?

Bottom line if budget doesn't matter and it makes you feel better go for a higher core count chip (be it Intel or AMD), but there is plenty of benchmark evidence across games that already scale favorably with cores and clocks showing a dominance in the 5600x against everything intel offers, and at least parity against other Zen 3. It's as you said, the efficiency of the cores plays an integral role, and that works in favor of my argument. Zen 3 IPC efficiency over older Zen architecture, and over Intel's offerings is clear. The current consoles could utilize their cores counts more effectively and it still wouldn't matter because they are much less efficient in IPC and clocked much slower.

If we are talking about 4k resolution gaming which was the original context for our perspective difference you will have to upgrade the 3090 before you have to change out a 5600x. I understand the principle of your stance regarding future proofing, but in the context we are discussing it is not applicable.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
That's such a bizarre issue that I would never have guessed. Honestly I'm surprised at how useful Karhu is, I've never heard of it until now -- so thank you for that!

I've swapped to my old ram for now and everything is great. It appears that the RAM I purchased was either defective or just made my system very unstable. I'm relieved that the issue is only the RAM but also disappointed because I threw the package away already lol.

Thanks for all the help everyone, was really tearing my hair out on this one. I would have never, ever guessed the RAM was the problem after memtest came back okay.
good to hear.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
OH WHOOPS no that's the whole budget haha. I think it was about 180 for the distro plate, 215 for the GPU water block and back plate, and 150 for the mobo water block. One radiator at the top and one radiator at the bottom (140), and then a shit ton of fittings which I could've saved on by not buying extra. :(

Ahhhh. Scared the shit out of me for a second. I currently have a kraken z73 but want to move into a loop sometime next year. Thanks for the info

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really nervous about starting my first pc build next weekend. I'm trying to as many videos as possible that show how to set up the mobo with a bios update and then which parts to connect first. Hopefully building in the NZXT H510 Elite is a breeze.

EzekelRAGE

Nov 3, 2017
0a7ade801ef8d220f8ef7a5cd8ad5a1e.png

That's not good is it? And it got hot as hell too, without the side panels on.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm thinking of getting a Samsung Odyssey G7 for the high refresh rate. but my question is are there enough games that can actually take advantage of that kind of refresh rate? Most modern games will be between 100-150 fps, is there a point of buying a 240 hz refresh rate monitor in that case?

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm on vacation next week and plan on doing nothing but perfecting an overclock to the 5600X/RTX3070 build. My last build, the only thing I ever did was set some fan curve I saw online. Any tips?

For reference by the way, I guess the Lian Li Galahad keeps the thing cool enough at idle that the mobo's default fan curve just turns the case fans off lol. What should I be setting the pump speed to, and the CPU fans vs the case fans?

EzekelRAGE

Nov 3, 2017
;)

gonna change my name to Dreams-Visions the PC Whisperer
lol

That all looks pretty normal to my eyes. What part doesn't look good to you?
As for heat...undervolting is the way, fam.

1000% undervolt for actual daily usage.

Thats the next thing im tackling

Also, got the issue with the 3 led fans not working resolved, corsair support on reddit helped me.

So even though the case and fans that came with it are corsair and the aio cooler is corsair, the fan hub that comes with the cooler(with the icue software) doesnt support fans that arent all the same. So had to use fan hub that came with the case to light up those fans. But the hub does power all the fans. Support said there should be a firmware in the future to allow different corsair fans to be controlled by the same controller hub. Until then they gonna be doing their own thing I guess T_T.

Here is the finished product:

b65a75f0d0ea89331679aa89af5abf98.jpg

thanks everyone for all the help

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
Asked this last night but didn't get an answer, what do you use your front of case usb c ports for? I am stuck deciding if I need it or not. I don't own anything yet that uses usb c other than my phone but that will charge through a normal usb slot. Should I spend the extra and get a front usb c connector or should I skip?

DSN2K

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
ended up getting Ryzen 5 3600 for £200 at Currys/PCworld. Coming tomorrow. I have no intention of overclocking currently so I may just stick with the stock cooler for now.

Deleted member 2210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I only need my CPU and GPU. But alas, I can't get em cause of scalping. Might be a while while my sad ass case lies barren.

Oct 25, 2017
Wakayama
Man, I feel like it's going to be forever before many of us can get a 5900x.

I wonder if I should I settle for a 5600x CPU? 5800x feels like it should be cheaper but I want something good for creating 4K paintings in CSP or Photoshop. Gaming too of course, but I wanted them extra thread to make the painting process smoother.

Oct 27, 2017
Are we at the stage yet where, if you buy a B550 or B570 Mobo, that it will come with the correct bios update to run a Zen 3? Is that something that any manufacturers are doing?

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Are we at the stage yet where, if you buy a B550 or B570 Mobo, that it will come with the correct bios update to run a Zen 3? Is that something that any manufacturers are doing?

They all do it, but only at the factory. So you would need to get one that is very fresh, and unfortunately it's incredibly hard to know from an online marketplace if it's upgraded because the included BIOS information is usually marked on a sticker on the box.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
Get one that has USB flashback so you can do it on your own without being able to boot into BIOS. Most good B550s have it. X570s are kinda limited to newer models though, like the very popular TUF X570 Gaming Plus does not have it.

Nekrono

May 17, 2018
Anyone have any recommendations on the best X570 mobo around the $200 mark?

Also I'm currently on Intel so I need to have the board come with the updated bios for Zen 3 or how does that work If I don't have a Ryzen 3000 series CPU?

Satori

Nov 13, 2017
I am personally using https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-X570-TOMAHAWK-WIFI for 200 bucks.

You might not find them in stock though. I just helped my friend build a new rig using https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-X570-AORUS-802-11AC-Motherboard/dp/B07WL5MFXL and that is sub 200 and a great board.

Most of the new MOBO will need a bios flash update to make the new ryzen cpu work. That is an easy process since most board will have a way to flash the board using just a usb flash drive, downloaded driver, and nothing connected to your mother board but the power supply.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
lol

Thats the next thing im tackling

Also, got the issue with the 3 led fans not working resolved, corsair support on reddit helped me.

So even though the case and fans that came with it are corsair and the aio cooler is corsair, the fan hub that comes with the cooler(with the icue software) doesnt support fans that arent all the same. So had to use fan hub that came with the case to light up those fans. But the hub does power all the fans. Support said there should be a firmware in the future to allow different corsair fans to be controlled by the same controller hub. Until then they gonna be doing their own thing I guess T_T.

Here is the finished product:

b65a75f0d0ea89331679aa89af5abf98.jpg

thanks everyone for all the help
c l e a n

Staab

Oct 28, 2017
Managed to nab a Ryzen 3700x for 240 in a black friday sale, cheapest I saw them was at 290 here in Switzerland!
Wanted a 5600x but impossible stock wise so I think it's a next-best option..
Also grabbed a 3070 OC from Gigabyte, for about 620, not cheap but seeing availability issues, I'm satisfied.

Now looking for an ATX MOBO and some RAM:
- For the mobo I want to grab a Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro (about 180 right now) or Elite (saw the v2 at 140), they have nice feature sets.
Anyone have some good experience with those?

- For the RAM I'm struggling to find any decently priced 3600mhz CL16 kits, I want 32gb but they're all priced over 230 here, it's crazy... suggestions?

Last edited:

waxinlyrical

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't built a PC in a while, thinking about putting together the list below. I intend for this PC to last me for at least this entire console generation, plan to game (1440p for now, eventually 4k) and work on this computer. I haven't done this in several years, so please tell me if I'm missing anything obvious!

Also if anybody has any hints on how I avoid getting shouted at by my wife as this pile of parts lies gathering dust until I can actually get the CPU and GPU I want, please go ahead and share too.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100x 57.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($229.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB Founders Edition Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 ATX Mid Tower Case ($102.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1052.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-27 04:50 EST-0500

Acrano

Nov 2, 2017
Germany
My GTX1070 Ti can finally retire and seek out a new home in another PC. The installation of my new Asus RTX 3070 TUF GAMING OC went great, thanks again to super-famicom for his support, I used DUU and uninstalled the GPU driver with it in savemode, just to be on the save side. Played Star Citizen, Yakuza 7 and Valorant yesterday and made a GPU stress test with 3D Mark, all seems to be working well.

Finally I can use Gsync and VRR with my LG C9, today I will check out Control to see some ray tracing in action. I was a bit sceptical if my bequiet! 580W psu would be enough but seems like it is pulling it´s weight.

Last edited:

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
My ryzen 5800x finally came in last piece of my 2020 build finally done! :D

Specs:

MSI X570 TOMAHAWK wifi
Ryzen 5800x
2 TB NVME SSD Samsung pro evo
2x 4 TB hdd for extra projects space that is not games
Geforece Eagle OC RTX3080
64 gig Ram 3200
Asus G-sync 1440p 144Hrz monitor
HDMI 2.1 to LG CX 4K HDR

E2Q0NdP.jpg

0GAdRrb.jpg

W3TCKYa.jpg

THAT CLEARANCE :D
apOTsud.jpg

sZTTV1B.jpg

testing with old gpu just to make sure it booted before I continued.
gHDrokL.jpg

rNyFqIb.jpg

iWnPXt6.jpg

Final test before putting it into the case with final hardware with the GPU as well.
WoWB0IX.jpg

Done! :D
8wx0Q7b.jpg

rHweL2F.jpg

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
All parts ordered

Fractal Define 7
EVGA FTW 3090
AMD Ryzen 5090X
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420rpm
G.Skill Ripjaw 2x32GB 3600mhz
Gigabyte Auros Master
WD SN850 2TB
EVGA SuperNova 850w

Aiming to create a beastly workstation that can body some heavy 3D scenes.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm planning on building my new Ryzen 5800X system next week...it's been awhile since I've built a system...what is the best/correct way to apply thermal paste for the Zen 3 chips?...I always used the pea sized drop in the middle method but looking online it seems that the X method is gaining a lot of popularity...is one better then the other?...or is the X method mainly for larger Threadripper type of chips?