• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
I'm not entirely sure what parts got wet, no. What exactly does scoring look like? A friend's husband told me to look for anything burnt or blackened but from what I saw nothing matched that description.

Blackened, burnt, or rusted basically. Generally mild water damage looks white, like dried out milk powder.
cache_22848092.jpg

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Here are some pics I snapped while everything was still plugged in. Ignore the dust, I'm buying a can of air tomorrow to clean it before I take it to the shop.

Hopefully these pics aren't awful quality

imgur.com

imgur.com

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Yeah, I can't tell if the video card is dead or just needs to be dusted. Definitely use a can of air there. Have you tried turning it back on at all? I don't see any other obvious damage otherwise. Depends on how the water got in too; from the bottom would be PSU

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
Usually it comes with the chipset driver; I have the Ryzen Balanced plan from my X570 even after upgrading to the 5800X?

<shrug> I don't have one, only going by what AMD's rep said.

Did you upgrade or reinstall Windows? If you upgraded, it probably a leftover from that. If you reinstalled, I guess they've changed their minds.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I can't tell if the video card is dead or just needs to be dusted. Definitely use a can of air there. Have you tried turning it back on at all? I don't see any other obvious damage otherwise. Depends on how the water got in too; from the bottom would be PSU
I haven't tried turning it back on. Do you recommend doing so tonight or should I wait? That's definitely dust on the gtx, lol.

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Did you upgrade or reinstall Windows? If you upgraded, it probably a leftover from that. If you reinstalled, I guess they've changed their minds.

Yeah, you could be right. I didn't reinstall Windows. Do we know if 1usmus has an updated power plan for Ryzen 5000?

I haven't tried turning it back on. Do you recommend doing so tonight or should I wait? That's definitely dust on the gtx, lol.

I mean it might (?) be a risk, but generally if I have anything with water damage I give it 24 hours to try (and make sure there is no standing water) and then try to turn it on once. It might be fine? Really hard to say.

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Build is finally in place, now it's time to play around with getting an aesthetic I like. Then I'm on vacation next week so I can deal with overclocking/fan curves/RAID and what not. Any tips on how to go about it with this setup? It being my first AMD PC.

20201124_203929.jpg

Ryzen 5 5600X CPU
Lian Li Galahad AIO 360 CPU Cooler
MSI MPG B550 Gaming Edge Wifi MB
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 3200 CL16 RAM
WD Blue 1TB NVMe SSD
2x WD Blue 1TB HDD, intended RAID
MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio GPU
Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic Case
SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 750W PSU

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm almost ready to start my first build. Are there things and tools that would make sense to purchase ahead of time?

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
You don't need much in the way of screwdrivers for a build but I highly recommend a roll of velcro tape wraps as an easy way to clean up and re-set your build. Zipties are tighter but obviously one shot. You cut it with scissors so any size works, and it's doublesided so it straps to itself.

Oct 29, 2017
Imo if you have at least 4 fans I will double check you have where to plug them all. If not you'll have to wait for a 4-pin or 3-pin Y-spliter cable and whatnot to arrive to finish once you realize you are short of a fan header. Better to order that with the rest of your parts if you will need it.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
Or get a fan hub to sort out all your fan header needs.

Build is finally in place, now it's time to play around with getting an aesthetic I like. Then I'm on vacation next week so I can deal with overclocking/fan curves/RAID and what not. Any tips on how to go about it with this setup? It being my first AMD PC.

20201124_203929.jpg

Ryzen 5 5600X CPU
Lian Li Galahad AIO 360 CPU Cooler
MSI MPG B550 Gaming Edge Wifi MB
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 3200 CL16 RAM
WD Blue 1TB NVMe SSD
2x WD Blue 1TB HDD, intended RAID
MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio GPU
Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic Case
SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 750W PSU
Did you put something on top of the case that blocks two of AIO exhaust...?

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Or get a fan hub to sort out all your fan header needs.

Did you put something on top of the case that blocks two of AIO exhaust...?
Nope! Also, the AIO is actually the 3 fans on the right. There's space between them and the desk leg so they get air. As for the top fans, they do have the desk drawer above them, but there is space in between the case and said drawer. Just the picture perspective.

Faderlite

Aug 2, 2018
Once my current build is complete (still waiting on stock) I want to sell some of my old parts. Any recommendations on where to sell pc parts? I figured Ebay but thought I'd ask in case there is somewhere better.

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
is 2700x still worth it ? I cant seem find a 3600 in stock at reasonable price here in the UK. I will be ordering on Friday.

My understanding is that the 2700, if overclocked, can match the 3600, but stock the 3600 is the better option and is (usually) cheaper. But really depends on your situation and location. This old Gamers Nexus review compares to the 2700 a lot.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
Nope! Also, the AIO is actually the 3 fans on the right. There's space between them and the desk leg so they get air. As for the top fans, they do have the desk drawer above them, but there is space in between the case and said drawer. Just the picture perspective.
Oh just see your rad is side mounted so shouldn't be a problem!

Oct 27, 2017
So, my sons power button no longer works on his PC case. Is there a way to replace the power switch wire from the case that plugs into the MB? do they sell those?

Oct 25, 2017
Got an aggravating crash issue with my new computer, could use some help troubleshooting. About once a day, while playing videogames, my PC will freeze, the audio will stutter, and then the PC will reset on its own. Things I've checked:

- CPU/GPU temps. Temps are normal when crash happens
- Ram sticks. Performed memtest over night and passed with no errors
- Remove and clean install drivers
- Remove excess audio drivers
- Reseat power cables
- SSD health. I have 1x new M2 SSD and 2x old SATA SSDs. The SATA SSDs are still healthy

I'm at the point where I want to start replacing parts, but newegg is asking for the part to be sent back *first* which complicates things as I don't have spares laying around.

ASUS TUF 3080 (used in previous build without crashes)
Ryzen 5900x
G.Skill 32GB DDR4 PC4-28800 3600MHz Ripjaws V
Gigabyte Aorus Master x570
Super Flower Leadex III 850W 80+ Gold
Phantek 400A

Scratching my head on what to test next.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
So, my sons power button no longer works on his PC case. Is there a way to replace the power switch wire from the case that plugs into the MB? do they sell those?

So it's standard on the motherboard side; you need basically one wire for the button and another for ground. The motherboard literally has two pins standing up for this, and then the wire has a little black plastic housing to sit on the pin (basically bridging the wire and pin without touching the nearby pins). But the wire is usually hard-connected to the case so if the wire is bad you would need somebody to solder new wires in.

You could try checking your motherboard to see if the pin is still slotted or even in the right pins; I'd do that first.

Weirdly enough I've also seen "USB power buttons" which basically is a PC peripheral you install into the case, connect the wires to the motherboard (where the power button wires go) and then externally has a cheapo USB attachment with a button on it. So kind of overkill but does exactly as needed if your power button is truly dead. Here's a local example but I'd assume Amazon might have something similar somewhere.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
is 2700x still worth it ? I cant seem find a 3600 in stock at reasonable price here in the UK. I will be ordering on Friday.

If this is a new build I'd be looking at Intel's CPUs before dropping down to Zen+ personally. Especially if you plan to play games on your system.

The 10600KF is in widely in stock for £225-£230 and with AMD's stock situation and price hike, looks like a real good option to me for someone that needs a CPU now and can't wait.

I've always been reluctant to recommend the 10400F previously as it forces you to buy a Z series motherboard to overclock your memory (a necessity for a gaming rig imo) but it's price has cratered recently and there's plenty stock at just £145!! Even if you end up having to pay an extra £30-£50 for a Z series motherboard you're still coming out lower than the current £200+ 3600 price and you don't need to hunt down stock.

Video Kojima

Banned
Apr 5, 2020
Got an aggravating crash issue with my new computer, could use some help troubleshooting. About once a day, while playing videogames, my PC will freeze, the audio will stutter, and then the PC will reset on its own. Things I've checked:

- CPU/GPU temps. Temps are normal when crash happens
- Ram sticks. Performed memtest over night and passed with no errors
- Remove and clean install drivers
- Remove excess audio drivers
- Reseat power cables
- SSD health. I have 1x new M2 SSD and 2x old SATA SSDs. The SATA SSDs are still healthy

I'm at the point where I want to start replacing parts, but newegg is asking for the part to be sent back *first* which complicates things as I don't have spares laying around.

ASUS TUF 3080 (used in previous build without crashes)
Ryzen 5900x
G.Skill 32GB DDR4 PC4-28800 3600MHz Ripjaws V
Gigabyte Aorus Master x570
Super Flower Leadex III 850W 80+ Gold
Phantek 400A

Scratching my head on what to test next.
Have you updated your BIOS?
My computer would freeze randomly, and I'd have to do a hard reset to get it to work again.

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
I would also recommend resetting the BIOS to default settings. It does help. Beyond that I would try a different memory tester. I found problems with Karhu Mem Test in 20 minutes that I didn't find overnight with memtest.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Ellen Pudge 3rding the recommendation to rest the bios and ensure you are running the most recent bios update. Current version is F31j

X570 AORUS MASTER (rev. 1.0) Support | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global

I also have an Auros Master and am not experiencing any odd issues, but I am running F30.

Was the RAM Kit you purchased on the QVL? Just making sure. Your issue sounds like one I had when I had a poor OC on my RAM and didn't know it. If it's stable with a BIOS reset, the RAM settings/XMP may be the issue. That or the BIOS revision itself, which would suck.

If issues continue, consider upgrading or downgrading the bios version.

Oct 27, 2017
So I am in the midst of a new build. This is gonna be the first one I personally have ever done. Usually my brother does it for me while I watch half heartedly.

I'm going from 32gb of DDR4 2666 MHz to 16gb of DDR4 3600 MHz. I don't really do a whole lot other than basic productivity work and video games.

is the general thought that going from 32 GB to 16 GB will be alleviated by the bump in speed?

I plan on going with a Zen 3 in a few months when they are more available, and from what I read it appears that it reacts well to 4 sticks. I could just get a second set of two 8Gb RAM of the same make and model then, correct?

RAM is cheap enough these days, I just wanted to make sure that there's even a point if I'm only gaming and doing office work.

Badblood32

Oct 27, 2017
I've decided to just get a 5800x (ordered one) instead of wait for the 5900x, here's what I'm looking at for my build (first one in ~5-6 years):

Gigabyte x570 master
Ryzen 5800x (purchased)
3080 (purchased)
Noctua nh-u12a
Seasonic focus 850 gold
970 evo m.2 + 860 evo ssd (both purchased)
g.skill ripjaw ddr4 3600 2x16
Nzxt h510 case

Any thoughts/input?

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I've decided to just get a 5800x (ordered one) instead of wait for the 5900x, here's what I'm looking at for my build (first one in ~5-6 years):

Gigabyte x570 master
Ryzen 5800x (purchased)
3080 (purchased)
Noctua nh-u12a
Seasonic focus 850 gold
Nzxt h510 case

Any thoughts/input?
looks good. enjoy.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017

Gigabyte x570 master
Ryzen 5800x (purchased)
3080 (purchased)
Noctua nh-u12a
Seasonic focus 850 gold
Nzxt h510 case

Any thoughts/input?
Get another case with modern airflow. Phanteks P500A is a very solid one. For RAM make sure it's CL16 as well.

PhantomFFR

Oct 25, 2017
Vienna, Austria, EU, Earth
So I am in the midst of a new build. This is gonna be the first one I personally have ever done. Usually my brother does it for me while I watch half heartedly.

I'm going from 32gb of DDR4 2666 MHz to 16gb of DDR4 3600 MHz. I don't really do a whole lot other than basic productivity work and video games.

is the general thought that going from 32 GB to 16 GB will be alleviated by the bump in speed?

I plan on going with a Zen 3 in a few months when they are more available, and from what I read it appears that it reacts well to 4 sticks. I could just get a second set of two 8Gb RAM of the same make and model then, correct?

RAM is cheap enough these days, I just wanted to make sure that there's even a point if I'm only gaming and doing office work.

Define "in the midst of a new build". Are you still selecting components and planning on buying in "a few months", or do you already have them and just plan to upgrade the CPU in a few months?

More RAM does different things for you than faster RAM. Just for (most) games and office work 16 GB is enough for now.

Oct 27, 2017
Define "in the midst of a new build". Are you still selecting components and planning on buying in "a few months", or do you already have them and just plan to upgrade the CPU in a few months?

More RAM does different things for you than faster RAM. Just for (most) games and office work 16 GB is enough for now.
Thank you for the response.
I'm ordering parts as I can afford them and find good deals.
One of my goals with this system is to have only solid-state storage, so I've already got a 500Gb SSD, and plan to get eventually two additional 1 terabyte SSDs.

I've got my case and the RAM coming around the beginning of next week.

So I still need a motherboard, cpu, more storage, possibly more RAM, and I'm reusing my current 850w PSU and my 2070 Super (Will probably upgrade in 2021).

I'm in no great rush. My current rig is holding up fine (i5 8600k, 2070 Super) I just want to get items as they're available and convenient to obtain.

PhantomFFR

Oct 25, 2017
Vienna, Austria, EU, Earth
Thank you for the response.
I'm ordering parts as I can afford them and find good deals.
One of my goals with this system is to have only solid-state storage, so I've already got a 500Gb SSD, and plan to get eventually two additional 1 terabyte SSDs.

I've got my case and the RAM coming around the beginning of next week.

So I still need a motherboard, cpu, more storage, possibly more RAM, and I'm reusing my current 850w PSU and my 2070 Super (Will probably upgrade in 2021).

I'm in no great rush. My current rig is holding up fine (i5 8600k, 2070 Super) I just want to get items as they're available and convenient to obtain.

Quite frankly, I don't really understand your desire to upgrade if your funds are limited. As you said, your current PC is more than capable and will be for quite a while. And obviously, having parts lying around unused rarely is financially sensible, unless you stumble upon the deal of the centure, chances are good that (if buying over multiple months) they will naturally sink in price. And your warranty goes by too.

And, even knowing that Zen benefits from fast RAM, if my funds were limited and I already had DDR4 RAM, that would probably be the last thing for me to buy.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Anyone willing to push me one way or the other on this build?

Would be coming from a 6700K/1080Ti. I already have the 3090. I have seriously had all the parts in cart across three retailers for over a week and haven't pulled the trigger yet... Primarily just 4K60 gaming (up to 120 when i upgrade my tv)

Specifically, reading Anandtech, it sounds like Intel CPUs might be in a weird spot right now, with nothing coming except a 14nm refresh for Rocket Lake in Q1? Seems like if i were going to go the Intel route, maybe should wait for a die shrink or something? Or otherwise potentially consider 5900X? Is it a big deal that the 10900K doesn't support PCIe 4.0?

6700K has been mostly okay, but with the upgrade to the 3090, i was expecting much better performance than I'm seeing in some of the more CPU taxing stuff like RDR2. I'm certainly not generally seeing the type of perf i would have expected from reviews; e.g. "throw any game on 4K ultra everything and it'll be 60fps no matter what." (ray tracing aside).

Someone push me a direction please...

At 4K you're more GPU bound than CPU bound, and the differences between CPU's are less noticeable. That said, a 5900x should be able to squeeze a bit more out of your 3090.

PCIe 4.0 is not a noticeable difference. Might come into play for nvme SSDs but it's not really relevant. The performance difference of the 5900x vs 10900k is still a nice one. Intel is going to play catch up with their next CPU

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Have you updated your BIOS?
My computer would freeze randomly, and I'd have to do a hard reset to get it to work again.

Ellen Pudge 3rding the recommendation to rest the bios and ensure you are running the most recent bios update. Current version is F31j

X570 AORUS MASTER (rev. 1.0) Support | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global

I also have an Auros Master and am not experiencing any odd issues, but I am running F30.

Was the RAM Kit you purchased on the QVL? Just making sure. Your issue sounds like one I had when I had a poor OC on my RAM and didn't know it. If it's stable with a BIOS reset, the RAM settings/XMP may be the issue. That or the BIOS revision itself, which would suck.

If issues continue, consider upgrading or downgrading the bios version.

Thanks guys. I updated from F30 to F31j last night, but haven't had enough time to test. I also just checked the QVL here and my model number (F4-3600C16D-32GVKC) is not on the list. I haven't done anything fancy with the RAM other than enable XMP. I could slot in my old DDR4 ram and test tonight to see if there are any crashes -- could be a potential point of failure. I also do have my old power supply, but it's a 650w and I'm not sure of my current power draw.

edit:

I would also recommend resetting the BIOS to default settings. It does help. Beyond that I would try a different memory tester. I found problems with Karhu Mem Test in 20 minutes that I didn't find overnight with memtest.

Missed your post, thank you as well! I'll give that mem test a shot.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Thanks guys. I updated from F30 to F31j last night, but haven't had enough time to test. I also just checked the QVL here and my model number (F4-3600C16D-32GVKC) is not on the list. I haven't done anything fancy with the RAM other than enable XMP. I could slot in my old DDR4 ram and test tonight to see if there are any crashes -- could be a potential point of failure. I also do have my old power supply, but it's a 650w and I'm not sure of my current power draw.
cool. yea enable the XMP and just see how things go with the new Bios. hopefully all will be well. If not, disable the XMP profile and spend the day with it gaming again.

Anson225

Oct 26, 2017
Just want to say thanks everyone in this thread for your help in picking parts and all the supports
Finally got my 3080 and 5600x among the rest - ready to build!

Last edited:

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Windows plays the "new device found" chime every time I start my computer, seemingly tied to the AMD Radeon control panel appearing in the taskbar; is that normal?

Also while updating some motherboard drivers I tried downloading something called "Nahimic Audio" which appears to be some sort of 3D Audio plugin but after doing so it said it wasn't compatible, despite the ASRock website heavily advertising it for my motherboard. Oh well. Tried to uninstall it; hopefully I grabbed everything and it's not part of the above issue.

Kinda want to clean install Windows for the third time this month to flush it out, honestly.

Oct 25, 2017
cool. yea enable the XMP and just see how things go with the new Bios. hopefully all will be well. If not, disable the XMP profile and spend the day with it gaming again.

Oooookay. I ran the Karhu Mem Test for 45 minutes and my system crashed in the same way it has been doing all week. Disabled XMP and am testing further, but looks like the issue might actually be the RAM.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone suffered seemingly random UI unresponsiveness (not freezing) in Windows 10? Ever since I built my new PC (my first AMD build in years), I've had an issue where randomly, though not really frequently, the UI will stop responding but not freeze. I can still move the mouse and move windows, and open the start menu, but nothing will launch, apps are unresponsive (ie. an open Chrome window will be moveable and be able to minimize/maximize it, but trying to actually do anything in Chrome doesn't work - trying to close tabs don't register). I also can click on icons to open apps, but they don't open (unless they were already opened when it happened).

Just wondering if anyone has seen this? I'm not sure if it's a SSD thing, a Windows thing, a X570 or an AMD issue. I'm trying to avoid a full reinstall if I can help it since it happens so infrequently.