• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
Hi I recently purchased a 1TB crucial mx500 ssd. I was also gifted two 500gb seagate sshds (I think the name is barracuda? something like that). How would yall go about splitting these up into drives? Should I put the OS on the ssd or the sshds? thanks for any help.

OS on SSD.

Oct 29, 2017
Is there a website that will build a pc for you? I remember reading about something like that. My oldest son wants to build a PC but I thought this would be a nice start.
Depends on your region. In North America NCIX, while they existed, used to let you pick any parts and they would put it together, but they don't exist anymore. I think Microcenter let's you do something similar, but you have to go in person to pick it up from the store. Otherwise there are various online stores like ibuypower or cyberpowerpc that offer a wider variety of parts compared to other prebuild vendors, but not complete choice.

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
Looking to jump on the waiting list for a new GPU. I remember being told ages ago for manufacturers EVGA was the way to go for Nvidia cards and MSI or Sapphire for AMD cards. Is this still true?

Oct 29, 2017
Looking to jump on the waiting list for a new GPU. I remember being told ages ago for manufacturers EVGA was the way to go for Nvidia cards and MSI or Sapphire for AMD cards. Is this still true?
EVGA is the closest thing to a Shappire equivalent, but it doesn't mean much because for nvidia cards the other brands are usually just as good. Arguably Asus is always the one to have the best model, but that's because it is also the most expensive one (the ROG Strix)

MSI, Asus, Sapphire, and EVGA are safe because they usually have good to very good launch models, but that doesn't apply to every MSI , Asus, or EVGA card card of the same chip. Sometimes they drop the ball when they are asked to have smaller margins. MSI for instance had like 4 different versions of the Radeon 5700XT at launch, one was very good but expensive, and one ran very hot

That said, for nvidia EVGA is the only one that has a waiting list on their own site, for MSI and Asus you have to rely on a store having a waiting list of their own or be quick during a drop. Don't know what's going to be the situation with Radeon cards.

Last edited:

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
EVGA is the closest thing to a Shappire equivalent, but it doesn't mean much because for nvidia cards the other brands are usually just as good. Arguably Asus is always the one to have the best model, but that's because it is also the most expensive one (the ROG Strix)

MSI, Asus, Sapphire, and EVGA are safe because they usually have good to very good launch models, but that doesn't apply to every MSI , Asus, or EVGA card card of the same chip. Sometimes they drop the ball when they are asked to have smaller margins. MSI for instance had like 4 different versions of the Radeon 5700XT at launch, one was very good but expensive, and one ran very hot

That said, for nvidia EVGA is the only one that has a waiting list on their own site, for MSI and Asus you have to rely on a store having a waiting list of their own or be quick during a drop. Don't know what's going to be the situation with Radeon cards.
Thank you.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
I thought about getting a sound card for a while but I am unsure whether its wort it or not.
I wouldnt get it because of better sound but rather because to take stress of the CPU and GPU. I know years ago it was an option to get a sound card but things have changed probably.

So can anyone tell me if its wort it?
Main reason to get one for me is because I hope it improves frametimes and latency/responsiveness of my system for gaming. However i couldnt find any comparisons online.

Satori

Nov 13, 2017
For that price point and for all those features it's well worth it imo. It's been sold out everywhere for months now so I'm grabbing it now. Newegg has the extended return on it so if I decide to grab something else then I can just return it.

Asus was going to be my back up purchase if I could not get the 570x tomahawk actually lol

Lucentto

Oct 25, 2017
So how difficult is replacing a CPU fan? Its started making a loud grinding sound so I'm assuming it's on it's way out. I'm not super comfortable with replacing stuff in a PC but I'm imagining it's easy.

bic

Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone have any experience with this company https://linkup.one/?

I'm thinking of getting one of their PCIe 4.0 riser cables for my NZXT H1, here. Kinda concerns me that there's a pretty glaring typo right in the description: "Fully tested on GEN 4 devices: RTX3080, x570, b570 & M.2 NVMe SSD."

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
So how difficult is replacing a CPU fan? Its started making a loud grinding sound so I'm assuming it's on it's way out. I'm not super comfortable with replacing stuff in a PC but I'm imagining it's easy.

Pretty easy as long as you clean the existing thermal paste up nicely and don't forget to put new paste on. New CPU fan should come with some.

Kiyoshi

Apr 4, 2018
yes. Just ran:

C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

So maybe this helps. Interestingly, I literally don't have "WUD" installed, it's not in services.

Build is:

B550 Aorus Pro AC
3600X
Asus OC Dual 3070
Crucial Ballistix 2x16gb DDR4-3600
M.2 WD Black SN750
Corsair RM750

Do you have two separate power cables going from your PSU into each of the 8 pin connectors on the GPU?

I was getting graphics and PC crashes (Zotac 3080) with similar entries in the event viewer, and turns out I was using one cable from the PSU which was splitting off into 2x plugs. I switched to separate cables and haven't had one crash since.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

Replacing the fan on a CPU cooler is easy, as it's just attached to the cooler via clips or screws. Or did you plan to replace the entire cooler itself?

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017

As Smiley said it's easy but you'll want to let the CPU get nice and hot before you do it to loosen it up. You'll also need some rubbing alcohol to clean the old paste off of the CPU before you put more on.

Lucentto

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks guys. I'm just replacing the fan itself and not the heatsink, as I think that's fine (It's not even a year old). If it's just clips and screws then that's whatever.

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What fan controller should I be getting for a Lian Li Galahad 360 CPU Cooler with 3 RGB fans, and 6 chromax Noctuas with a Phanteks Halos Lux frame each?

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So, i settled for a 1660 super, And i'm pretty satisfied with most stuff, but man, this thing is a jet engine. so loud... Is there any way to reduce the load? my game rederns at 120fps, but my monitor only support 75hz, i feels like I'm wasting power here.

Also, my monitor image looks more... white. I tried to changed the setting of the monitor, but i still feel like its white.

Finally, witha 1660 super and a 3200g i can play vr games confortably(half life, resident evil)?

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
So, i settled for a 1660 super, And i'm pretty satisfied with most stuff, but man, this thing is a jet engine. so loud... Is there any way to reduce the load? my game rederns at 120fps, but my monitor only support 75hz, i feels like I'm wasting power here.

Also, my monitor image looks more... white. I tried to changed the setting of the monitor, but i still feel like its white.

Finally, witha 1660 super and a 3200g i can play vr games confortably(half life, resident evil)?

You can always use MSI Afterburner to set a custom fan curve and even undervolt your card to reduce temperature.

brainie

Mar 30, 2019
Hey everyone,
I'm long time lurker and first time poster in this thread. I've never built a pc and plan to change that soon, since editing bigger projects in 4k on my XPS15 isn't the snappiest experience and my interest in PC-Gaming is on the rise again, thanks to 2020 being what it is. Usage is going to be around 70% Creative stuff (Adobe CS mainly Premiere & AE & Resolve) and 30% gaming (WQHD on an AW3420, no competitive shooters or E-Sports).

Here's what I'm currently planning:

Motherboard: Asus ROG X570 Crosshair Hero VIII
CPU: Ryzen 9 3950x or 5900x
CPU Cooler: Kraken X73
GPU: Geforce RTX 3080 10GB (probably EVGA or Gigabyte, since these seem to be the "easiest" to get where I live atm)
RAM: 64GB (4x16) 3200MHz CL16 or 32GB 3600MHz CL18
Storage: 2x1TB 970 EvoPlus + 2TB SATA SSD (probably Samsung EVO or WD Blue)
PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus 850W Gold

Case: NZXT H710, BeQuiet 500dx or Phanteks P500A Digital

It would be great to get some thoughts and tipps, since I'm new at this.
So it's up to you now, Era: does that build make sense? What do you recommend?
Update: After having a look at reviews, benchmarks and prices, I decided to go with the 5900x. I managed to snag one and a Gigabyte 3080 Gaming OC last night out of pure damn luck and will order the other parts today.

If things go as planned, I'll be building my new rig this weekend.

I'm scared. A bit. Lol.

Azerare

Oct 25, 2017
Started putting my stuff together as I got some free time today. But I've hit a snag and need help.
Flashed to F31e (x570 Aorus Master) to use the 5950x, and I'm not even at the windows install point yet.
But in the bios set my EK-AIO 360 to max for the pump/stuff, but my cpu temps rise high in the bios temperature monitor, and the pc powered off after a bit (which made me check the bios temp to discover this issue).
Reapplied thermal paste, reseated pump, and verified connectors. Still see high temps in the bios.

What should I try at this point?

eEK!

Dec 25, 2018
I thought about getting a sound card for a while but I am unsure whether its wort it or not.
I wouldnt get it because of better sound but rather because to take stress of the CPU and GPU. I know years ago it was an option to get a sound card but things have changed probably.

Main reason to get one for me is because I hope it improves frametimes and latency/responsiveness of my system for gaming. However i couldnt find any comparisons online.
As far as I know sound cards haven't improved performance for a decade and aren't needed unless you want higher sound quality or additional outputs.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017

If you need to ask, you don't need it. Sound output take near zero stress on the CPU and GPU, they are completely irrelevant to gaming performance now.

Oct 26, 2017
Are there any updated guides for RAM in relation to Zen 3? With Black Friday coming up I'd like to get myself a good deal but I don't want to accidently get the wrong set of sticks!

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Are there any updated guides for RAM in relation to Zen 3? With Black Friday coming up I'd like to get myself a good deal but I don't want to accidently get the wrong set of sticks!

Any Zen 2 guide works here. It's the same memory controller. AMD is promising an AGESA update that might allow some users who win the silicon lottery to hit 2GHz FCLK but that's the only difference (and Hardware Unboxed couldn't hit it even then)

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
So I have made the fateful error of building a pc during the new graphics cards coming out.

After too much pussyfooting, I missed the window on getting the AMD RX 5700 XT for a reasonable price. They have now got close or over £400.

So the computer is basically going to be 'last gen' with an AMD 3700x processor and stuff. So my question...is it worth me trying to get one of the new AMD cards, I was thinking the cheapest version? Or should I just keep an eye out for the 5700 XT?

Oct 26, 2017
Any Zen 2 guide works here. It's the same memory controller. AMD is promising an AGESA update that might allow some users who win the silicon lottery to hit 2GHz FCLK but that's the only difference (and Hardware Unboxed couldn't hit it even then)

I had heard some things this week about the number of ranks on a particular stick (And therefore the total number of ranks being used) having an effect on performance, which wasn't an issue with Zen2, but to be honest I don't understand it all that well. It's all a bit confusing...

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
I had heard some things this week about the number of ranks on a particular stick (And therefore the total number of ranks being used) having an effect on performance, which wasn't an issue with Zen2, but to be honest I don't understand it all that well. It's all a bit confusing...

No, same thing on Zen 2 again. HU covered it on youtube this week. Basically, if you have dual ranks you will see somewhat higher performance. The most common dual rank setups are 4x8 (2 single ranks being addresses as a dual rank) and 2x16 (2 dual ranks) But basically means in some situations having 4 sticks is a net benefit

Drksage

Oct 30, 2017
  1. What's your budget and currency? USD. No real budget but also not looking to spend needlessly for small percentages of differences.
  2. What do you want to use the computer for? (gaming? web? video editing? everything?) Gaming and amateur video editing, maybe moving more towards the latter as it goes on. Use a 1440p monitor for both right now but that will likely change or be supplemented during the lifespan of this build.
  3. When do you plan to purchase the parts and build it? Last year. I kept getting told to wait for ___, then wait for ___, etc. I'm done. It's literally been over a year since I wanted to build and I've sat on software I've been unable to use for months now lol.
  4. Are you reusing any parts or are you building a completely new computer? Completely new, but I already have bought a few components.
  5. Do you only need the computer itself or do you need accessories, such as a monitor, mouse, keyboard, and speakers? Just the comp.
  6. Do you want to overclock? (will make your PC faster, but requires better cooling and can have various side effects) I have no experience in it and would be hesitant initially, but given the parts I got already, would sure seem a waste not to at some point.
I already bought a handful of the indemand parts this season and now that I have the shiny new toys, looking for advice on what rig to build around them. Here's what I have right now: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kGGdDc

3080/Ryzen 5900X combo being the impetus for this now. Considering tacking an additional 1 TB of better storage via the 980 Evo Plus, but not sure the NVME 4 differences are going to be that noticeable to be worth adding more on top of the 2 TB I already have of 3.

Beyond that, zero idea what I should be looking at. I'm fine with larger size cases and only have experience with air cooling, but understand I should probably be using liquid cooling this time out? Not sure what kind of considerations I need to have when looking at mobos or RAM. Someone linked me this:

www.gskill.com

G.SKILL Updates Trident Z Neo DDR4 Specs Up To DDR4-4000 CL16 16GBx2 for AMD Ryzen 5000 CPUs - G.SKILL International Enterprise Co., Ltd.

5 November 2020 – G.SKILL International Enterprise Co., Ltd., the world’s leading manufacturer of extreme performance memory and gaming peripherals, is announcing new DDR4 memory specifications under the Trident Z Neo series, optimized for the new AMD Ryzen 5000 processors. Featuring ultra-high...

Which would be another new piece of tech coming out this fall to use in the build but not sure what difference it brings/if I should be waiting yet again for another release.

Really just want to finish this thing at this point more than anything else. Any advice will be appreciated! Thanks

damn, that's a nice upgrade, I wish I've seen this before buying those G.skill neos.

I might need to do a return.

Dark-Cloudz

Oct 28, 2017
London
Hey guys, my brother wants a Mini ITX/moveable workstation for gaming and video editing. He has managed to find a 5600x at just over list (£340), so this is the build I recommended for him. Any thoughts? I know the GPU could be pushed further, but he wants to keep it all under £1000.

Cheers for any thoughts!

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/N4B2mk

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor£299.99
MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard£176.99
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory£64.95
Crucial P1 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive£55.49
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card£215.99
NZXT H210 Mini ITX Tower Case£79.98
EVGA BQ 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply£56.70

Total:£961.61

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have two separate power cables going from your PSU into each of the 8 pin connectors on the GPU?

I was getting graphics and PC crashes (Zotac 3080) with similar entries in the event viewer, and turns out I was using one cable from the PSU which was splitting off into 2x plugs. I switched to separate cables and haven't had one crash since.

I actually did that, yes. Which makes cable management look a bit funky but whatever.

Fun fact: I opened my case and realized my front-panel connector was off-set by one pin. I fixed it and it hasn't crashed since. I'm not sure HOW that could've caused it, but that's the likely culprit.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Anyone has experience with these two Motherboards? Both seems to have good Tº according to a Hardware Unboxed review, with the B55M Bazooka having the advantage. ASRock Pro4 has more Sata, USB 3.2 ports and a Type C one though, while not being a bad board even if you push a 3950x

eEK!

Dec 25, 2018
Anyone has experience with these two Motherboards? Both seems to have good Tº according to a Hardware Unboxed review, with the B55M Bazooka having the advantage. ASRock Pro4 has more Sata, USB 3.2 ports and a Type C one though, while not being a bad board even if you push a 3950x

I'm using an Asrock B450m-Pro4, which I'm happy with and it sounds like their B550 boards are also solid performers, so I'd say if the extra ports are worth more than the potential performance increase then go for the Pro4, but either board is a great choice.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
So far my new computer seems to work, slowly heading towards a week of working correctly! But one thing I noticed is that I have 2 phantom hard drives in my disk manager for some reason. 2 drives that say missing and the status is failed. I have nothing else plugged in besides all the working drives. They both have 100% free space left as well. Anybody know what that is about? All my hard drives are working and healthy. Nothing else is plugged in besides my working drives.

0RSGazK.png

Should I just delete them? I'm kinda scared too since 1 is the same size as my C: lol.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I order most of the parts I've chosen (still haven't landed a 3070), but Amazon won't have any TUF X570 Pros until the 17th at least.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on your region. In North America NCIX, while they existed, used to let you pick any parts and they would put it together, but they don't exist anymore. I think Microcenter let's you do something similar, but you have to go in person to pick it up from the store. Otherwise there are various online stores like ibuypower or cyberpowerpc that offer a wider variety of parts compared to other prebuild vendors, but not complete choice.
Thank you for the response.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
So I built my first PC in 6+ years everyone! Time to retire the DDR3 memory and 970gtx.

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($199.00)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler ($28.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 GAMING X ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($100.00)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($54.00)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($149.97 @ Amazon)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card ($500.00)
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 205 ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.00)
Power Supply: Sentey 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Free)
Windows 10: (Free)
Total: $1090.96

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
So I have made the fateful error of building a pc during the new graphics cards coming out.

After too much pussyfooting, I missed the window on getting the AMD RX 5700 XT for a reasonable price. They have now got close or over £400.

So the computer is basically going to be 'last gen' with an AMD 3700x processor and stuff. So my question...is it worth me trying to get one of the new AMD cards, I was thinking the cheapest version? Or should I just keep an eye out for the 5700 XT?

If you can't get the new hardware you want, and you don't want to wait around for it to become available at a decent price, try to put together a build that will allow you to do what you want with the PC *right now* using the cheapest possible parts, then you can slowly upgrade as more games come out that require better hardware, and by then hopefully availability and price will have settled a bit. e.g. Lots of really cheap last-gen GPU's will handle most games fine at 1080p; which might be enough for the next few months.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
If you can't get the new hardware you want, and you don't want to wait around for it to become available at a decent price, try to put together a build that will allow you to do what you want with the PC *right now* using the cheapest possible parts, then you can slowly upgrade as more games come out that require better hardware, and by then hopefully availability and price will have settled a bit. e.g. Lots of really cheap last-gen GPU's will handle most games fine at 1080p; which might be enough for the next few months.

Cool Thanks for the advice.

Oct 28, 2017
Question about updating BIOS with a flash BIOS button .

I have a new MSI B550 Gaming Plus mobo and I'll need to flash it so my 5800X will work. The manual says I only need the CPU and ATX power connections attached.

My current PSU is in my old rig. Can I only detach those 2 connectors from the old mobo and put them in my new mobo while leaving all other PSU stuff attached to old rig? Could that harm my other stuff when I try to flash the new mobo?

Since the MSI B550s have been having issues with flashing, I'd rather not have to unhook everything, find out it doesn't work, then have to hook everything back up to my old rig.

Thanks.

Update: I ended up disconnecting everything from PSU and seems my new mobo flashed fine.

Last edited:

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
So, my GTX 1660 Super is obliterated by Assassins Creed Valhalla. Sure, optimization issues, Ubisoft sucks, etc.

But would it be worth it to buy a 5700XT to replace my 1660 Super? It is fairly easy to get one for around 300$ (300€ +-), and if I sold my 1660 Super I would get a 100-150€ return, so it would only cost me around 200€.

I know new cards are around the corner, but they are really expensive, and for 1080p this gen maybe overkill?

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I'm using an Asrock B450m-Pro4, which I'm happy with and it sounds like their B550 boards are also solid performers, so I'd say if the extra ports are worth more than the potential performance increase then go for the Pro4, but either board is a great choice.

Thank you. Yeah it seems that the ASRock is the quality/features sweet spot. I doubt I'd ever use it with a R9 anyway so I think I'm gonna just go for that one once we know about the R5 5600 :)

So, my GTX 1660 Super is obliterated by Assassins Creed Valhalla. Sure, optimization issues, Ubisoft sucks, etc.

But would it be worth it to buy a 5700XT to replace my 1660 Super? It is fairly easy to get one for around 300$ (300€ +-), and if I sold my 1660 Super I would get a 100-150€ return, so it would only cost me around 200€.

I know new cards are around the corner, but they are really expensive, and for 1080p this gen maybe overkill?

As per https://www.techpowerup.com/review/...la-benchmark-test-performance-analysis/4.html

The 5700XT would give you above 70fps ultra settings at 1080p. It's totally an improvement.

I wouldn't say that new cards will be overkill for 1080p. Games are getting more demanding so the upcoming mid-range will probably be very good for 1080p rather than overkill. Unless you are reaaally eager to play AC Valhalla at max settings in 1080p, I'd wait for the new cards. You'll either get something better for the same price, or a price drop for the 5700XT

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you. Yeah it seems that the ASRock is the quality/features sweet spot. I doubt I'd ever use it with a R9 anyway so I think I'm gonna just go for that one once we know about the R5 5600 :)

As per https://www.techpowerup.com/review/...la-benchmark-test-performance-analysis/4.html

The 5700XT would give you above 70fps ultra settings at 1080p. It's totally an improvement.

I wouldn't say that new cards will be overkill for 1080p. Games are getting more demanding so the upcoming mid-range will probably be very good for 1080p rather than overkill. Unless you are reaaally eager to play AC Valhalla at max settings in 1080p, I'd wait for the new cards. You'll either get something better for the same price, or a price drop for the 5700XT

Somehow my 3600X&3070 build manages to run Valhalla at 4k at a solid 60fps (somehow the game is locked at that despite my TV, computer and cable supporting 4k@120 but w/e). At Ultra. No clue how but I'm not complaining!

EDIT: changing from borderless to fullscreen allowed 120hz, that explains that. Also I kind of lied, the benchmark at 4k doesn't hit 60, more like 45 - still happy!

Last edited:

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I currently have 16gb of ram, if I add 2 more sticks of the same ram, do I have to change anything with the xmp profile?

PC is not posting with 4 sticks, not sure what's going on. Doesn't seem to like xmp with the 4 sticks

Corsair vengeance lpx. Found someone with a similar issue and said this ram with 4 sticks doesn't like xmp

Last edited:

Magyscar

Oct 25, 2017
Just wondering, would my 1080ti hold back a 5900x considerably? Getting a new PC soon but not sure whether to stick with that and see what cards come out early next year or try and get my hands on a 6900 xt on release.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017

Not worth it. Wait for 3060 and the mid range offerings from AMD which would be significant upgrades from a 1660.
Just wondering, would my 1080ti hold back a 5900x considerably? Getting a new PC soon but not sure whether to stick with that and see what cards come out early next year or try and get my hands on a 6900 xt on release.
There isn't really a thing about "GPUs holding back CPUs", you just don't have enough GPU power if that happens. Depending on what you play and what resolution/fps you want, really.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Copy/pasting here, should be more helpful :P

Heya.

My PC is getting old, especially the CPU, RAM and MOBO.
My GPU being fairly recent (1070 Ti, bought 2 years ago), I thought I might as well build a new PC and just transfer my disks (HDD + 2 SSDs) and GPU. Maybe I can even turn the old PC into a living room PC/media center down the road.

I've already bought a cheap new ryzen CPU (3900XT) from a friend, so I'm now looking at mobos/RAM/PSU/case and then building it myself.

Does the whole thing sound reasonable to you? I'm not 100% sure about transferring disks but I don't really want to buy a new windows license (current one being an OEM), as it would inflate the price by a bunch.

If that's all good, I wouldn't mind recommendations for parts, I know about pcpartspicker and other sites doing the same thing, but am a bit lost.
I'd be looking at 32GB RAM (2*16) to be safe since it's cheap right now, the case I'm not worried about really.
I'm looking to buy parts in Europe/France, my budget would be maybe 800€ at most now that I have the expensive parts.

Cheers!

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
Copy/pasting here, should be more helpful :P

Heya.

My PC is getting old, especially the CPU, RAM and MOBO.
My GPU being fairly recent (1070 Ti, bought 2 years ago), I thought I might as well build a new PC and just transfer my disks (HDD + 2 SSDs) and GPU. Maybe I can even turn the old PC into a living room PC/media center down the road.

I've already bought a cheap new ryzen CPU (3900XT) from a friend, so I'm now looking at mobos/RAM/PSU/case and then building it myself.

Does the whole thing sound reasonable to you? I'm not 100% sure about transferring disks but I don't really want to buy a new windows license (current one being an OEM), as it would inflate the price by a bunch.

If that's all good, I wouldn't mind recommendations for parts, I know about pcpartspicker and other sites doing the same thing, but am a bit lost.
I'd be looking at 32GB RAM (2*16) to be safe since it's cheap right now, the case I'm not worried about really.
I'm looking to buy parts in Europe/France, my budget would be maybe 800€ at most now that I have the expensive parts.

Cheers!
You don't need 800 Euros for those. Additionally for the 3900XT it's recommended to get an aftermarket cooler, something like the 60 EUR Scythe Fuma 2 will do nicely