• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
My 3600X has an idle temp of around 50-60C/120-140F... that seems real high. Is the stock cooler that bad?

all the other temp monitors (MOBO & GPU) show around 30C/80F.

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
I did update the chipset drivers, yes. Didn't touch the power plan settings.
Then try that (power & sleep settings -> additional power setting; choose AMD balanced). This should help the CPU not being constantly boosting like it does in the normal power plan. Also only check temps, voltages and so on with CPU-Z or AMD Ryzen Master, other programs may artificially prevent your cores to go to sleep.
I'd also recommend increasing the reaction time of your CPU fan to deal with the temp spikes when the cores wake up; increasing the spin up time reduces noise a lot.

Last edited:

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
Then try that (power & sleep settings -> advanced power setting; choose AMD balanced). This should help the CPU not being constantly boosting like it does in the normal power plan. Also only check temps, voltages and so on with CPU-Z or AMD Ryzen Master, other programs may artificially prevent your cores to go to sleep.
I'd also recommend increasing the reaction time of your CPU fan to deal with the temp spikes when the cores wake up; increasing the spin up time reduces noise a lot.

I checked, and it IS set to AMD balanced.

It's definitely constantly gearing up & down. I'm just worried that it's quite the high Idle temp, no?

EDIT: I think part of the problem may be that even at idle it appears to be running ~1.3 Volt. This is the view with just chrome open. Without Chrome open voltage stays very similar, temps drop about 5C.
C7HpmHk.jpg

Last edited:

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely constantly gearing up & down. I'm just worried that it's quite the high Idle temp, no?
Depends on a lot of factors.
My 3700X is usually around 45° in Idle, with spikes to up to 55° when a core wakes up, with a Noctua NH-D14 at 30% in this range. If you have lower fans or something, I could see it as normal...

I was worried too at the beginning, but as it mostly stays under 70° under load (with higher fan speeds obviously), I'm not too worried anymore.

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Alright I'll try that today, hopefully that fixes it!

Edit: Still nothing. Everything seems to work but it's not really booting. Should I try to flush the bios because I have the new Zen 3? When I got into the bios on first try it did see I had it, but maybe that doesn't mean it's installed.
Yeah, if you haven't flashed the BIOS yet try that. My computer kept getting stuck on boot until I flashed it, then it worked fine.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see you fixed it in later posts.

Saty

Oct 27, 2017
Debating when i should be getting a new CPU+Mobo. What's the CPU landscape going to be a year from now?

If i go with Ryzen 5000, the next upgrade will require a new mono and new RAM.
Is the Rocket Lake chipset going to support the next Intel CPU?

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
Linus is doing the secret shopper thing again. It doesn't start off well, with Dell. #prebuilthell

Oct 25, 2017
I can't get AMD balanced to show up in my power plans after installing the chipset drivers. I've also tried manually installing from the AMD/Chipset_IODrivers/RyzenPPKG Driver/AMDPPMSettings.exe as well. Any other steps I can take?

edit: Asked the discord and seems like there's no need for AMD balanced with 5000 series.

Last edited:

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on a lot of factors.
My 3700X is usually around 45° in Idle, with spikes to up to 55° when a core wakes up, with a Noctua NH-D14 at 30% in this range. If you have lower fans or something, I could see it as normal...

I was worried too at the beginning, but as it mostly stays under 70° under load (with higher fan speeds obviously), I'm not too worried anymore.

I just have the stock cooler so maybe it's just bad? Surprisingly even when stress testing it the temps don't go that high either though, so I may just play around with the fan speeds to keep it more quiet. Just worried having it constantly at 50C won't be good for its durability.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
Ok after some issues and some dumb mistakes I think I'm finally fully done. The only issue left is, and I don't really have experience with this. My monitors only seem to work when I use the cable with those 2 pins you have to screw in. When I do a HDMI to HDMI cable it won't work. Is that normal? Last time I had my second monitor plugged into the motherboard for that reason I think (I just use it to browse and watch streams mostly) but I don't have another cable with the screws and HDMI.

Also does microsoft still transfer your OEM key to a new build if you ask? I forgot my code from my previous PC but it should be tied to my microsoft account maybe? If not I'll just buy another ebay code for cheap but just wondering if they still did that.

Your fan is not sitting flush with your heatsink and its killing me.

Sorry, what do you mean? I had to do it higher because of the RAM height.

Last edited:

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
This is probably a dumb question - with Ryzen Master if you set it to Auto OC, do you also need to select a profile? And either way, do you have to apply it/run it every time you boot into windows? Just double checking.

Thanks!

Deleted member 40010

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 16, 2018
Finland
Ok after some issues and some dumb mistakes I think I'm finally fully done. The only issue left is, and I don't really have experience with this. My monitors only seem to work when I use the cable with those 2 pins you have to screw in. When I do a HDMI to HDMI cable it won't work. Is that normal? Last time I had my second monitor plugged into the motherboard for that reason I think (I just use it to browse and watch streams mostly) but I don't have another cable with the screws and HDMI.

Also does microsoft still transfer your OEM key to a new build if you ask? I forgot my code from my previous PC but it should be tied to my microsoft account maybe? If not I'll just buy another ebay code for cheap but just wondering if they still did that.

Sorry, what do you mean? I had to do it higher because of the RAM height.

A HDMI to HDMI cable should work without problems. Have you tried selecting the HDMI input from the monitor's menu?

I also noticed that your CPU cooler is installed backwards. I took a pic of my own Mugen cooler (I have the two-fan model, but the heatsink is the same):

asVKhGq.jpg

Note the orientation of the Scythe logo on the heatsink and that the front fan doesn't cover the RAM modules.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
A HDMI to HDMI cable should work without problems. Have you tried selecting the HDMI input from the monitor's menu?

I also noticed that your CPU cooler is installed backwards. I took a pic of my own Mugen cooler (I have the two-fan model, but the heatsink is the same):

asVKhGq.jpg

Note the orientation of the Scythe logo on the heatsink and that the front fan doesn't cover the RAM modules.

I had it the other way around at first but I couldn't screw it in that way, so I reversed it, and then I could. I looked up a video and got really confused. Does it matter much and should I change it? I'd rather not honestly but if I have too I will I suppose. Or at least try, but I couldn't get the screw in.

Deleted member 40010

Banned
Feb 16, 2018
Finland
I had it the other way around at first but I couldn't screw it in that way, so I reversed it, and then I could. I looked up a video and got really confused. Does it matter much and should I change it? I'd rather not honestly but if I have too I will I suppose. Or at least try, but I couldn't get the screw in.

Well, I don't think it should matter much in practice. If your CPU isn't getting too hot, then the cooler is working fine.

Oct 25, 2017
crossposting from the AMD thread, some help/advice appreciated if it can save me money!

"
guys is there any reason to get a 5900x over a 5600x IF game performance benchmarks for my situation seem to be basically the same between the 2? i do not do any productivity

i have a 5900x on the way but that HUB video has me questioning my purchase

i mean in regards to stuff like "less or more ccds" which i have absolutely no idea what these terms mean tbh

i just want to know what im missing out, realistically, if i swap from the 5900x to the 5600x if all i do is gaming (my ram is 3200mhz if that matters) "

Anton668

Nov 5, 2017
crossposting from the AMD thread, some help/advice appreciated if it can save me money!

"
guys is there any reason to get a 5900x over a 5600x IF game performance benchmarks for my situation seem to be basically the same between the 2? i do not do any productivity

i have a 5900x on the way but that HUB video has me questioning my purchase

i mean in regards to stuff like "less or more ccds" which i have absolutely no idea what these terms mean tbh

i just want to know what im missing out, realistically, if i swap from the 5900x to the 5600x if all i do is gaming (my ram is 3200mhz if that matters) "

timestamped it for ya :)

If your not doing ANY productivity and only care bout games, i'd just get the 5600x

Oct 25, 2017
timestamped it for ya :)

If your not doing ANY productivity and only care bout games, i'd just get the 5600x

thank you i did watch this-what about the 5800x? would that be more future proof? i can save $200AUD if i swap the 5900x to the 5800x but ive read some really worrying things about the 5800x getting too hot too? is this something to worry about?

Anton668

Nov 5, 2017
thank you i did watch this-what about the 5800x? would that be more future proof? i can save $200AUD if i swap the 5900x to the 5800x but ive read some really worrying things about the 5800x getting too hot too? is this something to worry about?

If you watch his 5800 video, he pretty much states, if you can afford it, get the 5900 instead. If not, get the 5600.

like, the 5800 isnt worth the price over the 5600 and the 5900 IS worth the price over the 5800 if im understanding him correctly.

also i have not seen anybody say the 5800 is worryingly hot

Fauv

Oct 28, 2017
I'm a bit stuck here with my PC. I originally built it in 2014 and have made only very minor changes since then and it's chugged along faithfully this whole time. It's starting to show its age, so I was planning on starting a new build this year around a 3070. My plan was to slowly assemble it over time but at least try to get a 3070 at launch and just throw it in my old PC as I gathered parts. I was luckily able to get a preorder and my 3070 FE arrived last week. I pulled out my old 970, put in the 3070, and when I plugged everything back in, it didn't start... No spinning fans, no lights, nothing. Here's what I've tried:
- pulled out the 3070 and tried without a GPU
- reinstalled my 970
- tried pushing in cables just in case I loosened something during the swap
- removed all my RAM, tried two different sticks as the only installed stick

None of that worked. I suspected it might be a PSU issue, so I removed that from my case, unplugged everything, and did the paperclip test, which worked! I then plugged in just my motherboard and CPU to the PSU, fans started spinning, good sign. I then put back in my 970 and reconnected my SSD and HDD, plugged into my monitor, but was getting a boot loop. I removed all my RAM and reseated. That time everything successfully started up, but I was getting a "Reboot and select proper boot device" message on the screen. I went into the bios, saw my SSD (the boot drive) and selected it only to return to the "Reboot and select proper boot device" message. I decided to unplug and plug back in the SATA cable to my SSD, plugged back in... and now the whole PC won't start again...

I'm really at a loss, I feel like I'm missing something stupid like my power button not working, but I also tried jumping the motherboard directly with a screwdriver and that didn't do anything. Anyone have any ideas? Anything I should try out?

Oct 25, 2017

Fauv

Oct 28, 2017
I'm really at a loss, I feel like I'm missing something stupid like my power button not working, but I also tried jumping the motherboard directly with a screwdriver and that didn't do anything. Anyone have any ideas? Anything I should try out?

Ok, I have no idea why, but trying again just now, it turns on ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ but I'm still getting "Reboot and select proper boot device." What could cause the boot device not to work after moving things around in the case? I can see my SSD listed in the bios but selecting it gets me back to the same place

PhantomFFR

Oct 25, 2017
Vienna, Austria, EU, Earth
Ok, I have no idea why, but trying again just now, it turns on ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ but I'm still getting "Reboot and select proper boot device." What could cause the boot device not to work after moving things around in the case? I can see my SSD listed in the bios but selecting it gets me back to the same place

Could the Windows Boot Manager be one a different drive that is currently not connected?

Fauv

Oct 28, 2017
Could the Windows Boot Manager be one a different drive that is currently not connected?

That could be... I do have both my drives connected, but maybe one of them isn't being seen? When I go into my bios, I only see my SSD and Windows Boot Manager as options when switching the Boot Priorities, but when I hit F9 to directly select a boot device without fully going into the bios, it lists my SSD, my HDD, and Windows Boot Manager. Could that indicate that something's up with my HDD?

Resident Guru

Oct 28, 2017
Boot with only your SSD that has your OS. A bad drive can prevent your system from booting properly.

Fauv

Oct 28, 2017
So switching the primary boot drive to Windows Boot Manager worked, I'm now back into Windows. Maybe I accidentally switched it off of that while trying to find a fix, but I don't think so... oh well, time to try putting the 3070 in. Thanks for the help here!

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
Can i get some impressions on this build?
OWJFI7W.png

Prices are in Australian dollars, thanks!
High chance the motherboard currently does not have the required BIOS to boot a 5800X, and the TUF Plus does not have Flashback so might consider getting a MSI board.
PSU: You probably can do just fine with a 750W from Corsair, Seasonic or SuperFlower.
SSD: Overpriced, grab a Plextor, Crucial or WD Black.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
High chance the motherboard currently does not have the required BIOS to boot a 5800X, and the TUF Plus does not have Flashback so might consider getting a MSI board.
PSU: You probably can do just fine with a 750W from Corsair, Seasonic or SuperFlower.
SSD: Overpriced, grab a Plextor, Crucial or WD Black.
Legend, thanks heaps

Ballistik

Oct 26, 2017
Would anybody be able to share with me a budget build between $500-$750 for a 13 year old kid? He has a keyboard and mouse already, thinking something with lights :)

scurker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking at upgrading soonish from a i5 4690k/970 and would like to target 1440p @ 120hz.

I'm debating between an AMD 3700x vs a 5600x (to be paired possibly with a 3070). They're roughly the same price, but I'm trying to decide if I would have any use for 8 cores vs 6. I like the idea of better single threaded performance with the 5600x, but not sure how much I would be CPU bottlenecked at 1440. I'd also like to future proof somewhat, as I generally go 5-6 years between builds. Any suggestions or thoughts on this?

Anton668

Nov 5, 2017
I'm looking at upgrading soonish from a i5 4690k/970 and would like to target 1440p @ 120hz.

I'm debating between an AMD 3700x vs a 5600x (to be paired possibly with a 3070). They're roughly the same price, but I'm trying to decide if I would have any use for 8 cores vs 6. I like the idea of better single threaded performance with the 5600x, but not sure how much I would be CPU bottlenecked at 1440. I'd also like to future proof somewhat, as I generally go 5-6 years between builds. Any suggestions or thoughts on this?

If it's only for gaming, the few reviews i've seen that had comparisons between a 3700 and a 5600, the 5600 won 99.999999999999999% of the time.
it wasnt til productivity benches that the extra cores on the 3700 made a difference.
also, if you want to "future proof" it, why not get the newer architecture?

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
Maybe this helps to illustrate it:
untitled-16qj3j.jpg

If you nudge your cooler a bit upwards, so that it does not sit on the outside ledge it will be parallel to the front of the cooler... as it should be. That being said, this is more an aesthetical than necessarily a functional issue.

Alright haha, might try and nudge it in a bit then, it's so sharp though and cuts my hand open.

Well, I don't think it should matter much in practice. If your CPU isn't getting too hot, then the cooler is working fine.

Yea hopefully, I know this one runs hot, I haven't gamed on it yet or checked temps, I'll do that today. This case has 2 fans by default, but it has room for more. Would you recommend that since the 5800X runs hot?

I checked and geforce experience can see the monitor, and says how it is connected by what cable, but the one with DVI to HDMI turns on, the one with HDMI to HDMI doesn't and I can't change it in there or any other monitor settings. Also can't change it to 144hz for some reason, only have the 60hz option..

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Alright haha, might try and nudge it in a bit then, it's so sharp though and cuts my hand open.

Yea hopefully, I know this one runs hot, I haven't gamed on it yet or checked temps, I'll do that today. This case has 2 fans by default, but it has room for more. Would you recommend that since the 5800X runs hot?

I checked and geforce experience can see the monitor, and says how it is connected by what cable, but the one with DVI to HDMI turns on, the one with HDMI to HDMI doesn't and I can't change it in there or any other monitor settings. Also can't change it to 144hz for some reason, only have the 60hz option..

Is this a FreeSync monitor?

Deleted member 40010

Banned
Feb 16, 2018
Finland

Yeah, adding more case fans definitely helps with CPU temperatures. I'd suggest moving the front fan to the top of the case (somewhere near the back of the case, as an exhaust fan) and then getting two 140 mm fans to the front of the case.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
Is this a FreeSync monitor?

It's not, after googling around a bit it seems a cable related issue, since my monitor is 144hz and a 3070 should run that for sure. So the issues must be the cables.

Yeah, adding more case fans definitely helps with CPU temperatures. I'd suggest moving the front fan to the top of the case (somewhere near the back of the case, as an exhaust fan) and then getting two 140 mm fans to the front of the case.

I'll look into that then!

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I'm back at the drawing board. God I hate overthinking so much this stuff.

Here's the thing. I'm decided to skip the 3700x. At almost the same price of the 5600x doesn't make much sense buying that for gaming, even with the slim chance of the cores being a factor in some time.

That said, with import fees and stuff, the 5600x ends up being a bit over $100 in extra money than the 3600. I'm planning on using it with the eventual 3060/3060Ti, so I really don't know how much of a difference it's going to be if I just save that $100+ and go for the 3600. OR just play the waiting game until the 5600 is out (probably january).

All three options are going to be a generational upgrade over what I have but argh decisions decisions.

What would you do?

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
Ok I fixed my monitor issue. I had to make the input HDMI on the actual monitor menu. I think somebody said something about monitor menu before but I kept checking on the pc. I'm so dumb lol. At least, that put my second monitor on, but no 144hz options yet for either but I'm sure I did something dumb somewhere. Like my main monitor is now using the DVI to HDMI cable so that might be it.

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
I'm back at the drawing board. God I hate overthinking so much this stuff.

Here's the thing. I'm decided to skip the 3700x. At almost the same price of the 5600x doesn't make much sense buying that for gaming, even with the slim chance of the cores being a factor in some time.

That said, with import fees and stuff, the 5600x ends up being a bit over $100 in extra money than the 3600. I'm planning on using it with the eventual 3060/3060Ti, so I really don't know how much of a difference it's going to be if I just save that $100+ and go for the 3600. OR just play the waiting game until the 5600 is out (probably january).

All three options are going to be a generational upgrade over what I have but argh decisions decisions.

What would you do?

You're in a unique situation. I would personally wait for the 5600 next year. With all the information available Zen 2 just isn't an option anymore unless you're getting a cheap 3900x. It all depends on your gaming needs.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
You're in a unique situation. I would personally wait for the 5600 next year. With all the information available Zen 2 just isn't an option anymore unless you're getting a cheap 3900x. It all depends on your gaming needs.

Yeah I guess it makes sense. It shouldn't be a very long wait either. I play a broad variety of games, but I always do play AAA games so probably the 5600 will be a more sensisble, escalable to future GPUs, choice

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017

Ok I checked my case instruction manual, I have space for 2 at the top and 3 at the front if I do 120mm or 2 top and 2 front if I do 140mm.

Looking at the NZXT Aer RGB 2, 140mm, so I should get 2 of those for the front when I move the front one to the top. Should I get another 120mm for the top as well to put next to the original front fan? Or just keep the 1 at the top? Looks like I'd have to redo my CPU power cable then because that comes from the top airlock hole thingy and don't think the fan would fit with that there haha.

This is for the Meshify C