• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
So I'm looking to upgrade to an RTX 3080 when they eventually become readily available again, I currently sport a Ryzen 3600, at 1440p will I see much of a bottleneck?

Oct 26, 2017
Alright, I'll switch the SSD. Thanks!
And yeah... we are having some shortage with computer parts because of the Pandemic (Too much PC in demand to work and study at home)

About those new line of Zen 3 Ryzen Cpu's, aren't they on the pricey side + and the overall performance is not that huge?
(kinda read some tidbits on one of the threads here) Correct me if I'm wrong

One thing to note about M.2 Drives is that they get pretty hot. I believe the motherboard you chose has heat sinks so you should be Ok! Just make sure you read the instructions so that you apply them correctly!

Zen 3 reviews will probably be dropped the same day as launch, at which point there will be a clearer indication of whether its "worth it" to upgrade. I would assume that the value for money will be different depending on the tier of processor. (Oh, and some Zen3 do not ship with a stock cooler)

Another thing to note is Ram compatibility. It's a little complicated when it comes to Ryzen, and I'm afriad I don't know how to give proper guidance. I think you'd be OK with the ones you have chosen but I would do some googling first (Just about Ryzen ram compatibility in general) so that you have a decent understanding of issues that you might encounter.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
One thing to note about M.2 Drives is that they get pretty hot. I believe the motherboard you chose has heat sinks so you should be Ok! Just make sure you read the instructions so that you apply them correctly!

Zen 3 reviews will probably be dropped the same day as launch, at which point there will be a clearer indication of whether its "worth it" to upgrade. I would assume that the value for money will be different depending on the tier of processor. (Oh, and some Zen3 do not ship with a stock cooler)

Another thing to note is Ram compatibility. It's a little complicated when it comes to Ryzen, and I'm afriad I don't know how to give proper guidance. I think you'd be OK with the ones you have chosen but I would do some googling first (Just about Ryzen ram compatibility in general) so that you have a decent understanding of issues that you might encounter.
Eh heat is not usually an issue for Gen 3 drives. Also Zen 2 (and likely 3) don't really have big RAM compatibility issues any more, most known brand RAMs are just plug, XMP and play.

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
One thing to note about M.2 Drives is that they get pretty hot. I believe the motherboard you chose has heat sinks so you should be Ok! Just make sure you read the instructions so that you apply them correctly
On that topic: I'll finally get my first M2 drive.
I have a MSI X570 tomahawk, which has two M2 slots, with each a heatsink.
The primary slot is right between the GPU and CPU. Which with a 3700X and a 3080 will be the hottest spot on the board.
But the secondary M2 slot is right at the GPU vetillator, so would heat up the air used to cool the GPU.

Which of the two spot shoul I put the 980 Pro in? It does get up to 80° in load.

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
I am looking at adding a second SSD to my current build. Right now I have 256 gb SSD boot drive and 3 tb of traditional SATA platter hard drives. I'm looking to buy a 2 tb M.2 NVME drive. I currently have an i7-8700K, 32 gb DDR4 RAM, 3080 FE, all attached to a Aorus Z390 Pro WiFi motherboard. The original build was done almost two years ago. Obviously I swapped in a 3080 for the 2080 Ti I had before.

What I'm looking for is a bit of guidance as to what brand drive to buy. Is it as simple as just paying for something like a Samsung or WD Black, or is there some brand out there that I'm overlooking that has great performance/reliability but is cheaper than those options.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I am looking at adding a second SSD to my current build. Right now I have 256 gb SSD boot drive and 3 tb of traditional SATA platter hard drives. I'm looking to buy a 2 tb M.2 NVME drive. I currently have an i7-8700K, 32 gb DDR4 RAM, 3080 FE, all attached to a Aorus Z390 Pro WiFi motherboard. The original build was done almost two years ago. Obviously I swapped in a 3080 for the 2080 Ti I had before.

What I'm looking for is a bit of guidance as to what brand drive to buy. Is it as simple as just paying for something like a Samsung or WD Black, or is there some brand out there that I'm overlooking that has great performance/reliability but is cheaper than those options.

Read this guide I compiled, at the end is a simple chart that can help you choose what to get:

www.resetera.com

Small SSD Crash Course for Console Owners

SSD Guide anyone? NewMaxx is king of SSD guides The Basics https://www.cnet.com/how-to/digital-storage-basics-part-1-internal-storage-vs-memory/ https://www.cnet.com/how-to/digital-storage-basics-part-4-ssd-explained/ More In-depth Information + Buying Guide...

Oct 26, 2017
Eh heat is not usually an issue for Gen 3 drives. Also Zen 2 (and likely 3) don't really have big RAM compatibility issues any more, most known brand RAMs are just plug, XMP and play.

Good to hear! (On both counts)

On that topic: I'll finally get my first M2 drive.
I have a MSI X570 tomahawk, which has two M2 slots, with each a heatsink.
The primary slot is right between the GPU and CPU. Which with a 3700X and a 3080 will be the hottest spot on the board.
But the secondary M2 slot is right at the GPU vetillator, so would heat up the air used to cool the GPU.

Which of the two spot shoul I put the 980 Pro in? It does get up to 80° in load.

I'm not sure! I haven't actually built my system yet, but I've bought the exact same Mobo as you! Here's some info about the M.2 Slots:

2x M.2 slots (Key M)
  • M2_1 slot (from AMD® Processor)
    • Supports PCIe 4.0 x4 (3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™)
    • Supports PCIe 3.0 x4 (2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™/ Ryzen™ 4000 G-Series, Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics and 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Graphics)
    • Supports 2242/ 2260/ 2280/ 22110 storage devices
  • M2_2 slot (from AMD® X570 Chipset)
    • Supports PCIe 4.0 x4 (3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™)
    • Supports PCIe 3.0 x4 (2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™/ Ryzen™ 4000 G-Series, Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics and 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Graphics)
    • Supports SATA 6Gb/s
    • Supports 2242/ 2260/ 2280 storage devices

Sadly no info about thermals but I suppose that is to be expected. Im wondering what to do myself since the second slot doesn't support the 110 length drives. Maybe I should put the drive I have already in there in case I need to get a longer one in the future? Anyone else have any suggestions?

Crawl

Oct 25, 2017
What are you guys doing for X570 motherboards for Ryzen 5000 series? I dont have an old ryzen cpu to update bios for the 5000 series so it will recognize the processor. Is updating the bios with flashback is easy as just plugging the motherboard into a power supply and installing the new bios from a usb drive? Does anyone have any recommended videos of someone doing this? Thanks.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
What are you guys doing for X570 motherboards for Ryzen 5000 series? I dont have an old ryzen cpu to update bios for the 5000 series so it will recognize the processor. Is updating the bios with flashback is easy as just plugging the motherboard into a power supply and installing the new bios from a usb drive? Does anyone have any recommended videos of someone doing this? Thanks.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
anyone have experience with Durgod keyboards? Was considering their Venus, but am seeing some reports of freezes.

Also, is the HyperX Alloy FPS RGB pretty decent? It's hard to tell what is pure marketing and what are actual product reviews on YouTube.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Depends on your system as a whole, might help if you post your other parts as well.

Currently have

ECS H81H3-I, I7 4770 + 1060 6gb Zotac Mini with a 450w EVGA Bronze BT unit (a Sata SSD and Sata 7200rpm HDD)

Upgrading to:

AsRock B550M Pro4, Ryzen 3600 (maaaaybe 3700x, but not very likely) + keeping the 1060 6gb until the 3060/Ti launches, keeping the HDD but swapping the Sata SSD for a NVME

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Why doesnt the Gsynce option show under my Nvidia Control panel.

I go to Display and do the drop down but the option is not even there. It use to be though. Any explanation?

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
anyone have experience with Durgod keyboards? Was considering their Venus, but am seeing some reports of freezes.

Also, is the HyperX Alloy FPS RGB pretty decent? It's hard to tell what is pure marketing and what are actual product reviews on YouTube.

Got myself the hyperx alloy elite 2 a few days ago and i really like it so far.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017

Dont support Durgod, they are scamming people (myself included)on Kickstarter and Indiegogo.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I hate that I'm sitting here at work wondering if put enough thermal paste on my CPU.

Should have taken a picture before I plopped down the cooler just to make sure.

Oh well, it's definitely not too much, I know that for sure.

I just hate to keep taking the thing off and putting it back on because at some point I know I'm gonna fuck something up even worse. Doesn't help that only enough paste to handle two applications was included.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I hate that I'm sitting here at work wondering if put enough thermal paste on my CPU.

Should have taken a picture before I plopped down the cooler just to make sure.

Oh well, it's definitely not too much, I know that for sure.
It's very hard to mess up thermal paste application. Literally all you need is a pea size drop and the cooler will spread it out once tightened.

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
Currently have

ECS H81H3-I, I7 4770 + 1060 6gb Zotac Mini with a 450w EVGA Bronze BT unit (a Sata SSD and Sata 7200rpm HDD)

Upgrading to:

AsRock B550M Pro4, Ryzen 3600 (maaaaybe 3700x, but not very likely) + keeping the 1060 6gb until the 3060/Ti launches, keeping the HDD but swapping the Sata SSD for a NVME
I think your new upgrade may even work ok with your 450W but otherwise the PSU you are upgrading to looks very risk-free. Maybe someone else has experience with that particular brand but if the price is good it seems a safe purchase.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I think your new upgrade may even work ok with your 450W but otherwise the PSU you are upgrading to looks very risk-free. Maybe someone else has experience with that particular brand but if the price is good it seems a safe purchase.

Yeah, psu calc said the same but it's better to be safe than sorry (specially if in the future an upgrade has a higher TDP)

Just bought it. Saw reviews, seems good enough, plus the B Tier. With the shortage and the exchange rate going up, I think It'll be better

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
Okay so I have this now since it's basically the same price. 3600x with 2060 or 3600xt with 5600xt.

There's barely any performance difference between the 3600 and the 3600x and 3600xt. A 3600 with faster RAM will outperform a 3600xt as Zen 2 is cache and memory latency bound in games not frequency bound. So buy the cheaper CPU which is the 3600. The 3600xt is just a straight up overpriced CPU, it offers very poor price:performance, I can't recommend it in any situation.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
what diameter bolts should I be looking for to attach a standard computer fan to a surface? Its not technically for a PC its for an AV cabinet but I want to bolt them in place and its surprisingly hard to find the right size. Eg will an M4 fit neatly through (I'd use washer/nut to secure on the end)

pHseven

Sep 13, 2019
So I'm looking to upgrade to an RTX 3080 when they eventually become readily available again, I currently sport a Ryzen 3600, at 1440p will I see much of a bottleneck?

Take a look at this: https://www.tomshardware.com/features/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ampere-cpu-scaling-benchmarks

They did some testing with different CPUs in different games with different settings, all on a RTX 3080. That should give you an idea.

Verdict: If you run a modern CPU with less than 6-core, it would be a good idea to upgrade. Anything above is fine.

Sure, you gain some % in FPS but we're talking about stuff like 137FPS vs 131FPS and to be honest, I don't think that matters all too much.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
My TUF 3080 OC came in the mail today. Brought it along with my rig to my local PC shop. Upgrading the whole shebang, should have an absolute BEAST of a machine when I pick it up in a couple of days. Getting an SSD for the first time based on people in this thread telling me I'm a fool for not having it already.

I was going to basically give away my old 1080 to a friend cuz I figured they would be worth next to nothing now, but I took a look on Amazon and EBay and it seems like 1080s are still fairly pricy. Kinda surprised at that; but good for me I guess, I might be able to make a couple hundred bucks off it.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
Not even kidding, you might feel a bigger change in general doing this than by doing 1080->3080

Yeah, I hear ya. I mean, I'm way more concerned about performance than I am loading times, but between the two of em I'm sure the change will be amazing. Also getting a new core and motherboard so I'm expecting it to be pretty dope all around.

vhyn

Nov 13, 2017
So I finally built my machine on a cardboard testbench because my case still hasn't shipped, so far it is working fine and those RGB lights look really good.
However I need some guidance on where to get a cheap Windows 10 Pro license. I bought one from kinguin but even after multiple activation attempts it still hasn't gone through. Would I be better of buying an ESD license instead of an OEM key?

Deleted member 2210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's a build I'm thinking of making, I haven't chosen a video card yet But I'm sure a few things here and there can be improved. Nothing is a permanent choice so far. the last time I built a computer I had MKenyon's advice but he doesn't seem to be here so LMK what you think.

Code:
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Gigabyte B450 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard
G.Skill Trident Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Western Digital Black 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Crucial P1 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case
Corsair CXM 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
Here's a build I'm thinking of making, I haven't chosen a video card yet But I'm sure a few things here and there can be improved. Nothing is a permanent choice so far. the last time I built a computer I had MKenyon's advice but he doesn't seem to be here so LMK what you think.

Code:
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X

Since you are going with a 5900x it seems you want a no compromises build. Based on that, I have some thoughts about it:
  • Why go with a B450 board instead of a B550 or X570? I think you are missing on PCI 4.0 and some other stuff that comes with the more modern boards.
  • Rumor has it that 4000mhz RAM may be the sweet spot for Ryzen 5000. You may want to keep an eye on reviews mentioning that as you may get better performance with those (they are pricey though).
  • While you are at it, if you switch to a B550/X570 board you may want to get a faster NVME like the 7000mb/s ones that are being launched these coming months. Not that it would make a huge difference but it's safe future proofing.
Just based on your choice of processor, seems like the rest of the components will not be extracting the absolute best of it, but then again I may be wrong. Maybe some other posters will enlighten us.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

Code:
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X

If you're going to use an M.2 drive as your OS drive, the Crucial P1 isn't that great a choice. I'd get a drive that has DRAM, like a Sabrent Rocket, WD Black SN750, or XPG SX8200.

See this chart for more ideas.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Dont support Durgod, they are scamming people (myself included)on Kickstarter and Indiegogo.
can you tell me more about what's going on?

edit: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...board-that-brings-nostalgic-memories/comments

www.facebook.com

Durgod | Shenzhen

Durgod, Shenzhen, Guangdong. 1,166 likes · 3 talking about this. Zhuhai Xuesi Electronic Technology Co., Ltd. was established in 2016. It integrates design, R&D, pro

I see.

Got myself the hyperx alloy elite 2 a few days ago and i really like it so far.
excellent.

So rumors are that 4000MHz is the sweet spot for zen 3.
Source for this rumor? I've not heard there will be any change to where the "sweet spot" is.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since you are going with a 5900x it seems you want a no compromises build. Based on that, I have some thoughts about it:
  • Why go with a B450 board instead of a B550 or X570? I think you are missing on PCI 4.0 and some other stuff that comes with the more modern boards.
  • Rumor has it that 4000mhz RAM may be the sweet spot for Ryzen 5000. You may want to keep an eye on reviews mentioning that as you may get better performance with those (they are pricey though).
  • While you are at it, if you switch to a B550/X570 board you may want to get a faster NVME like the 7000mb/s ones that are being launched these coming months. Not that it would make a huge difference but it's safe future proofing.
Just based on your choice of processor, seems like the rest of the components will not be extracting the absolute best of it, but then again I may be wrong. Maybe some other posters will enlighten us.

This helps me a lot NGL. Tbh I haven't built a computer literally since getting help on GAF for my last build. So 8 years, I'm not as versed with what "works" well with each other now a days. I'll look into finding a better board in that chipset, and that RAM too.

If you're going to use an M.2 drive as your OS drive, the Crucial P1 isn't that great a choice. I'd get a drive that has DRAM, like a Sabrent Rocket, WD Black SN750, or XPG SX8200.

See this chart for more ideas.

Thanks for this. Don't know much about these drives since they weren't invented my last build lol.

Could probably afford the 500 GB one as an OS drive.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
wccftech.com

AMD's Ryzen 5000 "Zen 3" Desktop CPUs Geared For Memory Overclocking, Recommends DDR4-4000 As The Sweet-Spot In Leaked Slide

AMD Ryzen 5000 Desktop CPUs seem to be well tuned for memory overclocking and DDR4-4000 MHz is recommended as the sweet spot for Zen 3 chips.
goddamnit. I just bought some 3600 b-die. I would expect it can handle an OC to 4000 (it's TOTL), but I don't know if my timeline for getting a 5900X vs the return window is going to give me enough time to really find out. I guess I can try OC'ing the kit to 4000 on my 3900X-based system, yea?

If I need to return it for a kit designed for 4000, I most certainly will. If I've learned anything about Ryzen, it's that the sweet spot fucking matters.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Quick question guys, is this Motherboard OK for my planned setup?

I'm gonna be running an AMD 5600X, 32 GB DDR4 3200 MHz and a 1060 6B GTX until I upgrade to a 3060 sometime next year. I'll probably have one PCie4.0 NVMe drive for games and a 3.0 drive for the OS/applications/etc in the future too. Will everything work there? I'm new to the NVMe scene.

Already have a PSU, SATA SSDs and all the other stuff.

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
Take a look at this: https://www.tomshardware.com/features/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ampere-cpu-scaling-benchmarks

They did some testing with different CPUs in different games with different settings, all on a RTX 3080. That should give you an idea.

Verdict: If you run a modern CPU with less than 6-core, it would be a good idea to upgrade. Anything above is fine.

Sure, you gain some % in FPS but we're talking about stuff like 137FPS vs 131FPS and to be honest, I don't think that matters all too much.
Sweet, good to know. It sounds like most current AM4 slot mobos will be compatible with the Ryzen 5000 CPUs so I'll be good if I ever need to upgrade.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
goddamnit. I just bought some 3600 b-die. I would expect it can handle an OC to 4000 (it's TOTL), but I don't know if my timeline for getting a 5900X vs the return window is going to give me enough time to really find out. I guess I can try OC'ing the kit to 4000 on my 3900X-based system, yea?

If I need to return it for a kit designed for 4000, I most certainly will. If I've learned anything about Ryzen, it's that the sweet spot fucking matters.

You're going to have to be incredibly unlucky if you can't clock 3600mhz b die to 4000mhz, I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Make sure you switch your infinity fabric to 1:2 mode when testing on your 3900x as you'll never get to 2000mhz Infinity Fabric clocks on Zen 2.

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Micro Center has an i9-9900k on sale for $299 right now. I currently have a 8700k and z390 motherboard. I also have a RTX 3080. Realistically what sort of gains are there for 4K gaming between the 8700k and 9900k? I could sell the 8700k abs recoup some of the money and I know I'd be gaining two cores, just not sure if it's worth it. Performance comparisons online seem to be all over the map.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, I hear ya. I mean, I'm way more concerned about performance than I am loading times, but between the two of em I'm sure the change will be amazing. Also getting a new core and motherboard so I'm expecting it to be pretty dope all around.

An SSD isn't just about load times it's about having a fast, snappy and responsive system that isn't an exercise in frustration just navigating the OS.