• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
RGB is just RGB. I think most have controllers on the fan case or you can plug into an ARGB header on your motherboard. I have a lancool 2 mesh which is similar and I just have mine set to white..

I'd definitely add at least one exhaust fan - possibly one at top rear too. Solid case (I mean not solid, but solid if you know what I mean)
Ugh, I'm torn. I don't know if I should order the Meshify C or the Phantek P400A.

I like the extra space of the P400A, just in case. But it's not like I need it for a RTX 3070...

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, I'm torn. I don't know if I should order the Meshify C or the Phantek P400A.

I like the extra space of the P400A, just in case. But it's not like I need it for a RTX 3070...

I was where you are now. liked the meshify C, slightly limited space for air cooler, slightly limited space for GPU but most would be fine. And I was moving from an ITX case so it'd still be bigger. In the end that small doubt moved me to the Lancool 2 mesh RGB. Other than the glass side panel on the right (unnecessary) its a great case. P400A seems very similar, it was between those two in the end.

Just yesterday I saw the Lancool 215 (?) which seems similar but a little more compact with 2x200mm RGB front fans and a rear 120mm fan. Although it might confuse you even more it could be worth checking.

In the end you're worrying about maybe a few % differences here or there but they're all great cases so none of them are bad if you're lookign for airflow cases

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I was where you are now. liked the meshify C, slightly limited space for air cooler, slightly limited space for GPU but most would be fine. And I was moving from an ITX case so it'd still be bigger. In the end that small doubt moved me to the Lancool 2 mesh RGB. Other than the glass side panel on the right (unnecessary) its a great case. P400A seems very similar, it was between those two in the end.

Just yesterday I saw the Lancool 215 (?) which seems similar but a little more compact with 2x200mm RGB front fans and a rear 120mm fan. Although it might confuse you even more it could be worth checking.

In the end you're worrying about maybe a few % differences here or there but they're all great cases so none of them are bad if you're lookign for airflow cases
If I were to get the Meshify C, should I add fans to it? Since it only includes two.

Also, another question, if I go with an AIO... uh... I've never done water cooling before. The radiators need fans attached to them, right? do they tend to be included when you buy the AIO? Sorry, I'm a bit of a noob. Last time I built a PC was in 2016, and it was 100% air cooled.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Ugh, I'm so confused. I really really like the Phanteks P400A but how would it work if I buy an AIO?

It doesn't support top mounted radiators, so where should I mount it? Front or back? If I mount it on the back, how would I get the air out of the case then? If I mount it on the front, what happens to the stock RGB fans, can I still use them?

Pls help

Bii

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, I'm so confused. I really really like the Phanteks P400A but how would it work if I buy an AIO?

It doesn't support top mounted radiators, so where should I mount it? Front or back? If I mount it on the back, how would I get the air out of the case then? If I mount it on the front, what happens to the stock RGB fans, can I still use them?

Pls help

You can mount the radiator on the front and move the two stock fans included in the case to the top.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

Pls help

Front. I don't think cases usually support rear as you have the motherboard I/O there etc. AIO normally comes with fans but check the one you're buying just in case. They're pretty straightforward to fit so shouldn't have anything to worry about there. But if you've never done water before why not stick with an air cooler?

Worth checking youtube and watching a few builds there to get some idea of where things normally go, and reassurance that things are generally straightforward

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
You can mount the radiator on the front and move the two stock fans included in the case to the top.
But that'd destroy the look of the case...

I've seen images of front mounted radiators while keeping the stock fans on:

bc9l6842ny541.jpg

...doesn't this negate what the intake fans do?

Front. I don't think cases usually support rear as you have the motherboard I/O there etc. AIO normally comes with fans but check the one you're buying just in case. They're pretty straightforward to fit so shouldn't have anything to worry about there. But if you've never done water before why not stick with an air cooler?

Worth checking youtube and watching a few builds there to get some idea of where things normally go, and reassurance that things are generally straightforward
Well, there's a first time for everything, right? But thanks.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished up my summer restoration project over the weekend.

V7N50xH.jpg

OvKj68Q.jpg
H7gRZgi.jpg
apf6A5R.jpg

nq8uZew.jpg

I painted the case dark metalic silver over satin black base with a royal blue interior and a clear lacquer top coat. My rubbish camera doesn't pick up how crazy sparkly the metalic paint refects in the light.

Also you won't believe how much this thing weighs (just over 18kilos), so I won't be taking it to any lan parties anytime soon.

Specs:

Ryzen R5 3600.
MSI B550 Mortar Wifi.
32gb GSkill TridentZ 3000cl14.
Alphacool Eisbaer 360 AIO with 90 degree EK fittings.
Sapphire Rx580 Gpu.
120gb Intel Sata SSD system drive, 512gb Samsung Nvme game drive and a couple of 2tb hard drives.
Corsair RM750 Psu with braided cables.
How do you fill that loop though?

Psykoboy2

Oct 27, 2017
Alabama

This isn't so much as help as it is just to say I know what you're going through. I think out of EVERYTHING in my current build - the case was the hardest trigger to pull. Just because I couldn't decided. I was on the 011-XL train for the longest time until I actually measured my space and realized about nearly an inch or more would be hanging off the desk. I almost talked myself into thinking I'd be okay with that, but I knew better.

Went back and forth with cases for a while and even wanted the P500A but it was never in stock. Finally took the plunge on the Lian Li o11-Dynamic - the regular sized one - when I just happened to check Amazon and they were in stock (shipped and sold by). I haven't started the build yet (this weekend) and I'm STILL not sure I want the case, but I'm warming up to it the longer I have it.

Good luck, though. It's a tough decision sometimes, but it'll work out however which way you go with it.

RSTEIN

Nov 13, 2017
Hi everyone. I got a new be quiet PSU. My EVGA PSU had 2 8 pins that I connected to the two 8 pins on the 3080. However the be quiet has a 12 pin that splits into two 8 pins. There are two of these cords. Do I use one 12 pin and then split at the GPU (one for each 8 pin) or do I use two of the 12 pins and only use one of the attached 8 pins (ie, two 12 pins, using one 8 pin from each).

Thanks so much!

Deleted member 51957

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
I'm running deep down the horrible RGB rabbit hole now.

iCUE runs all my fans. It's totally solid and works after learning the UI.
I then have an ASUS mobo w/ GSkill RAM. My mobo shows up in iCUE, but the RAM does not so that needs ASUS AURA (not sure if I should be using ASUS Creator)
I now have an EVGA 2070 Super, which uses the EVGA X1 app for its colors. I noticed this temporary card has an RGB header on it... Does that mean I can get a cable to connect that header to my mobo's RGB header, potentially syncing its colors with my mobo in iCUE?

My RGB requests are simple.. I just want to be able to sync static colors without opening each program up individually. I did some reading and it seems openRGB is the way to go: https://gitlab.com/CalcProgrammer1/OpenRGB/-/wikis/home

Just wondering if someone has a different suggestion before I dive even deeper?

Helmholtz

Feb 24, 2019
Canada
If I get the Fractal Design Meshify C, should I add fans to it? Or are the 2 included fans enough?
I used this case to build my PC about 1 year ago. It comes with one small intake at the front and one small outtake at the back. Technically I think it's fine to run it that way - you can always add more later on. Me personally, I added two 140mm intake fans to the front of the case, and moved the 120mm fan that came with the case to the top of the case as an extra exhaust. It has worked nicely for me - it's dead quiet and seems to move air a lot better. I did it for peace of mind more than anything, and also feeling that two smaller 120mm fans wasn't that great. Also, it was my first time customizing case fans, and I found it to be a pretty simple task, especially with that case.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020
Does anyone have any recommendations for SFX PSUs? I currently have a NZXT H210 case and my current PSU is choking my GPU. Most people say getting a smaller PSU is the way to fix this as the GPU can better intake better from the bottom of the case.

I see very limited options for these types of PSUs online. Everything is super expensive and I can't find anything over 750W.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Okay, I just saw that my EVGA Supernova G2 850W straight up won't fit the Meshify C unless I remove the 3.5" HDD bay thingy., which I won't do. So that solves that dilemma lol. Guess I'm definitely going for the P400A.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm having such a time deciding between the 10600K and the 3700X. I really only care about gaming, but I would like to not make another CPU/mobo update for the next few years. Which option would be better moving forward - or is the true answer waiting for Gen 3 next week?

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I'm having such a time deciding between the 10600K and the 3700X. I really only care about gaming, but I would like to not make another CPU/mobo update for the next few years. Which option would be better moving forward - or is the true answer waiting for Gen 3 next week?
Bruh Zen 3 is getting announced next week.

If you need the PC NOW, I'd recommend the 3700X: more cores and has an upgrade path. If you don't need it NOW just wait for Zen 3.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

Wait for Gen 3, then wait for Gen 3 reviews. Both I think will then be on dead-end motherboards so any upgrade to Gen 4 or Intel 11xxxx will need something new and you can make a clean choice based on gaming. My guess is if AMD bring some decent updates they may be close enough you can just roll a dice - or pick Zen for PCIe4 Nvme support

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Out of these two, which one is better recommended? Both are B-Tier in the LTT PSU tier list, Segotep is less known brand but still reliable

Home-Segotep

Segotep is a well known brand for Computer Case and Power Supply in China. Establish in 2003 until today, Segotep have their own Manufacture and Production Line, most importantly they have their own Research and Development(R&D) team. Nowadays with the growth of the Gaming Industry, Segotep had...

www.evga.com

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 GA, 80 Plus Gold 750W, Fully Modular, Eco Mode, 10 Year Warranty, Includes Power ON Self Tester, Compact 150mm Size, Power Supply 220-GA-0750-X1

Introducing the EVGA SuperNOVA GA Series of power supplies - the newest addition to the outstanding line of EVGA Power Supplies. Featuring 80 Plus Gold certification, 100% Japanese capacitors, a durable double-ball bearing fan, and a fully modular design, this power supply is built for long-term...

Oct 28, 2017
So we know that Zen3 will work with x570 and b550 boards, but do we know if there is going to be a new mobo type when zen 3 launches or should I jump on the x570 board I've been eyeing for awhile?

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Maan, wish it was mid-October already. I want to decide what CPU and motherboard to get so I can start saving and planning the timeline in earnest.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
What are the real world advantages of going with x570 over b550? Can you have PCIe Gen4 storage with b550?

RSTEIN

Nov 13, 2017
Out of these two, which one is better recommended? Both are B-Tier in the LTT PSU tier list, Segotep is less known brand but still reliable

Home-Segotep

Segotep is a well known brand for Computer Case and Power Supply in China. Establish in 2003 until today, Segotep have their own Manufacture and Production Line, most importantly they have their own Research and Development(R&D) team. Nowadays with the growth of the Gaming Industry, Segotep had...

www.evga.com

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 GA, 80 Plus Gold 750W, Fully Modular, Eco Mode, 10 Year Warranty, Includes Power ON Self Tester, Compact 150mm Size, Power Supply 220-GA-0750-X1

Introducing the EVGA SuperNOVA GA Series of power supplies - the newest addition to the outstanding line of EVGA Power Supplies. Featuring 80 Plus Gold certification, 100% Japanese capacitors, a durable double-ball bearing fan, and a fully modular design, this power supply is built for long-term...

I had the exact same EVGA as of today. Got rid of it. Made a loud noise at idle (not fan). I couldn't stand it. Swapped it out for a be quiet dark pro.

Oct 29, 2017
Any recommendations for a 27" 1440p monitor with g-/freesync would be appreciated. Not looking to break the bank, just want something solid.
Some reviews from Hardware unboxed of affordable 27" 1440p:
www.youtube.com

ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD Review, The Best Value IPS Gaming Monitor

Join us on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/hardwareunboxed Disclaimer: Any pricing information shown in this video was accurate at the time of video product...
www.youtube.com

Viotek GFV27DAB Review, A Budget 1440p 144Hz VA Challenger

Support us on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/hardwareunboxedViotek GFV27DAB - https://amzn.to/2LTSZ1ZAsus VG279QM - https://amzn.to/2Wpg5E4LG 27GN750 - htt...
www.youtube.com

Gigabyte G27QC Review, A Budget 1440p 165Hz Gaming Monitor Option

Support us on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/hardwareunboxedGigabyte G27QC - https://amzn.to/3aAZEKkGigabyte G32QC - https://amzn.to/2BmJTcNSamsung Odyssey...
www.youtube.com

MSI MAG272CQR Review, The $400 1440p 165Hz VA Gaming Option

Support us on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/hardwareunboxedMSI MAG272CQR - https://amzn.to/2XvZhMbViotek GFV27DAB - https://amzn.to/2LTSZ1ZAsus VG279QM - ...
And some of the $500 and up usual suspects for comparison:
www.youtube.com

ViewSonic Elite XG270QG Review, Buy This or LG 27GL850 for 1440p Gaming?

Join us on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/hardwareunboxedDisclaimer: Any pricing information shown in this video was accurate at the time of video producti...
www.youtube.com

Samsung Odyssey G7 Review, The Fastest VA Display Ever

Support us on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/hardwareunboxedSamsung Odyssey G7 - https://amzn.to/30dsBqSHP Omen X 27 - https://amzn.to/36rLzuIAsus VG279QM ...
www.youtube.com

LG 27GL850 Review, Is This The Ultimate 1440p 144Hz Gaming Monitor?

Join us on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/hardwareunboxedDisclaimer: Any pricing information shown in this video was accurate at the time of video producti...
www.youtube.com

Asus VG27AQ Review, The Value 1440p 165Hz IPS Option from Asus

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I'm really surprised to see that apparently you can use a radiator with fans as intake. It just doesn't make sense in my head, but I guess, lol.

Basically, if I understood reddit correctly, I can front mount a radiator in the Phantek P400A (RGB digital, the one with 3 RGB fans), and mount the included RGB case fans to the radiator instead of the ones that come with the radiator, thus leaving the look of the case intact and still having front intake. Then, I could repurpose the fans that come with the AIO for a top exhaust. Does this sound right?

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Anybody out there familiar with RAID vs. Windows' "Storage Spaces" feature?

I'm dropping in a 1TB NVMe drive but at some point in the future I'd probably drop in a second drive in the second M.2 slot for more storage.

Since this is just a Gaming-focused PC I'm not particularly concerned about data redundancy so I'd probably just like to combine both devices into one large volume.

Is this best set up via the EFI/BIOS RAID feature on my motherboard or within Windows' own feature set for this? (Either Disk Management or Storage Spaces)

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really surprised to see that apparently you can use a radiator with fans as intake. It just doesn't make sense in my head, but I guess, lol.

Basically, if I understood reddit correctly, I can front mount a radiator in the Phantek P400A (RGB digital, the one with 3 RGB fans), and mount the included RGB case fans to the radiator instead of the ones that come with the radiator, thus leaving the look of the case intact and still having front intake. Then, I could repurpose the fans that come with the AIO for a top exhaust. Does this sound right?
My Lian Li O11D XL has two radiators, one on the bottom and the other on top; bottom has intake, top has exhaust. It's pretty normal.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
My Lian Li O11D XL has two radiators, one on the bottom and the other on top; bottom has intake, top has exhaust. It's pretty normal.
That's good to hear. I think I'll be happy with the P400A I ordered. Thanks :)

While we're at it, can anyone recommend me some AIO coolers? I'll be using it on whatever 8c/16t Zen 3 CPU AMD releases. I've heard that if the radiator is too long, I might be required to give up the 3.5" HDD bay on my P400A. I'm not willing to do that. So what's my size limit for a front mounted radiator?

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's good to hear. I think I'll be happy with the P400A I ordered. Thanks :)

While we're at it, can anyone recommend me some AIO coolers? I'll be using it on whatever 8c/16t Zen 3 CPU AMD releases. I've heard that if the radiator is too long, I might be required to give up the 3.5" HDD bay on my P400A. I'm not willing to do that. So what's my size limit for a front mounted radiator?
NZXT Kraken or the EKWB AIO.

Don't go smaller than 240mm.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I picked up the Segotep for my build and while I haven't assembled the whole thing yet, I can at least attest to this PSU's build quality - which was good and comparable to the Corsairs I've worked with in the past.

Awesome, I've read good things about it, I'll probably go for that one. Gold rated, good tier, high wattage and it doesn't cost an eye

Big bummer. Obviously I had a defective unit and EVGA still gets good reviews. But it has certainly left a sour taste in my mouth.

It's listed as "Low Priority - Minor Issues" in the LTT tier, so I guess it's not that uncommon of a problem. The Segotep is cheaper so I think it's better for me to go with that one

Oct 26, 2017
My friend is a streamer and thinks his i5 7500 is bottlenecking him when it comes to streaming. He also has an Nvidia 980. He's looking to update both and asked me for a recommendation for a new CPU that is still LGA 1151. He is looking for a nice upgrade that doesn't break the bank, and I have 0 clue since I haven't rebuilt in ages. I'm assuming most i7s will be a jump up for him?

Oct 29, 2017
I used this case to build my PC about 1 year ago. It comes with one small intake at the front and one small outtake at the back. Technically I think it's fine to run it that way - you can always add more later on. Me personally, I added two 140mm intake fans to the front of the case, and moved the 120mm fan that came with the case to the top of the case as an extra exhaust. It has worked nicely for me - it's dead quiet and seems to move air a lot better. I did it for peace of mind more than anything, and also feeling that two smaller 120mm fans wasn't that great. Also, it was my first time customizing case fans, and I found it to be a pretty simple task, especially with that case.
I've got the same case and have been looking at getting a couple 140mm fans. Which ones do you use?

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
NZXT Kraken or the EKWB AIO.

Don't go smaller than 240mm.

Is the Kraken still the best AIO?

I'm eyeing the Corsair H150i Elite Capellix AIO (360mm) as a potential replacement for my current H115i Platinum. I had a Kraken X62 awhile back. Wouldn't mind jumping back...but I do like having as much stuff as I can in one piece of software (icue) .

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My friend is a streamer and thinks his i5 7500 is bottlenecking him when it comes to streaming. He also has an Nvidia 980. He's looking to update both and asked me for a recommendation for a new CPU that is still LGA 1151. He is looking for a nice upgrade that doesn't break the bank, and I have 0 clue since I haven't rebuilt in ages. I'm assuming most i7s will be a jump up for him?
Your friend should get a 7700K from eBay, they can probably get one for around $250. That's the fastest CPU that will fit in that socket.