• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BlueKoi

Dec 30, 2017
Search to see if 4790 will be bottlenecked with 2060. I feel like it'll be fine. Is there value in it? That's strictly based on what you want out of games until the new build but I can't imagine trying to run any modern games on a 970 now, let alone 2 years from now.
Most of the recent big AAA games that I've played were on a console, so the 970 has been fine for playing older titles and smaller games on a 1080p monitor. I'm not that excited for the next-gen consoles, though, so I would like to be able to play some upcoming big releases (i.e. Cyberpunk) at higher settings and/or higher resolution than the 970 would allow. Seems like the bottlenecking wouldn't be too bad, so I'll keep an eye on 2060 prices relative to the others. Thanks for the input!

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
I'm still running the GTX970 (with a Ryzen 3600) and it's totally fine for 1080p gaming. Not awesome framerates, and settings have to be lowered, but I played the entirety of Assassin's Creed Odyssey this way. And clearly an improvement over my 4670K with the same GPU. (Shipbreakers, in particular, suffers quite a bit, but I still put in 50+ hours)

I was so concerned about the parts that I forgot to account for the OS in my budget... >_< Can't transfer the license from my old Surface Pro 2, since I took advantage of the free upgrade from Windows 8. So, that'll set me back about an extra $100...

Note that a license is not absolutely required to run Windows. If you're fine with a nag here and there and the default wallpaper, it works. I think it restricts you to automatic updates and a few other things?

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I'm having a hell of a time deciding what M.2 SSD I want to go with for my build. My top pick is the 1TB Barracuda 510 but it's almost $165.

I'm trying to avoid going with any SATA drives, SSD or mechanical, or even more than one internal drive right now, as I'm trying for simplicity from the outset, so the "small boot SSD" and "large mechanical data drive" combo is out, especially since you can often get a SSD that has the combined storage of both for not much more.

There doesn't seem to be a solid middle ground. Either SSDs are too budget and missing features or "proper" and too expensive.

I guess I'm best waiting for a sale, but I need to get over my fear of buying a non-name brand I guess.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I'm having a hell of a time deciding what M.2 SSD I want to go with for my build. My top pick is the 1TB Barracuda 510 but it's almost $165.

I'm trying to avoid going with any SATA drives, SSD or mechanical, or even more than one internal drive right now, as I'm trying for simplicity from the outset, so the "small boot SSD" and "large mechanical data drive" combo is out, especially since you can often get a SSD that has the combined storage of both for not much more.

There doesn't seem to be a solid middle ground. Either SSDs are too budget and missing features or "proper" and too expensive.

I guess I'm best waiting for a sale, but I need to get over my fear of buying a non-name brand I guess.

Sabremt drives are 20% off on Amazon today. Get the 1TB PCI-E 4.0 Sabrent Rocket for $159

Amazon.com: Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen4 PCIe M.2 Internal SSD Extreme Performance Solid State Drive (SB-ROCKET-NVMe4-1TB): Computers & Accessories

Buy Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen4 PCIe M.2 Internal SSD Extreme Performance Solid State Drive (SB-ROCKET-NVMe4-1TB): Office Furniture & Lighting - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases

1TB PCI-E 3.0 is $119

The latter is probably the better deal unless your motherboard has a PCI-E 4.0 slot. And even then, 4.0 is still kinda new and 3.0 is still very good. I have the 4.0 drive in my build and it's pretty amazing, but I laid fill price last month.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Sabremt drives are 20% off on Amazon today. Get the 1TB PCI-E 4.0 Sabrent Rocket for $159

Amazon.com: Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen4 PCIe M.2 Internal SSD Extreme Performance Solid State Drive (SB-ROCKET-NVMe4-1TB): Computers & Accessories

Buy Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen4 PCIe M.2 Internal SSD Extreme Performance Solid State Drive (SB-ROCKET-NVMe4-1TB): Office Furniture & Lighting - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases

1TB PCI-E 3.0 is $119

The latter is probably the better deal unless your motherboard has a PCI-E 4.0 slot. And even then, 4.0 is still kinda new and 3.0 is still very good. I have the 4.0 drive in my build and it's pretty amazing, but I laid fill price last month.

The B550 board I picked out does have a 4.0 slot but it's probably hella overkill and I likely wouldn't be able to tell the difference between 3.0 and 4.0.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
The B550 board I picked out does have a 4.0 slot but it's probably hella overkill and I likely wouldn't be able to tell the difference between 3.0 and 4.0.

Go with the 3.0, 2TB is $229! Lowest I've ever seen for Sabrent Rockets. They're highly regarded as one of the higher tier NVMe drives.

If you want to read up on SSDs and NVMe drives check out this post of mine:

www.resetera.com

Small SSD Crash Course for Console Owners

SSD Guide anyone? NewMaxx is king of SSD guides The Basics https://www.cnet.com/how-to/digital-storage-basics-part-1-internal-storage-vs-memory/ https://www.cnet.com/how-to/digital-storage-basics-part-4-ssd-explained/ More In-depth Information + Buying Guide...

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

1TB PCI-E 3.0 is $119

That's Sabrent Rocket is pretty tempting.. wish the 2TB was on sale as well

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
That's Sabrent Rocket is pretty tempting.. wish the 2TB was on sale as well

Rocket 1/2TB (black label): The fast, fullspeed PCIe 4.0 card
Rocket Q (white label): Much slower, but still Gen 4 for some reason

With the coupon at checkout being so huge, the discount on Rocket 1/2 is pretty great...almost tempted to order a 2TB model myself...

eEK!

Dec 25, 2018
Close to building. Just need the most important parts. Waiting on CPU probably AMD 4900X , MB 670X/570X/B550 and a GPU 3080 / 3090.

PC.jpg

System Builder

I'm so used to seeing this pictures with ATX parts, that I thought you'd bought a colossal AIO.....

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
When I finally, finally have disposable income again I'm considering:

1TB M2 SSD (OS and programs)
2TB Standard SSD (documents, 3D renders, edited video etc)
32 core threadripper
64 GB DDR4 RAM
RTX3080

Thoughts? Advice? I'm using this for video editing and Blender work alongside gaming.

Oct 29, 2017

32 core threadripper
64 GB DDR4 RAM
RTX3080

Thoughts? Advice? I'm using this for video editing and Blender work alongside gaming.
What video editing software? I think for the most common ones like Premier and Resolve there isn't a huge advantage going for the 3970X over the 24 core 3960X.

Personally I m planning a workstation for After Effects and Cinema 4D + Octane (GPU rendering) and going for the 3960X unless AMD unveils something better with Zen 3 and I may just forget about HEDT extra lanes.

That said if you use your CPU for 3D rendering, then yeah, every single one of those cores will be put to use.

DreamRunner

Banned
Sep 14, 2020
Hello, I want to buy prebuilt PC rig and I was wondering which of these 2 is better :
www.scan.co.uk

3XS RTX Studio Pro G120C

Buy from Scan - 3XS RTX Studio Pro G120C, Intel Core i9 10900K, 32GB DDR4, 10GB NVIDIA RTX 3080, 1TB M.2 SSD, 2TB HDD, Win 10 Pro

or this one

www.scan.co.uk

High End Gaming PC with NVIDIA Ampere GeForce RTX 3080 and Intel Core i9 10850K

Buy from Scan - 3XS Vengeance X8, Intel Core i9 10850K, 32GB DDR4, 10GB NVIDIA RTX 3080, 2TB M.2 SSD, Win 10

I might wait till AMD reveals their CPUs though.
Anyone?

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
New to PC gaming and was wondering if it was possible to upgrade my mobo without replacing the CPU? Was thinking of going from a Z390 to a mobo with PCI 4

ara

Oct 26, 2017
How big (or small) is the Phanteks P400A exactly? I'm having a hard time actually reconciling the numbers with reality. Is it much smaller than my current Fractal R5? Is it big enough if I'm planning on getting an MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio and a nice, quiet Noctua cooler for the CPU (undecided which yet, since I'm undecided on the CPU too) or should I be looking at a bigger case? If so, what's a good, big mesh case? Budget isn't really an issue, and neither is space.

Oct 25, 2017
Should I buy Sabrent SSDs now on this DOTD, or wait for Black Friday? Not building a PC until I get my hands on a 3080 + a Zen 3 CPU, which I'm thinking may not be until like November at the rate they are selling.

Thinking of buying a NVMe 4.0 1TB 5000MB/s ($160): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TLYWMYW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2ELBRY1PH9SPX&psc=1

Or a NVMe 3.0 2TB 3400MB/s ($230): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MTQTNVR/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A2ELBRY1PH9SPX&psc=1

Also is there any drawback to having two M.2 NVMe SSDs? The mobo I was looking at was the ASUS ROG Strix B550-F.

Last edited:

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
New to PC gaming and was wondering if it was possible to upgrade my mobo without replacing the CPU? Was thinking of going from a Z390 to a mobo with PCI 4
Doesn't work like that, the CPU doesn't support PCIe 4.0 or even fit
How big (or small) is the Phanteks P400A exactly? I'm having a hard time actually reconciling the numbers with reality. Is it much smaller than my current Fractal R5? Is it big enough if I'm planning on getting an MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio and a nice, quiet Noctua cooler for the CPU (undecided which yet, since I'm undecided on the CPU too) or should I be looking at a bigger case? If so, what's a good, big mesh case? Budget isn't really an issue, and neither is space.
taller but slimmer, and lancool mesh II

ara

Oct 26, 2017
taller but slimmer, and lancool mesh II

Cool, maybe I'll opt for the Lancool II Mesh after all. I should really just purchase either of those and the Noctua case fans so I can stop second guessing myself already. I'm probably way overthinking the case/fan/cooling situation here.

Also, I'm surprised how much better Intel CPUs still are for pure gaming (which is what I'm interested in). I obviously haven't been following the trends and benchmarks in years now, but for some reason I was under the impression that Ryzen CPUs are easily the best pick nowadays for gaming. Gonna be interesting to see what the best pick in the 300-ish euro category is in a few months.

Last edited:

vhyn

Nov 13, 2017

32 core threadripper
64 GB DDR4 RAM
RTX3080

Thats pretty much my new build, except for 128gb DDR4, I dont think the 3970x will be much of an improvement in video editing but for 3D its a perfect machine.

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Should I buy Sabrent SSDs now on this DOTD, or wait for Black Friday? Not building a PC until I get my hands on a 3080 + a Zen 3 CPU, which I'm thinking may not be until like November at the rate they are selling.

Thinking of buying a NVMe 4.0 1TB 5000MB/s ($160): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TLYWMYW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2ELBRY1PH9SPX&psc=1

Or a NVMe 3.0 2TB 3400MB/s ($230): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MTQTNVR/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A2ELBRY1PH9SPX&psc=1

Also is there any drawback to having two M.2 NVMe SSDs? The mobo I was looking at was the ASUS ROG Strix B550-F.

Honestly, I think the deal on the Sabrent Rocket Gen3 is superb. That's a hell of a price for 2TB and Gen4 is both significantly more expensive and not likely to show you any benefit for the near future. (It's even cheaper than my ADATA SX8200 Pro was in March...)

I think the Gen 4 deal is tempting (though when I clicked the coupon ended?) but I'm holding out for second-gen PCIe 4.0 drives which should improve from 5000MB/s to 7000MB/s+ (the "PS5 zone").

There is no drawback to having two M.2 drives. I believe some motherboards may disable a SATA Port or (more rarely) your bottom PCIe slot, but they can't affect your graphics card or disable USB ports or anything. And if you want even more M.2 later, you can always buy PCIe cards (cheap) that have M.2 slots on them...

I am sorry I don't understand, if I wanted to change my motherboard I would have to change all innards too? My CPU is a i9 9900, it doesn't support PCIe 4.0 mobos?

Intel hasn't shipped a motherboard yet with PCIe 4.0. Only AMD has motherboards that support it (this year) and the motherboards for AMD/Intel are separate beasts, so you are basically stuck at PCIe 3.0 unless you were to buy a brand new motherboard AND CPU. That being said, PCIe is backwards compatible. So if you absolutely had to buy a PCIe 4.0 product it will work just fine at 3.0 speeds. But if you want Gen4 on Intel, wait for next year.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
My original intent was to drop in two 512GB M.2 SSDs on my motherboard and set them up as RAID 0 either in Windows 10 Storage Spaces feature or through the BIOS of the motherboard, (Not as a performance measure, just to combine two drives into one large volume.) but it turns out that 1TB SSDs are just more cost effective.

I'll probably leave that as an upgrade path and drop in a second 1TB drive in a few years should I somehow overflow the 1TB I put in there to begin with.

Noticed this guy on Best Buy's "Deal of the Day" page for $109. Gonna have to do a bit of research: XPG - SX8200 Series 1TB Internal PCIe Express 3.0 Gen3x4 M.2 2280 Solid State Drive with Flash 3D Nand Technology

Edit: Must be an old model, it's no longer listed on XPG's site. Hmm.

Last edited:

Fumpster

Nov 4, 2017
Does anyone here have any recommendations on a good ergonomic/vertical mouse? My current one is about to crap out and I'm willing to invest in something really good that'll be comfortable enough for both work and gaming. No particular price limit, but if it helps I'm in Canada and am down for some good deals.

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My original intent was to drop in two 512GB M.2 SSDs on my motherboard and set them up as RAID 0 either in Windows 10 Storage Spaces feature or through the BIOS of the motherboard, (Not as a performance measure, just to combine two drives into one large volume.) but it turns out that 1TB SSDs are just more cost effective.

I'll probably leave that as an upgrade path and drop in a second 1TB drive in a few years should I somehow overflow the 1TB I put in there to begin with.

Noticed this guy on Best Buy's "Deal of the Day" page for $109. Gonna have to do a bit of research: XPG - SX8200 Series 1TB Internal PCIe Express 3.0 Gen3x4 M.2 2280 Solid State Drive with Flash 3D Nand Technology

Edit: Must be an old model, it's no longer listed on XPG's site. Hmm.
This is a great deal, it's just as good as the Barracuda 510 you want. If you go on r/buildapcsales you can see a lot of people recommend it. It's on the XPG website too, you just have to scroll down as it isn't in order for some reason. Check out the SSD tier list as well: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1092033-ssd-tier-list/

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like NDAs for the 980 Pro dropped today. 210€ MSRP apparently. Actually not too bad?
PCGH review (DE): https://www.pcgameshardware.de/SSD-Hardware-255552/Tests/Samsung-SSD-980-Pro-Test-1358542/
Computerbase (DE): https://www.computerbase.de/2020-09/samsung-980-pro-ssd-test/

Up on Amazon https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B08GS7748F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
(and other German sellers, but can't be ordered there yet)

Cyberport for 205 shipped, currently cheapest I think: https://www.cyberport.de/pc-und-zub...me-ssd-1-tb-m-2-2280-pcie-4-0-v-nand-mlc.html

Last edited:

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
Man, I don't know if I should get the Sabrent 4.0 now or wait a bit... I'm only gonna build after the 3070 is out and available (and could be a bit longer depending on what AMD has to show) - So there's no rush, and I might be able to find a better deal on Black Friday or something? D:
One thing I hate about building a PC is the constant state of fomo. Ugh.

Senjuro

Oct 10, 2019
Seems like NDAs for the 980 Pro dropped today. 210€ MSRP apparently. Actually not too bad?
PCGH review (DE): https://www.pcgameshardware.de/SSD-Hardware-255552/Tests/Samsung-SSD-980-Pro-Test-1358542/
Computerbase (DE): https://www.computerbase.de/2020-09/samsung-980-pro-ssd-test/

Up on Amazon https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B08GS7748F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
(and other German sellers, but can't be ordered there yet)
About damn time. Are there any competitors on the horizon besides the Sabrent Rocket Plus?

Favio Bolo

Banned
Aug 17, 2020
hi, first post here
i need to replace my old pc and my taget was for something in the 800$ range ( i'm in eu but let's use $)
now, i'm a total noob on this and i came up with something like that (please don't laught at me)
https://newegg.io/2dcbb08
but i i can push it to 1000 - 1200$ so i guess i can change some components
my target would be something that can do high end 1080p or possibly 1440P?
for the storage i already have 2 other hdd so i'm fine with one 500gb ssd

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Looking through the manual for the motherboard I'm picking up. So many settings there I assume I'm leaving on "auto."

Anyone familiar with ASRock's "Fan-tastic" and "Fantuning" options in the BIOS?

Do I need to try to work out fan curve or can I just set things on 'standard" and leave it be? (Options are "Silent", "Standard", and "Performance")

How does one even know what to set a fan curve at?

Oct 29, 2017
hi, first post here
i need to replace my old pc and my taget was for something in the 800$ range ( i'm in eu but let's use $)
now, i'm a total noob on this and i came up with something like that (please don't laught at me)
https://newegg.io/2dcbb08
but i i can push it to 1000 - 1200$ so i guess i can change some components
my target would be something that can do high end 1080p or possibly 1440P?
for the storage i already have 2 other hdd so i'm fine with one 500gb ssd
The B450 board you chose should work for your r5 3600, but there are some B550 boards that may be around the same price in your territory, if you want to be a bit more safe in case some day you upgrade your nvme to PCIe 4, or your CPU to Zen 3. GIGABYTE B550M DS3H (the one that may be the same price), or MSI PRO B550M PRO-VDH WIFI (more expensive, comes with Wifi).

If you are willing push it to $1000 I would say, go for a Radeon 5700xt or a RTX 2060 Super, which would be better cards for 1440p (maybe a used higher RTX 2070 or 2080 card if someone is selling theirs for a decent price around you).

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Looking through the manual for the motherboard I'm picking up. So many settings there I assume I'm leaving on "auto."

Anyone familiar with ASRock's "Fan-tastic" and "Fantuning" options in the BIOS?

Do I need to try to work out fan curve or can I just set things on 'standard" and leave it be? (Options are "Silent", "Standard", and "Performance")

How does one even know what to set a fan curve at?

You just enable whichever preset and monitor for temps and noise when the computer is idle and on load, then adjust as needed. You could probably try "performance" first and see what the noise levels are like and if they're totally fine leave it on that to (presumably) keep your temps a little lower. If you want as quiet as possible try silent and see how hot you get. Usually standard settings are fine.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
updated pic after seeing Nooblet 's pics and being cable shamed :P

EC796398-575-A-4168-A83-A-7-F5-E52-D21-AC2.jpg

Actually surprised you can see the cables in the basement through the side mesh.. can't see them normally. And will replace the Noctua fans as soon as they release their chromax versions next year.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
updated pic after seeing Nooblet 's pics and being cable shamed :P

EC796398-575-A-4168-A83-A-7-F5-E52-D21-AC2.jpg

Actually surprised you can see the cables in the basement through the side mesh.. can't see them normally. And will replace the Noctua fans as soon as they release their chromax versions next year.

What is that glass thing with the Geforce text on it?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
What case are you rocking?

Lancool 2 mesh RGB - decent airflow the but the fans aren't as quiet as I'd like. Enough for now. Nice case - first one I've built in that has a whole area where you dump the cables. I've had two before this - one ITX where everything just goes everywhere, and a really old ATX case in the olden days where its just a big open space

Full spec : 3900x, 32GB 3600/CL16, WD550 1TB Nvme for boot/games, 1TB Samsung SSD for more games, Palit 3080, Noctua U12A cooler, MSI gaming edge wifi B550 MB, couple of bequiet fans in the back, Lian li strimer plus rgb cables for 24 pin and PCIe, Corsair RM750 PSU.