• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
No problems, but the better choice would be buying a somewhat competent gaming card used (virtually anything released in the past 10+ years, that at time of release cost 120€ or more, will be faster). I'm certain there are more than enough choices on the used market that cost significantly less than a GT710, that's basically a card to get video out, but nothing beyond that.

Awesome! If you don't want to dig too far into this I totally understand but would you have any suggestions on cards or series I could start looking for? This is my first new PC in like 8 years so I wasn't really paying attention to parts before like 2 months ago.

Oct 27, 2017

Mini-Me

Oct 25, 2017
So I will soon have a 1080ti lying around serving no purpose (will be getting the 3080). Something I have been considering doing with the old 1080ti is building a basic second PC for video recording purposes. I do a lot of Youtube work and currently get by just fine on a single GPU setup using the very good NVENC encoder in OBS but there are some tempting benefits to having a second PC doing the leg work, even if the encoders now are quite efficient and a 1080ti standalone is overkill.

I think I am just looking for someone to bounce this idea off of. What sort of CPU/MOBO/RAM combo is needed for this theoretical second PC where the GPU is the encoder and not the CPU (aka not doing x64 encodes)? I know it doesn't need to be much at all if I am sticking with NVENC encoding. I've just been mulling the idea over in my head for a little while now and can't quite seem to find the right approach to it. It feels weird to have a 1080ti just sitting around but it also feels weird to want to build a secondary PC when... I don't really need to. The 3080 coming in cheaper than expected has left a hole burning in my pocket with extra cash. I could just throw a 9900k into my main PC instead. Or do nothing at all. I dunno!

( For reference this is my current PC which is treating me very well current for all the recording while gaming and post-production editing needs https://pcpartpicker.com/user/therealminime/saved/#view=XHPfvK )

Oct 25, 2017
Should be fine. Check out the Lian Li Lancool II mesh case.

thank you! is this the one?

www.pccasegear.com

Buy Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance Case [LANTWO-MESH] | PC Case Gear Australia

Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance Case available to buy online from PC Case Gear – Australia’s Premier Online PC Store.

i dont know much about cases-will this leave ample room for everything with plenty of airflow? i am also using a noctua nh-d15 if that helps knowing how much space i will need :)

Plum

May 31, 2018
OK so I've decided as to what I'm going to do. Finally.

I'm going to be buying the Fractal Design Mini C and a Corsair RM750x PSU.

81hgDeipKdL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Why?
- Having a bigger case to work in - with a PSU shroud - will just make my life easier in general, even if I don't upgrade that frequently
- It gives me room to use mATX motherboards as well as ITX ones, which will be nice in the future when AM4 is no longer supported
- There's fewer worries over PSUs as I can now use ATX ones without worrying about it choking my GPU
- It isn't too big
- I just like the look of it lol

Anyone got any objections before I go ahead with it? Again thanks for the help, everyone, and especially the suggestion to just move to a slightly bigger mATX case instead of trying for a full-sized ATX one.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
How much you guys think I can sell a 2080TI for when the 3080 comes out? I just bought it for 1200 😭 and I feel like the resell price has just got ducking shattered!!! Would it be worth it to pick up a 3080 compared to a 2080TI?

Oct 27, 2017
thank you! is this the one?

www.pccasegear.com

Buy Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance Case [LANTWO-MESH] | PC Case Gear Australia

Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance Case available to buy online from PC Case Gear – Australia’s Premier Online PC Store.

i dont know much about cases-will this leave ample room for everything with plenty of airflow? i am also using a noctua nh-d15 if that helps knowing how much space i will need :)

Yep, that's the one! Hardware Canucks, Tom's Hardware and Gamers Nexus approved.

hardwarecanucks.com

Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Case Review - Air Cooling PERFECTION

The Lian Li Lancool II Mesh case is the airflow focused follow up to the original Lancool 2. This might be one of the best gaming cases of 2020

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
3700x will have you in a good spot for years.

Ok thanks. What is a well recommended motherboard for it?

How much you guys think I can sell a 2080TI for when the 3080 comes out? I just bought it for 1200 😭 and I feel like the resell price has just got ducking shattered!!! Would it be worth it to pick up a 3080 compared to a 2080TI?

I got my 2080ti less than a year ago for $1100. Looks like the 3080 will be a worthy upgrade if you play on a 4K display.

Oct 27, 2017

I sold mine last month for $950. Back in February I sold my 1080 Ti for $450. They hold their value pretty well.

PhantomFFR

Oct 25, 2017
Vienna, Austria, EU, Earth
OK so I've decided as to what I'm going to do. Finally.

I'm going to be buying the Fractal Design Mini C and a Corsair RM750x PSU.

It's fine, but the Meshify Mini C would offer better airflow and is slightly more compact. Then again, due to the more open nature, while the fans might have to spin a bit faster, it still might be a bit more silent. But I have to mention again, I'd just wait and see whether my current parts are sufficient.

Awesome! If you don't want to dig too far into this I totally understand but would you have any suggestions on cards or series I could start looking for? This is my first new PC in like 8 years so I wasn't really paying attention to parts before like 2 months ago.

As a rough, but good enough guide use the "Legacy GPU Hierarchy" here (THG). Perhaps a Radeon 7850/R9 285/Geforce GTX580/670 as a lower end base line would still offer playable frame rates, is unlikely to lose value, should be around 25 € used, is still somewhat recent and completely blows a 710 (probably around tier 20 on the THG hierarchy) out of the water. Then again they also use more power and need active cooling, but as mentioned, you'd actually get something that would allow you to play games in the interim.

The value should be below the RTX3070, in reality there's a good chance, just due to the name and former standing as the top card, that it will stay well above that. But your best course of action, if you can't return it, is probably to try to find someone, who needs that kind of GPU right now.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
51qqSJDHHtL._SY300_QL70_.jpg

ive had this in storage for a long time and never used it. Tried to sell it and now with todays news its gonna be built. I think im gonna use EATX unless that's just dumb. Its got room for anything.

Plum

May 31, 2018
It's fine, but the Meshify Mini C would offer better airflow and is slightly more compact. Then again, due to the more open nature, while the fans might have to spin a bit faster, it still might be a bit more silent. But I have to mention again, I'd just wait and see whether my current parts are sufficient.

I did think about that but as I won't be overclocking all that much I'm fine with things being a bit hotter if it means things are quieter overall. My current Nano S build is perfectly fine in that regard as well. Sure, my CPU idles at a fairly high temperature but at load both it and my GPU rarely reach above 70c. It's not really something I'm too worried about tbh.

I'm fine not bothering to wait and see because, at the end of the day, I'd have to upgrade some day; might as well be now. It's an extra £200 for a case and PSU that I'll be fine using for at least a few years to come, and that's perfectly fine by me tbh.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Sweet thanks for the tips guys 🙏 I'll probably wait until the 3080 comes out and then I'll try to sell my 2080TI for 600 but will drop to 500 or 450 if I have to but won't go below that. Won't be getting the Xbox so I might as well upgrade my GPU instead 😂

Edit: Also if anyone has a sec would they mind checking my specs and seeing if it would run a 3080? I'm pretty sure it will but I'm not to good with motherboards or power supplies if you could check those 🙂

My parts

PhantomFFR

Oct 25, 2017
Vienna, Austria, EU, Earth
Sweet thanks for the tips guys 🙏 I'll probably wait until the 3080 comes out and then I'll try to sell my 2080TI for 600 but will drop to 500 or 450 if I have to but won't go below that. Won't be getting the Xbox so I might as well upgrade my GPU instead 😂

Edit: Also if anyone has a sec would they mind checking my specs and seeing if it would run a 3080? I'm pretty sure it will but I'm not to good with motherboards or power supplies if you could check those 🙂

My parts

Yes, your specs are fine. But a third alternative... keep your 2080Ti, unless you can basically sell it for the same price, a new 3080 would cost you. It's not impossible for that to work out.

mdf/markus

Oct 30, 2017
So, about my good old i7 4790k ...

It's been one of my favorite CPUs all-time and a reliable companion all those years. But with the new RTXs I feel like it may has reached its limits.
The thing is that for my usage case (1440p @120hz GSync; no problem with running high settings instead of ultra in really demanding games) I wonder if I should go with a 3070 or 3080 right now and try to sell my 2060. Or if I should wait for another year and get a whole new system alltogether.

Basically it's the old bottleneck question with those good ol 4c/8t i7s ... What would you do?

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
As a rough, but good enough guide use the "Legacy GPU Hierarchy" here (THG). Perhaps a Radeon 7850/R9 285/Geforce GTX580/670 as a lower end base line would still offer playable frame rates, is unlikely to lose value, should be around 25 € used, is still somewhat recent and completely blows a 710 (probably around tier 20 on the THG hierarchy) out of the water. Then again they also use more power and need active cooling, but as mentioned, you'd actually get something that would allow you to play games in the interim.

I really appreciate the help. I'll fire up the old ebay and see if something pops up.

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
I also agree that Ryzen 4000 this year is not a reason to completely hold on AMD. There will be a performance improvement but X86 is not like GPUs, they won't be offering a huge table-offering deal. It's just going to be a solid, reasonable increase. So I think I'm more interested in waiting at the high end - 10+cores where speed truly matters as opposed to ignoring a true bargain right now like the R3600.

So, about my good old i7 4790k ...

It's been one of my favorite CPUs all-time and a reliable companion all those years. But with the new RTXs I feel like it may has reached its limits.
The thing is that for my usage case (1440p @120hz GSync; no problem with running high settings instead of ultra in really demanding games) I wonder if I should go with a 3070 or 3080 right now and try to sell my 2060. Or if I should wait for another year and get a whole new system alltogether.

Basically it's the old bottleneck question with those good ol 4c/8t i7s ... What would you do?

I went from GTX970+4670K > GTX970+R3600 and there was a noticeable improvement as is. I think if you bought a 3070 the Intel 4x series would just be too aged and significantly hold you back. Sure, it would be faster* but 4790K+2060 is a much more balanced system that will cost you zero dollars.

mdf/markus

Oct 30, 2017
I went from GTX970+4670K > GTX970+R3600 and there was a noticeable improvement as is. I think if you bought a 3070 the Intel 4x series would just be too aged and significantly hold you back. Sure, it would be faster* but 4790K+2060 is a much more balanced system that will cost you zero dollars.

Thanks. The balanced aspect is a good one!

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the process of building a SFF PC with a lot of the components already picked up and now I've decided to wait for 3070 as it's within my GPU budget.I have a couple of questions.

M.2 NVME: I picked up an WD SN550 1TB M2.NVME recently for less than $100 and was intending on using it as my only form of storage since transfer speeds of SSD's only matter currently with large file transfers (loading times you shave maybe 1-2 seconds depending on the application). However, I keep reading on reddit that any M.2 SSD without DRAM should not be used to store OS. Why is that? Are they right? Should I pick up another SSD?

CPU: 3070 dropped today. It's in my budget range. I want. But I also want to build my PC by mid September. If I were to assemble then, what would be a good target Ryzen CPU for me to pick for gaming primarily? I already bought a B550 board. I was thinking about getting a 3600 for $150 but that ship has sailed and I don't want it to bottleneck the 3070. Would a 3700x suffice?

sorry for the repost...hoping to get an answer in regards to this.

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
sorry for the repost...hoping to get an answer in regards to this.

DRAMless drives are not ideal, especially for the OS, but it's not the end of the world. It's still basically faster than a hard drive. I think you should keep it.

Yes, a 3700X is fine for the 3070. Honestly I'm going to roll a 3080 with my Ryzen 3600 for awhile though...just remember: Ryzen doesn't have built in GPUs so you need some kind of card in the meantime if you want an operational computer.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Are there any PSU's that have the new Nvidia 12-pin cable as part of it so that an adapter isn't needed? Does this cable even have an official name?

I have an 650 watt PSU and plan on getting the RTX 3080 to go with my 8700k system.

FreezerGeezer

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Are there any Socket 1151 boards with PCIE 4.0?

Most of my PC build is only a couple years old, except the GPU which is a 970. Going to be upgrading to a 3080 when they launch later this month.

The current CPU - i7 8700k
The current Mobo - Asrock Z370 Extreme Mobo

I noticed talk of PCIE 4 probably being the way to go for the 3080. Is there a mobo that is compatible that has PCIE 4? Been looking through 1151 boards on my local store website and struggling to see any. Does that mean I'd need a new CPU too if I get a board with 4.0?

Thanks!

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
DRAMless drives are not ideal, especially for the OS, but it's not the end of the world. It's still basically faster than a hard drive. I think you should keep it.

Yes, a 3700X is fine for the 3070. Honestly I'm going to roll a 3080 with my Ryzen 3600 for awhile though...just remember: Ryzen doesn't have built in GPUs so you need some kind of card in the meantime if you want an operational computer.

thanks! I know this might be a bad idea...but I'm thinking of just temporarily using my 5850 until the 3070 comes out...It'll be interesting to see how an 11 year old GPUs bottlenecks the processor

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Are there any PSU's that have the new Nvidia 12-pin cable as part of it so that an adapter isn't needed?

Nope. The cards will come with adapters, obviously, so you don't need to buy one. In theory vendors can sell 8+8pin>12 pin modular replacement cables for their power supplies but apart from a Seasonic rumor I haven't seen anything yet.

Deleted member 51957

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
So. I got an Ultrawide monitor primarily for productivity (being able to have an IDE, slack, iTerm, and a web browser on one screen is amazing). But I'm a little confused on how this corresponds to games. My 970 can't drive games at this resolution (3840x1600) so I'm assuming I can just run them at like 1920x800 and have them scale evenly (or is there a better way to do this sort of scaling?)

I'm also a little hazy on Gsync. My understanding is I leave Gsync enabled for full screen and then turn vsync off in game. But since the monitor is so huge, how does that work for times when I want to play something like Rocket League in 1080p on one half of the monitor, and have a video playing on the other half? Is this a 'game-by-game' thing, or is there a general rule of thumb here ?

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
So. I got an Ultrawide monitor primarily for productivity (being able to have an IDE, slack, iTerm, and a web browser on one screen is amazing). But I'm a little confused on how this corresponds to games. My 970 can't drive games at this resolution (3840x1600) so I'm assuming I can just run them at like 1920x800 and have them scale evenly (or is there a better way to do this sort of scaling?)

I'm also a little hazy on Gsync. My understanding is I leave Gsync enabled for full screen and then turn vsync off in game. But since the monitor is so huge, how does that work for times when I want to play something like Rocket League in 1080p on one half of the monitor, and have a video playing on the other half? Is this a 'game-by-game' thing, or is there a general rule of thumb here ?

If you have an RTX20 series there is a setting for integer scaling (so perfect 2:1) but otherwise you can just set whatever resolution you want and your monitor will attempt to scale. 2:1 should look great, but might* be slightly blurry based on how the monitor scales it up. It should just "do" 2:1 but monitors just sometimes have their own quirks. Really depends on the monitor tech and also how close you sit. But for example I play 1080p on a 1440p monitor all the time (so, not integer scale) and sure, a little blurry but still looks great.

As I understand it G-Sync window mode is a bit of a hack and is kinda spotty. (Also, not sure if G-Sync window mode is only for monitors with G-Sync chips?)

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
With the nVidia announcement and looking like the AIB cards aren't far behind if not coming at the same time, I'm getting this shit started y'all

2bck6u.png

1lpkcm.png

35ikox.png

azfaru

Dec 1, 2017
Question: Will a Ryzen 5 3600 be a bott

Since you're on the topic... do you think Ryzen 3600 will be much of a bottleneck for the 3080. Thinking of doing the same as you.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Gonna go out tomorrow and pick up a Razer Keyboard.

Currently i have some $20 RGB amazon one from like 3 or 4 years ago. Time to upgrade and the Chroma software got my eye.

should i get the Cynoza Pro or the Ornata chroma V2 ?

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
Hey ! So I'm shopping around for a 1TB ssd. I was thinking of getting an m2 ssd. Is it worth it to go for NVME considering I'll mostly be using it for gaming applications ? Does it bring any real benefits over a regular m2 sata. Also, is m2 sata more expensive than regular 2.5 inch SSDs? Thanks!

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
I would love some advice. The GPU news today has pushed me towards making a drastic change - not getting the XSX and instead upgrading my video card/PC and getting a PS5. I would like to upgrade my system just enough to make sure I am looking at steady 4k60 and/or 1440k120. I am concerned about cooling and case size.
CURRENT SPECS:
AMD Ryzen 3600X with stock cooler.
ASRock B450M4 PRO motherboard
32GB CAS16 DDR43600 RAM.
1TB Crucial MX500 games SSD.
Rosewill CAPSTONE 850M 850W Modular Power Supply (80 PLUS GOLD Certified)
Phanteks Eclipse MidTower ATX
MSI 2070 Founders

I would like to get either the 3070 or 3080. My preference is to not upgrade the CPU but would consider it. I am also considering a NVME drive if it will be drastically faster - and I think I might need a slightly larger case but still have a requirement to stay mid-tower. Presuming my primary concern is upgrading my video card, I would love some advice on if there is anything else that can and should be upgraded to go along with the video card to achieve my goal of stable 4k60 or 1440p120.

Thanks!!
Replying for a quick bump and to also ask: will we need a PCI 4.0 motherboard for the 3800? Should I get something better than the B450?

Thanks!

Oct 29, 2017
Replying for a quick bump and to also ask: will we need a PCI 4.0 motherboard for the 3800? Should I get something better than the B450?

Thanks!
All the new cards are backwards compatible with pcie gen 3, whether there will be a bottleneck is not something that we can answer yet. But I would expect the 3080 to do fine on gen 3. So far the only performance tests of any sort that we have seen are the video by Digital Foundry and the increased performance they were getting was on gen 3.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
There are intel bulds in the OP. There are AMD builds in the OP. There isn't much in the way of recommendations which direction to take.

If you remove budget as a barrier - and if the 90%/primary use is gaming - is Ryzen still recommeded? Intel still seems to get higher performance in games with fewer threads. But 'future' games that might be more threaded, and PCIe4 is one thing to consider for Ryzen - but they're both what-ifs right now