• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 9207

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd be against swapping out the AM3 board for anything, as the FX-8350 will constrain non-esports titles under 60 FPS even with a fire breathing overclock. Something like this $370 USD build with a 3100/3300X/2xxx 8 core if there's any deals on them, 5600 XT/2060, and maybe faster RAM if there's anything left over with case and part reuse (note: AM3 and AM4 have the same CPU cooler mounting if they have a tower style cooler or anything bigger than stock) would give more FPS
There is nothing worth keeping and can keep in his old build, so he will have to build new.
Thanks for your answers.

Dynamic3

Oct 31, 2017
device manager, delete the adapter, restart computer?
or
device manager, delete the adapter, install new driver software, then restart computer?

Thanks guys.

I plugged in my old PC, built a table with the properties for the ethernet adapter, then did the same with my new PC, and flagged the differences. The Receive Buffers setting for my old PC was 512 whereas the new PC was 256...changed it to 512 and boom, 900+ down.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Good, because I just went with 3600 CL16 and I suddenly got worried 😟

3600 CL15 would be better because it would be Samsung B Die. I haven't looked lately but guessing the CL14 3200 is as well.

If you wanted to tinker and manually overclock the recommendation might be different but then it largely depends on your success there.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks guys.

I plugged in my old PC, built a table with the properties for the ethernet adapter, then did the same with my new PC, and flagged the differences. The Receive Buffers setting for my old PC was 512 whereas the new PC was 256...changed it to 512 and boom, 900+ down.
Glad you got it sorted.

PapaGoob

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
RIP bought a MSI Ventus 2080 super from Best Buy today and installed it. Turns out someone switched it out with a 2070 super instead.

I hope they don't try to blame it on me when I go back in the morning and demand a refund. Anyone ever run into this issue before?

So thankfully Best Buy refunded me the money without any issue. Went back right when they opened this morning.

I didn't notice it last night but after taking it out of my PC this morning before returning I was looking over the GPU and someone changed the backplate of the GPU as well. So it had the 2080 Super S/N and stuff on there. That had me really scared that Best Buy wouldn't refund me. Thankfully the PCB was identifiable as an RTX 2070 Super and Geek Squad also plugged it in and verified that it was the wrong card.

I was also able to snag a Founder's Edition of the 2080 Super from their website right before they sold out again. So overall I'm really happy with how things turned out. Just gotta wait until Tuesday for delivery!

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I'm planning to build my next computer once Ryzen 4000 and RTX 3060 is out, but I was thinking that I could start buying pieces so the investment is going "little by little"

I'm aiming towards the "$800 AMD" build, though I need to consider shipping and fees (buying them from Amazon so I get them here in Chile). Will wait to see if I go for a 4600 (assuming that's the name of the next Ryzen 5), or the 3600/3700x

Thinking about starting with a B550 and the DDR4 ram (my current PC is DDR3). I'll reuse the Case and fans, 2TB HDD, with the idea of buying a higher PSU and max 500gb nvme SSD (I'll then sell the current PC with a cheap case, the 450w psu and 128gb ssd + 500gb HDD I also have).

Is it already known if the B550 boards will also need a BIOS update when the Ryzen 4000 series launch? I'm looking at buying this B550M board https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089VY5WVM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I'm also considering these DDR4-3200 Ram, are they good enough? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0134EW7G8/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1

Has anyone done this thing of buying pieces over several months until the build is complete?

KimonoNoNo

Oct 26, 2017
The worry I have with buying a motherboard maybe months before a released cpu, is not being able to test whether your new MB is DOA and past any easy returns period.

Brandino

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Bought new parts today. This'll be the first time I've built a computer in 7 years. I'm coming from a gaming laptop with a 1070, and i7-7700HQ.

Specs:
AMD Ryzen 3900x
32GB pc-3200 RAM
X570 mi-itx mobo
EVGA 2070 Super*
NR200 case

* I know the 2070 Super probably isn't the best decision right now, but I'm hoping I can take advantage of EVGA's step up program when Ampere is released. Hopefully those cards are available by November 12th.

Building in a SFF form factor will be interesting too.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
So which is the best Z490 motherboard around $400? The three I'm looking at are the Asrock Z490 Taichi, MSI MEG Z490 Ace, and Asus Maximus XII Hero. I'm leaning towards the Taichi but was wondering if anyone would advise against it or have a different recommendation.
I ended up going with the Maximus XII Hero due to this list/ranking of the 1200 boards:

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Bought new parts today. This'll be the first time I've built a computer in 7 years. I'm coming from a gaming laptop with a 1070, and i7-7700HQ.

Specs:
AMD Ryzen 3900x
32GB pc-3200 RAM
X570 mi-itx mobo
EVGA 2070 Super*
NR200 case

* I know the 2070 Super probably isn't the best decision right now, but I'm hoping I can take advantage of EVGA's step up program when Ampere is released. Hopefully those cards are available by November 12th.

Building in a SFF form factor will be interesting too.

Join us here :)

www.resetera.com

Small Form Factor "Gaming" PC Thread (AKA HTPC) OT

Greetings Resetera, I have something to report. There is a lack of information regarding small form factor PC's on this forum and seemingly the internet at large despite me (and as I've noticed several others) having an interest in it. You can find scattered pockets of interested people all over...

Also, did you order your 2070 Super through EVGA's webstore? I posted an affiliate code in an earlier post that would get you 5% off on purchases from EVGA.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
So thankfully Best Buy refunded me the money without any issue. Went back right when they opened this morning.

I didn't notice it last night but after taking it out of my PC this morning before returning I was looking over the GPU and someone changed the backplate of the GPU as well. So it had the 2080 Super S/N and stuff on there. That had me really scared that Best Buy wouldn't refund me. Thankfully the PCB was identifiable as an RTX 2070 Super and Geek Squad also plugged it in and verified that it was the wrong card.

I was also able to snag a Founder's Edition of the 2080 Super from their website right before they sold out again. So overall I'm really happy with how things turned out. Just gotta wait until Tuesday for delivery!

that is such a weird situation. You would think somebody scamming the system would put in an older card than a 2070 super. All that effort, including risking getting a criminal record just for a 15% FPS upgrade. Man people are awful sometimes.

glad you got your stuff taken care of. Hopefully you get your founders edition soon and can get right into the gaming fun. It's such a good card.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys I need some help finding a keyboard for my couch gaming.

Basically I'd like to find a Tenkeyless keyboard that has normal key layout, backlight and ideally wireless tho I could live with wired.

TLDR: I want a Corsair K63 but I don't need mechanical and don't want to pay anywhere near that much.

I've looked online but couldn't really find anything checking all those boxes? There's plenty of compact and cheap keyboards on Amazon but they all have weird laptop style layout (compact arrow keys, smaller right shift and/or backspace, etc).

Anybody knows a model that could fill those needs? Thanks!

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Hey guys I need some help finding a keyboard for my couch gaming.

Basically I'd like to find a Tenkeyless keyboard that has normal key layout, backlight and ideally wireless tho I could live with wired.

TLDR: I want a Corsair K63 but I don't need mechanical and don't want to pay anywhere near that much.

I've looked online but couldn't really find anything checking all those boxes? There's plenty of compact and cheap keyboards on Amazon but they all have weird laptop style layout (compact arrow keys, smaller right shift and/or backspace, etc).

Anybody knows a model that could fill those needs? Thanks!

Maybe a Velocifire keyboard? A lot of the tenkeyless and 60% keyboards will use smaller spacebars, I have a Keychron K6 and really like it but you don't want mech, so...

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone have any suggestions for a good, reliable USB3 SSD for gaming purposes? My partner has a 128GB Surface that he's pretty much filled up with Starcraft II. He'd like to play some other games but really doesn't have the install space for it after that, so the only solution (aside from upgrading to new hardware) would be an external SSD, so figured I'd ask here for some suggestions. Thanks!

Thwomp

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
weird...built a new pc for a friend, installed a brand new nvme and a 1tb regular hdd, and reused an old ssd he had.

installed windows on the nvme and everything looked good until he powered it on this morning, now it says:

" WARNING: Please backup your data and replace your hard disk A failure may be imminent and cause unpredictable fail"

is the nvme doa or could it be the other drives?

HLEP!

yrcmlived

Jan 29, 2020
weird...built a new pc for a friend, installed a brand new nvme and a 1tb regular hdd, and reused an old ssd he had.

installed windows on the nvme and everything looked good until he powered it on this morning, now it says:

" WARNING: Please backup your data and replace your hard disk A failure may be imminent and cause unpredictable fail"

is the nvme doa or could it be the other drives?

HLEP!

check both smart data, on my asus is possibile check it via uefi in any case there are a lot of tool for it

Darkonda

May 23, 2018
My CPU runs 46C on idle, the core voltage is 1.440. Is that normal?

I just finished this build and just wondering if that's healthy...

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm not talking about temperature. It's simply that the way fans work is the speed is triggered by voltage. If the voltage is too low, the fan doesn't spin. If it's below the level the motherboard can see, it assumes it's unplugged. Make sure the CPU fan is plugged into the CPU_FAN header, maybe reseat it just in case.But it could be a weird glitch where it just stops seeing the fan...or the fan could be a dud.

Ive done that and I dont know. I turned off Ignore in the bios for the cpu fan and it doesnt seem to be happening anymore. Im monitoring it though and the temperature is definitely always low. Maybe its my power supply but ive been using that for a while with no problems.

On another note, i just realized my gtx 1080ti can get hot. Is there a cooling system for gtx 1080ti at all apart from the fans it came with.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Ive done that and I dont know. I turned off Ignore in the bios for the cpu fan and it doesnt seem to be happening anymore. Im monitoring it though and the temperature is definitely always low. Maybe its my power supply but ive been using that for a while with no problems.

On another note, i just realized my gtx 1080ti can get hot. Is there a cooling system for gtx 1080ti at all apart from the fans it came with.

Have you tried undervolting it? You can reduce temps by up to 7-10 degrees that way. And you could always get a water block for it if the temps are really high. It remove the fans and replace them with an Arctic Accelero fan setup, or even cable tie a pair of Noctua NF-A12x25 fans to the cards heat sink.

Deleted member 4353

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have you tried undervolting it? You can reduce temps by up to 7-10 degrees that way. And you could always get a water block for it if the temps are really high. It remove the fans and replace them with an Arctic Accelero fan setup, or even cable tie a pair of Noctua NF-A12x25 fans to the cards heat sink.

Whats undervolt?

Do you mean this?

Amazon.com: ARCTIC Accelero Xtreme IV - Graphics Card Cooler, High End VGA Cooler with 300 Watts Cooling Capactiy, three 92 mm PWM Fans: Computers & Accessories

Buy ARCTIC Accelero Xtreme IV - Graphics Card Cooler, High End VGA Cooler with 300 Watts Cooling Capactiy, three 92 mm PWM Fans: Everything Else - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases

So I can take off the casing of my graphics card?

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Whats undervolt?

Do you mean this?

Amazon.com: ARCTIC Accelero Xtreme IV - Graphics Card Cooler, High End VGA Cooler with 300 Watts Cooling Capactiy, three 92 mm PWM Fans: Computers & Accessories

Buy ARCTIC Accelero Xtreme IV - Graphics Card Cooler, High End VGA Cooler with 300 Watts Cooling Capactiy, three 92 mm PWM Fans: Everything Else - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases

Undervolting a GPU lowers the voltage it receives so it can run cooler; you can also add a mild overclock to it and it'll hit that clock speed at a lower voltage so you don't really lose any out on performance.

See here:

And if you wanted to install a waterblock or that Arctic Accelero system, you can remove the fan shroud and fans so you're pretty much left with the PCB and heat sink. I have no experience with this but there are guides on YouTube.

What are your temps when playing games or running benchmarks? And what's your case setup like? It's possible poor airflow in the case may be the issue, rather than the card's fans.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Whats undervolt?

Do you mean this?

Some additional context is needed. GPUs are designed to run hot, it's fine. They throttle performance based on a number of parameters including temperature and power consumption.

As long as the case airflow is good then you can probably achieve the temps you want by adjusting the fan curve, and as mentioned tweaking the voltage a bit. But it's also quite likely that the temp is fine as long as the card is performing properly.

Deleted member 4353

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Undervolting a GPU lowers the voltage it receives so it can run cooler; you can also add a mild overclock to it and it'll hit that clock speed at a lower voltage so you don't really lose any out on performance.

See here:

And if you wanted to install a waterblock or that Arctic Accelero system, you can remove the fan shroud and fans so you're pretty much left with the PCB and heat sink. I have no experience with this but there are guides on YouTube.

What are your temps when playing games or running benchmarks? And what's your case setup like? It's possible poor airflow in the case may be the issue, rather than the card's fans.

It went up to 95% I wasnt even gaming, just had Unity 3D opened up in a 3d scene. It just flared up randomly which was weird.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
It went up to 95% I wasnt even gaming, just had Unity 3D opened up in a 3d scene. It just flared up randomly which was weird.

When you say 95%, are you talking about your fan speed? That's normal because the fan is aggressively trying to cool down the GPU so it doesn't throttle. What was the actual temperature? FYI, you can always use MSI Afterburner to set a custom fan curve. For example, I have my fans at 80% speed at 75 degrees for my highest point on the curve, and 0% speed at 40 degrees at the lowest point.

Darkonda

May 23, 2018
You can't ask for help with a CPU and not disclose which CPU it is. I guess you can but nobody can help aside from telling you that idle temp doesn't matter.

My bad

I can tell it's a Ryzen and can also tell you that it's normal behavior.

giphy.gif

That seems fine, what is your CPU and cooling solution? I have a 6600K and use a Cooler Master Hyper 212 cooler and my idle temp is about the same.

3900X with an NH-D15.

Darkonda

May 23, 2018
oh boy. i just bought an NH-D15 to replace my weird AIO cooler that's seemingly not working like it should be even after reapplying thermal paste on my 3900x today (Zeyphersan). granted my idle is 10 to 15C higher than yours. would love your temps, frankly. it's arriving tuesday so fingers crossed.

It's been a while since I've built a PC and it's my first time on AMD I wasn't sure what were good temps and voltages. I'm also a little nervous about the amount of thermal paste I used and it was annoying trying to align and screw down the NH-D15 to the mobo, thought maybe I screwed up the spread. My last build had an i5-6600k that idled at 36C cooled by a Corsair H60.

Last edited:

AriesM4rch

Oct 27, 2017
Hey all. I've been looking to build/buy a PC since I'm passing on next gen for now, but I've heard that it's a bad time to build cause of the new CPUs/GPUs.
I'm trying to stay within the $1000-1500 range and mainly looking to play games at 1080p/60fps+ (don't care for 4k). Is it better to wait or build now?

May 30, 2018
It's been a while since I've built a PC and it's my first time on AMD I wasn't sure what were good temps and voltages. I'm also a little nervous about the amount of thermal paste I used and it was annoying trying to align and screw down the NH-D15 to the mobo, though maybe I screwed up the thread. My last build had an i5-6600k that idled at 36C cooled by a Corsair H60.
i think, thiiiiink based on what people in the discord support channel this week that the temps you're getting are pretty normal. but i'm by no means an expert and i'm sure more knowledgeable people will chime in.

also, briefly off topic - your username/avatar combo is rad as hell and very nostalgic. power rangers in space was the bomb.

Last edited:

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
Thinking of (finally) upgrading my almost 10 year old build. Going from an i7 2600k and a 1060 GTX 6GB that'll be making the jump with it to https://pcpartpicker.com/list/C46T27
Could swapping the motherboard for some of the good B550s like Asrock B550 Pro 4 or the Aorus Pro but it's not entirely necessary, just that the new B550s have settled down in price enough for most B450s to be irrelevant.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Could swapping the motherboard for some of the good B550s like Asrock B550 Pro 4 or the Aorus Pro but it's not entirely necessary, just that the new B550s have settled down in price enough for most B450s to be irrelevant.
Yeah, I could do that. Like I said I'm a decade out from my last full build, and going from intel to AMD so any suggestions are welcome.

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Yeah, I could do that. Like I said I'm a decade out from my last full build, and going from intel to AMD so any suggestions are welcome.

If you have a little more budget I would go to a Crucial P1 1TB SSD, but apart from that yeah, go B550 if you can. They seem to have substantially better VRMs than B450 and usually have more/newer features along with having a single PCIe gen4 slot. So I'd be more likely to take a cheap B550 like the Gigabyte B550 DS3H *if* it has the features you want. Ultimately with a motherboard it should be about having the features you want because they all perform pretty similarly.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
The DS3H like all the DS line of mobos have god awful VRM so I would just stay away from it, stuff from Asrock, MSI and Gigabyte's own Aorus line aren't that much more expensive (at or around MSRP, that is).

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
Eh?? I thought it reviewed pretty well on B550. Buildzoid seemed to think it was fine?
Not anything better than the DS line in the past, on a stock 3900X the VRM runs very, very hot (just a tad better than the atrocius Asus Prime B550-A) and the feature set is pretty damn terrible, only 3 fan headers including the CPU fan header (but full RGB headers for some reason...), no USB Type C front or back.