• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
OK guys looks like it's finally happening I'm going to be getting a new PC within the next four weeks.

So I need a recommendation and here are some specifics to help along:

Budget $1000 - $1500
CPU: AMD
GPU: AMD/Nvidia
Motherboard:. Must full size Motherboard with PCIe 5.0
Games Resolution: 1440p
Refresh Rate: 60 Hz
RGB: Don't care for it
Liquid Cooling: Not interested
Overclocking: I don't intent to do any
PC Case: Meh whatever as long as it fits the Motherboard and I prefer the case to be color black

I would also need a recommendation on a mouse and keyboard (Nothing fancy like super extra buttons on the mouse or the RGB nonsense).

there are builds in the OP. I'd start there.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
OK guys looks like it's finally happening I'm going to be getting a new PC within the next four weeks.

So I need a recommendation and here are some specifics to help along:

Budget $1000 - $1500
CPU: AMD
GPU: AMD/Nvidia
Motherboard:. Must full size Motherboard with PCIe 5.0
Games Resolution: 1440p
Refresh Rate: 60 Hz
RGB: Don't care for it
Liquid Cooling: Not interested
Overclocking: I don't intent to do any
PC Case: Meh whatever as long as it fits the Motherboard and I prefer the case to be color black

I would also need a recommendation on a mouse and keyboard (Nothing fancy like super extra buttons on the mouse or the RGB nonsense).

Here's the build I just finished putting together tonight:

System Builder

it seems pretty close to what you are looking for, though you'll need a different MOBO is PCIe 5.0 is a must.

Ricky

Oct 25, 2017
If I want to add more RAM to my build, aside from powering it down and using the same exact RAM that I currently have, is there anything else that needs to be done?

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
If I want to add more RAM to my build, aside from powering it down and using the same exact RAM that I currently have, is there anything else that needs to be done?

1. power down
2. install ram
3. power on
4. probably go into BIOS first to make sure it shows up properly and is at the correct speed (if you use mismatched RAM expect weirdness)
5. thats it
6. (optional) run a memory benchmark app to test that its functioning fine

dmann

Oct 27, 2017
My last complete build was in 2013 so I was long overdue for one; decided to pull the trigger and jump on the AMD Ryzen bandwagon.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
MOBO: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 32GB 3600MHz
SSD: Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVME 4.0 Gen4
CASE: NZXT H710i White/Black
POWER SUPPLY: Seasonic Focus Plus 750Watt 80 Plus Gold
GPU: Reusing a Sapphire Radeon Vega64 Nitro+
SSD: Reusing an ADATA SU800 2TB SSD

My plan is to jump to Zen3/4000 series whenever it releases and see how Ampere and the new AMD high-end cards shake out before retiring my Vega64. Will likely get a AIO cooler as well whenever I upgrade the CPU.

Completed my build earlier today, photos below. Still need to work on the cable management and make it look a bit cleaner.

VI00TXnl.jpg

03BsyuQl.jpg

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Today my new M.2 NVMe SSD arrived but I soon discovered my mobo screws were too short! When I screwed it in there was a slight bend which didn't seem safe and if I left it unscrewed it would obviously stick out which seemed equally unsafe.

I was fiddling around and then the screw disappeared off the face of the earth: I literally have no idea how I lost it or where it went.

While looking for it I found a different weird screw thing, I realised it was one of the pins from the DVI plug from my second monitor that had somehow fallen out, nice and lengthy! So I screwed my SSD in with a DVI monitor pin and so far so good rofl.

Is this an OK solution or am I skating on thin ice here?

Oct 27, 2017

I don't think I ever posted this. You guys were a big help in both building my PC and writing this. Wanted to write something different that actually does function as a useful tutorial since most of that is youtube videos nowadays. Feels like a million years ago.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
PCIe 5.0 doesn't exist until 2022 for motherboards, if you mean 4.0, the only game in town is the AMD X570 chipset...

Wait what really? I feel like I been reading about PCIe 5.0 for months now and it's still not a thing? Technology hasn't been moving as fast as I thought in that regard.

Here's the build I just finished putting together tonight:

System Builder

it seems pretty close to what you are looking for, though you'll need a different MOBO is PCIe 5.0 is a must.
I'll take a good look and decide on it later after work thanks.

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC
Just got an SSD drive. Cloning it over and formatting my HDD. Thinking about going from my 1660 to a 2070 Super.
I've also been using a Ryzen 5 1600 and may want to upgrade that. Thoughts?

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Today my new M.2 NVMe SSD arrived but I soon discovered my mobo screws were too short! When I screwed it in there was a slight bend which didn't seem safe and if I left it unscrewed it would obviously stick out which seemed equally unsafe.

I was fiddling around and then the screw disappeared off the face of the earth: I literally have no idea how I lost it or where it went.

While looking for it I found a different weird screw thing, I realised it was one of the pins from the DVI plug from my second monitor that had somehow fallen out, nice and lengthy! So I screwed my SSD in with a DVI monitor pin and so far so good rofl.

Is this an OK solution or am I skating on thin ice here?

You just earned your DIY badge. The standoffs for M.2 are cheap, just tiny 4.5mm "standoff" screws, named so because they have threading on the top for a security screw. So if your DVI monitor pin (1) fit in the threading and (2) you still managed to screw in the security, that's great luck. If you didn't manage to get a security screw in well, you're probably still fine but just be aware of sag over time since the NVME is mounted sideways. Motherboards with M.2 heatsinks sometimes solve this because they act as a clamp (although some just use the standoffs, so it's ymmv).

(If it's not secure, worst case you could build a brace out of lego or something. It used to be quite the popular solution for video cards before companies made solid braces, because Lego ABS is rated up to 80c and shouldn't melt until ~100c, neither of which was a temp the edge of a video card could hit.)

The G.skillz trident rgb doesn't have fake slot fillers??

Nope. :lol Only Corsair sells them AFAIK, and I've only seen them for Vengeance RGB Black and White. Maybe there are other manufacturers but G.Skill has stayed out of it. I love my Trident Z Neo but Corsair generally rules the RGB roost.

Could I theoretically use a more modern GPU like a 1060 or 1660 on an older motherboard like the Asus P8Z77-Vpro which had a GTX 670?

PCIe is backwards compatible, so although I've never quite tried going backwards like that, it should work. The 1660 is the superior of the two but the 1060 is probably more evenly matched to the motherboard era.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
Opinions on NZXT H510 versus Meshify? I know I said no windows, but I kinda like the look of H510.

Edit, looks like Meshify is the winner here for cooling and noise?

Last edited:

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
You just earned your DIY badge. The standoffs for M.2 are cheap, just tiny 4.5mm "standoff" screws, named so because they have threading on the top for a security screw. So if your DVI monitor pin (1) fit in the threading and (2) you still managed to screw in the security, that's great luck. If you didn't manage to get a security screw in well, you're probably still fine but just be aware of sag over time since the NVME is mounted sideways. Motherboards with M.2 heatsinks sometimes solve this because they act as a clamp (although some just use the standoffs, so it's ymmv).

(If it's not secure, worst case you could build a brace out of lego or something. It used to be quite the popular solution for video cards before companies made solid braces, because Lego ABS is rated up to 80c and shouldn't melt until ~100c, neither of which was a temp the edge of a video card could hit.)

Woo! Thanks, haha.

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
ugh... nzxt h1 seems to never be in stock...now I'm finding out that nzxt had them in stock mid April despite the fact I'm on their mailing list. wtf...

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
My last complete build was in 2013 so I was long overdue for one; decided to pull the trigger and jump on the AMD Ryzen bandwagon.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
MOBO: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 32GB 3600MHz
SSD: Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVME 4.0 Gen4
CASE: NZXT H710i White/Black
POWER SUPPLY: Seasonic Focus Plus 750Watt 80 Plus Gold
GPU: Reusing a Sapphire Radeon Vega64 Nitro+
SSD: Reusing an ADATA SU800 2TB SSD

My plan is to jump to Zen3/4000 series whenever it releases and see how Ampere and the new AMD high-end cards shake out before retiring my Vega64. Will likely get a AIO cooler as well whenever I upgrade the CPU.

Completed my build earlier today, photos below. Still need to work on the cable management and make it look a bit cleaner.

VI00TXnl.jpg

03BsyuQl.jpg

Your PC is running in single channel mode.

With only two sticks you wouldnt put the two RAM sticks next to each other.

Gigabyte also have this diagram telling you the best way to install RAM.
DIMMs.PNG.185716ff74268aa00852682b7c2bec41.PNG

P.S If this is "Needs more cable management" mode, I refuse to post my work.
Very clean, other than the random RGB'ing going on....match everything to the blue of the graphics card and youll have a very clean build.

xeroborn55

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys, looking for a little guidance. I want to build a dedicated emulation pc for my family. PS2 and Gamecube full emulation is the goal (and everything earlier than that), which seems to exclude shield tv/pi. I would prefer something with a smaller form factor.

1. What's your budget and currency? US, ~$500-$600
  2. What do you want to use the computer for? (gaming? web? video editing? everything?) Dedicated emulation box
  3. When do you plan to purchase the parts and build it? Over the next few months, spread out.
  4. Are you reusing any parts or are you building a completely new computer? probably all new
  5. Do you only need the computer itself or do you need accessories, such as a monitor, mouse, keyboard, and speakers? no accessories needed
  6. Do you want to overclock? (will make your PC faster, but requires better cooling and can have various side effects) probably not, right?
edit: just did some googling and maybe the lattepanda alpha would be good for this?

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
I just received my 32GB Trident Z Neo for Ryzen (3600). It got lost in the mail for two weeks and I purchased a different set, a Corsair RGB Pro Vengeance 3200. Anyone want to buy it off my hands? Selling at a cost, 189.99. Hell I'll cover the shipping for all I care.

Edit: whoops. Selling the trident!

Last edited:

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
So I'm futzing around with a Mini-ITX build to hook to my TV for local emulation and whatnot.
Was originally just going to grab something cheap and decently fuctional like a GTX 1650 or RX 570...
Then while parts browsing, I stumble upon my local Micro Center selling a damn Powercolor RX Vega 56 Red Dragon on clearance for $150.
Like, WUT
I jumped on it and am about to go pick it up now.
Thankfully, my case is the Cooler Master Elite 130, so there's ample room for a full-sized GPU
I doubt it's the bin with Samsung memory, but still, Vega 56 for $150 sounds like an absolute steal.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Really debating myself a lot if i change my graphic card now for a 2070 Super or wait for the 3000 serie... wonder how they gonna cost.

But now all my friend play with games my computer cant run (I have a 550 ti) and i feel left alone.

To buy now, resale and buy better or just wait until september... summer gonna be long...

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
I may as well ask here as well as Googling...

We're moving country soon, and I'm considering taking my desktop in hold luggage. It was packed really well when I got it pre-made and shipped to me - bubble-wrap smushed inside the (Corsair Spec-06 RGB) case so the GPU and heatsink didn't wobble. I guess I'll remove the hard drives so they don't suffer any extreme shocks, and just put it into luggage with bubble-wrap inside it again, and around the outside?

Traveling from Malaysia to the UK, so anyone with any experience of customs (Malaysian, UK, or otherwise): will security throw a tantrum because of the PSU? Or any of the pieces in there?

Cheers for any help or input. :)

dmann

Oct 27, 2017
Your PC is running in single channel mode.

With only two sticks you wouldnt put the two RAM sticks next to each other.

Gigabyte also have this diagram telling you the best way to install RAM.

P.S If this is "Needs more cable management" mode, I refuse to post my work.
Very clean, other than the random RGB'ing going on....match everything to the blue of the graphics card and youll have a very clean build.

I'll move my ram sticks over. I overlooked that part in the manual. Thanks!

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
Really debating myself a lot if i change my graphic card now for a 2070 Super or wait for the 3000 serie... wonder how they gonna cost.

But now all my friend play with games my computer cant run (I have a 550 ti) and i feel left alone.

To buy now, resale and buy better or just wait until september... summer gonna be long...

Some rumors suggest that the 3070/3080 series will be priced a bit cheaper compared to turing but i guess that will mostly be decided how good AMDs RDNA2 is and when next-gen console are getting released.

With pressure from RDNA 2 and NextGen Consoles Nvidia could be forced to sell cheaper.

Plasmid

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a i7-4790k and a 2080 super. I can definitely notice sometimes that in 1440p and 4k games the CPU is throttling my GPU. I'm thinking about getting a 3700x but most likely going to wait until theres a new 4k or 5k (whatever AMD has next) series. Does that make sense? OR should i just go straight into the 3700x?

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
I just received my 32GB Trident Z Neo for Ryzen (3600). It got lost in the mail for two weeks and I purchased a different set, a Corsair RGB Pro Vengeance 3200. Anyone want to buy it off my hands? Selling at a cost, 189.99. Hell I'll cover the shipping for all I care.

The 3600 or the Corsair? I'm actually in the market for the 3600 Neo but I live very....very far away, lol. NewEgg keeps trying to get me to buy the 16-19-19-39 kit...hopefully someone else takes you up on it.

I have a i7-4790k and a 2080 super. I can definitely notice sometimes that in 1440p and 4k games the CPU is throttling my GPU. I'm thinking about getting a 3700x but most likely going to wait until theres a new 4k or 5k (whatever AMD has next) series. Does that make sense? OR should i just go straight into the 3700x?

Depends on your patience. Ryzen 4000 could come anywhere from September to January. You have a great video card so waiting would make sense, as you need new RAM, a new motherboard, and a new CPU. But a 3700X would "unlock" your card right now.

MemoSan

Jan 15, 2020
Mexico
Hello all!

I'm trying to build an entry PC to play some games and be able to upgrade easily in the future, I have quite thigh budget but I want to be sure that I can upgrade enough in the next few years so I don't stay behind and play future games. Can you guys help me with your comments if this build will be enough?

CPU: AMD YD2600BBAFBOX Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 560
Pwr Supply: EVGA 500 BR, 80+ Bronze 500W
Memory: Kingston, Hx432C16Fb3/8, Memory RAM Hyperx Fury 8GB DDR4 U-DIMM 3200 MHz PC4-25600 CL16, Non-ECC
SSD: Kingston Digital SA400S37/240G Solid State Drive (SSD) 240GB, SATA III, 2.5
Case: Corsair cc-9011138-ww Carbide Series spec-05

Firs time building a PC, just want to make sure I don't fuck it up :)

Thank you!

Guybrarian

Jun 23, 2018
So I'm futzing around with a Mini-ITX build to hook to my TV for local emulation and whatnot.
Was originally just going to grab something cheap and decently fuctional like a GTX 1650 or RX 570...
Then while parts browsing, I stumble upon my local Micro Center selling a damn Powercolor RX Vega 56 Red Dragon on clearance for $150.
Like, WUT
I jumped on it and am about to go pick it up now.
Thankfully, my case is the Cooler Master Elite 130, so there's ample room for a full-sized GPU
I doubt it's the bin with Samsung memory, but still, Vega 56 for $150 sounds like an absolute steal.
First of all, congrats on the find!

Sounds like my build (first time). I was going to get a 1060, but they were sold out but had a great price on a 1070 so I went for it. Then I thought I needed to push it so I bought a better monitor. Then I felt like I needed a better processor. Don't fall into the rabbit hole like I did!!!

P.S. - My case is also the 130!

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I envy people who live next to a microcenter. They know better than to bring one near me in NC. Holy fuck I would never leave those stores. Theyd have to put dogs on me.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Might be one of the first builds ive seen where I legit have nothing to add.
Thats a brilliant build, cant wait to see the thing fully put together.

Keep us updated.

Everything is up and running. Had a few issues getting it all together, but it all worked out in the end.

Build Pictures:

imgur.com

imgur.com

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Full parts list.

System Builder

Very satisfied with the build. Ran Doom 2016 with everything maxed out and was still breaking 120 FPS at 1080p. I'll hook it up to my 4k TV later and see how it handles that.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
I envy people who live next to a microcenter. They know better than to bring one near me in NC. Holy fuck I would never leave those stores. Theyd have to put dogs on me.

It is pretty great. My favorite Indian restaurant is right near the one near me so after eating I just go and walk around for a bit even if I don't need anything.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Everything is up and running. Had a few issues getting it all together, but it all worked out in the end.

Build Pictures:

imgur.com

imgur.com

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Full parts list.

System Builder

Very satisfied with the build. Ran Doom 2016 with everything maxed out and was still breaking 120 FPS at 1080p. I'll hook it up to my 4k TV later and see how it handles that.

So good.

The Mugen 5 might be my favorite looking cooler, maybe only the Dark Rock 4 Pro matches it in looking like an absolute unit thats here to work not faf around.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Yea, that's what I got in my baby right now. It is deathly silent. Getting the fans on was a piece of work tho. I bout damn near cried trying to do it.

Dont think ive seen your system.
But yeah the Dark Rock Pro 4 is such a Goliath looking piece of tech.
I saw a deanodized version and was seriously contemplating doing the same when I get mine.
But might end up going fully bequiet for my entire build and just have it merc'd to death.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I visited the one in Tustin, CA late last year and yeah, I was overwhelmed by how much stuff was in it. The building is smaller than say, our local Frys here in Washington (I don't even know if that's still open. Last time I went, it was nearly empty) but it was packed and the selection of items being sold was significantly better.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what I want to do going past 8 cores. Seeing some of those 5.4ghz leaked overclocks and a 3000cb Cinebench R15 score makes me swing towards 10900K.

softtack

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The AIO coupled with the NZXT H1 is such a deal breaker. What happens when that pump fails? I assume that they don't sell them separately. Or do they?

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
The 3600 or the Corsair? I'm actually in the market for the 3600 Neo but I live very....very far away, lol. NewEgg keeps trying to get me to buy the 16-19-19-39 kit...hopefully someone else takes you up on it.
Yeah that's far lol. No idea how I would even ship it, and yes it's the 3600. Corsair already installed. I could probably switch it and go up to 3600 but reselling the Corsair May be a pain.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
Made a couple of mistakes ordering parts. Normally this would be no big deal could but because of Covid, risking getting infected on my way to UPS to return pc parts would not be fun. Learn from my mistakes!

Mistake #1 Ordered a Gold sf 600 instead of PLatinum. I'm building an SFF machine so i hope the Gold psu isn't much louder.
Mistake #2 Ordered FLX fans instead of PMW....ugh dumb mistake. Last pc I built was in 2010 and it shows lol
Mistake #3 the Ncase m1 has a USB-C port in the front panel but my mobo, aorus x570i Pro Wifi Doesn't. Not a huge deal, but it I should have known.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I currently have an HDMI monitor and a DVI monitor, my GPU only has HDMI and DP ports, so I've ordered a DP to DVI adapter, but I did notice the motherboard has a DVI port. If I plug the DVI into the motherboard while the main HDMI monitor is plugged into the graphics card, what happens? Will the system only use the GPU for what's displayed on the HDMI monitor, or will the system just not output from both at the same time?

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
Man these Ampere rumors are absolutely nuts. I have no idea who's credible and who's not, but seeing folks claim the 3060 will be comparable to a 2080 Super or even the 2080 Ti is getting me pumped.

I'm going to hold out as long as I can before doing my rebuild, but I'll probably jump the gun if I can get a cheap holdover GPU I can dump when Ampere drops. A Ryzen 3600 can't be that much weaker than its 4000-series replacement and I can always upgrade later.

Nov 21, 2017
Hello all!

I'm trying to build an entry PC to play some games and be able to upgrade easily in the future, I have quite thigh budget but I want to be sure that I can upgrade enough in the next few years so I don't stay behind and play future games. Can you guys help me with your comments if this build will be enough?

CPU: AMD YD2600BBAFBOX Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 560
Pwr Supply: EVGA 500 BR, 80+ Bronze 500W
Memory: Kingston, Hx432C16Fb3/8, Memory RAM Hyperx Fury 8GB DDR4 U-DIMM 3200 MHz PC4-25600 CL16, Non-ECC
SSD: Kingston Digital SA400S37/240G Solid State Drive (SSD) 240GB, SATA III, 2.5
Case: Corsair cc-9011138-ww Carbide Series spec-05

Firs time building a PC, just want to make sure I don't fuck it up :)

Thank you!

What's your budget?

I would suggest:

a) Buy RAM in a 2x4GB sticks pack instead of 1x8GB; that way you'll be using it in Dual Channel mode, and still have two slots free to upgrade to 16GB in the future.
b) Get a cheap 1TB HDD for storing games and using the SSD only to have Windows and other programs.
c) Maybe "downgrade" from a 2600 to a 1600AF, which is basically the same but should be cheaper, thus allowing extra budget for a better GPU.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
I currently have an HDMI monitor and a DVI monitor, my GPU only has HDMI and DP ports, so I've ordered a DP to DVI adapter, but I did notice the motherboard has a DVI port. If I plug the DVI into the motherboard while the main HDMI monitor is plugged into the graphics card, what happens? Will the system only use the GPU for what's displayed on the HDMI monitor, or will the system just not output from both at the same time?
if this is the build you posted earlier, plugging a monitor into your motherboard DVI port will do nothing because your CPU doesn't have integrated graphics - the ports are there to support the AMD chips that do come with built in graphics

Oct 25, 2017
my OS drive is a fast 1tb drive, is it ok to also install games on that same drive? not to the point where it gets full. mainly asking since windows LOVES being anal about permissions on c drive

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
my OS drive is a fast 1tb drive, is it ok to also install games on that same drive? not to the point where it gets full. mainly asking since windows LOVES being anal about permissions on c drive
sure, it's fine. and in my experience windows is only anal about permissions if you're installing to, like, c:\program files or other "core" folders. it's never given a shit about installing to c:\games\whatever