• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PhantomFFR

Oct 25, 2017
Vienna, Austria, EU, Earth
Just want max ram with as many DIMMS as possible is all. Its only a small consideration tho.

Just want a good future proof mobo and cpu.

...but why?
For ordinary use 64-128 GB RAM you can put in 4 slots will be enough until way past the obsolence of the CPU. Unless you _really_ need more than that, this just incurs unnecessary cost as you'd have to go for the HEDT-platforms from AMD (Threadripper) or Intel, which also offer other benefits like higher core count CPUs ans more PCIe-lanes, but again, chances are, unless you know you need them right now, buying that just to future proof is a fool's errand, by the time you might need the benefits, the parts will be obsolete. In the end you pay a lot of money for things you are unlikely to benefit from. There's very little value in doing so.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
I was thinking about building a PC and was surprised to find that Newegg stopped selling the DIY PC bundles, when did this happen?

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
will a
Corsair Force MP600 1TB NVMe PCIe x4 Gen4
Work on PCIE gen 3 intel 8700k board? I have NVME slots

i know the speed will be capped at pcie3.0 speeds but i just want to ensure that it will work

also, good SSD this one?

Yes, Gen4 is fully backwards compatible. So, in general the Corsair Gen4 should be okay, but I do remember reading a volley of complaints on the Corsair forums about some sort of flaw with the drive. So either read up on that or get the equally good (and virtually identical) Sabrent Rocket Gen4, or much nicer-looking AORUS Gen4, or even the Seagate Gen4...basically every one of them uses the same Phison chipset right now. I'm not exactly worried, just that I lived through the Sandforce era years ago...

It should be compatible so long as the pin out matches your NVMe slot. You need an M.2 NVMe slot (not SATA). Generally speaking even a hybrid slot would work, but on a pure SATA M.2 slot the pinout is on the wrong side. If you're worried, post your motherboard model.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
So it looks like the X2 GP-12 fans that come with the Meshify case are not PWM. Does this mean they will always spin at max speed?

If that is the case, should I replace those too with some PWM ones if I want to aim for a quiet system?

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, Gen4 is fully backwards compatible. So, in general the Corsair Gen4 should be okay, but I do remember reading a volley of complaints on the Corsair forums about some sort of flaw with the drive. So either read up on that or get the equally good (and virtually identical) Sabrent Rocket Gen4, or much nicer-looking AORUS Gen4, or even the Seagate Gen4...basically every one of them uses the same Phison chipset right now. I'm not exactly worried, just that I lived through the Sandforce era years ago...

It should be compatible so long as the pin out matches your NVMe slot. You need an M.2 NVMe slot (not SATA). Generally speaking even a hybrid slot would work, but on a pure SATA M.2 slot the pinout is on the wrong side. If you're worried, post your motherboard model.

Hey again! actually you are right, even before this reply, i have already read negatives about the drive so im getting another.

my motherboard is
Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
I'm looking to replace my Mobo and my CPU at the same time guys. I want a powerful Mobo with 8 memory bays and RGB customization. Any recommendations?

8 bays is crazy and would limit you to Threadripper, absolutely insane part costs, no real futureproofing there either.

If you want to go RGB, you're much better off grabbing an ATX motherboard (which all have 4 slots), going 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - 32GB being more than enough for any gamer - and then using the fake RAM they sell to fill the other two slots (basically just a circuit board with the RGB to look like extra RAM, rather than literally being RAM itself). Honestly I'd even do that on Threadripper.

Beyond that, if you want a powerful CPU+Motherboard, it really depends on your budget and whether you want Intel or not. Since I don't see a budget, I'll just assume you want a powerful CPU and an expensive motherboard.

AMD
MEG X570 Godlike (EATX, so case compatibility is an issue, but it's hugely expensive with tons of options)
AMD Ryzen 3950X (12 cores, 24 threads!)

INTEL
AORUS EXTREME Z490
Intel Core i9 10900K (the latest high end CPU)

So it looks like the X2 GP-12 fans that come with the Meshify case are not PWM. Does this mean they will always spin at max speed?

If that is the case, should I replace those too with some PWM ones if I want to aim for a quiet system?

I found them quiet enough since they aren't screamer fans, but the motherboard itself typically can adjust voltage to adjust fan speed. So it's not eternally locked there. I would give it a try and see if you find it noisy.

Hey again! actually you are right, even before this reply, i have already read negatives about the drive so im getting another.

my motherboard is
Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5

That board has some really awesome RGB. But yeah, all of your slots work with it.

Cronen

Oct 27, 2017
I've been thinking about building a new PC for a while, as my current machine is starting to show its age. I've been doing a bit of research and I'm pretty much set on going with Ryzen this time around. Can somebody take a look at the below and let me know what you think?

AMD Ryzen 5 3600
MSI B450 Tomahawk Max AM4 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000 Memory

I have pre-ordered the motherboard on Amazon, but the expected delivery date is mid-June, so I can easily change that. I've got a 500GB WD M.2 SSD ready to go, along with a Cooler Master CPU cooler. For the time being, I plan on using my existing case, PSU and HDDs.

The only thing I'm not set on yet is the GPU. I'm currently using a GTX 970 and leaning more towards a RTX 2060 or 2070. I'm just hoping that the prices on the 2070 will drop a bit soon (especially with 30 series announcement around the corner).

Fox318

Oct 25, 2017
I've been thinking about building a new PC for a while, as my current machine is starting to show its age. I've been doing a bit of research and I'm pretty much set on going with Ryzen this time around. Can somebody take a look at the below and let me know what you think?

AMD Ryzen 5 3600

I have pre-ordered the motherboard on Amazon, but the expected delivery date is mid-June, so I can easily change that. I've got a 500GB WD M.2 SSD ready to go, along with a Cooler Master CPU cooler. For the time being, I plan on using my existing case, PSU and HDDs.

The only thing I'm not set on yet is the GPU. I'm currently using a GTX 970 and leaning more towards a RTX 2060 or 2070. I'm just hoping that the prices on the 2070 will drop a bit soon (especially with 30 series announcement around the corner).
You might want to go with faster memory. It really makes a difference on Ryzen

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017

AMD Ryzen 5 3600

My suggestion is to move to 3200 Memory. Also don't think you'll need the CPU Cooler as the supplied one with the 3600 should be more than efficient enough. I'd also go with the 2060 as the value for the 2070 isn't worth it in my opinion, others can chime in about that.

Cronen

Oct 27, 2017
Just noticed that Amazon are selling the 3200 memory for around £5 cheaper than the 3000, so think I'll jump on that!

I'd also go with the 2060 as the value for the 2070 isn't worth it in my opinion, others can chime in about that.
Thanks! Yeah, from what I've seen 2070 cards are around £200 more than the 2060, so I'm not sure whether it's worth dropping the extra cash on or not. But definitely welcome for other suggestions/advice!

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Im about make everyone of my next builds mATX. Its the best of both worlds. ITX is too small and thermals can be an issue and standard ATX feels like its too big. As long as the case you get is well ventilated for the mATX build its simply the best for factor if you dont need too use too may expansion slots.

This is the case im using and I simply love it.

Amazon.com: Cooler Master Box NR400 w/ Front Mesh Ventilation, Minimal Design, Tempered Glass Side Panel and Single Headset Jack: Computers & Accessories

Buy Cooler Master Box NR400 w/ Front Mesh Ventilation, Minimal Design, Tempered Glass Side Panel and Single Headset Jack: Computer Cases - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases

That sounds like a plan! :D I tried a mATX build for a friend before but I simply wasn't experienced enough yet so we ran into a lot of thermal and noise-issues so it was pretty meh. Nowadays I'm alot more confident though, that case looks great, thanks! :)

The Wraith

Oct 27, 2017
That sounds like a plan! :D I tried a mATX build for a friend before but I simply wasn't experienced enough yet so we ran into a lot of thermal and noise-issues so it was pretty meh. Nowadays I'm alot more confident though, that case looks great, thanks! :)
Fans, any mATX case I buy has to have at least two 140mm fan slots in the front. Preferably mesh front as well. When dealing with space confines air flow helps temps more than anything else. 2 120mm exhaust I like to do as well. One in the back and one on top.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Here is the gaming rig i want to build. First time building a computer, my last computer was a quad core 2 duo

All price in Canadian btw

Motherboard MSI x470 https://www.newegg.ca/msi-performan...us-max/p/N82E16813144266?item=N82E16813144266

RTX 2070 Super https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07V6SJLSG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1

500GB NVMe Internal Gaming SSD - Gen3 https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07MH2P5ZD/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1

Cooler https://www.amazon.ca/Noctua-NH-D15...&qid=1588696458&sprefix=noctua,aps,161&sr=8-3

Should I go for the Ryzen 3600 ?

But I don't know what to pick for Power Supply and DDR RAM

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
8 bays is crazy and would limit you to Threadripper, absolutely insane part costs, no real futureproofing there either.

If you want to go RGB, you're much better off grabbing an ATX motherboard (which all have 4 slots), going 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - 32GB being more than enough for any gamer - and then using the fake RAM they sell to fill the other two slots (basically just a circuit board with the RGB to look like extra RAM, rather than literally being RAM itself). Honestly I'd even do that on Threadripper.

Beyond that, if you want a powerful CPU+Motherboard, it really depends on your budget and whether you want Intel or not. Since I don't see a budget, I'll just assume you want a powerful CPU and an expensive motherboard.

AMD
MEG X570 Godlike (EATX, so case compatibility is an issue, but it's hugely expensive with tons of options)
AMD Ryzen 3950X (12 cores, 24 threads!)

INTEL
AORUS EXTREME Z490
Intel Core i9 10900K (the latest high end CPU)
The case isn't an issue at all. Remember, I have a EATX already. The G.skillz trident rgb doesn't have fake slot fillers??

I think I'm going with your AMD recommendation this time around. I've did Intel for 14 years.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2017

For power supply:

- Look at the recommened wattage on the 2070 Super specs (something like "550W" or "650W")
- Find a PSU with that wattage and a good 80 Plus Rating (at least Bronze, Gold recommended)

For Ram:

- 16GB
- Highest speed possible (e.g. 3600 better than 3200 better than 3000)

Also, make sure your case can fit the mobo (is the case ATX? micro-ATX?) and GPU (length).

Alastor3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For power supply:

- Look at the recommened wattage on the 2070 Super specs (something like "550W" or "650W")
- Find a PSU with that wattage and a good 80 Plus Rating (at least Bronze, Gold recommended)

For Ram:

- 16GB
- Highest speed possible (e.g. 3600 better than 3200 better than 3000)

Also, make sure your case can fit the mobo (is the case ATX? micro-ATX?) and GPU (length).
Thanks a lot! Yeah i haven't look in a case yet, nor monitor

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017

Don't buy NVMe SSDs that have less than 1TB. These usualy come with much lower write and read speed than the bigger models plus 500GB isn't exactly future proof.

Loveless

Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking to buy one of the AMD Ryzen CPUs but I'm wondering when they are going to release the next iteration, does anyone have any information on that?

Alastor3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Don't buy NVMe SSDs that have less than 1TB. These usualy come with much lower write and read speed than the bigger models plus 500GB isn't exactly future proof.
Good , i didnt know, thanks!

Would you concider the 2070 super a good investment our should i go cheaper with the 5700 xt?

2070 super seems to be better with games that have DLSS which isn't a lot still

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
Good , i didnt know, thanks!

Would you concider the 2070 super a good investment our should i go cheaper with the 5700 xt?

2070 super seems to be better with games that have DLSS which isn't a lot still

On average a 2070 Super will give you around 15% more performance compared to a 5700XT, Ray Tracing, better software and driver.

if this worth to pay around 130$ more is your decision in the end.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just got the last of my build in. With any luck, I'll have updates and pictures tonight or tomorrow

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Fans, any mATX case I buy has to have at least two 140mm fan slots in the front. Preferably mesh front as well. When dealing with space confines air flow helps temps more than anything else. 2 120mm exhaust I like to do as well. One in the back and one on top.

Yeah, the problem with my friend's case was, it was a split-chamber case from Corsair I think that had a very weird shape and since I didn't want to get him a GTX 970 at that time due to the VRAM fiasco the only other real choice we had was a R9 390 and this card was oversized and hot by default so while it did fit into the case it basically blocked the entire GPU compartment off and lead to a head-jam where no fan could have reached it.

The Wraith

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the problem with my friend's case was, it was a split-chamber case from Corsair I think that had a very weird shape and since I didn't want to get him a GTX 970 at that time due to the VRAM fiasco the only other real choice we had was a R9 390 and this card was oversized and hot by default so while it did fit into the case it basically blocked the entire GPU compartment off and lead to a head-jam where no fan could have reached it.
Sounds terrible. Thankfully mATX cases have gotten better since then. I really wish AMD made better video cards at the high end so I could buy them instead of being price gouged by Nvidia.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds terrible. Thankfully mATX cases have gotten better since then. I really wish AMD made better video cards at the high end so I could buy them instead of being price gouged by Nvidia.

Same here but I hate to say it with DLSS and Nvidia Moonlight Gamestream I kinda can't see me going AMD anyway. But yeah mATX seems way easier nowadays, I'm excited what Fractal Design comes up with in the mATX space till 2021.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
Same here but I hate to say it with DLSS and Nvidia Moonlight Gamestream I kinda can't see me going AMD anyway. But yeah mATX seems way easier nowadays, I'm excited what Fractal Design comes up with in the mATX space till 2021.

Im hyped for the O11D Mini by Lian Li. 38 liter Case that can either host 3 x 280mm radiators when using a Mini-ITX (thanks to that internal shift in position), 1 x 280 mm and 1 x 240mm radiators or 2 x 240mm when using a Micro ATX, or 2 x 240mm radiators when using an ATX motherboard.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Im hyped for the O11D Mini by Lian Li. 38 liter Case that can either host 3 x 280mm radiators when using a Mini-ITX (thanks to that internal shift in position), 1 x 280 mm and 1 x 240mm radiators or 2 x 240mm when using a Micro ATX, or 2 x 240mm radiators when using an ATX motherboard.

That looks and sounds awesome but it seems you wont get very far with more than one HDD right?

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
That looks and sounds awesome but it seems you wont get very far with more than one HDD right?

It has a drivecage in the back for 2 HDD. The only downside of the O11D Mini is no support for ATX PSU but at least there are some incredible SFX PSU available like the Corsair SF Platinum Series.

xtDVb9g.jpg

Last edited:

mp77

Oct 27, 2017
I ended up building the PC below and while I thought everything went well my monitor is showing no signal. Power is working on all my fans, the GPU etc.

I checked all of my power connections, the ram, etc and everything is fine so I'm looking for suggestions for things to try before I take it apart and rebuild with tests between steps.

I did notice this compatibility note about my build I didn't pay attention to prior to buying parts - "The Asus PRIME X570-P ATX AM4 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply does not. This connector is used to supply additional 12V current to the motherboard. While the system will likely still run without it, higher current demands such as extreme overclocking or large video card current draws may require it." Could that be the problem?

I'd appreciate any ideas. Thanks.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($294.14 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME X570-P ATX AM4 Motherboard ($159.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($153.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card ($1214.00 @ Newegg)
Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500 ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.90 @ B&H)
Power Supply: *EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Best Buy)
Case Fan: be quiet! SilentWings 3 pwm 59.5 CFM 140 mm Fan ($23.30 @ Amazon)
Total: $2165.30
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-04 21:16 EDT-0400

Thanks for the input everyone. After some more testing (different cable, different monitors, etc and poking around (including some reddit posts) it made it seem like the four pin may be necessary in addition to the eight. While I can't address that I did decide to try to remove components and that's where my new problem lies. I attempted to take out my video card but it won't come out. I was able to press down on the tap for release but as you can see only about 3/4 comes out. Any help with this would be appreciated.

imgur.com

2080 TI removal

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
It has a drivecage in the back for 2 HDD. The only downside of the O11D Mini is no support for ATX PSU but at least there are some incredible SFX PSU available like the Corsair SF Platinum Series.

xtDVb9g.jpg

Oh very nice! But the PSU limitation is a bummer, I know there are great SFX PSUs out there by now but they are quite a bit more expensive than ATX ones. How is the noise of a good SFX PSU?

Strangiato

Oct 28, 2017
Could I theoretically use a more modern GPU like a 1060 or 1660 on an older motherboard like the Asus P8Z77-Vpro which had a GTX 670?

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really trying to convince myself I should wait for Ryzen 3 and Ampere but I've got the itch to play some PC games, especially jumping back into ESO proper. I can always just add in a Ryzen 3 and 3080Ti later in the year and have this hold me over until this..

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($320.00)
Motherboard: ASRock X470 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard ($125.00)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($135.00)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($150.00)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card ($460.00)
Case: Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Best Buy)
Power Supply: EVGA 600 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1349.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-05 19:27 EDT-0400

Someone convince me I should wait?

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
Oh very nice! But the PSU limitation is a bummer, I know there are great SFX PSUs out there by now but they are quite a bit more expensive than ATX ones. How is the noise of a good SFX PSU?

Very quite if you are picking one of the few good ones like the Corsair SF platinum but obviously "louder" under load compared to the best ATX PSUs due to the smaller fan size.

But in a real world setting it will be whisper quite as you can see in the following graph.

The graph below depicts the cooling fan's average noise over the PSU's operating range, with an ambient temperature between 30°C and 32°C (86°F to 89.6°F).

Z7b7k8AWxR5LUrZwagh8iF-650-80.png

Jul 26, 2018
Hopefully I can get some help from this 'rare" question i'm about to ask.

Is there any Twitch/Youtube/Mixer streamers here who uses 2 gaming PC's on their stream setup? If so, what's your streaming PC specs? Is it a high end? Low budget?

So I REALLY want to stream but unfortunately, I guess it's safe to say that my PC is not strong enough to stream Modern Warfare. I have a Ryzen 2700X and RTX 2080 Super with 16GB Ram. For about 2 full days, i've tried to fix and stable my stream as much as possible but my PC is having trouble performing the tasks on playing MW (140-240hz gaming), and streaming at the same time.

Whenever my stream seems smooth, my game suffers massive FPS drops (40-50 FPS) and input lag which affects my performance. Yet when my stream is really blurry and bad quality, my game still suffers FPS drops but not as much. I've watched tons of tutorials on how to fix it, tried every preset, tweaked settings, tried both x264/NVENC presets, touched so many numbers on Bitrate, lower my game settings, etc. yet, nothing is fixed.

I've been told by others and read that the only solution to completely fix the issue is to get a 2nd streaming PC so it can capture and record your gameplays while your gaming PC won't face any performance issues.

I'm kinda thinking about perusing that idea but I rather get a super tight budget desktop or a cheap laptop for streaming. A system that's only capable of streaming and that's it. And all the gameplay is from my gaming PC. But i'm not too sure if this is the best possible route for me because I don't know if this can fix my issues 100%. So I wonder from other streamers out there that uses the 2 PC setup, will this idea help my stream? Plus I rather prefer a cheap laptop because I really don't want to buy/build another desktop. I feel a laptop is a better option.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Very quite if you are picking one of the few good ones like the Corsair SF platinum but obviously "louder" under load compared to the best ATX PSUs due to the smaller fan size.

But in a real world setting it will be whisper quite as you can see in the following graph.

The graph below depicts the cooling fan's average noise over the PSU's operating range, with an ambient temperature between 30°C and 32°C (86°F to 89.6°F).

Z7b7k8AWxR5LUrZwagh8iF-650-80.png

That's great to hear as I became a silence-enthusiast although wow I checked it out and it costs like twice of what I usually pay for PSUs o.o

Loveless

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna buy an AMD Ryzen 3600 with
However PC Part Picker is saying there might be a compatibility issue with

• The Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler may require a separately available mounting adapter to fit the MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard.
  • Note:Some physical dimension restrictions cannot (yet) be automatically checked, such as cpu cooler / RAM clearance with modules using tall heat spreaders.

Does anyone know anything about this?

AquaRegia

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna buy an AMD Ryzen 3600 with
However PC Part Picker is saying there might be a compatibility issue with

• The Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler may require a separately available mounting adapter to fit the MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard.
  • Note:Some physical dimension restrictions cannot (yet) be automatically checked, such as cpu cooler / RAM clearance with modules using tall heat spreaders.

Just bought one myself, so I remembered this link:
www.tomshardware.com

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Review: Non-X Marks the Spot

AMD's non-X chips are often a better value than their X-emblazoned counterparts when you factor in overclocking. Does that hold true for the Ryzen 5 3600?
We tested with both the stock cooler and the Corsair H115i to see how much extra cooling impacts the maximum performance the auto-overclocking algorithms can extract from the processor, and how that impacts power consumption. According to our measurements, the bundled Wraith Stealth cooler dissipates enough waste heat to nearly achieve the maximum amount of available performance in some applications, but it also doesn't offer much of a boost in others. A better cooler is a good investment if you're overclocking the 3600, but you won't need something as robust as our H115i (even a low-cost Hyper 212 should suffice).

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Thanks for the input everyone. After some more testing (different cable, different monitors, etc and poking around (including some reddit posts) it made it seem like the four pin may be necessary in addition to the eight. While I can't address that I did decide to try to remove components and that's where my new problem lies. I attempted to take out my video card but it won't come out. I was able to press down on the tap for release but as you can see only about 3/4 comes out. Any help with this would be appreciated.

I would gently plug it back in all the way, and try again with the slot lock held down. You don't want to damage the card or the slot. It's possible that the lock needs to be jiggled or the shimmy on removing the card was too aggressive. Just guessing though.

Really trying to convince myself I should wait for Ryzen 3 and Ampere but I've got the itch to play some PC games, especially jumping back into ESO proper. I can always just add in a Ryzen 3 and 3080Ti later in the year and have this hold me over until this..

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($320.00)
Motherboard: ASRock X470 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard ($125.00)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($135.00)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($150.00)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card ($460.00)
Case: Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Best Buy)
Power Supply: EVGA 600 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1349.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-05 19:27 EDT-0400

Someone convince me I should wait?

If you like the build, go for it. I'd probably aim for 650W 80+ Gold as a minimum PSU though, normally I don't advocate more W but the 3700X and 2070S are both going to tap the board a bit. The rest sounds quality although...I think this would need some research, but I'm not sure if the X470 Taichi today is pre-flashed to support Ryzen 3000? Or if it supports flashback? (flashing without the CPU)

The 212 EVO predates AM4 so it didn't originally come with the bracket. I heard newer EVOs do, so it really just depends on if the stock you are buying is new (like, 2019+) or dusty old (2018). They did offer the upgrade bracket online but my guess is most EVOs now have it in the box.

Loveless

Oct 27, 2017
Just bought one myself, so I remembered this link:
www.tomshardware.com

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Review: Non-X Marks the Spot

AMD's non-X chips are often a better value than their X-emblazoned counterparts when you factor in overclocking. Does that hold true for the Ryzen 5 3600?
I would gently plug it back in all the way, and try again with the slot lock held down. You don't want to damage the card or the slot. It's possible that the lock needs to be jiggled or the shimmy on removing the card was too aggressive. Just guessing though.

If you like the build, go for it. I'd probably aim for 650W 80+ Gold as a minimum PSU though, normally I don't advocate more W but the 3700X and 2070S are both going to tap the board a bit. The rest sounds quality although...I think this would need some research, but I'm not sure if the X470 Taichi today is pre-flashed to support Ryzen 3000? Or if it supports flashback? (flashing without the CPU)

The 212 EVO predates AM4 so it didn't originally come with the bracket. I heard newer EVOs do, so it really just depends on if the stock you are buying is new (like, 2019+) or dusty old (2018). They did offer the upgrade bracket online but my guess is most EVOs now have it in the box.
Appreciate it, if it's just the bracket, the amazon link says it supports AM4 but like you said, it depends on if it's a old stock, but I could just get my money back if it doesn't. Thanks guys.

Oct 25, 2017
Finished building my pc. Went pretty well after figuring out where to put each of the fan plugs on the motherboard. Had a brief freakout when I first turned it on and didn't get a signal. Problem seems to just have been one RAM wasn't slotted in all the way and I had to wait a bit for it to startup. I really should have researched more because I could have been fucked over multiple times, but I needed this quickly since my laptop was getting worse.

Here is my current build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DXFh8M

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Case: Corsair 110R ATX Mid Tower Case
PSU: Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

I'm using my SSD and HDDs from my previous pc and my old graphics card. The next thing I want to get is a new graphics card.

I'm thinking about a GeForce GTX 1660. Maybe this PNY GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB XLR8 Gaming Overclocked Edition Video Card? I don't need anything super beefy. I'm using a 1080p monitor and the games I play on PC aren't graphics intensive (Pillars of Eternity, Stellaris, indie games). Might want to get Assassin's Creed: Odyssey, The Outer Worlds, and Final Fantasy XV, but I don't care about playing it on ultra. I'm fine with medium to high. I'd prefer something less than $250 USD. $300 max.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Finished building my pc. Went pretty well after figuring out where to put each of the fan plugs on the motherboard. Had a brief freakout when I first turned it on and didn't get a signal. Problem seems to just have been one RAM wasn't slotted in all the way and I had to wait a bit for it to startup. I really should have researched more because I could have been fucked over multiple times, but I needed this quickly since my laptop was getting worse.

Here is my current build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DXFh8M

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Case: Corsair 110R ATX Mid Tower Case
PSU: Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

I'm using my SSD and HDDs from my previous pc and my old graphics card. The next thing I want to get is a new graphics card.

I'm thinking about a GeForce GTX 1660. Maybe this PNY GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB XLR8 Gaming Overclocked Edition Video Card? I don't need anything super beefy. I'm using a 1080p monitor and the games I play on PC aren't graphics intensive (Pillars of Eternity, Stellaris, indie games). Might want to get Assassin's Creed: Odyssey, The Outer Worlds, and Final Fantasy XV, but I don't care about playing it on ultra. I'm fine with medium to high. I'd prefer something less than $250 USD. $300 max.

Moving up to a 1660 Super would be a pretty decent option over that 1660 imo. It's a pretty decent boost over the base 1660. Should only run you up to about $240 from $200 depending on the model.

If you want to go all the way up to $300 exactly, the 2060 KO goes for $299.99. It would give you access to DLSS in the future which would help you keep image quality up as your computer ages, let you play around with some RTX stuff, and give you a pretty good power jump. Up to you if you want to go that high though. 1660 Super at least would be worth it for you though, I think.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Finally finished my build! It's getting late now, but it's up and running and I'll post pictures tomorrow.

Oct 25, 2017
Moving up to a 1660 Super would be a pretty decent option over that 1660 imo. It's a pretty decent boost over the base 1660. Should only run you up to about $240 from $200 depending on the model.

If you want to go all the way up to $300 exactly, the 2060 KO goes for $299.99. It would give you access to DLSS in the future which would help you keep image quality up as your computer ages, let you play around with some RTX stuff, and give you a pretty good power jump. Up to you if you want to go that high though. 1660 Super at least would be worth it for you though, I think.
Thanks. I'll look into that. It'll be a bit before I get it so hopefully I can watch to see if any sales happen in the meantime.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
OK guys looks like it's finally happening I'm going to be getting a new PC within the next four weeks.

So I need a recommendation and here are some specifics to help along:

Budget $1000 - $1500
CPU: AMD
GPU: AMD/Nvidia
Motherboard:. Must full size Motherboard with PCIe 5.0
Games Resolution: 1440p
Refresh Rate: 60 Hz
RGB: Don't care for it
Liquid Cooling: Not interested
Overclocking: I don't intent to do any
PC Case: Meh whatever as long as it fits the Motherboard and I prefer the case to be color black

I would also need a recommendation on a mouse and keyboard (Nothing fancy like super extra buttons on the mouse or the RGB nonsense).