• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
So if you're in noisy area or you need privacy, get the DT770.

If you listen to a decent amount of music on your headphones and don't need closed headphones, get the HD6XX.

If it really is primarily gaming and you don't need closed headphones, get the HD58X. They're probably the best gaming headphone of the three.

All of them are quality headphones and I really do recommend all of them.
Thanks for the detailed input
Do you have an opinion on the 990 pros as well?

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
  • Caching to the SSD itself by writing the cache in SLC mode (so even if it's a QLC drive, you do an SLC write). Even TLC does this.

This one I had no idea about and is very interesting and makes a ton of sense.

Also I did notice when looking very thoroughly that some SSDs are openly marked 'DRAM-less' but often at no particular discount (hah).

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hello hoping you can help! My post has gotten lost in the PC build thread.

It's been ages since I've last built a PC so hoping for guidance with the build I have.

The PC primary purpose will be for gaming and there is no need for peripherals just the PC itself and my budget is roughly $1,500.

I intend to purchase an RTX3000 series GPU when they release later and need an interim GPU. In my 4+ year old rig I have an aging 980ti. Should I use that or would it be worth the upgrade to an RTX 2060 before plunging to the 3080ti that won't be available until Q4?

Saved Part Lists

No problem.

For the processor realistically a 3700X will reach within margin of error of a 3800X simply by enabling PBO, they boost within Mhz of each other, and it really isnt worth paying extra.

The cooler is also quite a beast of a cooler for an 8 core Ryzen chip you could go down to a Mugen Sycthe 5 or Dark Rock 4 (both are very quiet and perform well mated to a 3700X).

Everything else looks really good.
But If you are planning on jumping on a 3000 series GPU asap, you might as well hold on to your 980Ti.
It hasnt been completely wiped out just yet, and going to a 2060 simply to buy a 3000 series might not make much sense.
So you can save and have a 3000 series preordered as soon as they are ready, all the leaks point to these things being very very good.

Going from 980Ti to 2060 isnt a massive upgrade and certainly isnt worth it when you are going to be upgrading soon.

Assuming the 3000 drop before nextgen machines, youll never really be missing out, alittle more patience and youll have the generational upgrade everyone is waiting for.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Is there a website I can see optimized settings for my current rig? Or do I need to depend on GeForce Experience for this?

I would say even GFE isnt that great.
The best is actually to see what settings you are willing to give up on the hunt for frames.

There are some settings that have a high impact on performance but not much visually.
I know Digital Foundry sometimes have optimized settings when they do PC videos but thats not for all games, and GFE sometimes makes some really odd choices.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would I run into any issues if i used a Radeon HD 5770 in my new build (last card i bought lol). I'm getting a x570 board and a ryzen 3700x. I was going to buy a $230 1660 Super to hold me over until the 3000 series but kind of seems like a waste of money.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
I would say even GFE isnt that great.
The best is actually to see what settings you are willing to give up on the hunt for frames.

There are some settings that have a high impact on performance but not much visually.
I know Digital Foundry sometimes have optimized settings when they do PC videos but thats not for all games, and GFE sometimes makes some really odd choices.
Good to know.

Now that I have this new build I may be motivated to make an app/site for game settings. . I'd love to have a resource where you can lookup your GPU and config and see what configs other people are using instead of fiddling for two hours to get my desired result.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
It depends. Is that a Thunderbolt USB-C? Just USB-C? And is that an NVidia USB-C?

Basically, if the monitor is Thunderbolt, it's not going to work. If it's just USB-C *and* is a port that supports video-in (as opposed to purely a charging port) then you can plug-in a USB-C to USB-C cable and it will be seen as a DisplayPort device. Nvidia's Virtualink port will work like this. More info here.

(With USB4, by the way, it merges in Thunderbolt and we won't have this particular problem anymore...too bad it's still quite far away)
There is DisplayPort connection through USB C and Thunderbolt through USB C. Both carry video and are usually for connecting a laptop to a monitor, but it is either one or the other. While there has been GPUs with display port through USB C (I can at least recall a 1080ti model that had it), if what you have is a Geforce RTX card, then that's probably VirtualLink, not DisplayPort, and I'm not sure that works for a monitor.
I'm actually quite curious it it works with an RTX card, because that would be one convenient way to drive some of the newer Wacom Display Drawing Tablets using less cables.

Just chiming it that I tested this scenario today (RTX 2070) with USB C output to my monitor and it worked perfectly.

Reddline

Oct 27, 2017
No problem.

For the processor realistically a 3700X will reach within margin of error of a 3800X simply by enabling PBO, they boost within Mhz of each other, and it really isnt worth paying extra.

The cooler is also quite a beast of a cooler for an 8 core Ryzen chip you could go down to a Mugen Sycthe 5 or Dark Rock 4 (both are very quiet and perform well mated to a 3700X).

Everything else looks really good.
But If you are planning on jumping on a 3000 series GPU asap, you might as well hold on to your 980Ti.
It hasnt been completely wiped out just yet, and going to a 2060 simply to buy a 3000 series might not make much sense.
So you can save and have a 3000 series preordered as soon as they are ready, all the leaks point to these things being very very good.

Going from 980Ti to 2060 isnt a massive upgrade and certainly isnt worth it when you are going to be upgrading soon.

Assuming the 3000 drop before nextgen machines, youll never really be missing out, alittle more patience and youll have the generational upgrade everyone is waiting for.
Awesome thank you!

Question about the cooler you recommended, are you referencing the one with one fan or two fans for a 3700x set up?

Amazon.com: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B CPU Air Cooler, 120mm Single Tower, Intel LGA1151, AMD AM4/Ryzen: Computers & Accessories

Buy Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B CPU Air Cooler, 120mm Single Tower, Intel LGA1151, AMD AM4/Ryzen: CPU Cooling Fans - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases

or

Amazon.com: Scythe Scmg 5PCGH CPU Cooler Mugen 5 PCGH Edition: Computers & Accessories

Buy Scythe Scmg 5PCGH CPU Cooler Mugen 5 PCGH Edition: CPU Cooling Fans - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases

Tankshell

Nov 1, 2017
Despite the fact the 10900K is just around the corner I couldn't wait and just ordered the parts for my new rig, which will be a nice upgrade from my current 3/4 year old 6850K X99 build:

Intel 9900K
Asus z390-e
Corsair Vengeance 32Gb 3600 DDR4 RGB
Corsair H115i RGB Platinum
Corsair HX850i
EVGA 2080Ti (already have this in my current rig but was definitely CPU bound at 4K in some games)
2x Sabrent 1 Terabyte NVMe M.2 SSD
c700m

Should all be here this week, exciting. Maybe I will finally be able to hold 4K60 in DQXI lol

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Awesome thank you!

Question about the cooler you recommended, are you referencing the one with one fan or two fans for a 3700x set up?

Amazon.com: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B CPU Air Cooler, 120mm Single Tower, Intel LGA1151, AMD AM4/Ryzen: Computers & Accessories

Buy Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B CPU Air Cooler, 120mm Single Tower, Intel LGA1151, AMD AM4/Ryzen: CPU Cooling Fans - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases

or

Amazon.com: Scythe Scmg 5PCGH CPU Cooler Mugen 5 PCGH Edition: Computers & Accessories

Buy Scythe Scmg 5PCGH CPU Cooler Mugen 5 PCGH Edition: CPU Cooling Fans - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases

They are actually the exact same cooler just with one or two fans. And slightly different mounting hardware between versions.
Either version will work well enough, you can decide whether you want two or one fan.

From a perf and noise perspective id jump on a single fan for the 3700X it gets the job done amazingly and fights in a weight class it really shouldnt be.

Good to know.

Now that I have this new build I may be motivated to make an app/site for game settings. . I'd love to have a resource where you can lookup your GPU and config and see what configs other people are using instead of fiddling for two hours to get my desired result.

That would be an awesome app/site.
I pretty much end up needing to check settings on a per game basis because even settings between similar games have weird settings that work surprisingly differently.

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Also I did notice when looking very thoroughly that some SSDs are openly marked 'DRAM-less' but often at no particular discount (hah).

That's the pandemic marketplace. By MSRP they are probably discounted. But looking at PC prices online there are a lot of things not using MSRP anymore

Cyborg009

Oct 28, 2017
So I need a little help. After building my new PC I left my old parts lying around for my sister to build her PC. But when I was setting it up today When powered up the monitor I had connected wasn't turning on. So I stripped away mostly everything expect the power and it still doesn't show anything on the display. I made sure my monitor was connected correctly and even restarted the CMOS battery. I'm not sure what else I could do? this is a hb1m Asus motherboard.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
So I need a little help. After building my new PC I left my old parts lying around for my sister to build her PC. But when I was setting it up today When powered up the monitor I had connected wasn't turning on. So I stripped away mostly everything expect the power and it still doesn't show anything on the display. I made sure my monitor was connected correctly and even restarted the CMOS battery. I'm not sure what else I could do? this is a hb1m Asus motherboard.
Try a different cable/different connection, and maybe dif monitor if you have one for testing. On board video or integrated (if it has it)?

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
This is about as far as I've got with choosing components for a PC I want to build. I'm a complete noob as the gaming PC I currently own was already built when I bought it off a friend.

imgur.com

imgur.com

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

I'm looking to be able to play pretty much anything on Very High/Ultra at 1440p/60fps over the next couple of years, including pre-2020 titles. So bearing that in mind I got a few questions:

- Given what I'm looking to achieve, do the GPU and CPU I've chosen check out?
- Recommendations on what memory I should go for? I've got 24GB of DDR4 in my current PC so might just use some of that.
- How should I figure out my cooling solution for this? Aware that smaller cases show more risk
- Any red flags or schoolboy errors in the components I've already picked?

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
This is about as far as I've got with choosing components for a PC I want to build. I'm a complete noob as the gaming PC I currently own was already built when I bought it off a friend.

imgur.com

imgur.com

I'm looking to be able to play pretty much anything on Very High/Ultra at 1440p/60fps over the next couple of years, including pre-2020 titles. So bearing that in mind I got a few questions:

- Recommendations on what memory I should go for? I've got 24GB of DDR4 in my current PC so might just use some of that.
- How should I figure out my cooling solution for this? Aware that smaller cases show more risk

Yeah, a few.
  • You have an Intel Z390 motherboard. It only works with Intel CPUs. You need a B450M or X570 board to support the 3700X.
  • You have an ITX case (for tiny builds), but a full ATX motherboard. You need an ITX size motherboard to fit in that case.
  • You have a PW2 fan that likely won't fit in a Mini ITX case. You should research online about whether the case can take it.
  • 24GB of RAM is unbalanced and we would need to know the speed of it to understand if it's compatible or helpful. ITX boards only hold 2 memory slots, by the way.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017

imgur.com

imgur.com

You are going to have to play some games over the next couple years at 1080p to hold 60fps with that GPU, there are games out right now even that probably arent doable at 1440p 60.

Guybrarian

Jun 23, 2018
First of all, I want to thank you all for all of the help and advice that you give. I've been lurking in this thread awhile and love how willing to help everyone is.

I'm going to be an askhole here and ask everyone for their thoughts.

I currently have an i5 6500 paired with a gtx 1070. I'm getting the itch to upgrade. Been wanting to go AMD. For starters, I'm trying to decide between 3600x and 3700x.

I don't plan to overclock.

Just found that Newegg has a combo with a 3700x and an ASRock x470 Taichi. Thoughts? Good deal? This was one of the better boards from last year, right? I was thinking of going b450 because I really don't forsee myself needing the pcie 4.0. What else would I miss by not going x570 or b550? Maybe I'll regret that down the line? I already have G. Skill Ripjaws 2800 ram (that I currently have to run at 2133) so I'd finally be able to run that at full speed.

I'm happy with the 1070 for now, would upgrade that after the super (or ti) versions of the 3000 cards come out (assuming they do).

Thank you in advance for all of your help!

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, a few.
  • You have an Intel Z390 motherboard. It only works with Intel CPUs. You need a B450M or X570 board to support the 3700X.
  • You have an ITX case (for tiny builds), but a full ATX motherboard. You need an ITX size motherboard to fit in that case.
  • You have a PW2 fan that likely won't fit in a Mini ITX case. You should research online about whether the case can take it.
  • 24GB of RAM is unbalanced and we would need to know the speed of it to understand if it's compatible or helpful. ITX boards only hold 2 memory slots, by the way.

You are going to have to play some games over the next couple years at 1080p to hold 60fps with that GPU, there are games out right now even that probably arent doable at 1440p 60.

This is all useful information, thank you. Seems compatibility and maybe shelling out a bit more on a GPU are the big takeaways. Still got a lot of research to do and a lot to consider but I'll no doubt have more questions as I continue to look into this.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

imgur.com

imgur.com

Use the system builder on pcpartpicker, it lets you list everything out, will let you compare prices, and will alert you to potential compatibility issues.

System Builder

I also reference Logical Increments, which lists builds at different price points, what you can expect from them, and keeps parts mostly balanced (for instance, your CPU is fairly high end, but your GPU isn't, so you'll either be paying more for a CPU you aren't fully utilizing, or have a weaker graphics card). I would note though that they tend to recommend cheaper options for RAM, storage, and power supplies that you could spend a little more on for better benefits, while they also tend to recommend more expensive cases, heat sinks, and sometimes motherboards, while you can probably get by with a cheaper option.

www.logicalincrements.com

Logical Increments PC Buying Guide

Helping you build a PC, at any budget.

Last edited:

Cyborg009

Oct 28, 2017
Try a different cable/different connection, and maybe dif monitor if you have one for testing. On board video or integrated (if it has it)?
I have a onboard graphics.
Hmm I did and the test out the display and it's working fine with my working setup. One thing I did notice was that there's a few bent pins on the where the CPU would be place. But shouldn't it still boot to bios even with that issue?

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just got my sticks of 3200Mhz RAM to replace my old, non-rgb, memory. But I was wondering, can I leave the 2 old sticks in my machine and have 32Gb? From my knowledge, both ram are CL16. The only thing is the old memory is, I believe, only 2666MHz. I had it OC'ed to 3000MHz at one point. If I got it to 3200MHz, is there any reason why I couldn't run the 4 sticks?

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
I just got my sticks of 3200Mhz RAM to replace my old, non-rgb, memory. But I was wondering, can I leave the 2 old sticks in my machine and have 32Gb? From my knowledge, both ram are CL16. The only thing is the old memory is, I believe, only 2666MHz. I had it OC'ed to 3000MHz at one point. If I got it to 3200MHz, is there any reason why I couldn't run the 4 sticks?

If the timings (beyond CL) are different enough you could have problems. What is most likely to happen is everything has to obey the higher (worse) timings. You could try for 3200 but I suspect you would have trouble hitting that speed and the same timings unless it's a great Samsung B-Die kit.

Do I need to buy LED node for Corsair RGB case fans?

Corsair is a closed ecosystem so you need a Corsair controller for their fans. Usually 3 packs and motherboards come with a controller included. Anyway, here's the list of controllers.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
First of all, I want to thank you all for all of the help and advice that you give. I've been lurking in this thread awhile and love how willing to help everyone is.

I'm going to be an askhole here and ask everyone for their thoughts.

I currently have an i5 6500 paired with a gtx 1070. I'm getting the itch to upgrade. Been wanting to go AMD. For starters, I'm trying to decide between 3600x and 3700x.

I don't plan to overclock.

Just found that Newegg has a combo with a 3700x and an ASRock x470 Taichi. Thoughts? Good deal? This was one of the better boards from last year, right? I was thinking of going b450 because I really don't forsee myself needing the pcie 4.0. What else would I miss by not going x570 or b550? Maybe I'll regret that down the line? I already have G. Skill Ripjaws 2800 ram (that I currently have to run at 2133) so I'd finally be able to run that at full speed.

I'm happy with the 1070 for now, would upgrade that after the super (or ti) versions of the 3000 cards come out (assuming they do).

Thank you in advance for all of your help!
Yeah for sure get the 3700x if you wanted to go AMD. Also, that combo seems like a reasonably good deal to me if you're getting an X470 board. I've always liked ASRock. Yes the Tachi is one of their higher end boards. Though I don't know how it compares to the ASUS TUF X470. Good choices all around though.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
I have a onboard graphics.
Hmm I did and the test out the display and it's working fine with my working setup. One thing I did notice was that there's a few bent pins on the where the CPU would be place. But shouldn't it still boot to bios even with that issue?
Bent pins? it could easily be dead. Sometimes you can bend them back if you're careful and it'll work fine... but it might be DOA, can't really say without seeing it.

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Corsair is a closed ecosystem so you need a Corsair controller for their fans. Usually 3 packs and motherboards come with a controller included. Anyway, here's the list of controllers.

Thanks. Any RGB case fans recommendations? I have a Carbide 275r case that I wanna spruce up with some mood lighting, and I'm wondering what's most budget friendly. I'm thinking 2x140mm and 2x120mm fans total.

Side note:

I've had this acrylic/RGB GPU brace for the MAHOOSSIVE 2080ti and the RGB header on my mobo defaults it to cycling basic colours. It comes with a remote and a 4 pin molex controller in case you don't have addressable RGB headers, but I swear I must have thrown out the Perif/Molex cable from my PSU. What's the best course of action? Keep fiddling with Aurasync (I have an Asus Z390-P) or just get a molex connector and use the remote?

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Thanks. Any RGB case fans recommendations? I have a Carbide 275r case that I wanna spruce up with some mood lighting, and I'm wondering what's most budget friendly. I'm thinking 2x140mm and 2x120mm fans total.

Side note:

I've had this acrylic/RGB GPU brace for the MAHOOSSIVE 2080ti and the RGB header on my mobo defaults it to cycling basic colours. It comes with a remote and a 4 pin molex controller in case you don't have addressable RGB headers, but I swear I must have thrown out the Perif/Molex cable from my PSU. What's the best course of action? Keep fiddling with Aurasync (I have an Asus Z390-P) or just get a molex connector and use the remote?

Corsair? I'd stick in the ecosystem if you can. But if you want to go cheap, you can't stay there, so you'd need to look at DeepCool or Aigo or other chinese brands (cheap) or Cooler Master (mid priced). CM offers 5pin RGB products, DeepCool and Aigo etc you would have to doublecheck. Probably a mix of cheap and proprietary cheap. Phanteks also has some (relatively) cheap RGB products I believe, as well as the Halos which is an "add on" RGB kit for fans.

I started with Thermaltake which has really awesome visuals but also proprietary controllers, and then when I couldn't source those anymore I added some Cooler Master MF120 Halo fans along with a cheap CM 5pin PWM+RGB controller. The CM fans actually daisy chain but I would only want so much power draw through a daisy chain approach...eventually, a controller makes too much sense. (The CM one is cheap, anyway)

The cheap <> good looking range is pretty standard though. The cheapest fans usually only have a few LEDs, while the Corsair/thermaltake have up to 50 with 2-4 rings and huge amounts of blended color.

If you don't want to replace your existing fans I think the Phanteks RGB LED strip combo set is a pretty cool alternative. 2x400mm strips with blended colors and nice shaping stickers for hard corners. And magnetic housing for sticking to most cases.

Brace:
Honestly I'm still using Aurasync (I just deleted everything Armoury Crate and went with the Aura app instead). It has presets, it's easy enough to use...so for example you could keep using that and just use a controller like the CM one to add all of the extra fans or strips you need to it.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
Hi all, I am back thinking about my PC build after getting through the first weeks of the new normal and moving into our new house.

Good thing I didn't push the trigger earlier when I had the stuff in my shopping basket, because now that we are settled in our new "study" there actually is a good spot for a mid size tower. This means I have switched to ATX size and switched the goal from reasonably small to reasonably quiet. Also I've been thinking going X570 instead of B450 for a bit more future proof system.

This is what I got on my basket atm. Totals 1170€. There are probably some savings to be made by ordering from a few different shops, but probably not much as the Finnish shops seem to keep their prices pretty close.

MOBO: Asus PRIME X570-P
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
RAM: Kingston 16GB (2x8GB) HyperX Fury DDR4 3200MHz 459 €
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 1660 Super - DUAL EVO OC Edition 6GB GDDR6 273 €
HD: Samsung 1TB 860 QVO, 2.5" SSD, SATA III, MLC, 550/520 MB/S 129 €
CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 32 €
PSU: Corsair 750W RM750x, 80 Plus Gold 130 €
CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 - Black 145 €

Notes:

- Totals at 1170€.
- Probably some savings to be made by ordering from a few different shops, but probably not much as the Finnish shops seem to keep their prices pretty close.
- The MOBO, CPU and RAM are a bundle.
- Thinking going with the stock case fans for now and replacing / getting more a bit later.
- Ended up picking R6 because of aesthetics and the fan controller it comes with. The price seems a bit high though, but in the budget bracket the aesthetics seem to suffer a lot (also no windows please).

Questions:

- Any glaring problems?
- Any spots were I could look into savings? CASE? PSU? SSD?
- Thinking of getting a budget HD monitor and also hooking up the HD TV. Will this setup handle a 4K TV if/when we replace? Do I need to get a 4K monitor to go with the TV when the time comes?

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Brace:
Honestly I'm still using Aurasync (I just deleted everything Armoury Crate and went with the Aura app instead). It has presets, it's easy enough to use...so for example you could keep using that and just use a controller like the CM one to add all of the extra fans or strips you need to it.

Thanks for the reply. Any particular version of Aurasync you're using? Mine wouldn't even launch, and when it did, it wouldn't recognize the brace. I'm honestly at a loss with Aura.

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Hi all, I am back thinking about my PC build after getting through the first weeks of the new normal and moving into our new house.

Good thing I didn't push the trigger earlier when I had the stuff in my shopping basket, because now that we are settled in our new "study" there actually is a good spot for a mid size tower. This means I have switched to ATX size and switched the goal from reasonably small to reasonably quiet. Also I've been thinking going X570 instead of B450 for a bit more future proof system.

This is what I got on my basket atm. Totals 1170€. There are probably some savings to be made by ordering from a few different shops, but probably not much as the Finnish shops seem to keep their prices pretty close.

MOBO: Asus PRIME X570-P
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
RAM: Kingston 16GB (2x8GB) HyperX Fury DDR4 3200MHz 459 €
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 1660 Super - DUAL EVO OC Edition 6GB GDDR6 273 €
HD: Samsung 1TB 860 QVO, 2.5" SSD, SATA III, MLC, 550/520 MB/S 129 €
CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 32 €
PSU: Corsair 750W RM750x, 80 Plus Gold 130 €
CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 - Black 145 €

Notes:

- Totals at 1170€.
- Probably some savings to be made by ordering from a few different shops, but probably not much as the Finnish shops seem to keep their prices pretty close.
- The MOBO, CPU and RAM are a bundle.
- Thinking going with the stock case fans for now and replacing / getting more a bit later.
- Ended up picking R6 because of aesthetics and the fan controller it comes with. The price seems a bit high though, but in the budget bracket the aesthetics seem to suffer a lot (also no windows please).

Questions:

- Any glaring problems?
- Any spots were I could look into savings? CASE? PSU? SSD?
- Thinking of getting a budget HD monitor and also hooking up the HD TV. Will this setup handle a 4K TV if/when we replace? Do I need to get a 4K monitor to go with the TV when the time comes?
  • Typo? I can't imagine 16GB of RAM costing 459 euro, unless you were buying CL14 3600. Even 32GB should be cheaper...
  • Samsung 860 QVO is slow, but still fine for games. Personally I'd rather have a 1TB TLC NVMe. Way faster on write/read and no cables. But Samsung is quality so...whatever works for you. You won't see a gaming load time diff for now, but it could be an issue in a few years.
  • I assume you want the aesthetics of the R6, I would personally always go mesh (Fractal Meshify C, Phanteks P400A, even the new BeQuiet PureBase 500DX). Meshify has a windowless version, not sure about the others.
  • Based on that build your PSU is overpowered, but you can't save a lot there. 600W is more than enough for that build. Maybe 650W if you intend to get an RTX3000 card.
  • The other way to save money would be to downsize to an X470 or B450M motherboard. You'd lose PCIe4 and potentially Ryzen 4000 support, but not much else.
Thanks for the reply. Any particular version of Aurasync you're using? Mine wouldn't even launch, and when it did, it wouldn't recognize the brace. I'm honestly at a loss with Aura.

So when I first built this PC earlier this year, Windows automatically installed Armoury Crate off the internet (which I believe may have been caused by a UEFI setting). It never crashed so I just let it do its thing and ignored half of the app which is nonsense app recommendations. But it was causing flickering on my 5V ARGB channel, so I finally just

1) completely uninstalled Crate and the aura light service
2) found the aura sync app and installed that

And now...it's working? Just grabbed whatever one was online on Sunday. My MF120 Halos show up as "Addressable RGB Strip" but they behave.

I remember seeing a support post on the Asus forum that had a very detailed fix for most problems. It sounds tedious but if my current solution didn't work this is what I planned on doing next: link.

AquaRegia

Oct 25, 2017
[*]Typo? I can't imagine 16GB of RAM costing 459 euro, unless you were buying CL14 3600. Even 32GB should be cheaper...
I believe he said the cpu/mobo/ram was a combo.

I just now bought a very similar system (same cpu and gpu), and when researching with pcpartpicker.com it estimates 274W, so I went with a 500W supply. Many reviews I read also specifically noted the good performance of the stock cooler, so that's one savings that you can check out and switch later if you really wanted.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
  • Typo? I can't imagine 16GB of RAM costing 459 euro, unless you were buying CL14 3600. Even 32GB should be cheaper...
  • Samsung 860 QVO is slow, but still fine for games. Personally I'd rather have a 1TB TLC NVMe. Way faster on write/read and no cables. But Samsung is quality so...whatever works for you. You won't see a gaming load time diff for now, but it could be an issue in a few years.
  • I assume you want the aesthetics of the R6, I would personally always go mesh (Fractal Meshify C, Phanteks P400A, even the new BeQuiet PureBase 500DX). Meshify has a windowless version, not sure about the others.
  • Based on that build your PSU is overpowered, but you can't save a lot there. 600W is more than enough for that build. Maybe 650W if you intend to get an RTX3000 card.
  • The other way to save money would be to downsize to an X470 or B450M motherboard. You'd lose PCIe4 and potentially Ryzen 4000 support, but not much else.
I believe he said the cpu/mobo/ram was a combo.

I just now bought a very similar system (same cpu and gpu), and when researching with pcpartpicker.com it estimates 274W, so I went with a 500W supply. Many reviews I read also specifically noted the good performance of the stock cooler, so that's one savings that you can check out and switch later if you really wanted.

Thanks!

459 is for the MOBO/CPU/RAM bundle, but I can see I could have made it more clear. :)

Meshify and P4000A look a bit gamer-y to my eyes, but I'll check the PureBase and check the SSD and PSU again.

Edit. looks like out of those Meshify looks most appealing aesthetics vise. Picking that instead of R6 I would lose the fan controller? Would that be a big deal? To be honest connecting the fans in a way they can be controlled is the concept I am finding most difficult part of the process to grasp.

Last edited:

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Did some research and taking the advice from folks here (Thank you WestEgg Crazymoogle and MazeHaze!!!), thinking I've got the following components nailed down.

imgur.com

imgur.com

Everything looks to be compatible but I'm looking for any feedback or advice from people in the know on anything I should change? Playing most games at 1440p/60 is still the motive, but willing to concede to 1080p with some as next gen matures a little. Appreciate that the landscape over the next few years is still an unknown, though.

AquaRegia

Oct 25, 2017
Did some research and taking the advice from folks here (Thank you WestEgg Crazymoogle and MazeHaze!!!), thinking I've got the following components nailed down.

imgur.com

imgur.com

Everything looks to be compatible but I'm looking for any feedback or advice from people in the know on anything I should change? Playing most games at 1440p/60 is still the motive, but willing to concede to 1080p with some as next gen matures a little. Appreciate that the landscape over the next few years is still an unknown, though.
Does that board not support 3200Mhz RAM? I know between all the color, brand, and design choices sometimes it's easy to mix them up.

Edit: Any reason for the second 250GB SSD? I didn't think a separate OS drive was really needed anymore now that sizes have gone up.

Cream Stout

Oct 28, 2017
Finally got everything up and running on Saturday after 4 hours of windows troubleshooting lol. I'll get some pics of my PC when I get off of work. It's so nice to be able to play Modern Warfare at 1440p with stable fps. I can't wait to hook up to my OLED and mess around with RTX stuff on Metro Exodus and BFV

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Finally got everything up and running on Saturday after 4 hours of windows troubleshooting lol. I'll get some pics of my PC when I get off of work. It's so nice to be able to play Modern Warfare at 1440p with stable fps. I can't wait to hook up to my OLED and mess around with RTX stuff on Metro Exodus and BFV

Congrats! What are your specs?

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I am new to the PC space, having used an iMac the last 10 years. However I'm considering building a PC along these lines:

OHvoAUy.png

My main question is if there are any new products coming within the next 6 months that I should be waiting for, that would either supplement or replace any of the above? Since I'm unfamiliar with the PC world I'm not really sure and it's hard to search. I know I wouldn't need it, I just like to maximize my dollars.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
www.tomshardware.com

Rantopad MXX Mechanical Keyboard Review

Peripherals maker Rantopad is not exactly a household name, but its MXX line of mechanical keyboards clocks in at a reasonable price while still sporting a solid feature set.

ysJwFuWEavgDfg94RyuaDM-970-80.jpg

www.newegg.com

Rantopad MXX Mechanical Gaming Keyboard - 87 Keys,White Backlit, Blue Switches, Grey Aluminum Cover, N-Key Rollover - Newegg.com

Buy Rantopad MXX Mechanical Gaming Keyboard - 87 Keys,White Backlit, Blue Switches, Grey Aluminum Cover, N-Key Rollover with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Gateron Blue version is $30 on NewEgg, switches are swappable..

Last edited:

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I am new to the PC space, having used an iMac the last 10 years. However I'm considering building a PC along these lines:

OHvoAUy.png

My main question is if there are any new products coming within the next 6 months that I should be waiting for, that would either supplement or replace any of the above? Since I'm unfamiliar with the PC world I'm not really sure and it's hard to search. I know I wouldn't need it, I just like to maximize my dollars.

Yeah I think there are some pretty major upgrades on the horizon

- Ryzen 4000 is coming out in the next six months (15% ipc gains + frequency gains is the rumor)
- Nvidia Ampere is coming out in the next six months (rumors are all over the place but you can guarantee a card that beats the 2080ti)

If I were you I would at least wait until Nvidia makes product announcements in the next few weeks and then decide for yourself.

Oct 29, 2017

OHvoAUy.png

On May 14 there is an NVIDIA keynote where they may give dates for new GPUs. The event may just be talking about Profesional GPUs, but we also expect their new gaming GPUs to come out this year. It may not be anytime soon, but I would at least wait to see if there is any info given at this even next week.

Ryzen 4000 is also coming out this year, but you should be fine with a 3950X for a long time imo.

edit: Good lord, is that Corsair Carbide 275Q at $125 US? That was supposed to be a $90 case. Monitor availability and Case prices are out of control during the pandemic.

Edit 2: One thing I would suggest is getting 2x32GB of RAM instead of 4x16GB. Not only you leave open the possibility of expansion, it is sometimes cheaper to get 2x32 than 4x16. For instance: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3d...gb-2-x-32-gb-ddr4-3200-memory-bl2k32g32c16u4b

Last edited:

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Does that board not support 3200Mhz RAM? I know between all the color, brand, and design choices sometimes it's easy to mix them up.

Edit: Any reason for the second 250GB SSD? I didn't think a separate OS drive was really needed anymore now that sizes have gone up.

- It does actually so I'll change that. Is any higher than 3200 necessary?
- The Extra SSD is a precaution I guess, knowing how many games I have and will be buying over time. Is running PC games off of external drives common at all?

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think there are some pretty major upgrades on the horizon

- Ryzen 4000 is coming out in the next six months (15% ipc gains + frequency gains is the rumor)
- Nvidia Ampere is coming out in the next six months (rumors are all over the place but you can guarantee a card that beats the 2080ti)

If I were you I would at least wait until Nvidia makes product announcements in the next few weeks and then decide for yourself.
On May 14 there is an NVIDIA keynote where they may give dates for new GPUs. The event may just be talking about Profesional GPUs, but we also expect their new gaming GPUs to come out this year. It may not be anytime soon, but I would at least wait to see if there is any info given at this even next week.

Ryzen 4000 is also coming out this year, but you should be fine with a 3950X for a long time imo.

edit: Good lord, is that Corsair Carbide 275Q at $125 US? That was supposed to be a $90 case. Monitor availability and Case prices are out of control during the pandemic.

Edit 2: One thing I would suggest is getting 2x32GB of RAM instead of 4x16GB. Not only you leave open the possibility of expansion, it is usually cheaper to get 2x32 than 4x16. For instance: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3d...gb-2-x-32-gb-ddr4-3200-memory-bl2k32g32c16u4b
Perfect, thank you! I'll probably wait to give Apple one last chance to sway me at WWDC in June, then make my decision.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

imgur.com

imgur.com

- It does actually so I'll change that. Is any higher than 3200 necessary?
- The Extra SSD is a precaution I guess, knowing how many games I have and will be buying over time. Is running PC games off of external drives common at all?

For someone maximizing Framerate you should def be aiming for 3600 RAM.

And you really dont need two Samsung drives, get two Sabrent Rockets or any of the relatively highend NVMe on the X570 I Aorus maybe one of them a 4.0 and youll be really good to go.

The Mini GPUs usually have heat problems and current GPUs will pretty much boost as high as temperature will allow.
So getting a bigger one that can keep itself cool and is unlikely to wine at you is always a good investment. (The Zotac Mini is known to have coil wine).
Aiming for frames I would save on things like drives and pump that into RAM and GPU, the processor should be good for 60fps though.
RAM has been shown to help maximize framerates on Ryzen CPUs a bigger GPU is always an easy way to get some headroom when you are planning to run games at their max settings....especially at 1440p

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
For someone maximizing Framerate you should def be aiming for 3600 RAM.

And you really dont need two Samsung drives, get two Sabrent Rockets or any of the relatively highend NVMe on the X570 I Aorus maybe one of them a 4.0 and youll be really good to go.

The Mini GPUs usually have heat problems and current GPUs will pretty much boost as high as temperature will allow.
So getting a bigger one that can keep itself cool and is unlikely to wine at you is always a good investment. (The Zotac Mini is known to have coil wine).
Aiming for frames I would save on things like drives and pump that into RAM and GPU, the processor should be good for 60fps though.
RAM has been shown to help maximize framerates on Ryzen CPUs a bigger GPU is always an easy way to get some headroom when you are planning to run games at their max settings....especially at 1440p

I see intenal SSD's are pretty pricey on the high end. If I went for an internal SSD for the OS and then a good HDD for the bulk of my game storage, would that work out? Also took yoru advice and swapped in:

Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 16GB (2x8GB) 3600 MHz AMD Ryzen Tuned DDR4 Memory Dual Kit
Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI (AMD AM4) DDR4 X570 Chipset Mini-ITX Motherboard

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Edit. looks like out of those Meshify looks most appealing aesthetics vise. Picking that instead of R6 I would lose the fan controller? Would that be a big deal? To be honest connecting the fans in a way they can be controlled is the concept I am finding most difficult part of the process to grasp.

Your motherboard controls the fans. The Define R6 has an included fan hub that basically acts as a smart splitter so you can attach all of the fans to the hub and then the hub to the motherboard. (Usually managing the different fans from there requires software). Honestly, I don't think it's necessary unless you plan to have a lot of fans as a good motherboard should already have a variety of plugs. You can always buy a cheap 3-port PWM splitter if you need it.

Again, you'll probably have an easier time with NVMe since it's far smaller and can plug directly into the motherboard. Most of the work on the ITX is getting the cables routed.

Next problem: You need an SFX power supply on the Ophion. I don't know 100% for sure but if Gamers Nexus is using an SFX there...I'm not convinced an ATX would fit.