• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Hi all. Given the current situation we were thinking of just getting something prebuilt with our stimulus money this time around. I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on this https://www.amazon.com/Skytech-Lega...ords=skytech+gaming+pc&qid=1587959872&sr=8-18

I did a quick pcpartpicker build to try and match it. My final build price was within spitting distance of the prebuilt on display. We would prefer to save the legwork and skip the build process. Our close friend recommended skytech, does anyone have any experience with them? Leaning heavily toward this pc right now. If it seems like a complete scam or you have a better recommendation in mind, let us know.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Crucial just announced their own mainstream NVMe, the P5. 250/500/1TB/2TB, Gen3x4, Micron TLC. Consider this in the same tier as the Sabrent and ADATA.

Actually interested in this, their 2TB SATAs have reviewed well and kept step with some of the higher end ones. Really want more space on these drives though. As someone that uses a lot of data, the 2TB usual caps aren't enough. Im sure its getting there eventually, but faster please.

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Hi all. Given the current situation we were thinking of just getting something prebuilt with our stimulus money this time around. I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on this https://www.amazon.com/Skytech-Lega...ords=skytech+gaming+pc&qid=1587959872&sr=8-18

I did a quick pcpartpicker build to try and match it. My final build price was within spitting distance of the prebuilt on display. We would prefer to save the legwork and skip the build process. Our close friend recommended skytech, does anyone have any experience with them? Leaning heavily toward this pc right now. If it seems like a complete scam or you have a better recommendation in mind, let us know.

Well, at a glance I love that they are honest about the casee instead of rebranding. Didn't we have somebody complain about Skytech earlier though? (I think it was a problematic AIO pump build)

Anyway
  • Ryzen 3700X
  • 120mm AIO Cooler on the case exhaust
  • RTX 2070 SUPER (possibly MSI)
  • 500GB SSD
  • 16GB DDR4-3000
  • Motherboard of some kind with WiFi5
  • 6 RGB Fans (looks like a bottom exhaust case)
  • 800W 80+ Gold PSU
  • InWin 905 Case
  • Windows 10
A very brief pcpp build equivalent is around ~$1450? Anyway, my guess is the PSU is not modular, the RAM is the cheapest they could find, the motherboard...well, not much hope there. But pure specs wise it's a good gaming machine. DDR4-3000 won't hurt you much since it's the 2070 doing the heavy lifting. There's a ton of fans in there too. Probably not the quietest build as it's airflow constrained, but it should work.

I'm not excited by the build at all, but in theory it will work. I would do a quick skytech search though.

Actually interested in this, their 2TB SATAs have reviewed well and kept step with some of the higher end ones. Really want more space on these drives though. As someone that uses a lot of data, the 2TB usual caps aren't enough. Im sure its getting there eventually, but faster please.

You're basically waiting on Taiwan and Korea to hit 128 layer flash. The only way to increase capacity right now without killing speed (QLC or 5bit) is more layers. 128 layer products are coming end 2020 from Micron, and Samsung has begun work on 160. So it's not an automatic size jump as it would be with a die shrink, but should make 4TB a lot more feasible (the only 2280 4TB drives out there are extremely expensive, double-sided, 8 chip affairs, I believe)

The other interesting development is Optane alternatives, I think as a way to stop spamming SLC writes across the TLC chain. Samsung has Z-NAND and now Kioxia (formerly: Toshiba) and WD have XL FLASH. So I'd expect to see more of that in TLC drives next year.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Just ordered my sabrent 1TB m.2 drive for around ~100 bones brand new from Amazon. What a great time this has been ordering all my stuff -- really super! And a great, late b-day present for myself!!!1

Now I continue waiting.... Hopefully I will have my rig built by Tuesday!

Oct 27, 2017
Well, at a glance I love that they are honest about the casee instead of rebranding. Didn't we have somebody complain about Skytech earlier though? (I think it was a problematic AIO pump build)

Anyway
  • Ryzen 3700X
  • 120mm AIO Cooler on the case exhaust
  • RTX 2070 SUPER (possibly MSI)
  • 500GB SSD
  • 16GB DDR4-3000
  • Motherboard of some kind with WiFi5
  • 6 RGB Fans (looks like a bottom exhaust case)
  • 800W 80+ Gold PSU
  • InWin 905 Case
  • Windows 10
A very brief pcpp build equivalent is around ~$1450? Anyway, my guess is the PSU is not modular, the RAM is the cheapest they could find, the motherboard...well, not much hope there. But pure specs wise it's a good gaming machine. DDR4-3000 won't hurt you much since it's the 2070 doing the heavy lifting. There's a ton of fans in there too. Probably not the quietest build as it's airflow constrained, but it should work.

I'm not excited by the build at all, but in theory it will work. I would do a quick skytech search though.
Thanks for the input. Not sure if someone complained earlier about them or not, I don't follow this thread. Not sure why it would be Skytech's fault for a pump failing. So that doesn't really sway my trust in them and yeah that's about the cost I came up with as well. For about 150 dollars more, they do the legwork, build it and I get a 3 year protection plan through amazon. Feels like a pretty decent deal if I am honest. As for noise. I'm a headphone user with a large lasko fan in the room during the summer heat. I've also been using a PS4 all gen, so yeah. I think it will be fine. If this build doesn't excite you, maybe the amd radeon hd 5700 series I'm currently playing on would? lol

If anybody else has anything to add please let me know. I think I'm going to pull the trigger. Sorry if this was the wrong thread for this, just not sure where else I would have asked about it.

Last edited:

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Thanks for the input. Not sure if someone complained earlier about them or not, I don't follow this thread. Not sure why it would be Skytech's fault for a pump failing. So that doesn't really sway my trust in them and yeah that's about the cost I came up with as well. For about 150 dollars more, they do the legwork, build it and I get a 3 year protection plan through amazon. Feels like a pretty decent deal if I am honest. As for noise. I'm a headphone user with a large lasko fan in the room during the summer heat. I've also been using a PS4 all gen, so yeah. I think it will be fine. If this build doesn't excite you, maybe the amd radeon hd 5700 series I'm currently playing on would? lol

If anybody else has anything to add please let me know. I think I'm going to pull the trigger. Sorry if this was the wrong thread for this, just not sure where else I would have asked about it.
Just my take, I went prebuilt through a different company (cyberpower) ordered it on XMAS. I had to RMA the entire machine 3 timew, I finally got a refund last week (so over 4 months) and built a machine myself. For the same price I got the same spec build (its similar to the one you posted actually) but with an awesome evga modular psu, a better brand GPU, a top of the line 570 motherboard with all the frills you could want (even 3 nvme slots) and a great aftermarket cooler for the cpu.

In theory if a prebuild works its good, but the build took me 2 hours, was very easy and posted immediately. Im much less worried about issues because I could easily diagnose a part that goes bad now, and I have individual warranty for each component. I'd never buy a prebuild again.

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Feels like a pretty decent deal if I am honest. As for noise. I'm a headphone user with a large lasko fan in the room during the summer heat. I've also been using a PS4 all gen, so yeah. I think it will be fine. If this build doesn't excite you, maybe the amd radeon hd 5700 series I'm currently playing on would? lol

Well given all of that, sure, in your situation why not?. I'd just say that the PSU, RAM, SSD are cheapest tier. You'd want DDR4-3200 if possible. But if that's what you're playing with it should still be a good build. The muscle - 3700X and 2070S - are what really matter for frames and that's what you have. So nothing shocking or broken.

EDIT: I think in general in these situations I prefer to buy local if possible, simply to have a better service chain. But I realize in the US that can be kinda difficult these days...

Oct 27, 2017
Just my take, I went prebuilt through a different company (cyberpower) ordered it on XMAS. I had to RMA the entire machine 3 timew, I finally got a refund last week (so over 4 months) and built a machine myself. For the same price I got the same spec build (its similar to the one you posted actually) but with an awesome evga modular psu, a better brand GPU, a top of the line 570 motherboard with all the frills you could want (even 3 nvme slots) and a great aftermarket cooler for the cpu.

In theory if a prebuild works its good, but the build took me 2 hours, was very easy and posted immediately. Im much less worried about issues because I could easily diagnose a part that goes bad now, and I have individual warranty for each component. I'd never buy a prebuild again.
I was actually interested in building our own but my SO doesn't really want to. So yeah. I didn't win but maybe I can upgrade parts that I'm getting feedback on, specifically the ram. Part of the reason I am comfortable with this is that the close friend who recommended us this build is a computer technician who lives near by and I would trust them to figure out problems/fix it free of charge if we were unsure of what the problem was.
Well given all of that, sure, in your situation why not?. I'd just say that the PSU, RAM, SSD are cheapest tier. You'd want DDR4-3200 if possible. But if that's what you're playing with it should still be a good build. The muscle - 3700X and 2070S - are what really matter for frames and that's what you have. So nothing shocking or broken.

EDIT: I think in general in these situations I prefer to buy local if possible, simply to have a better service chain. But I realize in the US that can be kinda difficult these days...
I'd love to buy locally but I'm not really to knowledgeable in what's around me. I was almost exclusively playing on console from 2013 until now. In that time I moved states. Now with the coronavirus I'm really not interested in leaving the house. I would be interested in upgrading parts in the future for sure.

Fwiw, if we get it I will post what parts are in it and ask more questions about it probably.

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
I'd love to buy locally but I'm not really to knowledgeable in what's around me. I was almost exclusively playing on console from 2013 until now. In that time I moved states. Now with the coronavirus I'm really not interested in leaving the house. I would be interested in upgrading parts in the future for sure.

Fwiw, if we get it I will post what parts are in it and ask more questions about it probably.

Alright, well if you have a tech friend who recommended it, sounds good to go for you in your situation. I mean in all likelihood it will be just fine.

Robiin

Oct 26, 2017
So in summary: Depending on the difference in price, a choice of i9-9900 + B360 has a chance of being better value than either i9-9900K+Z390 or i7-9700K+z390.
Thank you for the input.
Plus in this specific case considering the original build they came up with is kinda meh, tinkering with power profile and thermal limit is likely out of their reach at the moment.
You are absolutely right regarding my knowledge level. I have been on a laptop for a few years but I need to start sitting at a proper desk because I start feeling it in my back sitting on a couch looking down at a screen every evening. Got temporarily laid off as well, which means I will probably have even more screen time which is not good for the back/neck situation.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Hi all, haven't been in these threads for some time but I require assistance once again!

My partner is setting up for a computer to work from home and play some games. The PC itself is pretty low specs (GTX 970, not sure what the CPU is) but for her purposes it should be ok. The thing we're really stuck on is a monitor.

I did check out the very helpful guide from the OP, but when browsing found that our options for something 27", 1440p and 144hz were $600+ (AUD). Now, I have an Acer monitor that I bought for like $540 three years ago and it's 27", 1440p and 144hz so spending so much seems strange to me. She's set on 27" and 1440p (for desktop space more than game resolution), I guess 144hz is something that could be sacrificed but it seems silly to spend so much on something without it.

Anything that was under $600 seemed to be TN or 1080p or something was wrong with it. Based on the guide in the OP, TN seems like a bad move.

The other option we thought of was that I upgrade and she gets my current monitor. But for me an upgrade would be to 4k or HDR and both are over $900 AUD which is just too much.

Are we potentially missing something here or are those our options?

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hi all, haven't been in these threads for some time but I require assistance once again!

My partner is setting up for a computer to work from home and play some games. The PC itself is pretty low specs (GTX 970, not sure what the CPU is) but for her purposes it should be ok. The thing we're really stuck on is a monitor.

I did check out the very helpful guide from the OP, but when browsing found that our options for something 27", 1440p and 144hz were $600+ (AUD). Now, I have an Acer monitor that I bought for like $540 three years ago and it's 27", 1440p and 144hz so spending so much seems strange to me. She's set on 27" and 1440p (for desktop space more than game resolution), I guess 144hz is something that could be sacrificed but it seems silly to spend so much on something without it.

Anything that was under $600 seemed to be TN or 1080p or something was wrong with it. Based on the guide in the OP, TN seems like a bad move.

The other option we thought of was that I upgrade and she gets my current monitor. But for me an upgrade would be to 4k or HDR and both are over $900 AUD which is just too much.

What exactly are you surprised by?

That 144Hz+1440p 27" plus monitors are expensive?
That you bought a niche monitor years ago and today niche monitors are still expensive?
Thats like saying you bought a xx70 years ago and it cost almost 500, you wanted to buy a 2070 today and it cost almost 500' *gets shocked!

What am I missing that you think you are missing?
Expensive things are expensive....settle for 60 or 75Hz or 95Hz and call it a day.
1440p144Hz at larger sizes will always be pricey because its pretty niche still.
Ive been waiting for 32" 1440p144Hz for years now....then the pandemic hit and it looks like ill have to wait till 2021 for a 32" 1440p144HzIPS.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
What exactly are you surprised by?

That 144Hz+1440p 27" plus monitors are expensive?
That you bought a niche monitor years ago and today niche monitors are still expensive?
Thats like saying you bought a xx70 years ago and it cost almost 500, you wanted to buy a 2070 today and it cost almost 500' *gets shocked!

What am I missing that you think you are missing?
Expensive things are expensive....settle for 60 or 75Hz or 95Hz and call it a day.
1440p144Hz at larger sizes will always be pricey because its pretty niche still.
Ive been waiting for 32" 1440p144Hz for years now....then the pandemic hit and it looks like ill have to wait till 2021 for a 32" 1440p144HzIPS.
The difference with the card comparison is that a 2070 would run games better than the previous GPU, whereas I'm saying a monitor with the same specs as one I bought a few years ago is now more expensive than back then.

eEK!

Dec 25, 2018
The difference with the card comparison is that a 2070 would run games better than the previous GPU, whereas I'm saying a monitor with the same specs as one I bought a few years ago is now more expensive than back then.
I seems like mainstream monitors are all targeting higher resolutions over refresh rates, so you'll need to look at less than 120hz monitors to find anything cheaper.

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia

Honestly, I've been using 144hz panels for the last 6 years, and I still have a GTX970 on my current build. It's not really about "can you hit 144fps", but simply that the monitor updates more, your movement is smoother, and if you have Freesync, you can eliminate tearing and generally have a better experience. (Also, if you're doing WFH, a bright IPS panel with good viewing angles is just a superior work experience).

That being said:
  • Worldwide product inventory is very challenged, so especially on Amazon prices may be out of whack and many things are just OOS
  • The top tier manufacturers are particularly expensive. In Singapore I would usually look at Prism+, in AUS I'm not too sure on the best dealers but I know Pixio sells worldwide on eBay.
  • I do see a variety of ~$600 AUD panels on eBay, even Samsung, with free shipping, so maybe that's an option.
  • In general I would recommend a local big dealer since they are bound to have good inventory. Have you tried PC Case Gear? (not that...aware of what the big AUS guys are) Is NewEgg australia any good?
EDIT: ah, obviously you are posting a link from PCCG...is your cap $700 or you want to go significantly under?

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

3 Years isnt that long but are you sure the tech is exactly the same?
Alot of the good 1440p144Hz screens are now IPS or VA, which is a much better technology for color and vibrancy than TN which was the norm.
And the Australian dollar has gone to shit over the last few years.....I was in Australia for like 7 years from 2010, the Aus dollar was pretty nice and the pay was handsome.....then it kinda just started taking a dive and looks like it hasnt stopped freefalling since.

Ok so what would be a decent upgrade from this? (Acer XG270HU) https://www.pccasegear.com/products/31957

Keeping in mind I don't want to spend over $700 AUD if I can avoid it.

Anything with IPS or a good VA instead of TN would be an upgrade to that screen.

Some options in order of my preference - They are all IPS by the way, im a firm believer in IPS when it comes to higher refresh rates:

LG UltraGear 27GL850 - Probably the best bang for buck monitor out there, fast, nano-IPS and relatively kindly priced.
ASUS TUF VG27AQ - Good performance, very kindly priced.
Gigabyte Aorus FI27Q - HDR support(its not great) and ticks all the boxes you could really ask for.
ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q - The ROG below the TUF? Yes indeed.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I thought I might as well ask here.

My PC is acting real weird. Ever since valorant crashed 2 days ago, my PC takes really long to shut down.

First it turned off my monitor and lights on kb/m while still running for 5 mins+
I managed to find the problem there by deactivating some quick start feature for windows 10.

Now I can actually see the PC has problems shutting down. It tries to for several minutes, then gives me one of those messages with a giant sad smiley saying there are problems and the system tries to find the problem and reboot. Everytime its' at roughly 50 or 60%, the PC just shuts off instantly.

I have a hunch the infamous valorant anti cheat messed something up when the game crashed, but I can't prove it obviously.

Can anybody help me out here?

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Can you find the ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD in stock anywhere over there? or the LG 27GL83A ?

Right now is super hard to find any of these monitors in the US.

ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD - Shopping and Price Comparison Australia - Buy Cheap

Shop for ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD and compare ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD prices. Find the best deals on Australia's tech price comparison shopping site

Was a little harder finding the LG one.

Honestly, I've been using 144hz panels for the last 6 years, and I still have a GTX970 on my current build. It's not really about "can you hit 144fps", but simply that the monitor updates more, your movement is smoother, and if you have Freesync, you can eliminate tearing and generally have a better experience. (Also, if you're doing WFH, a bright IPS panel with good viewing angles is just a superior work experience).

That being said:
  • Worldwide product inventory is very challenged, so especially on Amazon prices may be out of whack and many things are just OOS
  • The top tier manufacturers are particularly expensive. In Singapore I would usually look at Prism+, in AUS I'm not too sure on the best dealers but I know Pixio sells worldwide on eBay.
  • I do see a variety of ~$600 AUD panels on eBay, even Samsung, with free shipping, so maybe that's an option.
  • In general I would recommend a local big dealer since they are bound to have good inventory. Have you tried PC Case Gear? (not that...aware of what the big AUS guys are) Is NewEgg australia any good?
EDIT: ah, obviously you are posting a link from PCCG...is your cap $700 or you want to go significantly under?

This is very helpful information thank you! And yeah PCCG has always been my go to. For a good enough monitor I'd go up to $700 but would rather something closer to $500 if at all possible.

3 Years isnt that long but are you sure the tech is exactly the same?
Alot of the good 1440p144Hz screens are now IPS or VA, which is a much better technology for color and vibrancy than TN which was the norm.
And the Australian dollar has gone to shit over the last few years.....I was in Australia for like 7 years from 2010, the Aus dollar was pretty nice and the pay was handsome.....then it kinda just started taking a dive and looks like it hasnt stopped freefalling since.

Anything with IPS or a good VA instead of TN would be an upgrade to that screen.

Some options in order of my preference - They are all IPS by the way, im a firm believer in IPS when it comes to higher refresh rates:

LG UltraGear 27GL850 - Probably the best bang for buck monitor out there, fast, nano-IPS and relatively kindly priced.
ASUS TUF VG27AQ - Good performance, very kindly priced.
Gigabyte Aorus FI27Q - HDR support(its not great) and ticks all the boxes you could really ask for.
ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q - The ROG below the TUF? Yes indeed.

Also good info, thanks!

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia

My PC is acting real weird. Ever since valorant crashed 2 days ago, my PC takes really long to shut down.

First it turned off my monitor and lights on kb/m while still running for 5 mins+
I managed to find the problem there by deactivating some quick start feature for windows 10.

Now I can actually see the PC has problems shutting down. It tries to for several minutes, then gives me one of those messages with a giant sad smiley saying there are problems and the system tries to find the problem and reboot. Everytime its' at roughly 50 or 60%, the PC just shuts off instantly.

I have a hunch the infamous valorant anti cheat messed something up when the game crashed, but I can't prove it obviously.

Well, it's always tough when it comes to PC troubleshooting, but in general you have to assume it's a software problem.So that means finding event viewer (a default windows app) to see what error/critical messages you see (open Custom Views to see Administrative Events) There are a lot of entries but you're basically just looking for stuff that matches the timestamp of your last shutdown.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

Check your Event Viewer for anything interesting.
It should atleast help you narrow down what may be going on.
Chances are it will reveal some program of file thats causing issues

>On win10 just type Event Viewer into the start menu and it should show up
Let it read all the events and you should see events at the times that your system was giving you issues.
Report back what you find and someone in here is bound to have an idea how to fix it.

<--- Doesnt have Valorant, so itll be impossible for me to replicate scenarios if that is whats causing problems.

P.S If your Start Menu is as temperamental as mine is was before I )#*@^$ it, you can find the Event Viewer by going:
Start --> Windows Administrative Tools ----> Event Viewer

Or

Control Panel --> System and Security
Under Administrative Tools, View Event Logs should be there.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, it's always tough when it comes to PC troubleshooting, but in general you have to assume it's a software problem.So that means finding event viewer (a default windows app) to see what error/critical messages you see (open Custom Views to see Administrative Events) There are a lot of entries but you're basically just looking for stuff that matches the timestamp of your last shutdown.
Check your Event Viewer for anything interesting.
It should atleast help you narrow down what may be going on.
Chances are it will reveal some program of file thats causing issues

>On win10 just type Event Viewer into the start menu and it should show up
Let it read all the events and you should see events at the times that your system was giving you issues.
Report back what you find and someone in here is bound to have an idea how to fix it.

<--- Doesnt have Valorant, so itll be impossible for me to replicate scenarios if that is whats causing problems.

P.S If your Start Menu is as temperamental as mine is was before I )#*@^$ it, you can find the Event Viewer by going:
Start --> Windows Administrative Tools ----> Event Viewer

Or

Control Panel --> System and Security
Under Administrative Tools, View Event Logs should be there.
I mean those aren't solely from the shut-down period, but:

I get hundreds of "DistributedCOM" Errors it seems. No idea what that means. 100s is no hyperbole by the way. They seem to sometimes occur at the same time, or within seconds and minutes from each other.

One is Critical saying "Kernel-Power", from today as well.
Multiple Warnings, too.

System is running (supposedly) fine by the way, only causes issues on shutdown.

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
This is very helpful information thank you! And yeah PCCG has always been my go to. For a good enough monitor I'd go up to $700 but would rather something closer to $500 if at all possible.

I didn't know AUD was so much worse than SGD...ouch. That plus...I dunno, something, is really increasing the price of those panels. I can get a great 144hz IPS for $450 or less SGD...so I suppose I would be sure to look closely at eBay/NewEgg, just in case there are big price discrepancies.

Personally I would still go for IPS, even 100hz to me is better than TN. Beyond that a scan of PCCG tells me that if you want 1440p144, VA is the cheapest path forward. Either that or go IPS but 1080p144. IPS 1440p144 is mostly in the 800+ range as you said. I think there are a few IPS 75hz panels out there but I'd be worried that their freesync ranges suck...

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I mean those aren't solely from the shut-down period, but:

I get hundreds of "DistributedCOM" Errors it seems. No idea what that means. 100s is no hyperbole by the way. They seem to sometimes occur at the same time, or within seconds and minutes from each other.

One is Critical saying "Kernel-Power", from today as well.
Multiple Warnings, too.

System is running (supposedly) fine by the way, only causes issues on shutdown.

In event viewer local.
Check the ones which are Critical and Error.

The Warning ones usually arent that bad. DistributedCOM you can usually ignore without really worrying about anything.

Kernal Power is almost always from a bad shutdown, like you held down the powerbutton, a power cut, or your PSU not providing enough....but if it was the power supply you would have other symptoms

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know AUD was so much worse than SGD...ouch. That plus...I dunno, something, is really increasing the price of those panels. I can get a great 144hz IPS for $450 or less SGD...so I suppose I would be sure to look closely at eBay/NewEgg, just in case there are big price discrepancies.

Personally I would still go for IPS, even 100hz to me is better than TN. Beyond that a scan of PCCG tells me that if you want 1440p144, VA is the cheapest path forward. Either that or go IPS but 1080p144. IPS 1440p144 is mostly in the 800+ range as you said. I think there are a few IPS 75hz panels out there but I'd be worried that their freesync ranges suck...
I didn't know my current monitor was TN until I checked earlier tonight, it has made me more willing to spend more as before I thought it wouldn't have been much of an upgrade.

AUD has always been shit but I don't know if Covid has made it significantly more expensive with regards to PC parts or not.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Any recommendations to which Sata SSD to purchase? I saw that Samsung has a QVO and EVO line. Looking for at least 2TB storage and i dont know if the the EVO is worth 100€ more for the same storage size as the QVO.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

What he said. ^

But VA 1440p high refresh rate monitors arent all that great right now and alot of them you are relying heavily on luck of the draw, most of them once in the high framerate ranges have issues so IPS and TN are realistically the best bet.

I would totally rather have an IPS than VA regardless of refresh rate.

Also to add with the 75Hz IPS screens, most if not all can be CRU'd to do 38 - 76 FreeSync which will let them use LFC at lower rates.
IF your PC is failing to make 38fps maybe its time to drop the resolution and some settings realistically.

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
For people waiting on DDR5 (spoiler: 2022 for AMD)

Gamers Nexus says 2022, but just a reminder that it could very well be "holiday 22" just as Ryzen 4000 is "holiday 21". It's hard to say with the effect of the pandemic how much schedules will stretch, but for now it could mean anything from "holiday" to "summer". Samsung is not expected to produce much until 2021 so I wouldn't be too hopeful for Holiday 21, but it is at least possible.

I didn't know my current monitor was TN until I checked earlier tonight, it has made me more willing to spend more as before I thought it wouldn't have been much of an upgrade.

Ah yeah, if you're okay with TN then it's an option for sure. Still would prefer VA or IPS myself but certainly you can get a high level TN panel in that price range.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In event viewer local.
Check the ones which are Critical and Error.

The Warning ones usually arent that bad. DistributedCOM you can usually ignore without really worrying about anything.

Kernal Power is almost always from a bad shutdown, like you held down the powerbutton, a power cut, or your PSU not providing enough....but if it was the power supply you would have other symptoms
Oh the other poster said administrative.

On local I had 124 Errors in the last 24 hours, 1 critical, the kernel-power one. And yeah, the bad shut down occured, I am aware of that haha. It shut down in the middle of the troubleshooting process windows started without me doing anything.
There's also some Errors regarding Kernel-Eventtracing if that helps.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
AUD has always been shit but I don't know if Covid has made it significantly more expensive with regards to PC parts or not.

TN has gotten alot better and is still the go to for people hunting the absolute pinnacle of speed and response.
But for balance IPS is king, fast enough for twitch gaming really good colors and there are high refresh models available.
Going from old TN to IPS will be like someone just washed your eyes.

Oh the other poster said administrative.

On local I had 124 Errors in the last 24 hours, 1 critical, the kernel-power one. And yeah, the bad shut down occured, I am aware of that haha. It shut down in the middle of the troubleshooting process windows started without me doing anything.
There's also some Errors regarding Kernel-Eventtracing if that helps.

Administrative will show you everything, I figured you wouldnt need to read every single warning and informational, rather look for things that actually cause problems.

Find the Error and Critical ones then double click them to get a read out of what the error actually is.
It should give you an exact error code which will make it easy* to find.

*Nothing is ever easy.
Any recommendations to which Sata SSD to purchase? I saw that Samsung has a QVO and EVO line. Looking for at least 2TB storage and i dont know if the the EVO is worth 100€ more for the same storage size as the QVO.
Prices are slightly outta whack right now, but the Crucial MX500 is a really good deal 90% of the time, if you have a brick and mortar near you and they stock it likely their prices havent changed too much and it will be a kind price still.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Administrative will show you everything, I figured you wouldnt need to read every single warning and informational, rather look for things that actually cause problems.

Find the Error and Critical ones then double click them to get a read out of what the error actually is.
It should give you an exact error code which will make it easy* to find.
Well the local still shows 124 errors in 24 hours lol. Kinda hard. The ciritcals are all from failed shutdowns. I seemingly had some before this too, but the last ones were the ones where the system took so long and then aprubtly shuts down anyway. I'm not sure what kind of info I'm getting out of these logs that I didn't know before tbh. I'm really bad at this stuff. Like yeah, the system had failed shutdowns. I'm aware of that lol.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Prices are slightly outta whack right now, but the Crucial MX500 is a really good deal 90% of the time, if you have a brick and mortar near you and they stock it likely their prices havent changed too much and it will be a kind price still.
Oh nice its a TLC SSD and around 70€ cheaper. Thanks for the suggestion!

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Well the local still shows 124 errors in 24 hours lol. Kinda hard. The ciritcals are all from failed shutdowns. I seemingly had some before this too, but the last ones were the ones where the system took so long and then aprubtly shuts down anyway. I'm not sure what kind of info I'm getting out of these logs that I didn't know before tbh. I'm really bad at this stuff. Like yeah, the system had failed shutdowns. I'm aware of that lol.

124 errors in the past 24 hours?
Ignoring the Critical power shutdowns.

What are the actual errors you are getting?

We might even be barking up the wrong tree, but easier to narrow things down.
Your error read outs should look like this:
CjXp87o.jpg

Check the details of whats going wrong where.

P.S Dont mind my Origin going crazy, thats just what Origin does.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
124 errors in the past 24 hours?
Ignoring the Critical power shutdowns.

What are the actual errors you are getting?

We might even be barking up the wrong tree, but easier to narrow things down.
Your error read outs should look like this:
CjXp87o.jpg

Check the details of whats going wrong where.

P.S Dont mind my Origin going crazy, thats just what Origin does.

Edit: Ahhh one below that. The summary one. Well. It only shows the criticals now. The same ones as before. 11 of them. All Kernel-Power, all say (rough translation) "the system has been rebooted without properly being shut down. This can occur when the system didnt respond, crashed or power was cut off unexpected"

Like...yeah. I know that xD. Not sure what I'm supposed to look for here. The event ID? The category? None of that stuff is telling me much. What I do know is that these Kernel-Power problems seem to have occured way before I got these shutdown issues though. They line up with when I booted up and shut down the PC in the last few days as well though. Like, yesterday I went out over the day, so it was the shutdown there (which took ages again. I still didn't figure out to disable quick startup from windows there, so the PC kept running without anything else being on). The time where I booted it up again when I came back shows a critical too.

What's interesting is it doesn't show a critical for when I shut it down yesterday evening, when I disabled the MS quick startup where it shut down in the middle of the MS troubleshoot.

Today it showed a critical again when booting up. Does the system think I'm restarting the PC even though I'm just normally shutting down and booting it up?

Those are the only things that get shown when in the summary page by the way, since you asked for anything besides the shutdown errors.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

System Builder

So here is where I am at.

Need to decide on what to do with the motherboard. Was thinking the x570 would be future proof but it's so expensive. Still not sure what to do with the GPU

Option 1: Get a $230 1660 Super until new cards. Will cause bottleneck
Option 2: Buy friends used 1080ti for $350
Option 3: Buy 2770 Super and not think about it for a good year+

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

System Builder

Need to decide on what to do with the motherboard. Was thinking the x570 would be future proof but it's so expensive. Still not sure what to do with the GPU

A used 1080ti for $350 is a great deal. I'd definitely go that route.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

System Builder

1080 ti at $350 is a no brainier.

Deleted member 9290

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm curious why someone with a ryzen 7 3700X should buy a psu with more than 650w?

Isn't 650w enough whatever gpu you stuff in?

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hey folks! I've done 2 builds before, but both were fairly budget, and it's been a while. I'm looking to build something a little more serious this time around, with the following considerations:

• My main monitor is 1080p and I'm fairly happy with that. However, I do have a 4K HDR tv that I wouldn't mind hooking a pc up to occasionally if the option was available. But in general, if I can get something that can play at good frame rates and settings at 1080p, I'll be happy.
  • I'm somewhat interested in VR, mainly the Valve Index, but will likely not invest in this in a while, and consider this a secondary consideration for the build. It may even be worth me lowballing the GPU now and upgrading later if price drops are expected in the near future.
  • For games in general, I don't really play many graphically demanding games on PC (I have an Xbox One X for couch gaming), and stick to games like Civilization, Rimworld, and sometimes MMOs. I do have Gamepass Ultimate though and wouldn't mind playing around with some of it's PC library. I'm also interested in some of the Sony games coming to PC eventually like Death Stranding, Horizon, and FFVIIR.
  • I'm mostly interested in something that would be good for video editing and streaming. I've streamed in the past and mostly stick to console games, especially Switch games. I already have an external capture card, a Hauppauge HD PVR 60, which has worked well enough in the past but I'm not really fond of the software it uses and it has some heavy lag, so I'd like to probably upgrade to something else. I use OBS right now, and if there's something that integrates directly into instead of needing to capture from a window that would be great.
Here's what I'm looking at currently, mostly using the logical increments "Superb" tier as a guide, but going a little larger on the storage and not going for the aftermarket HSF as I don't intend to overclock (though if you think I should reconsider, let me know).

System Builder

I'm wanting to keep the budget for the build itself between 1,000 and 1,500 USD, though I have a little wiggle room if needed. I'm happy with my microphone, webcam, mouse, monitors, and keyboard, so I'm not worried about the peripherals other than the aforementioned capture card. In the past, I have also bought Windows OS keys from resellers to save money, but if there is a legal or safety reason I should avoid doing that this time around, let me know.

Thanks!

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017

System Builder

Yeah, it's a tough one. I get why people still go with a 2070 Super today. But then you really ought to be satisfied with it for a few years. You don't want to be buying either option 1 & 2 if you can't sell them later. But if you think you could sell that 1080ti on Ebay later, esp if your friend still has the original packaging, then that might be the most palatable option.

Once the new cards become available to purchase I can't imagine that the resell market on the 2070 Super is going to be very hot. MAYBE $300-ish? I think the 1-2yr rental would be cheaper with the 1080ti.

1080 ti at $350 is a no brainier.
Depending on the brand, yeah. Like I might not buy a Gigabyte, and definitely not a Zotac, with all of the problems I've read. Often times when they're going that cheap, that's what they are.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
How do we feel about the Acer Nitro XV273K? I have decided to just go a little above my budget so I can get 4K and IPS like I actually need. I know I won't be happy with a lower res monitor with a bigger screen than my retina for work.

From what I can tell it should be pretty good for what I need, HDR seems to be the weakest point because of a lack of local dimming but that is fine. I just need 4K and IPS so I can have close to the pixel density I am used to.

Last edited:

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do you have fast boot enabled? (Check Power Options -> Choose What the Power Buttons Do)
Fast boot will cause more headaches than normal if you ever uncleanly shutdown, and totally unnecessary if you have Windows on an SSD.
No i disabled that yesterday after 2 days of the PC running after shutdown while everything else (monitor, mouse/kb) was already off. After I disabled it, it didn't change the time the PC needed to shut down, but the monitor stayed on, and I could see there was a troubleshooting process happening by windows.

The second hard shut down solved the problem. No idea which program was keeping my PC up with the normal shutdown, but I'm glad it stopped.

And yeah I have Windows on an NVMe M.2 lol

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's a tough one. I get why people still go with a 2070 Super today. But then you really ought to be satisfied with it for a few years. You don't want to be buying either option 1 & 2 if you can't sell them later. But if you think you could sell that 1080ti on Ebay later, esp if your friend still has the original packaging, then that might be the most palatable option.

Once the new cards become available to purchase I can't imagine that the resell market on the 2070 Super is going to be very hot. MAYBE $300-ish? I think the 1-2yr rental would be cheaper with the 1080ti.

Depending on the brand, yeah. Like I might not buy a Gigabyte, and definitely not a Zotac, with all of the problems I've read. Often times when they're going that cheap, that's what they are.
It's a MSI.
https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GAMING-GTX-1080-TI/dp/B06XVG7M23

not sure the reliability but he does have the box.