• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some guidance would be appreciated.
I'm looking to basically build this but some items are out of stock. Also open to suggestions. Going to use it for gaming and work. Would like to eventually play Half Life VR. Never used a liquid cooler but I'm guessing I need to with the small size case. Also open to storage change suggestions.

Pcpartpicker.com/list/hrtBWb

Robiin

Oct 26, 2017
Get a Ryzen 7 3700X + MSI or ASUS TUF X570. Upgrade your RAM to DDR4 3200 or 3600. Ditch the SSD for a Western Digital Blue SN550 or Samsung 970 EVO if it's within your budget.
Thanks.

Upgraded the RAM (3200) and SSD (970 EVO).

My local store only had Intel CPU, so got the i7-9700K.

Thank you very much again for tips.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
My apologies, I couldn't find a better thread to post this in-

I have Dell G7 7790 laptop, and can't find a clear recommendation as to which SSD to buy as an upgrade. I think
Samsung (MZ-V7S1T0B/AM) 970 EVO Plus SSD will work, but also saw conflicting info as to if the full speed will be usable?
Out of principle ill never recommend a 970 Evo Plus unless its on a good sale.

Im slightly confused maybe you can clarify for me.
Your Laptop the G7 7790 has 2 drives in it, an M.2 SSD and 2.5 SATA HDD.
Are wanting to upgrade the SSD or are you upgrading the HDD to an SSD?

Ill answer as fully as I can with limited knowledge anyway.
Here goes:

For the M.2 you have a 2280 M.2 port which will allow the most popular M.2 sizes, so pretty much any Gen 3 M.2 SSD will do the trick.
My suggestions any of these SSD will be great for a kind price too:

Sabrent Rocket 1TB.
WD Blue 1TB.
Adata SX8200.
The Samsung drives are overpriced.

As for people telling you, that you wont get full speed....thats because your laptop supports PCIE Gen 3x2 and Gen3x4.
In Gen 3x2 mode it will not be as fast as in Gen 3x4 mode.
The Sabrent Rocket is Gen 3x4 dont worry about it.

As for if you are planning on upgrading the 2.5 HDD to an SSD.
The Crucial MX500 is a really good 2.5 drive thats often on sale for a 1TB or 2TBs

We still don't know much about B550 and what's gimped about it. Sure, it has PCIe 4.0, but can it overclock as well as the X570? Does it support SLI? There are still many things not said.

It almost certainly wont support SLI.
As for overclockability......which Ryzen have you be overclocking on a 200 dollar board?
If you are "cheaping" out on a board you are likely not hunting down the last frame on the CPU front either.
They will be fine to run anything Ryzen right now.
The Tomahawk B450 manages to handle 3900s I see no reason the B550s would have a problem.

But again for people who are looking for entry level CPUs they will be looking to B550 not X570 as that overclocking headroom isnt really needed this generation.
I havent seen anyone who is realistically manually overclocking their 3600Xs....and the people ive seen OC'ing 3700Xs are doing it to effectively make them 3800s.
Once you are talking to people buying 3900s and 3950s the B450s and B550s arent looking so attractive cuz likely they need those extra M.2 slots, switches and clrcmos button and all.....so they skip straight to midrange X570.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looking for some advice. Been tinkering on my PC during the quarantine and flushing/rebuilding my cooling loop, replacing my multiple rads with a single extra large rad and general simplifying but wondering if an aftermarket waterblock for a 2080ti would be worth looking into. I currently have an Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce that the stock hoses cracked on me long ago. I ended up removing the stock lines and looping the card into my main loop, keeping the pump and running it in series. My current concern is that it seems to be the bottleneck in my system since the inlet/outlet are a good deal smaller than my current loop hose. However, Im not really getting all that warm. System hovers low 30's at idle and unless benching, generally hovers mid to upper 60's. So as I typed this all out I guess I really have 2 questions

1: Would a aftermarket waterblock be worth while? or..

2: Is there something new coming down the pipe relatively soon that I could/should wait for?

Appreciate the input.
I'm a few weeks out from putting an EK waterblock on my 2080 Ti FE myself. I feel like it'd be good to see it no longer hit 80-ish degrees routinely, and if I get a small performance bump, all the better. I'll probably upgrade to the 3080 Ti whenever that drops and I'll just get an EK block for that and do the upgrade.

Runwhiteboyrun

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
For the M.2 you have a 2280 M.2 port which will allow the most popular M.2 sizes, so pretty much any Gen 3 M.2 SSD will do the trick.
My suggestions any of these SSD will be great for a kind price too:

Sabrent Rocket 1TB.
WD Blue 1TB.
Adata SX8200.
The Samsung drives are overpriced.

As for people telling you, that you wont get full speed....thats because your laptop supports PCIE Gen 3x2 and Gen3x4.
In Gen 3x2 mode it will not be as fast as in Gen 3x4 mode.
The Sabrent Rocket is Gen 3x4 dont worry about it.

Sorry, it was for upgrading the SSD to a larger one. Thank you very much for the info, I appreciate it.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some guidance would be appreciated.
I'm looking to basically build this but some items are out of stock. Also open to suggestions. Going to use it for gaming and work. Would like to eventually play Half Life VR. Never used a liquid cooler but I'm guessing I need to with the small size case. Also open to storage change suggestions.

Pcpartpicker.com/list/hrtBWb
I'm also using a dual AiO setup in a similarly sized ITX case (Fractal Define Nano S) and I absolutely love how quiet it is. People are really sleeping on those EVGA Hybrid cards due to the price, but they are so much unbelievably quieter than air cooled cards that it is ridiculous. Everyone always gets AiO coolers for their CPU and then lets their GPU blast off to orbit, I'll never understand it. I will always go for the AiO on the GPU if the choice is one or the others. There are plenty of quiet air coolers for CPU's, but every air-cooled (high end) GPU gets loud under load.

For the record though, your case (and mine) aren't exactly "small" in ITX terms. They're far easier to work in than the boutique cases though. You're not getting 2 radiators in those without doing a custom loop.

Last edited:

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
As for overclockability......which Ryzen have you be overclocking on a 200 dollar board?

Well, my ASRock Taichi x370, which I picked up for under $200, is the same board I'm rocking now for my 3900x. Sure, it's an x370 and it's old, but it still kicks ass and I haven't had any reason to upgrade yet. Though that MSI x570 Tomahawk is looking nice.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
I need to stop looking at Build a PC Sales. All it does is make my hold out more unbearable by missing some good deals.
Oh yeah, it's dangerous. I bought a 1TB SATA SSD for only $39.99 from a sale posted on there 10 days ago. We'll see if I actually receive the item instead of having to open up a dispute bc it seems like a pricing error. The tracking# is a duplicate number with no detailed info. But I contacted the seller and they said that the item is already en route so we'll see.

If you camp out on the buildapcsales Subreddit and refresh it a few times a day every time you're at you're computer it's amazing what kind of deals you can stumble upon every now and then. I've bought about half of my PC parts thanks to that resource. I pretty much keep one tab open and F5 it all the time, bc the killer deals are usually gone in minutes.

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm also using a dual AiO setup in a similarly sized ITX case (Fractal Define Nano S) and I absolutely love how quiet it is. People are really sleeping on those EVGA Hybrid cards due to the price, but they are so much unbelievably quieter than air cooled cards that it is ridiculous. Everyone always gets AiO coolers for their CPU and then lets their GPU blast off to orbit, I'll never understand it. I will always go for the AiO on the GPU if the choice is one or the others. There are plenty of quiet air coolers for CPU's, but every air-cooled (high end) GPU gets loud under load.

For the record though, your case (and mine) aren't exactly "small" in ITX terms. They're far easier to work in than the boutique cases though. You're not getting 2 radiators in those without doing a custom loop.
Any suggestions on how to tweak or bring cost down? I would like to be under 1400

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any suggestions on how to tweak or bring cost down? I would like to be under 1400
3700X instead of 3800X to save a few dollars for negligible performance difference. Ditch the two SSD's -- maybe go with a single 2TB HP 950 for now. You can add more storage later if you really need it.

I'd avoid the Enermax AiO too... maybe it's fine, but I know some of their older models had weird issues. Just spend the extra 12 bucks for the NZXT X52. It'll match your case better anyway, which will matter somewhat since there is a window.

To really save, downgrade GPU to the cheapest 1660 Super you can find. It's going to sting when the Nvidia Ampere cards release this year and you've just spent nearly $600 for a liquid cooled 2070S. You could just get a cheap 1660S for $220 or so and then upgrade to the EVGA Hybrid 3070 when it launches. If you're still using a 1080p display, this is unquestionably the route you should take.

Last edited:

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Looking for some advice. Been tinkering on my PC during the quarantine and flushing/rebuilding my cooling loop, replacing my multiple rads with a single extra large rad and general simplifying but wondering if an aftermarket waterblock for a 2080ti would be worth looking into. I currently have an Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce that the stock hoses cracked on me long ago. I ended up removing the stock lines and looping the card into my main loop, keeping the pump and running it in series. My current concern is that it seems to be the bottleneck in my system since the inlet/outlet are a good deal smaller than my current loop hose. However, Im not really getting all that warm. System hovers low 30's at idle and unless benching, generally hovers mid to upper 60's. So as I typed this all out I guess I really have 2 questions

1: Would a aftermarket waterblock be worth while? or..

2: Is there something new coming down the pipe relatively soon that I could/should wait for?

Appreciate the input.

What does "system" refer to? What are your temps for the card on load, benching or otherwise?

Deleted member 25834

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Man upgrading to a Ryzen chipset and doing a fresh install is frustrating.

I keep getting the clock_watchdog_timeout BSOD. Apparently fixable via a windows update, but I have to now download the latest windows 10 iso and then run the bootable usb setup... All while crossing my fingers that the machine doesn't lockup and show me the BSOD again.

FML

Edit: Just as I was mentioning this. It froze.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
Ended up deciding to sell my old rig and start fresh.

Is now a good time to build, while still waiting for a video card with ampere? I still want to play league and some basic games if possible, though it might be worth waiting if refreshes are coming. I've been out of the building loop for a few years now!

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ended up deciding to sell my old rig and start fresh.

Is now a good time to build, while still waiting for a video card with ampere? I still want to play league and some basic games if possible, though it might be worth waiting if refreshes are coming. I've been out of the building loop for a few years now!
Everything is about to refresh this year, but you could get a cheaper Ryzen CPU + the new B550 motherboard (or even B450 I believe is confirmed ) and upgrade to a 4000 series CPU later on. Same socket as the upcoming series.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
Everything is about to refresh this year, but you could get a cheaper Ryzen CPU + the new B550 motherboard (or even B450 I believe is confirmed ) and upgrade to a 4000 series CPU later on. Same socket as the upcoming series.
Is AMD comparable to Intel now in terms of gaming performance? Reception seems a lot more positive than just a few years ago. I might just hold out and use my work MacBook til the refresh but I'm not sure.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is AMD comparable to Intel now in terms of gaming performance? Reception seems a lot more positive than just a few years ago. I might just hold out and use my work MacBook til the refresh but I'm not sure.
Intel is still #1 for pure gaming performance, but AMD gets very close and is far faster at heavily multi-threaded, general computing tasks. Since AMD is so much cheaper they have overtaken Intel as the dominant choice for new builds. They are outselling Intel by a large margin right now.

They also have the benefit of usually not requiring a new motherboard when new CPU's come out. That's why many are going with inexpensive Ryzen 5 3600 + B450 builds right now.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
Intel is still #1 for pure gaming performance, but AMD gets very close and is far faster for multi-threaded, general computing tasks. Since AMD is so much cheaper they have overtaken Intel as the dominant choice for new builds. They are outselling Intel by a large margin right now.

They also have the benefit of usually not requiring a new motherboard when new CPU's come out. That's why many are going with inexpensive Ryzen 5 3600 + B450 builds right now.
Ahh gotcha. I'll likely go AMD then unless Intel's new series blows me away. I'm still used to deciding between an i7 and i5 and the game seems to have changed a good bit since then.

Slack Attack

Oct 28, 2017
Man upgrading to a Ryzen chipset and doing a fresh install is frustrating.

I keep getting the clock_watchdog_timeout BSOD. Apparently fixable via a windows update, but I have to now download the latest windows 10 iso and then run the bootable usb setup... All while crossing my fingers that the machine doesn't lockup and show me the BSOD again.

FML

Edit: Just as I was mentioning this. It froze.
Are the Ryzen CPUs known to cause issues with fresh windows installs or something?

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
are 2tb nmve drives still super expensive for any reason?
Yeah. It was reported several months ago that the cost of flash memory was going up from the manufacturers, and it did. But it has plateaued since Jan. too. So yeah, they've been much more expensive than they were during the holidays. I'm mad that I didn't buy my Inland Premium 1tb when it was only $99.99 because they are $129.99 and not coming down off of it. The 2 tb was as cheap as $210 at one point and now it's been holding steady at $239.99. Other brands cost even more. There used to be a bunch of sales on the 3.0 Sabrent Rockets but I don't think I've seen that once this year. The prices on the PCIe 4.0 nVME drives haven't come down at all either.

People will tell you to get a budget 2tb model like the Intel 660p for ~$210-ish. But the faster drives with the good flash memory were about that price from Thanksgiving to Christmas. It's been annoying.

PhantomFFR

Oct 25, 2017
Vienna, Austria, EU, Earth
(Just quoting you for reference)

I'm fairly sure your CPU is a non K version which runs on lower clocks, and can't be overclocked, is also terribly priced. The B360 is in general used with much lower end CPUs, surely not an i9. I'd say, return this if you can, rebuild something more balanced like a Ryzen 3900X + X570, or 9900K+Z390 if you really want to stick to Intel.

This is more on an academical note, but price aside, the clockspeed difference when turboing is only 100 mhz (in any state), I'm not sure if OC considerations should carry a very heavy weight given the OC-potential without extraordinary cooling of those chips in the first place. And if you are not going to OC anyway the Z series offers little over the B360/H370 (12 more PCIe lanes that are probably going to go unused anyway, more USB 3.1 ports).

The one thing, that you might however experience is a lower sustained boost, but that can apparently (Reddit; LTT Forum) be remedied by setting the power allowance higher in the UEFI (or perhaps even the Intel OC utility.

So in summary: Depending on the difference in price, a choice of i9-9900 + B360 has a chance of being better value than either i9-9900K+Z390 or i7-9700K+z390.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The other day I was thinking "how are 1TB SSDs so cheap? I bought a Samsung 840 Evo 1TB just the other day and that was $399 with a great sale." Turns out that was actually 6 years ago. Time fucking flies.

Duck Sauce

Oct 30, 2017
United States
I love it when you're the reason one of your friends got into PC gaming but he suddenly thinks he's the computer "expert" when deciding parts for his roommate. He also still doesn't know how to actually build a PC but rather have microcenter build it. He actually takes pride in this. Loves bragging about not actually not knowing how to do it.

Dude wanted his roommate to get a 3800x with the "cheapest" motherboard he could find. Also wanted to cheap out on his power supply. I sent links to the recommneded builds here and some links to youtube channels with 1K budgets videos. Won't listen.

I have no idea why he even invites me to google hangouts when he doesn't even listen. Dude can't even install chipset drivers. I told them good luck and have fun spending $200 bucks on letting microcenter build it. He thought that $200 bucks comes with a windows license as he doesn't remember paying for it when they built it.

Just venting here but holy shit is he the dumbest person I have ever met.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
I love it when you're the reason one of your friends got into PC gaming but he suddenly thinks he's the computer "expert" when deciding parts for his roommate. He also still doesn't know how to actually build a PC but rather have microcenter build it. He actually takes pride in this. Loves bragging about not actually not knowing how to do it.

Dude wanted his roommate to get a 3800x with the "cheapest" motherboard he could find. Also wanted to cheap out on his power supply. I sent links to the recommneded builds here and some links to youtube channels with 1K budgets videos. Won't listen.

I have no idea why he even invites me to google hangouts when he doesn't even listen. Dude can't even install chipset drivers. I told them good luck and have fun spending $200 bucks on letting microcenter build it. He thought that $200 bucks comes with a windows license as he doesn't remember paying for it when they built it.

haha

That's wonderful.

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
He thought that $200 bucks comes with a windows license as he doesn't remember paying for it when they built it.

Usually when this happens its because they installed Windows to make sure the build works, and most people aren't aware that you can use windows without a license and it will hardly even nag you for 30 days. 😆 "Free Windows!"

Slack Attack

Oct 28, 2017
I'm looking to put together a new partial build since my i5-4670K and GTX 970 are just barely limping me through Warzone on 1080p. Just planning on updating the CPU/mobo right now while I wait for the Nvidia 3070 drop later this year (hopefully). At this point, my PC is struggling to even open various menus and display the after-match report in Warzone without significant chop so I'm thinking my CPU is overdue.

I have settled on a Ryzen 3700x as I'm thinking I should be able to hold onto it for the next 3-4 years for some 1440p/144hz action.

My question is then this:
As I have absolutely no desire to overlock the 3700x at any point in its life and have absolutely no desire to upgrade to the Ryzen 4000 series later this year, what motherboard tier should I be looking to pair with it?

Is an MSI B450 Tomahawk adequate or should I be looking into a X570 motherboard?

Thank you!

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017

fantastic

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
3700X instead of 3800X to save a few dollars for negligible performance difference. Ditch the two SSD's -- maybe go with a single 2TB HP 950 for now. You can add more storage later if you really need it.

I'd avoid the Enermax AiO too... maybe it's fine, but I know some of their older models had weird issues. Just spend the extra 12 bucks for the NZXT X52. It'll match your case better anyway, which will matter somewhat since there is a window.

To really save, downgrade GPU to the cheapest 1660 Super you can find. It's going to sting when the Nvidia Ampere cards release this year and you've just spent nearly $600 for a liquid cooled 2070S. You could just get a cheap 1660S for $220 or so and then upgrade to the EVGA Hybrid 3070 when it launches. If you're still using a 1080p display, this is unquestionably the route you should take.

Thanks. Made some changes based on your suggestion. I do think the 1660 for now would be better as I have a 1080p monitor but plan to buy a new one later. Not sure what to do with the motherboard as the it is sold out and the only other 570 is the Asus for $340
Pcpartpicker.com/list/VNp8sk

would put me around 1400 and I could upgrade my GPUs sometime later this year.

Duck Sauce

Oct 30, 2017
United States
You are friends with the dumbest person you ever met? ;)
But more to the point, I'm curious, what was his choice of components that you alluded to?

Yeah that makes me look bad but I'm using the term loosely, it's actually my best friend's cousin LOL.

I'm not exactly sure as they revised it a couple times with out me but for certain I only know the CPU (3800x) and the video card (Zotac 2070 super) on a 1K budget.

I'll follow up in a week to see what the abomination's specs are.

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Crucial just announced their own mainstream NVMe, the P5. 250/500/1TB/2TB, Gen3x4, Micron TLC. Consider this in the same tier as the Sabrent and ADATA.

As I have absolutely no desire to overlock the 3700x at any point in its life and have absolutely no desire to upgrade to the Ryzen 4000 series later this year, what motherboard tier should I be looking to pair with it?

Is an MSI B450 Tomahawk adequate or should I be looking into a X570 motherboard?

MSI Tomahawk Max. Easy. Only reason to go to X570 is if you want upgradeability or potentially PCIe gen4, but let's be honest, for your next 3-4 years you are 100% fine with an awesome B450 board like the T Max.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
(Just quoting you for reference)

This is more on an academical note, but price aside, the clockspeed difference when turboing is only 100 mhz (in any state), I'm not sure if OC considerations should carry a very heavy weight given the OC-potential without extraordinary cooling of those chips in the first place. And if you are not going to OC anyway the Z series offers little over the B360/H370 (12 more PCIe lanes that are probably going to go unused anyway, more USB 3.1 ports).

The one thing, that you might however experience is a lower sustained boost, but that can apparently (Reddit; LTT Forum) be remedied by setting the power allowance higher in the UEFI (or perhaps even the Intel OC utility.

So in summary: Depending on the difference in price, a choice of i9-9900 + B360 has a chance of being better value than either i9-9900K+Z390 or i7-9700K+z390.
If it's considerably below MSRP, like sub $350 it's probably OK. At $400+ they are much better off with a 3900X.

Plus in this specific case considering the original build they came up with is kinda meh, tinkering with power profile and thermal limit is likely out of their reach at the moment.

Last edited:

Raydonn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking to put together a new partial build since my i5-4670K and GTX 970 are just barely limping me through Warzone on 1080p. Just planning on updating the CPU/mobo right now while I wait for the Nvidia 3070 drop later this year (hopefully). At this point, my PC is struggling to even open various menus and display the after-match report in Warzone without significant chop so I'm thinking my CPU is overdue.

I have settled on a Ryzen 3700x as I'm thinking I should be able to hold onto it for the next 3-4 years for some 1440p/144hz action.

My question is then this:

Thank you!
If you did want a PCI-e gen4 board, I would recommend the MSI X570 Tomahawk. Budget priced(relatively) X570 with great VRMs/thermals.
It's not out yet, but soon! Should be around $200 USD.

Slack Attack

Oct 28, 2017
Crucial just announced their own mainstream NVMe, the P5. 250/500/1TB/2TB, Gen3x4, Micron TLC. Consider this in the same tier as the Sabrent and ADATA.

MSI Tomahawk Max. Easy. Only reason to go to X570 is if you want upgradeability or potentially PCIe gen4, but let's be honest, for your next 3-4 years you are 100% fine with an awesome B450 board like the T Max.

Cheers, thank you! I appreciate you offering your expertise! MSI Tomahawk Max it is.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
friend wants to sell me 1080ti for $350. Are these cards still worth it?
Yes, if you weren't planning on upgrading to something high-end anytime soon. That's a decent deal. But I'd also try to find out WHY he's selling that card first. If he's upgrading then great. But people also tend to unload old cards when they have problems with cooling or coil whine.

OTTH, whenever the RTX 3060 comes out, it will very likely rival that card in the $300+ range as well as have raytracing capabilities. But I don't think the '60 is on the docket for the first initial run of 3000 cards and it's scheduled to come at a later time. So it will be awhile.

Buy it if you need it. If you don't, then I'd wait.