• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yep the blue ones are the ones being used.
20200423-232926.jpg

Okay I think this is right...

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phanteks P400A RGB Black was back in stock on Newegg so I grabbed it. Hyped af about it. Traveling in a few weeks to help my grandma and uncle move and in the process grab all my shit I left with them when I moved away, which includes my old PC. Gonna cannibalize some parts (AX1200 PSU, 1060 6GB, 24TB of hard drives) then buy a 3600x, new mobo, and 16GB of DDR4. Gonna use the money I save to buy a nice monitor. I really want a AW3420DW, but I'll only do that if congress sends out another stimulus check (since I'm still working I don't need it to survive).

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. IPS adds an extra $200 - $300 bucks

That's what I figured since I couldn't find anyting better than LG 27GL850-B 27.0 with IPS. I'm starting to think it might just be worth waiting a little longer so I can put the money down on a 4k display like I actually want. I think I'll regret not having a more pixel dense display or being able to view 4k native.

I have about 600-700 for the monitor so I should really just hold off until I can get something like the Acer XV273K Pbmiipphzx 27.0" 3840x2160 144 Hz Monitor.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
That's what I figured since I couldn't find anyting better than LG 27GL850-B 27.0 with IPS. I'm starting to think it might just be worth waiting a little longer so I can put the money down on a 4k display like I actually want. I think I'll regret not having a more pixel dense display or being able to view 4k native.

I have about 600-700 for the monitor so I should really just hold off until I can get something like the Acer XV273K Pbmiipphzx 27.0" 3840x2160 144 Hz Monitor.
At this point yeah..I recommend holding off on a 4k monitor. Especially since we are about to see a fidelity bump in about 6 to 8 months. With DDR5, Nvidia 3000 series, New NVMe types and such...

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
I ordered a few new parts to upgrade my PC a little more until next-gen comes around.

I got a ryzen 5 1600AF and RX 5500 XT. Upgrading from a 2400g lol.
16GB of DDR4 3000, 256GB NVME SSD, 2x 700ish GB HDDs, and a 550w PSU. This should do me well until the end of the year.

Ordered it Tuesday night and paid for 2-day shipping (said it'd get here by Friday). Now it's saying it'll get here Monday. Ruined my weekend plans. :( I know, I know, COVID-19 and all but still sucks.

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
I think I can fit all 3 140mm thermal fans in this beast. and still have room for a PSU shroud for the bottom. Of course Im theorizing without any actual numbers. But looking at the top. It looks doable. Theres alot of space int here.

What's the case? I can look for info.

looking at that bottom diagram...are the DIMMs socketed inside slots 1, 3, 5 and 7? It looks a little confusing...

Yes. It's the blue slots. Per the diagram, 1 and 5 are the outside most slots. So you fill 1,3 on the left, 7, 5 on the right. This is also good for heatsink coolers because vacating the nearest slot gives room for the big ones.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
What's the case? I can look for info.

Yes. It's the blue slots. Per the diagram, 1 and 5 are the outside most slots. So you fill 1,3 on the left, 7, 5 on the right. This is also good for heatsink coolers because vacating the nearest slot gives room for the big ones.

NZXT Phantom 630 Full tower

I plan to fill all the slots eventually.

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
NZXT Phantom 630 Full tower

I plan to fill all the slots eventually.

Wow, it's an EATX full tower. Like a block of granite.
  • FRONT: 1x200mm, 2x140mm, or 2x120mm
    Basically, the drive trays can slide back so you can even fit a 280mm radiator if you want.

• TOP: 3x120mm, 2x140mm, or 2x200mm
    It's just a guess but it looks like if you go past 2x120mm then the top 5.25" bay is inaccessible. If you did a 360 radiator I'm not sure if the second slot is affected (sandwich of radiator+fans)

• SIDE: 1x200mm fan
    I don't think 120/140 is possible

• REAR: 1x140mm, 1x120mm
    140mm on the back of a case is already lol

• BOTTOM: 2x120mm or 2x140mm
    Not sure what the implications here would be, it's really not clear where the fans would go from the photos.
So yeah, you could buy the Thermaltake Riing Trio 200mm fan or Quad 200mm fan for 200mm slots, although I believe they only sell those individually.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Wow, it's an EATX full tower. Like a block of granite.
  • FRONT: 1x200mm, 2x140mm, or 2x120mm
    Basically, the drive trays can slide back so you can even fit a 280mm radiator if you want.

• TOP: 3x120mm, 2x140mm, or 2x200mm
    It's just a guess but it looks like if you go past 2x120mm then the top 5.25" bay is inaccessible. If you did a 360 radiator I'm not sure if the second slot is affected (sandwich of radiator+fans)

• SIDE: 1x200mm fan
    I don't think 120/140 is possible

• REAR: 1x140mm, 1x120mm
    140mm on the back of a case is already lol

• BOTTOM: 2x120mm or 2x140mm
    Not sure what the implications here would be, it's really not clear where the fans would go from the photos.
So yeah, you could buy the Thermaltake Riing Trio 200mm fan or Quad 200mm fan for 200mm slots, although I believe they only sell those individually.
Those 200mm Quad T Riing Trio seems to be the right width I would need because its wiiide. You got a link for the 200mm TT Riing fans? I can't find them on my normal parts sites.

That should give you a good idea of how the fans or radiators fit on the bottom.

Would just 1 controller be able to manage the 3 200mm fans? Or would a controller come with each fan?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Those 200mm Quad T Riing Trio seems to be the right width I would need because its wiiide. You got a link for the 200mm TT Riing fans? I can't find them on my normal parts sites.

That should give you a good idea of how the fans or radiators fit on the bottom.

Yeah, but it seems like you need to remove the drive cage?

Anyway, Thermaltake has two products (well, 3)
  • Riing Plus (old, not really sold anymore, 12 LEDs)
  • Riing Trio (recent) 30 LEDs, 3 LED rings -- two outer, one inner
  • Riing Quad (newest) 54 LEDs, 4 LED rings -- basically they outer and inner rings are double-layered.
It sounds like with Riing Quad they have introduced support for connecting to Razer Chroma, even with the pack-in controller, but if you want motherboard level RGB control you need to buy the optional TT Sync controller.

Anyway, some limitations: because of the power draw of having so many LEDs, you are limited to 5 fans per controller and I believe they don't always play well if you try to mix Quad and Trio. The TT SYNC controller has 9 plugs...I have some concern over whether it could really power 9 Riing Quad fans though. Unclear.

I previously bought my fans either on Amazon (though a quick look there says both trio and quad 200mm are out of stock) or locally through my region's store apps (Lazada, Shopee) Regional apps draw from stock of the independent PC companies so they tend to have what I need.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, but it seems like you need to remove the drive cage?

Anyway, Thermaltake has two products (well, 3)
  • Riing Plus (old, not really sold anymore, 12 LEDs)
  • Riing Trio (recent) 30 LEDs, 3 LED rings -- two outer, one inner
  • Riing Quad (newest) 54 LEDs, 4 LED rings -- basically they outer and inner rings are double-layered.
It sounds like with Riing Quad they have introduced support for connecting to Razer Chroma, even with the pack-in controller, but if you want motherboard level RGB control you need to buy the optional TT Sync controller.

Anyway, some limitations: because of the power draw of having so many LEDs, you are limited to 5 fans per controller and I believe they don't always play well if you try to mix Quad and Trio. The TT SYNC controller has 9 plugs...I have some concern over whether it could really power 9 Riing Quad fans though. Unclear.

I previously bought my fans either on Amazon (though a quick look there says both trio and quad 200mm are out of stock) or locally through my region's store apps (Lazada, Shopee) Regional apps draw from stock of the independent PC companies so they tend to have what I need.
Do it look like I can position 3 200mm Quads in front of the drive cage? Arranging on top of each other in a row like wall config?

Amazon only have the quad in 140mm. Do you think I can fit 3 200mm in there?

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
At this point yeah..I recommend holding off on a 4k monitor. Especially since we are about to see a fidelity bump in about 6 to 8 months. With DDR5, Nvidia 3000 series, New NVMe types and such...

Yeah but Im building my first PC and I edit 4k footage at least once a week. Im going to a lower resolution on a much bigger display if I don't go 4k.

I'm not quite sure yet what I'll do. I'm just worried I may regret getting a 1440p 27inch as it's sub 100 PPI and Im used to 200+ everyday on my 2880x 1800 retina.

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Do it look like I can position 3 200mm Quads in front of the drive cage? Arranging on top of each other in a row like wall config?

Amazon only have the quad in 140mm. Do you think I can fit 3 200mm in there?

From the Anandtech and Guru reviews it seems pretty clear you can only do 1x200, 2x140 or 2x120 front. You'd have to take off the front of the case and root around to be sure, but I get the impression 3x120 is only possible on the top, and the nature of the 5.25" drive cage is such that there are no fan mounts up there.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
From the Anandtech and Guru reviews it seems pretty clear you can only do 1x200, 2x140 or 2x120 front. You'd have to take off the front of the case and root around to be sure, but I get the impression 3x120 is only possible on the top, and the nature of the 5.25" drive cage is such that there are no fan mounts up there.
Damn. Well shit, thats me trying to be greedy. That top drive rack cant come off either. I think I'll just go with 2 Quad Riing 140mm fans on the front intake then and get rid of all the front 3.5 HDD drive bays. I'm not gonna need em anymore. Gonna do full SSD bays on the inside housing behind the mobo.

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Same, I hope it's a far cry from the PS4 and PS4 Pro.

Given how they went into detail on the power delivery solution (not exceeding a budget across the APU) I would be shocked if it still has blower sound problems (sigh, PS4 Pro...) The cool thing about having a steady/known max output is you just have to design the cooler to handle that number. You don't have to "aim for the middle". But seeing how we haven't seen the hardware, yeah, anyone's guess.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Given how they went into detail on the power delivery solution (not exceeding a budget across the APU) I would be shocked if it still has blower sound problems (sigh, PS4 Pro...) The cool thing about having a steady/known max output is you just have to design the cooler to handle that number. You don't have to "aim for the middle". But seeing how we haven't seen the hardware, yeah, anyone's guess.

True that's a good point yeah. Speaking of coolers though, I feel like PC GPU coolers also should be designed with a low maximum volume in mind.

Oct 28, 2017
Hey guys. I am looking at building my first new PC in about 8 years. It's long overdue.

I am going to have to wait on the GPU because I can't afford to buy it with everything else right now. Here is what I have so far. I want to play at 1080p/60 for the foreseeable future.

AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Corsair Vengeance 16 GB
Corsair CXM 550W
ASUS ROG B450-F AM4 Mobo
NZXT H510 Case
Samsung 860 1TB
Seagate 1TB HDD

Probably going to either get a 2060 or 2070 soon, or maybe wait for the RTX refresh

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, I have all the parts at home except the CPU cooler. According to Amazon it should arrive by 8pm tonight but also according to Amazon it hasn't shipped yet. I was hoping to put it all together this weekend. I'm waffling on just waiting for the cooler or use the stock one for now and swap it out once it comes in.

From what I've seen the stock Wraith Prism in the 3700x box is perfectly fine for gaming and not too loud but on heavy lift tasks like video rendering it's pretty loud and runs kind of hot (86c from a couple reviews). I don't generally do marathon render sessions but 1-2 hours isn't uncommon. I'd rather it run cooler and quieter (why I bought aftermarket in the first place), but I'm also anxious to get it together.

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
When I started my PC today Instead of going to the mobo screen a white blinking line appeared in the top left of my display for around thirty seconds. Eventually the mobo screen came up and froze for ten seconds before finally taking me to the login screen. The login screen then began to flicker in and out with some green screen for a few second before finally working normally. Anyone have any ideas what's up with that?

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got everything but my Dark Rock PRO 4 cooler and my main NVME SSD. The UPS guy just came by and AGAIN SLAM DUNKED MY MOBO over the fence lmao!

But yea... It is starting to feel like it is time to get super excited! Man this ASUS TUF Gaming x570-PLUS (WIFI) is such a long and cringey name but I hope it serves me well!

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
When I started my PC today Instead of going to the mobo screen a white blinking line appeared in the top left of my display for around thirty seconds. Eventually the mobo screen came up and froze for ten seconds before finally taking me to the login screen. The login screen then began to flicker in and out with some green screen for a few second before finally working normally. Anyone have any ideas what's up with that?
Could be a lot of things but the first thing I jumped to was it sounds like a loose connection to the video card. The long pause at the start was probably a POST failure that restarted and passed a second time. Screen flickering is usually a video issue. I'd check the physical connections from the card to motherboard and any cables (power, HDMI/DisplayPort, etc) to start.

Saiyaman

Dec 19, 2017
Having a bit of a computer issue and was wondering if anyone could lend some advice. I was playing a video game on my PC earlier when the image cut off abruptly (as if the power had gone out). I realized that the power in my apartment was fine and it was just my PC. The power light on my case was still on, however, the rest of the pc (the fans, video card, heat sink, motherboard, etc) were all powered down. I held the power button and the case lights went off, tried to restart it, and then you'd see the fans blip for like a second and then power right back down.

I removed my video card first to test things and sure enough, the PC has powered back on and I'm able to post this. Should I take this as a video card issue? Could the power supply potentially be a problem? I've been using this hardware since I built the PC in November 2014 and this is the first time I'm having any kind of hardware issue.

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
Could be a lot of things but the first thing I jumped to was it sounds like a loose connection to the video card. The long pause at the start was probably a POST failure that restarted and passed a second time. Screen flickering is usually a video issue. I'd check the physical connections from the card to motherboard and any cables (power, HDMI/DisplayPort, etc) to start.
Huh. Upon checking it looks like my graphics card might not be fully seated into the riser cable even though the bracket on the back is perfectly lined up with the ports and i cant move it in any further. Maybe the Red Devil is just to big for this H1 build :/

Edit: Here's a pic
CDPlyDM.jpg

Last edited:

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Ugh, I have all the parts at home except the CPU cooler. According to Amazon it should arrive by 8pm tonight but also according to Amazon it hasn't shipped yet. I was hoping to put it all together this weekend. I'm waffling on just waiting for the cooler or use the stock one for now and swap it out once it comes in.

From what I've seen the stock Wraith Prism in the 3700x box is perfectly fine for gaming and not too loud but on heavy lift tasks like video rendering it's pretty loud and runs kind of hot (86c from a couple reviews). I don't generally do marathon render sessions but 1-2 hours isn't uncommon. I'd rather it run cooler and quieter (why I bought aftermarket in the first place), but I'm also anxious to get it together.

The stock Wraith Prism is actually damned good. It's quiet, it does a respectable job on cooling as well. AMD put a some work on making it a usable stock cooler and you could do worse than using this for a while. I'm using this in my HTPC build with a 2700x and it never overheats. I had even purchased an aftermarket cooler to replace it. It sits in my junk closet to this day.

Having a bit of a computer issue and was wondering if anyone could lend some advice. I was playing a video game on my PC earlier when the image cut off abruptly (as if the power had gone out). I realized that the power in my apartment was fine and it was just my PC. The power light on my case was still on, however, the rest of the pc (the fans, video card, heat sink, motherboard, etc) were all powered down. I held the power button and the case lights went off, tried to restart it, and then you'd see the fans blip for like a second and then power right back down.

I removed my video card first to test things and sure enough, the PC has powered back on and I'm able to post this. Should I take this as a video card issue? Could the power supply potentially be a problem? I've been using this hardware since I built the PC in November 2014 and this is the first time I'm having any kind of hardware issue.
This can happen if the PSU is having an issue as well. When you stated you tried to power it on and it only blipped is also an indication of this. This happens at times when the PSU overheats, and it takes a bit for it to go back to normal. How is the ventilation around the PSU? Any dust around or trapped in the PSU filter/fan/back of the PSU?

Last edited:

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
The stock Wraith Prism is actually damned good. It's quiet, it does a respectable job on cooling as well. AMD put a some work on making it a usable stock cooler and you could do worse than using this for a while. I'm using this in my HTPC build with a 2700x and it never overheats

Thanks for the reassurance. If the aftermarket doesn't show up today I'll just run stock and see what happens. I'm itching to put this thing together.

mmitt

Oct 27, 2017
IMHO, you need to look at how much you're willing to spend. The 1700 upgrade will cost you less, assuming your existing mobo can take the newer Ryzens, which most can. While the GPU up can be anywhere from $600 or more.

**Update** Your mobo can take the newer processors, but you'd need to flash the bios first. All the way up to the Ryzen 9 3950x.

www.asus.com

||ASUS USA

Recommendation, upgrade the CPU, and save some cash. If Nvidia does end up dropping the new card line-up, you'll end up seeing early adaptors selling their RTX cards to upgrade. Grab one of those cards and then wait it out. It happens every time a new GPU is released.

Yeah I already updated my BIOS a while ago and it should be good to go. I think getting the 3900x is going to be worthwhile.
Would've gotten an RTX 2070 for € 515 ($ 560 with VAT) but now that nvidia announced the conference I might aswell wait it out and see what they'll show there.

thanks for the reply!

Saiyaman

Dec 19, 2017
This can happen if the PSU is having an issue as well. When you stated you tried to power it on and it only blipped is also an indication of this. This happens at times when the PSU overheats, and it takes a bit for it to go back to normal. How is the ventilation around the PSU? Any dust around or trapped in the PSU filter/fan/back of the PSU?

I have one of those cases that isolate the PSU, so it has ridges on the bottom to push airflow out but it's encased on most of the other sides. I took the PSU out, checked the cables, checked for dust, took care of any dust I could see, reattached the cables, and checked for firmness. When I try booting up with the video card it gives me the previous problem, once I take out the video card everything seems to run normally. Unfortunately, I don't have another PC lying around to swap hardware and test.

PhantomFFR

Oct 25, 2017
Vienna, Austria, EU, Earth
Hey guys. I am looking at building my first new PC in about 8 years. It's long overdue.
I am going to have to wait on the GPU because I can't afford to buy it with everything else right now. Here is what I have so far. I want to play at 1080p/60 for the foreseeable future.
AMD Ryzen 5 3600

Will you be using your old GPU until you buy an RTX xx00? Otherwise due to the lack of an iGPU of the Ryzen 5 3600 I'd suggest to wait with the purchases, unless you expect prices to rise dramatically in the coming months.

Avenger54321

Oct 27, 2017
Gurnee
So I've been thinking about upgrading my PC from 2016/2017. Main things I'm looking at to upgrade is my:

i5-6500
MSI GAMING X RX480 8GB
8GB of DDR4 RAM

What would you guys recommend? I'm planning on sticking with playing at 1080p

DSN2K

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
SO im thinking of building new PC, I'm kind of stuck on GPU front. My Budget range is 1660 Super /5600 XT / 2060 . I have 1080p Display on my Desk and a 4K TV I wouldn't mind plugging my PC into occasionally. I'm pretty happy locking games at 30fps at 4K. I had alot fun with RX 580 / playing at 4K 30fps before. Would I better off saving some funds and getting 1660 Super instead anything more expansive ? I simply cant afford anything that will push Native 4K currently regardless so if I can Manage 30fps locked for some more Single player experiences i'm happy.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Got my NZXT build PC but it doesn't boot or display to a monitor. There's a red light on the mobo for the RAM. I'm assuming it's a bad stick of RAM. I don't know what else it could be.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
Trying to build a pc during quarantine, I have everything ordered except for the motherboard. Seems like mITX boards are sold out everywhere. Having no luck finding the x570 aorus :/ good thing my ncase m1 won't be here for a while.

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
So I think my graphics card is what's giving me problems as it doesn't properly fit in my H1 case. Anyone have any experience with retuning a GPU to Amazon?