• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Raydonn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I built a new PC yesterday and immediately realized that my 1TB NVMe 4.0 ain't enough for all my games. I want to pick up a 2TB sata ssd and was wondering if there was any exteme noticeable difference between a Samsung 860 Evo and something more affordable?
Negligible, just keep it at TLC+DRAM or better. (No QLC. no DRAM-less.)

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
is zowiedirect legit? It wouldn't let me buy a mouse from zowie.benq.com so I bought from there and my order has been processing for awhile. I know that obviously a mouse isn't essential so I don't care when it comes, just that it's coming eventually.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I need some advice. I followed a pcpartpicker guide and the recommended psu was 400w. The graphics card arrived today an d it's the RTX 2060 which says needs 500w psu minimum.
I'm still waiting for the case to arrive but should I try the 400w psu or not bother at all and get a 500w one straight away?

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I built a new PC yesterday and immediately realized that my 1TB NVMe 4.0 ain't enough for all my games. I want to pick up a 2TB sata ssd and was wondering if there was any exteme noticeable difference between a Samsung 860 Evo and something more affordable?
Games are way too big now.. My 4TB PCIE 4.0 NVME RAID 0 array is feeling a bit too cozy even.

mmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I have a bit of cash to spare and would like to upgrade my PC, my current specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 (non x)
MB: ASUS Crosshair VI HERO
GPU: GTX 1080
Monitor: Acer XB271HU (1440p, 165 Hz, G-SYNC)

I have decent offers for either an RTX 2070 SUPER or a Ryzen 3900x
Thinking my CPU is not going to keep up that much longer, but on the other hand I would really like to try RTX.

Any advice? :) thanks

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I have a bit of cash to spare and would like to upgrade my PC, my current specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 (non x)
MB: ASUS Crosshair VI HERO
GPU: GTX 1080
Monitor: Acer XB271HU (1440p, 165 Hz, G-SYNC)

I have decent offers for either an RTX 2070 SUPER or a Ryzen 3900x
Thinking my CPU is not going to keep up that much longer, but on the other hand I would really like to try RTX.

Hmmm. I think you should be sitting pretty good for the rest of the year with those specs, honestly. That's still a pretty nice setup. I would wait until the end of the year, you should be able to get a much more substantial upgrade for your cash in six months with a 3070/3080 and Ryzen 4000.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
Hm i might get some of the just released Eiszyklon Aurora LUX PRO 2 D-RGB over the Corsair QL Series for my new build. They look fanastic, cost only 17€ per fan and have the way better cooling performance.

c0HUz2fDeMtH3aD1.jpg

Some more infos at techpowerup

B1ggRandall

Oct 27, 2017
Hey I wanna play more PC games but I suck with keyboard and mouse! What is a good keyboard to start with? Hell it could be one of those changing colors keyboards! Lmaoo

Last edited:

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware

**SNIP**

Hmmm. I think you should be sitting pretty good for the rest of the year with those specs, honestly. That's still a pretty nice setup. I would wait until the end of the year, you should be able to get a much more substantial upgrade for your cash in six months with a 3070/3080 and Ryzen 4000.

There is no confirmed release date for the Nvidia Ampere, just rumors and we don't know if COVID-19 is going to affect whatever date we get. Same with the AMD's Ryzen 4000, which was supposedly going to be unveiled at Computex. Which was pushed back until September 2020, if that even happens.

IMHO, you need to look at how much you're willing to spend. The 1700 upgrade will cost you less, assuming your existing mobo can take the newer Ryzens, which most can. While the GPU up can be anywhere from $600 or more.

**Update** Your mobo can take the newer processors, but you'd need to flash the bios first. All the way up to the Ryzen 9 3950x.

www.asus.com

||ASUS USA

Recommendation, upgrade the CPU, and save some cash. If Nvidia does end up dropping the new card line-up, you'll end up seeing early adaptors selling their RTX cards to upgrade. Grab one of those cards and then wait it out. It happens every time a new GPU is released.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Question is there a video or article for newbies about gaming computers? I'm so use to consoles plug in and play but I'm guessing my PC might be a bit different even if it's a prebuilt. Is it pretty easy to update drivers and everything? What tempurers do I have to look at because I really want to test this beast!!!

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Question is there a video or article for newbies about gaming computers? I'm so use to consoles plug in and play but I'm guessing my PC might be a bit different even if it's a prebuilt. Is it pretty easy to update drivers and everything? What tempurers do I have to look at because I really want to test this beast!!!

For the most part, drivers are handled by the OS (Windows 10), with video drivers being handled by AMD's or Nvidia's control panel software. So it's pretty much seamless anymore. It sees an update, and you can set the OS up to auto-update or download them and install them when you want to.

The only time it is an issue is when you are running an older piece of hardware that doesn't have updated drivers, but seeing how you have a pre-built you should be fine.

Steam, UPlay, Origin or any game launcher handles game updates. It seems it, downloads and installs them. Nothing for you to do.

For videos, check out this list -> https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Every+NEW+PC+Gamer+Should+KNOW

You didn't mention what proc is in your PC, but there is software to monitor your PC temps. Plus if your PC gets really hot, to the point where it shouldn't, it will power off the PC. I recommend any of the following to see your temps, and more.

1. Speccy - https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy
2. HW Monitor - https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
3. Core Temp - https://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Lastly, why not drop your questions here, someone will likely help you out ;)

MaDKaT

Oct 27, 2017
Looking for some advice. Been tinkering on my PC during the quarantine and flushing/rebuilding my cooling loop, replacing my multiple rads with a single extra large rad and general simplifying but wondering if an aftermarket waterblock for a 2080ti would be worth looking into. I currently have an Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce that the stock hoses cracked on me long ago. I ended up removing the stock lines and looping the card into my main loop, keeping the pump and running it in series. My current concern is that it seems to be the bottleneck in my system since the inlet/outlet are a good deal smaller than my current loop hose. However, Im not really getting all that warm. System hovers low 30's at idle and unless benching, generally hovers mid to upper 60's. So as I typed this all out I guess I really have 2 questions

1: Would a aftermarket waterblock be worth while? or..

2: Is there something new coming down the pipe relatively soon that I could/should wait for?

Appreciate the input.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
For the most part, drivers are handled by the OS (Windows 10), with video drivers being handled by AMD's or Nvidia's control panel software. So it's pretty much seamless anymore. It sees an update, and you can set the OS up to auto-update or download them and install them when you want to.

The only time it is an issue is when you are running an older piece of hardware that doesn't have updated drivers, but seeing how you have a pre-built you should be fine.

Steam, UPlay, Origin or any game launcher handles game updates. It seems it, downloads and installs them. Nothing for you to do.

For videos, check out this list -> https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Every+NEW+PC+Gamer+Should+KNOW

You didn't mention what proc is in your PC, but there is software to monitor your PC temps. Plus if your PC gets really hot, to the point where it shouldn't, it will power off the PC. I recommend any of the following to see your temps, and more.

1. Speccy - https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy
2. HW Monitor - https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
3. Core Temp - https://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Lastly, why not drop your questions here, someone will likely help you out ;)
Ok perfect doesn't seem to bad then!! Can't wait for it to get here but it doesn't tell June 3rd...

Ricky

Oct 25, 2017
I should be getting the rest of my parts delivered tomorrow. Once everything is powered on, is there a tool or something that will allow me to see if everything is running properly? This is my first build so I'm a bit nervous.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
I should be getting the rest of my parts delivered tomorrow. Once everything is powered on, is there a tool or something that will allow me to see if everything is running properly? This is my first build so I'm a bit nervous.

You can run any of the benchmarking tools noted in the OP to stress test your parts.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017

I've had good results with all three of the Evo, Crucial MX, and Western Digital blue SSD

Flammable D

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks for all the help, my new PC is finally built! (Might take some photos tomorrow once the cables are sorted)

I went for the Aorus x570 I Pro Wifi and Ryzen 3600x as suggested and all seems mostly well.

Couple of questions you guys may or may not know the answer to:

1. BIOS settings: do I need to change anything in there really? I turned on the XMP profile (1) for my RAM which I understand should get it to run at 3200 as it should?
  2. The motherboard only has one fan header, so my 230mm intake and my normal size (i think 120) exhaust are both running using a y-splitter. Is this the best way to go? The system is still pretty loud.
  3. My CPU fan is running at 2600 RPM, is that normal ish? The two fans above are reporting 595 RPM (I think that's the small exhaust fan providing that info)
Thanks guys

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
I decided to install 3DMark to check out what my gpu can do and have had some problems. The first time i ran it it got a couple second in before stopping and giving me a score of 0. I tried to run it again and a couple seconds in my computer black screened and restarted. The only thing I've done to my pc is enable X.M.P. Any idea what the problem could be?

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
I decided to install 3DMark to check out what my gpu can do and have had some problems. The first time i ran it it got a couple second in before stopping and giving me a score of 0. I tried to run it again and a couple seconds in my computer black screened and restarted. The only thing I've done to my pc is enable X.M.P. Any idea what the problem could be?
Well at least let us know what your build is. CPU, GPU, and PSU (in case of power related issues).

Raydonn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My bad.

CPU - Ryzen 3600
GPU - Powercolor 5700XT
PSU - 650W SFX-L 80Plus Gold
1. You have both the PCI-E power cables to the GPU, right?
2. AMD released a new driver today that should solve most black screen issues. 20.4.2.
3. Make sure chipset drivers are updated.
4. Make sure nothing is OC'ed first, including RAM to eliminate the possibility of unstable OC.

What are the rankings. What is best type?
Check out Crazymoogle 's SSD guide that was threadmarked.
www.resetera.com

The PC Builders Thread ("I Need a New PC") v3 PC - Tech - OT

SSD Guide Modern PC SSDs have a few specs you need to be aware of before you purchase. (Don't worry, it's easier than it sounds!) INTERFACE: SATA (old), NVMe (new) SIZE: 3.5" (big), 2.5", M.2 (tiny) FLASH: QLC (slow/cheap), TLC, SLC (fast/expensive) CACHE: Does it have its own RAM? Q: Can my...

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
2. AMD released a new driver today that should solve most black screen issues. 20.4.2.
4. Make sure nothing is OC'ed first, including RAM to eliminate the possibility of unstable OC.
1. Yes

2. I'll do that

3. I just did that yesterday but I'll check again to make sure

4. This means I should disable X.M.P. right?

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
The rest of my stuff should be here by Wednesday. Damn is Newegg shopping slow. Can't wait. I need to time skip or something

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017

Check out Crazymoogle 's SSD guide that was threadmarked.
www.resetera.com

The PC Builders Thread ("I Need a New PC") v3 PC - Tech - OT

SSD Guide Modern PC SSDs have a few specs you need to be aware of before you purchase. (Don't worry, it's easier than it sounds!) INTERFACE: SATA (old), NVMe (new) SIZE: 3.5" (big), 2.5", M.2 (tiny) FLASH: QLC (slow/cheap), TLC, SLC (fast/expensive) CACHE: Does it have its own RAM? Q: Can my...
Thanks for the ssd link

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
20200423-213127.jpg
20200423-221852.jpg
20200423-214318.jpg

My cable management sucks..I know..but..

CPU: Intel i7
Ram: 32GB PC3200 DDR4
GPU: ASUS ROG Strix Radeon RX 5700XT
PSU: Corsair HTX 1200W
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB

Well, the Meshify C does look much better and has a good flow if you add two front 140mm fans. Or use an AIO, whatever works for you.

This one is mine (shamelessly reposting, I should just make a threadmark lol)
R3600builddark.jpg

I don't think you need to spend 600-700 on a monitor, but it depends on what your perspective of a good monitor is.

For me? 27" IPS, 144hz and 1440p. In my end of the world I can get that for around ~300 USD, but the actual monitor and pricing is very fluid right now based on the supply chain. We have some people here that are debating very expensive G-SYNC HDR panels and LG OLED (~thousands) as well as cheap 1080p144 monitors and everything inbetween.

Im looking to add those thermaltake fans inside my case. What do I need to support themt? I want them right in front of my frontal intake fan.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia

Im looking to add those thermaltake fans inside my case. What do I need to support themt? I want them right in front of my frontal intake fan.

That's a lot of case. Like a LOT. Good job

The Riing Trio (and now the Riing Quad) come with a controller if you buy them in a 3 pack. The controller is *necessary* because as with Corsair, the fans are proprietary in that they use USB instead of 4pin. It makes setup easy - only one cable per fan, not two - however, the included controller is the "cheapo" version:
  • MOLEX power connector
  • Cannot interface with 3pin ARGB motherboard connector
Thermaltake sells a *separate* controller, the TT Sync, which has a SATA power connector and *can* connect to the 3pin ARGB system (and as such advertises support for Aurasync, polychrome, etc). But the only way to get this is to buy it on its own.

Anyway apart from that Thermaltake and Corsair both connect to the PC by using a USB2 hub connector (motherboard 9pin). Most enthusiast boards have 2-3 of them so I don't think this will be a problem for you.

Oct 29, 2017
20200423-213127.jpg
20200423-221852.jpg
20200423-214318.jpg

CPU: Intel i7
Ram: 32GB PC3200 DDR4
GPU: ASUS ROG Strix Radeon RX 5700XT
PSU: Corsair HTX 1200W
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB

Is that X99? Don't you lose quad-channel by having all the ram on one side of the socked?

Fox318

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got a shelf for my PC to live on. Looks like I will need to buy some cables and monitors.

Debating on what my setup should be. I'm tempted to get one 32:9 and 1 21:9 monitor.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
That's a lot of case. Like a LOT. Good job

The Riing Trio (and now the Riing Quad) come with a controller if you buy them in a 3 pack. The controller is *necessary* because as with Corsair, the fans are proprietary in that they use USB instead of 4pin. It makes setup easy - only one cable per fan, not two - however, the included controller is the "cheapo" version:
  • MOLEX power connector
  • Cannot interface with 3pin ARGB motherboard connector
Thermaltake sells a *separate* controller, the TT Sync, which has a SATA power connector and *can* connect to the 3pin ARGB system (and as such advertises support for Aurasync, polychrome, etc). But the only way to get this is to buy it on its own.

Anyway apart from that Thermaltake and Corsair both connect to the PC by using a USB2 hub connector (motherboard 9pin). Most enthusiast boards have 2-3 of them so I don't think this will be a problem for you.
Okay. Im just wondering if they are wide enough for my case. I want to configure all 3 right there in the front of the intake.

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Okay. Im just wondering if they are wide enough for my case. I want to configure all 3 right there in the front of the intake.

You would have to check your manual on that one. On my meshify C I'm using 2x front 140mm because the case supports 3x120mm, but the bottom 120 actually sits inside the PSU shroud so it's better to have 2x140mm sitting on top of the shroud, and then the other 140mm on the top. I couldn't fit two 140mm on top because on the Meshify C the backmost fan is right on top of the ATX 24pin power connector and while it would "technically" fit the fan would cover the grommet making routing really, really awkward. Your case is huge though so maybe fine?

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
You would have to check your manual on that one. On my meshify C I'm using 2x front 140mm because the case supports 3x120mm, but the bottom 120 actually sits inside the PSU shroud so it's better to have 2x140mm sitting on top of the shroud, and then the other 140mm on the top. I couldn't fit two 140mm on top because on the Meshify C the backmost fan is right on top of the ATX 24pin power connector and while it would "technically" fit the fan would cover the grommet making routing really, really awkward. Your case is huge though so maybe fine?
I think I can fit all 3 140mm thermal fans in this beast. and still have room for a PSU shroud for the bottom. Of course Im theorizing without any actual numbers. But looking at the top. It looks doable. Theres alot of space int here.

Apr 3, 2020
I need some advice. I followed a pcpartpicker guide and the recommended psu was 400w. The graphics card arrived today an d it's the RTX 2060 which says needs 500w psu minimum.
I'm still waiting for the case to arrive but should I try the 400w psu or not bother at all and get a 500w one straight away?

I'm new to the pc building, but one of the first thing I've learnt is never go cheap on your PSU. You've to bear in mind is that not the GPU is the only part needs power, also investing in decent PSU isn't one time investment

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
Any reccomendations on monitors?

Right now I'm looking at LG 27GL850-B 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($499.99 @ Best Buy)

I'm going to be using it for video editing, digital illustrations and gaming. 144hz is preferred but I would go down if I can get a higher resolution at an equal or smaller display size. 27 is the largest I can go but 24 is my ideal display. I'm used to using my 15inch retina with a 2880 x 1800 so I really want to have a high resolution pixel dense display. Also IPS is important.

I'm trying not to spend more than $600 on it but if its not wildly higher like say above $750 I can swing it. I realize I may have the best display Im going to find for myself within this range already, but hoping I could be wrong.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Any reccomendations on monitors?

Right now I'm looking at LG 27GL850-B 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($499.99 @ Best Buy)

I'm going to be using it for video editing, digital illustrations and gaming. 144hz is preferred but I would go down if I can get a higher resolution at an equal or smaller display size. 27 is the largest I can go but 24 is my ideal display. I'm used to using my 15inch retina with a 2880 x 1800 so I really want to have a high resolution pixel dense display. Also IPS is important.

I'm trying not to spend more than $600 on it but if its not wildly higher like say above $750 I can swing it. I realize I may have the best display Im going to find for myself within this range already, but hoping I could be wrong.
ASUS TUF Gaming VG27BQ

BFIB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's my build, gaming at 1080P. Next up will be 144Hz monitor:

Ryzen 5 3600
EVGA RTX 2060
16 GB 3200 MHz
MSI X570 A Pro motherboard
1 TB Nvme SSD

I'll get the PS5 next year, but aiming for my 3rd party games on PC.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
How much would you need to spend on audio equipment to get a noticeable/major upgrade over just using Hyperx Cloud 2 and calling it a day? Mostly for gaming.